• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamers got Greater Dragons and the Dread Mares.....

• Thread starter Hunters Moon
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

Sneaky

Why are you guys complaining? My bushido dexxer can solo things a greater dragon cannot.
Yeh... the idea that tamers are somehow the best PvM chars is an utter joke, a good dexer is 100000000000000000x better (K, maybe not that much better, but a fair bit :p) than any tamer/pet combo for most (note I said MOST, there are some instances where tamers are better) PvM applications.

E

Eslake

Show me a melee weapon or mage spell that can corrupt armor. Show me a suit or armor that gives me 1000+hps. Show me some jewlery that would allow me to cast 3 spells in about a second.Tamers have this ability with the command of a rune beetle/mare combo and the Greater Dragon.

Mages are required to have at least 80 dex to have full use of parry. Tamers have no such restrictions to their template.No mana cost to give an "all kill" command.No Int requirement to tame the Greater Dragon(which I think is crazy...arnt the Greater Dragons supposed to be super smart,but they are easily tricked by an elf/human that doesn't even have half the int). Dex is not factored in when healing a pet with Vet.
Let's go through this one bit at a time.

Weapon that can corrupt armor - none. But bushido, ninjitsu, and chivalry all have bonus attack methodologies, most of which no pets can do.

Armor that grants 1000+hp - I don't understand the correlation here. Pets don't give the tamer health they themselves have the health, rather like a warrior's weapon has health (and I might point out, a weapon can only be found/created with a minimum of 10,000 health, and a maximum of 255,000).

3 spells in a second - It depends on what you are calling spells. The only way a tamer can do that is by casting while 2 pets are (which the tamer has no control over). In direct correlation, a typical melee template can #1 - apply a bandage while #2 avoidoing a hit with parry and #3 swing their weapon.

Mages and 80 dex - The only reason I can thin of that a mage would have parry is if they were a Bushido Mage. I was refering to the fact that Eval (a mage specific skill) is factored with Anatomy for a full melee avoidance value.

No mana cost to "all kill" - and none to swing a sword, dagger, boken, or fire a bow or apply a bandage.

No INT required to tame a greater dragon - No INT required to swing a weapon. No Dex required to cast a spell. What were you trying to say?
Tamers have the same Other skills as anyone, and they apply their attributes where they do the most good, just the same as every other template.

All of this has been hashed back and forth for years.
Tamers have better than average (but not the best) advantages in PvM, and suffer drawbacks in PvP (led pets, ghost pet locking, misdirection, etc)

Funny that nobody cries about dexers.. as they ARE the most powerful in PvM. Probably because Taming actually requires effort of training, where a dexer can be 5x 120 in less than 3 days by Unattended Macroing, so those who would complain just make one themselves.

As to PvP, nec-mages, ninja-archers, and bush-chiv-archers all outdo any pet combination ever divised.

So as Tamers don't dominate either PvM or PvP, who should we be complaining about? ;)

V

Vyal

How to kill a tamer, step one get spellweaving step two get pixies step three cast arcane circle, step four let them flag you, step five put pixies on tamer and run the dragon to some far off location comeback and kill tamer.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mages are required to have at least 80 dex to have full use of parry. Tamers have no such restrictions to their template.No mana cost to give an "all kill" command.No Int requirement to tame the Greater Dragon(which I think is crazy...arnt the Greater Dragons supposed to be super smart,but they are easily tricked by an elf/human that doesn't even have half the int). Dex is not factored in when healing a pet with Vet.
As much as it pains me to agree with you on anything, I do think an intelligence check for taming, and for control isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, people have talked about adding vet as another requisite for pet control, I think I would prefer intelligence as the prerequisite over the vet skill.

I haven't thought this all the way through yet, but the idea appeals to me. Perhaps a minimum vet that is quite low, and an intelligence that is higher. So keep the taming and lore requirements as they are, and add a proportionally equal intelligence requirement, and a vet requirement that is maybe, proportionally 33%.

But as I said, I haven't necessarily thought this through completely. This would favour mage/tamers without a doubt, and make the warrior/tamer templates much more difficult to work. It might have an effect on the average bard template, if they don't carry vet, but I think most bard templates have high int. Would this be a good thing?

S

Sarphus

It's like talking to a wall... Or maybe these tamers only speak Dragon and that is why they don't seem to understand us.
I think he forgot to mention that he was fighting the 3 stooges and shem.

A PERFECT greater dragon will not kill 3 or 4 good players without assistance from the dragon's owner.

He must be fighting some real yahoos :)

Y

Yalp

Isn't the original poster one who just last week was crying about the game being stagnant, on its deathbed, with nothing new to entertain veteran players?

There is skill, timing and tactics involved in every template.. pure and hybrid included. Period. To claim otherwise is childish and reflects badly on you.

