• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Scripter Farming Painted Caves on Many Shards

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ash

Many people have asked this question of ea and we get occasionally a statement saying they are looking at it. some people have suggested in the past that it is simply a case of ea not wanting to lose the scripters subscriptions. one day it may be an idea that those appalled at the lack of action choose a time and a date and all at the same time cancel our subs, only to reactivate soon after of course! what would this achieve? if we did this im pretty sure a huge red light would flash and an alarm sound and they would be able to see the numbers of people unhappy at the lack of action.
I was thinking more of gathering a group on each shard to all page GM on the scripters at the same time. I would hope (yes I am optimistic at times) that 50+ pages simultaneously would set off some alarms with the GMs and Devs.

But i am to the point that if i cancel my subscription over this, it will stay that way.

L

LadyArden

I don't get why GM's don't just haul these people into "jail"? Can't mine the jail cell.... Honest non-scripters get hauled in there for things like name spellings, why not people really cheating and breaking BIG rules?

Chant with me, JAIL! JAIL! JAIL!

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA cracks me up. I've been told by the GM's multiple times that they will not Ban this person bc as long as he responds they cannot prove he's scripting. Since when does EA need proof to do anything? I'm pretty sure in the T.O.S that somewhere in there it says something to the effect of "You play at our leisure and we can change that anytime we want" ......

This is the MOST read and MOST replied to Topic on UOHall and not a Single Dev. has made a response.

I'm politely asking that to change. Pls. let us know.... t's not like anything short of actually banning this person is going to slow him down in the least.... You could tell him all his characters will be deleted 5 minutes after logging in and I bet you would still see them vanish into nothing in his favorite hunting spots lol...

K

Kurgan

EA cracks me up. I've been told by the GM's multiple times that they will not Ban this person bc as long as he responds they cannot prove he's scripting. Since when does EA need proof to do anything? I'm pretty sure in the T.O.S that somewhere in there it says something to the effect of "You play at our leisure and we can change that anytime we want" ......

This is the MOST read and MOST replied to Topic on UOHall and not a Single Dev. has made a response.

I'm politely asking that to change. Pls. let us know.... t's not like anything short of actually banning this person is going to slow him down in the least.... You could tell him all his characters will be deleted 5 minutes after logging in and I bet you would still see them vanish into nothing in his favorite hunting spots lol...
Ultima Online Service Rules of Conduct

6. You may not leave an active character or pet in game while unattended. If your character is performing a skill, text or action, you must be able to respond to a Game Master when one attempts to speak to you.

(So have the GM's show up hidden, as many scritpers have it built in to look for people showing up. Or have the GM's show up as animals. A small rabbit comes to mind.)

I love rule 24.

24. You will not do anything else that interferes with the ability of other Ultima Online users to enjoy playing the game in accordance with its rules, or that increases the expense or difficulty of Electronic Arts in maintaining the Ultima Online service for the enjoyment of all its users.

This one makes me laugh.. Why should we go after scripters, when it will cost us money to do so.. Must be difficult to go after these scripters.. Yet people in the game find them all the time...

P

packrat

A couple of years ago I was in the doom healers room waiting for the blade of righeousness to spawn with two other thieves. All of the sudden we were all frozen unable to move then a GM suddenly appeared out of no where. He tells us he is doing a test to be patient. He suddenly lays the blade on the floor and "boom" all of the sudden a character (was hidden) teleports to the blade and tries to steal it. Then the other char just vanished into thin air. The gm said this person was using a program to steal the blade unattended. And he was doing it with 2 other high end arties.
This process took less than a minute to do. How long would it take for a gm to monitor the char in the caves? All he has to do is drop a fire/poison field on him. If he is not moving and just waiting to dye. It doesnt take a genius to figure out this guy is not at his keyboard.
With all the people commenting and visiting this one topic it seems like it would get their attention.
This is what I would like to see done. Its only my thought. Make an event out of it. If these guys are confirmed cheaters round up a posse and deal with them. When they dye all of their skill points go to 0. And give the posse a robe/sash "Royal posse sash" And put signs next to where they are standing "You cheat, You die"

K

Kurgan

Why not make the cave a no-recall zone..
Boom case closed.. maybe...

