• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Selling gold destroys the uo community?

B

bordegan

I find it funny sometimes when I see broker's that sell gold for cash making posts on how they miss the old uo community and they even throw contests to try to bring back community to different towns, dungeons, and all kinds of other places.

I don't know if its just me but does anyone else think they are being hypocritical? In my opinion selling gold destroys the community. Anyone else think the same thing?

J

Jackson

No.

If people want to sell gold go for it. There are people out there who want to buy it.
That didnt wreck the community, the duping and cheating did.

K

Kratos Aurion

I always thought there was always a certain sense of pride and accomplishment of obtaining your own wealth.

I don't necessarily think brokers selling gold and items destroys the economy but it does take away from the game. You no longer have to earn what was once a challenge to obtain. With a few bucks, you can buy a couple mil or that orny you always wanted.

There is no accomplishment in doing that nor pride. Its just the easy way out of things and there will always be people more than willing to take the easy way out rather than working for what they have.

J

jagarr

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

B

Babble

Selling gold per se does not destroy community, nor does it build it.
They just sell gold.

I

imported_Leto

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Brokers (= gold sellers) played a mayor part in that aswell though. So while the sales of in-game items/currency for real-life currency might not directly be harmfull to the community, indirectly it most certainly is!

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

No.

If people want to sell gold go for it. There are people out there who want to buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But duping and cheating is how they got the gold to sell.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sell my leftover gold. After all, what am I supposed to do with 100's of millions of gold? It just takes up space in my house, vendors, bank, etc. Basically, the gold I sell pays for my UO subscriptions, my DSL line, and an occassional computer upgrade.

I agree buying gold might take away from someone's UO experience (accomplishments etc.), but that's their choice. I choose to earn it, they choose to spend it. So be it. I never question someone else's playstyle unless they are cheating. As long as everyone is having fun, who am I to judge?

On the other hand, I'm all for gold sinks and maybe a complete gold reduction (i.e. divide all gold by 1,000).

Btw, I got my gold from BOD Rewards and crafted items. Runic Hammers, PoF's, CBD's, 120 crafting powerscrolls, etc. It's a very good business, though it takes alot of work and dedication.

M

Mession

Selling gold doesnt destroy the uo community, in fact paying $21,20 per month does, while UK customers and US pay less than $14. I just took 2 people back to UO, with 4 accounts

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

Every action has a reaction not wanted.

There is nothing wrong with the activity of sell or bartering gold.
But, it is a shortcut which takes away from the need to go to the dungeons!
This means that players buy gold instead of appearing inside areas that
pvpers would appear to pk those players and loot them!

The lost is to the pvp community. So, keep buying gold folks!

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

G

Selling gold doesn't destroy the community.

Selling gold to the game is no different than me handing someone else a given amount of gold for no reason whatsoever in the game's eyes. Everything else that happens is EXTERNAL to the game.

The problem with selling gold is that people have exploited to obtain ridiculous amounts of it which of course has caused massive amounts of inflation. But that is a problem of CHEATING, not a problem of being involved in a free market economy both in and out of game.

Beyond that, there have been MANY more changes to the game that have been detrimental to the community than allowing gold selling.

G

Dunno, I buy my own stuff, I don't grow my own food, build my own cars or pave my own roads. Doesn't really substract from my life.

J

jagarr

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

here on earth we call that a 'gross generalization.'

and lets be honest ... it isnt even duping and cheating that people don't like. its the simple fact that some people have what others do not.

you can fix dupes and cheats and thats great (although EA chooses not to for whatever reason...) but you can't fix jealousy.

have-not syndrome DESTROYS MMOs even faster than duping and cheating.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is just another thread started up to slyly state that the OP thinks that selling gold is bad for the game. Which it isn't, as Dermott and LordChaos have been so kind to point out.

