• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should they change the Blackthorn dungeon so hidden tamers can't get drops?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I went in there for the first time yesterday and saw two rooms with a dragon killing low level creatures and no tamer in sight. Probably was more of them, I didn't look around much.

It just makes it way too easy for them to sit there all day and not have to do anything themselves, and you can't do anything about it in Tram.

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This is one area that UO should copy WoW. In Warcraft on a ranger,if you send in your pet and you don't do any damage yourself,you lose looting rights. It should be the same way here. It's too easy to "all kill".

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think the tamer itself should have to do damage, but I do think all tamers should have to be visible and have to say "all kill" and target any and all creatures they want looting rights from.

Veritas et Sapientia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
You guys worry all too much about what "the other guy" is doing, should be doing, or be allowed to do.

Just go play the game and enjoy it without worrying about how other players enjoy the game.

As virutalhabitat pointed out this is the equivalent of asking for auto-defend to be turned off.

Taming which is arguably the hardest skill in UO to raise should have some rewards and this includes their pets being able to auto-defend.

Bunch of cry babies need to go play the game and no worry about how other players enjoy playing UO.

Pathetic.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt anyone's yet seen an AFK dexxer left standing there to kill mages.
Wrong. Go to Hokuto Fel (sometimes tram side if a tamer hasn't got it first) and eventually you will see a blue dexxor afk'r there quite often. There is also a hidden char there that is constantly looping detect hidden right as you enter where the mages are so stealthers are auto revealed.

These are off that afk dexxor:

stolen.JPG

Last edited:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All Kill is fine in this situation. Standing there hidden letting your pet do everything with absolutely no input from you or any risk whatsoever is not. At least a warrior standing there killing mages would have to take some damage and repair equipment eventually.

Also about the throwers in the Underworld, they do it just to train throwing, kind of a different situation.

And Veritas I'm not saying turn off pets auto-defending... Just don't allow the tamer to gain these minor artifacts while invisible. It doesn't matter how much time or effort they spent training taming (they very possibly didn't; skill jewelry exists)

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wrong. Go to Hokuto Fel and eventually you will see a blue dexxor afk'r there quite often. There is also a hidden char there that is constantly looping detect hidden right as you enter where the mages are so stealthers are auto revealed.
i see no issue there that other players can't fix

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I say, only make the arties drop in fel

mwahahahahaha

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt anyone's yet seen an AFK dexxer left standing there to kill mages.
Come to mage room on LS at night. One of the three regulars will be there.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wrong. Go to Hokuto Fel (sometimes tram side if a tamer hasn't got it first) and eventually you will see a blue dexxor afk'r there quite often. There is also a hidden char there that is constantly looping detect hidden right as you enter where the mages are so stealthers are auto revealed.

These are off that afk dexxor:

View attachment 19079
Now that's pretty funny. I didn't think anyone in UO would be so, shall I say, cavalier about Felucca.

But as Ender said, there is a player solution. And doesn't anyone ever page?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Paging never does anything.

Also last time I tried it you were asked to target the player. Kind of a no can do situation there.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I go in with my myst / stealther... cast RC on balrons...and hide... - so that means I should fall into same catagory... I cant get a drop cuz I am using hiding`?

I think this is a bad idea.
Possibly. But I was also thinking that since summons don't last forever that they'll be allowed.

Or just require tamers to say "all kill" and leave it at that.

I'm not a dev, I don't know. There's some sort of fix to be made though.

Veritas et Sapientia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Come to mage room on LS at night. One of the three regulars will be there.
And your complaining?

"Quick! Quick! Come to X shard at Y time so you can see Z doing this or that. Hurry everyone!".:rolleyes:

What do you want to see an empty dungeon on every shard. An empty game?

Be happy players are playing UO at all and that they're enjoying the new dungeon.

You have no idea whether or not a player is afk.

I sit and auto-defend in the same spot for long hours and players think I'm afk. I get lured on regularly by players trying to kill me because they believe just by looking at my sprite that I'm unattended simply because it's been in one spot for a long long time.

