• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) The *Absent Friends* Babble Thread

Peelyposter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello everyone. Glad to see some familiar faces in the babble thread after all these years. Hope everyone is well and having fun.

cambylobacter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Even though i stopped playing over 5 years ago, I still have the fondest memories of UO and try to keep in touch now and again.

13 years ago, I met a player called Stormcrow - he had a mercenary guild based just east of Yew and I was invited to become a part of it. UO was my first MMO - as it was for many - and roleplaying was new to me. I was a trainer at the time, and on the particular day I created my first character had spent the day teaching Food Hygiene. I sat on the character screen wondering what on Earth to call myself - all I knew was I was going to create a coloured woman, and going to roleplay an upper class lady who had lost her inheritance and who acted beyond the means she actually possessed. A bacteria I had talked about stuck in my head - Campylobacter Jejuni. I liked the word, and opted to call my character Cambylobacter as I didnt want to be referred to as Camp or Campy.

Back to Yew, and The Iron Glove Mercenaries. We had some wonderful months: I remember operating with The Knights Templar, defending Vesper from Zen's Judges, fighting a certain Aston Villa supporter in Felluca, dealing with cheeky serf's in Trinsic and dark characters in the Darkcloaks. Wonderful days. In 2002 Camby married a wonderful player called Belkon Dra which I found perfectly reasonable regardless of the fact I'm a socially adjusted, heterosexual male! In 2003 Stormcrow had to leave and I had the responsibility to run the guild put upon me - something I was not prepared for or competent enough to do given the time I had. I tried for several months to keep my guild running, but a social life and work commitments made that difficult. Some of my guild members had higher ambitions. I remember with fondness one of my dearest guildmembers, Paladis. Who was I to know he was a dirty Kaldorian!

With The Iron Gloves running on autopilot as real life overwhelmed me, guildies such as Paladis and Garion worked to move on to their next ambition, setting up The Kaldorians. They were a great addition to the roleplaying community, and whilst at the time I was somewhat put out that they put their efforts elsewhere rather than help run IGC, I quickly realised it was the best thing. Camby went into hiding for some time before returning to her birthplace of Cove and joining the Covians in a half-hearted attempt to grow old gracefully.

Cove brings specific memories to me - of Terry and Petra Fyde's shop where I bought my first Silver Katana of something or other. Of the graveyard where I started developing my character. Of my first small house i had in the game. Of a wonderful little virtual life in a sleepy village after a hard day's reality.

And then, when I awakened to the fact I was spending more time playing UO than working; when I realised I was missing real life social events to claim a BOD or go dragon hunting in Destard, I realised it was time for me to move on.

I'm not ashamed to recall how I left - I took Camby to the location where her and Belkon Dra had got married 4 or 5 years earlier, logged out, uninstalled the game and cried profusely. It felt like I was losing best friends.

The power and impact of UO to me is not lost to this day. I remember meeting Laton and many others at the UO drinkathon in London. More I met the year later such as Petra, when I arranged the next real life meet up in Nottingham - we were all dying to meet Petra back then who was a legend in the making already and picked Nottingham specifically so she could come. She always got more attention than Terry, I'm not sure why :D

There are too many names for me to mention that I have met and moved on from in Ultima Online. I'm sure we're all the same that the diversity and depth of the people we met in our virtual lives has touched us all. All I can say is, that I don't want to reinstall UO. I don't want to wake Lady Cambylobacter Seraph from her long sleep; she deserves it. I want to remember fondly the wonderful times and people I knew. The real secret is that Ultima Online isn't an MMO; it isn't somewhere to take a character from level 1, to level 2, to level 3; it isn't somewhere to play the auction house or do some PvP: It's our second life. I can recall the waters north of Cove. I remember the swamps that consumed Yew. I remember standing side by side with strangers in The Gauntlet, saving each others lives and never meeting again. I remember my first visit to Felluca and the chill as I saw the trees with no leaves, the sound effect as I gated in and the sight of a name in red. I remember entering Shame and the first time I dared to go down to the second level. I remember everyone I ever met and I thank you all for those memories whether you read this or not.