Inevitably, someone is going to pull the "BUT IT IS BANNED IN WOW" and then someone else will pull the "YEAH BUT LOOK AT ALL THE ADS FOR WOW GOLD ANYWAY". And then someone will retort "YEAH BUT AT LEAST THEY MAKE AN EFFORT TO BAN" and then someone else will reply "YET THE GOLD SELLING STILL EXISTS, SO THE BANS OBVIOUSLY DON'T WORK TOO WELL".

At which point we will be back to where we started before we wasted our time on yet another one of these threads.

G

NO it doesn't depends on how you look at it and what you want out of UO... To me personally RP is what I want out of UO ..... I play UO for the RP not for some challenge or to amass large quantities of gold, have the biggest bestest stuff and the baddest weapons/armour etc... I play for fun to relax and Role-play... occasionally I buy gold... more often now that they nerfed the heck out of the bag of sending.... I don't want to spend all day farming gold..... recalling back and forth having to find a new hunting spot everytime someone comes and takes mine while I'm off to the bank... I have never had a vendor and I don't intend to ever start having one..... in all the 8 years I've played I've actually sold VERY little.... I give away whatever I get I don't need and I horde the heck out of whatever I think might be usefull someday down the road to a guildmate, Squire whatever cause I just am not into selling things... I have no desire.... guess I never cared for marketing..... don't get me wrong I love to shop..... I am forever spending gold.... buying this and that unique thing I don't want to waste time farming..... or Buying Powerscrolls because there isn't any time in my schedual for Fel... Its about time..... what you want out of game..... and what your looking for...... Now I quite honestly mine my own ore.... I chop my own wood.... I collect my own gems.... I gather my own leathers..... and from time to time I get my own BODS and things though I do buy the occasionally Runic kit... as I don't have time to fill bods all day... So it depends on your playstyle.. for those that want to do bods all day and are into making money/gold selling stuff more power to them..... What has ruined UO is the Scripting, Cheating, Duping and honestly the AoS weapon/armour system has severely hurt things though I can see that UO/EA is working to fix some of the problems by making GOOD armour and weapons easier to obtain at lower cost...... as the cost was getting so far out of range of the average player that it wasn't even funny.... And they have made getting arties in Doom much more enjoyable and it no longer feels like a complete waste of time to go to doom... I can go down there on an afternoon and usually come out with an arti for all my hard work ..... Where as previously I would get a skull go to doom spend weeks on end trying to get one..... and NEVER get one... Years I spent trying finally decided it just wasn't ever gonna happen and that Doom was yet another waste of time.... not worth the effort. Now If I knew of some way to get gold and ferry it back and forth to the bank a bit easier than killing bloods/balrons and having to recall back and forth with it 8k at a time as that's all I can honestly carry and that is max hoping not to get paralized or anything anyway the point is gathering gold myself now for me the "average" player has become something that's more frustrating than it's worth.... easier to spend the few bucks and buy the gold I need.... See the point?? To me the change in the Bags O Sending didn't kill the gold farmers... it killed the average citizen... Anymore I don't bother looting gold... And you know what ..... the scripters are still gathering it to their little greedy hearts content.... If you think about it the change has almost encouraged the selling of gold for money.... cause it's even less appealing to get it for yourself.

J

jagarr

willa heres the thing: powergamers are always going to powergame. they just are. they will always set the bar and it will always leak into your playstyle, even if you live just to RP. some people have no lives and 12 hours a day to make gold, script or no script. they will always kill you, always dry loot your body, and always outbid you on powerscrolls. always. its the same IRL - some people dedicate themselves to ONLY ONE THING and become the masters of whatever that thing is, and they set the bar for everyone else who wants anything to do with that thing.

players will always buy gold in MMOs. they just WILL, because mmos are based on a grind for MOST of the people that play them. its the nature of the beast.

developers _should_ ALWAYS fix scripting and any cheating thats reported as TOP PRIORITY in order to keep the powergamers and the farmers under control and within the confines of legal gameplay.

when that isnt happening (hellooooo EA!) THEN you really start to see the impact of powergamers and cheaters growing OUT OF CONTROL! sort of like what you see now. developers are forced to put in bandaid fixes to keep people from leaving in droves (see doom arti droprate change, runic kit buffs, nerfs to individual item property caps, general short-term dumbing-down of the game). the developers lose control of their playerbase and then cater to the immediate gratification crowd to keep people paying. its simple, simple business. but after a while, it backfires! the powergamers are powergaming even EASIER now, making even MORE money, and further widening the gap between haves and have-nots to the point where its almost impossible to fix. see today's date in ultima online, because thats where we are.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I find it funny sometimes when I see broker's that sell gold for cash making posts on how they miss the old uo community and they even throw contests to try to bring back community to different towns, dungeons, and all kinds of other places.

