• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sneak Peek

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even with all the "benifits" of the faction gear, a good, organized guild using non faction arties can easily beat a decent, non organized guild using faction gear.
The issue is not that you can't come "close" enough to faction gear that a better player can kill a faction player with it, it's that it costs about 30x more to suit up in "comparible" non-faction gear (number not pulled out of thin air, it's based on current artifact/equipment prices and current silver->gold conversion rate). So yes, a guild with better pvpers, better organized, spending 30x as much on gear can indeed stand a chance against a similarly sized faction group.

T

Tm84

Even with all the "benifits" of the faction gear, a good, organized guild using non faction arties can easily beat a decent, non organized guild using faction gear.
Yes so very true. However how often does a town really get fought over? Most of the time there is someone there waiting to steal the sigil and run for it and done... town is captured. And a simple counter attack from it's former faction will return the sigil to it's owner.
Now during peak hours when guilds are at it's best then yes i can see this happening however people do have lives and most of us will not be on when a sigil is taken. And will only hear about the sigil being taken ONLY if it's their guild that takes it.
With that said, it's more then just the faction gear that needs to be tailored, it's the Faction facet itself that needs to be revamped

In the end it really depends on the population activity of the shards/guild/faction mates and currently UO is not as populated as it use to be.

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the most sound statement on this thread. People seem to think that somehow gear makes a bad pvper into a good one. Adding 3 MR to a suit with a faction orni does not = Godmode. All faction does is allow everyone the opportunity to compete on a level ground gear-wise. Having some addition to the faction gear encourages faction participation which is the entire goal in the first place. Want cheap gear with small buffs? Fine but you're at risk. Don't want that risk? Fine. Pay for the normal stuff with little risk involved and pvp on your own terms.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
This is the most sound statement on this thread. People seem to think that somehow gear makes a bad pvper into a good one. Adding 3 MR to a suit with a faction orni does not = Godmode. All faction does is allow everyone the opportunity to compete on a level ground gear-wise. Having some addition to the faction gear encourages faction participation which is the entire goal in the first place. Want cheap gear with small buffs? Fine but you're at risk. Don't want that risk? Fine. Pay for the normal stuff with little risk involved and pvp on your own terms.
I said I'd stop discussing in this thread and I like part of what you're saying ma'am. But for a lot of people running faction arties, it's not simply just an orny, or just a cc.. it's combination of many artifacts used in a lot of cases. I should know, I've imbued TONS of suits for pvp'ers on Atlantic in the past, now it's not so much in demand any more. I've had to imbue around those faction arties, and usually get request for "can you imbue around these 3 pieces?" And they come stand by me, I add it up, and say sure, and make them a damn good suit, and get paid for it usually pretty well. So when you say it like that, it makes it seem like yeah you got a good point, which you do, but in more cases than a few, it's not simply just 1 faction arty with additional bonuses that is the problem.

*Slight quick ninja edit* Also, another glaring problem that is hot and on topic of the faction items, is people don't use them for their intended purpose, which is for pvp and faction fighting. They were at points spamming in general chat that they wanted to buy some punkte from someone who'd let them kill them, for gold to just buy their way up in rank to get those items. They didn't want to pvp or care for factions at all. They just wanted to abuse a system which may have originally been put in for a good cause but was easily exploitable, then take their new doodads and go play in tram rulesets.

T

Tm84

I said I'd stop discussing in this thread and I like part of what you're saying ma'am. But for a lot of people running faction arties, it's not simply just an orny, or just a cc.. it's combination of many artifacts used in a lot of cases. I should know, I've imbued TONS of suits for pvp'ers on Atlantic in the past, now it's not so much in demand any more. I've had to imbue around those faction arties, and usually get request for "can you imbue around these 3 pieces?" And they come stand by me, I add it up, and say sure, and make them a damn good suit, and get paid for it usually pretty well. So when you say it like that, it makes it seem like yeah you got a good point, which you do, but in more cases than a few, it's not simply just 1 faction arty with additional bonuses that is the problem.