For the majority here who I don't know and don't know me, I have no doubt my feelings mirror yours. Ultima Online is our second life. Don't ever neglect your first one, and don't ever forget our virtual one. I haven't.

Bless you all,

Camby.

Nilrem

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Long time no see :)
It's good to see the familiar faces lurking around, even if the babble does seem a little weak these days.

Just popped in here and realised I haven't installed UO on my machine since the haswell upgrade, installing it now to see if it still runs as "well" on a stupidly fast machine as it used to ;)

I haven't played much for years, but i'm getting an itch (fortunately I've kept the account running).

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear Lord You'll be welcome back

Angry misses you...........

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Long time no see :)
It's good to see the familiar faces lurking around, even if the babble does seem a little weak these days.

Just popped in here and realised I haven't installed UO on my machine since the haswell upgrade, installing it now to see if it still runs as "well" on a stupidly fast machine as it used to ;)

I haven't played much for years, but i'm getting an itch (fortunately I've kept the account running).
You would also be very welcome back in OTNHB, even if only to even-up the "non-yank" vs. "yank" debates. ;)

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad to see the babble thread is still a stomping ground for a multitude of old friends, way aye the Stratics ! /thumbs up

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There used to be a soulstone graveyard on the shard. Not sure who inherited it though. others will know for sure.
Hello Serafi. Long itme no see!
I doubt you remeber but we used to play in the same guild a couple of years ago with Cail, argantes etc.

I seem to remember a soulstone graveyard in the Tokuno City but i cant find it :(
Its really sad that there is no way to recalim your rewards. I mean the soulstones are account bout anyway.

Another question that someone might answer.
Ive dont remeber the password for one of my accounts. I do know the username but im not sure what email that was registered to so the "forgot password" feature doesnt really help me.
Is there someone you can conntact about things like this? Either ingame or by mail?

Cheers

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[email protected]

Be prepared for a long drawn out process before they will pass out any details.

I was at your idoc in zento but arrived late, I didn't see any soul stones, if you shout raze in alliance chat I'm sure he mentioned to me that he was at your keep idoc

Soul stone graveyard use to be in trinsic, the devs have since give turn in points for old stones which I seem to remember causing security issues over the grave yard and people actually handing in soul stones. I'm sure someone will have more of an idea on this...

Oh and welcome back!

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello Serafi. Long itme no see!
I doubt you remeber but we used to play in the same guild a couple of years ago with Cail, argantes etc.

I seem to remember a soulstone graveyard in the Tokuno City but i cant find it :(
Its really sad that there is no way to recalim your rewards. I mean the soulstones are account bout anyway.

Another question that someone might answer.
Ive dont remeber the password for one of my accounts. I do know the username but im not sure what email that was registered to so the "forgot password" feature doesnt really help me.
Is there someone you can conntact about things like this? Either ingame or by mail?

Cheers

Ello trouble!

Not playin just now - far too much going on in RL. But feel free to give me a shout via FB if you're still on there. Happy to help out if I can :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all, busy busy lately, not much time to babble, sowwy!

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ello trouble!

Not playin just now - far too much going on in RL. But feel free to give me a shout via FB if you're still on there. Happy to help out if I can :)

Hello Hun

Nice to see your name again!
Im not sure how much im going to play but im trying to play a couple of ours each week at least :)

Lots has changed though! Strange loot in shame, reforging, pirates etc.
Lost way more then i thought i would when my keep decayed. like 10 soulstones, with skills on em. My red has 100 Anatomy on him the rest is was all on stones same with my treassure hunter, only LP left.

I will be fine though as allways :)

[email protected]

Be prepared for a long drawn out process before they will pass out any details.

I was at your idoc in zento but arrived late, I didn't see any soul stones, if you shout raze in alliance chat I'm sure he mentioned to me that he was at your keep idoc

Soul stone graveyard use to be in trinsic, the devs have since give turn in points for old stones which I seem to remember causing security issues over the grave yard and people actually handing in soul stones. I'm sure someone will have more of an idea on this...

Oh and welcome back!