I don't know if its just me but does anyone else think they are being hypocritical? In my opinion selling gold destroys the community. Anyone else think the same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't really give a reason on why it destroys the community.

I am by no means a big RL cash seller but I do broker deals, but I also support ingame events and guilds. How does that make me a hypocrite?

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

here on earth we call that a 'gross generalization.'

and lets be honest ... it isnt even duping and cheating that people don't like. its the simple fact that some people have what others do not.

you can fix dupes and cheats and thats great (although EA chooses not to for whatever reason...) but you can't fix jealousy.

have-not syndrome DESTROYS MMOs even faster than duping and cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't even make sense. I can play on a shard where I have nothing and have as much fun as where I have items and gold. If there wasn't a financial reason for people to cheat I bet we would not have the a lot of the problems we have in game today.

J

jagarr

<blockquote><hr>

That doesn't even make sense. I can play on a shard where I have nothing and have as much fun as where I have items and gold. If there wasn't a financial reason for people to cheat I bet we would not have the a lot of the problems we have in game today.

[/ QUOTE ]

so why do you even care if people are cheating then?

anyways it doesnt matter how much cheating goes on. it matters that cheating goes on _at all_
people cheat in FPS games, single player games, diablo II etc. where there is little/no money to be made. people are going to cheat. they just are. our goal should be to cut down on cheating as much as possible. people will cheat to be best at pvp, cheat to place the best houses, cheat to become the most powerful guild, cheat to make money to sell, cheat to xyzabcdef.

the problem is theyre cheating. so stop cheating, the root of the problem. don't try and stop all the individual motivations for cheating or youd have nothing left to play for!

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then maybe you should get Ea to add an Easy button to your client running low on life push the easy button, need to kill some one push the easy button, push easy button and all the items you need will just pop in to you pack.

G

Duping killed our game!!!! and the fact the devs didnt react...we talking items worth 300-400m each being duped by the hatfull/bagfull... and yes the collectors did not help matters either , has they continued to buy the obvoiusly duped items for zillion gold amounts...mmmmmmmmmm

But big factor was the definate duping of mega rares and the aftermath.... as nearly killed our beloved game....

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

No. I agree 100% with Jackson.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I do too...which means I agree...with Craftsman.

G

People have been cheating in gaming LONG before financial gain entered the picture.

Granted financial gain DOES make it easier to justify cheating (or have something upon which to blame the cheating), HOWEVER that is not the case.

I have stated before and will repeatedly again that the problem with cheating in computer gaming is that since the days of the 8-bit systems (NES forward, post 1984 crash), cheating has been if not tolerated, then outright encouraged. From the cheat book printed with codes for unlimited lives, level select and so on to peripherals such as Game Genies to websites that pay people for supplying cheats and charging a subscription to access said cheats.

Basically the gaming industry has told an entire generation of computer gamers that it's OK to cheat and now in the MMOG genre, we're reaping the rewards of that.

What is done AFTER the cheating occurs is secondary and merely a symptom of the underlying problem... and a symptom that plays well on the class/financial envy that has permeated society.

We need to fix the PROBLEM... not the symptom.

B

Belmarduk

It destroys the game because people try to make masses of RL cash for RL and not just a small amount to again use for the game.Thats a BIG difference.