I love sitting there auto-defending while watching The Curse of Oak Island at the same time. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not a new thing, it has excisted for a long time - I dont see why to change it. It is a few players that do it - so why impact the whole community that has different play styles?

They could impliment that pets loose loyalty. But any other changes will just corrupt the tamer community.

As long the tamer is in sight, even if he is hidden - he is there. Some are attending at screen, just dont wanna talk to other players like in many other scenarios in game.

Beside, the drop rate is very slow - so I dont see why to make a big deal out of it. It is not hard for another player to lure that pet out of the room and take over the spawn if the tamer is afk.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt having to say all kill close to 700x to get one artifact is worth it..I'll just bring my sampire down..easy enough..I'm all for this ridiculous change the OP or whoever suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veritas et Sapientia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Let's change the name of this thread to :

"You shouldn't be allowed to play a Stealth Tamer in Castle Blackthorn"

Please Devs remove the ability to create a stealth tamer template in UO.:rolleyes:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let's change the name of this thread to :

"You shouldn't be allowed to play a Stealth Tamer in Castle Blackthorn"

Please Devs remove the ability to create a stealth tamer template in UO.:rolleyes:
Again not saying that. Do you feel threatened by this or something?

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think anyone is threatened it's just stupid..

Should we remove whirlwind on weapons because it makes sampires collect pinkies faster?

Should we remove rising colossus because it's BS in general that it does 5x the amount of damage my 2 EV's can do?

I think it boils down to the fact, you feel butthurt that every time you go to "legally" farm the castle for an obscene amount of hours to gain 100 artifacts, that some stealth tamer has "your" room occupied. So you come to the forums to stomp your feet, in your adult temper tantrum form..

Its a simple solution..

-Page (we need more people banned..pop is too high)

-Lure Balrons (Hey if they are afk..what are they going to do page on you..that's like a drug dealer calling the police when someone steals his stash)

-Go to a different room

-Come yo Stratics and declare it unfair and demand a hotfix

Granted we already know your stance..just figured if throw some options out there.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I already go kill balrons instead, good try though...

Veritas et Sapientia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

No I don't feel threatened. I love UO and learn to adapt the majority of the time.

What I do find annoying is in a game that I love and which needs more players we have 'other' players pancakes and moaning about how other players are enjoying the game.

Here is the kicker. Didn't you just return to playing UO about a week ago (I'm pretty sure I saw your post about "returning to UO")?

So you've been gone for a lengthy amount of time, and return for what? One week and crying about what other players are doing in the game i.e clamoring for nonsense changes that effect other players.

Yeah I get annoyed with the "So and So is doing this threads we have here on stratics".

We have a 15 year old game with antiquated graphics and a declining playerbase and yet we still get players complaining about what the other guy is doing.:rolleyes:

Gimme a friggin' break.

The two shards I'm active on are a no mans land compared to what they once were. I accidently recalled to one of my old house locations and ran around. The place used to be filled with houses and neighbors. Now I can run screens and screens before I even find a house.

Just be happy people are playing this game at all.

People go play the game and enjoy it while it lasts (which hopefully is alot longer).

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Detect Hidden doesn't work in Tram.

And do we just ignore the rules of the game now because nobody plays it? Or did they make unattended gameplay legal?
No don't ignore the rules..but there's nothing stopping me from afk throwing colossus in a self repair suit..with a medic script..NOTHING...so why complain about stealth tamers? And for the record I just threw hiding on my tamer..no stealth :D

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is one area that UO should copy WoW. In Warcraft on a ranger,if you send in your pet and you don't do any damage yourself,you lose looting rights. It should be the same way here. It's too easy to "all kill".
I liked that idea for a little bit. But then something occurred to me. The difference between the WoW and UO "tamers" are that some tamers in UO rely entirely on their pets to do the damage for them with the remaining skills being put towards keeping their pet alive, traveling (magery without eval), crafting, and so on.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No don't ignore the rules..but there's nothing stopping me from afk throwing colossus in a self repair suit..with a medic script..NOTHING...so why complain about stealth tamers? And for the record I just threw hiding on my tamer..no stealth :D

