• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Seriously Devs? Pet's spirit cohesion on top of...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This. But it does more or less force us to pay for two accounts instead of one, doesn't it?
Yea, but how many of us only maintain 1 account these days anyways? I hear about people with 10-20 accounts. I have to figure most people have 2-3.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Simple solution -> Vet skill.
It's the price of having an independent fighting partner to deal and take damage. Now if they wanted to roll Vet into healing that would be fine. Either way neither gold, nor skill loss is any real impact on the tamers gameplay. Its like choosing pots as the only way to heal. There's a timer on those. Wouldn't mind if those were 10 mins as well.
Logrus I get that, but what about the Dexxer with the bonded Llama, or Swamp Dragon? These guys aren't using their pets as fighting partners, though the Swampy will absorb some damage, they are also strongly effected by this timer.

I agree tamers should run Vet, but for Dexxers or Mages?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is that this isn't about tamers without vererinary...at all.
Actually it is about tamers without vet. When the system doesn't differentiate between those players who aren't tamers and those who are, you can't make changes to just enhance play for non-tamers. This is why I didn't like this system when it arrived. This is why I would not support removing or reducing the timer as things stand now, because it will give tamers an easy ride they don't deserve.
If you're playing at off-peak hours, or on one of the deader shards (god forbid both), you're basically losing 10+ mins of play time. For a lot of people, they'll just log off annoyed. If that happens repeatedly, they'll log on less.
Or those players can keep spare pets in the stable, use ethys or just go make a cuppa while they wait. You can leave a dead pet at the vets and take out a spare pet. Leave the dead one behind while you hunt for a bit with the spare, then return to complete the rez later. Or just stay wherever you were hunting while your pet is a ghost, then go to town after the pet's been dead 10 minutes and get an instant rez. Use your ethy while you're still hunting.

Wenchy

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Keeping the timer around for the unfortunately flawed and outdated purpose of player/tamer interaction just makes no sense anymore. Especially as it pertains to other opportunities to supposedly increase player interaction.
It's not just player interaction that requires this delay.
Why have npc player healers with no delay?
Because no class becomes overpowered because they can resurrect instantly. With NPC vets, instant rez = overpowered tamers.
More to the point; why have crafting repair deeds with no delay? Thats the big one folks so please spare me the interaction nonsense. Their used to be huge groups of crafters that loved to hang around a forge and help/interact.
See above, no template becomes overpowered because they can repair instantly. So no delay is needed.

Wenchy

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find it difficult to understand the reasoning of those arguing for a retention of the NPC delay.

For a start I would doubt very much if those most affected by this obsolete requirement are players with fighting pets but rather those newer players who use real rather than ethy mounts. These are the players we should be encouraging so they continue with UO not demonstrating some anachronistic delay of yesteryear. I support the removal of it for reasons, none of which actually concern me these days as I have a Legendary Tamer if I use fighting pets and I keep a stock of Elixirs should I need one for any reason.

Firstly a player having an NPC rez his pet/mount pays a penalty of stat loss (greater than that for those that can rez their own).
There is also a charge for the Service. The imposition of a delay as well delay is excessive and unnecessary.
I see one offered suggestion is that the player should learn Vet, really?, seriously?, a player who is still using a mount is probably still struggling to get enough Magery to heal himself let a lone enough Veterinary to rez his mount.
The objective of the way the game is played should be to make it enjoyable and logical, the logic that lays behind this delay has long since dissipated. The reason for it has long gone, the delay should follow suit. I feel sure that it must be newer players who encounter this unnecessary problem most frequently, if we were trying to discourage them this would be an excellent way to start.

This thread is of course not the first to propose the removal of the delay, each time it is posted the reasoning is more valid than the last as the player base decreases. Unfortunately I suspect that like those previously this post will fall on deaf ears.

If your a new player. Then this is the world you know and don't live in the past.

In the past other players would stand at a city forge for hours to assist other players. Why? Other players made it worth their while.

Pet stat loss, "Ohhhhhh Nooooz my ride/packy is weaker vs slasher now!" Other shoe>>>>>>>>>>>> My tamer's fighting pet died and is suffering NPC rez stat loss, W T F ? (1) Real tamers can rez their own pets and others are hybrid tamers that may suck at some point. (2) Your pet bit off more then it could chew and claw it's way out of. (3) As the brains of the operation "Tamer" chalk it up as a learning experience.

If when the vendor search is working. You can not find any pet rez potions. There might be a market to earn some gold. Failing sales due to most tamers have rez ability. New players never heard of a pet rezzing potion let alone able to identify what it does from a vendor search. Also load of experienced player also don't know or forgot about it.

The world is in balance. Stop trying to find a place to plug in another Easy Button.

Last edited:

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your a new player. Then this is the world you know and don't live in the past.
So this really reads - So lets make it even harder for them by keeping some archaic delay that is long past its sell by date and for which they will be unable to see the reason for. In the past there was some justification for it, now, I have failed to see even ONE good reason given for keeping it in the game. All I see is an obsolete timer that is just an nuisance to others.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because no class becomes overpowered because they can resurrect instantly. With NPC vets, instant rez = overpowered tamers.
Wenchy
Err Tamers with Veterinary CAN resurrect instantly does that make them all overpowered?.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Logrus I get that, but what about the Dexxer with the bonded Llama, or Swamp Dragon? These guys aren't using their pets as fighting partners, though the Swampy will absorb some damage, they are also strongly effected by this timer.

