• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The 20th Veterans' Rewards are just Titles ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't matter what any of us think about the anniversary gifts or the veteran rewards, the bottom line here is they don't actually have to give us anything! So anything we do get, no matter how useless or ugly, is a bonus, take it or leave it...
I took 6 months to choose my last vet reward, not because everything was terrible, but just because even at 8 years there wasn't much I really needed or could use. Coming up with new items that try to please everyone must be a pretty thankless task to be honest.
I never said that they "have to give" Veteran Rewards, I said that, to my opinion, Veteran players who kept their accounts as ALWAYS active for an extraordinary 20 Years, month after month, Year after Year, NO MATTER WHAT, even during those times when they were not logging on in Ultima Online, whatever their reasons, and, thus, supported exceptionally Ultima Online, to my viewing would "deserve" to receive a special, extraordinary recongnition of their exceptional support to Ultima Online. It is different.
That is the way I see it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly what are you asking for here?
For an exceptional and extraordinary Milestone like 20 Years of an account kept ALWAYS as active, no matter what ?
Something that was more usefull as just a Title or some eye candy decoration or yet another mount....
Just browsing the Forums there is plenty ideas, from extra House storage room for these Veterans, to a "search" special tool to find whatever looked for in one's own inventory (secures, lockdowns or characters' bank boxes...) etc. etc. etc.
The limit would only be creativity. There can be plenty of usefull items that could be possibly created as a special, rewarding 20th Veteran Reward....

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well one thing is for sure, they are not going to give away anything that they could sell in the store and make money on! ;)

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
You want a 20 year old present.... OK easy peacy......... Make it account bound, you get the feeling of getting something really special for you and that no one else can have, as it cannot be transfered to another player or account.
Easy way to solve the problem!!!

Now dont ask for something useful, maybe something that has a use but not a game breaker, for example maybe a special coloured mount, say Europa Gold mount that only can be used but that account.

BUT I would also add one more feature as everyone saying they supported the game for 20 years, if you stop logging in for more than 10 days the special gift dissapears, see if you help to support the game another 20 years!!!

Sorry but the argument of saying , well ive paid 20 years although I havnt played all that time, for me is useless and infantile, its your own CC and your own life, no one forced you to support that long or to pay a game while you were not playing, so I dont seee why we should give awards for someone having a healthy bank account., Maybe there is many other there that could been in the same boat close or over the 20 years but they needed the cash sometime in their life and stopped the sub.
So the bottom question is, Are we rewarding loyalty, stupidity or people that have money???

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm getting the feeling that the only reason you did pay every month was so you didn't lose out on any 'goodies', but that was your choice, don't you think it would have been a better deal if you had actually played some?
Every time there is an anniversary or any other seasonal item that may or may not be given away, you pop up with exactly the same thread.... :rolleyes:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
For an exceptional and extraordinary Milestone like 20 Years of an account kept ALWAYS as active, no matter what ?
Something that was more usefull as just a Title or some eye candy decoration or yet another mount....
Just browsing the Forums there is plenty ideas, from extra House storage room for these Veterans, to a "search" special tool to find whatever looked for in one's own inventory (secures, lockdowns or characters' bank boxes...) etc. etc. etc.
The limit would only be creativity. There can be plenty of usefull items that could be possibly created as a special, rewarding 20th Veteran Reward....
Something useful? I certainly hope not.

Making vet rewards anything OTHER than vanity/deco was a mistake. They can and sometimes do increase imbalance between newer and veteran accounts, and the devs have to keep one-upping themselves or face accusations of not sufficiently appreciating players on older accounts. To use your example, you want the devs to spend the time and resources building a search tool for a character's full inventory, then limit it ONLY to 20-year accounts? That would be akin to having made the currency conversion or vendor search available only to some. It would be bad business, bad leadership, and a slap in the face to literally everyone else.

