• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Samurai Empire concern and question thread

S

Socko

yeah i understand that, but its still a good idea to stay true to the real life fiction of the ninja.

P

Puppy

-Will there be more tamables other than the flying dragon? I realize the dragon is probably the only ridable.

-Will we get any new artwork in 2D or just flattened 3D art like before? And if so, are there any plans to update any of the artwork we got in AOS and Third Dawn so that instead of squashed-flat 3D art we actually get 2D art? I am thinking specifically of the very funny looking demons, unicorns, kirins, and swamp dragons. Their artwork just looks out of place in 2D.

-Will we get new craftables? If so, will their artwork be like the new tailored items--fur boots and so forth--that look different as static art but are just old artwork when worn?

-Will there be any new crafting resources, the way we can now use bones to make bone armor? I'd really like to see silk introduced. Perhaps we could be able to cultivate silkworms to produce so many yards of silk a day, the way the gardening system works, and that silk could be spun (on a special type of spinning wheel, perhaps, craftable of course) into silk cloth that tailors could use to make certain types of new clothes--silk komono, and so forth.

-Will there be a BOD system implemented for a new skill? I had heard rumors of tinkering getting BODs next. Also, will there be any changes to the current BOD systems?

B

Black_Sabath

How will Chivilary, & Bushido spells, & abilities stack in PvM? Can we expect to see EoO, Conscreate Weapon, Bushido (something), & Double Strike 1 hit kill Dragon, Balron etc...?

Z

Zardo Zap

I just want to know if they might fix up dragon armour as part of the expansion.

Just now its harder to make and worse than normal armour - especially the yellow variety.

Zardo

M

Maruchan

- Which ruleset will be enabled here?

I posted a response to this in the Idea Den. Its longer, more thaught out but here goes. We currently have 3 tram ruleset and 1 fel. There really should be one more fel ruleset added to the game. Reds are currently restricted to a single land, Felluca. People say Blah BLah do the crime do the time. Yup they totally DO the time, 40 hours per murder to be exact, so they just sit around in one shard for about 6000 hours playtime. Thiefs as well are restricted. There really needs to one more fel ruleset to aid those of use who enjoy the OTHER gameplay UO has to offer. Maybe give a blue the advantage some how in the shard with active guards around who will assist in aiding the blues (not Town guard one blow gunners but an NPC type character) but give the rogues something back.

I

imported_john of jhelom

Will this expansion hit the shelves in Europe?
The answer i'd like to see should be one of the following:
"YES"
"NO"
"It's up to the european marketing division of EA"
(which we now know is equivalent to "NO")

M

MrBell

<blockquote><hr>

Id like to know if they mean by
"Build Farms, Residences, Tea Houses, Pagodoas, Temples, and Castles."

<hr></blockquote>
I strongly suspect this means they will give decorating tools to talented architects that can make the most of it. Heh.

With a handful of exceptions, everyone living east of the Pacific need not apply.

M

Mysticales

Hey wouldnt it be cool if you had towns hidden in the mountain passes?
Also wouldnt it be cool if OSI GAVE us the pre sized plot with roads etc already built for it? Sorta like a pre made town, but the players are the ones who place the homes there in the plot. Basically a pre made player run town. That would cut down on random houses and add a nice feature to see a town town with roads, etc youd see in a town, but its all players not NPC.

I think that might be more fun in the long run to see smaller based player towns, vs empty NPC towns who no one really cares about. Plus you wont see UBER size houses like in malas.. as the plots would be pre set.. meaning is the plot is able to place a 7x13 MAX.. thats it. Nothing larger as it would affect the towns roads or feature designs. Just a idea.

M

Moradin of LS

If they are going to have housing make it limited and in the flavor of Japanese fuedal.

1)Have certain areas that have plots of different sizes. Like around cites or farm like areas.

2)Have these areas divided up and in control of Damiyos(sp). Either npc or npc/EM controlled.(I am assuming that not all EM's favor people that play at certain times and days like ours does. If they do no EM control.)

3) Instead of buying these plots you must earn them through quests with the local Damiyo(sp). The bigger the plot require more and tougher quests. Plots can't be sold.

4) You can also lose your plot when failing to do your masters bidding.( there would have to be some type of grace period for vacations and such)

This idea is just something different and may not be doable. It gives us a different way to get a house and a different gaming environment.

Maybe make some guild or faction plots where they have to work to keep the spots and smaller spots are awarded by the guild to members.

It may help to prevent the AoS fiasco which some people recieved the expansion 1 or 2 days before the offical release and got good spots before the server crashing land rush. Also the spots won't be sitting on ebay(empty) waiting for a buyer either like some spots in Malas I know of.