I agree tamers should run Vet, but for Dexxers or Mages?
With non-combat related mounts running under 1k gold from the animal trainer vendor, I don't see how the argument about "non-tamers " is really relevant, and the same goes for new players. Bonded pets are a convenience offered to the community to compete with things like ethereals and no-loss of items on death. Not a replacement for those things. If you are just out for a mount, you don't actually need a bonded pet.
If your mount is dying often enough that a 10 minute timer is bothering you, then you must be doing something very wrong. There is just simply no scenario, that when put forward is more than a minor inconvenience for anyone not trying to circumvent investing skill points.

I rather like @Wenchy's idea of only requiring vet to res combat effective pets. But I highly doubt anyone complaining about the timer is really dragging a dead llama behind them because they cant find a res.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But I highly doubt anyone complaining about the timer is really dragging a dead llama behind them because they cant find a res.
I'm guessing it's the VvV with their combat mounts that are the squeakiest wheels...la

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Err Tamers with Veterinary CAN resurrect instantly does that make them all overpowered?.
No, because they have to commit points into vet and animal lore before they can resurrect. If you commit say 300 to 360 skill points just to your taming skills, you're restricted in what else you can fit into that template. If you can free up one of those skill slots for something else then you can make a much stronger tamer.

Wenchy

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree so much with @Wenchkin, that is many value points - and true ones.

Its the matter of choosing template, and have a backup plan. If its a tamer, then he have to either invest in the skills or suffer in defeats. If its a pvp or pvm - they have to get a backup plan. Use a ethy for 10 mins, buy a horse for 566 gp, use another pet for 10 mins...buy the elexcire... Or get vet or a friend that has...

The system is actually perfectly fine as it is.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually it is about tamers without vet. When the system doesn't differentiate between those players who aren't tamers and those who are, you can't make changes to just enhance play for non-tamers. This is why I didn't like this system when it arrived. This is why I would not support removing or reducing the timer as things stand now, because it will give tamers an easy ride they don't deserve.

Or those players can keep spare pets in the stable, use ethys or just go make a c

See above, no template becomes overpowered because they can repair instantly. So no delay is needed.

Wenchy
uppa while they wait. You can leave a dead pet at the vets and take out a spare pet. Leave the dead one behind while you hunt for a bit with the spare, then return to complete the rez later. Or just stay wherever you were hunting while your pet is a ghost, then go to town after the pet's been dead 10 minutes and get an instant rez. Use your ethy while you're still hunting.

Wenchy

Wenchy

Wenchy
Makes no sense at all and you seem to have personal taming/template issues that bias your opinions on the matter.
Every class and every template style has trade offs based upon chosen skills. Adding archaic and multi purpose delays is not the answer.
The timer in no way makes tamers with vet less powerful as compared to their counterpart tamers without vet when it comes to rezzing pets and that is the heart of this discussion.
If a tamer chooses to run his template without vet he is at a severe disadvantage as far as rezzing his pets is concerned as he has to leave the fight and pay for a pet rezz that costs gold and has increased skill loss. The delay is a ridiculous triple penalty that is not consistent with npc player rezzes so makes no sense at all in that respect. Nobody is winning or losing battles based upon tamers getting back from the stables quicker with fresh rezzed pets. And that is how it should be.
Have you even considered the fact that stat loss on players is now half the freaking time as a freaking pet rezz? Seriously? This is how you want to balance your precious old school tamer?
Let players tweak their taming templates as they see fit. Nobody is running any overpowered and unfair templates so why the timer?

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So this really reads - So lets make it even harder for them by keeping some archaic delay that is long past its sell by date and for which they will be unable to see the reason for. In the past there was some justification for it, now, I have failed to see even ONE good reason given for keeping it in the game. All I see is an obsolete timer that is just an nuisance to others.

By that even the ability to rez pets is way past it's fresh date. Ahh the gold I made selling ostard and horse at WBB. I think repairing armor and insuring has out done it's welcome as well. Really how easy does the game need to be before it is fun? It has been way to long that some of my accounts have been forced to live off a boat due to the lack of housing.

Get a fresh drink and make a PB&J. Let the dogs out for a piss. Then the NPC vet should be ready.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By that even the ability to rez pets is way past it's fresh date. Ahh the gold I made selling ostard and horse at WBB. I think repairing armor and insuring has out done it's welcome as well. Really how easy does the game need to be before it is fun? It has been way to long that some of my accounts have been forced to live off a boat due to the lack of housing.

