• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Summoning Pet Balls, Animal Form, and Pets

T

Tark_Smash

I think the timer should be at least a minute or two. This would actually give you a chance to kill the pet if the tamer runs off, anything less would just let them pull the pet away and attack again. If a tamer wants to fight, then they should stay and fight. Not say all kill and then stealth away and hope for a kill.
Make it a player timer, so no matter the amount of pet balls they have they still have to wait the timer.

G

Hi Leurocian!

Thanks for taking the time to gather and relay our information about this subject to the rest of the UO Team. It's nice to know that our ideas are being heard, and also considered when making game changes. I think we all appreciate that, regardless of which "side" of the issue we happen to agree with. <3

I like the idea of a reasonable Reuse Timer, and also the Words of Power to reveal those that are hidden/invised. You should be visible when your pet is summoned so that he/she has line of sight with their owner upon summoning.

As far as the Animal Form and Pet Balls...I'd *prefer* if the act of petballing would bring the player out of Animal Form, for a similar reason. I would not expect my loyal, intelligent companions to take orders from a dog!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think the timer should be at least a minute or two. This would actually give you a chance to kill the pet if the tamer runs off, anything less would just let them pull the pet away and attack again. If a tamer wants to fight, then they should stay and fight. Not say all kill and then stealth away and hope for a kill.
Make it a player timer, so no matter the amount of pet balls they have they still have to wait the timer.

[/ QUOTE ]

GOOD POINT.
The pet-ball isnt a melee weapon.
Perhaps add a timer to a pet that is repeatedly called back through it to attack again.

Pet-balling (which somehow sounds obscene) needs to be seen only as a friendly tool not an offenive skill.

Z

Zan186

Using a pet ball should be like casting an Earthquake Spell. You should be able to be interupted and there should be a casting delay.
This would pretty much solve all the problems.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

Changing the summoning ball is going to make trammies that don't pvp suffer, and all the pvp tamers all they have to do is log off log back in to bring their pets back to them.

[/ QUOTE ]
ummm, what? So... you are saying it won't affect pvp because pvpers can just relog for pets but it will affect pvm? Well, why dont you take your own advice and relog for your pets???
<blockquote><hr>

Sometimes I have to summon my pet away from mass spawn a few times because it seems to have a mind of its own, and wont listen,

[/ QUOTE ]
And why would you need to petball multiple times to pull your pet from being swamped??? Want a hint? -&gt; Petball it once to get it away from the spawn... no need to petball it multiple times in a row... lol.
If you find your pet getting swamped more than once or twice a minute well, heck, you have problems...

<blockquote><hr>

Animal form should not be considered to have control slots put on them, because a tamer decided to use ninjustu on their template. Spell weaver, necro, and mage tamers are also able to change forms, but nothing is said about these skills taking up control slots.

[/ QUOTE ]ummm, please explain to me how a mage tamer can go into form that runs as fast as a mount? You seriously don't seem to understand the problem at all...

<blockquote><hr>

The greater dragons need to be tweaked a tamer should be able to solo them, and not rely on others to help them. I have no problem with others helping me kill stuff, but being a tamer I would at least like to be able to solo a dragon.

[/ QUOTE ]ok, off topic, but i can't resist: You can't kill a greater dragon as a tamer solo? Wow... no wonder you need to spam your petballs so much in pvm...

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

Petballs should be usable, but only rarely, and not as a pvp tactic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then what purpose do petballs serve? Its cheaper to just relog for pets if you are PvMing.
Petballs serve one single purpose for me: instant pet summoning. I would hate to see that changed. I have no problem if there is a timer between summons, I have no problem if there are restrictions on in what form you can summon, but I have a major problem if it is no longer feasible to even use.

There is absolutely no reason for me to take pet balls when i pvm. Can't use them in 90% of the good pvm areas to start with... and it is just as easy to relog to get pets, plus, if I am not in an ugrent pvp situation there is no 'rush' to get pets.