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
trogz is a no recall zone...there program can walk to whatever place they set it too...like heartwood...recall in, yell all follow me and walk through to the fletching area..do the deed and walk out

O

onthefifty

she was in chessy fel p caves last nite. unfortunately for her so was my
red mage. nice payout cashed 3900 in insurance and 17k off the body.

she had a smith deed on her. didnt see her the rest of the night, but many guys on chessy have been checking in there regularly so dunno if she came back.

is there any good way too play with the heartwood people?

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
she was in chessy fel p caves last nite. unfortunately for her so was my
red mage. nice payout cashed 3900 in insurance and 17k off the body.

she had a smith deed on her. didnt see her the rest of the night, but many guys on chessy have been checking in there regularly so dunno if she came back.

is there any good way too play with the heartwood people?
Three words... lava snake talisman.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
only if there in fel...thief and help them by taking the weight of there shoulders by helping yourself to there kitz...there are ways to reveal em

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 pages and over 5000 views and still no post from Jeremy or anyone else saying they're looking into the problem, etc.

Pathetic :thumbdown:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What people aren't understanding is that person IS sitting at his computer..... If he "seems" non-responsive it's because watching 30+ characters scripting on multiple monitors which would divide your attention a bit. It's simply the fact that his script is setup to ALERT him to whatever conditions he wants it to. Why do you think he has 100 spirit speak on his characters? It's so he can see ghosts etc... I woulnd't be surprised if he gets a HUGE FLASHING WARNING on his screen if a red character enters the caves or anythign with the letters
"GM" appears etc.... Though I admit a clever GM could easily test him a few ways.... Temporarily make the trogs invun and watch him just stand there and whack on em.... change the layout of the caves somehow.. put a door there and watch him stand there and get stuck etc... Anyway...

P

packrat

Ok, I just saw something and I didn't believe what I saw. I took a screen shot but having trouble posting it. I was in the painted cave in tram and the farmer was there. Grobu was near by and was going to attack me so I hurry and hid. Then it went for the farmer. To my surprise, grobu did 0 damage to this farmer. Grobu was attacking it for more than 5 minutes. After the farmer killed the trogs. The bear continued beating up on the farmer and it did 0 damage. I decided to try something. I made myself visible and got the attention of Grobu and it almost killed me in a second. So I know it bites hard. Lurg saw me going in circles and started towards me. I was able to hide again in time. Then it proceeded towards the farmer. Lurge and Grobu finally killed the farmer pretty quick. But, Grobu alone did no damage.

O

onthefifty

grobu's not doing the damage as the scripter is running a darkwood suit when coupled with a crimson and bracelet of health (assumption) is giving him much hp regen.

even to kill him on a mage curse / exp /fs /exp/fs/fs. and im 115 eval with 100 scribe plus some sdi

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Given the amount of life leech she has along with her high hp regen. It is possible she was taking damage, but it would not show on her life bar because her leech and regen would keep her at full health.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I've said before the absolute best way to kill or get her killed in Fel is to simply disarm her.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 pages and over 5000 views and still no post from Jeremy or anyone else saying they're looking into the problem, etc.
I think having Jeremy come in here and say that they are looking at the problem is quite pointless. What we need is Jeremy coming in here and admitting that they have cut the corners too much on game moderators and are going to solve this by hiring more UO dedicated GMs plus giving them a bigger mandate. We then need the head of GM to be actively responding to customer related queries by doing his own FoF. Customer service is the biggest weakness of Ultima Online today and everyone needs to demand more.

Anything short of that is a waste of yours and my time.

Mister E.

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, I really dont care what any other char is doing anymore. I used to but it is threads like this that changed my mind. Ever think about the definition of griefing people? How about witch hunts? Going after the legitimate scripter is one thing, but this crap is getting out of hand.

Nowadays I see people invising creatures (blue beetles, golems) because they automatically assume they are scripting. I see people paged on because they wont answer a player when they ask if they are there. I see areas blocked off(example heartwood) to put a damper in the scripters paths. Again, I dont care if its legit...but how the hell do you know whats legit if you dont even know if the person is really there?

Having MS is a real pain in the ass. Any of you that are familiar with it know that I am in pain just from typing this. As such imagine how I feel being blocked from doing what I want to do in the game because someone is trying to stop scripters. Or because i choose not to answer due to my disability making jsut answering difficult. Or because I have to converse wtih a GM to keep from being hauled to jail.

