• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamers got Greater Dragons and the Dread Mares.....

• Thread starter Hunters Moon
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

Lord GOD(GOD)

So in short, your complaint has nothing to do with tamers and everything to do with the fact that EA hasn't recently added any overpowered pixelated crack equipment lately?
I haven't made a complaint, I made an observation - that the OP's topic barely covered it.

You tame back skills not stats. Tamed greaters do not have the same stats as wild greaters even if they are fully trained.
Yes I know, but if you bothered to read what I was replying to you would see that he said this:
"That would make them weaker than the "wild ones" running around in the game, yes?" That is what I was saying no to.
Fully trained tamed pets are not weaker than their wilder counterparts, if that was the case then people wouldn't kill wild greater dragons with their tamed ones. (or any of the other pets)

10 pets in 10 years. Yeah it seems like only pets get added. I mean, lets take away all the warrior skills (bushido, chivarly) because those aren't pets. Lets take away necromancy because it wasn't a pet. Lets take away all of the ML, Ilshenar, 10th Anniversary, and Doom artifacts because they were not pets. Lets take away the community rewards because they were not pets. Half the freaking templates and half the freaking gear out there is overpowered, and they have added 10 pets in 10 years while adding 100 items in a single publish at times. So, yeah I can see how the majority of content is pets.
I'm talking about CONTENT added for classes. Bushido, Chivalry & Necromancy ARE classes. Most of the ML, Ilshenar, 10th Anniversary and Doom artifacts are still just weapons and armor (which if you would have bothered to read the origional post you would know I already said this).

Stop making stuff up. UO doesn't have classes, and they have added 1000s of new things since UO began and only 10 of them were pets.
UO does have classes and the class specific content still favours the tamers.

Y

Yalp

Fact. Upon taming, pets loose at least 10% of their skill points.
Fact. Tamed pets are weaker than their wild counterparts.
Fact. Tamed pets loose 0.1 point in EVERY skill everytime they die.
Fact. The game is NOT overrun with tamer + GD combo's (peerless & pvp included).

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what skill,armor piece,or weapon did the other templates get to compensate for this?
Wow. Maybe we should ask EA for teats so the players who can't kill tamers have something to calm themselves to sleep.

Dexxers got weapon specials, Mages got AOS. And so it seems from this thread, poor PvPers remained unskilled.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeh... the idea that tamers are somehow the best PvM chars is an utter joke, a good dexer is 100000000000000000x better (K, maybe not that much better, but a fair bit :p) than any tamer/pet combo for most (note I said MOST, there are some instances where tamers are better) PvM applications.
Ah, you forgot the AFK bonus Vampiric Embrace dexxers achieve ;)

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fact. The game is NOT overrun with tamer + GD combo's (peerless & pvp included).
Fact. On my shard the reason PvP is not overrun by tamers with GD's is that my guild would unstable all our GD's. No tamers want that to happen, so there are only a couple of people who you see regularly roaming around with their GD's.

Also as I've mentioned in an earlier post, we almost never ever play our tamers.

E

Eslake

*tags to last*

If the Greater Dragon was to be morphed into a weapon here would be the mods imo.

"Dragons Talon"​
Crafted by Lord Overpowered​
Exceptional​
Blessed​
Hit Flamestrike 100%​
Hit Greater Poison 100%​
Hit Energy Bolt 100%​
Hit Fireball 100%​
Damage Increase 200%​
Weapon Damage 46-54​
Weapon Speed 2.25​
Physical Damage 75%​
Fire Damage 25%​
Actually, more like..
"A Greater Dagger'on"​
Crafted by Slave Labor​
Exceptional​
Insured​
Hit Flamestrike 5%​
Hit Poison 20%​
Hit Energy Bolt 15%​
Hit Magic Arrow 30%​
Damage Increase 60%​
Weapon Damage 22-46​
Weapon Speed 4s​
Physical Damage 75%​
Fire Damage 25%​
Primary : Fire Breath for 20-80​
Secondary : Honk loudly but don't actually do anything​

More like insured since they can die, and lose stats when they do.
They don't cast nearly so often as you suggest. They usually lead with a paralyze weakness or feablemind, and follow with 1 flamestrike (or Ebolt if at range). After that they mostly just hit you with magic arrows and try to bite you.

