• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Questions for BOD collectors!

W

Wilki

I've been looking at the BOD system, thinking about how we might improve it, and I have a few simple questions for those who collect BODs on a regular basis.

1. Do you mainly do tailoring or blacksmithing BODs? (Why?)

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
- too easy to get?
- are the most useful?
- are the least useful?

3. How many BODs do you collect and turn in each day?

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Do you mainly do tailoring or blacksmithing BODs? (Why?) <font color="purple"> Tailoring.... my nails </font>

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get? <font color="purple"> not the rewards that are hard, it's that certain small bod to finish off the big one </font>
- too easy to get? <font color="purple">... hides </font>
- are the most useful? <font color="purple"> runic kits, of course, as soooooon as I figure them out </font>
- are the least useful? <font color="purple"> didn't I say this already? hides? yep, there it is, up there ^ </font>

<font color="purple"> sometimes one, sometimes a dozen..... I'm a lazy seamstress, and there's all those rebellious students in Bedlam that need a good stern talking to </font>

G

<blockquote><hr>

I've been looking at the BOD system, thinking about how we might improve it, and I have a few simple questions for those who collect BODs on a regular basis.

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
- too easy to get?
- are the most useful?
- are the least useful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tailoring. I find it much easier to get the resources needed to make tailoring items, so I do these instead as my resources of ignots are always quite low.

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
- too easy to get?
- are the most useful?
- are the least useful?

I cannot give a complete answer to this, for I have all but stopped doing BODs. I am wanting to start doing them again. If it helps out at all, I will be mainly doing them to recieve the Pure White Cloth, White Sandals, and Clothing Bless Deeds. I am also interested in doing them for Runics, but not as a priority, as I wouldn't use them until I am able to complete my Tailor's skills to 120.0.

I try and collect at least 1 per day when I am able to log in, however, I often forget about it. I have not collected a BOD in about 1 or 2 weeks.

I have not turned in any BODs for much longer, as I can never seem to get enough small bods to fill my larges -or- I can never seem to get the right large bods for the masses of smalls I have.

K

Kamelbarn

1. Both. They are both profitable.

2. High level blacksmith rewards are way too hard to get.

Nothing is actually too easy to get.

Bless deeds, 120 tailoring scolls, 120 blacksmith scrolls, runics higher than spined and bronze, high ASHs, powder and anvils is what I aim to get.

The rest isnt worth collecting. I toss the BODs that give those awards if the price to complete them is to high (for example, I do a 10 exep two handed axe SBOD, but not one with 20 exep shadow female plate).

3. Id say I get about 30-50 new BODs per day. All my characters have at least 0.1 tailoring and blacksmithing to get low level bods, I craft those to get higher ones.

The main problem with the BOD system, other than the high level blacksmith awards, is the fact that you get way to many tailoring SBODs compared to LBODs and the other way around for blacksmithing BODs. You'll end up with chests filled with SBODs without LBODs and LBODs without the SBODs to fill them.

I'd love some sort of sytem that made the low level rewards valuable as well. Some kind of point system maybe?

G

Garaba

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Mainly tailoring, there are less bods types total so the storage is easy. And it is less work to get the high end rewards. Clothing Bless Deeds and Barbed Kits.

<blockquote><hr>

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
- too easy to get?
- are the most useful?
- are the least useful?

[/ QUOTE ]

-Upper level hammers are way to hard to get. Verite and Valorite hammers are comparable to barbed, but the barbed is so much easier to get. One of the reasons why metal armor is inferior and hard to find.

-Some of the mid raged metal bods have to high of a chance to produce lesser level rewards. Not very fair considering the rarity difference between oh shadow and bronze.

-The most useful items tend to be Bless deeds (even if just for decorative items), and consumables like hammers and powder.

-Least useful are lower level versions of other items, if it is not the best of the best. It does not sell, and produces inferior loot. I can burn through a bronze hammer, and produce x amount of items of a decent value. Or I can kill 2x number of a particular monster and produce more superior items. And how much effort it takes to get a gold hammer verse killing oh 100 swoops. I kill 100 swoops.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I collect 3-4 bods a day of both tailoring and smithy. I only keep bods that produce powder, Clothing Bless deeds, barbed kits, apgite and better hammers, sandals and 30+ ash

Because of how often I get a useful BoD I turn in 1 every few days. Getting more tends to be a waste of resources.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Tailoring : Alot easier to get sets. (Blacksmithing gives to many trash bods)
<blockquote><hr>

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?

[/ QUOTE ]
Smithing hammers (agapite+)
<blockquote><hr>

- too easy to get?

[/ QUOTE ]
Tailor rewards below bear rugs on the chart.
<blockquote><hr>

- are the most useful?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bless deeds and Barbed Kits
<blockquote><hr>

- are the least useful?

[/ QUOTE ]
Smithy hammers below copper, hides, powerscrolls that are not +20 and spined runic kits.
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
That's random. I try to get 6 per day. More when i had a couple trash ones in to get new ones.

L

LeiDeDa

I do Tailoring BOD's

As far as to hard to get it's the Barbed Kits. Yeah I know there sitting all over
the place and it is BS =).

To easy to get are the stretched hides...They never break or get consumed and
we've had BODs how long?

As far as most useful it's CBDs and Barbed Kits. I also use up barbed kit smalls to
get white cloth...better chance of getting that then the barbed kit large.

Least useful..again the stretched hides.

I turn in at least 200 a week and sometimes its 500...do I get a barbed kit from
that many BODs?....mabe 1 time a month. YUP it gets me mad to see ppl with
10 for sale at once. I wish BODs were a pt system as far as the rewards go...the
random generator is way to streaky. Mabe give certain pts for each diff type
small you turn in. So ppl don't complain leave the old way also.

G

Greatfellow

Blacksmithing.

-Valortie Runic hammers are ridiculously hard to get. A hammer so rare you pay up to $200 cash for it from legitimate sites, if you can't get it in game? (PM me if you want a link to proof of that). And the number of uses they give is very low: 25 uses for a valorite runic hammer? Means you can make 25 items with it, and maybe get one or two outstanding results from those uses. I believe the hammer should have at least 50 uses. And the opportunity to get the hammer should be increased four-or-five-fold.

-So many of the lower rewards are just left on the ground by us, after awhile: mining gloves, shovels, pickaxes. A wider variety of low rewards would be nice. For example: Legendary repair scrolls that are good for 100 uses; commodity deeds for 500 valorite ingots; etc. These would be random awards, so you couldn't target for them; they'd be welcome surprises.

W

woody cats

both

for blacksmithing getting large iron exp is impossible
as i have 15 lengdary smiths and 20 legandary tailor
only black smithing rewrds worth keeping are for powder of fortification,+15 or better ancient hammers, bronze or better runic hammers.

for tailoring cloths bless deeds and kit are ones worth keeping with the streched being the worst as a waste of time

footwear is a problem getting smalls for my high lvl tailors

I average 15 -50 a day

M

Monolithic

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Tailoring. Because everyone wears leather armor since there's no incentive to wear plate anymore. Blacksmiths are useless with the exception of a couple BOD rewards (powder of fort, val runic) they can get.

<blockquote><hr>

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
- too easy to get?
- are the most useful?
- are the least useful?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the high-end rewards are about as hard to get as they should be. Make them any easier and you just dilute the economy. It's a fine balance between the tedium of collecting the right bods for a runic kit and the value of that reward, but i think the current system is close enough.

The lower end rewards - stretched hides, bear rugs, tapestries, etc are too easy to get. Perhaps at one point they weren't, but nobody wants them now, so most bods that only have the potential to reward you with one of the above either get thrown out or "recycled" for a new bod. Here's an idea - make an LBOD for LBOD's. i.e. you fill several lbod's that have a reward of stretched hides. Combine those lbod's into one uber-lbod which rewards you for something even greater, such as a horned runic kit. These uber-lbods couldn't require too many normal lbod's though, as the tedium required to fill this many bods would begin to outweigh the reward.