It sucks people, so use your heads before trying to ruin the enjoyment of legitamate players. The witch hunt is out of frigging hand, and is causing me to rethink playing the game. Want to grief people? Try it in real life, and let us all know how that black eye feels.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Going after the legitimate scripter is one thing, but this crap is getting out of hand.
This thread is about a legitimate scripter who is doing it across multiple shards. No witch hunt going on here.

Want to grief people? Try it in real life, and let us all know how that black eye feels.
I don't grief people because I get some kick out of it or something like that. I will however grief low down dirty pieces of crap who deserve alot more than my "griefing" could ever do. For example, the drug dealers who lived next to us a few years back. You bet your ass I "griefed" the hell out of them. Eventually they got the hint and left. The cops that I called multiple times also had a hand in removing them from our decent neighborhood.

Oh and I didn't get a black eye. Being 6'3 and 225 most people think twice before trying something. rolleyes:

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem at the root Mister E, is that the players have had to resort to these tactics to try to grief the scripters. If the GM's did thier job and sorted scripters out quickly and effeciently then players wouldnt have to.

Personally I will try everything I can to stop the cheaters till the GM's sort them out. And if the GM's decide to punish me, then they'll loose my wifes and my own 4 accounts. That would be $500 less a year they'ld get from me. I'm sorry I understand it causes pain etc, but the real culprits here are the GM's...

Come on Jeremy, sort the GM's out. What would it take? Everyone who's unhappy to cancel thier subscription for a month? 10 players would be $100. 100 Players would be $1000... 1000 would be $10000... Well I dont think we'ld get 1000 players. But 100 easy, we need to make a difference here, make EA realise we are not happy.

But then maybe with the amount of players they've lost recently and the diving playerbase as a whole they actually dont care?

Afterall, the DEV's cant even be bothered to post something in here yet they can post on other threads about IDOC's not falling.

I'm begining to think the DEV's are as bad as the GM's now. And I'm seriously considering going to a freeshard where the management care about the game.

Fix it, or loose us EA... Your choice and I think we all know you've made that

So whoever leaves last, turn the lights out!

J

Joyous2K

Honestly, I really dont care what any other char is doing anymore. I used to but it is threads like this that changed my mind. Ever think about the definition of griefing people? How about witch hunts? Going after the legitimate scripter is one thing, but this crap is getting out of hand.
The best name to call it is: "Vigilante Justice." I had been searching my mind for it all week and it came to me today. Vigilante justice is a dangerous thing.

For those that buy gold, this is only increasing the RL dollar for gold. For those that sell gold, well, you will get more RL dollar for the gold you sell. This is good for anyone here that sells gold, but none of you guys do that, right??

UO should make scripts and then sell them. Black market gold sales is not a good thing.

UltimaScripts 2009.

P

packrat

You may not care. But a lot of us do. No one is forcing you to read these forums. We are here to inform other players. For someone that doesn't care you sure did take the time to read the 3 pages of post.

Or because i choose not to answer due to my disability making jsut answering difficult. Or because I have to converse wtih a GM to keep from being hauled to jail.
For being disabled you sure had to click a bunch to get here and you had to type this message. How hard would it be to say "Hi" or to make a macro that says "hi" or "get lost" with one simple key stroke to do it. I know a few people that are disabled, and one is legally blind (he has his computer hooked up to a big screen tv to be able to see the screen). And they dont mind the trouble as long as its not a harrassment, they hate these guys as much as we do. They know people are just trying to get to the ligit scripters. I have been playing many years and I bet I never had 5 people bug me to see if I was scripting and never once had a gm come ask if I was here.

Nowadays I see people invising creatures (blue beetles, golems) because they automatically assume they are scripting. I see people paged on because they wont answer a player when they ask if they are there. I see areas blocked off(example heartwood) to put a damper in the scripters paths. Again, I dont care if its legit...but how the hell do you know whats legit if you dont even know if the person is really there?
I don't know what shard you play on but I have not witnessed any of this going on, on Napa.. I am on often and go all over looking to find these guys farming gold. The only thing I see going on is the ones that are messing with the real scripters. Most of us on here know where to find them and thats why we are posting here. To keep everyone up to day..

Enjoy the game and ignore the buttheads. Set a little macro that says something and if they ask something just hit the macro key and im sure they will move on.

Mister E.