Let's also not forget that a great many vet accounts are not in the hands of the original owner. That there is a market for older accounts, that they are literally worth more money than younger accounts because of superior options and access, is a huge mark AGAINST UO. Do you want people to come back and think this is a great game for them, as new and returning players, and actually stick around and keep the game alive, or do you want to be handed the keys to a dead kingdom on a silver platter?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Let's also not forget that a great many vet accounts are not in the hands of the original owner. That there is a market for older accounts, that they are literally worth more money than younger accounts because of superior options and access, is a huge mark AGAINST UO. Do you want people to come back and think this is a great game for them, as new and returning players, and actually stick around and keep the game alive, or do you want to be handed the keys to a dead kingdom on a silver platter?
You talk so much sense there it's frightening, very well said! Making 'useful' vet rewards, such as shard shields, was a very bad idea in my opinion. :(

Tranquility

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Players advocating for 2o year only 'Exclusive Useful' items do so simply so they can turn around, and jack up the price of UO accounts they have for sale for RL $$.

Players doing so are nothing more than lobbyists for their own pocketbook, doesn't matter who gets affected along the way.

The fact that is hurts the game, creates a sense of division and imbalance means nothing, as long as they stand to makes a profit, or get a return on their 'investment'.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Players advocating for 2o year only 'Exclusive Useful' items do so simply so they can turn around, and jack up the price of UO accounts they have for sale for RL $$.

Players doing so are nothing more than lobbyists for their own pocketbook, doesn't matter who gets affected along the way.

The fact that is hurts the game, creates a sense of division and imbalance means nothing, as long as they stand to makes a profit, or get a return on their 'investment'.
Easy way for that not to happen and they not jack up prices is to give something like I said a special coloured horse, nothing fancy, just special colour and account bound.
Doubt anyone gonna be dropping lots of extra cash for a special coloured horse.... and its kills these lobbyists!

Tranquility

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Not a fan of account bound.

Notice the 1 veteran reward that never should have been introduced is account bound?

Given the current system Account Bound even further restricts equal access. At least with some Veteran rewards they can be sold, and purchased by younger accounts...this to me is a good thing.

If you take away the LONG wait time in order to claim Veteran Rewards, that alone will nullify any attempts by those players looking to make a profit by selling account for RL$.

My account is 10 years old. I really don't want to wait until 2022, or even 2027 (as some suggest by making a 20th year VeteranReward) in order to claim some veteran rewards. I think it's absolutely ludicrous.

Should be a tiered system of some kind imo. Something along these lines:
0 year accounts can claim Veteran rewards years 0-5
1 year accounts can claim Veteran Rewards years 5-10
2 year accounts 10+

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

While I think this is definitely a factor for some of the requests and arguments we hear regarding this and other topics, it's not fair or accurate to paint all vets with such broad strokes.

The introduction of powerful vet rewards set up an expectation that increasingly can't and shouldn't be met for the sake of balance and health of the game. That's not the fault of legitimate players.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

How the hell do you sell an account, when its linked to amaster account with all your other accounts?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Exactly what are you asking for here?
A jewelry box that holds rings and bracelets with no space being used. That you can search thru. Make it a 3 yr reward.

For 20 a pleasant surprise.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How the hell do you sell an account, when its linked to amaster account with all your other accounts?
All it takes is a few emails to unlink an account from the master account. Even Mesanna herself has been known to help unlink accounts for people.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All it takes is a few emails to unlink an account from the master account. Even Mesanna herself has been known to help unlink accounts for people.
Ahhh, okay. Didnt know they had figured it out, years ago when I wanted to drop one to link another I was told to forget it, it might mess up the whole master account...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well of course they said that, they didn't want people getting more than their share of 500 sovereign gifts... :p

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something useful? I certainly hope not.

Making vet rewards anything OTHER than vanity/deco was a mistake. They can and sometimes do increase imbalance between newer and veteran accounts, and the devs have to keep one-upping themselves or face accusations of not sufficiently appreciating players on older accounts. To use your example, you want the devs to spend the time and resources building a search tool for a character's full inventory, then limit it ONLY to 20-year accounts? That would be akin to having made the currency conversion or vendor search available only to some. It would be bad business, bad leadership, and a slap in the face to literally everyone else.