As to the bite itself, I have an Unscrolled paladin/lumberaxer who hits harder than they do, and he isn't fully trained yet. And after the first 2 bites, their swing rate falls to like 4s+ with an occasional burst of speed up to about 2.25s for 3 bites.

The way I see it, if an unscrolled melee character can solo a wild one, there is absolutely no validity in claiming they are too powerful for PvP - where everyone is scrolled and the tamed dragons are significantly weaker than the wild.

C

Crow

Eeek....as a dedicated tamer should, I'm not sure if i should be proud there is so much attention, or laugh that people actually spend this much time arguing about it...

*speaking to what i hope is majority*

I skim through most of these types of threads cause for last months/years I end up spacing off...nothing new has been said.

What in my experience matters is pets help tank peerless bosses or champ bosses.

Yes, there is every other template who can solo or run every peerless/champ on their own with out pets...good for you...you should be proud...

*hands a metal*

What gives me small pleasure in this silly game is helping newer people to the game, and without going on for a half hour...pets help...and a well trained pet, with good stats helps much more. And those do not just appear out of no where, and with no small use of time to get or to train.

And you know what? I've heard every argument about 'extra' programs, and their place in pvp...that may or may not work along side a game we may or may not be talking about. My simple opinion, is dropping some F^%K#R on foot, whom I know could out run, out cast, and everything else, on my non tamer character... watching my pets eat him is just wonderful.

*to every one else*

Say what you will...tamers have their place, those who use them, those who fight along side them, know...those who complain....I wonder what game you are playing.

What I think, and I'm sure you'll say I'm wrong..but whatever...is people who hate tamers the most, are people who die over and over again to them at Yew gate, or who cant get it done on the spawn feilds...well, sorry...you suck.

Tamers are easy to kill. Sorry if it requires something different then what you have been doing for the last (insert +) years...learn...grow...or realize that the more you die to some gimp over and over the more pleasure you give him...

Anyway...continue...

U

UltimaSword

That was a smart move on her part. The Devs could learn alot from that lesson.
haha yeah ok cause in the real world everything works fine and dandy like that... "he got the job so I should get it to even if I don't deserve it"

Anyway why do you care? Dragons needed a boost anyway I mean come on, freaking beetles owned them lol.

H

Hunters Moon

That was a smart move on her part. The Devs could learn alot from that lesson.

haha yeah ok cause in the real world everything works fine and dandy like that... "he got the job so I should get it to even if I don't deserve it".
Ever hear of the term "Affirmitive Action"?

Anyway why do you care? Dragons needed a boost anyway I mean come on, freaking beetles owned them lol.
There is a difference in getting a boost and making that damned dragon too powerful. Which beetle are you talking about? Rune,fire or blue?

U

UltimaSword

Ever hear of the term "Affirmitive Action"?
Exactly. Some African American gets the job over me... I ain't expected to get a job because he did. I just gotta wait for my chance or work harder even if they didn't have to work hard. And "ooh but maybe people cannot wait" but that is life it isn't fair, it's a pancake, how you deal with its lemons determines how you will enjoy your life. Make lemonade or sit there and make faces if you bite the lemon.

Anyway I'll be honest I haven't even played UO in about a year LOL. Computer failed on me and I finally got money for a new one.... BUT you may be right on greater dragons being too powerful. I never tested it. But it doesn't mean every template gets something because one does.

As for tamers being too good and all that stuff. Well I think it is annoying that archers get to stand far from the monster... and so do mages..... why can spellweavers cast WoD and destroy redlined bosses... how come the bard gets to stop the monsters from attacking and then make them all attack each other and have the ability to easily solo a Dark Father... Every template has its good and bads... barring jewelry taming is very difficult to raise. In mob situations I'd much rather have my warrior than my tamer.