Get a fresh drink and make a PB&J. Let the dogs out for a piss. Then the NPC vet should be ready.
Interesting that you should mention repairing armour - Yes I remember well the Smiths that used to be at the Blacksmiths in Britain - always helpful and cheerful. Back then getting armour repaired was easy enough but, as time went on the smiths began to leave one by one until today the Smithy is totally deserted and has been for ages. So the game moved on. In came repair deeds to take up the slack (these are instant by the way). Perhaps it should have been suggested that players all learn Blacksmithing to repair their own in the same way that it has been suggested that they learn Vet to overcome the delay. In the same context it is harder these days to find a Vet to res a pet, but here the game has NOT moved on, the antediluvian delay remains serving no useful purpose.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Makes no sense at all and you seem to have personal taming/template issues that bias your opinions on the matter.
You might not care about balancing the game beyond the NPC vet but some of us do. I didn't agree with the system we got and I want it changed. But changing one issue and creating several other ones is daft.
The timer in no way makes tamers with vet less powerful as compared to their counterpart tamers without vet when it comes to rezzing pets and that is the heart of this discussion.
This is exactly the problem with this discussion. Or rather how you want to hold it. You are not playing in an isolated bubble. Changes made to the vet NPCs affect the game beyond you.
If a tamer chooses to run his template without vet he is at a severe disadvantage as far as rezzing his pets is concerned as he has to leave the fight and pay for a pet rezz that costs gold and has increased skill loss. The delay is a ridiculous triple penalty that is not consistent with npc player rezzes so makes no sense at all in that respect. Nobody is winning or losing battles based upon tamers getting back from the stables quicker with fresh rezzed pets. And that is how it should be.
You forgot to allow for tactical logging out by said tamer, their pets aren't dying as much as you suggest ;) As I said before, I don't believe a fighting pet should be resurrected by these NPCs, and if that had been the original design I'd have supported reducing the timer for non-tamers. But you can't just remove the timer from the current system without breaking stuff elsewhere.

Wenchy

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Nobody is winning or losing battles based upon tamers getting back from the stables quicker with fresh rezzed pets. And that is how it should be.
May I ask if you have come across many PVP tamers?? Cause having them have insta res for pets, would deffo mean they will be overpowered, Try fight a high rated Bane Dragon/Dreadmare, one time after the other.... Trust me, you are gonna probably lose....

I do agree that the timer is excessive, maybe reduce it down to 3 mins instead of 10, But a complete take out, could unbalance stuff.....

I started by saying on another post to take it out, but the more I read and think it about, I come to the conclusion that maybe a reduction in the timer would be better than a complete take out of the timer.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May I ask if you have come across many PVP tamers?? Cause having them have insta res for pets, would deffo mean they will be overpowered, Try fight a high rated Bane Dragon/Dreadmare, one time after the other.... Trust me, you are gonna probably lose....

I do agree that the timer is excessive, maybe reduce it down to 3 mins instead of 10, But a complete take out, could unbalance stuff.....

I started by saying on another post to take it out, but the more I read and think it about, I come to the conclusion that maybe a reduction in the timer would be better than a complete take out of the timer.
Huh?
I fight very good pvp tamers on Atl every day.
Using the npc vet to insta rezz would not make the actual pvp tamer any more powerful at all.
It would ofc not increase the actual power of the template.
It would simply mean that his pet got rezzed quicker after i killed it. How is that more powerful? Because it getting back into the fight quicker does not make it more powerful or imbalanced one iota and anyone that thinks that is just plain daft and has no clue about pvp imo (field or spawn)
A tamer with vet is a million times more powerful in that respect at a spawn as he can rezz pets instantly and on the spot.
I understand where a couple people are coming from on the imbalance issue but they simply are not looking at it correctly.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The nature of pets in combat is simply that they allow the player a mechanism for dealing and taking damage which not only allows them to shift the risk, but also allows them to act independently while their pet is fighting. Depending on the pet they can easily deal damage at a rate similar to players, and definitely take anywhere from 4 to 10+ as much damage as a player. Players can heal their pet using at least 4 skills which offer other utility to the owner which has nothing to do with the pet. The one differentiator between Vet and any other skill is the ability to res creatures at will.
Personally I'd say make the statloss 33% and temporary for 10 mins, and remove the prevention to res. Though that still allows players to completely forego the vet skill and get back into the fighting immediately albeit less effectively.
Don't suppose any pet user would be in favor of leashing pets to them where when pets lose line of sight they stop fighting, or if the tamer disconnects dead the pet automatically dies and is autostabled as a ghost.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know a few tamers that want to invest the vet skill points in other points, they feel fine with healing up with magery. I know a lot of fighters that use swamp dragons cuz they take away damage while fighting.

It all comes down to the investment in skills or preperations and a backup plan if murpheys law enters the area. For the tamers, they have to find another tamer to rez for them or take the wait time, for the fighters - they do the same thing.

I see no reason to change this! For the tamers, it is their investment in other skills that give them a draw back - for the fighters they can get on a horse or a ethy, it wont destroy their gameplay at all...they just take a bit more damage.

Vet is a skill, and all my tamers have 120 in it as real skill point - why should I not benefit from investing my points in that instead of something else? Fighters benefit from 120 bushido, you think a paladin should have same benefits without the 120 bushido? Or, if I got 110 mage i can cast deadly poison - as a gm poisoner with gm mage can???