For tailoring, runic kits are the most useful. CBD's are very useful on siege. But again, they're only useful because a tailor can make a lot of money doing BOD's for them. Decrease the difficulty of getting runic kits and you only hurt the economy and the tailors. The finer the line between tedium and reward the more likely you are to have people simply script/automate the task then you are to have people play the game as intended. Like mining.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to go in spurts. A few dozen one day, none the next. It gets really boring (not to mention the carpal tunnel) doing them all the time. But thats part of UO's problem, everything is based on an exchange of players time for reward. The more time you spend doing something, the greater the reward. Ive got ideas on how to fix that, but its beyond the scope of this thread.

I

imported_Cyrah

1. collect tailor &amp; smith

2. Too hard to get- high runic hammers
Too easy- hides, DC hammers
Most useful- high end runic hammers, USED to be in most useful is barbed kits. They are too random now, results are way too random and often missing mods. Same with horned kits.
Least useful, hides, unless you rp a tanner. Spined kits!!!!!!!!!!!!! DC/Shadow/ Copper hammers since they no longer give a chance at a double slayer.

3. used to collect a lot, now maybe two, Turning in filled is torture for me, too many junk bods received for the amount turned in. IMO that is.

Let me sneak this in, Bone bods are too hard to get done for the rewards they give. Exceptional bone bods that is. Spined kits are absolutely, totally, 100 per cent useless for me.

Thanks for asking!

C

Cathy And Mike

* Tailoring - Best rewards per time invested. I do like to do smithing bods also just to spice things up.

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
Barbed kits are around 1 in 400, for the LBOD, which is almost perfect. The SBODs are easy to get making it a good combo. If it's any easier it would make them another useless reward. I think tailoring is about right on target with what it should be. (Tailoring)

Gold and higher runic hammers for smithing. The LBODs are easy to get but the SBODs are hard to come by for a item that has less appeal then barbed runic kits. (Blacksmithing)

- too easy to get?
Horned/Spined Kits. But i wouldn't change much.(Tailoring)

I would say +5 mining gloves are super easy. Mabye add a "super" rare chance to get a +7-8 mining gloves that are a unique black/name. (Blacksmith)

- are the most useful?
Barbed Kits, Clothing Bless Deeds. (Tailoring)

Gold-Valorite Runic Hammers, Powder of Fortification. (Blacksmithing)

- are the least useful?
Anything not runic or clothing bless is useless and not worth having (Tailoring)

Dull Copper-Bronze Hammers. They produce very low quality not really worth the time to even make the BODs. (Blacksmithing)

I have a ton of bod runners and have the numbers down pretty well.
Me, my wife and kids do bods 3 times a day getting over 400+ per day. We also spend some time making the cloth SBODs and turning them in for new ones. I like the system as is, it just needs some fresh rewards that are use full and aren't super easy to receive.

W

WhippleofB

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I REALLY like doing BODS and have been involved with them since the start.

Neither types are more or less easy for me to do. I only turn in NQ iron after I fill them from buying the item from the NPC. I turn in both NQ and EQ tailor ones. I buy the NQ items from the NPC and make the EQ ones from the cloth I get/and buy from the NPC.

I find that I turn in roughly equal amounts of tailor/smith bods.

<blockquote><hr>

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
- too easy to get?
- are the most useful?
- are the least useful?

[/ QUOTE ]

SMITH
To hard:

Verite and Valorite runic hammers. I've turned in 10's of thousands of smith bods and have yet to get a large to get these rewards.
+60 Hammers. I've only gotten two of these.
Colored anvils.

To easy:
No hammers are too easy to get.

Most useful:
Dull hammers for makeing slayers.
Aggy and above for makeing weps.

Least useful:
All hammers between shadow and gold (inclusive) because metal armor has no use in the game anymore and the weaps you can make with them can be bested by loot.

TAILOR

To hard: none
To easy: none

Most useful: Barbed kits. I used to turn in Horned kits, but over the last year or so, I don't anymore because of the glut of barbed armor out there makes makeing things from a horned kit pointless.
CBD's.

Least useful: Stretched hides and tapestrys.

<blockquote><hr>

How many BODs do you collect and turn in each day?

[/ QUOTE ]

I collect at least one of each type each day. Sometimes alot more depending if I'm turning in. I turn in around 500 of each every 2-3 weeks. Sorry so vague on this answer, but it really depends on how much I play.

General comments: I really like the change that was made to tailor/smith PS a couple of years ago. Powder of Fortification is still useful and sells well.

Hope that helps you with a perspective from a big time BOD collector.

The Whipster

Head Clucker
Chicken Fight Club
Great Lakes

Esmeralda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I collect both at my daily bod run, but I´m only actively doing tailor cloth bods for getting new ones. Smith bods need to much more or less expensive material, and getting something usefull is hard.

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?

Well usefull smith hammers (agapite and better) are insanely hard to get thanks to the gazillion combinations of sbods.

- too easy to get?
Well, spined runics and stretched hides!

- are the most useful?
Most usefull rewards are: clothing bless deeds, powder of fortifying, barbed runic kits, gold and better runic hammers, maybe even the prosperity tools.

- are the least useful?
Streched hide deeds, spined runics, gargoyles pickaxes, and all hammers fromo dull copper to bronze (at least for crafting armor they suck).

Well I do my daily bod runs with my two crafters, so I collect around 4 bods per day. IF I turn in clothing sbods, I do maybe around 50ish, but I didn´t do that since some months.

S

SupaWooHoo

1.mostly tailoring...because it is a fairly steady income stream for the amount of time im able to spend in game.

2.a.any smith hammer over bronze and the gift anvils just seem to hard to get to me, and the rewards for bone tailor BODs are incredibly outa whack.
b.i dont think any are to easy...I just dont need 20 streched hides.
c.barbed kits and fort powders are the most useful by a long shot...that I can get to.
d.ummm...yeah...a legendary tailor probably has very little use for a +5 tailor scroll.

3.I fill at least 10 a day but usually more like 25 to 30 on weekdays and 100 each day on wknds.

Just an aside, now that youve nerfed the loot for suffering thru the Heartache...err...wood quests, and the drop rate on runics and upper end recipes seems to be very near non-existent with our elven friends, Ive come to depend more and more on BODs to allow me to acquire some of the things I want to have...if not for all that....Id do 10 BODs a day and be done.

I

imported_Lyconis

Both, because I can get both

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
Higher end runic hammers (have only completed up to gold). Second I'd say barbed runic kits I've completed 2 since bods have come out and ended up paying other players alot of gold to complete them.
- too easy to get?
The easiest "Useful" item I'd have to say is powder of fort.
- are the most useful?
Runic kits(barbed)/hammers (I'd think verite, valorite never had one before) can't make anything useful without them (besides enhancing items). Barbed kits seem more useful than hammers as theres not really a need for metal armor as leather is just as good resist/mod and mages can use it. Powder of Fortification, Ancient Smith Hammers, and on the low end the sturdy shovels, Flower tapestries (good for wall cover), Clothing Bless Deeds,
- are the least useful?
Tailor tanned Hides, gargoyle pick axes (my mule can't fight the ore elementals)

Collect : Varies, I'll try to log in enough to get 2 - 4 a day. More like 2 (with two tailor/smiths).

Turn In : Also varies, if I do an idoc that has a collection of bods I'll usually turn more in. I think the most I've turned in, in one day would be close to 50 for both tailor and smith. That would maybe be 20 large bods, and 30 small.
I'd say on average I turn in 20 a month.