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Colter DC...

you are comparing apples to um...monkey wrenches. My point is albiet the culprit is obviously gold farming, vigilante justice is no solution. I am at the end of my rope with the game due to this type of justice...because in the end innocent people do get hurt.

@ Salivern_Diago...

Two wrongs make a right? I played this game primarily grief free until it recieved a teen tag. Can you explain that? Two of my chars had names that were GM approved years ago, can you explain why those same names account for two marks on my otherwise flawless record? Griefing is not the answer to problems. IF you cant turn your cheek in a video game about something that does not affect you THEN you have a RL issue you need to deal with. After all, when you smell your neighbors cooking do you help yourself to thier meal because you live nearby?

The more players police other players, the less much of that player base will want to play. I dont need to feel like someone is constantly looking over my shoulder, waiting for me to drop the ball. This is called a game, and games are supposed to be fun. If you cant allow others to have fun without worrying about what they are doing...quit. The arguement that people leave due to rampant cheating tho is outrageous, they left due to poor GM service. Those of us left are getting tired of people trying to act the part of GMs.

@everyone....

Grow up and look at yourselves. If you dont like the game, leave. Quit complaining and try to enjoy yourselves again.If you see something you dont like either report it or turn the other cheek. If you do anything else BESIDES that you are breaking the same damn rules you are complaining about others breaking. Pot...Kettle...Black!

Check Please!!!

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cant explain why you have marks on your account, only you know what you did to get those marks. I also believe that a Red chara killing a blue in Fel is a part of the game, if you dont believe so then I believe you are in the wrong game. Maybe WoW might please you more?

And not being funny here, I understand you may have a disability. But that gives you no right to flame others on here nor to play the pity me game.

In my line of work, I have to deal with disabled children and to treat them any different to anyone else is not only ill manners its also completely wrong. Packrats post beheld nothing wrong in what he said. In fact it makes perfect sense to make a macro if its that painful for you to type.

Just dont you dare use your disability as an excuse to flame others on here. Any understanding I may have had has completely vanished.

I will go after any scripter who fails to respond to talking or to changes in the envioment. Its working and its within the rules of the Game, in fact its also what the DEV's want you to do.. Faction wars, Fel battles...

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ill be brutally honest with you
i had no idea they operated on the other shards..i know of my shard, i know this has been the same deal and chars for years! and it used to only be the prism of light and ice feinds...
there are times when they are at the screen...maybe there always at the screen..who knows...i never bothered them for about a year, until i was building a new char and needed to go to the trogz for skill build up. all 3 of em came in and took it apon themselves to lure a bunch of trogz to me and then they left...they waited, they would come in from time to time to see what was going down..noticed i killed the spawn..so they would give up and leave, on one occasion i died and 1 of em looted my aids and didnt bother to rez me....well..i wont **** n moan about it..this is the reason i know that they are at the screen alot of the time..but from then on, when i see them in fel trogz, i kill them..anywhere in fel, i kill them...because i can, in tram i wont kill them because i cant, i wont lure to them because my luck..ill be banned, they are at the screen and they will page..but ill kill em every chance i get in fellucia, if it isnt me itll be someone else..sorry

Mister E.

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
rtlfc...you are right...i dont have any reason to get personal. i do however have a good reason to be frustrated...and dealing with people like Packrat in that manner comes easy to me. why? because they feel their claim is jsutified because of what they think, not the facts.

i dont want a pity party. the whole point in me mentioning it was that out of all people i know firsthand the discrimination of point and click. yet i still stay for the majority of the game script free. (i do skills with scripts now...because i cant handle the point and click anymore.) again tho...if you want to know how it feels just gimme yoru addy and i will come smash your hands with a hammer.

i think you should go reread my posts before you get an attitude with me and my frustrations. again, the problem between people in game is 90% assumption, kinda like the problem between people in this thread.

sorry to burst yoru bubble, but unless you are in fel greifing is not allowed. in fact it ranks right up there with scripting. if i am not mistaken this forum does not allow posting about things that violate the ToS either. hence my frstration.

again...let me reiterate...kill them all you want in fel...thats not griefing, its part fo the game. however dont come to the boards talking about invising people, blocking people, or greifing people in general. its against the ToS.
thats what i have a problem with. unfortunately some dont seem to understand that.

