• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Bans are happening in droves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks are getting banned left and right for character development unattended macroing. This is a heads up to everyone, they are banning indiscriminately. It doesn't matter if you're training a skill, watching an area doing a player count, or doing something for financial gain. Folks are dropping like flies.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice. :thumbup1:

...assuming this is legit. Probably only temp bans I take it.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks are getting banned left and right for character development unattended macroing. This is a heads up to everyone, they are banning indiscriminately.
Not really indiscriminate at all. Unattended macroing has always been against the rules, if you're right then finally they seem to be doing something serious about it, but it's most certainly not 'indiscriminate', it's exactly what it should be - targetting those breaking the rules....

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks are getting banned left and right for character development unattended macroing. This is a heads up to everyone, they are banning indiscriminately. It doesn't matter if you're training a skill, watching an area doing a player count, or doing something for financial gain. Folks are dropping like flies.
Hope its true but what is your evidence?

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nothing about speed hacking or scripting you notice ... how did they relieve some scripting resource gathering ? ... by varying the ore/wood locations, not doing a damn thing about scripter's/speed hacking. It will never be fixed.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah just people UMing. Is there some type of post from the devs stating or did the OP hear a couple of friends say they got banned. Is he assuming droves of peeeps getting banned?

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
actually middle of a pvp battle last night nearly half a guild disappeared mid spell cast. Banned. icqs of all those opponents were banned perma. most of the people banned are claiming they were perma banned.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If innocent people are being banned (based on Pyccys deleted post) It's such a shame. :( I know if I were perma banned I would probably call it quits, No idea how easy it is to get such a ban removed if it was applied to a good account.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
actually middle of a pvp battle last night nearly half a guild disappeared mid spell cast. Banned. icqs of all those opponents were banned perma. most of the people banned are claiming they were perma banned.

Wow mid battle. So it sounds like it wasnt for UMing but more the use of speed and hacks.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh this is completely different than UA macroing... seems like the scripting/speed hackers are getting the axe after all :)

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the reasons cited for them, at least according to them are the message was unattended macroing.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If innocent people are being banned (based on Pyccys deleted post) It's such a shame. :( I know if I were perma banned I would probably call it quits, No idea how easy it is to get such a ban removed if it was applied to a good account.
no innocents are being banned, that's just more BS cheaters say to cause problems.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
code is where they get their info from, it's not an 'eyeballing' guess we're talking about... it's from Cal's 'spreadsheet' reports.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I must of missed that post or thread it was in so not sure about the Pyccys post. Not to be pointing fingers or accusing others even wrongly accussed, but we all know when a person is accused of doing something wrong they deny. MOST and I say again MOST do say they are innocent. It happens in real life and it will happen in the game. We asked for something to be done about cheating and the community knew it may happen.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just what the game needs...:(

This method has been tried before and proven unsuccessful Ala Draconi and his Fire Burning Buildings in Luna.

Cal you issued a statement saying there were going to be warnings to players that we're found in violation of the ToS prior to permanent bannings.

Currently your not keeping your word...

Do the right thing and give players found in violation a final warning prior to a permanently banning their account.

History has clearly proven the method currently being used doesn't work. He we are 12 years later dealing with the same old issues.

I just don't see what benefit came come from banning players without at least given them a written last warning.

It's not the right way to handle the situation and regardless of where you stand losing players is not healthy for the game.

I support EA going after speedhackers and exploiters but not those unattending macroing or scripting. So if The Devs are going after programs that hack the client then I applaud them but I still maintain the stance that a final warning should be issued.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the warning was Cal saying something will be done, warning was already given.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do the right thing and give players found in violation a final warning prior to a permanently banning their account.
LOL
All the producers letters lately, All the posts and talk and chatter about it lately, the ToS, the RoC, and let's not forget common sense.
I would say there has been plenty of warning.
*shrugs*
Que sera, sera...

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Cal you issued a statement saying there were going to be warnings to players that we're found in violation of the ToS prior to permanent bannings.

Currently your not keeping your word...
Based on his most recent Producer's Update (10 September), he is:

Criteria for taking action are based on frequency of the offense. For example, account X was found using program Y, Z number of times. This implies that the account/player willfully violated the terms of the game. High frequency violators will be removed from the game. Low frequency violators will be warned and in time suspended if the offense continues.
Low-frequency violators get warned--high-frequency violators get banned.

SourceMythic Entertainment | Ultima Online - Play the 14-Day Free Trial!

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
keep in mind the vast majority of players are not reading websites....

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
may i ask what shard you are on ? *jeopardy theme*

C

canary

They have had months worth of Cal saying something will be done, so I for one do not feel bad if bans are indeed being handed out.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the warning was Cal saying something will be done, warning was already given.
Not that they should have to give a warning in the first place. lol If someone is cheating then tough luck.

Although I do recall several times when they mentioned they did not want to be handing out mass perma-bans but unique punishments instead.

Perhaps they will be getting some unique punishments after their ban is over assuming they really just got slapped with a temp.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They have had months worth of Cal saying something will be done, so I for one do not feel bad if bans are indeed being handed out.
and considering that most players don't read this games website or stratics, what warning did they get?

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its would be nice to know if this is actually happening, or if this was just more U.Hall hyperbole.

Don't hold your breath awaiting an answer.

B

Beer_Cayse

And before anyone jumps on this with "I didn't necessarily agree!", you tacitly agree each time you start up the UO client of your choice. That means you agree to all rules and conditions because you decided to play the game.

Frankly I like the extra little in-your-face reminder EQ2extended (and others) implemented - you need to ACCEPT the rules each login.