*Slight quick ninja edit* Also, another glaring problem that is hot and on topic of the faction items, is people don't use them for their intended purpose, which is for pvp and faction fighting. They were at points spamming in general chat that they wanted to buy some punkte from someone who'd let them kill them, for gold to just buy their way up in rank to get those items. They didn't want to pvp or care for factions at all. They just wanted to abuse a system which may have originally been put in for a good cause but was easily exploitable, then take their new doodads and go play in tram rulesets.
I agree completely here. I'v made a ton of armor for people with the same quotes. It's just easier to make a good MAXED out armor set with Faction gear then it is without. People will always do what is easiest to get to the top for those PVM'ers that use faction gear soul purpose for PVM. This is why Trammel faction war should be allowed.

Z

Zyon Rockler

OK i got the best solution

Remove the faction collection box from the bases and place them in the 7 towns. Then you have to OWN that town to collect from that collection box

OK now you need to remove names, remove rank requirement and make them cursed (but keep them faction item)this would allow you to keep what you kill, use what you keep and make you fight for the towns this would bring life to factions if you want the armor

what ya think about this idea???????????????
The artys are the wrong type, I like the ideal but it has more to with game play then a fix for the other things.
I think the artys need to be changed so they are not over power but make it easy to suit up.
They should give bonuses to fighting Like a Shield you can lock with others to form a wall.
I would redo them to look good and add all kinds of stuff to them that would not matter much in tram or when fighting none faction.

They would still work well tho and give some good mods like swing speed. I would do a complete suit tho so you could not mix them out with other things. I would try to do things that look neat more then give power. I think that would be enough to get ppl to wear the suits. Like neat lights or evil smoke an extra chance to hit or do more damage to other faction or spawn.

They could make other things to use as rank like pots that do new neat things or pets. Even weps or other things that help the weapon like an oil you use on the blade.

The rank from the suit should be there but not the hardest to get. There could be like a freeze pot that can freeze an army in range 4 screen. that could be like a 10 rank and use base points.

But the suits I think should be basic gear. They could set upgrades so you would have more then one or type depending on rank. Again I would use the look or the fact that you are a higher rank and need to earn it .. More then making it with more power but give it a feeling of rule!!

Z

Zyon Rockler

Oh they could make you more power full with in your own faction like An increase in damage .. So with in the faction you could kill more easy your own, But That would be better for evil factions. Maybe a healing power for good. I guess you could give each faction a goal they could use or work for also. Like a tamers bonus.

S

Sevin0oo0

The artys are the wrong type,
I think so too, why are they mirrors of PVM??? Shouldn't they offer a stiff negative in regards to non-pvp activity, like mob fighting?

What if faction gear equipped players took (5x) the normal damage from mobs? Kinda slows farming and start losing the incentive to get them for solely for PVM.
Capturing a sigil could negate this for a period, or negate it for Faction aligned mobs (Fel only).

Z

Zyon Rockler

yes like slayers do when you get hit by the other type it dose double damage to you.. So the same should happen but it should carry over in the same way i think..

You should not try to make it more then that if they use it in tram that should be fine because you are using silver to pay insure or to buy them. they could wear out faster also. I don"t think you need to do much more then that.

The fact that anything dose extra damage but opposing faction and there spawns is most likely more then you would have to do.
It just adds to it really because the player has earned it paid for it took care of it and now also has extra damage from everything but from three things.

I think you would still try to get them to wear the stuff and use it. Even if the faction gose to tram as team and get use out of it, it should be ok. Should be fun to be in factions. even if you are in tram.

S

Sevin0oo0

What are the main issues?

stop silver farming
stop using factions to be a main source of PVM gear
faster wear
I could throw in allow opposing faction guild members, but that's in the other thread already

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What if faction gear equipped players took (5x) the normal damage from mobs? Kinda slows farming and start losing the incentive to get them for solely for PVM.
How about we do the same when Factions raid a Spawn. Non-Faction PvMers do 5X damage to PKing Factioners trying to steal the Spawn. PvMers are not the only ones abusing Faction Arties. PvPers are abusing Faction Arties using them outside of Factions. All parts of Fel was not put into Factions. Keep Factions to Faction Cities and Faction Strongholds the way it was designed.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

stop silver farming
faster wear
I could throw in allow opposing faction guild members, but that's in the other thread already
You forgot one.
stop using factions to be a main source of PKers/Spawn Stealers gear

T

Tm84

You forgot one.
Well... the reason that PKs with Faction gear stealing spawns is because the Spawns are worth more then the towns. Therefore when you start a spawn your walking on Faction land, and which ever guild/faction is monitoring it will attack and take it back or wait until you get close to the champ and raid. SO! unless they make the towns Worth taking, i don't see this happening.