I

imported_archite666

Strangelove although I generally with agree you I think you need to maybe look at the big picture and I think I agree that petballs should not be a pvp tool at all, yeah you might use them and like them but thats doest mean they are intended for that, I think some are arguing for that they were " intended" to be which with the new log out system they are sort of redundant. I mean if something is being used to an advantage other than what it was intended for , that usually means it needs to be fixed. Just something to think about

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Then what purpose do petballs serve? Its cheaper to just relog for pets if you are PvMing.
Petballs serve one single purpose for me: instant pet summoning. I would hate to see that changed. I have no problem if there is a timer between summons, I have no problem if there are restrictions on in what form you can summon, but I have a major problem if it is no longer feasible to even use.

There is absolutely no reason for me to take pet balls when i pvm. Can't use them in 90% of the good pvm areas to start with... and it is just as easy to relog to get pets, plus, if I am not in an ugrent pvp situation there is no 'rush' to get pets.

[/ QUOTE ]Well, exactly. Pet balls were introduced to reduce the GM calls because of stuck pets. They were absolutely nothing to do with increasing the speed of a pet in PvP, which is what they are now mostly used for.

A 10 minute timer would mostly eliminate their use as a PvP prop whilst making zero difference to PvM.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

A timer would depend on wether the timer was before or after the pet was summoned as if it is after they still get a free hit. Not particularly a fan of timers either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read a post where a casting timer equivalent to 7th or 8th circle may be one possibility, and then perhaps a reuse timer after the pet is summoned. That may address the free hit you bring up.

If we did decide to go this after, how long do you think the reuse timer should be?

[/ QUOTE ] Reuse timer should not be less than 3 minutes imo.

I

imported_Wing Chun

Have animal form take 1 control slot. this would prevent people from using the heavy duty dragons in PvP and be able to animal form.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Well, exactly. Pet balls were introduced to reduce the GM calls because of stuck pets. They were absolutely nothing to do with increasing the speed of a pet in PvP, which is what they are now mostly used for.

A 10 minute timer would mostly eliminate their use as a PvP prop whilst making zero difference to PvM.

[/ QUOTE ]

CHEERS to that.

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play siege and I love the idea of a timer and not being able to use them in animal form...

can you also make animal form a pet slot like an etheral horse is? so tamers cannot run around with 2 pets mounted like the they are now.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

Strangelove although I generally with agree you I think you need to maybe look at the big picture and I think I agree that petballs should not be a pvp tool at all, yeah you might use them and like them but thats doest mean they are intended for that, I think some are arguing for that they were " intended" to be which with the new log out system they are sort of redundant. I mean if something is being used to an advantage other than what it was intended for , that usually means it needs to be fixed. Just something to think about

[/ QUOTE ]
:-(
But the mistake was made and shouldn't be completely reversed. Destroy petballs as a pvp tool and I stop being stealth tamer. There will be no purpose to having stealth anymore if I have my pets following me everywhere.

Review my first two posts in the thread and you will see that I think petballs should indeed be nerfed, but I still think they should remain a viable pvp tool.

I think petballs should still be usable for an 'out of nowwhere' ambush, but once the ambush is sprung, thats it. A cooldown timer would prevent me from summoning over and over, and not being in animal form would stop me from summoning on top of victim over and over. But I would still get my initial chomp chomp with my pets... Take that away and well... I got nothing left.

I am all for nerfing, but I am not for destroying.
As I said, if petballs are destroyed as a pvp tool I'm dropping stealth tamer and I bet 70% of siege stealth tamers will too. I'd rather just see us weakened a bit, to be on even ground.

I

imported_Fran Fury

Thanks for looking into this and I hope that you will look at all sides and all styles of play before making any decisions on this.

Now...my opinions

A timer- good idea Somewhere between 30 sec and 2 min would be fine. Same timer as ethy summoning is good too.(10-20 min is well..silly)
Also timer should be on the player not on the ball itself.

Power words -I don't really think this is needed if a timer is in place. Stealth/Hiding are skills and should not be nerfed in this.

Using while in Animal form- Only if you make it where you can't be mounted at all! Just because someone chooses to raise the skill of ninjitsu and use that in their template does not mean they should be punished for it. I can see this being over nerfed very easily. Animal form has it's own disadvantages.

I know there was more but can't think of it all at the moment. Just again a plea to not over nerf anything and to also consider the effects for all play styles and templates.

Oh and where is our love for the seas?

G

<blockquote><hr>

As I said, if petballs are destroyed as a pvp tool I'm dropping stealth tamer and I bet 70% of siege stealth tamers will too

[/ QUOTE ] I think that the vast majority of PvPers would see zero problem with that.

