• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sneak Peek

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
So I am confused? Are people angry they are keeping us upto date or happy? What do people want?

I am not aiming this at anyone just genuinly curious!

The only thing about Mesanna's post I didn't like which I have expressed to her and Jeff is that it was only posted on stratics and not on the herald. Jeff told me it was supposed to be posted on the herald.

Apart from that I am happy that they are taking the time to keep us updated.

What does everyone else think?

I don't know.
I think it is people are upset that they are messing with factions in a way that was not asked for. Don't get me wrong, people have been asking for faction adjustments, but this is an adjustment that seems to be counter-intuitive to what has been suggested and asked for.. That being said, I think anyone that reads anything to do with factions will easily see it's a massive conglomeration of people each hope/wanting something different, and then people shooting down other ideas. I for one just think people should do as mesenna asked and test it out on TC1 if factions is something that intrigues people.

*edited for tastiness* Also, adding cinnamon rolls to the crafting gump in cooking could bring happiness to certain individuals. Meow.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We will be glad that we have the asked for more communication
We will speculate constructively on possible interpretations of the information we have been given
We will not post cynical and unhelpful diatribes aimed at causing the developers to think 'why the heck did we bother?' and retreat into communicating less.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
We will not post anything negative that may discourage Devs from posting on Stratics.
We will post ideas and constructive criticism, among an already existing unused plethora of such.
We will not act like the game we love is ever neglected, but exalt the current game development, no matter what is or isn't done. :rolleyes:

Ok, joke's over. Bring back the real UO community forum. :grouphug:

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
Were you around when the "real" UO community forum was canceled? Do you remember why it was canceled?
No. This is the community forum I was referring to. But do tell. Too much negativity about the game development brought it down?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The more ideas we throw around and refine the more chance there is that we might, between us, come up with one that is workable. Try it, the current, constructive, thread is on the faction forum.
Cynical attacks on the developers mocking any attempt at communicating with us they might make achieve absolutely nothing positive and potentially quite a lot that's harmful and negative.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
UO Stratics forum is the UO community forum, in my opinion. In other words, it's the primary forum for the UO community. But trying to, for example, disallow negativity about development IMO makes it something it's not and shouldn't be. It ceases to be a forum for the UO community, but instead a forum for only one side of the community. So my plea is to "Bring back the real UO community forum" where all perspectives are encouraged, not just pro-current development

Different philosophical approach I guess. I should just go to bed rather than get on everyone's bad side

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who's mocking attempts at communication...and since when is discussing why an idea is bad "attacking" the developers??! I'm sorry but they're not 4 years old and this isn't T-Ball where everyone has to get a trophy to not feel left out, they have bad ideas too, just like the rest of us, not all feedback needs to be praise, nothing ever improves if you don't let them see input from those of us who actually use the system they're talking about modifying. They're paid professionals, if they stopped doing their job because someone didn't like one of the things they did in a post on an unofficial fansite, they would not be in the position they're in today. There's many sides and many discussions on how broken factions/artys/points is right now and has been for years but about one issue we can almost all agree on when seeing a post like this is that it's another "bandaid" fix that will only break things even more in the long run, if we don't say that now they'll waste tons of time on yet another change to factions that fixes nothing.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The overly negative and totally unhelpful posts were removed. I should probably have prefixed my previous post by stating that.

We don't know that this is a 'band aid' fix, because we don't know what the whole fix is. That's one reason I started the discussion I have in the faction forum.

Saying that faction arties will be bought with silver is, or could be, only half the story.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I am confused? Are people angry they are keeping us upto date or happy? What do people want?

I am not aiming this at anyone just genuinly curious!

The only thing about Mesanna's post I didn't like which I have expressed to her and Jeff is that it was only posted on stratics and not on the herald. Jeff told me it was supposed to be posted on the herald.

Apart from that I am happy that they are taking the time to keep us updated.