T

Tm84

How about we do the same when Factions raid a Spawn. Non-Faction PvMers do 5X damage to PKing Factioners trying to steal the Spawn. PvMers are not the only ones abusing Faction Arties. PvPers are abusing Faction Arties using them outside of Factions. All parts of Fel was not put into Factions. Keep Factions to Faction Cities and Faction Strongholds the way it was designed.
Do you expect faction members to carry 2 sets of armor? so when you see a Blue they need to change armor ASAP and then run into a Faction member and then changing back into Faction gear? What would you do when Faction is fighting Faction and then a Blue/Red guild comes in to the mix?
It's Fel, anyone can attack there is no stopping a Blue from killing a Faction member with 5x the damage output or a Red for that matter.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmmm that is a little too much and the design of fel champ spawn IS suppose to be raided. You might as well just say Faction chars can't do spawns if its 5x damage.

How about a reverse of that idea of some sort. While wearing faction armor in tram, you take double damage from monsters. That way the armor use is just limited to fel and it also prevent normal PvM character from using it from regular hunts when not in fel?

Faction is already limited to fel why not the armor as well?

Also it would not be bad to put requirements on how many faction armor pieces you can wear at a time based on number of town your faction current control? Like at the very least every faction member can wear up to 2 faction armor items and to wear more, your faction will need occupy certain # of towns with in a certain period (Taken and held at least 1 town in a set period of time to get to wear 3 pieces? and so on)

There need to be more options to create actual faction interactions\Conflict other than yew gate/champ spawns.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I've been avoiding this thread for days and am going to wait until further information is released regarding the change to Faction Artis. But I had to throw my 2 cents out there since right now everyone is just speculating about what the changes will be and throwing out ideas that usually are so biased toward their playstyle that it's not even worth reading (5x damage to PvPers attacking PvMers and Trammies trying put ideas out there that clearly allow them access to Faction Artis with little to no involvement in Fel or PvP......lol).

S

Sevin0oo0

I did forget, thanks, but after reconsidering, a Soldier of Fortune in game seems normal, we all are, in a way.

I'll add, imo, Reds should not be allowed to equip faction gear - if they wanna take their own path, then Do It w/o organized militia help.
I like the standard Faction Stat.

I also think stat loss duration should apply, and scale, on murder count totals, with more counts eventually giving a permanent stat drop, all the way to GM.
Last I remember, being a criminal was expensive, especially a murderer, and it needs to be so.
Provided more ways to remove counts are instituted besides running a macro or doing nothing.
Could even clear counts like they have in the past, for fair warning and planning.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well... the reason that PKs with Faction gear stealing spawns is because the Spawns are worth more then the towns. Therefore when you start a spawn your walking on Faction land, and which ever guild/faction is monitoring it will attack and take it back or wait until you get close to the champ and raid. SO! unless they make the towns Worth taking, i don't see this happening.
Faction Land LOL. Spawns were never put into Factions. Maybe you should learn what Factions were all about. Just another reason to abuse Faction Arties.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmmmm that is a little too much and the design of fel champ spawn IS suppose to be raided.
Yes Spawns are ment to be done and fought over but PKing Factioners are abusing Faction Arties by using them outside of Faction areas so yes PvMers are going to abuse the system just like PvPers have been doing.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been avoiding this thread for days and am going to wait until further information is released regarding the change to Faction Artis. But I had to throw my 2 cents out there since right now everyone is just speculating about what the changes will be and throwing out ideas that usually are so biased toward their playstyle that it's not even worth reading (5x damage to PvPers attacking PvMers and Trammies trying put ideas out there that clearly allow them access to Faction Artis with little to no involvement in Fel or PvP......lol).
LOL Factions Cities are dead so it is PvPers and Fellies that have been abusing this. PvMers and Trammies are just making the playing field even. Tell all your PvPers and Fellies to stop abusing it and keep Faction Arties in Faction Areas and no not all of Fel was put into Factions.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes Spawns are ment to be done and fought over but PKing Factioners are abusing Faction Arties by using them outside of Faction areas so yes PvMers are going to abuse the system just like PvPers have been doing.
PvMers can use faction arties prior to the whole faction points adjustment change? Who says PvMer can not join faction? Everyone has the same access to faction arties.