I don't complete "junk" bods for the timer reset. I also mainly focus on the large bods for the items I put in "useful" otherwise I consider the bods and junk and sell.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]I definately wouldn't say regular basis... but every couple months or so I'll do them for 2-8 days in a row.

Tailoring. I've never been fond of blacksmithy for some reason except for with my first blacksmith waaaaaay back in the day (pre-T2A). Once I stopped playing that blacksmith, I never got another past 65 skill.

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
All except the level 1-3 cloth. They are not necessarily too time consuming to get though (I don't do enough BODs to really say if the highest level stuff is too time consuming on average or not).

- too easy to get?
Level 1-3 cloth

- are the most useful?
Horned/Barbed Runic kits and bless deeds.

- are the least useful?
Sandles

When I'm doing BODs, I'll usually do 5-15 a day, typically more towards the low end.

D

DarkOgham

I mainly do Tailoring BODs because ingots are too hard to get to allow for consistent Smith BOD work.

2. Which rewards are:

- too hard to get?
Runics (Smith or Tailor), CBDs

- too easy to get?
I don't think any of the rewards are too easy to get.

- are the most useful?
High-End Runics, CBDs, Powder of Fortification

- are the least useful?
Low-End Runics! Stretched Hides, Mining Gloves

It varies a LOT depending on my frustration level and what else is going on in-game. I would guess I average about 20.

H

hollylight

I like both i pull about 10-25 of each a week trying to roll the dice for a good bod for a higer end item i dont collect any lower end bods.

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get? Barbed kits , any hammers gold and higher

- too easy to get? all the smaller items that are not very useful due to changes to the game spined kits low end hammers ( i always tought replacing low end hammers with verite/val power with like 1 charge or 5 charges or something)

- are the most useful? Barbed kits val/verite hammers fort powder
- are the least useful? all low end hammers ( sturdy pick axes/shovels)

1 per shard 2-3 shards

L

litefin

1. Do you mainly do tailoring or blacksmithing BODs? (Why?) Both to try and get high end rewards.

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get? High end hammers, Anvils and runics kits
- too easy to get? None
- are the most useful? All are useful
- are the least useful? " " "

3. How many BODs do you collect and turn in each day? 10/15 of each

Please please please !!!!!!!!!!!!! can we please have an option to price bods in books all in one go trying to price 500 bods in a book IS SO time consuming PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

Jhym

1. I do smithing, since my smith likes smithing.
I do tailoring occasionally, but I have never worked tailoring up to even GM as I am very bored with the skill and have never needed any of the items. I may work on it at some point.

2. any hammer gold and above is just too tough for ONE smith to get. However, that is primarily because I have nobody to trade with in game -- most bod runners pop in and out and dump their catches in their bod books stored in their unavailable bod vendors (so when we gonna fix that little thing, hm?) I'd have to say the lower end hammers do not justify the investment in ingots usually -- and for those that don't know what bods return what items you can waste a lot of materials and money only to get a gargoyle pickaxe for instance. Very disappointing when I do that by accident. The fame returns were dropped drastically too; once my smith lost her lady status she has never been able to get it back just by doing bods. The mining implements are useful... however there really should be a bit of diversity in them and potentially a few higher end mining items (when ringmail mining gloves are sold/thrown on the ground they are not that useful, hm?)
As for tailoring... well, you pretty much get cloth. Lots and lots of cloth. Lots and lots. Of cloth. Cloth. Yes.

3. I usually pick up one to 3 a day on the "timer"-- if I get junk bods I will sometimes keep filling until I get something useful or I get tired of buying/making things. I have sometimes spent an hour or two buying/filling only to really get nothing special for the effort, so I generally don't work that hard at it. Last month I went through all my stored colored/exc bods and dropped over 250 at Haven smithy just because I would NEVER do them because they return nothing useful to me. A little sad.

Everytime you throw away a bod a kitten dies, right?

M

MYUO

Wilki, it is very nice to hear you are looking at BODs.
I have been doing bods since it starts and still getting bods even when I am taking a break from UO.

IMO the current problem with BODs is most of the lower end rewards are not desirable by many players. The really high end rewards (val hammer, barbed kits) are useful but hard to get. In a bigger picture, there are issues like metal armors can not med unless its mage armor but they offer no advantage over leather ones which doesn't require to be mage armor to med. Metal armors are also heavier (reduce player's carry capacity), have high strengther requirement (can drop after being cursed) and require higher skill to make comparing to leather ones.

Now, there are two approaches to just fix BOD:

1) make high end reward easier to get - you have seen many replies saying val/vel hammers are too hard to get. Are they too hard to get or are the at least equally powerful barbed kits too easy to get? Nice rewards are supposed to be hard to get. If you make everything easy, players will loose interest soon. Example: paragon and ML minor arties. Before the dupe, val hammer is the one of the hardest and most desirable item to get. I hope you don't change this.

2) make high end reward still hard to get but make low end ones more useful or introduce more consumable rewards like powder of fortification. Additional ideas for consumables include "multiple charged repair hammer/tong", "prospect tool/gargoyl pickaxe for rare gems", "an enhancement tool that greatly increase the chance for successful enhancement", etc. This approach will make a lot of no-so hard core BODers happy without destroy the rarity of the high end rewards. If you have to make high end reward easier to get, do something like giving a higher level reward with reduced charges.

There are other ideas for BOD enhancement: let player choose the mods on the item crafted; point system for BOD rewards (this doesn't necessary mean high end reward will be easier to get); let runic hammers make "balanced" weapons, etc. While you are on it, please double check if the plain leather (not studded/boned) armor made by runic tailor kit will lose a property if "Mage Armor" is mistakenly rolled. Long time ago, mage armor is a property on plain leather runic armor. It was removed by players found crafted items can lose a property if mage armor is "secretly" selected and then dropped.

I am getting 10-30 bods each on smith and tailor a day. Used to be an active bod trader and do nothing but bod. Now I am mostly collecting them hoping one day they can be any use. I use barbed kits mostly for my own use. I dont burn high end runics because the stuff they make can't compete with the widely avialable arties.

I

Izzno

At one of the town hall meetings you all were looking into a type of point system. You do so many bods and you get to choose something. The more points you save up the better the item. Also included in the items that was a possiblitly were the tokuno dyes. Unfortunatly the scripters will be the ones to mostly benefit from a system like this. (again)

A

ariesgeek

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Words cannot describe how happy I am to hear you've been "looking at the BOD system."

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Smithing. I don't even have a tailor. I know I'll have to create one at some point, but I've been putting it off. I like the money off powder of fort anyway.

<blockquote><hr>

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
- too easy to get?
- are the most useful?
- are the least useful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too hard to get: None. I like the fact that verite and valorite hammers are extremely rare. (except for the duped ones, but I think those are gone or almost gone, at least on LS). Too many good items in this game are too easy to get.

Too easy to get: None. I think powder of fort, for example, should be about as common as it is. On LS, they are now selling for 70 - 100 a pop if you get outside of Luna. That's about right.

Most useful: Obviously, the high-end hammers. Of course, POF is extremely useful.

Least useful: copper hammers. DC &amp; SI can be used to try to make super slayers. Bronze and above are good. Copper hammers are useless.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the day. Sometimes just collect 1 a day and don't turn any in. Sometimes I'll turn in 200 of them. It depends on how much mining I've been doing.

G

1. Smithing

2. Of the Smithing Rewards, I think that the rewards are decently distributed throughout the system where a player doesn't get loaded down with non-useful rewards. Granted the ORIGINAL version DID have this problem with mining gloves, now it seems that the SMthing system in this regard is fine.

The PROBLEM with the Smithing System is that the distribution of BODs themselves on the upper end are too scarce. It's not that the rewards are hard to get as much as it is the BODs THEMSELVES to get the rewards.

