• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sneak Peek II

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
Agree 100%

I will continue to debate the notion that existing players or returning players would refuse to join simply on the basis of graphics. I just don't agree. To me, I believe it's more about how UO is as a game, a grid-based, RNG controlled, 2D program. Why would anyone who is serious about PvP continue to play a non-3D game? Why would anyone serious about PvP continue to play a game in which RNG controls hit chance rather than player skill? Why would anyone who PvMs want to settle for the limited quest system UO has, a quest system that is hardly ever upgraded. We have a dozen or more new mobs added every dungeon re-vamp and absolutely zero quests related to those changes. No Kill 10 Dazzled Harpies, no Slay Cora, nothing. Why would a PvMer settle for mobs that are made harder chiefly by increasing the base movement speed, resists, or hit points, rather than adding strategic special moves? Creating a player environment in which the individual is only encouraged to exploit the system such as locking or dragging excess mobs away in order to focus?

To me, the graphics of the CC are one of the few reasons UO is appealing over other MMOs. "Classic" will never go out of style, and unlike player housing, which is often cited as a perk, the style remains unique in this genre. The problem is the way the game runs, the lack of content integration regarding an outdated quest system, and the fact 3D content creates a user challenge 2D games aren't capable of producing. I'm not sure how the CC/EC client can improve, but having two clients at once is also a drag. The majority still plays the CC and the EC doesn't improve upon any of the core issues because of limitations set by the CC.

Engineering problems galore. Graphics? Not as much, in my opinion.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I respectfully disagree that graphics should be highest priority on the list of improvements. UO can never compete with modern games on that front.
We disagree here. If UO looked like Titan Quest and had a game engine that could appease those who favor those of the isometric view and those of the 3ders with high resolution and then get some exposure I believe it could be a very popular game again.

W

Woodsman

I respectfully disagree that graphics should be highest priority on the list of improvements. UO can never compete with modern games on that front. But it doesn't have to. Take the things that make UO unique, and run with it. Fix bugs and broken systems (like the current producer stated would be done.)
To me, it's not necessarily about competing with other games. In fact, UO shouldn't even try. When it does try to compete, bad things happen - witness Trammel, AOS, Insurance, etc.

What it's about is survival and picking up players who don't know what they want until they find it.

World of Warcraft loses more players in a week than UO has playing. Many go off, try other or new MMORPGs, and they come back, then they repeat this every 6 months or so. There are a lot of restless MMORPGers out there. I know, I've been among them, I've had a guild full of them - my WOW guild would lose tons of people to things like Rift and Guild Wars, but eventually they came back. They never found what they were looking.

These people look down upon UO for its old graphics, not just because the graphics are outdated, but because it gives the impression that EA is not serious about UO. Look at any MMORPG out there approaching the 10 year mark - all of them have undergone one or more major graphics updates over the years. Hell, EVE Online started in 2003, it's went through a couple of big updates, it's a sandbox, it's got unrestricted/open-world PvP, and it's doing better than it ever did, hitting 400,000 subscribers a few months ago.

Dungeon revamps, bug fixing, etc. will never register with non-UOers. It's all about image. That's just the way it is.

At some point, if UO doesn't pick up new players, it will die. I'd rather changes be made to keep it alive. I took a break, and let me tell you, when I came back to UO last year, it was like a kick to the **** seeing how low the populations had dropped. I think a lot of people who think everything is okay don't have that perspective.

W

Woodsman

I will continue to debate the notion that existing players or returning players would refuse to join simply on the basis of graphics. I just don't agree.
UO has much more depth and flexibility than just about any other MMORPG out there, and with the loss of Star Wars Galaxies, UO is practically in a league of its own. And yet here we are. I can easily place an 18x18 on the vast majority of shards. The number of overall MMORPG players keeps growing every year, but UO has been declining for nearly 10 years.

I agree with you that the quest system needs work. I was disappointed when it was dropped, because when Mesanna announced it, it sounded like they were aware that UO really needed it. It was one of those things that new players need.

UO could do well if it was given a chance with a solid graphics update. Not the half-finished or way-too-buggy releases of the past, but a solid graphics update. UO offers many things that no other games come close to touching, but because of the image it has, it's never going to get that chance.

If you're wanting to sell a house, and the paint is peeling, the windows are broken, there are holes in the porch, you're going to fix it up if you want to get any decent money out of it.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disagree all you want.