First, Veteran Rewards CAN BE made claimable by a certain Year active age account but "usable" by all active ages account (and infact, this is the case for many Rewards).
Second, Veteran Rewards are NOT only issued for "top" Year active account age but ALSO for lower Years.
Infact, there is PLENTY 1st Year Veteran Rewards and from then onwards with a bunch of them claimable by very low Years active account ages...
So, I am sorry, but to my opinion that argument that having an usefull 20th Year Veteran Reward would be "against" UO holds no ground since the Developers ALSO issue Veteran Rewards for lower Years active age accounts.
The "top" Year Vet Reward only becomes a target to reach (provided that they keep their account as actve for the requested time frame), for those willing to, but also those not reaching that top Age can STILL benefit from all of the Rewrds pertaining for less active age accounts.
That's the way I see it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You talk so much sense there it's frightening, very well said! Making 'useful' vet rewards, such as shard shields, was a very bad idea in my opinion. :(
Aside from the fact that, to my understandoing, it is quite common practise for businesses to reward their customers' loyalty to their brand/service, the base principle and logic, that I can understand, at the basis of prizing particularly the "top" loyal customers is to provide reasons to all other customers to also want to stay loyal to their brand/service for as long a time.
Unless there is a prize sufficiently "juicy" for customers to want to get, loyalty Policies fail, because then their customers see hardly any real benefit in wanting to stay loyal with them and go with competitor business thus making the entire loyalty program pretty much a waste and useless, me thinks.
It is necessary, to my viewing, to have "good" top prizes/Rewards if the Loyalty Program is wanted to have any significant appeal for customers.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I smell greed.

Veteran rewards should be revamped so it's fair for everyone.

Each person who may come new or someone who had to close accounts because he is maybe not that gifted in real life to have spare money is treated unfair by those rewards.

A fair solution would be something like.

Each year fully paid you get 3 picks where you can choose whatever you want from all existing rewards.

Why are people thinking that they deserve something special only because they paid monthly fee for a service (take any given service) they use? Do you get also a gift from your bank when you paid your loans for your house 10 years without interruption?

Wakeup. Each person who form back or start new gets discouraged asap when they see that they would have to wait 14 years for shields....

And don't start with. "We had to play 14 years too". That's even if it's not wrong total BS. Those 14 years were gone without even having the shields. As they were not introduced from beginning.

They need to make realistic time frames like mentioned above.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I smell greed.

Each person who may come new or someone who had to close accounts because he is maybe not that gifted in real life to have spare money is treated unfair by those rewards.

Each year fully paid you get 3 picks where you can choose whatever you want from all existing rewards.

Why are people thinking that they deserve something special only because they paid monthly fee for a service (take any given service) they use? Do you get also a gift from your bank when you paid your loans for your house 10 years without interruption?

Wakeup. Each person who form back or start new gets discouraged asap when they see that they would have to wait 14 years for shields....

And don't start with. "We had to play 14 years too". That's even if it's not wrong total BS. Those 14 years were gone without even having the shields. As they were not introduced from beginning.

Love the idea of picking 3 choices of any rewards, but we all know what would happen, everyone would just pick the shields on the 1st try and then EA/Broadsword wont make money from Transfer tokens, that is why its only for the 14yr+ Players.
My eldest account is probably 5/6 years, I know for a fact I wont be here in UO for when it could reach 15years unless I just left the game being paid automatically, My family, my kids, my life comes way before the game and I have more priorities than playing a game.... Maybe when i retire, 40 years plus account!

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Love the idea of picking 3 choices of any rewards, but we all know what would happen, everyone would just pick the shields on the 1st try and then EA/Broadsword wont make money from Transfer tokens, that is why its only for the 14yr+ Players.
My eldest account is probably 5/6 years, I know for a fact I wont be here in UO for when it could reach 15years unless I just left the game being paid automatically, My family, my kids, my life comes way before the game and I have more priorities than playing a game.... Maybe when i retire, 40 years plus account!

I know....