B

Bonobo62

I'm totally concerned that I won't be able to commit sepukku with a Frisbee.

K

Klapios

Ha ha ha ha good one, are you already a fan or did you click my link?

Don't forget about flying!!

B

Bonobo62

I've been a semi-fan for a while now. It's one of those sites I forget about for a long time until someone comes along and reminds me how cool it is.

N

Niles

'm not sure if this was talked about yet or not. But I'm wandering about the Guild War thing. Since at this current time I'm in a guild war for RP reasons on Legends and I have 3 allies to my guild I was wandering if we'll be able to heal those that aren't at war with but that are still at war or something of that concept because a friend of mine got killed and no one could rez her as she is in a differnet guild so she had to go to a shrine or find a wandering healing to get rez. I was just wandering if this would be touched with the updated changes with the Guild stone and how it works because I think this is one key reason why alot of people don't do wars and could possabley bring back Order and Choas as well as open more warring guilds. Since my understand on legneds we're the only guilds at war.:) So I hope this is able to get answereed in the expasoion

M

mouser-SFO

Will housing be made available by giving everyone a chance to install and upgrade their UO Client packages and then everyone gets an equal chance to place a castle? Or will it be first come first serve?

B

B_Brian_Blair

I think it is great uo is giving more back to the warrior classes. Necro is kinda love for magic users. Magic users got lots of love, how about mage weapons not only do you not need to work another skill to become and instant fighter they also help mages become better mages by lower their magery unless that staff of the magi thing. Mages have got love for a long time on uo not it is time for the warrios to get something to keep up with the super mages in fel without becoming a mage themself.

G

Geldamir2

Possibly some focus on things not involving pvp or pvm
i know most who play do 1 of the 2
but possibly adding some asian plants with new seeds and abilities.
also a new style for crafting
it is becoming insane how a suit of normal leather armor can protect my warrior better than a set of top of the line plate mail.
also give something back to mixed templates.
like bards with carpentry
or thieves with tinkering
it seems like there is no place for these mixed templates in UO anymore.
with the introduction of Publish 25 the new hot templates are the nox fighter and the nox mage.
things like this destroy a large part of what uo was pre uor im not trying to rant that pre uor was better actually i like post aos
the game is at a faster pace things go by so much quicker it seems like
but going back to more traditional roleplaying especially with the introduction of an expansion which seems to be stressing 2 new classes is a good way to alter things significantly.

S

skin2

This is a excellent idea
it reminds me of ultima 4 where you could only buy certain regs in certain towns
so you had to hunt high and low to get them
saying that with LRC suits who's going to bother LOL

but making necro spells buyable ( or craftable ) would be nice

i think you should take this idea to the "idea's den " i vote aye on it for a start
i'd do it myself but i don't want to nick your idea mate

S

skin2

Will this be released in europe at the same time as the rest of the world?

we got screwed over royally with AOS and 7th anniversery
why is EA totaly discrinating against a huge part of their player base?
can you find out whats going to happen since you seem to have the ear of EA

we want this at the same time as everyone else not 2 months later
and we don't want a massive influx of american tourists placing a load of houses on this land like they did in malas and then selling on ebay !

1Slayer1

Will the new expansion come with some introductory sotry and perhaps some events?
One thing I noticed about AoS was Malas didnt seem to get much of an introduction... it was kinda just "there", although there was one story about the whirlpool...

I get a little irritated when things appear without any explanation... perhaps there should be a sea route aswell (different words for serpent pillars?). It is a persistant world after all, right?

G

Slightly outside the expansion itself but...
it would be great if EA did something with OU.com, which is badly out of date and very poorly organised. If they are keen to entice new players into the game (many of whom will use the website as a first point of call) they would do well to have a major overhaul. At the moment stratics is the only site worth viewing for an alround view of the game.

M

Mustang

I think its amazing how many people are worried about the new characters and them being two powerfull. Everyone who says that is a mage at heart. Me i'm a warrior and the only thing they are good for is PvM. I would love to PvP with my Warrior but its utterly hopeless cause your dead by the time you get to get a hit off. I think that its about time that warriors get some reconigtion instead of getting their skills nerfed all the time.

B

Bid

with the addition of an asian flavor will we at last get a true open hand fighting form IE:karate or such?? also will bushido and ninjitsu require other weapon skill IE:swords or will those skill in these arts be able to use any weapon?

W

wolframV

No, there is a difference. The samurai were mentioned in historical records around the 10th century. Their ideals, standards and views of honor were far different from that of the western world at the time.
Very few westerners made it that far east. It was aworld full of empires during those centuries and UO could go far with exploring them all....Vikings, to note, were alive and kicking too.
It can go well beyond samurai and ninja.