UO is not bustling and there isn't influx of returning players and let alone new players who've never seen or heard of UO. Let's keep doing what we've been doing expecting a different result = Einstein's Theory of Insanity.
You mention Einstein's Theory of Insanity yet you also want the CC to die. How many times have the EA devs tried to replace the CC with a new client only to find the majority of users unwilling to switch? Third Dawn, KR, SA. That's insanity, but at least Third Dawn had dancing.

Assume the CC is gone tomorrow. We're left with less than half of the existing UO population and a game that remains 2D grid-based and RNG controlled. Nothing solved. The question the majority of us CC users have is why did the EA devs waste their time trying to facelift their grid-based game when they could have engineered a better client for the existing 2D assets?

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Graphics aren't important, but they're not unimportant either.
It's one of many things that's holding UO back, but taking UO and making it look like Skyrim isn't going to magically make UO GOTY material.

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How did this topic once again get so far from what it was intended? Awesome for the gifts ,as for the rest this is not the time nor the topic for your discussion

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Definition of PEEK

: to take a brief look : glance
This is merely a tiny glimpse of what is coming - don't read too much into it.
We have another tiny glimpse of the faction changes - which tells us that some of our speculations last week could well be pretty accurate - and some are way off. I wonder, if we get another 'peek' next week if we will learn a little more.
On the harpsichords, don't confuse the 15th anniversary gift with a 15 year vet reward - this is a gift, not a reward.
And if Bugs Bunny can play a harpsichord with 3 fingers, so can a goblin!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO could do well if it was given a chance with a solid graphics update. Not the half-finished or way-too-buggy releases of the past, but a solid graphics update. UO offers many things that no other games come close to touching, but because of the image it has, it's never going to get that chance.
I agree that a graphics update could help this game attract new users, but I doubt any of those users would commit to play this game in its current state. Don't get me wrong, I still have fun in UO, but let's be brutally honest. This game doesn't have the heart it used to have, and that has nothing to do with graphics. Besides, if you want to play UO just to own a house why not play The Sims or The Sims Medieval? It's under the same EA umbrella, costs a lot less money since there are no monthly fees, it's true 3D, there's a much bigger player dev community, the account limit exceeds one house, et cetera., et cetera.

When I joined UO in 1999 I looked at the back of the T2A box and said, "I want to own a blacksmith shop." Could I do that today? Not really, unless I have a house in Luna. There's no real interaction now either, you just place vendors and people buy repair deeds. That's one thing SWG got right, player interaction. George Vanous spoke about it during his interview with Richard Garriott and I was like, "Right on, George!"

Imagine a UO in which bards could play music to give a group a buff that would last for a couple hours, and without the bard needing to be anywhere near the adventurers during the extent of said buff. A tipping system which would send gold from one bank to another with an escrow penalty (gold sink). Imagine dancing--well, some have--where is that dancing thread when you need it? Haha. And similar buffs. Medics (healers), engineers (crafters), every profession at work in a meaningful way. That's how UO used to be, albeit to a less developed extent, and that's the game engineering, not the graphics, at work.

Next, we discuss AOS, until we cycle though all former debates ;P.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You mention Einstein's Theory of Insanity yet you also want the CC to die. How many times have the EA devs tried to replace the CC with a new client only to find the majority of users unwilling to switch?
I'm more than willing to switch and play any client put forth that doesn't have the ****ty CC Legacy graphics dating back all the way to Ultima 7. All the reluctance simply proves CC Jurassics are unwilling to change regardless of the client and options presented to them. The sooner the CC crashes and burns the better it is for UOs future, same goes for the EC in it's current state. You can ask all the questions you want but it doesn't change the reality that neither the CC nor the EC are bringing in any new players. Something needs to change drastically in terms of the way UO looks or UO will simply continue to lose players over time while not gaining any new players.

Your at a crossroads...the CC or EC (in it's current state) can't bring in any new players and a large portion of the old guard refuse to play in anything but the CC. Me... If it was up to me I'd not continue doing the same thing over and I'd ditch the CC and those unwilling to change and move on without them.

MagicStar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This talk about no new players is confusing me
Every time i log in i find both new and returning players in help channel on atlantic
For a few months now i been wondering where they are all coming from

Z

Zyon Rockler

I think one of the biggest factors recently was the housing drop, The Great Fall. What happens is, everyone who might lose a house comes back. Those people that come back tell other people that they are going back and they also come with them. New players find out about this and ask, What UO is and then the people tell them that it's alot like WoW or something stupid and they say ok, i'll try it too. So, in that one simple scenerio, you have 3x the people.