The last PvP publish did a great job of levelling out most of the gimpest templates. This slipped through the net.

I

imported_Krystal

I believe pet balls should be on a timer like a gate spell.
If ur criminal you should not be able to use a pet ball at all and u should not be able to log out ur pet till the criminal timer is up. summoning a pet should take as long as casting a gate spell or as long as getting on a ethy mount. This give the person that dont want to pvm a fair advantage to get away. cause we all know pvm shouldn't be allowed in pvp!:/

(SP)

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

As I said, if petballs are destroyed as a pvp tool I'm dropping stealth tamer and I bet 70% of siege stealth tamers will too

[/ QUOTE ] I think that the vast majority of PvPers would see zero problem with that.

The last PvP publish did a great job of levelling out most of the gimpest templates. This slipped through the net.

[/ QUOTE ]
But a vast majority have problems against fighting stealth tamers because they are gimp no skill templates that are near impossible to kill and easy to get killed by. My nerf would turn stealth tamers into moderate no skill template that are near impossible to kill and less difficult to escape from.
Stealth tamers would still be a viable pvp template but not near as godlike as they are now. I know for sure I'll have a lot less problem fighting them on my melee char with my proposed changes...

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think petballs should still be usable for an 'out of nowwhere' ambush, but once the ambush is sprung, thats it. A cooldown timer would prevent me from summoning over and over, and not being in animal form would stop me from summoning on top of victim over and over. But I would still get my initial chomp chomp with my pets... Take that away and well... I got nothing left.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think it's a teensy itty bit unfair that you should be able to drop two fully trained pets on someone in, for example, a tight dungeon passage? Even in the open that can be game over for a dismounted victim for example.

We shouldn't maintain such a gimp tool simply because you aren't able to score a kill. Now you have 2 options - adapt and learn more tactics or quit. I don't mean to be harsh, but PvP is about more than petball + all kill

Wenchy

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

rtlfc

I think the most pertinent soloution still remains that pet balls don't work in animal form.

That stops the abuse and has no affect on pvm nor stealthers who can change out of form while hidden to summon pets. No timers would be needed (which just causes a load of debate over duration).

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh mans! not krystal!! :p

Like it has been stated before make petballs have a timer. And also make people who are in animal form unable to use that item.

That will not effect pvm at all, and I think its really nice to see you guys starting to work on the server....

Also can you make it so if you are criminal you cannot stable your pets with insta log, I also think it wouldnt have any effect on pvm in trammel seeing as you cant attack anyone... It would be a simple fix for a very overpowered tool, which was never intended to be used and abused the way it is.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

You don't think it's a teensy itty bit unfair that you should be able to drop two fully trained pets on someone in, for example, a tight dungeon passage? Even in the open that can be game over for a dismounted victim for example.

[/ QUOTE ]No. I dont think its unfair. Because I can pop out of stealth and dismount someone while my buddy pops out and nervestrikes them while my other buddy pops out and finishes them off. Its the same effect as you talk about, except much more deadly.
Read my first two posts in the thread. It is much easier to get away from an onfoot tamer not using petballs after the initial attack than people seem to think. just run away. not my fault if you cant navigate dungeon passages. Oh wait- you can't even use petballs in half the dungeons...

G

If you are going to manipulate the way the summon ball works, perhaps deep in the coding some changes to the pet response is in order.
While it's all well and good to make a timer for the PvP aspect dare say it, abuse, of the pet summon balls, for PvM I quite often use it to get my pet out of a bad situation when said pet is getting beat to hell and the "All follow me" command works for a second, that is, until the pet takes another hit/damage and then back into the fray it goes with no regard for it's own life. What a pain in the arse that is!
Are we back into the development cycle of taming where we give tamers a bit to chew on while we cut off their feet? Seems it is always so with taming. Look here we give you something shiny... quick let's cut their throats whilst they play with the shiny thing!

Better to make animal forms take up a control slot isn't it?

I

imported_lady michelle

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Changing the summoning ball is going to make trammies that don't pvp suffer, and all the pvp tamers all they have to do is log off log back in to bring their pets back to them.