What does everyone else think?
We were given a few minute heads up this Sneak Peek was going up. The reason is it not up on the Herald is because is it not an official post yet. The reason it is titled Sneak Peek is just that, to give a heads up on what to look for in the coming weeks I would imagine because players have been complaining about not getting enough communication. I almost wish the faction silver had been left out so this thread could be kept on track but then that's not being entirely fair is it?

Mesanna I'm sure knows the hot topic factions is and was compelled to share it anyways but there are other things included in the sneak peek as well and all of it can be discussed more before TC1 and once testing is ironed out an official Herald post would be up as always.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
I'm an avid reader of these forums. Perhaps by "communication," you mean edicts?

I work in a customer service position myself. You are probably experienced in customer service as well, like many readers here. I listen to many complaints. Yes, I get tired of them. But guess what? It's my job. Just letting a customer vent with me, no matter how unconstructive, is doing a service to them and to the company I work for.

Dev's don't pay attention here because we're nice to them. They pay attention here because this is the forum of their customers. And rightfully so. We are their lifeblood, afterall. Without us paying the required monthly payments in order to play UO, they get either laid off or recirculated in the EA corporate structure. If we perceive their work as less than quality, we will sound off about it.

I don't dispute that posting constructive ideas here is a noteworthy activity. I've done it myself on more than one occasion. But on the flip side, "cynical attacks" and "mocking" aren't any more harmful than praise for a mediocre-at-best product or "communication".

The more ideas we throw around and refine the more chance there is that we might, between us, come up with one that is workable. Try it, the current, constructive, thread is on the faction forum.
Cynical attacks on the developers mocking any attempt at communicating with us they might make achieve absolutely nothing positive and potentially quite a lot that's harmful and negative.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this may be off topic in part.. but the whole thread has virtually become derailed. Any chance of putting it back on track so we can talk about the sneek peek and not have complaints/moans and other negative non-constructive comments?

For example, does anyone have any idea what the new ways of gaining loyalty points will be? Any suggestions? What about the communication crystals? And lastly... What do you think/hope will replace Lord Blackthornes castle?

Come on guys, lets talk about the topic and not the crap ey!

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
We were given a few minute heads up this Sneak Peek was going up. The reason is it not up on the Herald is because is it not an official post yet. The reason it is titled Sneak Peek is just that, to give a heads up on what to look for in the coming weeks I would imagine because players have been complaining about not getting enough communication. I almost wish the faction silver had been left out so this thread could be kept on track but then that's not being entirely fair is it?

Mesanna I'm sure knows the hot topic factions is and was compelled to share it anyways but there are other things included in the sneak peek as well and all of it can be discussed more before TC1 and once testing is ironed out an official Herald post would be up as always.
I don't want to derail this thread... But perhaps we could talk about such things at a later date :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
These rules have served us well for years. I do not see us changing them anytime soon.

Rules of Conduct

Please read our Rules of Conduct (RoC) prior to posting.

These forums are for discussing Massively Multiplayer Online games (MMOs) and the events associated with MMOs. These guidelines are posted only to bring clarification on some issues where there have been questions in the past. Stratics could not be any happier with the quality of posts provided by its participants and it is our desire to provide an environment that is conducive to discussions about MMOs. In general, what we're describing here is a code of conduct and if all of our participants will subscribe to this code of conduct most of these rules will be easily observed.
A. Show respect at all times.
B. Help build the Community.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know this may be off topic in part.. but the whole thread has virtually become derailed. Any chance of putting it back on track so we can talk about the sneek peek and not have complaints/moans and other negative non-constructive comments?

For example, does anyone have any idea what the new ways of gaining loyalty points will be? Any suggestions? What about the communication crystals? And lastly... What do you think/hope will replace Lord Blackthornes castle?