It is balanced, and the game offers different ways to res pets. I dont think this is more to discuss - it comes down to make it most easy and not doing anything to keep play in a sandbox.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm afraid I have to agree with Goldberg-Chessy on this one... Ooo that leaves a BAD taste in my mouth...

But the fact is having a pet rez instantly does NOTHING to make them overpowered... as a fighter or a mage you all REZ instantly at the nearest HEALER.... A Tamer would have to run not only to the nearest healer but then the nearest vet.... get themselves up.. their pet up.... then back in the fight... again that's NOT any more or less powerful than anyone else.

That argument is the DUMBEST thing I have EVER heard. This is no different than a mage without Eval.... a Tamer without Vet is just as inferior as a Mage with NO EVAL. He can't quickly in 2 or 4 seconds vet his pet from half to full health.... he'd have to spam Greater Heal and that wouldn't do much for healing it heals like 4% of health on a Greater. So again... your argument is stupid. It in no way overpowers anyone or anything to have a pet rez instantly. It's not like he can wander off into the woods grab the nearest wandering healer and get him AND his pet back up.... NO unlike you when you die... he has to get himself back up and then Run off or recall away to the nearest town with a vet and get the pet rezed too before he can come back into the fight..... so you tell me how this in ANY way makes him overpowered?

Because a fighter already has EVERYTHING they need the instant they rez..... a mage has EVERYTHING they need besides Mana the INSTANT they rez out in the field with a WANDERING HEALER. Which is CLOSE BY. Where the Tamer once again has to recall away to get his "weapon" back up. So once again tell me where this is overpowered... and not the dumbest argument EVER heard. Not only will he get his "weapon" back.... but it'll be suffering a LOSS. Your weapon isn't going to be any less powerfull when you re-arm it... a mage isn't going to suddenly be any less powerful when they rez..... With Stat loss and such figured in ALL of you will be less powerful... So... tell me once again where this makes a tamer "overpowered". I'm not seeing it. What I am seeing is class hatred. Plain and simple.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know a few tamers that want to invest the vet skill points in other points, they feel fine with healing up with magery. I know a lot of fighters that use swamp dragons cuz they take away damage while fighting.

It all comes down to the investment in skills or preperations and a backup plan if murpheys law enters the area. For the tamers, they have to find another tamer to rez for them or take the wait time, for the fighters - they do the same thing.

I see no reason to change this! For the tamers, it is their investment in other skills that give them a draw back - for the fighters they can get on a horse or a ethy, it wont destroy their gameplay at all...they just take a bit more damage.

Vet is a skill, and all my tamers have 120 in it as real skill point - why should I not benefit from investing my points in that instead of something else? Fighters benefit from 120 bushido, you think a paladin should have same benefits without the 120 bushido? Or, if I got 110 mage i can cast deadly poison - as a gm poisoner with gm mage can???

It is balanced, and the game offers different ways to res pets. I dont think this is more to discuss - it comes down to make it most easy and not doing anything to keep play in a sandbox.
You are completely missing the point.
Having vet on your template still gives you an advantage. It is your choice. The tamer without vet is not superior to you because of his other skills.
The funniest part of this whole nonsense is that the couple of tamers wanting to keep the delay are using examples that pertain to specific tamer vs tamer scenarios and that just does not happen that often. They are scared of what if the timer is removed? The tamer choosing to forego vet will own them or rule spawns with his other skills? Lol at that.

Please explain to me exactly how you personally are not getting the benefit of your vet skills because another tamer chooses to not have vet? The other tamer not having vet magically causes your bandages to slip or you to not be able to insta-rezz lol?
It's absurd. You are ofc still getting the ability to heal with bandies and insta-rezz. While the other tamer has to leave the fight, find an npc vet and take an extra bit of skill loss.

The basis of this whole issue is a weird template envy because traditional template tamers think they are a special class lol. It really is kinda sad

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But the fact is having a pet rez instantly does NOTHING to make them overpowered... as a fighter or a mage you all REZ instantly at the nearest HEALER.... A Tamer would have to run not only to the nearest healer but then the nearest vet.... get themselves up.. their pet up.... then back in the fight... again that's NOT any more or less powerful than anyone else.
The instant pet rez isn't the bit that overpowers the tamer, it's just a feature that makes them feel comfortable replacing vet skill for another more powerful skill. It's adding in extra skills that make the tamer stronger and potentially overpowered. Just as it does when a PvP tamer replaces vet with something offensive. NPC vets are a backup option tamers can rely on when they need to. Making it faster makes it more attractive. It encourages more tamers to drop vet because they can survive without it. It doesn't take a genius to work out that being careful and employing the log-out trick cuts your pet deaths down to a level where you aren't spending ages getting all rezzed. I've been a tamer for well over a decade, I do know how it works and how viable zero vet is these days :)
That argument is the DUMBEST thing I have EVER heard. This is no different than a mage without Eval.... a Tamer without Vet is just as inferior as a Mage with NO EVAL. He can't quickly in 2 or 4 seconds vet his pet from half to full health.... he'd have to spam Greater Heal and that wouldn't do much for healing it heals like 4% of health on a Greater. So again... your argument is stupid. It in no way overpowers anyone or anything to have a pet rez instantly. It's not like he can wander off into the woods grab the nearest wandering healer and get him AND his pet back up.... NO unlike you when you die... he has to get himself back up and then Run off or recall away to the nearest town with a vet and get the pet rezed too before he can come back into the fight..... so you tell me how this in ANY way makes him overpowered?
Seeing is believing. It can work if you have the right template and know how to use it. Greater dragons are pretty tough tanks. Of course having vet and magery gives you more defensive protection for your pets, but even my zero med tamers can chain enough greater heals to keep a GD alive when they need to.
What I am seeing is class hatred. Plain and simple.
Class hatred? Well I'm the tamer forum moderator so guess which is my favourite template lol. You wanna accuse me of hating my favourite class, be my guest :) Just because you don't think a template isn't viable doesn't mean another tamer can't make it work. I learned that lesson myself because I didn't think a tamer worked without vet in PvM either. Sometimes enough things change in a game and impossible becomes viable. Some tamers aren't as concerned about skill loss as the next tamer is. Certainly not until the tactical log out is fixed. Then you'll see an appropriate response to pet death and skill loss because some tamers won't be able to circumvent it. But until then any changes to the NPC vets need to be made sensibly in consideration of what tamers can do, so we get a good fix that doesn't require a nerf later on.