T

themashayekh

Will there be any event putting player ninjas versus player samurai?

What I mean by this is with AOS, we got all excited about the tension between the two cities (Luna and Umbra) and the potential for a war event between Paladins and Necros. Unfortunately, that never happened. Might there (please please please) be something along the lines of warring event for the new lands and professions? Maybe even redeeming AOS by having Paladins ally with Samurai and Ninja with Necro?

*crosses fingers*

B

Black_Sabath

I rember a Developer Posting in one of the UOHoC that Golems were going to get some work done on them in the Expansion. Is this still going to be done? or is it postponed to a later date?

W

Windmere

You've made a very good list on questions and concerns - my only question is....when can we expect to see the answers to these questions?

G

There was a mentioning of BREEDING ANIMALS. Will it be possible to breed animals in the farms? e.g. Horses, crossing them to make better ones, wait for mutations to increase their abilities? Crossing the mutants further to combine their traits and so on. Breed dragons?

THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!!

M

Moradin of LS

Hving animals breed would bring this game back to mature(18 and older only.)

V

VileX

i doubt there would be a graphic of 2 horses banging... seriously... it would just spawn a new horse or something or an egg

K

Kaopectate

The ridable dragon looks like a giant chicken. This concerns me since it may lead to more player hating for the tamers. Chickens should be ate and not ridden. Please insert a real dragon to ride and not atomic chickens. That is all..

G

Come on this is rediculous! It would work like having two animals in one farm tile together and then after a few days have a third one spawning there.

Being able to optimize mounts by your breeding efforts would add incredible depth to the game. If it is programmed in a sophisticated manner, each player could aim to optimize his strains according to his personal taste, STR, DEX etc. color, magery etc.

Come on, implement this!

Z

Zardo Zap

Hi

In the crafting changes can we clarify what you mean by Dragon barding - its potentially mixing up swamp dragon barding and the dragon armour which people wear.

The dragon scale armour is completely useless as it is more difficult to make than any other metal armour and has fewer points. Yellow scale armour is inferior in every way to gold armour.

So maybe we could add in/change the line to clarify its dragon scale armour we are talking about (either as well as or opposed to swamp dragon barding).

Cheers,

Zardo

B

BajaDweller

Will you guys finally implement, and allow us bowyers to craft, the Japanese Long Bow released in Third Dawn?

L

Lobsang

im just curious how ninjas and samaruais will work with existing templates
ninjas for example seem to be a really crowded template
u would really need wep tac anat (to fight of course) healing (to heal) resist (if u pvp a must) hide stealth (need those skills to be like a ninja) some form of med or focus, which is already 8 skills, doesnt leave much room for ninja skill

im hopin that if u have hide stealth u will have access to ninja skills as opposed to makin ninjas an entire new skill

A

AlphaIIOmega

Will the new expansion be felucca rules?

It should be, since the previous 3 expansion lands have all been trammel rulseset (trammel/ilshenar/malas).

The new land should have new doom/champion spawn type bosses, that will drop powerscrolls and/or artifacts in regards to the new expansion: So any new powerscrolls/artifacts relating to the samurai or ninja classes, should be dropped from these monsters.

Furthur more, the new monsters released should give a higher % of good loot dropped going up the better the monster. So players can actually use luck suits in the fel based rules and hunt new monsters for items, with profitable results.

E

eolsunder1

God I would love a thought out and planned housing area, instead of the "here it is, go place!" method. Back in the old days when Trammel first came out, I suggest such a thing to make the housing go smoother, of course no one listened.

I wish they would for this. The housing areas would be designed and laid out before hand, no houses of course, but empty plots of different sizes laid out i a town like fashion, with npc shops, streets or roads, filler (gardens, shrines, etc) and players could find a plot and set up their house. They could put in houses of a certain size or smaller, but the housing areas would be laid out with smaller houses on the outside, and lesser, but larger houses could be build in the interior.

I also hope that the new lands are introduced after a certain time, so that ALL players have the same chance to place. Its very sad that one section of players can have weeks to put stuff in while other players are still waiting for the game to arrive. Americans buy game, load in game, run to the new lands, mm already filled up with asian players selling their homes to the newly arrived westerners. Yea, nice.

And lastly, it would be SOOO great if the new land was the only place you could put up certain houses. Would make it unique and awesome. Maybe custom homes only, no old school prebuild houses like villas/castles/towers, etc. OHHH maybe a few asian only prebuilt houses.