[/ QUOTE ]
ummm, what? So... you are saying it won't affect pvp because pvpers can just relog for pets but it will affect pvm? Well, why dont you take your own advice and relog for your pets???
<blockquote><hr>

Sometimes I have to summon my pet away from mass spawn a few times because it seems to have a mind of its own, and wont listen,

[/ QUOTE ]
And why would you need to petball multiple times to pull your pet from being swamped??? Want a hint? -&gt; Petball it once to get it away from the spawn... no need to petball it multiple times in a row... lol.
If you find your pet getting swamped more than once or twice a minute well, heck, you have problems...

<blockquote><hr>

Animal form should not be considered to have control slots put on them, because a tamer decided to use ninjustu on their template. Spell weaver, necro, and mage tamers are also able to change forms, but nothing is said about these skills taking up control slots.

[/ QUOTE ]ummm, please explain to me how a mage tamer can go into form that runs as fast as a mount? You seriously don't seem to understand the problem at all...

<blockquote><hr>

The greater dragons need to be tweaked a tamer should be able to solo them, and not rely on others to help them. I have no problem with others helping me kill stuff, but being a tamer I would at least like to be able to solo a dragon.

[/ QUOTE ]ok, off topic, but i can't resist: You can't kill a greater dragon as a tamer solo? Wow... no wonder you need to spam your petballs so much in pvm...

[/ QUOTE ]Any kind of form changing should take up control slots even if only ninjutsi animal form only makes you run faster.
Its not my fault my pet keeps going back when I say all follow me. I should only have to say it once not have to spam it over and over or even use my pet ball my taming and lore is high enough. I went for 2 years where my pets would not guard me, and had to have a GM fix it. but see I know how to adjust.

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because it's not just the new dragon that it works with. You can do the same thing with Cu's, if you then make animal form 2 slots they'll be doing it with beetles and so on and so on.

If pet balls didn't work in animal form they wouldn't be able to do it with any pet and it'd have no effect on pvm.

G

I think it's a crazy idea, you going to put a timer on an archers bow or maybe on the mages spell book... can only use it once every 30 seconds. This is just the most silly thing i've heard.
For one, any type of char can be used for pvp, you learn to adapt. There is always a way around the next "gimpest" templet. Get hit to much, you use DCI, parry, resist. Don't like tamers then get peace, hiding or stay in tram.
Don't matter what EA does to change things, some people will never be happy. Those are the people that need to just go back to tram and enjoy the simple life!

I say no timer on my balls!!!!

I

imported_lady michelle

<blockquote><hr>

If you are going to manipulate the way the summon ball works, perhaps deep in the coding some changes to the pet response is in order.
While it's all well and good to make a timer for the PvP aspect dare say it, abuse, of the pet summon balls, for PvM I quite often use it to get my pet out of a bad situation when said pet is getting beat to hell and the "All follow me" command works for a second, that is, until the pet takes another hit/damage and then back into the fray it goes with no regard for it's own life. What a pain in the arse that is!
Are we back into the development cycle of taming where we give tamers a bit to chew on while we cut off their feet? Seems it is always so with taming. Look here we give you something shiny... quick let's cut their throats whilst they play with the shiny thing!

[/ QUOTE ]Thank you now I see im not the only one who does this

I

imported_Krystal

"ummm, what? So... you are saying it won't affect pvp because pvpers can just relog for pets but it will affect pvm? Well, why dont you take your own advice and relog for your pets???"

that's why i mentioned the logging of pets. if u fix pet balls the logging of pets has to be fixed to. this why i believe tamers and pets should be on a criminal timer. u cant summon or log ur pets for 2 min.
BUT if the tamer is the non aggressor, then no penalties should happen to the tamer. no timers. this way people that just use tamers to farm and not pvp dont get screwed and have a way to defend themselves. (some people play to just farm and do quest and not to pvp)
im just totally against tamers in pvp. its an unfair advantage. people train thier pets to max skill, the pets never die cause they insta logging them or summoning them before the can die. half the time a tamer dont know im dead cause im 6 screens away with flame strikes still going off on me:/
I really think a criminal timer would solve a lot with also animal form taking a slot

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

If the ball wasn't useable in animal form, that would solve the pvp abuse. Without nerfing people who enjoy using ninja on their pvm tamers for it's other uses (specifically me!).