So... ignore the rules because they're not enforced

Sounds like UO alright

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No matter what aspect you look at in game, most things can be done afk or with help of illegal programs - I dont see why this is so much important. When I go down there to hunt, I go do the captains for to get the minax if there is enough peoples. But - if I choose to go hunt balrons, id like to have the same chance of getting an artie even if im hidden on my char. That is cuz she has no resist, and if balron targets me - I'm dead.

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same thread from Treasures of Tokuno events, just now it's a different dungeon.

I don't think a stealth tamer is taking anything away from me.

-Stealth tamer characters are legal templates.
-There is no limit on how many artifacts drop in one day.
-I have just as much right to a spawn area as does anybody else, attended or otherwise.
-I can sit my character template of choice in the same room and steal share the spawn.
-I can build a stealth tamer template and do the same thing they are doing.
-I can go do something entirely else and still enjoy the game.

The game mechanics should NOT be changed just because someone has found an easy way to farm a spawn.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
To see if the Tamer in question is AFK just go in there and actively start killing. I do this quite often. Usually brings out the tamer who often gets very ticked at me. However in my opinion as a Tamer if you aren't going to direct your pet its not my problem then if I do and take all the spawn or a vast Majority before you can. Cry me a river while I get the drops.

However if you get off your lazy behind and start commanding your pet I might give you the room back otherwise you don't deserve it end of story.

As for the AFK business that is true AFK there is NO way to reveal them in Tram. You can however go down there with a tracker and find out what their name is and type it in....

Also it's been widely known for YEARS that many folk sit not only AFK but running gold gathering scripts in the cave near Trinsic killing Troglodites. Not much has ever been done about that either and most of them are some sort of sampire mixture.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also noticed sampire in the golden earth elemental room with slayer wepon, standing there for hrs afk killing them with 1 - 2 hits. Its a self healing setup, as he only need to go in, and will be healed on every hit he makes.

Should that too be illegal?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm, well maybe they should just do away with Direct-to-pack drops (make "direct-to-pack" drops EM event & boss/peerless' only)... Then If you see someone afk after that, it's safe to say they're using a looting script of sorts otherwise there wouldn't be a benefit to farming anything afk,

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they're afk? yeah
Just go about your business, nothing really hurting you. Nothing will change. If you stop tamers then they will use sampires or dexxers using scripts to whirlwind and insure items they get.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
To see if the Tamer in question is AFK just go in there and actively start killing. I do this quite often. Usually brings out the tamer who often gets very ticked at me. However in my opinion as a Tamer if you aren't going to direct your pet its not my problem then if I do and take all the spawn or a vast Majority before you can. Cry me a river while I get the drops.

However if you get off your lazy behind and start commanding your pet I might give you the room back otherwise you don't deserve it end of story.
This.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does invising the pet prevent it from targeting stuff on its own?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
the fact that the person is afk, nullifys all arguments they may have, about anything. they cant claim they enjoy doing it, because their not even there, and ya who doesn't enjoy getting free stuff. I have never seen someone start luring things towards an unattended dragon without first trying to speak to the hidden tamer for at least a minute or two, I'm sure it happens, but not as often as people think.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Easy one. Change the auto log out coding so just seeing names pop up isn't enough, there needs to be some input every so often.
With uo assis you can make a easy macro that will continue for hrs before it ends. Record a macro, open backpack - 100 times, put in wait 5 mins between each try...and starting the macro will last for 500 minutes...

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With uo assis you can make a easy macro that will continue for hrs before it ends. Record a macro, open backpack - 100 times, put in wait 5 mins between each try...and starting the macro will last for 500 minutes...
Fine then, apparently no arties for people hidden the entire time is the best solution.