Ok im ranting, time to quit. (sadly, none of it will ever happen LOL)

N

Nefertiti pt

Why do the devs always go for only one kind of style play that is PVM when new patchs come out ..... Ninja is the assassin of the culture of oriental right? it is supposed to be the ancient art of murdering there oponents ... But as many postes and many ignored feedback by the people that develops this new expansion i see who win and who lost ...

And yes each day that they begin new expansion they only think in only the easiest way to achieve hapiness

And this horrible that is scary me is what will they do next to spoil the PvP system

Trammel - Malas now Tokumo as Mr Tact stated in some UOHOC that i could not find....

Do they think in all the customers or only in the majority of customers that there fun is fighting monsters?

Do our feedback are important we that like to fight other players and have some fun with this kind of game?

Is it not bad enought that the same old debate of Rulesets comes everytime new expansion comes out?

The supposed analyses of the kind of playstyle of players cant be only the ones that says no its not what we the pvm players whant you to do...

No feedback is every gaved because it is on the secret of the gods but the truth is what many says everyday in every new post of discussion of ruleset....

Its sad as most of the people that realy enjoys to PvP are not age based
Its sad that the developers of each expansion that supposly should ask some relation publisher with the players to ask if they agree or not but again im trammie discovering the loves of pvp...

We have siege yes but why do we have to lost our characters in productin shards to be able to play with only 1 char??

If there where nice study the developers should realise that they are only putting effort in one kind of game play only one kind of player base...

People ask people ask but i think its time for the people working on this game to realise that...

There is not only one kind of player base and play style in UO
You cant force people to play in shard where they have to have only 1 char...
Its time you think that its not chaging the kind of pvp that you will silence the voices off so many that always give up to the ones that comes here and says NO i dont whant this....

I dont no if this belongs here or not but my i realy whis they would listen for once the other part of player base that UO has...

2 Facets under trammel ruleset
1 facet under Felluca Ruleset

But as Mr tact sayed and again he only gived importance to one kind of play style

U

uohamster

A lot of the dungeons in Ilshenar have a feel that they weren't completed.

Even the gargoyle city looks like the designer intended to do more there.

Here's hoping with time some development love will be put into Ilshenar. There are a lot of incredible dungeons there that look unfinished.

I'm extremely excited about bushido and ninjitsu. I'm hoping that both of them don't require many skills. I would like to see the ability to make many different kinds of them.

Future character names?

You guessed it.

Samurai Hamster
or
Ninja Hamster

Anyway "Oda Nobunaga Hamster" prolly wouldn't fit into the character name box. =)

I'm still hoping that any 'gadgets' related to ninjas or samurai are manufactured by tinkers, i.e. smoke bombs, darts, throwing stars.

(especially smoke bombs).

*theme music from Kung Fu plays while a small rodent with a katana does a sunset kata*

U

uohamster

There is something to be said about 2d sprites. They're crisper looking and much easier to get those monster bars pulled off of.

Just tonight was near Delucia and was smouldering over how its a pain in the neck to drag the monster bar off of something like the redone bone magi.

*very interested in this issue*

U

uohamster

Nukachus? Will we have them?

Any chance of dual wielding weapons?

U

uohamster

<blockquote><hr>

I am on edge thinking about ninja
being able to wear any armor.
It will REALLY take away the feel
of being a ninja.
But on the same note ninja will
be unplayable pretty much without
armor.

Any word on this?
Im not sure I'll be able to handle
Ninja wearing anything besides
leather.

<hr></blockquote>

I'd like to see the ninja class actually be penalized for wearing armor. Perhaps restrict ninjas to only clothing...A ninja's resistances could be highly dependent on current stamina perhaps.

For example... 125 stamina, all 70's...

A ninja with 0 stamina, all 0's...

(And I don't mean max stamina (dex), I mean current stamina.

There could be issues with ninjas chugging massive amounts of total refresh potions though...

Regardless of how its done, I never picture a ninja in armor. Ever.

U

uohamster

<blockquote><hr>

Smoke Bombs: Will these require tinkering or Alchemy?
Will they require Ninjitsu to throw?
Will they require hiding?
Can they be used in mid battle?

<hr></blockquote>

Hmm...I'd like them to require tinkering to manufacture but USE nightsight potions (and perhaps shadow ore ingots) as a component in construction.

That way it would benifit both tinkers, miners, and alchemists. =)

U

uohamster

During the 'land rush' please hire some temp gm's or have extras or something to ban the afk squatters.

I remember people afk macroing yelling standing out front of plots saying...

"This plot on EBAY, auction # so and so."

Every one of those ********* was afk.