But the problem is that it's stagnant again because alot of those houses have now fallen and the people who rejoined the game hoping for a bigger house or for some good loot have now overcome that. So, you will see different systems where these people will funnel out.

Also, now, we have the 15th year coming up, which means anybody who is anybody in the gaming industry should be focused on UO right now and they should be playing it to learn why it has lasted 15 years. So, we should see a huge spike, just for that reason but unless some of these systems are fixed where they can support the new players or are interesting and fun enough for more than one play style, than they probably won't hold water but UO will continue to be an icon and I don't think anyone has to worry about it falling off the map simply because of where it is in time.

But I think you're going to see alot of things change over the next 5 years. Some of the systems like the dungeons, smithing and spawning have improved greatly but I don't know if it will be enough game play and the housing market really does need land. So, it will be interesting to see how the Devs fix that issue.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The sooner the CC crashes and burns the better it is for UOs future.
I hate all the new 3d games. The spinning camera views make me sick after awhile. So not everyone needs or wants the latest 3d vomit machine graphics.

Besides, most MMORPG players that are going to play a certain game for years don't care if the game has the best graphics out there, they care about content and having a Dev team that actually cares about and understands the game and most importantly the players want to enjoy their time playing. Sadly I don't think that's the case with UO anymore. As many have said before - if the Devs had to play the game the way we do they'd change the mechanics of this game right now.

Here's what most UO players are stuck dealing with in this game:

Starting a char from scratch and grinding skills up that are nearly useless unless you're over 100.
Paying millions of gold for armor, weapons, power scrolls, stat scrolls, resources, etc. Or grinding for months to get them yourself.
Grinding repetitive quests/events that seemingly have no end or purpose.
Praying to the RNG gods for months/years just to get that must have arti drop.
Needing to become a mathematician just to put a suit together.
Watching scripters, dupers, etc go unpunished for years and worse yet ruining many aspect of the game for honest players.

And this is what we're suppose to consider fun and pay money for every month?

Add in the fact that UO spends exactly ZERO dollars on advertising. Is it really any wonder why the population keeps dropping.

S

Sevin0oo0

they are doing things at this time to try and appease both sides of the EC/CC debate.
that's what I'm thinking... single client, switchable graphics - but as EC users know, there's plenty bugs still, but I'll be looking for it anyways.
For some it's hardware, some it's physical, some, just a preference.
So they cancelled EC graphics upgrades?, there's nothing new for CC slated either. hmmm, all them extra art guys must just sit around and eat pizza

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I hate all the new 3d games. The spinning camera views make me sick after awhile. So not everyone needs or wants the latest 3d vomit machine graphics.

QFT

{for those that have always wondered that's Quoted For Truth, I had to break down and ask someone. I had always assumed it meant Quit F'ing Trolling :p }

W

Woodsman

and the housing market really does need land. So, it will be interesting to see how the Devs fix that issue.
You can place 18x18s and Towers on just about any shard not named Atlantic, and even then I've seen a few spots where towers could fit. Land is not a problem.
That's not what anybody is talking about with UO and 3D clients. Everybody wants the isometric perspective to stay, and you can have 3D and still have the isometric perspective. Dungeon Siege, Diablo III, etc. are 3D and still keep an isometric perspective. The EC supports 3D - it's the same client that runs Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, Rift, Oblivion, and a slew of others. Nobody here is talking about turning UO into a First Person Perspective, or even like Ultima 9.

Kind of getting back on topic, with the comments about how the harpsichords look, I wonder what made them decide to use the same type of files between the CC and EC. Me thinks that was not a random change. I technically understand why they did it, but it was just interesting that they waited until now to do it.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This talk about no new players is confusing me
Every time i log in i find both new and returning players in help channel on atlantic
For a few months now i been wondering where they are all coming from
There's lots of new/returning/transferring players on atlantic.
I think the issue is the rest of the servers are down to about 20 die-hards.
Even the guy who was harassing me by blocking the shoreline of my (home shard) house with boats left, and he swore to me those boats would be there til the day they closed the UO doors.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're talking about 3D games that don't have a fixed camera, which is pretty much everything post EQ. They have their pros and cons. A next-gen UO would play 3D fixed ISO. I don't think I've played any MMO with a fixed ISO, though.