Yeah i just got an email form then asking for a lot of information. Im not the first owner of this account so there is no chanse i can get all that information but ill do my best.

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Cobra, glad you're not dead ! ;)

Sorry to keep discussing UO in the babble thread (/shame) but where do you get those little boats that look like rowing boats....?

See, I had one in deed form, but I just went AFK on an island in Felucca and it turns out it wasn't as vacant as I imagined.

Kudos to Videx (Vinex?) of the Shadowlords for not gorging himself on my possessions, but now I have to replace the one thing he did nab !

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they are rowboats, and you get them from Sea Market - and you can insure the deed

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*picks babble up and dusts it off*

I don't know, poor thing nearly ended up on page two again!

Hello everyone, just swinging by to say hi before my life becomes even more manic again; I've got the shop for the next two years, so that's two more six month periods of working 18hrs a day, seven days a week! S'good fun though, and if anyone finds themselves in my part of the world, come say hello, the kettle is always on :)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hello you. You're missed btw, just in case you wondered :D

Keep practising, your aim will improve :p

I miss you guys too, and my guild and everyone else. But I'm having SUCH a blast with all this real life crafting - spinning, dyeing, chainmail, beadwork, sewing, it's SO much fun. And although it seriously wears me out, I love doing the shop, it's wonderful to meet so many people from all over the world. We even get Disney tours through! There were almost fifteen thousand visitors through last year, and I'm expecting more this year, we've got forty cruise ships and counting booked in so far. The history of the place is fascinating, and I'm having great fun recreating some of the traditional crafting techniques, like plant dyeing. And I'm hoping to build a working Iron Age loom this year too, and spin the fibre to use on it :)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're making the place live! Congrats, and long may you continue to enjoy it.
As long as I'm enjoying it, I'll keep doing it :)

And, as long as folk seem to like what I'm doing. It's funny when I'm spinning. They come in and stare at the wheel like they're hypnotised, then sort of come to and start asking questions!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Murphy don't love me!
I've been cross-pollinating my orange petal plants for months, finally I get one that mutates to give black seeds.
So what do I get off it? A seed of renewal. Of all the plants I'm growing, that's the only one I didn't want one of those from!

Reactions: Tia

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nature is sooo unreliable ... hello y'all! Darn, too much telly-watching, it corrupts my accent ....

Aragorn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
yall come back now ya hear?...ive been in UO for too long
Nature is sooo unreliable ... hello y'all! Darn, too much telly-watching, it corrupts my accent ....
haha what u mean yall don't want to talk like a southerner?
Seriously tho I know what you mean john ive actually caught myself using Brit type lingo and im like "wait did I just say that?" o_O

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings all. Seems we had an earthquake here at lunchtime, and I didn't even notice.
That is unreliable.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings all. Seems we had an earthquake here at lunchtime, and I didn't even notice.
That is unreliable.
It's always one-upmanship and attention-seeking with you isn't it !

Peely says hello
Camby says hello
Nilrem says hello
Barney miraculously escapes death
Ginger Valentine and Tia both pop-in to say Hi !
Cail shows us pictures of bizarre knitting contraptions
... I think I might have even seen a Nixon post

But you ! YOU !!!

What do you have to say for yourself?

"... Oooh, ooh, ooh! Everybody look at me! I live in a really fragile country that appears to be falling to pieces, but I am so cool and groovy that I didn't even notice."

Hush, woman!

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a spinning wheel. Knitting contraption indeed. How long have you been playing this game? Silly Fluffi!

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's always one-upmanship and attention-seeking with you isn't it !

Peely says hello
Camby says hello
Nilrem says hello
Barney miraculously escapes death
Ginger Valentine and Tia both pop-in to say Hi !
Cail shows us pictures of bizarre knitting contraptions
... I think I might have even seen a Nixon post

But you ! YOU !!!

What do you have to say for yourself?

"... Oooh, ooh, ooh! Everybody look at me! I live in a really fragile country that appears to be falling to pieces, but I am so cool and groovy that I didn't even notice."