On loyalty points: I will admit that its been weeks since I've arrested a protester. Too many new things to distract me from keeping my own town of Skara Safe :( I didn't find it all that hard to log in every few days and 'hit the towns' so to speak to keep up loyalty but now getting back to point Adored + would take a bit more. I'm looking for more ways to prove my worth and I'm curious what kind of effort it is going to require :p

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran

For example, does anyone have any idea what the new ways of gaining loyalty points will be?
Trade cleanup points for them ;)

Any suggestions? What about the communication crystals?
They will tie into party chat ;)

And lastly... What do you think/hope will replace Lord Blackthornes castle?
Undead spawn, like in Old Haven. ;)

Oh, I thought we actually deviated from the crap and now we're back. Hehe j/k

Bob Schaffer

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I think too many moderators and stratics community are pushing the same message right now, have faith. Should we?
From the team thats brought us the bestial suit and the complete destruction of factions?

Should i be inclined to believe right now that they will be able to come up with good ideas by themselves? Do people honestly believe everyone having access to all faction artifacts without real cost or consequence
is a good idea for the community as a whole? Is that such a hard concept to see coming? Really?

Personally i believe at this point they need direction and not vague direction you should expect what they say to be EXACTLY what your going to get, no more, no less.

This only gives everyone cheap easy armour, which doesnt matter becaue the only ones who really needed it are already gone. But for those who stayed they are going to take another hit on the value of their items,
because honestly who will want a real ornimant when you can have a faction one for cheaper?

Siege isnt the answer either, too many people who have never played in Felucca to being with want to call Seige the answer. This is wrong. No serious community will ever decide a game that is item based is a good idea
to drop your suit everytime you die. Look at Diablo 3 do you see people lining up for extreme mode? HELL NO! Its obvious, that shard would have only worked under 2 conditions, 1 it had been preaos and everyone was much less
item dependent. Or 2 they had insurance. Dont like it? Thats probably why those of you on Siege are so used to playing alone. Oh and i dont need to be a PAID DEVELOPER to see this, to me and so many others its just obvious.

S

Sevin0oo0

The more ideas we throw around and refine the more chance there is that we might, between us, come up with one that is workable. .
Maybe by accident, but sometimes I think developers throw certain things out specifically to throw things into a mess, trying to find a resolve. If you were a fan of House, on TV, you know he threw others into chaos to promote creativity. No chaos, no creation. Evidence: the kitchen at mealtime.
Good designers can create normalcy out of chaos, they can clearly communicate ideas through the organizing and manipulating of words and pictures.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Why bringing Siege in to this Fel/Tram factions debat?
And about dropping your suit everytime you die on Siege. As long you can affort to replace it, it's not a problem.
To be able to replace the suits, the crafters need better access to imbuing resources and maybe runic tools.
Siege do however have a problem with Factions items as they make imbalance between faction and non factions in PvP, Siege would be better without factions items.
The last thing we want on Siege is Insurance, we fighted long time to get rid of blessing of PvP items.
Siege do have it's own problems but the problem with more factions items in Trammel do not affect Siege as we only have Fel zone and factions works on all facets as far I know.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No one is saying Siege is the answer here. The only message the mods are pushing, aside from urging posters to be respectful, is that this is a sneak peak, that we shouldn't start slamming the ideas until we know fully what is in store. We won't fully know it all until the patch notes are out and it actually hits TC.
I think too many moderators and stratics community are pushing the same message right now, have faith. Should we?
From the team thats brought us the bestial suit and the complete destruction of factions?

Should i be inclined to believe right now that they will be able to come up with good ideas by themselves? Do people honestly believe everyone having access to all faction artifacts without real cost or consequence
is a good idea for the community as a whole? Is that such a hard concept to see coming? Really?

Personally i believe at this point they need direction and not vague direction you should expect what they say to be EXACTLY what your going to get, no more, no less.

This only gives everyone cheap easy armour, which doesnt matter becaue the only ones who really needed it are already gone. But for those who stayed they are going to take another hit on the value of their items,
because honestly who will want a real ornimant when you can have a faction one for cheaper?