I've said it before and I say it again.. TAMER + PET = TEAM! as in more than one.. multiple... not solo! If you regularly solo 2 or more peeps in pvp then you should be able to easily take on the occasional tamer w/ GD. I suspect you don't and you can't, and you think tamer w/ GD should be an easy target. When you get your butt handed to you , you come here crying.

Change your tactics, your tools, your weapons, your armor, your strategy.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

Erasmus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG how pathetic is that!!
Of course tamers hide behind their dragons!!
THEIR TAMERS!!

Thats like saying : " Oh Warriors hide behind there sword and sheild!!"
I know lets take away thier swords and tell them to go hunt!!!

Tamers have their pets to hunt with just like swordsmen have their swords! GEt over it and move on!! :rant2:

So I do not get flamed, just want to say I have 2 tamers maxed on 3 different accounts...I could care less about the tamer this...tamer that...

I think a lot of the hatred comes from the fact that Tamers have a few things they can do that others can not. For example, a Tamer/Mage has the ability to stand from a distance and cast heal on their pet. This in a PvM setting, basicly gives a person a hp shield, while still handing out tons of damage. Think of all the injustice that would be yelled out if Tamers could only heal with Vet! Even if a pet dies the damage that it can dish out while being healed is often much greater then the other templates.

Tamers for the 9 years I have played, have ALWAYS, been the top of the chain in PvM. This is nothing new! To say "no they have not" simply tells me people do not know what they are talking about.

I use different characters for different things. Some things are 100 times easier with a tamer, while other things might be 100 times easier with another template. Like many have said to the OP, go make a Tamer nothing is stoping you.

In PvP tamers well...they used to be worthless. If now they are overpowered then it is simply a turning point on extremes. I do not PvP very much so I could care less. Killing or being killed (emphasis on being killed) is not fun to me. For PvP I go play BF2:)

My 2.

btw I do not own a greater dragon, never used one, and in PvM the new Mare is nothing great.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Any [/B]person could've done that... so let's just get that one off the list for good now.
Yes any person COULD turn themselfs in to a tamer to coin it in but doesn't that spell out the problem with whats being added that you would HAVE to?

As I already said the some of that stuff may not be for tamers but tamers are the ones taming it and selling it. If the portable forges are for smiths then make the requirement to tame one 0, or 100 mining.

Awww... so tamers received some really cute mounts:
Your talking about how their just for show in current UO when they came out like 7 years ago.

Reptalon: I am not even going to comment on this one.
No? Then I'll do it for you, when it came out it could Nerve strike. Why was it changed? Because it was yet another pet added with little to no thought to how over powered it would be.

so 10 decent - very good weapons that move extremely slow. Hmmm... that's not so bad over the multitude of items.... let's say... a fencer can have... the speed with which to attack... plus, all the bonuses the fencer can have on top of that... for chivalry or many other skill sets.
They don't excatly need to move fast when they have 100's of hp and self healing abilities. Chivalry isn't fencing and bonuses like what what? Hit spell, it's weak, specials aside from whirlwind and feint are mostly pointless in PvM.

Let's weigh this... 10 "weapons"...
Your comparing pets to warriors when most pets are mages and warriors and something else on top.

Am I making a point yet or rambling on @ 2 am on a work day?
Not yet no.

I guess what I am saying is you either evolve and are a good player or just think you are.
Evolving as a player is nothing to do with it, devs decide what goes in not the players and what the devs have added most of is pets.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How to kill a tamer, step one get spellweaving step two get pixies step three cast arcane circle, step four let them flag you, step five put pixies on tamer and run the dragon to some far off location comeback and kill tamer.

Umm.. step two is get arcan circle and step three is cast the pixies :p

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 spells in a second - It depends on what you are calling spells. The only way a tamer can do that is by casting while 2 pets are (which the tamer has no control over). In direct correlation, a typical melee template can #1 - apply a bandage while #2 avoidoing a hit with parry and #3 swing their weapon.
I still think you are missing the point.

1st) I've had GD's cast 3 spells on me in a faster time than I could cast a greater heal. As I posted earlier, I have had a GD firebreath me and then fireball me, there was less than a second delay between the two. In fact as the firebreath hit me I instantly cast a GH but it wasn't in time, the fireball killed me first, and as I also said before I have 89 fire resist and 70 phys resist.

2nd) Every other template requires either mana and/or dex to do damage, but taming doesn't.

3rd) Yes pets and GD's walk slowly, but again, if they can do 80HP+ damage in one shot they should walk slowly. As I said in answer 1, it didn't matter how slow the GD walked.

4th) Also if they happen to target you and you run off the screen you still seem to get hit with multiple spells. I have had many situations where I start to get dumped on by the GD and I run 3 to 4 screens away.. the whole time i'm getting lit up with flamestirkes, poisons, mana drains, explodes, and fire balls. I can see one spell hitting me off screen, even two, but not 4 spells, yet it happes a lot.

C

Charbear

Arguing doesn't make you or anyone else right but since you enjoy it so....