H

Hunters Moon

As for tamers being too good and all that stuff. Well I think it is annoying that archers get to stand far from the monster... and so do mages..... why can spellweavers cast WoD and destroy redlined bosses... how come the bard gets to stop the monsters from attacking and then make them all attack each other and have the ability to easily solo a Dark Father... Every template has its good and bads... barring jewelry taming is very difficult to raise. In mob situations I'd much rather have my warrior than my tamer.
Tamers can stand far off from the target as well. Also it doesn't cost the tamer anything to spam "all kill" commands. No mana cost. No cost in arrows. On Int requirement. Just "all kill" *target enemy* and maybe *vet pet* every so often.

U

UltimaSword

Tamers can stand far off from the target as well. Also it doesn't cost the tamer anything to spam "all kill" commands. No mana cost. No cost in arrows. On Int requirement. Just "all kill" *target enemy* and maybe *vet pet* every so often.
Who is that tamer fighting that he only needs to vet once in a while??? Unless you are talking about a group of people fighting a boss or something. Solo wise tamers are fine. Especially if the enemy has necro... A nice whither while vetting owns as the monster targets the tamer. it would be nice to see them add some stat requirements for taming. Intelligence for taming smart creatures, dex for vetting, strength for commanding.

S

Scratch

I'm not sure what brought on all the tamer bashing lately...but
last I knew and I have 3 Tamers is that we still can't stand in
Luna and GM our skill bashing on a golem all day.
I love my GD but there are places I wouldn't dream of taking
him.
Like warriors and mages I use different pets for different situations.
They are not the GOD pet that some people think they are. And as
far as pvp goes, get a reptile slayer weapon. Plus, dragons are
extremely slow.
Getting to legendary took me a lot of years....it is still the one of thefew
skills that requires work, not standing in the middle of a town
unattended.rolleyes:

super dragons have no need to be fast when they can bite you , bleed you, and fireball you for 58 points in an all 70's suit before you can get off screen.
not to mention you still get hit with a spell or two after you leave the screen.

no other template can hit you for 58 points in one shot short of an archer with a conc blow and a hit spell on it.

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I were the Lead Develoiper, I would take the Generalized Template of those whining to NERF ANOTHER TEMPLATE and I would have that Template nerfed to the ground level for 6 months. If it were a warrior for example, ALL WEAPONS would hit for 1 point damage every 10 minutes and weigh 550 stones.
Good thing you aren't a UO developer then, because for every whining baby who posts here crying about how their template isn't powerful enough there are a LOT of people with similar templates who don't whine and cry. Your 'solution' would punish far more innocent people than the ones you are whining about.

H

Hunters Moon

Who is that tamer fighting that he only needs to vet once in a while??? Unless you are talking about a group of people fighting a boss or something. Solo wise tamers are fine. Especially if the enemy has necro... A nice whither while vetting owns as the monster targets the tamer. it would be nice to see them add some stat requirements for taming. Intelligence for taming smart creatures, dex for vetting, strength for commanding.
Have you seen what a dragon(even a normal one)can do in the Fandancer dojo? How about what they can do in all the Legacy Dungeons as well as Doom?

E

Eslake

Have you seen what a dragon(even a normal one)can do in the Fandancer dojo? How about what they can do in all the Legacy Dungeons as well as Doom?
And Greater Dragons are - Post-ML content.
Have you seen what a Bushido Paladin can do in Fan Dancer Dojo?
And that is - SE content.

Each expansion adds bigger tougher things. Tamables take that into consideration (some do at least).

Legacy content is just that, legacy.
-Once upon a time it took a group to kill a balron.
-Now the entire contents of Hythloth would be a close match for the easiest ML peerless, Dreadhorn, and Warrior templates can solo him! (sampire)

So obviously pets get bigger as the expansions go on. Otherwise there would be no reason to add combat pets at all.