Siege isnt the answer either, too many people who have never played in Felucca to being with want to call Seige the answer. This is wrong. No serious community will ever decide a game that is item based is a good idea
to drop your suit everytime you die. Look at Diablo 3 do you see people lining up for extreme mode? HELL NO! Its obvious, that shard would have only worked under 2 conditions, 1 it had been preaos and everyone was much less
item dependent. Or 2 they had insurance. Dont like it? Thats probably why those of you on Siege are so used to playing alone. Oh and i dont need to be a PAID DEVELOPER to see this, to me and so many others its just obvious.

S

Sevin0oo0

Makes me wonder too, if factions changes will be different on siege. can't check that on TC, might seem like a long wait to find out.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could the same not be said the other way? Too many users are pushing the same message; that based on a few mistakes the developers should be subject to vilification. Should we?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Makes me wonder too, if factions changes will be different on siege. can't check that on TC, might seem like a long wait to find out.
I hope they will but doubt it as Devs don't like to make to much special code for Siege.
Going back to where players are forced to join faction and get factions items to be able to PvP /fight back /defend them self will kill Siege again. I believe it would be best for Siege just to remove the factions items from Siege. There must be better carrots to make people join faction. Getting more enemies and getting something to fight over should be enough.
Faction also hurt 8 of our towns, noone want to use a factions town as hometown as factions taxes force them to go to non factions towns to do their shopping. This stupid taxes effect non faction to much.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow typical Dev responses. Take ideas that the UO player base recomends and only impliment it half way.

Example: The player base recomended let everyone in factions wear the arties, but only in Fel, or if they can be worn in Tram then let factoins players be attackable in Tram.

Dev solution: "That is a great idea lets impliment half of it and let every Tom, Richard, and Harry wear faction arties with out any risk at all."

***EDIT*** I didn't know the nick name for Richard would be edited out.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't think, just possibly, that you could be jumping to conclusions that may not be accurate?

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Sorry if this has been mentioned in other places, but this pertains to the factions arties in the first place.. Why are those items given any bonus over the ones that are fought for in the PVE side of things? If reducing the strength of these "Faction" versions of the regular items is too out of the question (which to many or most it probably is), can we at least see a bump up to their level on the ones that are not Faction bought?

*Edit in hindsight* This would just make the playing field even for everyone without bringing sweeping changes to factions, and "OMG it's too easy to get these with no penalty to whoever is using them" or the "I spent a month doing this and got an arty that's 20% less effective than the faction version which can be gotten in a half our of farming silver" responses get a little recognition as well.

PvP'ers should not be bothered with PVE to farm for things they "need" to win the game is how I perceived the whole factions "hand outs" as it were, but in that same light should PVE'ers be bothered with the PVP side of things just to get the same thing the PVP'ers are getting? Another thought, just change the name of the arties that factions get and perhaps the sprite that represents them and people would be like "Oh that spell book is better than Clannin's Spellbook, I think I'll join factions to get one" instead of "Oh the faction version of Clannin's Spellbook is better! HOW DARE THE DEVS DO THAT!!!!". Just some thoughts meow.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I do believe most PvP'ers don't want to do boring silver farming. Being a PvP'ers do not mean, that they never do PvM but most rather buy their PvP gear from PC vendors.
Some PvP'ers will need to do some PvM or crafting to be able to affort PvP gear, at least on Siege.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Sorry if this has been mentioned in other places, but this pertains to the factions arties in the first place.. Why are those items given any bonus over the ones that are fought for in the PVE side of things? If reducing the strength of these "Faction" versions of the regular items is too out of the question (which to many or most it probably is), can we at least see a bump up to their level on the ones that are not Faction bought?
When they first started talking about adding the Faction items years ago, I thought "great!" let the PvPers earn their gear doing what they like to do and let the PvMers continue to kill monsters for their artis. Of course the dumb Devs had to make the Faction artis better than the regular ones thus causing all these problems.