So getting raided by someone that has better gear than you is considered abuse? You have the same access.... you just have to PvP to get the points? I mean lets be real here, PvMer were using faction arties just fine prior to the point screw up.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL Factions Cities are dead so it is PvPers and Fellies that have been abusing this. PvMers and Trammies are just making the playing field even. Tell all your PvPers and Fellies to stop abusing it and keep Faction Arties in Faction Areas and no not all of Fel was put into Factions.
Factions was pretty much alive prior to the point screw ups. Are you saying that Trammies\PvMer does not have the same access to faction arties prior to the faction changes that made a lot of people quit? If you do not wish to work for the points, then you should not get the item? It comes down to a matter of choice, spend time pvping for points or spend time doing PvM stuff.

Is there some rule that I am not aware of that states Trammies\PvMer can not join factions? No one is stopping anyone from joining and getting points for the arties. Prior to the points readjustment, people purchase points from faction players for artie access.

T

Tm84

Faction Land LOL. Spawns were never put into Factions. Maybe you should learn what Factions were all about. Just another reason to abuse Faction Arties.
Well it appears that i would need to clear it up for you since your too dense to understand what i'm saying.
I'm referring to Guilds that monitor the Spawns to see what's going on and these guilds are normally Faction players. Faction is about taking over Towns dur, when Towns arn't worth anything to hold the next best is to Keep Spawns to themself hence "Faction Land".
Please understand what territories are before you comment.

And what are you talking about it "Just another reason to abuse Faction Arties?" Please clear this up.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Factions was pretty much alive prior to the point screw ups.
No they were not. Faction Cities were/are dead. When is the last time Factions fought over Faction Cities or raided another Faction Stronghold. People found a way to exploit the Faction point system so UO was forced to wipe all the points and try to come up with another system. The main problem is that once again UO put Faction Arties into Factions trying to lure people into Fel and did not put in any checks and balances. Faction Arties are fine as long as they are used in Faction related areas while fighting other Faction players. Unless UO puts in checks and balances Faction Arties will be abused even more. Everyone will get Faction Arties. Limit Faction Arties to Fel Faction areas only. They do not belong in and Tram rule set and they do not belong in any other area in Fel outside of Faction areas. I am sure if UO did this then Factions would go the same direction as the dodo.

T

Tm84

Yes Faction cities are dead. Please explain how PVPers and fel players are abusing faction arties to pvp? Isn't Faction about pvp? And how are Trammies making the playing field even when they get the arties and run back to Trammel to PVM? And what is your definition of Faction Areas? Last that i know All of Fel is fair game.

What would you like to see happen to Faction Arties if we are abusing it as you state it?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well it appears that i would need to clear it up for you since your too dense to understand what i'm saying.
I'm referring to Guilds that monitor the Spawns to see what's going on and these guilds are normally Faction players. Faction is about taking over Towns dur, when Towns arn't worth anything to hold the next best is to Keep Spawns to themself hence "Faction Land".
Please understand what territories are before you comment.

And what are you talking about it "Just another reason to abuse Faction Arties?" Please clear this up.
LOL Here are your Faction Lands as defined by UO. Factions consist of Faction Strongholds and 8 Felucca cities (Britain, Magincia, Minoc, Moonglow, Skara Brae, Trinsic, Vesper and Yew). Would you please show me were DUNGEONS were put into Factions.

And no I am not to dense to understand that people were/are and will continue to abuse a system until UO puts in some checks and balances.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where's the abuse when the faction items are bought and paid for with Felucca earned silver? LOL....hilarious.

I guess I'm abusing Powerscrolls too when I farm them and run back to trammel to engage in PvM.:rolleyes:

Z

Zyon Rockler

stop silver farming
faster wear
It should be up to the players to stop the farming of silver as long as they let me take silver from them they are letting me beat them in the game. They can stop me. But it should not be you can go afk and earn it.