P

packrat

using my disability against me? what a bunch of horse dung jackass! perhaps you would like me to come to your house and hit your hands with a hammer? because thats how much it hurts right now just posting. regardless, i still do because of idiots like you.
Ok, I wasn't going to mention this. Since you made an accusation you know nothing about. Im going to straighten you out just for a second.
I know all about disabilities. I am totally disabled. I was injured during a SWAT operation, fell 20feet and was paralyzed from the neck down. After 15 surgeries I am walking again. But I still have paralysis on my right side to a degree. Thats one of the reasons I don't pvp anymore. My reaction time is not what it use to be. If you want to know about pain sir, I can tell you about pain. You don't see me complaining about it. I learned to get over it a long time ago.
I play the game to have fun. And what these guys are doing to the UO economy is not right. I spent hours doing the heartwood trying to get a good fletchers tool to sell to my friends. At first I was doing pretty good. Now I almost have to give them away. I wasted upteen hours doing bods to get a barbed kit and would make around 3-5 mill once every 3-4 months. Because it was difficult to get bods. Now they are less than 2 mil. I spend my time at this computer doing the things I like and make a little gold to help my friends. In the past month I have given over 15 mil in gold to people that needed help with houses, scrolls, armor, arties and not to mention the new players I see running around that need help. And because of these guys the things I use to make gold with are selling for less and less. And the items are more expensive because they are flooding the market with gold.
I don't grief anyone unless they deserve grief.

And where I am from, if you smell my cooking you can come eat anytime you want to. I feed anyone that is hungry, thats what a cajun chef does.
The only one I see complaining on here is you.

J

Joyous2K

Packrats post beheld nothing wrong in what he said. In fact it makes perfect sense to make a macro if its that painful for you to type.
There's no UO requirement to have to answer an angry mob.

Griefing by luring is a violation of something in the rules and people here are advocating doing that intentionally.

I don't know if he is MS or not, and I don't care, but this angry mob has got to get over it and see a bigger picture. Maybe it is a poor chinese trying to earn yuan to feed his poor child. If this scripter man is beaten nightly because he is earning 1/10th of what he earned a week ago, will that appease the mob? If he is fired and his child starves, will the mob cease then? Maybe it is a mafia run scripting ring. If income dwindles so that scripting isn't profitable anymore and they start breaking players legs, will the vigilante babies stop?

Don't buy their gold and put them under that way. That is the free market doing what it does.

Don't buy gold with RL currency and demand that UO make a game that can be played. This will eliminate gold farming and won't violate the rules doing it.

UltimaScripts 2009

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Packrat your posts are only going to achieve one thing: get this thread locked. I would suggest you do not get into arguments. If someone does not agree with people then they have every right to do so and arguing with them is pointless.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, as we are paying customers I'm pretty sure it does give us some voice in how we deal with EA.

For instance, as I posted before if I get fed up and leave I'll take my $40 per month and spend it on something else while playing on a freeshard. I'll still get my pvm/pvp fix and save the money. And as to why I've stayed on the offical shards for so long? Becuase I actually like the events, feel and for the most part the people who play it.

I dont enjoy cheaters getting away with stuff things that takes me weeks to do if I click.

And buying UO Gold? I happen to sell gold and all of that is earned though the game with me sitting here, pointing and clicking. Not all traders are scripters, and not all cheat...

I dont script and I dont cheat.

J

Joyous2K

Well, that is kind of my point. I think EA should make it illegal to sell gold for RL cash and make the game more accommodating for players like myself. I'm not in favor of selling UO things for RL currency under any circumstances.

If UO could put together a script expansion, that would be awesome. I would pay for that. I would like the ability to manage a crew of lumberjacks to harvest timber for me. This grind has got to stop, and I don't want to stop it by paying a third party.

I can see how you feel that you earned the money from gold farming the natural way, but let's face it, when currency is involved, people are going to start using the juice so that they can make more money than the regular guy. And money is all it is about as soon as it is brought into the equation. I am in favor of EA making that money as they are the ones that manage the game and determine whether or not the game continues.

Mister E.