Also someone asked, if the Beetles are for blacksmiths instead of tamers, why doesn't it take X skill in smithing to tame them instead of Taming.

Easy answer - For the same reason it doesn't take 100 blacksmithing to wear a Platemail Do or runic crafted weapon.
The game is supposed to be about playing together, otherwise there wouldn't be a 700/720 skill cap. Fire beetles are useless for anyone but a miner, Giant beetles are crafter/resource gatherer pets.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This discussion can be lead endlessly.

To my opinion, everything should stay as it is. A little understanding on both sides would help a lot:

Tamers think their pets are well-earned and take a lot of skill to control. Most tamers are passionate about their profession, as the skill is hard to learn, and good pets are difficult to get and to train. A tamer has to pay a high price (concerning affiliated skills) for reaching his goal. Pets should not be nerfed.

Non-Tamers think that tamers are overpowered (at least in PvM). Also, this opinion is understandable. Whenever you go to a dungeon where tamers hang out (just try the Melissa spawn of the current event), it is difficult or impossible for melee fighters to get looting rights on a monster when a Greater Dragon pet has been sicked on it. It also is faster than anybody else, als it teleports right across the screen to its victim. To my opinion, tamers should try to understand why melee fighters don't like the presence of Greater Dragons in PvM situations too much (unless they party up to kill Peerless).

That being said, I think that NO CHANGE to the current skills and pet power is required! Everything is good the way it is. Be tolerant, think positive. Everyone has the right to learn every skill and have fun to whatever extent the skill offers.

H

Hunters Moon

This discussion can be lead endlessly.
It's my answer to "threadzilla"

Tamers think their pets are well-earned and take a lot of skill to control.
Advanced character token and jewlery.
Most tamers are passionate about their profession, as the skill is hard to learn, and good pets are difficult to get and to train.
Whats so hard about targeting a bull in a farm for skill gains?
A tamer has to pay a high price (concerning affiliated skills) for reaching his goal.
360 points is 360 points no matter how you slice it.
Pets should not be nerfed.
You're right that they shouldn't be nerfed...they should be nuked instead.

Non-Tamers think that tamers are overpowered (at least in PvM). Also, this opinion is understandable. Whenever you go to a dungeon where tamers hang out (just try the Melissa spawn of the current event), it is difficult or impossible for melee fighters to get looting rights on a monster when a Greater Dragon pet has been sicked on it.
You are correct about this. I am not sure how long you have played but you remember a time when tamers could prance about with as many dragons as they wanted (no control slot limitations back then)? Fighting in some of the legacy dungeons just minding my own business and a gate opens with a tamer with 20+ dragons. Game over for any one hunting there. They might as well leave because the tamer was about to take over the spawn in the dungeon.

That being said, I think that NO CHANGE to the current skills and pet power is required! Everything is good the way it is. Be tolerant, think positive. Everyone has the right to learn every skill and have fun to whatever extent the skill offers.
Good the way it is?? You're main is a tamer isn't it?

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tamers in pvm isnt the issue .... tamers.....tram is >>>>>>>>
Now, see, maybe I am unique, but Tram is exactly where my tamer stays (excepting getting karma and honor, which I do in Fel, because, after all, if a PK comes along I have an equalizer that will make up for my lack of Eval, and lack of Magery skills. Of course, I don't always pack a greater, either. Cu's are great for Honor on Thrasher, far better than a Drag.

I did go to Yew Gate the other day on my tamer ... to rez a guildie ... and yes, I did put that drag on the asshat that kept RKing him, so that I could have a chance to rez him in peace.

But for goodness sake, why would you really want to PvP on foot with a slow dragon in tow? Especially one that is so easily guard whacked. And on the other side of that ... why on earth would you attack the tamer? Which is exactly what I wondered about the guy who attacked me in Destard while I was trying for 10th Anny stuff (that IS PvM btw!) ... did he really think All Kill was not on a macro??