Ea are so extremly stupid that it hurts.
If they made it illegal (which most big mmorpg do!) to sell gold for RL via ebay etc and INSTEAD make it so that one can buy official UO Gametimecode which can officially be sold via a SECURE system:

1.: The RL cash would go to EA whatever happens !!!
2.: The whole thing would be under control on not take bad dimensions as it has now.
3.: Rich people in UO get there account(s) paid by people who have the urge to buy Gold.

But I dont give EA that much intelegence to think about this seriosly...

I

imported_Spiritless

<blockquote><hr>

[ . . . ] in fact paying $21,20 per month does, while UK customers and US pay less than $14 [ . . . ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do some research. You'll find UK customers are paying ~$19.85 per month.

U

Ultima83

Anyone who thinks Duping and Gold selling Ruined this game is completely ignorant

Bottom line is, People dont quit video games because there is TO MUCH GOLD, they quit video games because of lack of content, bad gameplay, and lack of service.. As relevant as Duping is for some, Nobody picking up the video game ont he shelf says OMG ultima online, I hear that game has dupes lets not buy that.. No, They go, jesus this game has HORRID graphics and is 10 years old.. What the hell does it have to offer me ...

Every video game on the PLANET has gold sellers, Every video game stays right where it is based on what CONTENT is involved, Promotion and marketing given to it and attention to detail.

Inflation in a 10 year old video game isnt exactly gonna maintain its "control" after 10 years of gold influx from monsters, the 5-6 duping era's which ISNT bad for 10 years of a video game that created the damn mmorpg scene, and a few event items that top dollar vendors sell for Rl cash..

Whoever can justify those terms is one thing and one thing only.. VERY JEALOUS and thats it..

IF the majority of the player base agreed with people who didnt want gold sold being the case they would not BUY the damn gold, There are DOZENS of top dollar sellers who make decent profit in there spare time selling goods and buying accounts and gold from people who otherwise would have a worthless account they spent years d eveloping..

Again, Jealously drives this post nothing more

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[ . . . ] in fact paying $21,20 per month does, while UK customers and US pay less than $14 [ . . . ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do some research. You'll find UK customers are paying ~$19.85 per month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! <font color=red> Mession</font color=red>!!! ...
and while your at it ... (researching) ...
Be Sure to specifically indicate ... WHICH grade size and denomination OF

virtual cash

... you be talking about ...

K

Kith Kanan

<blockquote><hr>

Then maybe you should get Ea to add an Easy button to your client running low on life push the easy button, need to kill some one push the easy button, push easy button and all the items you need will just pop in to you pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm I dont get it ... I buy gold now and then , because it lets me not have to do the EASY and DULL shid like farming the same mob over and over , mining and filling a million bods and other stuff like that , that I dont find exciting or amusing at all , no it gives me the time to do stuff I actualy think is fun... but hey god forgive the game should be fun to me , because I choose to play it diff from you...........

G

It does make for a more greedy populace when you know the gold and rares and whatnot your getting are worth real cash I think.

P

Paris_Hilton

<blockquote><hr>

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean "the duping and cheating" required TO GET THE GOLD to sell for cash?

G

Don't you mean "the duping and cheating" required TO GET THE GOLD to sell for cash?

No, it's the duping and cheating PERIOD. What is done with the item(s) ore whatever AFTER it is exploited into existence means NOTHING.

The problem is that it was created via exploitive means to begin with.

What someone does with their property (word used in a general sense, so spare me the legalese here) is their own business, not mine, and not yours.

HOW they create said property IS the issue and something that is the Dev Team's business.

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people have rl's outside of uo and dont have the countless hours to spend sitting behind a monitor, if these people have spent enough time/effort in their rl to be able to splurge rl money on an online games items. So be it, I dont see how it is effecting anything but alowing players to obtain items/pets/houses ect ect without spending 1000's of man hours in a game... If it is brining enjoyment excitement and keeping them in game what is the problem? Think of all the people that would quit playing because of the fact some items on the game are control'd by guilds and are unable to obtain them...

I have no problem with people being able to buy what makes them happy.