Hush, woman!
Dear Fluff
It was a very small earthquake, of the kind that might be expected in the West Country.
In the meantime I am much closer to the San Andreas fault, where there is even less activity.
Now take your medicine and practice deep breathing, my dear.
XXX

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear Fluff
It was a very small earthquake, of the kind that might be expected in the West Country.
In the meantime I am much closer to the San Andreas fault, where there is even less activity.
Now take your medicine and practice deep breathing, my dear.
XXX

25 days since the last babble post.

Shall we try and keep it alive, even though nobody else seems willing?

*talks randomly at Saunders*

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get too busy to babble these days, and yet don't have much to babble about.

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Babble's about all I'm good for these days. And making boxes out of old books.
*waves tentacles at all and Fluff*

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had a bigger earthquake than Saunders :) we had a 7.2 here in Mexico last week. Quite fun really, the walls wobbled and stuff. Fortunately I wasn't driving at the time; I'd been in the car 20 minutes earlier and I have no idea what to do in a car if the earth starts moving... pray perhaps?

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Experiencing an earthquake is quite scary indeed. I was in Athens once, living in the old town. I did not feel safe at all, when mother earth suddenly started to move. Felt like there were no place to hide. People moved out into the parks - away from buildings.

Know the above post is old, but this is babble thread right? So , I am babbling.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NOTE TO ALL THE BRITS....

I fought in a war to defend your right to babble.

I got shot at, mortared, bombed, and I lived in a hole I dug myself for over a week..

Get your bloody fingers out, and babble.

... otherwise I will have to hunt you down. (It's been 30 years since I did nasty things with a bayonet; but, you know... muscle-memory and all that stuff... And I am still a bloody-good shot)

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even though i stopped playing over 5 years ago, I still have the fondest memories of UO and try to keep in touch now and again.

13 years ago, I met a player called Stormcrow - he had a mercenary guild based just east of Yew and I was invited to become a part of it. UO was my first MMO - as it was for many - and roleplaying was new to me. I was a trainer at the time, and on the particular day I created my first character had spent the day teaching Food Hygiene. I sat on the character screen wondering what on Earth to call myself - all I knew was I was going to create a coloured woman, and going to roleplay an upper class lady who had lost her inheritance and who acted beyond the means she actually possessed. A bacteria I had talked about stuck in my head - Campylobacter Jejuni. I liked the word, and opted to call my character Cambylobacter as I didnt want to be referred to as Camp or Campy.

Back to Yew, and The Iron Glove Mercenaries. We had some wonderful months: I remember operating with The Knights Templar, defending Vesper from Zen's Judges, fighting a certain Aston Villa supporter in Felluca, dealing with cheeky serf's in Trinsic and dark characters in the Darkcloaks. Wonderful days. In 2002 Camby married a wonderful player called Belkon Dra which I found perfectly reasonable regardless of the fact I'm a socially adjusted, heterosexual male! In 2003 Stormcrow had to leave and I had the responsibility to run the guild put upon me - something I was not prepared for or competent enough to do given the time I had. I tried for several months to keep my guild running, but a social life and work commitments made that difficult. Some of my guild members had higher ambitions. I remember with fondness one of my dearest guildmembers, Paladis. Who was I to know he was a dirty Kaldorian!

With The Iron Gloves running on autopilot as real life overwhelmed me, guildies such as Paladis and Garion worked to move on to their next ambition, setting up The Kaldorians. They were a great addition to the roleplaying community, and whilst at the time I was somewhat put out that they put their efforts elsewhere rather than help run IGC, I quickly realised it was the best thing. Camby went into hiding for some time before returning to her birthplace of Cove and joining the Covians in a half-hearted attempt to grow old gracefully.

Cove brings specific memories to me - of Terry and Petra Fyde's shop where I bought my first Silver Katana of something or other. Of the graveyard where I started developing my character. Of my first small house i had in the game. Of a wonderful little virtual life in a sleepy village after a hard day's reality.

And then, when I awakened to the fact I was spending more time playing UO than working; when I realised I was missing real life social events to claim a BOD or go dragon hunting in Destard, I realised it was time for me to move on.

I'm not ashamed to recall how I left - I took Camby to the location where her and Belkon Dra had got married 4 or 5 years earlier, logged out, uninstalled the game and cried profusely. It felt like I was losing best friends.