J

Joyous2K

It's my answer to "threadzilla"

Advanced character token and jewlery.Whats so hard about targeting a bull in a farm for skill gains?
A tamer has to pay a high price (concerning affiliated skills) for reaching his goal.
360 oints is 360 points no matter how you slice it.You're right that they shouldn't be nerfed...they should be nuked instead.

You are correct about this. I am not sure how long you have played but you remember a time when tamers could prance about with as many dragons as they wanted (no control slot limitations back then)? Fighting in some of the legacy dungeons just minding my own business and a gate opens with a tamer with 20+ dragons. Game over for any one hunting there. They might as well leave because the tamer was about to take over the spawn in the dungeon.

GD is fine. Quit bumping post. You will probably get GD nerfed and that will stink for everyone but the few who are not tamers.

Best item in the game is the GD. Avoids a bunch of BS... BS in clickfest, BS in overpriced items, BS in learning curve, BS in over-complicated mess of stat*pi/radius if greater than 100 and stat*pi-1/radius if less than 100, BS in genuine discomfort playing game, BS of having to deal with zealot vets.

Best item in game is GD quit trying to get it nerfed. IF you don't like fighting dragons then don't fight dragons. Many avenues available for not fighting dragons. Few avenues available for avoiding BS.

Dreadmares are for dorks and you should be lobbying for an end to your misery by having bonded henchman based on your chiv skill. Crap Chiv = thief or nerd... good chiv = Paladin or Mage. They can spawn with various stats and maybe arty weapons or something to add some repetitive grinding to selecting the right guy.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Non-Tamers think that tamers are overpowered (at least in PvM). Also, this opinion is understandable. Whenever you go to a dungeon where tamers hang out (just try the Melissa spawn of the current event), it is difficult or impossible for melee fighters to get looting rights on a monster when a Greater Dragon pet has been sicked on it. It also is faster than anybody else, als it teleports right across the screen to its victim. To my opinion, tamers should try to understand why melee fighters don't like the presence of Greater Dragons in PvM situations too much (unless they party up to kill Peerless).
*snickers* That is some funny stuff! My husband's Necro/Bush/Dexer wipes out my dragon damage-wise on peerless everytime. Blows it out of the water.

And Melissa? lmao! I got looting rights on my Discorder (80'ish magery, no eval) chucking Explode Pots ... and she had 4 Greaters and a couple Cu's on her.

And when we are killing a Champ ... we are not calling for tamers ... that would be silly and take way too long! Instead we want the archers and dexers (such as my LJer ... very good Champ killer except for Rikky).

I think you are way over-estimating the damage output of a Greater Dragon. They are good tanks, thanks to the high HP, but a good dexer out-damages them hit for hit every time!

H

Hunters Moon

Quit bumping post.
I didn't bump anything. I simply replied to a post in this thread. Stop playing Moderator.:lick:

You will probably get GD nerfed.....
GD should have never hit the live servers in the first place.
.......and that will stink for everyone but the few who are not tamers.
Link?

Dreadmares are for dorks
Tamer...dorks....*shrugs* Tomato tomahto

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tried to build one, but given up at 62 taming, because raising the taming skill is the most boring and painful thing I have ever done in UO (except maybe BODs). And I have grandmastered skills like Ninjitsu before!

So no, taming skill is not easy to learn. It is a pain in the backside!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*snickers* That is some funny stuff! My husband's Necro/Bush/Dexer wipes out my dragon damage-wise on peerless everytime. Blows it out of the water.

And Melissa? lmao! I got looting rights on my Discorder (80'ish magery, no eval) chucking Explode Pots ... and she had 4 Greaters and a couple Cu's on her.

And when we are killing a Champ ... we are not calling for tamers ... that would be silly and take way too long! Instead we want the archers and dexers (such as my LJer ... very good Champ killer except for Rikky).

I think you are way over-estimating the damage output of a Greater Dragon. They are good tanks, thanks to the high HP, but a good dexer out-damages them hit for hit every time!
Making a melee character who does equal damage as a well-trained Greater Dragon is very difficult. And then, he has not nearly as many health points as the dragon. Once one of the (Paragon) Balrons targets the dexxer, he's running. A tamer just has to stand at safety distance and heal his pet, while it deals massive damage to the monster.