Yes any person COULD turn themselfs in to a tamer to coin it in but doesn't that spell out the problem with whats being added that you would HAVE to?
Let's see... this comment is very sad. Buying a little taming turns you into a "tamer"?? What are soulstone fragments for if you don't use them? How else (other than taming) do you recommend getting an animal as a pet? Hmmmm? Regardless, you would need some sort of "skill" to do it. What exactly is the point you are trying to make here???? Just because you don't want to do something simple to avoid paying millions in gold for a desirable object... well, that is plain ridiculous. I must be missing some monumental observation on your part.

As I already said the some of that stuff may not be for tamers but tamers are the ones taming it and selling it. If the portable forges are for smiths then make the requirement to tame one 0, or 100 mining.
Umh... why? How does that even make sense? Is it your point to make everything easy and be handed items (any items: pets, etc) on a silver platter? Ideas like that will make a game that has been enjoyed for years... boring and absolutely lame. Glad there are people out there running the show that can think and not be blinded by greed and laziness (IN GAME).

Your talking about how their just for show in current UO when they came out like 7 years ago.
7 years ago, eh? No... not right... but why argue? I am sure every tamer in UO ran out with their uni or kirin and attacked PKs. What a smart idea!

No? Then I'll do it for you, when it came out it could Nerve strike. Why was it changed? Because it was yet another pet added with little to no thought to how over powered it would be.
And you worked for Origin (or EA) and know for a fact that is the reasoning behind this? Please scan a copy of the document that clearly states this is the exact reason for that change and the only change made. This isn't the 1800s... we have t.v. and computers now. We need to see stuff to believe it!

They don't excatly need to move fast when they have 100's of hp and self healing abilities. Chivalry isn't fencing and bonuses like what what? Hit spell, it's weak, specials aside from whirlwind and feint are mostly pointless in PvM.
OK... so tamers need pets that are weaker than their human counter parts because... why? A weapon makes a character stronger, no? I mean... you don't see melee characters going around pvp or pvm with their fists, right? When the animals are tamed, they lose stats, yes? That would make them weaker than the "wild ones" running around in the game, yes? Let's see... what is your point again? Frankly, I see you rambling on about the same stuff... *yawns* I mean... obviously, a character is supposed to run up and kill a dragon in 1 hit, yes? If you use a mage or healing ability, you heal yourself too, right? Well dang... if I was being hit, I would heal myself too! Poor animals are so abused! PETA would be outraged!

Your comparing pets to warriors when most pets are mages and warriors and something else on top.
Jealousy rears it's ugly head! You don't hate tamers... you hate animals!
*a hush decends upon the forum* Tsk, tsk... you should be ashamed!
Mages, warriors and what...? Picked on because the crybaby can only have 720 skill points and doesn't have as much hp? *sighs* Talk about one track minds. No matter how many ways you slice it... comprehension is not the strong point here, am I right?

Not yet no.
I think we all could say the same thing right about now.

Evolving as a player is nothing to do with it, devs decide what goes in not the players and what the devs have added most of is pets.
So... it doesn't take a new strategy to beat a new monster or animal? Key word here... "new"... evolve... getting better... but it has nothing to do with that, right? I am surprised you can PK at all... if you don't change and grow and learn new ways of doing things... you must be fighting like we did out of the box...
'Magic Reflection...'
'Magic arrow...'
Now, THAT takes talent! LOL!
As for the "what the devs have added most of is pets", I think you need to go to www.I-Need-A-Math-Tutor.com.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Arguing doesn't make you or anyone else right but since you enjoy it so....
Glad you agree. What your missing is that your the one arguing with my post.

Let's see... this comment is very sad. Buying a little taming turns you into a "tamer"??
Whats sad is that you would need to in order to get any value from whats added.

What are soulstone fragments for if you don't use them?
I do use them but again why should I have to turn my char in to a tamer in order to profit from content?

How else (other than taming) do you recommend getting an animal as a pet? Hmmmm?
Your missing the point, we don't ALL wan't to be tamers but they are not adding content evenly.

Regardless, you would need some sort of "skill" to do it. What exactly is the point you are trying to make here????
Again, we don't all want to be tamers and we shouldn't need to have one just to get worthwhile content.

Just because you don't want to do something simple to avoid paying millions in gold for a desirable object... well, that is plain ridiculous.
It's not desireable to me. Again your missing the point, not everyone wants a pet everytime they add something to the game.

I must be missing some monumental observation on your part.
Thats a bit of an understatement.

Umh... why? How does that even make sense?
Uhm because your arguing that they shouldn't be on a list of things added for tamers because smiths use them.

Is it your point to make everything easy and be handed items (any items: pets, etc) on a silver platter?
Wtf are you even talking about? I'm not seriously suggesting it for an idea for the game, I'm making the point that IF as YOU say they don't belong on the 'things added for tamers list' then why do they have a taming requirement. Your the one arguing pointless details.