Wenchy

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ditto for what Wenchkin said. It is not the Instant res, it is simply the ability to drop Vet and pick up another skill to add to the players arsenal. The argument really has nothing to do with them getting back into the fight, but rather what they can bring ot the fight itself.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The instant pet rez isn't the bit that overpowers the tamer, it's just a feature that makes them feel comfortable replacing vet skill for another more powerful skill. It's adding in extra skills that make the tamer stronger and potentially overpowered. Just as it does when a PvP tamer replaces vet with something offensive. NPC vets are a backup option tamers can rely on when they need to. Making it faster makes it more attractive. It encourages more tamers to drop vet because they can survive without it. It doesn't take a genius to work out that being careful and employing the log-out trick cuts your pet deaths down to a level where you aren't spending ages getting all rezzed. I've been a tamer for well over a decade, I do know how it works and how viable zero vet is these days :)

Seeing is believing. It can work if you have the right template and know how to use it. Greater dragons are pretty tough tanks. Of course having vet and magery gives you more defensive protection for your pets, but even my zero med tamers can chain enough greater heals to keep a GD alive when they need to.

Class hatred? Well I'm the tamer forum moderator so guess which is my favourite template lol. You wanna accuse me of hating my favourite class, be my guest :) Just because you don't think a template isn't viable doesn't mean another tamer can't make it work. I learned that lesson myself because I didn't think a tamer worked without vet in PvM either. Sometimes enough things change in a game and impossible becomes viable. Some tamers aren't as concerned about skill loss as the next tamer is. Certainly not until the tactical log out is fixed. Then you'll see an appropriate response to pet death and skill loss because some tamers won't be able to circumvent it. But until then any changes to the NPC vets need to be made sensibly in consideration of what tamers can do, so we get a good fix that doesn't require a nerf later on.

Wenchy
Didn't say it was you hating... but I still fail to see any legit argument to keeping the timer in... or how it makes a tamer "overpowered". FAIL.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ditto for what Wenchkin said. It is not the Instant res, it is simply the ability to drop Vet and pick up another skill to add to the players arsenal. The argument really has nothing to do with them getting back into the fight, but rather what they can bring ot the fight itself.
The ability is there whether or not folk use it... I could drop it on half my tamers any day of the week.... I still have 3 or 4 more tamers I could log in INSTANTLY and rez my pet with NO penalty... so again.... your point is just hate directed at tamers. The arguments are just in there to try to keep people from making a template they ALREADY make... so again this is a silly moot argument.... it ain't stopping them... it won't stop them and all it REALLY serves to do is waste precious time of those who have other things to do than stand around for 10 min waiting for a pet rez on a shard that has 10 active players on it.

And people wonder why folk don't like posting on the forums and don't like UO. Because other folk who can't see past the ends of their nose just can't get over trying to stop something that's already there. It's not stopping anyone... it's not holding anyone back from doing what you seem to not want folk to do... and it isn't helping the game to keep it as it is. It's not doing what you think it should be doing... and NEVER has. Nor will it. People will make characters with whatever template they want because THAT is what UO is all about.... FREEDOM of CHOICE ...... it's a SANDBOX so get over it.

There are FAR better ways to go about "discouraging" this sort of playstyle... many of which have been mentioned in this post and many more of which would NOT effect the average player and would be MORE targeted to PvP style tamers.... So again.... hop down from whatever soupbox your on... and quit hating on tamers. Get onboard something that would actually effect that so terrible template you are all worried about.