So yes, usually tamers get the looting rights on dangerous monsters (not talking about Melissa herself; it is quite easy to get looting rights on her). Just admit it! It is a fact.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case you were not sure by my post, my main char is a dexer. I use a tamer for peerless, primarily, because I am lazy, tbh. I put in enough work on my dexer killing Champs, dont want to bother doing it on Peerless. But my friends who use dexers for it are putting out between 100 and 200 dmg per hit. My dragon doesnt do that. YES, it CAN tank, thanks to its high HP. But that doesnt mean its actual DAMAGE OUTPUT is equal to a well kitted dexer. All it means is a GD can take a beating.

H

Hunters Moon

Don't stick your icon tongue out at me.
:lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick: ....all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.... ....all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy........all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy........all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy....

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
soulseeker? maybe the best weap drop?
in doom on europa you regularly see dexxers soloing df's.
i have many tamers but when something new appears i turn to my archer.
actually isnt that another regular moan? archers overpowered? they nerfed all our top weaps a while back.

H

Hunters Moon

soulseeker? maybe the best weap drop?
in doom on europa you regularly see dexxers soloing df's.
i have many tamers but when something new appears i turn to my archer.
actually isnt that another regular moan? archers overpowered? they nerfed all our top weaps a while back.
Sure archers are powerful but its at a price. Arrows arn't free. Neither are tithe points unless you are using 100% lrc suits. Also with an archer you must balance your stats. Tamers have no such restrictions.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A tamer has the exact same stat restrictions as a mage. And don't give me that parry-mage crap, not many mages I know use parry ... they use 60+ DCI. I would be appalled to find a mage with 80 dex. What a silly and unnecessary waste of stats that would be!

Tamers have their advantage, for sure. BUt they are a long way from being gods. I took a dragon to doom once ... now that was an effort in futility with no dexer there to put out the needed damage! Sure, the dragon was able to take a beating ... until there were a zillion side spawn and my husband and I were dead and the dragons were dead and the DF was still well up on life! Yet we can take two dexxers to Doom, get in a corner, x-heal and take the DF down with no problems ... I would never waste another gold skull on my tamer!

Champ spawn ... a tamer is not real handy. Sure, the pets stay alive, but they are too slow at killing the spawn, and they take FOREVER on the champ ... I could be raided ten times over by the time a GD takes Barracoon - the weakling of the bunch - down. Give me a necro or a dexer (I really prefer the dexer, again because a necro will take a year to drop the champ) any day.

If I could make Peerless stay off an archer without a pet, I would prefer that method for peerless, as well. Dragons just take too long :yawn:

B

BardMal

Yeah, Bards got uhm, eh, (hosed).

At 120 music, 120 provoke, and 120 peace, us bards get to watch a GM archer kill 4 dragons before we can get a pair half dead.

H

Hunters Moon

At 120 music, 120 provoke, and 120 peace, us bards get to watch a GM archer kill 4 dragons before we can get a pair half dead.
....and thats why my bard collects dust in the corner of my keep. Like I have said before...its sad that it is easier to tame a GD than it is to peace it with higher skill. 360 points of bard skill FTL...

C

Connor_Graham

While your point is an extreme exaggeration, I guess you miss the point that the Bard with the 2 dragons is controlling 2 dragons at once, with no danger to him(or her)self. That same Bard in Doom can take down a DF a hell of a lot faster than that same Archer could.

X

Xin Law

Would it be possible to make the super dragons move really really slow, so that even someone on foot would be able to easily out run it. After all since it takes up more slots, and is a lot bigger, badder, and stronger than regular dragons, it would only make sense that it should move slower, even though they have the same basic anime structure, in essence they should move around slower than regular dragons. This would still allow the tamer to keep his 'easy mode' kill anything and everything without problem crap, while making it not very tactical in pvp.