Glad there are people out there running the show that can think and not be blinded by greed and laziness (IN GAME).
For a definition of greed see the above 10-20m for a pink bunny.

7 years ago, eh? No... not right... but why argue? I am sure every tamer in UO ran out with their uni or kirin and attacked PKs. What a smart idea!
You're the only person arguing about anything, YOU were making the blind observation that unicorns and ki rins aren't used and some bs comment about chargers. Totally failing to understand that chargers didn't exist when unicorns and ki rins came out.

And you worked for Origin (or EA) and know for a fact that is the reasoning behind this?
You don't have to be a weatherman to know when it's pissing down. Nerve strike had a dominant era in PvP in case you didn't notice and thats just on players, pets (which hit harder due to ignoring damage caps) would be over powered with nerve strike.

OK... so tamers need pets that are weaker than their human counter parts because... why?
Uhm, I didn't say that so dunno wtf your talking about again. What I said (what you quoted in case you need it spelt out) was a reply to your dismissive bs about pet speed.

When the animals are tamed, they lose stats, yes? That would make them weaker than the "wild ones" running around in the game, yes?
Not quite no, you see tamed ones can be trained up, or didn't you know? They also have a player healing them. I mean this has been the case for a long time, yet seems news to you?

Let's see... what is your point again? Frankly, I see you rambling on about the same stuff... *yawns*
My point was clear in my first post. You're arguing it turning it in to all these side tracked little comments you make that are nothing to do with it.

I mean... obviously, a character is supposed to run up and kill a dragon in 1 hit, yes?
Again, this isn't something I've said neither is it anything to do with this thread.

If you use a mage or healing ability, you heal yourself too, right? Well dang... if I was being hit, I would heal myself too! Poor animals are so abused! PETA would be outraged!
Is there a point related to this thread or are you just doing a social commentary on the game?

Jealousy rears it's ugly head! You don't hate tamers... you hate animals!
I hate tamers because the majority of content added to this game is pets. I hate the pets because their unbalanced.

*a hush decends upon the forum* Tsk, tsk... you should be ashamed!
Ashamed of being honest and calling it as I see it? It says more about you than it does about me that you think thats a shameful thing.

Mages, warriors and what...? Picked on because the crybaby can only have 720 skill points and doesn't have as much hp? *sighs* Talk about one track minds.
Try reading the topic before you post.

No matter how many ways you slice it... comprehension is not the strong point here, am I right?
Certainly not yours.

I think we all could say the same thing right about now.
Could, though it wouldn't be on topic.

So... it doesn't take a new strategy to beat a new monster or animal?
Has what to do with this thread? The topic (as you still don't seem to have figured it out) is the lack of other content for other classes because their always adding pets.

Key word here... "new"... evolve... getting better... but it has nothing to do with that, right?
Heres some more key words: "Off topic" "Rambling"

I am surprised you can PK at all
Two obvious things wrong with that, firstly - again - nothing to do with the topic, I haven't talked about PvP in this thread. Secondly you can't PK a pet as the P stands for player.

As for the "what the devs have added most of is pets", I think you need to go to www.I-Need-A-Math-Tutor.com.
Name calling because you don't understand whats said is both childish and ignorant. Though as you've yet to make any on topic point in this thread it's isn't unexpected.

C

Charbear

LOL... childish? Uhh... that is the pot calling the kettle black. Thanks for being a perfect lemming and giving me a good laugh. If anyone was missing a point, it was you. I was being perfectly goofy and you respond like a total flipping high & mighty idiot. Try reading between the lines next time. Respond again so everyone sees who has control here... I am telling you to.

See you in the Carebear land people like YOU have created!

H

Hunters Moon

Isn't the original poster one who just last week was crying about the game being stagnant, on its deathbed, with nothing new to entertain veteran players?
That wasn't me saying that.

There is skill, timing and tactics involved in every template.. pure and hybrid included. Period. To claim otherwise is childish and reflects badly on you.
In PvM especially do not see this "Lofty skill and timing" ya'll keep talking about. I see the "steamroller" tactic instead. "All kill!" *loot* "All kill!" *loot* *rense and repeat*

I've said it before and I say it again.. TAMER + PET = TEAM! as in more than one.. multiple... not solo! If you regularly solo 2 or more peeps in pvp then you should be able to easily take on the occasional tamer w/ GD. I suspect you don't and you can't, and you think tamer w/ GD should be an easy target. When you get your butt handed to you , you come here crying.
I have never lost to a tamer and a GD. They usually hug the guard zone when I am there.Even if I did lose to one,I am not the type of person to come crying about it here.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
4th) Also if they happen to target you and you run off the screen you still seem to get hit with multiple spells. I have had many situations where I start to get dumped on by the GD and I run 3 to 4 screens away.. the whole time i'm getting lit up with flamestirkes, poisons, mana drains, explodes, and fire balls. I can see one spell hitting me off screen, even two, but not 4 spells, yet it happes a lot.
That is done by ANY spell casting monster now, ever since KR was introduced. They can cast on you well over a full screen+ away, we can't (over 9 tiles if I remember correctly) but ANY monster can easily (and don't say it's lag, for lag has nothing to do with it, 5 spells isn't lag, 1 extra maybe, 4 to 5 no). It is ABOUT TIME IT GETS FIXED for all. This isn't JUST a Greater Drag problem it's all spell casting monsters & KR is to blame for it.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