As for folk playing a super awesome tamer with a greater blah blah well hooty... I'm saying dragons are SLOW if you can't outrun them and separate the tamer from his pet then your doing something wrong... if he keeps calling his pet back to him or keeps it on short leash well you joust him not the pet... the dragon isn't going to do squat without the tamer there to tell him what to do... There are dozens of ways to break target and if the tamer has to constantly retarget the pet to you then that is another bonus... There are templates and solutions to every situation... if you can't find what they are then don't PvP. But again don't punish EVERYONE to punish a few. Don't put a cast on a scratch... That's what I'm saying. You wouldn't put a cast on a scratch... You use a bandaide... or just apply a little bit of anti-biotic to kill any infection... Overkill is silly and punishes everyone because you can't deal with a tamer who doesn't run vet. That's their loss and as Wenchkin so eloquently pointed it.... doesn't stop tamers from using it now won't make anyone use it more... just will be used as it has been... but removing it WILL benefit newer players... young players, starting tamers, regular people who's mount dies, and people on low population shards.

You ever hear the phrase The needs of the few or the one do not outweigh the needs of the many? Well this is one of those times when the needs of the ONE are taken over the needs of the Many... and the MANY are suffering and paying the price for the few. And it shouldn't be that way.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The argument is actually in a game that is meant to be fun, what added 'fun' does a ten minute downtime for some people bring. Does it balance some other huge problem with having pets available? Why is it only appropriate for one set of circumstances, and no others? I've never seen any reasoned arguments for those questions, which makes any sort of sensible discussion pretty much impossible....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just take a minute breathe and remember its just a game and this is just an opinion thread on an internet forum.
And I was giving my opinion... which is... that the timer ruins the game for the rest of the players and punishes everyone because someone doesn't like one template or the fact that some tamers don't run with Vet... that's their choice. Why ruin the game for the rest of us and penalize EVERYONE when someone thinks one template is "overpowered" which if it is... then nerf it in a way that doesn't punish everyone else. Which is what I was saying if you took the time to actually READ my post.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No offense but I am fairly certain that everyone against the timer in this thread knew what you and wenchy meant by bringing the extra skills from the start. But that is simply not the point.
Because it really only pertains to pvp tamers and it is a fact that nobody is foregoing vet on their pvp tamer for no other reason then the ability to rezz at an npc vet. There are too many other downsides to using the vet such as getting there with your pet and taking the extra little skill loss. Not huge obstacles but definitely large factors when fighting.
Why would these so called scary overpowered tamers without vet not simply just carry around elixirs to instarezz their pets right at or near the fight?
Or multi client and instrezz their pet? I have been a serious pvper for 15 years and know that anyone else serious has multiple accounts to be more effective and making two tamers is absolutely no big deal at all. Especially with travesty mark and skill jewels.
And if anyone has issue with tamers being able to skip vet on their pvm tamer for some reason that's just plain weird template jealousy and not worth even listening to lol.
It would absolutely be as weird as someone complaining that sampires are unfair because they forego the healing skill by using weapon leeches. Let's penalize them then by making them wait a week to rezz every time they die.

Lastly, I will bring up my main argument again:
How the fark can anyone think it makes sense to impose a pet rezz penalty that is twice as long as player statloss? Seriously?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't say it was you hating... but I still fail to see any legit argument to keeping the timer in... or how it makes a tamer "overpowered". FAIL.
Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it isn't there. It's not my problem if you can't see the potential of an extra skill in the hands of a skilful tamer.
And I was giving my opinion... which is... that the timer ruins the game for the rest of the players and punishes everyone because someone doesn't like one template or the fact that some tamers don't run with Vet... that's their choice. Why ruin the game for the rest of us and penalize EVERYONE when someone thinks one template is "overpowered" which if it is... then nerf it in a way that doesn't punish everyone else. Which is what I was saying if you took the time to actually READ my post.
If a 10 minute timer is ruining your game, you need to find another game or regain some perspective.

You are not being penalised or having your game ruined. Once upon a time if your pet died you had to go tame another one. Now you have been given pet bonding so your pets can be carefully selected, trained and resurrected if they die with a minimal skill loss. Oh yes and the skill loss too was reduced. You don't have to spend time constantly buying or taming new pets, or training them from scratch. Both of which take considerably longer than 10 minutes. Heck you even have ethy's now so you don't have to use a live mount at all! Now you have been given NPC vets so you have the convenience of a rez without asking a tamer for help. And now after all these improvements and time saved, you say the timer is ruining the game for some. Spend a month taming a fresh pet each time one dies and then tell me how hard life is in the modern UO :) I'm supportive of improving the NPC vet system beyond what we have now but it has to be done with some thought and care. Not just "OMG 10 minutes is the end of the world, take it out and the heck with the consequences!!"

Wenchy

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thread whiffs off the 'Gimme it now, faster, quicker, more, easier NOW NOW NOW!' fragrance often found in UO.

:sad2:

Also, Stratics needs a dislike button on posts. :p

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it isn't there. It's not my problem if you can't see the potential of an extra skill in the hands of a skilful tamer.

If a 10 minute timer is ruining your game, you need to find another game or regain some perspective.

You are not being penalised or having your game ruined. Once upon a time if your pet died you had to go tame another one. Now you have been given pet bonding so your pets can be carefully selected, trained and resurrected if they die with a minimal skill loss. Oh yes and the skill loss too was reduced. You don't have to spend time constantly buying or taming new pets, or training them from scratch. Both of which take considerably longer than 10 minutes. Heck you even have ethy's now so you don't have to use a live mount at all! Now you have been given NPC vets so you have the convenience of a rez without asking a tamer for help. And now after all these improvements and time saved, you say the timer is ruining the game for some. Spend a month taming a fresh pet each time one dies and then tell me how hard life is in the modern UO :) I'm supportive of improving the NPC vet system beyond what we have now but it has to be done with some thought and care. Not just "OMG 10 minutes is the end of the world, take it out and the heck with the consequences!!"