P

Paris_Hilton

<blockquote><hr>

I sell my leftover gold. After all, what am I supposed to do with 100's of millions of gold? It just takes up space in my house, vendors, bank, etc. Basically, the gold I sell pays for my UO subscriptions, my DSL line, and an occassional computer upgrade.

I agree buying gold might take away from someone's UO experience (accomplishments etc.), but that's their choice. I choose to earn it, they choose to spend it. So be it. I never question someone else's playstyle unless they are cheating. As long as everyone is having fun, who am I to judge?

On the other hand, I'm all for gold sinks and maybe a complete gold reduction (i.e. divide all gold by 1,000).

Btw, I got my gold from BOD Rewards and crafted items. Runic Hammers, PoF's, CBD's, 120 crafting powerscrolls, etc. It's a very good business, though it takes alot of work and dedication.

[/ QUOTE ]

"On the other hand, I'm all for gold sinks and maybe a complete gold reduction (i.e. divide all gold by 1,000)."

Of course a Gold Seller would vote FOR ANYTHING that might INCREASE their gold sales.

Three UO accounts (I'm underestimating for a crafter running bods), paid every 6 months, $30 per month PLUS 1 DSL line $40 per month equals $70 per month minimum monthly bills that you say you pay for by selling your excess UO gold for cash.

Gold at $2 per million means you'd need to earn $35 million per month bare minimum (more to pay for computer upgrades).

So that's 1.6 (real not fake!) valorite runic hammer ($30 million + $5 million more), or 17.5 barbed runics (at roughly 2 million each) per month you'd need to acquire to keep your supply of ingame gold up for selling for cash for paying the bills.

Of course you say that you have hundreds of millions of excess gold lying around. Does that mean we should multiply the amount of runics above by 3 to 6 to get closer to your true income from crafting? So, maybe you are more likely acquiring 3-6 valorite runics and 61-102 barbed kits each month?

(I don't count crafting PS since you can't give those away these days and pof is a mediocre seller, there's so much on the market and most of us have mules who get it free from bods.)

That is a helluva lot of crafting.

So question...

You fall short of your monthly runic acquisitions, and there's the DSL bill due tomorrow. Would you dupe up a val runic to sell or just let them turn off your DSL?

(I despise numbers and I am sure if my calculations are off I will soon be informed but the more mathematically blessed.)

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

100% Correct, in my book.

If someone can make 100,000,000,000,000 legitimately, and wants to sell it all, so be it.

Duping and cheating, however, have undermined honest toil, at every turn.

G

<blockquote><hr>

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% with this gold only exists in the game to whatever degree players have earned it to even if those means were cheats dupes and exploits.

Think of it like this. A gold broker is only gathering up gold that already exists in the economy and shifting it to another player for real cash. I could charge someone 2 bucks for 1m and that 1m could have come from me selling an artifact to get that gold. The gold having originally came from someone killing a monster or selling an item to a vendor because those are the only 2 ways new gold come into the world without duping existing wood or items that are then sold to an NPC.

So the conclusion is that the only thing hurting the game in reality are those who cheat to create more gold and items in our world. Someone who is reselling items or gold for cash is simply making real world profit to gather something that already exists for someone else to use.

Regardless what some people think the brokers who sell gold and items actually help the game at times because some people work for a living and have no time to earn everything in game. They probably would not continue to play if they had no way to ever build an account up to a reasonable level in a short time.

And no I am not a broker I have never bought or sold anything in the game for real cash in the ten years I have played.

G

I've bought gold and a couple of things I wanted for RL cash. I have a good job, but don't always have alot of spare time to play. For a few dollars, I can skip the gold farming aspect of the game for awhile, and do something else I enjoy.

I think I should always have this avenue available. I don't feel it lessens my game experience, personally. If it's something that I can acquire on my own, in a reasonable amount of time that I actually have to spend playing, I will do that instead of purchasing. If it's something that's not obtainable anymore, or too expensive for me to ever have the time to acquire, I will consider purchasing it.