G

goebbels

Will the new house design tiles be complete? The current situation of house design is in my opinion awful. Each different set (castle marble logcabin) is incomplete often missing many peices or matching tiles in another facing corners etc. For my houses I always use sandstone because it's the most complete set, but I still have lots of trouble. For example you can't enclose a landing with a railing all the way around instead bc a corner is missing, as in my picture, you have to improvise the corners. Look at the archways too, for an arch that takes up 3 square units (left side-center-right side) the two sides should be equivalent in size/shape and you should be able to either walk through both sides and the center or only the center - whereas currently the right side is bigger than the left.

It goes on and on; the current system is plauged by this whole lopsided effect and the only solution is to use thick sandstone walls or make something assymetrical or awful. So much for grandness a.k.a. the Classical tradition.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the couple hours it took to design my house, and I like it a lot. It's just that the system has so much potential to permit more wonderful creations if it weren't for the couple pieces missing in every set. Nobody likes Malas bc it's full of mediocre houses bc they can't build something nice in the theme of their choice.

So I hope in this developmental stage of the new expansion you can take the extra time to make sure for every set there are 4 corners to each wall type, and extra ones for symmetrical styles. What I mean is that each housing square unit can be divided into 4 smaller squares and if you were to place a wall on that square it always goes on the right two squares which works fine for walls on the right side of your house but looks awful on the left. You can notice this in customized houses, the left and rear walls aren't sitting on the base exactly.

This defect doesn't occur in prefab houses.

Only the sandstone set has a railing that adheres to the left side too, no set has a thin normal wall that does. The wall under the railing in the first floor is a thick sandstone wall that takes up the entire square it's on, but at least looks uniform.

I have high hopes for the new expansion and look forward to trying out the new tiles along with everything else, I just hope these defects can be ironed out. Every tile should be capable of being rotated at 90 degree intervals or made available. That's what you did when you made the prefabs, give us a chance to make something nice like them. Oh and one more thing... Staircases! we need circular and square winding ones and steep ones too. My two houses are north of Umbra in the circular clearing if anyone wants to tour my creations...

Goebbels of Sonoma.

A

ahninjas

My only concern was that development on the new UO expansion would hurt development on UXO. And it did. Another fine business decision from the think tank at EA. It ranks up there with "repackage the Sims every 7 months" and "force players to give us credit card numbers before they can claim their 30 FREE days of UO".

A

Antion_Vallin

Will there be new animations added for previously existing 3D creatures? The dragon model is seen very often, but it just looks horrible. Most winged creatures have horrible flying animations and some animations, like the ancient wyrm, are too slow to keep up with their actualle swing rate.

The animations done with LBR and AOS look good, but most done with 3rd Dawn were done horrible and still haven't been changed.

(I would also like more information on the flying dragon mount and really hope it is tamer-only and possibly put into effect as an ethereal mount for older players.)

D

Dimax

Will my Ninja be restricted to Fel only ?
As a True Red Ninja he/she will be killing peeps !

K

KoboldPrincess

I like the idea of the new design tiles, since house designing is one of my favorite things to do in UO.

I have a request, as long as you're working on housing... how about giving us a few design tiles that were missing in the original set? It makes sense to do that while you're already expanding the design set for the new styles anyway. *g*

Like this:

There are MANY other tiles missing, or that don't fit together right. Railings and fences come to mind... Archways... Those low 'walls' that are meant to go around an open area (not sure what you would call them) like these:

corners are needed for these

Add some roofing for the current building materials types, not only roofing for the new oriental materials and building types, please.

Also, the marble bench (as in the large marble pre-fabricated housed with benches) would be a GREAT addition to courtyards and such, in my opinion.

I

Imaback

Water you can sail in... Nuff Said.

Its been 5 years since we got somewhere new to sail, and then it was just a mirror image. I wish the Dev's of the new expansions would take their time building the new land masses and make them worthwhile and awe inspiring rather than a jumple of monsters, land, and empty space you cant go through. Malas is a beast to navigate because to get from Luna to Umbra you have to run the opposite direction first, then snake your way through places... its just annoying, water to sail through so one island would be linked to another would make it that much easier, and would make the waters in Tram and Fel that much emptier. Lets break the trend of rushing out bug ridden expansions and take our time and do PUBLIC BETA TESTS once again. The last public beta test was for UO:3D, you dont even have to implement the new land mass with the beta so that remains a secret, but at least allow people to try out the new skills on a TC shard even if its just a limited test of 1000 people or so, this works a LOT better than internal testing and gets feedback before you get a rush on the boards here for changes or nerfs or whatever.

Aislinn