LOL... childish? Uhh... that is the pot calling the kettle black. Thanks for being a perfect lemming and giving me a good laugh. If anyone was missing a point, it was you. I was being perfectly goofy and you respond like a total flipping high & mighty idiot. Try reading between the lines next time.
No, you were being a troll (& still are). You were 'being goofy' and calling names, sounds childish to me. You expect me to 'read between the lines' when you failed to understand any of my origional post.

See you in the Carebear land people like YOU have created!
Three things wrong with that, firstly devs created carebare land as you put it. Secondly I didn't say I don't PvP just that it has no relavence in this thread. Thirdly if you'll 'see me there' that would imply your there too. As you don't seem to get the third one it highlights your angry childish rambling.

Oh and you still haven't made any point in this thread thats relavent.

Y

Yalp

Char and Lord.. love ya both.. but I've lost whatever may have been your actual points awhile ago. Deep breathing peeps!

Snake brings up a good point.. I've been killed many a time by Oni's that were 4 sceens away.. casting faster than I can get a heal spell in. Multiple shots. Flamestrike first (which is as it should be with that spell). followed by poisoning, cursing, weakening, fireball and more fireball. The speed and range of casting.. whew.. wish I had that on my mage.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is done by ANY spell casting monster now, ever since KR was introduced. They can cast on you well over a full screen+ away, we can't (over 9 tiles if I remember correctly) but ANY monster can easily (and don't say it's lag, for lag has nothing to do with it, 5 spells isn't lag, 1 extra maybe, 4 to 5 no). It is ABOUT TIME IT GETS FIXED for all. This isn't JUST a Greater Drag problem it's all spell casting monsters & KR is to blame for it.
Heh, so true...

Here is a word of advice; Never EarthQuake in the middle of 10 Ratmen Mages in Despise :stretcher:

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That wasn't me saying that.

In PvM especially do not see this "Lofty skill and timing" ya'll keep talking about. I see the "steamroller" tactic instead. "All kill!" *loot* "All kill!" *loot* *rense and repeat*

I have never lost to a tamer and a GD. They usually hug the guard zone when I am there.Even if I did lose to one,I am not the type of person to come crying about it here.
The "Team" concept he is explaining has one major flaw. The GD can do almost double the damage a "player" can do. So two say if you regularly solo two players, you shold be able to solo a tamer and his pet is just not true.

Yes the tamer can and probably will die, but there is a very good chance that the PKer will die to the GD while trying to kill the tamer. This has nothing to do with the skill of the tamer or for that matter the skill of the PKer, it has to do with the ridiculous damage the GD does in one hit.

E

Eslake

o2bavr6 said:
1st) I've had GD's cast 3 spells on me in a faster time than I could cast a greater heal. As I posted earlier, I have had a GD firebreath me and then fireball me, there was less than a second delay between the two. In fact as the firebreath hit me I instantly cast a GH but it wasn't in time, the fireball killed me first, and as I also said before I have 89 fire resist and 70 phys resist.
Ah I see what you're talking about. On this I agree. It isn't a Taming problem its a spellcasting creatures - period - problem. I'd gladly lose that on my tamer's pets if it meant I didn't get hit by 3-4 spells in the space of 2 seconds when a Lich Lord spawns next to me. :)

2nd) Every other template requires either mana and/or dex to do damage, but taming doesn't.
That isn't entirely accurate. More Int means bigger spells for a mage, Dex for faster shots/hits by archers and melee, etc... but on the flip side, a Tamer needs Some way to tame these things. The taming itself doesn't require int, but without arch cure, greater heal, and invis (or some serious armor, chiv and bandages) you don't have a pet Greater Dragon.
*yes, friends could help get one, but friends could also join you in PvP to counter any weakness you might have*

3rd) Yes pets and GD's walk slowly, but again, if they can do 80HP+ damage in one shot they should walk slowly. As I said in answer 1, it didn't matter how slow the GD walked.
Funny thing that. The most powerful pets in PvP are weak ones - Frenzied Ostards. They have no Slowness factor after tamed, and with the pack bonus 5 of them can shred an all 70s warrior with 120bush and parry holding a 2h weapon in about 3 seconds. ;) But people aren't complaining about those.

See #1. It's part of the same problem. The server was designed to take shortcuts, and one of those is spell quing for NPCs. They decide several spells in advance what to cast and it doesn't matter if you recall to another subserver - you're still going to get hit by them.
Its pure laziness on the developers' part.