Even if Gold selling wasn't allowed, it would still go on. Those that are willing to cheat do not care about rules, anyway. I'd rather have it be legal...if you've managed to make a pretty penny, I think you should be able to use that to pay for your monthly fees, if you wish. Or, sell your gold in order to buy that Rare you've always wanted, but the seller prefers cash. In some cases, this might even enable a player to keep their account open or help with RL bills in times of financial hardship.

Anyway...just my personal opinion. I understand why people don't like gold selling, and I respect those views also. =)

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

100% Correct, in my book.

If someone can make 100,000,000,000,000 legitimately, and wants to sell it all, so be it.

Duping and cheating, however, have undermined honest toil, at every turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa! thread is much better than anticipated ...

Legit gold and sale of same, either ingame or via broker's/external sources ...
legit and allowable.

duping and scamming to acquire the gp for conversion into external cash ... booo bad ... no no.

devs can on occasion, break the dupes, GMs can ban some for ingame actions ...meh! would like more action there ...
but willing to take any progress as available ... goes to stopping the illegitimate inflow in any case ...

Only thing I can contribute (being neither a buyer or seller and legit)
One area that can BE attended ... but hasn't been ...
method of "storing and holding"

Already have some "ground work" Marked out

"Here"(this thread, not the linky) would be more point 2 discussion

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Of course a Gold Seller would vote FOR ANYTHING that might INCREASE their gold sales.

[/ QUOTE ]Reducing the amount of gold in the game wouldn't increase or decrease the amount of $$ I make from selling gold. It would just make gold more valuable in the game. If you had read my other posts, you would have known my recommendation for gold reduction...Reduce all gold by dividing it by 1,000. Reduce the cost of all NPC vendor items by the same amount, except for resources (ingots, reagents, etc.) which should stay the same. Remove or greatly reduce the amount of gold reward for turning in a BOD, etc. For the rest look up my post on the subject.<blockquote><hr>

Three UO accounts (I'm underestimating for a crafter running bods), paid every 6 months, $30 per month PLUS 1 DSL line $40 per month equals $70 per month minimum monthly bills that you say you pay for by selling your excess UO gold for cash.

[/ QUOTE ]That sounds about right. 1 RP account and 2 BOD accounts.<blockquote><hr>

Gold at $2 per million means you'd need to earn $35 million per month bare minimum (more to pay for computer upgrades).

[/ QUOTE ]Actually my price is $1.50 per million...<blockquote><hr>

So that's 1.6 (real not fake!) valorite runic hammer ($30 million + $5 million more), or 17.5 barbed runics (at roughly 2 million each) per month you'd need to acquire to keep your supply of ingame gold up for selling for cash for paying the bills.

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, I've only earned 1 Val Hammer and purchased 2 others, which I used on Pacific, and made a few awesome weapons. I'd say I do earn around 10-20 barbed kits a month, but I use them; I don't sell them.<blockquote><hr>

Of course you say that you have hundreds of millions of excess gold lying around. Does that mean we should multiply the amount of runics above by 3 to 6 to get closer to your true income from crafting? So, maybe you are more likely acquiring 3-6 valorite runics and 61-102 barbed kits each month?

[/ QUOTE ]I don't deal in Val Runics. I earn and sell tons of PoF's (around 50-70 a week at 80-90K each), 120 Crafting Scrolls, CBD's, Runic Hammers from Bronze to Agapite (I usually burn any Verite Hammers I earn, but I've been selling them lately because of their huge increase in Value after the latest crafting change). I haven't sold a Barbed kit in months, but I've definitely sold the results of using them.<blockquote><hr>

(I don't count crafting PS since you can't give those away these days and pof is a mediocre seller, there's so much on the market and most of us have mules who get it free from bods.)

[/ QUOTE ]You couldn't be more wrong. Because of the change to BOD gathering, everybody wants to be a Legendary Smith. I've sold almost every 120 Scroll I could make for 500-600K each. PoF's? Are you kidding me? They are so easy to get, and they sell for 80-90K each! I sell out of them as fast as I can stock them! OK. I admit, the price is starting to slip on these, but I sold out at 70K today on Napa and Pac.<blockquote><hr>

That is a helluva lot of crafting.