That wouldn't require any timer and thus leave it unchanged for flutter &amp; michelle etc. (&amp; the others who dont want timers.)

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

im just totally against tamers in pvp. its an unfair advantage. people train thier pets to max skill, the pets never die cause they insta logging them or summoning them before the can die. half the time a tamer dont know im dead cause im 6 screens away with flame strikes still going off on me:/

[/ QUOTE ]
But krystal, you are against pets in pvp because they are so gimp, so if they are nerfed then why would you still be against them in pvp? Suppose you could one hit kill and player pet, would you be against it in pvp? No, you wouldn't.

So please consider that after a nerf, tamers will not be as deadly/difficult to fight, and then you may not be so against them in pvp. And as such there will be no reason to completely destroy their ability to pvp, just bring them down to equal levels. If they are not as deadly as they are now I dont think you will be so 'against them'.

I enjoy playing stealth tamer. I dont want the template to become useless. But I do think it is overpowered. So I think it should be gently nerfed to bring them down a notch, but there is no reason to beat the template into submission with the nerfbat, but hit it a bit and get it in line with other templates.

G

<blockquote><hr>

No. I dont think its unfair. Because I can pop out of stealth and dismount someone while my buddy pops out and nervestrikes them while my other buddy pops out and finishes them off. Its the same effect as you talk about, except much more deadly.

Read my first two posts in the thread. It is much easier to get away from an onfoot tamer not using petballs after the initial attack than people seem to think. just run away. not my fault if you cant navigate dungeon passages. Oh wait- you can't even use petballs in half the dungeons...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll be tactful. I have a stealth tamer. She uses neither pet balls or buddies when she attacks someone. I'm sorry that you rely on those things, but the pet balls shouldn't be kept solely because you technique depends on them. It falls to you to learn to PvP without using pet balls excessively.

Wenchy

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

No. I dont think its unfair. Because I can pop out of stealth and dismount someone while my buddy pops out and nervestrikes them while my other buddy pops out and finishes them off. Its the same effect as you talk about, except much more deadly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll be tactful. I have a stealth tamer. She uses neither pet balls or buddies when she attacks someone. I'm sorry that you rely on those things, but the pet balls shouldn't be kept solely because you technique depends on them. It falls to you to learn to PvP without using pet balls excessively.

Wenchy

[/ QUOTE ]
I play siege.

I

imported_Krystal

I really dont think my idea is making tamers useless. when i agress on someone im put on a timer, why shouldnt pets be too? ;/

G

Ok, I realise Siege is vastly different to production shards, but surely you can fight beyond a pet ball? Magery? Weapon skill? How do you cope inside a dungeon if you can't pet ball?

See I was taught to PvP long before pet balls, so I just don't think to pick them up. I don't get easy kills by any means, but that's not what I PvP for. If you rely on a single item that much, you're terribly vulnerable to fixes like this. So PvP tamers have to think up new tactics and take a certain amount of nerfing on the chin.

Wenchy

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

Ok, I realise Siege is vastly different to production shards, but surely you can fight beyond a pet ball?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm sure I could... but why when I have pets? <blockquote><hr>

Magery?

[/ QUOTE ]too busy in animal form. But note, I still support changing petballs to only usable out of animal form. <blockquote><hr>

Weapon skill?

[/ QUOTE ] not enough skill points to put weapon+tactics on.
<blockquote><hr>

How do you cope inside a dungeon if you can't pet ball?

[/ QUOTE ]on siege there is no pvp in dungeons except spawn raids. If im raiding, I play fast attack dexxer, if getting raided, well, my pets are with me as is, I dont need petballs to summon em and I am stationary so i dont need to summon em to move fast.

<blockquote><hr>

So PvP tamers have to think up new tactics and take a certain amount of nerfing on the chin.

[/ QUOTE ]I will say this once again, I am all for petball nerfs. But nerfing does not always mean 'absotlute removal of use in pvp', it could be toning them down.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I am going to go a little deeper in my reasoning (now that i have secured the first post spot) :)

My biggest problems with this topic involve getting insta killed by pets. The process almost ALWAYS involves the following:
1) A stealth archer dismounts me with a heavy xbow.
2) A stealth tamer summons pets, and all kills me.
3) I start running for dear life on foot, waiting for my no-mount timer to expire.
4) The tamer keeps pace with me in speed animal form, summoning pets one step ahead of me, effectively letting them bite me each time they are summoned.
5) I die.
(I am very familiar with this process, as I also employ it as the stealth tamer frequently).