I think its ok ppl use faction stuff to pvm as long as they; Earn it with a low rank. Pay for it with silver. Pay insure with silver and it wears out fast so you have to buy it again.

That way you keep a rank and make your silver in fel .. So you would spend time in fel giving ppl in factions a chance to fight with you.

Also double damage from opposing faction spawns so TB takes normal damage from demons but all other factions get hit hard.

Maybe allow enemy Factions to get silver from opposing faction spawn if the damage is more.

I would allow points to be added also so you could kill just spawns and earn gear. Get points from spawns and gain rank. Maybe cap that at low rank tho.

Also make the spawns a bit harder to kill and add some so it is not so easy to get silver.

S

Sevin0oo0

Also double damage from opposing faction spawns so TB takes normal damage from demons but all other factions get hit hard.
Gear durability should drop faster, given the ease of availability and low cost, not to mention the increased power budget over the PVM counter part, perhaps it should get New tags, why 25 or 50 durability & ephemeral should occur, non-insurable.

"Faction Aligned Mobs" - do these not already do extra damage to opposing faction members??? if not, then Why are they even linked??? (picked because they're pretty?)
If I was a faction mob, I'd certainly put forth my best effort For my 'buds' - similarly, aligned faction attacking me would receive my increased wrath as well. Makes sense, and fair, imo.
Opposing spawn should reward points.
On a side note, I hear aligned daemons respawn almost instantly, do the others aligned as well - having equal availability?

[OT] This is really off topic, but in regard to other posts about 'faction land'... think SP , it's ALL factions, so those borderlines and tram explanations won't hold true. war is war, regardless of 'where' it occurs - that's why I think Faction fighting should occur in tram on enabled shards, with NO call guards on other faction members.

I agree, done correctly, with balance and fairness, Factions could be a lot of fun, but it's not that way.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is those that desire the thrill of the PK life. With factions seems there is the perfect tool. Why the tram set lands are no agro from other faction members can only have been aproved by those that have to remember to breath. The only hurdle would be to find the right carrots to draw players to factions. Now if they had made it where imbued tagged items can only be worn by faction members and created by faction members. Or reforging only by and for faction members there could of been the carrot for crafters and fighters alike. Faction members open season to other faction member no matter what map.

Those in faction only the PBD blessed items works as blessed save item. Those in faction have insured items untagged once worn/held. Faction members once they join receive 3 character bonded Faction Insurance Deeds. Theese deeds take gold from the dead players bank box and killing faction member's faction receives build points egual to the gold earned. Points used to build and repair their faction fortress. Faction members attacked by non faction members, and do no damage back to attacker and are killed, they and their corpse are teleported to their faction fortress shrine room. Faction build points is another story for another time.

The loss of chaos and order. Take the long list of standard armor and weapons. Tagging 80% that list as "human only". ENLISTED option tag color title. Any enlisted member can attack any enlisted member of a different race. Just take the paragraph above and replace the word faction with enlisted. Any armor or weapons crafted by an enlisted crafter has random 2-5 stats increase beyond any other runic mods. Enlisted crafted weapons and armor cannot be insured but can be Enlisted Insured Deeded. Build points will also have a use on ships. Any points used on a ship makes it usable by any enlisted member of that race. Or artwork for an elf vessle and we can go from there.

T

Tm84

LOL Here are your Faction Lands as defined by UO. Factions consist of Faction Strongholds and 8 Felucca cities (Britain, Magincia, Minoc, Moonglow, Skara Brae, Trinsic, Vesper and Yew). Would you please show me were DUNGEONS were put into Factions.

And no I am not to dense to understand that people were/are and will continue to abuse a system until UO puts in some checks and balances.
I said LAND Territories (LOST LANDS, BRITANNIA) not cities. And FELUCCA is your answer. It's Part of Faction therefore all DUNGEONS, Cities, Territories, Spawns is part of Faction. Anyone can claim a Land if they choose to hold it and prevent others from using it. Cities arn't worth anything why would we fight there when Champs have better payouts?

And yes your right about the checks and balance. Either Trammel players should not be-able to use them, or Faction war should be allowed in Trammel. And setting limits as to preventing players not using it is just ridiculous for a SANDBOX MMO.
STOP Limiting!, it'll destroy every last bit UO has to stand for as a SANDBOX MMO.