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed. 28 BOD Runners on 2 shards doing 2-3 BOD runs a day. Filling around 400 iron BODs a week (usually around 20-40 per day and the rest on the weekend). Thank goodness for the recent BOD change. Now there's not as many iron BODs to fill.<blockquote><hr>

So question...

You fall short of your monthly runic acquisitions, and there's the DSL bill due tomorrow. Would you dupe up a val runic to sell or just let them turn off your DSL?

[/ QUOTE ]Now you are starting to cross a thin line. Be careful with your accusations. I don't dupe. I don't know how to dupe. I don't need to dupe. I make a rl 6-figure salary in IT. This game is just a game. My wife would prefer I didn't spend any money on it, so I just let it pay for itself.<blockquote><hr>

(I despise numbers and I am sure if my calculations are off I will soon be informed but the more mathematically blessed.)

[/ QUOTE ]

J

joblackjon

In my opinion (7.5 years)...the 4 hardest hits to the UO community are/were PowerHour, Insurance, PoT and Pet Bonding. All of these severely impacted the need or ability to interact with the UO community.

PowerHour gave everyone the ability to power-train crafting skillls so people didn't need the community for stuff. They could make their own with their own crafters. PowerHour also encouraged people to spend the first hour of each char's login training something...usually alone.

Insurance &amp; PoT...
I remember the days when people crowded at the Brit Smith shop for repairs, replacements, new armor and weps. 99% of the stuff in UO no longer breaks, wears-out or gets lost...don't need the community for supplies.

Pet Bonding...
Remember when WBB was crowded with all kinds of pets for sale? Horses, Llamas, Mares, Drags, Wyrms...everything! That was community!

I don't think selling gold had any adverse effect on the community.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
gold is more a mind set who has more arties gold etc, game has worked with sellers and dupers for long time, and will continue too!! end result that will kill game is duping and cheats whether vine cords etc or gold checks or scripting ingots making enough regular players quit in discust over! the hapy medium of those that will pay put up with and ones that will leave for i think we are on very fine balance of at moment ruuning around sahrds looking idocs etc think at tinping edge!!!!!!!!!!! to end

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think that the scripting and cheating for gold, housing, resources and powerscrolls, that has caused many players to quit, has been good for the community.

R

Return2UO

I don't think so.

I would guess that UO is brought down more by those who post "I'm quitting so the game will end so" or "back in the day you could break into peoples houses but not now, f***in trammies!" or "typical fel people! Murdering your RL grandmothers. Your play style sucks!" type of posts.

I don't expect everyone to be happy but the main impact to UO are these boards and the constant, child like posts that you have to scroll through to find something decent.

G

some of the probs that go with gold selling can be reviewed if you go to tradespot.net there they talk about driving forces that made them shift their priciples.

the economy is a large prob and gold selling is a symptom of that.
certain in game items are worth hundreds of RL bucks.

talk of billions is insane i remember when millions were considered extreem.

I

imported_revenant2

My gut feeling has been that it's a malfunction of sorts that gold can be gotten inside the game by buying it from third parties for real cash.

When I think through it, lots of little reasons that seem to support it pop up.

Even buying gold directly from EA makes more sense, in a way, although that doesn't seem like a great idea either. You pay for the game already, you know?

J

jullebuk

<blockquote><hr>

Again, Jealously drives this post nothing more

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

I

imported_infiniti

Gold selling does take something that could be used for the greater good of the game, if EA sold the gold and items, then atleast the money could be put to helping development.

Personally i'm happy to hunt for gold and items, its a game and games are about achievement for myself, if you bought it, you cant brag about it. =P

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I don't expect everyone to be happy but the main impact to UO are these boards and the constant, child like posts that you have to scroll through to find something decent.

[/ QUOTE ]That would be true if more than 1 or 2 percent of UO players actually read these boards. Personally, I couldn't imagine playing UO without Stratics (I'm very good at filtering out the garbage), but a very large majority of players don't bother.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Making gold so easy to get in game destroys the economy.