3. When I am actively doing BODs, I get at least 10 per day until I have a couple hundred, then I fill all the colored combinable BODs and store them, then I go to non-combinable and "junk" iron (weapons) BODs, which I fill in bulk (BBODing?) to turn in 100+ at a time for a new batch, I then continue working this batch down until I have cycled them all into combinable deeds. This process can take quite a while game-wise depending on how many I have in the "pool" and how the distribution when I get new ones happens. However, since I go through phases of BOD crafting, it's not a solid number per day/week/etc. I'm more of a "batch" BOD player.

I'll speak in terms of SMithing BODs, but I have a few (read plenty) thoughts, ideas, etc.

1. Runic Hammers: Compared to Tailoring Runics, Carpentry Runics, and Fletching Runics, there are too many types of Smithing Runics (8 runics for Smithing vs 3 of the other types). This makes it MUCH MUCH easier and more likely to pull the deeds for the top end tailoring runics and even easier just to get lucky on a random drop of the other two types compared to Smithing. I would suggest dropping the number of Smithing Runics down to 3 using the same standards as the other runic types and redistributing them accordingly.

2. Powder of Fortification: This is obviously one of the best Smithing BOD rewards. It's mid level, reasonably obtainable, and it's limited use. However, it's also very imbalanced as an item because armor and weapons can be powdered an infinite number of times, which prevents item decay in the game. Powders should work like the Powders used for Bags of Transfer. After a certain uses on an item, the item becomes "oversaturated" and can no longer be powdered. This would keep PoF useful and desirable, but would return at least a small portion of item "turnover" in place.

3. Temporary Powders: These could fill in intermediate spaces left open by the removed runics in #1. Basically, they would add a certain mod to a weapon or armor piece for a limited timeframe (maybe a couple hours or so) and then the effect would fade. The type of enchantment and power level would of course be determined by the level of BOD completed.

4. "Points System": I'm sure other people will have mentioned this by now, so I will throw this in as an agreement that the ability to use a points system to work towards a reward would work better than hoping for the BOD lottery to score the 7 times necessary.

5. Make "X" Items: This is more of an interface issue, but one that pertains directly to BODs. Adding in a button that allows a player to make a certain number of the same item will be a GODSEND.

P

Pirate

<font color="red">Depending on what i have available i would do tailoring as a preference. Tailoring yields the best rewards such as CBDs and BRSKs</font>

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get? <font color="red">
high-end runics and ASHs</font>

- too easy to get?
- are the most useful?
<font color="red"> BRSKs, high end runic hammers, fort powder, CBDs </font>

- are the least useful? <font color="red">
Low end runics such as spined kits, dull, shadow and copper hammer. and sturdy shoves/pickaxes</font>

<font color="red"> I tend to do mass amounts every few days varying from 100-1000 when im too hungover to pvp </font>

Incidently, i have a slight problem with the returned bods i get. i can turn in over 500 and get nothing but garbage. and since the RNG was changed i havnt had a single Bod for a BRSK or any valorite bods

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

We do both equally.

<blockquote><hr>

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Higher end Runics

<blockquote><hr>

- too easy to get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hides and Polar Bear Rugs

<blockquote><hr>

- are the most useful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clothing Bless Deeds, Powder of Fortification, High end tailor runics.

<blockquote><hr>

- are the least useful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hides, rugs, blacksmith runics and in some way the tailor cloth because there are so many kinds it fills up yet more space, wish there was a cloth box or something.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife collects around 10-30 Bods each day, depending on time. Far from all are usable. I don't turn in anything much anymore, we've totally drowned in BODs and its nearly impossible to sort it all out with all the other things needing to be done in both UO and RL.

C

cosmology

Hiya Wilki:

A Fine Fine question, sir...

1: Both

2: a - i Runic Kits or Hammers (runic or ancient)
ii I've yet to receive an Lbod for 120 Smith or Tailor scrolls
iii I've only ever received the proper bods for 2 powders of fortification
iv Nothing in terms of colored anvils - which I'd like to get
v High end reward cloth or sandals
vi Tapestries and rugs
b - i Pick axes and shovels and hides and mining gloves
ii Low end runics - both smith and tailor
iii Low end scrolls
c - i Runics of any kind (ancient hammers too) or High End scrolls
ii Deco items, such as anvils or tapestries and rugs
iii Powder
d - i hides of any kind
ii gargoyle pick axes/prospector/shovels/spined runics/first three runic hammers
iii low grade runic cloth... too many hues to be worthwhile

3. 5 to 10 per day... just hoping one day soon...

I've developed my crafters and done the drill for almost 4 years now... very little in terms of rewards. As mentioned, I've yet to receive a 120 scroll on either side of the aisle, or a barbed kit or a gold or better runic hammer or even an ancient hammer. I'm of the opinion that a point system would reward the active player not only quicker but in a more equitable fashion.

But mostly, I'm just tickled the question even came up... While y'all are looking at the bod system, please take a look at runic kits... barbed kits are sooo not working properly, and haven't been almost since their inception.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Both. I enjoy doing them while socializing at the bank with friends and sometimes I get a really good one. And fame.

<blockquote><hr>

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?

[/ QUOTE ] High smithy rewards
<blockquote><hr>

- too easy to get?

[/ QUOTE ]low smithy/tailor
<blockquote><hr>

- are the most useful?

[/ QUOTE ]high runics (duh) and things like powder of fort. I also have use of the Sturdy shovels and whatnot but they are under the too easy to get level.
<blockquote><hr>

- are the least useful?

[/ QUOTE ] prospector tool? Eh? Streached hide?

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]It depends on if it's a day I am doing bods. Since the change in the way bods turn in I can do several dozen in a day or none all week. Depends on if the mood hits me... and if maybe my lil girl needs some fame.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Do you mainly do tailoring or blacksmithing BODs? (Why?). <font color="blue"> I do an equal amount of both. All my BOD runners are at least GM Tailor and GM Smith. I do both because both are just as profitable and fun</font>

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get? <font color="blue"> Valorite Hammer. Far and away too difficult to get. when you get it, it only has 15 uses making them nearly useless. I don't agree with folks who say all hammers are too hard to get or hammers above Bronze are too hard. It takes as much effort to get an Agapite Hammer as it does a Barbed Runic Sewing kit. An Agapite Hammer, even though it's not top-of-the-line, can make some incredible weapons. If they were any more common (along with Verite Hammers) there would end up being a huge imbalance of top-end weapons.</font>

- too easy to get? <font color="blue"> Powder's of Fortifying and Clothing Bless Deeds. As valuable as these two rewards are, they are too easy to get. </font>

- are the most useful? <font color="blue"> The only useful rewards are 120 Scrolls, CBD's, Barbed Kits, ASH +15 and higher, Bronze and Higher Runic Hammers, Powders of Fortifying. Maybe Prospector's tool for miners. The colored anvil don't do anything, but they seem to sell pretty well.</font>

- are the least useful? <font color="blue"> All the rest is junk. I just throw the BODs away.</font>

3. How many BODs do you collect and turn in each day? <font color="blue"> 22 BOD Runners doing 3 runs equals 132 BODs (Smith and Tailor) per day. I turn in another (roughly) 400 a week so overall I collect over 1,300 BODs a week.</font>

There are a few horrible bugs and defects we've been dealing with for a few years now. Theo_GL is probably the best source for BOD and Crafting bugs, but I'll list a few of the top issues:

1) Barbed Kits sometimes create items with only 3 properties. Our theory is that if "Mage Armor" is one of the properties added to Leather Armor, the property doesn't display because Leather Armor is already "Mage Armor" by default.

2) Too many Large Smith BODs are rewarded compared to the number of smalls, so folks end up with books full of Smith LBODs they can't fill because they can't find the smalls. This could be fixed by allowing players to substitute the appropriate LBOD for any one of the small BODs required to fill another LBOD. If a player has 7 20x Agapite Plate LBODs, he could completely fill the LBOD.