Wenchy
Super, so what do u suggest to improve the NPC vet ?

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thread whiffs off the 'Gimme it now, faster, quicker, more, easier NOW NOW NOW!' fragrance often found in UO.

:sad2:

Also, Stratics needs a dislike button on posts. :p
Nice reply.
So you quite obviously believe that any post relating to game mechanics is invalid and someone simply looking for easymode.
Your complete lack of common sense or ability to actually look at a situation makes it easy to put you on ignore, thanks :)
What a shock that you play a thief though lol

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Super, so what do u suggest to improve the NPC vet ?
1. Shorten the timer for non-tamer pets being resurrected.

2. Fighting pets that the tamer should be taking care of shouldn't be resurrected by NPC vets.

3. Stop players abusing the "tactical log out" for example by moving the pet to the player's stables if they log out. Better still prevent players from pulling their pets out of the game in the middle of combat, so pet death cannot be circumvented by logging out.

Wenchy

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honestly I don't see any valid reason for the timer still.

But then also there is no valid reason that I shouldn't be able to switch characters instantly at my house just because I came home and auto killed a freaking mongbat on my porch... Again... WHY does the average player have to deal with stupid and complete blanket rules because of some crap that goes on in FEL during PvP.

Do I think that it's fair that some tamers use the cheap log in log out get your pet thing to save their precious pet while PvPing... No. And maybe they should make it so that option doesn't or isn't available while your "in combat mode"... BUT AT NO other time should Tamers be penalized like that. ONLY while in Combat mode... and then we can be done with all this BS Nonesense of making the rest of us suffer for the poor cheater ways some folk PvP.

However.... that said the timer needs to be removed. Keep it in if you insist if the person is in "combat" mode.... but again they couldn't come to the Vet for a rez if they were in combat mode because they wouldn't have been able to recall or Sacred Journey there since they would have been "Fleeing in the Heat of Battle"... which would take time to wait for that timer to wear off..... so again the argument is silly and aimed wrong! They are already penalized by one timer adding another is totally stupid and overkill.

And like everyone else pointed out a real PvP tamer carries the insta rez potions anyway... or has a tamer on a second account which at present age nearly everyone playing UO has... And anyone who PvP's typically has a list of "buddies" 20 long at least... So he could just call one of those to come rez his pet instantly so again.... your argument is silly and motivated to just target a playstyle you don't like... Well tough luck.

And yes .... why not penalize the sampire then for not having healing???? Make them unable to rez for 10 min.

Admit the argument is stupid and move on. Since it's clear that you can't come up with a true argument over why or how having it in does what you think it's intended to do ... since we have shown you that clearly it doesn't even come close to doing what was supposedly intended to do. It neither stops it from happening nor does it discourage it from being viable... Since most folk are going to build the template regardless, use the instant rez potions or a second account or friends to skirt the whole issue anyway. At least any TRUE PvPer would. Infact the only time I myself have used it is when I was on a NEWER character on a shard I don't have a tamer on... And so 9 times out of 10 you are only penalizing new players and young players... ones who honestly ARE actually HURT by the timer. I have to wait 10 min to get a rez for my pet means that I can't get back up get a rez and rez my pet typically my mount..... because of the timer so now I have to go back and face what killed me ON FOOT to get my body back... before THAT timer runs out and I wind up losing everything I just worked really hard for.... not really endearing folk to playing and staying with UO is it???

And THAT is the argument I am making in this whole stupidness..... it is only penalizing young players. Players who wouldn't have an instant pet rez potion because honestly they probably don't even know it exists let alone be able to AFFORD such a luxury... They aren't going to have a tamer on another account to come rez their pet for them... and if they make the mistake of making their "new" character on a dead shard they certainly aren't going to get their pet rezed by another player either. So think about who you are REALLY penalizing before supporting something as lame as the timer. Since we've more than proven that it doesn't do what you think it does and it never did.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Shorten the timer for non-tamer pets being resurrected.

2. Fighting pets that the tamer should be taking care of shouldn't be resurrected by NPC vets.

3. Stop players abusing the "tactical log out" for example by moving the pet to the player's stables if they log out. Better still prevent players from pulling their pets out of the game in the middle of combat, so pet death cannot be circumvented by logging out.

Wenchy
How long should such a timer be ?
Would't it also be nice to actually see the timer, or getting it told, like when you try to get a bulk order deed ?
The annoying part is not so much the you have to wait, but the fact that you have no idea how long u have to wait.

Why are you so hostile against any tamer who dosent run with vet ?
We are talking about 50 skill points in vet to be able to ressurect and a couple of juwels.
The best thing with the vet NPC is that is also function as a gold sink, dont u think 30k + 0.2 skill loss is punishment enough ? (price to get a GD ressed, or is it 50k..cant remember)

If you are so into this having vet obsession, then by all means, why dont you suggest that they remove the ability to heal/cure pets with magery/chiv/sw.