All in all tho, I don't see the big inbalance people are talking about. Take a tamer to a Fel champ spawn and see how long they last when the scroll "owner" guilds show up.
PvP is absolutely dominated by 3 templates, and none of them use taming.
PvM is absolutely dominated by bush dexers/archers.

Tamers just get the bad rap because the pets make them stand out. When a red nec comes by and slaughters you in 1.5 seconds, you rez up business as usual. But when a big honking dragon named Fluffy chomps you to death, you remember. :D

Y

Yalp

OK. so GD does the damage of 2 players, not one. Ya got me there.

My point was that a tamer + a greater isn't equal to just one pvp'r. It's equal to a team. And you don't go running into a team of pvp'rs when you are solo.

But with the right tactics, weapons, strategy, template you can. That doesn't make a tamer + greater overpowered .. it makes them DIFFERENT!

Different is GOOD! Same is boring... say it with me...

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

C

Connor_Graham

My point was that a tamer + a greater isn't equal to just one pvp'r. It's equal to a team. And you don't go running into a team of pvp'rs when you are solo.
And you don't see a problem with a single player (PvP'r) being considered a team while every other non tamer template out there is just a single player (PvP'r) and NOT a team?

I'd say it gives the one a fairly big advantage over the other where it shouldn't. One single player should more or less be equal to another single player, not more, as per your own admission.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Char and Lord.. love ya both.. but I've lost whatever may have been your actual points awhile ago.
Ok, the topic of the thread is "Tamers got Greater Dragons and the Dread Mares..." and my point (on page 2 or 3 I think) was that just mentioning the last two additions seems to understate the point the OP was making, as throughout the history of UO there have always been more pets added than the unique content the other classes have had. As stated roughly 2-4 per expansion.

Y

Yalp

Yes..my point is that tamers with pet should be a harder opponent than a single player. That is the nature of the template.

Is your argument with tamers? tamers in pvp? tamers in the game in general? are you arguing that all pets should dole out the same damage? same type of damage (fire for example). so cu's, nightmare, dread, beetles, bake's, hy's, ww,ubers and a pack of ossie's all should be nerfed? are you arguing that for everything in the game, players and mobs, they should be able to be taken out solo?

I am not certain there is a nerf bat that big.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One single player should more or less be equal to another single player said:
When we had that.....duels lasted for days. Its balanced in that you can choose your template/friends/Action taken.

C

Connor_Graham

Yes..my point is that tamers with pet should be a harder opponent than a single player. That is the nature of the template.
And what reasoning do you have why ANY single template should have a decidedly HUGE advantage over any other single template. It's still one player vs another player. PvP is supposed to be balanced, not have one template that can do as much damage as multiple players. If that was the case, then we'd still have WoD archers using Honor 1 shotting your tamers.

Y

Yalp

I don't believe tamer + pet has a huge advantage over any template ( i assume we all agree to exclude non-fighter templates from this discussion). I do agree tamer + pet has SOME advantage over SOME templates.

I think the faulty logic is that ALL templates should be equal to be "balanced". That is not the case with UO. Every template has a benefit over other templates, but not ALL templates. There are templates that have the ability to counter the tamer + pet combo. But not EVERY template. Nor do I believe that EVERY template should be.

This is all just my $0.02.. which is worth no more and no less than anyone elses.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am still wondering why my Herding, Begging, Camping, chiv tailor cant kill the Greater Dragon and his pet.:grouphug:

C

Charbear

Ok, the topic of the thread is "Tamers got Greater Dragons and the Dread Mares..." and my point (on page 2 or 3 I think) was that just mentioning the last two additions seems to understate the point the OP was making, as throughout the history of UO there have always been more pets added than the unique content the other classes have had. As stated roughly 2-4 per expansion.
No, that is a point you are trying to make. What does purple bunnies and everything else you mentioned have to do with the current addition of GDs and Dread Mares? Nothing. You took this "off topic" as you would call it and it had no business here either. You may want to heed your own advice instead of passing it out, Mr. More Holy than Thou.

"No, you were being a troll (& still are)." That is name calling too. Are you daft?

Y

Yalp

And what reasoning do you have why ANY single template should have a decidedly HUGE advantage over any other single template. It's still one player vs another player. PvP is supposed to be balanced, not have one template that can do as much damage as multiple players. If that was the case, then we'd still have WoD archers using Honor 1 shotting your tamers.
I hear your thoughts here.. but I don't agree. How can you say pvp is balanced when we have blatant cheating, gank squads, and attacking crafters outside of guard zones in fel? If pvp were designed to be one on one.. then wouldn't the ruleset for fel necessarily need to be changed?

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

Y

Yalp

personally I'd love to see a new fey slayer added! woo hoo! the original point may be correct.. tamers got some love, sw got some hate, we all got pixel crack (love that term) with the turn in.. but in general.. feels like the game is pretty much ignored and taken for granted by the EA team?

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

C

Connor_Graham

How can you say pvp is balanced when we have blatant cheating, gank squads, and attacking crafters outside of guard zones in fel?