3) Not enough Large Tailor BODs are rewarded compared to the number of smalls, so folks end up with books full of the smalls because there are no LBODs to add them to. This could be resolved by allowing a player to convert a full set of all the small BODS into a Large BOD. They still need another set of the small to fill the LBOD, but at least they'd have it.

4) Valorite BODs seems to be about 10 times more rare than they should be. Agapite BODs are about 1 out of 50, Verite BODs show up about 1 out of 100, but Valorite BODs show up about 1 out of 5,000.

Rather than our current rewards system, I'd prefer a point system similar to the Library/Zoo/Museum Collections.

The points could be based on the material, quality, quantity, type, and size. something like this:

Metal:
Iron = 1
DC = 2
Shadow = 4
Copper = 8
Bronze = 16
Gold = 32
Agapite = 64
Verite = 128
Valorite = 256

Tailor Material:
Cloth = 1
Leather = 2
Spined = 4
Horned = 8
Barbed = 16

Quality:
Normal = 1
Exceptional = 2

Quantity:
10 = 1
15 = 2
20 = 4

Type:
Weapon/clothing = 1
Shield/footwear = 2
Ringmail/Leather armor = 4
Chainmail/Studded Armor = 6 (yeah..since Studded and Bone armor is harder to make, they should be worth more)
Plate (including Female Plate)/Bone Armor = 10

Size:
Small = 1
Large = 10

So if you turned in a Iron Normal 20 count Viking Sword sBOD, you'd earn 1 * 1 * 4 * 1 = 4 points
If you turned in a Verite Exceptional 15 Count Heater Shield sBOD, you'd earn 128 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 1 = 1,024 points
If you turned in a Valorite Exceptional 20 Count Plate LBOD, you'd earn 256 * 2 * 4 * 10 * 10 = 204,800 points

All the rewards would have point levels.
A Valorite Runic Smith Hammer might cost 1,000,000 points and the others would cost accordingly less.

This type of system would allow players to either gun for the big stuff or settle for a bunch of medium level stuff. Newer smiths could be happy with the Sturdy Shovels and stuff at the lowest levels or save up for a decent Copper Runic Hammer to try and make a Super Slayer.

With a point system, you'd see alot fewer BODs thrown away because they would all add up to getting something worthwhile.

I

imported_Wiseguy

1. I do tailoring ones as the reward is more worthwhile. I still do collect smithy ones but only keep select few.

2. good smith hammers are hard to get
scrolls are too easy to get
PoF, CBD, Barbed Runic are the really only useful ones from it

3. collect 6, don't turn any in daily, but sometimes turn in around 100

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yay! BOD questions!

Blacsmithing. For some reason I have never had that much luck with tailoring BODs. Plus I like the Smithy rewards much better.

2a. Which rewards are: - too hard to get
Valorite/Vertie runics of course!

2b. Which rewards are: - too easy to get?
None

not 2b. Which rewards are: - are the most useful?
POF-its really all I sell

2c. Which rewards are: - are the least useful?

Prospector's tools, +1 and +3 Mining gloves, and garg pics.

Not that these are not useful though. More like I get them faster than I can use them. I'd LOVE to see a 10 for 1 trade in from shovels to gloves etc etc all the way up to val runics.

Or perhaps even a way to recycle them into more useful items. Like cutting up +1 and +3 gloves and using the leather to craft other +1 and +3 leather pieces. Or smelting prospector's tools to make tinkering tools that let us syphon mods from other pirces of armor.

Well I like the ability to instantly be eligble for another deed whenever you turn in a completed BOD. So I usually turn in my waste BOD book whenever it gets around 300ish or so. I keep .01 smithing on a few chars and collect bods daily(maybe 5 or 10) untill i hit 300. Then I turn them in at once and usually keep @60% of the deeds I get in return. I refuse any deeds that require large amount of iron to complete(mace, polearm, iron plate armor BODs). My smith is legendary. It would be nice to tilt the weapon vs. armor/colored vs. non-colored bod drop rate scale just a tad bit more in favor of highly skilled smiths.

Add +20 mining scrolls to the mix Here is a link to some other Ideas I had for some overall crafting changes.

4. What do you think of the Elvaan Crafting Quests?

Get rid of them! Make them into BOD systems as they should be. Give each skill thier own BOD system. For example Carpentry; Low to medium rewards would be most recipees, Oak runics, the equivalent of prospecting tools, +5 and +10 powerscrolls. Medium to high level rewards would then include Yew/Heartwood runics, +15 and +20 scrolls, a few recipees, and +5% item property elixors. Elixors would be availbale in all curent +mod flavors ie. HCI, DCI, resists and so on. Since Elvaan folks are magically inclined...it makes sense.

1) Elixors would be like trying to enhace an item and would stack with mods currently given or add the mod as a new one.

2) An item can hold no more than 5 mods total. So an elixor for a new mod can not be added if the current item already has 5 mods

3) Adding elixors would reqiure high crafting skill. The higher intensity the mod, the better the chance for failure. Failure to apply an elixor would result in loss of the elixor only. So..eventually you would get the end item you want if you kept at it.

4) While it would be moderately difficult to apply an elixor to a mod that would cap its intensity, It would be extremely difficult to attempt to max out additional intensities...almost impossible to max out the 5th.

5) Drinking the elixor would give you the benifit of that mod for 8 hrs of gameplay.

G

Both. Sometimes I just need nice "solitaire-like" activities. They have just enough sense of progress to keep me going (the heartwood quests are better quality rewards but other than recipees, the rewards don't give the same tangible sense of progress LBODs give).

2. Which rewards are:
hmm ... I don't want to say runic hammers are too hard to get, but rather that the cutoff between "useful" and "useless" feels very sharp.

I think many of the decorations (like stretched hides) are too easy to get given that they are a "dead end" item (can't be recycled/donated) item. Consider the contrast: I have a single coloured anvil and it feels precious to me yet I don't even keep the BODs destined to return stretched hides.

Most useful? I'll say high-end runics because the three barbed runics I've earned have each produced an item that massively changed a character.

Least useful? hmmm ... I going to say coloured sandles. I wear them on several characters but only because they are uncommon. Sooner or later, there's going to be an attack of fashion-consciousness and I'll put them away.

I probably average 3-4 of each type per day. I have one character who does a run a day if I have time (mining is what limits me - especially when there are interesting things afoot I find I just don't have the time to generate the raw resources I'd need to do more)

D

DeathByMe

1) Tailoring. Blacksmithing has FAR too many variables (Exp/Norm, All the diff ingot colors, all the diff types (chain/ring/plate), and then the tons and tons of diff items (sword/fencing/shield/gorg). It's just not feasible to get any of the good ones when you don't trade, and spend hours and hours, xshard, etc to get one done.

2) Too hard - any decent blacksmithy

Too easy - all the tailor bods

Most useful - Gold+ hammers

- Barbed Kits

I collect 4 a day, two tailor, two smith.

In my honest opinion, I think the biggest thing the bod system needs is to make [censored] USEFUL. It's sad when the only good thing you get from tailoring is a BRSK. CBDs as well I suppose, but everything else is worthless.

In smithy, all I ever get are junk bods for like shadow hammers. Who uses that?