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ packrat...

im not a jerk mind you, i am just tired of all the constant complaints about the same thing, i am tired of seeing people posting about how they broke the rules to grief them when they *felt* the GMs werent doing what they are paid for. the system broke down here, its that simple.

second, i am a very generous and giving player...so any thoughts or comments otherwise are unecessary. if however prvoked i will and do speak out against it. if you dont like it then dont post, and dont grief by way of moderator post report...because all you are doing is proving my point in the direction the agme has taken. which simply put is people spend too much time thinking about what others are doing wrong and not paying attention to what THEY are doing wrong as a result. perfect example is when you report a post just because you dont like what was said.

in regards to my mentioning MS, i really dont give a poo what you think on the matter. it was brought up not to get sypathy, but rather to hopefully get people to understand how assenine thier actions are in teh end. hell, with my condition one would think i would script the game out, but no...just the opposite...i play through the pain and deal with it. AND I DONT CONCERN MYSELF WITH EVERYONE WHO DOESNT TALK TO ME OR AGREE WITH MY SENSE OF HUMOR IN NAME CHOICE!! I DONT CONCERN MYSELF WITH PEOPLE PAGED ON FOR DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL, ITS THE GMs CONCERN. IN ALL I WORRY ABOUT WHAT IM DOING, ALWAYS ON THE LOOK OUT FOR SOME GREIFING ASS ONLY PLAYING TO MAKE OTHERS MISERABLE!

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is just an unfortunate fact that making RMT (real money trades) against the terms of service just as likely to make it more prevalent then it is now. No game on the market, including those that put a lot of GM effort and player aid into overcoming it, has been successful at getting rid of it.

It does drive it more underground, driving the real money to game currency prices higher. This in turn makes it more lucrative on a time to profit ratio for the bot runners. And potentially attracts more of them into the market.

Like alcohol and drugs, you are very unlikely to ever get rid of it as long as demand exists. Yes, if you can make the cost of business high enough, and therefore prices in real dollars high enough, you can slow demand.

The one and only partial solution to this is more GM expenditure by the game team along with player cooperation systems for reporting. Having the company agree to raise their cost structure on an aging game seems unlikely to me.

For me, it just seems better to take the game as it exists and play it or not based on entertainment value for my money, then hoping for some grand change that will solve the problem.

Mister E.

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Amber...

I agree with you 100%. So just like life, learn to turn the other cheek. Once you report a matter there is nothing left to say or do. If all of us can follow up with this we will all in the end enjoy things more. I for one do not enjoy coming to a forum filled with negativity, and the same applies to the game. Thanks for your input on the matter.

@ JC...

Thanks...those two were worth a ton!

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How dare you align me with cheaters, fraudsters and other criminals! I sell UO gold and as its currently LEGAL to do so, you have no basis to slander me like that!

Online items are sold as "Right to hold", your right I cant sell something I dont own. But I can sell the right to hold the "items" in a transfer of usage.

You sir, are just a flamer trying to play on peoples compassion. Especially as you cannot prove you suffer from any disability and could quite likely made it all up.

With regards to your last post...

in regards to my mentioning MS, i really dont give a poo what you think on the matter. it was brought up not to get sypathy, but rather to hopefully get people to understand how assenine thier actions are in teh end. hell, with my condition one would think i would script the game out, but no...just the opposite...i play through the pain and deal with it. AND I DONT CONCERN MYSELF WITH EVERYONE WHO DOESNT TALK TO ME OR AGREE WITH MY SENSE OF HUMOR IN NAME CHOICE!! I DONT CONCERN MYSELF WITH PEOPLE PAGED ON FOR DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL, ITS THE GMs CONCERN. IN ALL I WORRY ABOUT WHAT IM DOING, ALWAYS ON THE LOOK OUT FOR SOME GREIFING ASS ONLY PLAYING TO MAKE OTHERS MISERABLE!
Hang on, you said before...

i dont want a pity party. the whole point in me mentioning it was that out of all people i know firsthand the discrimination of point and click. yet i still stay for the majority of the game script free. (i do skills with scripts now...because i cant handle the point and click anymore.) again tho...if you want to know how it feels just gimme yoru addy and i will come smash your hands with a hammer.
Stop lying mate, it makes you look desperate expecially when you feel the need to lower everyone else to your level. As for this little triad, I'm going back to topic and ignoring any belittling excuse you'll bring up.

Goodbye and goodnight.

Mister E.

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How dare you align me with cheaters, fraudsters and other criminals! I sell UO gold and as its currently LEGAL to do so, you have no basis to slander me like that!

Online items are sold as "Right to hold", your right I cant sell something I dont own. But I can sell the right to hold the "items" in a transfer of usage.