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I know some people who buy the transfer tokens, and they have the shields
transfer tokens would still be bought

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I know some people who buy the transfer tokens, and they have the shields
transfer tokens would still be bought
Yeah ofcourse they would be bought, not saying they all going to stop buying them but the number of sales would drop dramatically if we were all to have shields, unless you are shard hopping weekly moving stuff or moving EM events.
With one movement a month from your favourite shard to Atl to sell in enough.

Now true no new player is going to wait 14/15years for a shield, here is where Clops and others made cash on the selling and buying of accounts, as they knew people who would want to play but are not going to wait many years for an item which can be bought from another person by getting an account.

So its a double edged blade here, by making the Transfer shields only available to certain age accounts, you open the black market to account sellers, By making the shields for any account age, EA/broadsword lose money on Transfer tokens.

So what is worse the cure or the disease?

Tranquility

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Shard Shields are an unbalancing item. A major game breaker as far as I'm concerned. Players since their introduction we're able to make massive profits, while others were forced to pay through the nose.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

They could offset the decline of sales of Transfer Shields in two ways:

1) Add more items to the damn store- example token for a veteran reward, or any # of creative items.

2) Lower the damn prices - If Transfer tokens were $10 instead of $20 I may end up buying 5 but at 20$ a pop I'm buying ZERO. So EA is out $50 because their gouging. Same with Soulstones at $10 each...I'm not paying 10 each per...at $5 each I'd buy 20. EA...your out $100 because you have your heads up your...

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I would have liked if they would have brought back old favorites, like
the valentine bears, roses (nameable of course)
what about the jewelry box, pond, & wine cellar
also wanting a book for deeds (inscription could make it)
book for cards (have a card collection, would love to be able to add and remove them at will)

I have to admit that I do love the dragon statue and confetti cannon (awesome for Deal Or No Deal)
I have been making a list and have 24 of the names so far (one has !!? in it, not sure if that's a bug or not)

Thanks Devs for your hard work

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Excuse me ?
I happen to think that paying money for a service that is NOT being used (i.e. maintaining an account as active even when that Veteran player is NOT logging on, whatever the reasons might be, like lack of time, personal reasons or whatever...) does is SUPPORTING that service.
Consequentially, at least to my opinion, I would only see it as fit to recognize this special support, sometimes for an extended period of time, by awarding to these exceptionally supportive Veteran players who maintained their accounts always as active, NO MATTER WHAT, for a whopping 20 Years, continuously, even when for extended period of times, they were not able to log in, whatever the reasons, a really special Veteran's Reward that was to be fitting for such an extremely long time in recognition of such extraordinary support.
To my understanding, it is quite a COMMON business practise, it's called rewarding customers' loyalty to the brand/service so as to motivate customers to stick with that particular brand/service and not go to the competition.
That is how I see it.
I disagree, I think you just kep paying money, (like I have) just not to loose that castle and all the little things that you seem to treasure so much. You kept paying not to support the game, but to not loose what you already had. Just like many, nothing wrong with that, but dont you go trying to make virtue out of nesecity!

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would have liked if they would have brought back old favorites, like
the valentine bears, roses (nameable of course)
what about the jewelry box, pond, & wine cellar
also wanting a book for deeds (inscription could make it)
book for cards (have a card collection, would love to be able to add and remove them at will)

I have to admit that I do love the dragon statue and confetti cannon (awesome for Deal Or No Deal)
I have been making a list and have 24 of the names so far (one has !!? in it, not sure if that's a bug or not)

Thanks Devs for your hard work
Awesome idea!!! A book for cards and a book for deeds! Now, there´s something I´d be really happy to have! :)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I smell greed.

"Wakeup. Each person who form back or start new gets discouraged asap when they see that they would have to wait 14 years for shields...."