G

After reading all these responses from people that seem to be "pros" at BOD collecting, I don't know that my opinion counts for much :p I'm just a newish player, and a very casual BOD collector, BOD "runner" is not really a term I'd use for myself :p I do them all, large and small, just for the fun of it, not so much caring about whether it's level 1 cloth rewards or not

1. Do you mainly do tailoring or blacksmithing BODs? (Why?) I do both, cos I like both

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get? so far for me, CBD horned+ runics, and bronze + runics
- too easy to get? level 1 cloth, spined runics (do they even work properly? Dont seem to to me?), stretched hides, shovels, picks etc
- are the most useful? horned +, CBD seem to be, PoF, bronze+ runics
- are the least useful? stretched hides

3. How many BODs do you collect and turn in each day? I try and get at least 2 per day of each

Z

Zanth

First off I agree .. I am glad you guys are looking into BODs &amp; possibly making changes ...

I do several BODs a day listnening to talk radio .. I fill mostly Smith BODs &amp; a few tailoring BODs .. In my opinion i believe the rewards need looked at .. The rewards are sorta outdated for starters .. No one has any use for runics below Bronze &amp; No one has much use for PS's below +20's .. New rewards need to be added &amp; then ROTATED in &amp; out to keep the intrest level of the players.

I was always a huge fan of the system we had before when you turned in a BOD you had a 1 in 3 chance at any given reward. I dont like set rewards for certain BODs .. In time it makes alot of BODs useless &amp; worthless.

Not a real big fan of the point system because that will allow scripters to push play &amp; run scripts &amp; fill 10 times as many as normal players &amp; then totally flood the market making the rewards worthless like they did with the Vesper rewards.

I'd love to see Smithy BODs come back into demand &amp; i'd love to see players activiley out &amp; about trading &amp; scouting for BODs they might need on vendors .. It will help Miners out also because the demand for Ingots will raise to the levles it once was.

An idea i've always had is this ...... For Tailoring BODs it would be neat if you had BODs that you could only fill useing the Colored Cloth that you get from turning in cloth BODs ... Man the demand for Colored Cloth would shoot through the roof ! ... I'd also like to see New BOD systems added to other skills like carp &amp; cooking &amp; alchemy ... BODs could be a HUGE part of UO if you guys would decide to expand on it in a major way !

I

imported_Ylias Tendris

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I do both, but due its harder to get the ingots and sbods for smithing its mainly tailor bods.

<blockquote><hr>

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
- too easy to get?
- are the most useful?
- are the least useful?

[/ QUOTE ]
too hard: smithy rewards up from gold runic hammers
too easy: none
most useful: obviously the ones which can get used up, like CBD, PoF, ASH, Barbed Runic Kits and higher Runic Hammers.
least useful: although they are nice items i'd say all lower deco items (hides,tapestries,rugs)are useless because there isnt any market for them anymore. Also after you reached 120 in smithing/tailoring there is no need to get any more PS, and they cant be sold either (except 120 Smithing perhaps)

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes none or one and rarely more.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

- are the least useful?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hides, rugs, blacksmith runics and in some way the tailor cloth because there are so many kinds it fills up yet more space, wish there was a cloth box or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know the menu in sewing kit "Cut up cloth"? This gets you one style of cloth for all clothes with identical color. Therefore you need only to stack around 25 different colors, if you want to keep those.

I

imported_dukarlo

Shouldnt a system of crafters having the abiltity to make craftable items that other players use and need replenished be in place as opposed to the bod system which is simply repetetive,luck of the draw, and requires no interaction with other players? Bods can be changed from here to eternity but its never going to make crafting player interactive. Bod books on vendors make sure no player has to seek out another for a particular bod and item insurance makes certain that a pvper will never have to seek out a crafter once that pvper has the suit he/she wants. Even to obtain powder of fortification which is one of the few craftable items an adventurer needs from a smith requires no player interaction to obtain. Item insurance killed crafting and many other skill classes, not just pvp. How can you fix bods when they never worked in the first place?

G

This may be a tad off what your asking us but it would be helpful if the bod books had more sorting options (studded,bone,) to make it easier to find what is needed to fill the larger bods. Thanks

R

RhiannonAYN

* both - tailoring has better rewards and smithing gives more gold per reward.

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?

* barbed kits and anything above a bronze runic. I've been doing bods since they came out and have never had a barbed kit or anything above a bronze runic.(having said that, I don't go out of my way to find the bods to get these rewards anymore.

- too easy to get?

* those blasted stretched hides, +5 scrolls, pickaxes, prospectors tools

- are the most useful?

*clothing bless deeds and powder of fortification

*not sure that these should be categorized under useful, but cool to have are the tapestry deeds, bear rugs and anvils (I've found anvils harder to get)

- are the least useful?

*spined runics, dull copper runics (I just use them as regular tools now), gargoyle pickaxes (never use them) and prospector tools(I can't mine enough to use all mine up)

*2 smithing and 2 tailoring most days. I keep one of each bod to fill the large ones. I make up the others or toss them out at the bank. For a while I had runners to get more. I just couldn't be bothered sorting and collecting them in those numbers. For the amount of time I have to play, it just isn't worth my time - even though I primarily play a crafter and merchant.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I collect both, maybe someday I'll find a use for my 600 bone bods!

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get? Barbed Runic Kit..
- too easy to get? Stretched Hides..
- are the most useful? Clothing Bless Deeds!
- are the least useful? Polar Bear Rugs.. hehe

I try to fill at least 50 a day, although I do wait until I have a book full, otherwise it just depressing because you don't get anything good.

S

syphoner

I Do ALOT A L O T of bods.... all the responses are mostly related to the rewards for the bod system. I DO admit that changes have to be made to the rewards, but while we are on the topic of BODS, Why not make them user friendly and add a fill bod option button that will automatically fill the bods with the amount of items requested. I honestly have to take breaks from filling these do to carpel tunnel syndrom. Have a gump option that asks to fill bod manually (one at a time (the current way) or automatically fill (NOT CREATE, items still have to be crafted ) the entire bod at once. This way it will be the crafters own stupidity if the "enhanced barbed UBER gorget" accidentally becomes added to the bod and lost forever.
Some people here will screem out" NOWAY.....THIS WILL ONLY HELP OUT SCRIPTERS!!!!" ,but the scripters are not the ones suffering from the meaningless task of filling these bods! (Scripters are here to stay untill this game dies).While I am at it, add this suggested system to the new quests! (the collections REALLY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!(target quest item....BLLLAAAAAAAAAAA
) )

C

Casey

I do Tailoring BODs mainly because a) smithy runic hammers are WAY too hard to get and b) tailored leather armor has a huge advantage over smithed armor in that it's meddable.

Here is where I think the main problem with b is:
Leather armor base resists 2-4-3-3-3 (Total 15) meddable
Plate armor base resists 5-3-2-3-2 (Total 15) NON-meddable

Now how is that right? The exact same resists, but one is meddable and one isn't. So why would anyone in their right mind choose plate armor? Everyone needs mana now, even a pure warrior uses weapon specials.

The best solution I see to that problem is to increase the base resists on smith armor. Example:

Plate armor base resists 8-6-5-6-5 (Total 30) Non-meddable
Leather armor base resists 2-4-3-3-3 (Total 15) meddable

Now there is an actual reason to want to wear plate armor.

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
Definitely smith runic hammers.

I also think there is a problem with the barbed runic sewing kits, in that the stuff that you get is almost always so crappy. They really need some way to be able to select what properties you want to make with them. It's not right to spend a week getting one of those and then you make stuff like "12% reflect physical, self repair 2, stamina regen 2, Luck 87" .. you get the idea. Total junk that you didn't want.

- too easy to get?
Prospector's tools, mining gloves, sandals.

- are the most useful?
Barbed runic sewing kit and powder of fortifying.

- are the least useful?
Prospector's tools &amp; those high use shovels. Ugh.

Two, I get a tailor bod in the morning when I wake up and another before I go to bed. I don't reasonably expect to get anything this way because the chances are way too slim. What I will do is wait until I've got a bunch of cloth bods (at least 100 or so), fill them, and then sit for an hour or two turning them in. I can usually, but not always, get a runic sewing kit that way.