You sir, are just a flamer trying to play on peoples compassion. Especially as you cannot prove you suffer from any disability and could quite likely made it all up.

With regards to your last post...

Hang on, you said before...

Stop lying mate, it makes you look desperate expecially when you feel the need to lower everyone else to your level. As for this little triad, I'm going back to topic and ignoring any belittling excuse you'll bring up.

Goodbye and goodnight.
lmao...wtf ever. did i mention scripting for profit? i was open and honest about what i did, its right there...in black and white even! what i do has no affect on anyone else, but yet everyone else is still concerned.

your *legit sales* sales??? read the rules...you know...this rule...

With the exception of the sale of in-game items for in-game items or services, you may not market, promote or advertise anything, or make any other form of solicitation (including pyramid schemes and chain letters) through the Ultima Online service or Ultima Online web site.

or how about this one?

(c) Rights. You acknowledge and agree that all characters created, and items acquired and developed as a result of game play are part of the Software and Service and are the sole property of Electronic Arts. You acknowledge that: (i) the Software and the Service permit access to Content that is protected by copyrights, trademarks, and other proprietary rights owned by Electronic Arts or Content Providers (collectively, "Rights"), and (ii) these Rights are valid and protected in all media existing now or later developed, and (iii) except as is explicitly provided otherwise, your use of Content shall be governed by the copyright laws of the United States and other applicable laws. You agree that you may upload or otherwise transmit on or through the Service only Content that is not subject to any Rights, or Content in which any holder of Rights has given express authorization for distribution on the Service. By submitting Content to any area on the Service, you automatically grant (or you warrant that the owner of such Content has expressly granted) to Electronic Arts the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such Content worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed for the full term including any renewal term of any Rights that may exist in such Content.

cant be any clearer than it is there. so get off my sack, and stop trying to use fancy language to justify something thats not legal. again, as i said earlier...POT...KETTLE....BLACK.

P

packrat

Whats strange here is that the ones who are opposed to what we are doing admitted to running scripts. I think their goal is to get this thread locked so they can quiet us down. I was accused of arguing so Im not saying any more.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's see if we can end this flame war and move the discussion in a more fruitful direction.

Let's suppose for the moment that through a combination of player reporting and GM actions, scripting gets pretty much shut down. Here is what happens: the value of gold in real dollars rises because of the effort involved. At some point it becomes viable to use third world labor to do the farming instead of scripts.

The result is you are likely see live controlled characters in the same places and doing all the same actions you see the scripters now. So to each of you: How would you feel about this? Why is it different and how does it improve your game experience.

I am not advocating here, just trying to dig down to the underlying issues.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The difference is that someone is actually working for the gold. There is a huge different to someone running a script to gain skills, gold etc and doing something else than to the person who actually spend a few hours of his life playing, enjoying and suceeding at the game.

Scripting in all its forms is cheating, doing it yourself isnt.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The difference is that someone is actually working for the gold. There is a huge different to someone running a script to gain skills, gold etc and doing something else than to the person who actually spend a few hours of his life playing, enjoying and suceeding at the game.

Scripting in all its forms is cheating, doing it yourself isnt.
Fair enough. Now please finish the question. How is your gameplay effected by others cheating? Do you view the game as competition and feel your effort is devalued? Do you think all players view the game accomplishments as competition?

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enjoy trading in game. Be it for some old tat or something worthwhile. Now say I spent two days working towards something in game.. a BR-Kit a good example. A few years ago I could sell it for 5, 6 or even 7 mil and get a decent return on my time and be well chuffed. Now, why would I bother with something that sells for 1.6mil? The Scripters have single handedly demo'd the ecomony in the game and destroyed what I feel (very strongly about) what was once a strong point of UO.

Or say, someone's running a mining script. I go to mine at the spawn locations to get the Valorite Ore only to find its been mined dry. So I leave it and come back 10 mins later when its respawned only to find its been mined dry again. So I wait and watch, and over and over again the same guy recalls in, mines it and recalls out. Every 8 mins, 24/7. Next thing I know the worth of Valorite has dropped and its no-longer worth me mining it so I have to end up buying it.

Thats how its spoilt it for me, and in my mind at lest there is no excuse for it at all.

Mister E.