Here's a great thread regarding the topic of cams, the advantages and disadvantages.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I respectfully disagree that graphics should be highest priority on the list of improvements. UO can never compete with modern games on that front.
I believe if UO were to do an honest to God revamp to graphics like Aion or other similar MMO's have, instead of a half-assed 3-d client and keep it's sandbox theme, skills, abilities and all the other wonderful things that make UO what it is (other than an antiquated CC and EC client) and then add some advertising in the mix, this game would not only compete but flourish again. There would only be one client to update and program for and all the kids would have a reason to try it at the least. My kids won't even touch it because "it's ugly" lmao...it maybe ugly but it sure beats WoW or other cartoon-like MMO cookie cutter templates.

I have tried so many games looking for something modern (graphically) AND UOish and have failed to find it which keeps me coming back to at least the sandbox feature and other unique factors that are UO. It doesn't mean I like the graphics. 15 years ago they were amazing but now...meh. Don't get me wrong I love UO or I wouldn't even be wasting time typing how I feel about the game. It could be better if the funds and the desire to do so were there.

At any rate, Happy early 15th Ultima! It is quite an accomplishment to say the very least. =)

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
TBH, I don't think so, can't really go into details but the CC gets lots of new players just fine...it's the gameplay and cost that's the issue. UO is pretty much the most expensive MMO to play on the market, and by a good margin...and frankly the game is simply just "not fun" for a new player to start out in anymore so about the only people who stick around with UO are those of us who have been around a long time and nostalgia brings us back from time to time, and the total pixel crack addicts, 9/10 new players I see are gone within a week never to be seen again, basicly after the realization kicks in that there's nothing to really do and many things that there are can take repeating literally for hundreds of hours to see results.

Back to thread topic though, while harpsichords are cool and all, the lids still bug me, the shading is all wrong and the coloring is kinda ugly on most of them (though I think it's more of how they're coloring them then how the base image looked). The keyboard is fine just the top doesn't look right....like someone put a spotlight over it after dumping on a bucket of paint.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
TBH, I don't think so, can't really go into details but the CC gets lots of new players just fine...it's the... cost that's the issue. UO is pretty much the most expensive MMO to play on the market, and by a good margin....
Um. Hardly.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So please explain where people think faction arties will be Fel only. Maybe they will only work in Faction Cities and Faction Strongholds LOL

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.....At some point, if UO doesn't pick up new players, it will die. I'd rather changes be made to keep it alive. I took a break, and let me tell you, when I came back to UO last year, it was like a kick to the **** seeing how low the populations had dropped. I think a lot of people who think everything is okay don't have that perspective.
I completely agree with Woodsman here. I've been active ingame and here for over a decade now, and the focus should be on whatever content will draw new blood. Period.

Just sayin.......
:confused:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Graphics may not be a make or break deal for some of us but like it or not it is a big deal for a lot of the current gamers out there. If UO were to create a really good client with great up-to-date graphics it would certainly draw in many curious gamers (assuming it was advertised). Even with all the bugs and unbalance everyone complains about a good graphics client would draw in a good number of players.

However that would require EA to actually put money into the development. So yeah, that won't happen. *hopes it does happen*

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tried so many games looking for something modern (graphically) AND UOish and have failed to find it which keeps me coming back to at least the sandbox feature and other unique factors that are UO.
So to further derail this thread, I finally tried out Drakensang. I forget who mentioned it to me, probably Woodsman. It's a f2p 3D iso browser game. It has PvP which seems separate from PvM as well as instanced dungeons for parties. It's kind of like Diablo III lite, I'd imagine. It's 3D, requires skill shots, all that. Fixed cam. Not bad. Made it to LVL 6 and now they want me to buy more backpack slots because my inventory is full ;).

T

Takeamada

Finally my Lurch and Liberace characters will be happy ! * laughs * If only there was a candleabra on the top it woud be perfect.
I neer care about rare colors. I just hope I do not get the blue one. A lovely anniversary gift indeed.
There is, if you can make the Gargoyle Candelabra

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pixel crack as a piano?
They are giving the most broken class (gargoyles) the ability to have faction mace and shields? Like they needed them?
Does anyone really believe they know what their doing anymore?

Your all cheering LOL!
People really believe pixel crack will bring in more players? LOL! Please PLEASE cite an example where this worked.
UO has quickly become a game where i had 6 accounts but now i ask myself why I pay for 1.
It's not like gargoyles didn't have access to faction M&S glasses before, you think alteration is new? Plus the last 2 or 3 (or maybe even all) Anniversary gifts have been pixel crack, if you think it's meant to be a lure for new players instead of a small reward for existing ones then you are clearly mistaken.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not like gargoyles didn't have access to faction M&S glasses before, you think alteration is new? Plus the last 2 or 3 (or maybe even all) Anniversary gifts have been pixel crack, if you think it's meant to be a lure for new players instead of a small reward for existing ones then you are clearly mistaken.
Nope - faction M&S glasses aren't new - but the lifespan and moonbound properties sure are.
Anniversary gifts = something nice to have, but not game altering. Only for 7th and 8th anniversaries has that been deviated from. Before that we had bells and cakes etc.