I always pick up tailor bods that people drop, buy cheap cloth bods off people's vendors, and on the weekends I will sometimes collect more than 2 in a day. So I usually end up doing a sewing kit binge like that once every month or two.

When I get a barbed sewing kit I SELL it. I don't use them myself. Last kit I got 6 million for. When bods first came out I burned a kit or two. Then I saw what kind of hideous junk I was getting. A month's worth of work for most likely 15 pieces of junk? No thank you.

I also will occasionally grab a smith bod if I remember to do it, hoping to get a Powder of Fortifying. Anything that's not either a Powder bod or a REALLY high end bod, like valorite (ie something I could sell), I would just decline. Not worth the hassle.

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

1. Do you mainly do tailoring or blacksmithing BODs? (Why?) Both tailor and smith. Some of the rewards are useful and in demand.

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get?
- too easy to get? mining tools (i have 6 vendors that almost give them away) stretched hides and tailor scrolls less than 120 (can't even give away)
- are the most useful? Powder of fort, barbed and horned kits, high end hammers, and prospector tools
- are the least useful? stretched hides and low end scrolls

3. How many BODs do you collect and turn in each day? 12 of each - I have 4 siege accounts that collect bod and tend to other crafting duties.

The cash rewards are a joke most of the time. I feel like crying when I fill Iron BOD at 10+ per ingot and get 2-3 gold per ingot in return with the hope of getting something useful only to get more iron bod.

The distribution of bod is skewed:
one gets far more tailor smalls then tailor larges
more cloth larges then the needed footwear
I don't think color footwear larges spawn any more
smith is still broken so a GM smith or above can't get iron armor larges
The ratio of color smith armor bod is such that I almost think one gets as many larges as smalls making large smith bod hard to fill.
With Iron the reverse is true and one gets far more Iron bod than they could ever use.
Because of the penalty to the exceptional bonus, Spined kits are a joke.

I heard a rumor of a point system - sure seems more attractive to collect points for smith bods then to litter the ground with mining tools. Prospector tools are great - I love them but sure don't need hundreds of them when it takes me an hour of mining to use one up.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. I mainly do Tailoring BODs, but actually do more Smith BOD runs (6 smith runners, 4 tailor runners). This is a bit misleading, because I keep 90% of the tailor BODS, and throw away 90% of the smith BODs.

This is because it is easy to get the stuff to fill the cloth BODs. In fact, one can be self-sustainable filling EX Cloth smalls (and the surcoat, bonnet, sash and full apron normals) using cloth from turning in smalls, and using the gold from those BODs to purchase the rest of the normal items to fill the normal BODs.

Smith BODs, on the other hand...
50/50 iron/colored * 50/50 weapon/armor * 11/13 non-combinable/combinable means that well over EIGHTY PERCENT of the BODs are junk (less than 15% are combinable colored BODs, or even irons that have a chance at giving powder or a colored anvil), before factoring in just how many of the colored larges give crap rewards too. And, unlike tailoring, your rewards don't supply raw material AND must be done in a place with forge and anvil - or at least fire beetle and Anvil (I tested this at the anvil without forge outside Britain). Tailoring, you can work anywhere - even filling leather BODs AS YOU HUNT, insuring that you never lose materal from deaths while resource gathering, since BODs are blessed.

Only 33 (36 if you count 120 PS, that you typically will only need one of with your smith) of the Armor Larges Iron through Bronze give moderately decent rewards (and that's if you consider a bronze runic, 20% chance of POF or a 10% CHANCE of a colored anvil "good") - that's out of NINETY larges. And those are a small fraction of the possibles. (add in weapons, you get 5 20% powder &amp; 1 90% Powder BODs, out of 30 more Larges)

I'll go into this more after answering #3.

A. too hard to get
i. any Hammer Gold and above,
ii.+30 ASH, +60 ASH.
iii. It would also be nice To have better alternates for the 90% that isn't a colored anvil (which should be hard to get) than a crappy PS and an even crappier hammer. Say, moving it to be a choice between a 120 PS or an Anvil, with the weighting varying whether or not you are scrolled to 120 already (say 80/20 in favor of PS if not scrolled, 80/20 in favor of Anvil or other deco item to be added later if the game detects you are already scrolled to 120).

B.Too Easy to get:
i. Prospector Tools (having a 4/1 ratio of Garg pick to prospector tools would be better as that's about how many garg picks a PT is good for)
ii. POF (IMO, you should drop the +10 ASH to the POF position, the +15 to the current +10 level, then put the POF into the reward position currently occupied by the +15 ASH - if not the +30!
iii. power scrolls under 120 for BOTH skills.
iv. BARBED KITS. (see after #3. for elaboration)
v. CBDs.

C. The most Useful - Answer: Barbed kits, POF and all the smith rewards most of us only get to use on TC.

D. The least useful
i. Streched hides
ii. PS under 120 (especially Tailor - one can get a 120 PS from two LEATHER LBODs!!!)
iii. Spined kits (at least one can try to make slayers with DC hammers!)

a. Typically, I try to collect 12-18 Smith and 8-12 tailor BODs on days I don't work, 6 smith &amp; 4 tailor on the days I do.
b. After 3-5 weeks, when I have accumulated 100 cloth BODs to fill in order to get new ones, and about 30 tailoring BODs I know I want to keep and 30 colored smith combinable BODs to check to see if I need (80% of which I turn out not needing), and about half as manay that have a POF chance, I make an accounting.
c I fill all the cloth BODs, turn in one at a time to get new ones, sort those BODs, throw out those I won't fill (about 10%), stick those I want to keep into my tailor sorting book (about 20%), then fill the 70% that remain (which are mostly cloth, but a few leathers with pitiful rewards as well).
d. Redo the new tailor BODs over and over (adding new BOD runs' results) for 1-3 days until I'm left with about 100 keeper tailor BODs to sort, and none to cycle, plus the 30 or so smith BODs.
e. sort the BODs, assemble completed sets, fill the sets and the stand-alone POF chance BODs for their rewards. (I just did this in the last week, BTW)

So, in a given month, I'll probably turn in about 3-4 large smith BODs and 20 smalls, and 5-10 Tailor Larges, but about 300-500 tailor smalls, in the quest to get more barbed kit BODs, through easy cycling.

Now, for that elaboration.

Consider this....

Number of Smith BODs
5 Weapon larges x 6 for the different count/quality combinations: 30 larges
3 Armor larges x6 for count/quality, x 9 for metals = 162 larges

That's 192 large BODs - FOUR give the top two Runic rewards, and the chance of them spawning is miniscule due to the fact they are Verite and valorite

Small BOD chance for one of these.
1/2 (weapon/armor split) * 1/4 (plate, if armor) * 1/2 (has to be Exceptional) = 1/16.
1/16 * chance of being Valorite or Verite (assuming 4.2%, which is chance of Verite + chance for Valorite, when mining an area for the first time - which I think is considerably higher than the BOD metal type chances, but at least I could find it to work with...) = 42/1000 * 1/16 = 21/8000 = 0.2625%
0.2625% * 92% (chance of it being a small BOD) = 0.2415%, or less than 1 in 400 chance of a Verite hammer or Valorite Hammer small

Chance of a large is 8% * 0.5 (to get the weapons/armor split) * 0.5 (Iron/colored) * 4/144 = (0.08 * 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.02) * 1/36 = 1/50 * 1/36 = 1/1800 chance of getting a large for these hammers.

Note that, since there are 4 larges, and each of the smalls will fit only one of them, if you get ONE large, there's only a 25% chance that any smalls you get that fall into that 0.2415% chance will be one of those FOR your large, so that effectively reduces that 0.2415% to 0.0604%, and you've got to hit THAT lottery SIX times without a repeat to fill it.