If they would have just made the Faction Artis the same, it would have been perfect from the start. Instead we have people upset on both sides, devalued regular artis that let's be honest are harder to get, and worst of all the underpowered Dev team spending time making change after change when they could be working on something else.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Well, I don't think the "faction" version of regular arties should have even been put in the game at all. They should have been named something completely different, and if using the same object to represent them, at he least rehued to along with the new name. I think this could have remained implemented if those simple "chores" I guess would have been done, and people would think, "Hey see those new arties from factions" instead of hey the Faction version of the crimmy is better. Let's go join factions and THEN let's just stay in Trammel in not participate in pvp. At the same time, when someone not in a faction decides to go do a champ spawn (and sadly it's not often that more than 1 person in this situation does it so they are either usually alone or rarely go with a "friend". I would not say -never- so please do not misconstrue what I'm saying), these people are generally raided by raid guilds who come in masse kill said individual whilst wearing these "improved faction items", then slander them in general chat (this should be a topic for whole new discussions, but that's beside the point), in more than just simple terms of "ur newb, stay in tram".. but if I were to say here what IS said, I'd run the risk of not just getting this post deleted, but most likely banned from stratics and if not banned permanently, infracted heavily and temporarily banned. I'll refrain from saying if anyone ran 3rd party programs or not, but there is that element too, that the development needs to stop just looking at and begin doing something about (which should be a topic for a whole new discussion). So let's just not mention anything else to do with the slanderings and 3 party program usages.. Let's just stick with faction equipment vs. non faction same items.

I think it goes to reason that the removal of the "rank requirement" was to level the playing field in respect to over powered items being held by people who had spent an investment of their time (however short it may have been), so now anyone with some silver can mozy over and get those same items. The "fix" I would have done was just make the faction items the same level as the non faction items. And if that couldn't be done as I mentioned before, just make the non faction items as powerful as the faction items.. That or just make it to where you can only get the faction equivalent item in Felucca whilst in a faction but obtained in the same way it's gotten in Trammel, by killing the monster that drops it. Basically as it stands, let's go back to the example of lonely individual going to fel that is not in factions. He or she is there simply to take on a champion spawn and hopefully get some .6 or better sots and got that gleam in his or her eye of getting a 120 (insert whatever lucrative powerscrolls). That person is raided by people who are set up skill wise strictly for PVP, in FACTION arties that give massive overwhelming bonuses over the non faction versions, en masse. This is somewhat healthy. Champs are designed to be raided, defended, fought over.. they are tempting for any number of players. What I do not think they are intended for people to solo them and then be raided by an army of much more well equipped people who can stomp that person every day of the weak alone, but come in with massive numbers and superior equip.. you know, I'm just done adding anything to discussion. I can type til my fingers fall off, but I think everything I'm typing is what everyone knows already. It's been an issue, and at the least I can NOW say they are trying to do SOMETHING, and we are being asked to test it on TC1. So we should test it. Those that do, report your findings, add your suggestions, and if they don't take any constructive criticisms, then we can come back and say OMGWTFBBQ I'mma drop 5 accounts and catch my face on fire and put it on youtube.. I HATE YOU ALL! AAHHHH!H!! and all that other silly crap that's lightin' the forums up.

In the end, play UO for enjoyment, play UO with a friend, but most importantly play UO.
*edited some misspelling and added say after the NOW of my mini rant meow* also, I wants me some cinnamon rolls added to the cooking gump*

W

Woodsman

I actually would have a lot of faith if I knew what to have faith in. For instance, I have a lot of faith in Grimm Omen and the graphics update and that if done right, it could bring in new and old players, but I don't necessarily have faith that it won't keep getting pushed to the background or canceled in favor of things to satisfy people or players right now.
This was why I made the comment about how I could tell you the last several games that Jeff has played or bought based on constant Twitter updates, and what he thinks should be added or brought back to those games, but I could not tell you what he intends to happen for UO's future.

Last year, UO was moving towards things to bring in new players. Some of those things were canceled and it seemed like in one of the producer interviews this year, they decided to downplay new players. and it seems like the graphics update was pushed to the background. How can there be something as big as a high resolution graphics update, and yet we barely hear anything about it outside of Grimm posting on Stratics? And how can it be delayed and nobody wants to discuss it?