Most tamers worth their salt be it pvp or pvm, runs with a pet ball.

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
?
The annoying part is not so much the you have to wait, but the fact that you have no idea how long u have to wait.
Admittedly it has been a while since I last used Windows, but on Ubuntu Linux there is a great feature where in the top right corner of the screen the time of day is displayed. It is super useful for timing 10 minutes if I need to.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How long should such a timer be ?
Would't it also be nice to actually see the timer, or getting it told, like when you try to get a bulk order deed ?
I wouldn't honestly want to pick a time out of the air, 5 mins, maybe a bit more or less wouldn't bother me if it's a non-tamer.
Why are you so hostile against any tamer who dosent run with vet ?
I'm not hostile towards tamers without vet. But there is a point where a tamer should take care of their own pet and stop expecting others to pick up the pieces if things go wrong.
We are talking about 50 skill points in vet to be able to ressurect and a couple of juwels.
Exactly, which is why it's not asking a lot for a tamer to look after their own pets. They can put vet on a soulstone too.
The best thing with the vet NPC is that is also function as a gold sink, dont u think 30k + 0.2 skill loss is punishment enough ? (price to get a GD ressed, or is it 50k..cant remember)
It's not about whether the cost and skill loss are "punishment enough". One tamer's "punishment" is "so what?" to the next tamer. This is simply about saying to a tamer, if you want a big fighting pet then you can't just run to an NPC when it dies. You need to make some proper provision on your own.
If you are so into this having vet obsession, then by all means, why dont you suggest that they remove the ability to heal/cure pets with magery/chiv/sw.
I'm not making that suggestion because a) it's irrelevant, b) it's dumb and c) because I am not obsessed with vet. Some of us were just brought up to take responsibility for looking after our own stuff.
Most tamers worth their salt be it pvp or pvm, runs with a pet ball.
Of course tamers have pet balls. If they don't, I'm sure they'll dust them off when they can't use the log out trick. But it still needs fixing :)

Wenchy

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These arguments had a valid place when UO was filled with life. We've endured enough licks we're almost to the center of the tootsie pop.

The population has dwindled to where the timer has no use anymore. Who honestly cares if people get creative and don't put vet on their character?

I also agree with Malag about the logout timer too. It never fails when you need to switch characters something flags you.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Gee stop this nonsense, no you cant ress a pet without vet, you've got an extra source of ressurection by npcs, ohh it takes some time. Well do some dualling or wait the time. Or maybe you would like pets to be indestractuible, then you have no problems at all to run your template!

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gee stop this noncense, no you cant ress a pet without vet, you've got an extra source of ressurection by npcs, ohh it takes some time. Well do some dualling or wait the time. Or maybe you would like pets to be indestractuible, then you have no problems at all to run your template!
It's the new and returning players that suffer the non-sense of the timer.... NOT The players running Tamers with no VET.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
So the newbie, without nothing to actually do but well have found out that they can save 600gp to wait 10 mins to get theit pet resurrectet if its already have been bonded will suffer how?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So the newbie, without nothing to actually do but well have found out that they can save 600gp to wait 10 mins to get theit pet resurrectet if its already have been bonded will suffer how?
The time it takes to get the pet rezed is a very long time to wait if you need to run back and get your body... which the new player would now have to do ON FOOT. Because their pet is dead... therefore whatever killed them in the first place is likely still hovering over their corpse.. without there mount they will have to get killed again how many times to recover their corpse? Whereas if they could get the mount rezed again quickly they could get back out there quickly and grab their corpse and get AWAY from what killed them before giving them more of a fighting chance to get back up and back into trying to gain skills and stuffs...

Making them wait 10 min is torment... by then your body is bones... much longer than that and by they time they get back to it ... it'd be GONE. Which means everything they worked hard to get is now gone. But I guess you like that sort of thing and think they ought to find that experience "fun" or enjoyable and that ought to endear them to UO.

Well newsflash for you.... It doesn't. It makes them angry.... Bitter.... and hateful of the game... frustrated .... and many will quit. Is that what we want? Just to save the timer so a few PvPers using Taming without Vet might be penalized???? But they aren't because any PvP tamer worth his salt would have plenty of pet rez potions or Vet on a stone to use anyway... or he'd have 2 or 3 buddies lined up to rez his pet. So again... the argument it hurts them is stupid and is infact FALSE. And like I said it only hurts the new players and players who don't play Tamers on other shards especially shards with FEW players on it.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Question...

Why is there this much doom and gloom over a vet res timer that has been in effect for how long? years?
If we want to argue to have it removed, why are we doing it with the standard freaking out followed by threats of mass amounts of people leaving the game over it? o_O

Does the vet res timer suck? yes...
Are people quitting over it? no..

How about reducing it to 2 minutes? That would make my sampire who dies a lot very happy indeed =)

Just my two cents..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We've just been arguing that the entire reason it was put in in the first place isn't a valid reason and we were hoping to get it reduced or removed. Just some folk think that it in some way does something that it doesn't and never has.