S

Sevin0oo0

So please explain where people think faction arties will be Fel only.
I don't think Fel only, just they would wear faster when not under Fel's moon, they take no damage in Fel, other than what's related to Lifespan, which continues, regardless of faucet.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a 15 Year Vet Myself... I know you from the good ole naked Halberd Swing mage days Madrid... & BD (Black Dragons) & I'll just say this. I've been playing BF3 alot & the 1st thing I did was crank the graphics down as LOW as they would go. Sure pretty is nice, but speed / FPS etc is nicer still. CONTENT makes a game for me more so than eye candy. I played SKYRIM for awhile & it is / was very pretty, but it grew repetitive which in 15 Years UO has not for me...... I agree that NEW players for UO would be a godsend, but I highly doubt a REDO of the client is a possiblity, so I'm not going to hold my breath.....

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a 15 Year Vet Myself... I know you from the good ole naked Halberd Swing mage days Madrid... & BD (Black Dragons) & I'll just say this. I've been playing BF3 alot & the 1st thing I did was crank the graphics down as LOW as they would go. Sure pretty is nice, but speed / FPS etc is nicer still. CONTENT makes a game for me more so than eye candy. I played SKYRIM for awhile & it is / was very pretty, but it grew repetitive which in 15 Years UO has not for me...... I agree that NEW players for UO would be a godsend, but I highly doubt a REDO of the client is a possiblity, so I'm not going to hold my breath.....
Thanks vexxed for remembering BD…just the mention of the name brings a smile and wonderful memories. When I think of Ultima Online those are the days I always remember and cherish. It was the best gaming time I have ever had. PvP was awesome in those days and I feel for those who were not around to experience PvP in those days with the precasting tank mages. Jousting with Halberds and a quick switch to a fast weapon (Katana) when up close. There was an incredible amount of skill involved in PvP those days.

What I advocate more than anything is high resolution. Going from KR to EC was a huge drop in terms of high resolution. It is a total step in the wrong direction…

While I am not a fan of the 3D games and have no desire to play a 3D game those games, 3D games are the ones that seem to draw in the most players and are financially successful. What Ultima Online needs is a client that has both the isometric view and the 3D perspective with high resolution (i.e. Titan Quest) that gives players the option of how they want the game to look and feel when they play. I want to play the Isometric view and do many players who want UO to stay the same however having the option for the 3D view opens up the possibility to bring in all new types of players who prefer that look.

How else is Ultima Online going to draw in new players? Certainly not the way the game looks today.

See Argh’s post above and about the kids will not play UO because it looks “ugly”. If that’s not telling I don’t know what is…”out of the mouths of drunks and babes come the truth.”

UO already has the content, which is why so many of us still stick around. It is possible for UO to both content and great graphics.

Given what we’ve seen the course of the year your probably correct that nothing like this is ever going to happen in terms of high resolution however I’ll continue to raise hell and lobby for high resolution which I firmly believe is needed to attract new players as well as keep current players like myself from being drawn to better looking games.

N

nivek6

you have to be joking... why not make somthing that be used? like a badass armor or wep for fighting spawns or what not.. all these years and you guys still make junk **** to put in the game.. thats why your losing players

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you have to be joking... why not make somthing that be used? like a badass armor or wep for fighting spawns or what not.. all these years and you guys still make junk **** to put in the game.. thats why your losing players
These are anniversary gifts. Anniversary gifts are never intended to be free handouts that rival high end weapons/armor. You want bad-ass weapons or armor earn them, go craft them or go do a spawn for one.

S

Sevin0oo0

I'm thinking we are going to see sheet music coming our way?
Wonders about the limited time availability of some tunes, and the "RNG" used for selections. Wonders if they're numbered?
If it's another gears mess, I'll probably pass - I still haven't gotten all of the Dawn's gears - what's up wit dat? it's been a couple years now i think.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Possibly they may be gained by other means than killing mobs?
I'm tempted to say given as a reward from grateful, cured, gargoyles, but that might mean the supply would dry up once the event arc is completed.
A quest reward perhaps?