Objectively, looking at Cal and Mesanna's statements in 2011, they made it clear they intended to grow the game and bring in new and old players.

Objectively, if you look at 2012 and what been said by the devs and what has happened or is happening, attracting new players has been downplayed, the graphics update has been downplayed and delayed, and nobody wants to discuss the future of UO beyond the anniversary story and vet and holiday gifts (and in-game stories and vet and holiday gifts are not the future of UO, they are things we have experienced nearly every year in UO from nearly the start). So far, based on what's been said publicly, 2012 feels like they are just trying to maintain the current players and not really grow things.

On the other hand, there is now a really good new player guide that was just released, something that new players need. Somebody cares about new players, but it's like they don't want to talk about it.

Lots of stuff being worked on going by the last half dozen publishes, but nobody is putting it into context. If they said they wanted to get the dungeons and virtue stuff finished, get some things with factions sorted out, etc. and then push for finishing the graphics upgrade and getting new players, great, we'd know there was a definite plan.

Instead we just get things pushed out in publishes and changes made to the game without any kind of context from the leaders, and when the leaders do speak, it's very vague.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...we just get things pushed out in publishes and changes made to the game without any kind of context from the leaders, and when the leaders do speak, it's very vague.
When compared to the other BioWare properties, its as if they don't even work for the same studio. I just don't get that.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
You don't think, just possibly, that you could be jumping to conclusions that may not be accurate?
Sure. But unlikely considering the track record of the current Dev team and the others that preceded it. Dev teams seem to love to try to get us to believe that something phenomenal is in the works, but they can't tell us the details about it yet. And when it is released after 6 months of waiting, it turns out to be another pixel crack or broken system. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Remember all of the mystery surrounding town loyalty, and how something was so great in the works that it'd be worth the grind? And it gave us, what, banners and titles? All of the mystery and vagueness has almost always added up to filler for months of neglect.

S

Sevin0oo0

nobody wants to discuss the future of UO beyond the anniversary story and vet and holiday gifts (and in-game stories and vet and holiday gifts are not the future of UO, they are things we have experienced nearly every year in UO from nearly the start).
agreed, there's Always a story going on, there's Always a need for vet and gift ideas , like they ran out.?
what about that anniversary story? the rioters and stuff? I hope the main event isn't just a peak of the prev. year of LAME. There's definitely something big going on behind the scenes, why they wouldn't have put together a little advertisement of such beforehand gets me. New chief comes in, changes all the priorities, I can understand, little communication to us, I don't. Just seems they're putting a big bet on the 15th, we'll see

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Could the same not be said the other way? Too many users are pushing the same message; that based on a few mistakes the developers should be subject to vilification. Should we?
A few mistakes, you must mean in the last 6 months. New lands with a shrinking player base. Turning UO into an item based game. Trying to force players to use a 3D client. Dropping 3D and bring out KR when it wasn't even ready to Beta test. Dropping KR and bring out yet another client that is still in testing. How many more major OOPS do you want and lets not talk about all the non-major OOPs.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few mistakes, you must mean in the last 6 months. New lands with a shrinking player base. Turning UO into an item based game. Trying to force players to use a 3D client. Dropping 3D and bring out KR when it wasn't even ready to Beta test. Dropping KR and bring out yet another client that is still in testing. How many more major OOPS do you want and lets not talk about all the non-major OOPs.
Considering the subject was vilifying them over mistakes they've made, we should probably leave the ones they didn't make off the list ;)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry if this has been mentioned in other places, but this pertains to the factions arties in the first place.. Why are those items given any bonus over the ones that are fought for in the PVE side of things?
Because like everything related to Fel, the only way to get people to go there is to put better things there to try and lure them there. Just look at all the goodies they have added to Fel and it is still a goast town. Time to make a stelther and join factions so I can equip all my PVMers in faction arties, why buy the real thing.