Not at all, as I see it.
There is plenty Veteran Rewards from 1st Year onwards (unfortunately, and wrongly, IMHO, stopping at 15 Years, currently...).
The player who is 1st Year, NOT ONLY entertains the Vet Rewards for that Year but realistically, can be appealed to keep one's own account as active for another few years to be able to claim, those Vet Rewards within "reach" in a couple of Years or so... the same for an account who's like 5 or 6 Years, they enjoy all Vet Rewards 'till then and can be realistically appealed to look forward to like reaching year 8 or 9 as active so as to qualify for those rewards... and so onwards.
Too bad, that because the Vet Rewards current,y, and wrongly, to my viewing, stop at 15 Years, there is NOTHING to truly appeal anyone with a 15 Years Veteran Account to want to reach 16, 17, 18, 19 or 20 years if they were not to be able to log on, whatever the reasons.
What for keeping the account as active when there is no Veteran Reward pertaining to those Years ?
At that point, stopping paying would cause no disruption to the eligibility to claim top rewards since, as of now, and wrongly, IMHO, they stop at 15 years of Active Age.
Instead, "if" there were other Veteran Rewards claimable by 16 Years, others by 17 Years, others by 18 Years, others by 19 Years and now others by 20 Years, this might convince some players to keep their account as active not to lose their active account age as ticking.
To me, on a business point of view it would make all sense to have specific and unique Veteran Rewards for all Years past 15, an such as, for 16 Years, more for 17 Years, more for 18 Years, more for 19 Years and more now for 10 Years of active account age.
That's how I see it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree, I think you just kep paying money, (like I have) just not to loose that castle and all the little things that you seem to treasure so much. You kept paying not to support the game, but to not loose what you already had. Just like many, nothing wrong with that, but dont you go trying to make virtue out of nesecity!
Most inventory, at least for the average player, is worthless items.
The really valuable items, fewer every day that goes on, could well be stored in the 7 characters' Bank boxes.
The House ?
Nowdays it is easy to even place a House on one's own, even a Castle, or buy one reasonably cheap.
So no, I do not think that the storage argument can be a valid motif to keep paying an account.
I think that there is many who actually keep paying their account even when not being able to log to support Ultima Online and, is my opinion, they should be rightfully rewarded for this loyalty.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
"Wakeup. Each person who form back or start new gets discouraged asap when they see that they would have to wait 14 years for shields...."

Not at all, as I see it.
There is plenty Veteran Rewards from 1st Year onwards (unfortunately, and wrongly, IMHO, stopping at 15 Years, currently...).
The player who is 1st Year, NOT ONLY entertains the Vet Rewards for that Year but realistically, can be appealed to keep one's own account as active for another few years to be able to claim, those Vet Rewards within "reach" in a couple of Years or so... the same for an account who's like 5 or 6 Years, they enjoy all Vet Rewards 'till then and can be realistically appealed to look forward to like reaching year 8 or 9 as active so as to qualify for those rewards... and so onwards.
Too bad, that because the Vet Rewards current,y, and wrongly, to my viewing, stop at 15 Years, there is NOTHING to truly appeal anyone with a 15 Years Veteran Account to want to reach 16, 17, 18, 19 or 20 years if they were not to be able to log on, whatever the reasons.
What for keeping the account as active when there is no Veteran Reward pertaining to those Years ?
At that point, stopping paying would cause no disruption to the eligibility to claim top rewards since, as of now, and wrongly, IMHO, they stop at 15 years of Active Age.
Instead, "if" there were other Veteran Rewards claimable by 16 Years, others by 17 Years, others by 18 Years, others by 19 Years and now others by 20 Years, this might convince some players to keep their account as active not to lose their active account age as ticking.
To me, on a business point of view it would make all sense to have specific and unique Veteran Rewards for all Years past 15, an such as, for 16 Years, more for 17 Years, more for 18 Years, more for 19 Years and more now for 10 Years of active account age.
That's how I see it.
You are so Messed Up that ITS already funny again

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Watching this point of the 20th Anniversary Gift Token

Sands of Sosaria, updated with Earth Years 2013-2016

it would be nice not using the RNG-Principle like every time you have a choose! I for myself as a collector to this little nice things would prefer more to have the choise to complete my collection with the missing sands of sosaria .

@Kyronix Would be nice to have a small gump you could choise the missing year you want to have ;) Plz think about - thx :)