There are a total of
(2+5+6+6+6) * 6 = 150 small weapons BODS
11 * 6 = 66 Iron famer BODs (fall under Armor branch of decision tree)
13 * 6 = 78 Iron combinable armor smalls
66 * 8 = 528 famer colored BODs
78 * 8 = 624 Combinable colored small BODs

That's 150+66+78+528+624 = 1446 possible Smith small BODs - and only TWENTY-FOUR of them go toward the highest smith rewards.

Now, compare to Tailoring, and the chance to get a barbed kit (the equivalent of Verite/Valorite Hammer)

# of tailor BODs
LBODs: 9 cloth, 5 regular leather, 4 each colored leather (since the colored footwear no longer spawn) * 6 = 156 Larges. (54 cloth, 30 leather, 72 colored leather)
Smalls:
(7x3 + 2x4) cloth smalls x 6 = 29*6 = 174
(4+5+5+6+6) leather smalls x 6 = 26*6 = 156
(5+5+6+6) x 3 colored leather smalls x 6 = 22*3*6 = 22*18 = 396

174+156+396 = 726 Possible Tailor smalls; that's half as many as there are smith BODs.

Now, how many of these fit Larges for Barbed Kits???

Of the 156 larges, 2 Spined Larges (the two 6-count 20 EX), 6 Horned Larges (all 3 EX larges for both 6-parts) and TEN Barbed Larges (All EX 6-parts, both 20 Normal 6-parts, and both 20 Ex 5-parts) give a Barbed Kit Reward. That's 18/156, which reduces to 3/26 or over 11.5% of the LARGES!!!! Compare that to 1/48 of the Smith larges!

Furthermore, Spined BODs are at best only as difficult to get as shadow Iron Smith BODs, Horned about as difficult as bronze, amd Barbed about as difficult as Agapite.

Now, out of those 726 small, look how many fit a Barbed Kit-prodcing Large...

16*6 (16 of the larges are 6 parter) + 2*5 (Bone Barbed 20 EX and Studded Barbed 20 EX) 96+10 = 106

106/726 = 14.6% or APPROXIMATELY ONE IN SEVEN TAILOR BODS!

Compare that to 24/1446 for Smiths! Then take into account that ALL of those 106 spawn many times more likely than a Verite or Valorite small.

Smith BOD chance for the higher metals need increased severely, and the number of BODs for the higher rewards need increased as well.

A good set of initial steps would be

1. Eliminate DC-Copper Hammers, and the ASH +15.
a. Make Bronze Hammers the lowest, where DC now occur, with 45 uses
b. Replace Shadows with Gold with 35 uses
c. Replace Coppers with +30 ASH (but reduce the uses).
d. Make the spots where +15 ASH and Bronze Hammers currently spawn the Agapite hammer slots (keep uses at 25)
e. Make the current +30 ASH slots, +60 ASH (but reduce the uses)
f. the current Gold and Agapite slots the new Verite slots, and the current ASH +60, Verite and Valorite slots become the new Valorite spots.

2. Move all the "Famer" BODs from the "Armor" side of the decision tree to the "weapon" side. This will give a "color" result meaning for that side of the tree, and insure that you will get a combinable if the tree goes to the armor side. Just this step alone will halve the number of weapon BODs junked, and double the occurance of combinable colored armor BODs.

Thank you for reading this. I think the half of my persona (the math teaching major that dropped out of college from health issues) escaped his confinement....

G

Thanks for breaking down the insane comparison of barbed kits vs Verite/Valorite hammers.

That combined with the current imbalance between leather and metal armors shows how out of kilter the Smithing BOD system is rewardwise in comparison (even though I enjoy it more than the Tailoring one)

G

I do both but do 10-1 Tailor over smith. The tailor bods are easier and more cost effective to fill. With smith either the time to get ingots --the expense of ingots ot the cost of items bought off npcs are too costly compared to tailor.

2. Which rewards are:
- too hard to get? The high end smith bods are extremely hard to get. I have collected and turned in over 15000 smith bods and have gotten 2 valorite small bods. Without the small valorite I can not get the valorite hammer. I would determine that with getting 200-300 smith bods a week I would not be able to get a valorite hammer in less than 5 years.

The large tailor bods for CBD's and Barbed kits are beginning to get difficult as well. They seem to be coming rarer and rarer. But it is still more profitable to get barbed Runic kits. It just takes more time recently but they are obtainable unlike the valorite hammer.

- too easy to get? The streatched hides are useless, so are the dull copper hammers. Shovels and picks are almost worthless as well. The goyle picks and prospector tools do come in handy --but after you get 2-300 they are a waste of space.

- are the most useful? Barbed Kits, Clothing Bless Deeds and possible the Horned Kits. The Powder of Fortification and Gold hammers and uo as well as the 60 ash.

- are the least useful? Stretched hides, Shovels, Picks, power scrolls, low end hammers, spined runics.

3. How many BODs do you collect and turn in each day? I collect an average of 100 new bods a day and on the average day I turn in another 150 to get new bods.

I might suggest that you review the drop rates of valorite and verite bods. I would also look at changing the rewards for both types of bods.

Possibilities:

A Powder of Fortification for Tailor made items only. Similar to the POF we have currently but make it so that Smith Powder works on Smith Items and a Tailor POF works on Tailored items.

Ingots as a reward for turning in some smith bods, instead of shovels and picks all the time.

Hides for turning in some Tailor bods, instead of the cloth all the time.

New tapestries or wall hangings as well as new rugs or floor tiles.

Get rid of all hammers copper and under and the same for spined runics. Or up the mods they can produce.

Consider a point system for rewards. Instead of getting an instant reward you can choose to accumulate points and work your way up to a higher reward. Or a reward trade in system like the Tokuno minors.

Add some new rewards to keep the program fresh.

Consider making land specific bods and rewards. Tokuno bought a whole new style of clothing as did Heartwood. Let these new lands have their own bods given out on their NPC's and rewards that represent them. Players can choose to work for a wider variety of rewards.

O

Ox_Dematari

1. I collect both types of bods.

2. Rewards that are:
- Too hard to get - Runic hammers above bronze, ash hammers.
- Too easy to get - I'd say non are really too easy ... they lower rewards serve a purpose
- Are most useful - gargoyle pick axes, prospectors tools, powder of fortification,
- Are least useful - sturdy pick axes / shovels

3. Most days I turn in none, I still get them though, every once in a while ill fill out about 100+ and turn em in one shot.

MY COMMENTS.

The random nature of the properties generated when using runic hammers and runic sewing kits is very annoying, considering the effort needed to get them. It would be nice if we could have a direct influence over the properties generated and if they could have a tighter intensity range that would be great.

Also putting BOD's on a point system would be nice that way EVERY bod have value and not just the ones that give the big rewards. and people who get to play only 2-3 hours a week can get a solid chance at getting the higher rewards.

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to admit to a BOD addiction..

1. BODs I do....tailoring. Prefer tailoring to smithing.

2. Rewards too hard to get...I find the barbed runics the hardest to get. May be my luck but I seem to get small bods most of the time. Can go weeks without getting a large bod of any type.

Rewards too easy to get..have to agree with the hide deeds.

Most useful for me are the horned runics, CBD's, Tapestry's, Bear rugs, 120 scrolls and the Barbed runics. The rest of the bods I get outside of the ones needed for these larges get recycled to be turned in for more bods.

Least useful..the + 5 and 10 tailor scrolls, and the stretched hides..

3. I get at minimum 2 bods a day. About once a week I turn in what I have completed for more bods. Which ends up being around 100.

I would also like to suggest maybe making the bone armor large bod rewards a bit better. Takes a lot more resources to complete. I find I only keep the highest reward bods in bone just because of the time needed to collect all the bone needed.