Ah, but that's an entirely different topic of discussion. We all know cheating is rampant among certain groups, but that has nothing to do with balance in PvP in general. More the need for something to be done to fix the cheating.

If pvp were designed to be one on one.. then wouldn't the ruleset for fel necessarily need to be changed?
I didn't say it was designed to be one on one. What I did say was that one player should equal one player, and not one player equals 2 players IF that one player happens to play a tamer template and uses a GD as the weapon of choice.

Right now a GD far exceeds any damage caps that are placed on PvP for the sake of balance, and can do more damage in a shorter amount of time with a single hit than any player using any template other than a tamer with a GD could possibly do, even using the gimpiest template they could possibly devise. There is definitely something wrong with that picture. I can see it and I don't even PvP.

Y

Yalp

Right now a GD far exceeds any damage caps that are placed on PvP for the sake of balance, and can do more damage in a shorter amount of time with a single hit than any player using any template other than a tamer with a GD could possibly do, even using the gimpiest template they could possibly devise. There is definitely something wrong with that picture. I can see it and I don't even PvP.[/QUOTE]

You are definitely right there.. a GD does do more damage than a single player.. but is it IMPOSSIBLE to kill?

It's been demonstrated that with the right counter-template, you can kill it and the tamer. Which is balance and the bottom line to my argument.

Yalpers!

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah I see what you're talking about. On this I agree. It isn't a Taming problem its a spellcasting creatures - period - problem. I'd gladly lose that on my tamer's pets if it meant I didn't get hit by 3-4 spells in the space of 2 seconds when a Lich Lord spawns next to me. :)
Agreed!

That isn't entirely accurate. More Int means bigger spells for a mage, Dex for faster shots/hits by archers and melee, etc... but on the flip side, a Tamer needs Some way to tame these things. The taming itself doesn't require int, but without arch cure, greater heal, and invis (or some serious armor, chiv and bandages) you don't have a pet Greater Dragon.
*yes, friends could help get one, but friends could also join you in PvP to counter any weakness you might have*
Except that a tamer can use pots to cure, pots to heal, and invis pots. So you really dont need mana or dex or int do you ;)

Funny thing that. The most powerful pets in PvP are weak ones - Frenzied Ostards. They have no Slowness factor after tamed, and with the pack bonus 5 of them can shred an all 70s warrior with 120bush and parry holding a 2h weapon in about 3 seconds. ;) But people aren't complaining about those.
I don't think so! No pack of Frenzied Ostards can kill me unless I lose connection.

All in all tho, I don't see the big inbalance people are talking about. Take a tamer to a Fel champ spawn and see how long they last when the scroll "owner" guilds show up.
PvP is absolutely dominated by 3 templates, and none of them use taming.
PvM is absolutely dominated by bush dexers/archers.
If our guild chose to play on our tamers no one would ever raid us. In fact the zerg guild on my shard started to raid us using the GD's so we brought in our tamers with their GD's. Needless to say the zerg guild wasnt happy and procceded to break up after beign together for more than 5 years.

Tamers just get the bad rap because the pets make them stand out. When a red nec comes by and slaughters you in 1.5 seconds, you rez up business as usual. But when a big honking dragon named Fluffy chomps you to death, you remember. :D
A Necro will not kill me in 1.5 seconds ever. A necro can not do 80+HP damage in one hit, and then less than a second later cast the killing spell before you can even chug a pot or cast a greater heal.

A necro has to at least Corpse Skin you first, then evil omen you, from there they have to start dumping on you. AL this takes well over 4 seconds, which is an eternity in this game.

Also I can interupt a necro's spell with one of my own spells, I can not interupt the GD's spells

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but is it IMPOSSIBLE to kill?
Ya know if a player was dueling a GD on wrong roof, where the player had no where to run, it may almost be almost impossible to kill a GD before it kills you.

In reality you may kill the GD, but the GD would kill you more often, so in a best outa 5, the GD will probably win 3 or 4 out of 5. This would mainly be because the deal crazy amounts of damage in a very short period of time.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

No, that is a point you are trying to make.
The point I made is directed soley at the topic. Your posts have been directed soley at arguing with my posts.

What does purple bunnies and everything else you mentioned have to do with the current addition of GDs and Dread Mares? Nothing.
I have already explained what several times, if you do not understand it that is your problem.

"No, you were being a troll (& still are)." That is name calling too. Are you daft?
As you haven't understood the numerous times I've explained how my post related to the topic I felt it was unlikely you would understand anything that wasn't on your level and wouldn't ya know it! Soon as I post some name calling you understood it! lol.

Oh... "& still are".

G

galefan2004

They already pay enough if they dont have Vet. Vet adds stable space.