The power and impact of UO to me is not lost to this day. I remember meeting Laton and many others at the UO drinkathon in London. More I met the year later such as Petra, when I arranged the next real life meet up in Nottingham - we were all dying to meet Petra back then who was a legend in the making already and picked Nottingham specifically so she could come. She always got more attention than Terry, I'm not sure why :D

There are too many names for me to mention that I have met and moved on from in Ultima Online. I'm sure we're all the same that the diversity and depth of the people we met in our virtual lives has touched us all. All I can say is, that I don't want to reinstall UO. I don't want to wake Lady Cambylobacter Seraph from her long sleep; she deserves it. I want to remember fondly the wonderful times and people I knew. The real secret is that Ultima Online isn't an MMO; it isn't somewhere to take a character from level 1, to level 2, to level 3; it isn't somewhere to play the auction house or do some PvP: It's our second life. I can recall the waters north of Cove. I remember the swamps that consumed Yew. I remember standing side by side with strangers in The Gauntlet, saving each others lives and never meeting again. I remember my first visit to Felluca and the chill as I saw the trees with no leaves, the sound effect as I gated in and the sight of a name in red. I remember entering Shame and the first time I dared to go down to the second level. I remember everyone I ever met and I thank you all for those memories whether you read this or not.

For the majority here who I don't know and don't know me, I have no doubt my feelings mirror yours. Ultima Online is our second life. Don't ever neglect your first one, and don't ever forget our virtual one. I haven't.

Bless you all,

Camby.
I missed this beautiful background story the last two times I've popped in, but I'm glad I took the time to read it today. Thanks for sharing that Camby, you call upon lots of feelings which are very close to my heart and more than likely everyone elses on these forums. Dear Lord though, how you ever recovered after such a poignant method of leaving UO is beyond me. I could never do it quite like that, I think I'd just throw the computer out the window and go and live in a cave.

Heyho.

I hope you're well though, and the same goes for all the faces that have popped in since the start of the thread. I missed who has been here the last two times I've visited, but nevertheless I still love all of you.

ALL OF YOU. /beady eye

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PS: S'crazy logging into these forums (which are looking better than ever) and seeing options to log in with Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Steam. None of these existed when I first started posting here.

S'good, don't get me wrong. It's just a little jarring to realise how much time has passed; like seeing a cyborg riding a penny farthing.

Madness.

Last edited:

Thimblepixie

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PS: S'crazy logging into these forums (which are looking better than ever) and seeing options to log in with Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Steam. None of these existed when I first started posting here.

S'good, don't get me wrong. It's just a little jarring to realise how much time has past; like seeing a cyborg riding a penny farthing.

Madness.
Means you're getting old Kas ;). Give it a while and you'll be as old now, as we were then.. if you see what I mean :confused:

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh, fair point Thimble, I shall count my blessings I suppose.

Still, s'always marvellous to see so many of us still around. In the vast ether which is the internet it's always comforting to know this little corner remains more or less the same.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love Cambys storyu too. Awesome. And I remember him/her from the RP times as well. And yes UO had a magic input into our lives but I think most of us moved on and back into real life once we realised this. Many UO players were kind of "damaged" and ran into UO to escape RL issues. And for some of them UO saved their lives. It certainly helped me. And I miss those days. But I still have the memories. I will never return properly to UO, it isn't the same game any more and there really are too few players on Europa. But the memories are cherished. Uo for ever.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My yearly visit... :)

Can't believe UO is almost 15 years old and still going. Impressive.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fifteen? It is seventeen sir and in some states of America that makes her legal. I wonder if I could marry her, sure we may produce hideous avatars but I would always have an excuse not to do the dishes being the server is down.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fifteen? It is seventeen sir and in some of these fair states of America, that sir makes her legal. I wonder if I could marry her, I have courted her for seventeen years and god willing she loves me as much as I lover her.

Now sir,down here in these parts we do things the gentlemanly way, * slaps certifiable in the face with a glove *

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
*Watches intently to see if certifiable will accept the challenge*