Dubar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what little ive been able to gather, seems like theyre using unattended macroing as the reason even if its for 3rd party program usage, because they dont have a canned response for the latter yet

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and considering that most players don't read this games website or stratics, what warning did they get?
If they aren't checking out the game website for those weekly updates then it's their fault. It's on their main website that they are making plans to deal with them. If they can't be bothered to keep up with what is changing and plans for future developments, tough luck.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
keep in mind the vast majority of players are not reading websites....
Dont matter if they read the websites or not. They knew they were cheating. We are human beings and know between right and wrong.

So if a person misses mutiple memos at work because their to lazy to read them that they will be fired for repeating infractions. They were giving mutiple warnings and still continued to repeat these work infractions. So later can they try claim that they didnt read the memos so give them another chance? I am 100% pretty sure that doesn't work in the real world and it shouldn't work in a game when they are repeatable offenders.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
at minimum... TOS. everyone and their mother knows that 'cheaters' are abusing the system. were they born yesterday ?

G

Green Mouser

Alot of defending of the chea...umm I mean banned. Scared they might have someone in their targets u? Have to ask considering your stand.

Seems odd that anyone would be defending what has been asked for over and over and over again. Except maybe by you.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you serious? Lets see, with the new general chat system its obviously been discussed and the devs laughed at in the game b/c they wont do anything. Other people do read and talk in icq's and guild forums. So these players that got banned dont read stratics at all for new gimp templates? Be serious here. There is no excuse. Its been openly discussed here on stratics and in the game.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
seems strange, banning for raise a new character is not that bad... surely there is something else behind...

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont matter if they read the websites or not. They knew they were cheating. We are human beings and know between right and wrong.

So if a person misses mutiple memos at work because their to lazy to read them that they will be fired for repeating infractions. They were giving mutiple warnings and still continued to repeat these work infractions. So later can they try claim that they didnt read the memos so give them another chance? I am 100% pretty sure that doesn't work in the real world and it shouldn't work in a game when they are repeatable offenders.
The website is not a memo system. this is a game. people play to play. people go to work to do work and follow orders and/or give them.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah God forbid they have a clear update system in the game...
One of those is certainly badly needed, for a lot of issues - but not this one, really. People have always been told that unattended macroing is against the rules - admittedly it became a common practice for a lot of people since it was never enforced consistently or properly, and so people got complacent, but it was never allowed.

Maybe a 'reminder' on the login splash screen would have been possible, but I can't say I'm too upset if they have just gone ahead and started enforcing the rules properly without that extra 'warning'. I just hope they are doing it sensibly and checking when there is any doubt about the player's actions, just because something triggers a monitoring program and gets an entry on a spreadsheet does not automatically mean it's a genuine 'catch'.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you serious? Lets see, with the new general chat system its obviously been discussed and the devs laughed at in the game b/c they wont do anything. Other people do read and talk in icq's and guild forums. So these players that got banned dont read stratics at all for new gimp templates? Be serious here. There is no excuse. Its been openly discussed here on stratics and in the game.
see that's just it, EVERYONE knows about it; the cheaters for obvious reasons, the non-cheaters cause they want it fixed... everyone knows already.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you have chat on? I looked at it the first day. Saw all profanity over 2 guys fighting at some thing in abyss and turned it off forever.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of those is certainly badly needed, for a lot of issues - but not this one, really. People have always been told that unattended macroing is against the rules - admittedly it became a common practice for a lot of people since it was never enforced consistently or properly, and so people got complacent, but it was never allowed.

Maybe a 'reminder' on the login splash screen would have been possible, but I can't say I'm too upset if they have just gone ahead and started enforcing the rules properly without that extra 'warning'. I just hope they are doing it sensibly and checking when there is any doubt about the player's actions, just because something triggers a monitoring program and gets an entry on a spreadsheet does not automatically mean it's a genuine 'catch'.
in the past all they had to do was ban people doing obviously objectionable behavior. From what I gather on THESE forums. MOST players don't care if you script or unattended macro for pure skill gain so long as you aren't engaging in economic activities.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what I gather on THESE forums. MOST players don't care if you script or unattended macro for pure skill gain so long as you aren't engaging in economic activities.
Probably so - but we're the players - we don't make the rules, we just agree to abide by them.....

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in the past all they had to do was ban people doing obviously objectionable behavior. From what I gather on THESE forums. MOST players don't care if you script or unattended macro for pure skill gain so long as you aren't engaging in economic activities.
I'm not sure why people care so much about training skills illegally (unless you like to be a policeman) I don't see skill training via macros and making no money at all bad as it is affecting no one. People have always done it, Either via a macro and a stack of coins in a hotkey or uoassist and again something heavy on the keyboard.

Yes it's illegal but it does no one no harm, that person is likely to GM Skill X either way, Trouble is it mixes in with money making and huge cheats nowadays.

There is still something hugely satisfying about 120ing Animal Taming manually though, And I feel sorry for the scripters who miss that bit. :p

T

thenow

Sounds like some one got banned, and needs to vent their pain. Ban them all I say!!! If not for cheaters then UO populaion would be much higher then it is.This BS about UO will die when the cheaters get ban is such pure BS propaganda. People will come back if UO are banning cheaters.

PS- facebook bah, I kept going to tick 'like' on alot of posts :))

O

Old Man of UO

Funny that people are getting upset over hearsay. I mean, if it didn't actually happen to you, you don't know the facts, you don't know that they weren't warned. They lied to EA about not breaking the TOS, they could be lying to you.

Next someone will say maybe they didn't even know they were cheating. Right.

*Waits for the "I WAZ WRONGLY BANNED BY EA" posts*

:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.