[/ QUOTE ]
I could not have said it better myself.

G

I realise you support certain balances, I'm just not sure what you're suggesting is enough. Or that your template absolutely has to depend on pet balls. While I use my pets, I'll fire spells off at the same time. I don't have all the skills required for a pure PvP mage, and 360 skill points in taming doesn't help, but the pets for me aren't my sole damage.

The impression I've gotten recently is that there are serious problems with stealth tamers on Siege, more so than on production shards. But I don't know if Leurocian created this thread purely to discuss production shards, or work out a blanket fix including Siege.

Wenchy

G

Before you look at pet balls, why don't you look at why they used.

Pets are slow. If I need to go from point A to point B, its takes 3x the amount of time if I wait for the pet to casually stroll behind me. It saves alot more time to tell the pet to stay and run there myself and ball in to me.

Pets get stuck on every twig, tree, house it possibly can get stuck on. They have 0 ability to pathfind. If I'm chasing someone down I tell my pet to follow me, it should be there with me. This is why pet balls are so called being abused in pvp. Because your pet is 10 screen away stuck in a tree.

Autodefense. Pet will be targeted by some random mob 2 screens away and will just warp off screen to whatever is targeting it. All stop needs to actually work. Lets have a 2 minute timer after a successful all stop command where your pet doesn't kill anything unless specifically commanded to.

You fix those things, pet balls won't be needed. And while you're looking at taming stop flagging me criminal for healing my own pet.

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not at all. Not even close. Gonna say it again...

Running while shifted into a ninja form does not, repeat: DOES NOT, make the tamed pets move toward their target or follow the tamer any faster...

PET BALLS DO IT!

It's real simple. The tamer "all kills" a target, then runs alongside the now fleeing target while repeatedly hitting his pet ball macro. Result: Dead Target.

If you do the same thing without a pet ball, it will result in a vulnerable tamer being alone on the field with his now enraged target and the pet(s) now several screens behind or stuck on a house or some other obstacle.

If animal form is made to take a control slot and pet balls are left alone, all that will happen is "PvP" tamers will go back to doing the same crap, but they will be using a rune beetle.

Are you understanding the situation now?

G

Stopping use of pet balls in Animal Form won't do much of anything. It only takes a second to get out of Animal Form and summon. The issue with Animal Form is you can run at mounted speed with a Greater Dragon. Changing pet balls won't prevent that.

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

Before you look at pet balls, why don't you look at why they used.

Pets are slow. If I need to go from point A to point B, its takes 3x the amount of time if I wait for the pet to casually stroll behind me. It saves alot more time to tell the pet to stay and run there myself and ball in to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can log out/in to do the same thing.

<blockquote><hr>

Pets get stuck on every twig, tree, house it possibly can get stuck on. They have 0 ability to pathfind. If I'm chasing someone down I tell my pet to follow me, it should be there with me. This is why pet balls are so called being abused in pvp. Because your pet is 10 screen away stuck in a tree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Pets actually pathfind remarkably well. Try using "All Come" instead of "All Follow Me" sometime. You'll be surprised.

<blockquote><hr>

Autodefense. Pet will be targeted by some random mob 2 screens away and will just warp off screen to whatever is targeting it. All stop needs to actually work. Lets have a 2 minute timer after a successful all stop command where your pet doesn't kill anything unless specifically commanded to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spam the commands while leading the pet away. They sometimes listen and back off. Cast invis on the pet and flag on the monster yourself, then run. If all else fails, run to a spot that is reasonably safe for the few seconds it takes to log out/in, and then do so.

<blockquote><hr>

You fix those things, pet balls won't be needed. And while you're looking at taming stop flagging me criminal for healing my own pet.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't looking at taming. Jeremy has said that any balance issue that exist with tamers wont be looked at until the next PvP focus group.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

Stopping use of pet balls in Animal Form won't do much of anything. It only takes a second to get out of Animal Form and summon. The issue with Animal Form is you can run at mounted speed with a Greater Dragon. Changing pet balls won't prevent that.