Another idea would be to allow players to throw bolas at tamers pets to temporarily immobilize them, kind of like a parablow weapon special, would require you to be on foot and have that delay just like using it on a another player, but instead it can be a counter measure to help give players a chance to survive and combat these insane beasts.

Or better yet, let the necromancer spell Mind Rot make the beast temporarily not respond to commands, I mean finally give this spell a useful attribute.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
News flash Xin ... someone on foot CAN outrun a greater dragon! Easily! Frankly, the only place I have seen people die to a tamer's GD is choke points ... and even then, most are usually able to back off when they get targetted by it. AND the dragon usually dies. Immediately after the tamer is dispatched. Why on earth anyone would PvP with a GD is beyond me.

Oh, and you CAN temporarily immobilize a pet ... same way you do a person ... paralyze spell, nerve strike, parablow, etc.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Name calling because you don't understand whats said is both childish and ignorant.
He said no such thing you loon.
He said discord does no damage, are you trying to say hes wrong? Your an idiot.
Good to hear you finally see yourself for what you are GOD. There's an old chestnut about when you point the finger, there are three pointing back at you...

....and thats why my bard collects dust in the corner of my keep. Like I have said before...its sad that it is easier to tame a GD than it is to peace it with higher skill. 360 points of bard skill FTL...
We kind of agree here. I do wish greater dragons had been made both harder to tame, and harder to control than they currently are. They really aren't much harder to tame and control than the four slot pets, or the fire steed, and they really should be.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A tamer has the exact same stat restrictions as a mage. And don't give me that parry-mage crap, not many mages I know use parry ... they use 60+ DCI. I would be appalled to find a mage with 80 dex. What a silly and unnecessary waste of stats that would be!
I would like to see Tamers removed from PvP in Fel, but thats just my opinion.

Also the way things are today the only way a mage has a chance in PvP against a dexer is to have high DCI like you said, 60+.

It is hugely expensive to make a mage suit that has 60+DCI with MR, LRC, LMC, FC/FCR, SDI and all 60+ if not all 70+ in resists.

It's not like the mage has a Spell Lower Resist, other than curse, which isnt nearly as deadly as HLD, SSI, DI, Poison, and Hit Spell which can basically all hit at the same time.

I make uber dexer suits of armor all day long and they havent cost me a fraction of what my mage suit costs. My mage suit was probably 10 to 20 times more expensive than my dexer armour.

If someone has a way to post a pic of my mage suit, I will gladly post it.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So yes, usually tamers get the looting rights on dangerous monsters (not talking about Melissa herself; it is quite easy to get looting rights on her). Just admit it! It is a fact.
This is just so wrong in every sense.

I have a very good Greater Dragon. I was at Millesa(sp)'s and I would engage every thing. I wasnt there for the Fame/Karma. I was there for the Paragon rewards and to be more interactive with the Server Community. I had no issues with the GD being the Tank (945HP, 85 Phys Res, 87 Fire Res).

In 3 hours of killing, I only got notification ONCE and that was on a Normal Slayer.

These guys would just let the Greater beat the crap of Mill and the Paragons when the MoB was Half health they would cast one (most of the time) two (infrequently) spells and get the Kill.

I fully accept that my Greater could probably take down a Paragon Balron solo, it may take a while but he probably could do it.

THAT ISNT THE POINT.

The point is there were 3 to 5 people that would cast a single spell (not all together) and kill the MoB.

I suspect the spell is Wither?

For a while there was an Archer there that was simply out doing every one.

So if you wanted REAL RANKINGS, the GD was 3rd Rate, the guys casting the spell was 2nd rate and the Archer was first Rate.

You are simply so wrong in your assertion.

If you think this was a fluke, WRONG the exact same thing happened Sunday.

I really do not get this Nerf Greater Dragons.