W

Woodsman

Normally I agree with you Lord Frodo, but I don't think we should hold devs responsible for past decisions, especially when most were made before the current team even worked on UO. KR could have succeeded but it seems to me that Stygian Abyss took precendence and/or resources that could have been better used on KR. I don't know though, I wasn't there, but I've never heard of any devs happy that it was pulled, just sadness over what it could have been.

W

Woodsman

This sums up some of the problems to me about UO's future. This is not an attack on a UO developer before anybody gets defensive, it's a statement of fact based on something he publicly posted.

Jeff Skalski is attending E3. 3 hours ago, he posted about how excited he was to soon learn about what Nintendo has planned.

Twitter / Jeff_Skalski : Even more amped 4 the Nint

Even more amped 4 the Nintendo E3 Conference after watching the preshow. Everyone buckle up, some @#$% is about 2go down n a good way. ‪#WiiU‬
I'll take as many pics as I can. If Samus makes an appearance you'll be the first person I think of. ;)
I want to hear about plans for UO and I want to be as excited about UO's future as Jeff is about Nintnedo's WiiU thing.

I want to see this tweet from Jeff:

Everyone buckle up, some @#$% is about 2go down n a good way. ‪#Ultima-Online
Some will take this as a personal attack, but I just found it ironic that Jeff is attending an expo where he is learning about all kinds of new games and console stuff and he's excited, and a lot of us would be excited to hear about UO's future.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Can we get to Mining the area of Old Blackthorns Castle yet?

I am sure there are some artifacts to be found there. Maybe a basement, Lower dungeon.

Ok who is with me. We just need a rune and we are off.

Heading to West Brit bank now. See you all in a few

Let's get back to the Game Shall we.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some will take this as a personal attack, but I just found it ironic that Jeff is attending an expo where he is learning about all kinds of new games and console stuff and he's excited, and a lot of us would be excited to hear about UO's future.
Does Jeff even play UO or talk about it on Tweeter unless asked a question. You would think because it is his JOB at EA that he would give Ultima some plugs now and then.

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This sums up some of the problems to me about UO's future. This is not an attack on a UO developer before anybody gets defensive, it's a statement of fact based on something he publicly posted.

Jeff Skalski is attending E3. 3 hours ago, he posted about how excited he was to soon learn about what Nintendo has planned.

Twitter / Jeff_Skalski : Even more amped 4 the Nint

I want to hear about plans for UO and I want to be as excited about UO's future as Jeff is about Nintnedo's WiiU thing.

I want to see this tweet from Jeff:

To a degree I have to disagree with what your saying about Jeff and his Twitter... Yes its nice when he answers questions and posts stuff about Ultima or Ultima Online but on the other hand.. It's Jeff Skalski's Twitter not "Jeff@Bioware" or "Jeff@Ultima"

At the end of the day it is his twitter about him..

The herald is what news is for :)

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran

Why do you lay these troubles on an already troubled mind? Can you not see? Your uncle is wearied by your malcontent, your warmongering.

I think this is a great attempt at trying to find the balance, open up communication more and say this is the direction we'd like to go, what's your input on it. I don't think Mesanna posted this just to wave Hi. It's not a matter of secrecy but a lot of what we see coming up I imagine has to do with the long term story arc.

"Don't worry, they'll row for a month before they figure out I'm fakin' it."

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the good work!!! Just remember to improve ingame-music, hehe!
The current team didn't have anything to do with getting rid of them, but they should consider going back and using the origional soundtrack to UO...it was WAYYYY better than the "golden age" version we have now... (well, it was way better IF you had a good hardware MIDI card at least, if you had a poor midi card or bad samples obviously it wouldn't sound right). Just use professional samples and "render" out the midi to whatever compressed format UO uses now (i think mp3?)

For an example of them, I used many of them in this video here (i play with ingame music off as I don't particularly like the current music so i just dubbed the classic soundtrack over it in a giant loop playing through them all...though there's a few older ultima tracks mixed in as well)