[/ QUOTE ]
are you kidding? you can't run at mounted speed with a greater dragon, it will slowly meander after you. Right now all u need to do is summon it with petball, but if you cant summon while in form, you cant do that, so you need to leave form, summon it, then go back into form, that short amount of time is enough to let the victim gain distance on you.

G

Ok here are my 3 ideas that i think should be the MAIN fixes for petballs

1. Make them have a casting period, just like summoning an ethy or casting any spell. If you get hit then you fizzle it and have to attempt again.

At least this way, a tamer CANT instantly summon his pets next to him over and over while he is running away from you or chasing you.

2. Make pets go to stable after a tamer logs out. Its unfair to constantly try to kill pets and the tamer just walks off screen and logs out to save his pets

3. Make it so IF PETS damage a person then the tamer gets revealed. I mean if a necro cast strangle on someone, and they take damage then the necro is revealed everytime from being hidden. A tamer though can put his pets on you, instantly smoke bomb and then NEVER get revealed until you're dead. Its just NOT how PVP works when one person is being attacked and the other person is perfectly hidden and safe. Its NOT risk versus reward that way.

Ok thansk for listening hope i made my points.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

2. Make pets go to stable after a tamer logs out. Its unfair to constantly try to kill pets and the tamer just walks off screen and logs out to save his pets

[/ QUOTE ]That screws pvm over. If you get disconnected doing peerless you are screwed.
No.

G

<blockquote><hr>

are you kidding? you can't run at mounted speed with a greater dragon, it will slowly meander after you.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you have a Greater Dragon you are not supposed to be able to move at mounted speed at all. Animal Form lets you get around that. While preventing summoning in Animal Form will fix one issue, it won't fix people who run around with a Greater Dragon, dropping out of Animal Form and summoning.

If Animal Form took 1 follower slot, it would prevent both issues.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

are you kidding? you can't run at mounted speed with a greater dragon, it will slowly meander after you.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you have a Greater Dragon you are not supposed to be able to move at mounted speed at all. Animal Form lets you get around that. While preventing summoning while in Animal Form will fix one issue, it won't fix people who run around with a Greater Dragon, dropping out of Animal Form and summoning.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it wouldnt. I use a beetle.

I am just curious... do you have a stealth tamer? I mean no offense but you don't seem to understand the process of going into and out of form summoning pets. If you had to leave form to summon a pet it would slow you down, preventing you from pacing a victem and summoning on top of them. Also, if there is a cooldown timer on balls, then you cant summon over and over on top of them.

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Pasting from earlier...

No. Not at all. Not even close. Gonna say it again...

Running while shifted into a ninja form does not, repeat: DOES NOT, make the tamed pets move toward their target or follow the tamer any faster...

PET BALLS DO IT!

It's real simple. The tamer "all kills" a target, then runs alongside the now fleeing target while repeatedly hitting his pet ball macro. Result: Dead Target.

If you do the same thing without a pet ball, it will result in a vulnerable tamer being alone on the field with his now enraged target and the pet(s) now several screens behind or stuck on a house or some other obstacle.

If animal form is made to take a control slot and pet balls are left alone, all that will happen is "PvP" tamers will go back to doing the same crap, but they will be using a rune beetle.

Are you understanding the situation now?

What the hell is wrong with UHall? Everyone seems to read only the original post, add their two cents, and then ignore any post that isn't a DIRECT reply to theirs.
No matter. I'm adamant about getting pet balls fixed and fixed properly, so I will continue to repost/paste this explanation of the problem until the entirety of UHall understands the situation.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]That screws pvm over. If you get disconnected doing peerless you are screwed.
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are talking about pet balls here right? can't they be used to summon into peerless?

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are talking about pet balls here right? can't they be used to summon into peerless?

[/ QUOTE ]
So now petballs are mandatory to carry to pvm? and, I dont think you can petball in peerless, but i may be wrong. so lets say you are doing a spawn, or hunting in ilsh, or doom... cant petball there.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

Stealth tamer? I haven't seen one on Atlantic in years. I would find it very funny if someone stealthed up to me and summoned a Greater Dragon.

[/ QUOTE ]
well, its a pity atlantic is not the only shard huh?