I Tame Greater Dragons. They are a LOT TOUGHER AND MEANER than you ever face in PvP. THEY LOVE TO TELEPORT ON ME. I am a Soft Bodied Tamer, 45 Phys Res, 65Fire, 64Poison. I DONT DIE TO THEM THAT OFTEN. When I do it is my own DUMB MISTAKES (well mostly). YOU all are UBER PvP and you can NOT DEAL WITH THEM?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I really do not get this Nerf Greater Dragons.
What's not to get? They are prejudiced. They hate tamers. There is no real good reason for it. The greater dragon is a nice big obvious target, so they are all hammering on that target as often as they can. What is actually happening in game doesn't support their views, but hatred doesn't usually care all that much about the truth...

H

Hunters Moon

A tamer has the exact same stat restrictions as a mage.
Ummmm...huh? Last I looked,you could be as creative with stat distribution as you wanted to.No restrictions with stats as a tamer. No int required to control pets at all.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A tamer has the exact same stat restrictions as a mage.
Ummmm...huh? Last I looked,you could be as creative with stat distribution as you wanted to.No restrictions with stats as a tamer. No int required to control pets at all.

ummm... I would like to hear what he thinks the same restrictions are.

Please explain? Does Str, Dex or Int have anything to do with ones ability to tame or heal something?

G

Glim Gerrack

Why is everyone who plays UO such a bunch of whiners?

Please lock this thread -oh great moderators!

S

Sarphus

Why is everyone who plays UO such a bunch of whiners?

Please lock this thread -oh great moderators!
LOL

tell me about it...

I was amazed when I went to catch up on the stratics boards and saw this thread was still rolling along with the same uninformed crybaby nonsense.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Int part is not entirely correct. There is no empirical information saying INT is involved or NOT involved in Controling a pet (if not it should be).

ON THE OTHER HAND

Go set your in to 25 on TC1 and try to tame a GD. It isnt going to happen.

Heck raise your INT to 125 and set your str to 25. It isnt going to happen.

Does it even occur to any one any more why some stats increase and others do not when your using a skill?

Anyone want to suggest that any stat can raise using any skill ... well then I am going to suggest they go raise up Stealthing in their house (easy as pie) and watch just exactly how many gains in STR they will get. Let me tell you how many it will be EXACTLY ZERO.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's not to get? They are prejudiced. They hate tamers. There is no real good reason for it. The greater dragon is a nice big obvious target, so they are all hammering on that target as often as they can. What is actually happening in game doesn't support their views, but hatred doesn't usually care all that much about the truth...
:)

I was being Rhetorical :)

Why they would want to Nerf Greater Dragons is not all that relevant to me, unless it is based in reality. So far there has been nothing I see that is even remotely realistic.

On the other hand I do think some good ideas about fine tunning Tamming have been presented but those ideas are about Tamming and NOT Greater Dragons in PvP and as usueal have been lost in the White Noise Of Nerf The ... heck out what ever it is that I percieve is better than me.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Int part is not entirely correct. There is no empirical information saying INT is involved or NOT involved in Controling a pet (if not it should be).

ON THE OTHER HAND

Go set your in to 25 on TC1 and try to tame a GD. It isnt going to happen.

Heck raise your INT to 125 and set your str to 25. It isnt going to happen.

Does it even occur to any one any more why some stats increase and others do not when your using a skill?
Enigma, glad to see someone else thinking along these lines. Although it has never been posted, that I'm aware of, I believe there are some strength and intelligence requirements tied into taming success. I can't prove it, but I've seen taming success with the more difficult tameables appear to take a real nose dive when my tamer is under a debuff effect versus having full strength/full intelligence (i.e., 100+ strength and 100+ intelligence).

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why they would want to Nerf Greater Dragons is not all that relevant to me, unless it is based in reality. So far there has been nothing I see that is even remotely realistic.

Those of us who PvP find the amount of damage a GD can do in one hit to be a bit much. The 80+ damage they do in one hit is reality based, the reality of all of a sudden being redlined, and in most cases blead as well.

In PvP no other tempalte can do that much damge in one hit, so how can you say our complaints aren't even remotely realistic?

As for Tram or PvM, I don't think they should change taming or the GD's at all.