IF on the other hand one wants to penalize all the PvM players to facilitate PvP players that do not have the real life skill sets to deal with a tamer with a Greater Dragon, then we are not going to be on the same page.
In PvP they pay nothing. In PvM they have vet or they have given up their ability to solo in almost all cases. The issue is that you shouldn't be able to just take vet off of or your template in PvP to pimp your template and end up having 220 points invested to control a powerful pet. I don't think the developers ever really considered people playing tamers without veterinary because it was very very uncommon before greater dragons came around (few tamers even pvped for the most part).

G

galefan2004

You are calling UO "life"? This is a game. Games are supposed to be balanced. Lately it seems the only ones having "birthdays" are tamers.
You seem more obsessed with it being life than I am. I mean, at the end of the day, I could care less if they buffed a certain class or not. I do care about nerfs because nerfs IMO are just the developers saying they messed something up way to badly in the first place.

I never called UO life. You assumed that I did. Ok, UO isn't fair either. Nothing is ever completely fair.

G

galefan2004

The only things new for tamers that actually increased power was Bonding (LBR?),
P16. That same publish changed many many things including introducing powerscrolls.

Cu, Hiryu, greater dragons, rune beetles, and reptalons. (the dread horse I guess, but it is just a dragon that looks like a horse and has no fire breath)
Don't underestimate the fact that the dread warhorse is ridable. Also, it has pretty nice resists, and it actually does much more damage than a dragon even without fire breath.

G

galefan2004

Funny but the steps I remember were you running away most of the time because the tamer was smart enough to cast mass dispell. I didn't think you even still played the game, but when you did it was fun killing you more than you killed me (did I mention my PvP suit has the worst resists imaginable).

G

galefan2004

I think he forgot to mention that he was fighting the 3 stooges and shem.

A PERFECT greater dragon will not kill 3 or 4 good players without assistance from the dragon's owner.

He must be fighting some real yahoos :)
In my experience in UO, most of the players left in Felucca in this game are real yahoos.

G

galefan2004

Tamers for the 9 years I have played, have ALWAYS, been the top of the chain in PvM. This is nothing new! To say "no they have not" simply tells me people do not know what they are talking about.
Sorry, but it is you that has no clue what you are talking about. Tamers have NEVER been the top. Before AoS, the top was bards. Bards raked in about 2x what a tamer raked in an hour. After AoS the chivalry/archers pretty much reigned supreme. After ML it became land of the bushido dexxer and later the sampire. Tamers were never as far up as people like to make them out to be. They are strong, but they are not on top.

G

galefan2004

Your missing the point, we don't ALL wan't to be tamers but they are not adding content evenly.
So in short, your complaint has nothing to do with tamers and everything to do with the fact that EA hasn't recently added any overpowered pixelated crack equipment lately?

Not quite no, you see tamed ones can be trained up, or didn't you know? They also have a player healing them. I mean this has been the case for a long time, yet seems news to you?
You tame back skills not stats. Tamed greaters do not have the same stats as wild greaters even if they are fully trained.

I hate tamers because the majority of content added to this game is pets. I hate the pets because their unbalanced.
10 pets in 10 years. Yeah it seems like only pets get added. I mean, lets take away all the warrior skills (bushido, chivarly) because those aren't pets. Lets take away necromancy because it wasn't a pet. Lets take away all of the ML, Ilshenar, 10th Anniversary, and Doom artifacts because they were not pets. Lets take away the community rewards because they were not pets. Half the freaking templates and half the freaking gear out there is overpowered, and they have added 10 pets in 10 years while adding 100 items in a single publish at times. So, yeah I can see how the majority of content is pets.

Has what to do with this thread? The topic (as you still don't seem to have figured it out) is the lack of other content for other classes because their always adding pets.
Stop making stuff up. UO doesn't have classes, and they have added 1000s of new things since UO began and only 10 of them were pets.

H

Hunters Moon

I am not certain there is a nerf bat that big.
I don't think the tamers template should be nerfed...it should be nuked. Tamers should be religated to "Horse breeders"...now thats balance.

H

Hunters Moon

*tags to last*

If the Greater Dragon was to be morphed into a weapon here would be the mods imo.

"Dragons Talon"​
Crafted by Lord Overpowered​
Exceptional​
Blessed​
Hit Flamestrike 100%​
Hit Greater Poison 100%​
Hit Energy Bolt 100%​
Hit Fireball 100%​
Damage Increase 200%​
Weapon Damage 46-54​
Weapon Speed 2.25​
Physical Damage 75%​
Fire Damage 25%​

T

timbeOFbaja

The argument against tamers shouldn't be hard for you guys to get through your heads. As tamer pets continue to get more and more powerful, so do the mobs in uber enounters. It's just going to keep increasing the disparity.

H

Hunters Moon

The argument against tamers shouldn't be hard for you guys to get through your heads. As tamer pets continue to get more and more powerful, so do the mobs in uber enounters. It's just going to keep increasing the disparity.
Exactly. It will end up where my warrior with 130 hps will one-hit die to higher end mobs because they had to tune them up because of overpowered pets.