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enjoy trading in game. Be it for some old tat or something worthwhile. Now say I spent two days working towards something in game.. a BR-Kit a good example. A few years ago I could sell it for 5, 6 or even 7 mil and get a decent return on my time and be well chuffed. Now, why would I bother with something that sells for 1.6mil? The Scripters have single handedly demo'd the ecomony in the game and destroyed what I feel (very strongly about) what was once a strong point of UO.

Or say, someone's running a mining script. I go to mine at the spawn locations to get the Valorite Ore only to find its been mined dry. So I leave it and come back 10 mins later when its respawned only to find its been mined dry again. So I wait and watch, and over and over again the same guy recalls in, mines it and recalls out. Every 8 mins, 24/7. Next thing I know the worth of Valorite has dropped and its no-longer worth me mining it so I have to end up buying it.

Thats how its spoilt it for me, and in my mind at lest there is no excuse for it at all.

scripters have almost nothing to do with the cost of the kits in the game. blame the ingame changes to the BOD system and a declining player base for the fall in those prices.

your logic on the cost of ingots is flawed too. if not for scripters ingots would cost less, because the demand would be less.(bod farmers/fillers) the script miners themsselves aer not even an issue...as they have been around for ages. so...what would you like? ending scripting kill both the supply and demand of the ingots. *sighs*

on the flip side of the coin many would argue that gold sales for RL money be the culprit. legally gathered or scripted, selling gold for RL cash was deemed against the rules for good reason.

yours, mine, and everyone elses poo stinks. regardless of weather or not we will agree...the stink remains. keep this in mind the next time you walk outta the can.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ok. Is it fair to say you view it as interference with your game play? If it was a live third world worker taking the same actions, would your game play be less affected?

I will try to cut to the point of the entire discussion and get to the root of it.

Viewing game accomplishments as competitive is a perfectly valid approach to the game. I'd even go so far as to say that most MMO players take this approach.

What nearly all competitive players seek is fairness: a level playing field. Your objection here is that scripting is unfair (perhaps rightly so). You have an expectation that the rules of the game will enforce fairness.

The problem is that in these MMOs fairness is impossible to control with the rules and perhaps even with high levels of GM involvement. Is it fair if I can play all day every day and someone else can't? Is if fair if I have lots of real life money and can buy my way to top items instead of 'working" foir them? I am sure there are many other examples as well.

My point here is that the rules don't define fairness, only your own perception does. And your perceptions of game fairness are not universal.

I am not saying give scripting as pass. It is currently against the rules. If on the other hand, the rules were changed to allow scripting or afk play, it would likely seem just as unfair as now.

A

AesSedai

i dont script for profit...in fact besides skill gain i am for the most part against scripting. what i do has no effect on either the game or its economy. in fact, i do it to save myself pain. working one account to max skills was enough...with MS i decided not to go thru that pain (literally) again.

so you misinterpreted what i said, called me a liar, called me a little man, grouped me into the same group as gold farmers and then had the nerve to question me being adult enough to know better. good job sir.

two words....WITCH HUNT.
- I hate to be mean, but the bold is false.

Why? Because you are automating a task that speeds up your ability to impact both the game and the economy.

Btw, if you are talking about using (scripting with) UO macros or UOAssist, then I apologize for assuming the term 'scripting' means utilizing illegal programs in order to write macros.

Btw, with UO macros, UOAssist macros (what $15? No excuse to use illegal programs to script), and now KR macros: There is not much reason at all to use an illegal application if you like to consider yourself a legitimate UO player. Many, many keystrokes can be avoided all-the-while playing within the established rules of the game by simply utilizing what is legally available.

P

packrat

scripters have almost nothing to do with the cost of the kits in the game. blame the ingame changes to the BOD system and a declining player base for the fall in those prices.
Mister E. These guys are scripting the bods also. They have ways of hiding it and people have already pointed it out in other post. We are not here to grief the honest people. We are here to make others aware of whats going on. And as much right as you have to complain about us, we have just as much right to complain about them. I don't page on everyone I see sitting still. If I go to a place and they are there 24/7 and doing the same thing and not responding to odd game play then you know these guys are not real players. Then I report them. I never ask anyone if they are at the keyboard because at times when i have to do things and I dont log out. I will walk away from the computer for a few minutes and come right back.
And the more people we make aware of the problem the more we might change someones mind about buying gold over the internet. I don't buy gold over the internet because of this very problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.