• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP dying a painful death from Tamers Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just make scrolls drop in Tram - and nerf pets in Fel and everyone is happy.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm with this other guy. Give players 80 in all resists and 750 hit points, and allow them to have 1320 skill cap. I want to be as equal as the pets are.
don't foget The base damage of 24-33 :D

Players maximum base-damage is 20-24 btw, achieved only with the Heavy Crossbow or the Paladin sword.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sampire can take down stuffs quicker but not with MAX luck suit and I also agree that sampire is over power in PvM but at least they are there taking damages, not hiding behind a meat shield with a max luck suit.
I don't think Sampire or any other solo warrior set up is that OP, myself. It's one of the most expensive, it IS the most risky, and requires a fair amount of your attention. It should be the strongest pvm set up. Tamers should be the weakest IMO, because it's cheap to gear, requires just 3 skills to be viable, and requires zero player skill and very little attention (all kill, invis, bandage macro, the end). I am speaking as a pvm only tamer here, to clarify.

That said, I think things are fine now. My only issues with taming in pvm are balance issues within the skill, some pets/abilities being obviously great and other being obviously crap despite being the same level.

Contrary to reactionary belief taming CAN be adjusted to not ruin pvp and have little to no effect on pvm. In fact there have been very very few major changes made to pvm because of pvp balance, and they obviously aren't going to just unravel a whole 1/4 of the year dev cycle to fix a pvp imbalance. Odds are better that they will just let pvp be ****ed, and believe it or not... no one should want that.

Aeyko

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
You realize once upon a time there was NO TRAM correct? So there will be benefits to coming to Felluca. If you want all reward and no risk, Sims online will meet your fancy.

Your pets won't allow you to come to felluca now... And if pvpers start abusing this, like the weaker ones have already, then you'll have a real mess on your hands in coming to spawn.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone has the same options when it comes to spawns... it just so happens people with little or no experience in pvp have little or no chance of successfully taking a spawn & the rewards.
So, Who's fault is that?
Exactly... why should people who focus on pvp be punished for being better than people who put in little to no effort? I have no allusions about whats going to happen when I run into a red. I will either die, or run away. Staying to fight would be stupid, because I don't like to pvp, and I suck at it. That's how it should be. I still do champ spawns. :p

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm with this other guy. Give players 80 in all resists and 750 hit points, and allow them to have 1320 skill cap. I want to be as equal as the pets are.
LOL, don't forget 700 str, 500 mana as well. That way your archer will do like 400-500 dmg a hit. HAHAHAHA

Aeneas

Adventurer
Tamers are some of the richest players in the game. They have no issue buying all the 120 scrolls for their pets. In fact, they are the reason 120 wrestling/parry and other pet related scrolls are as expensive as they are now.

To them (and my tamer), scrolls already drop in Tram; the minor different is Tram vendors, not Tram champs. I don't scroll my pet to 120. 115 is more than enough for me. The only different between 120 and 115 pet skill in pvm is a minute or 2 between "all kill" and loot.

I would have zero problem with pet skill cap (700 or 720) and cap pet damage to player.

What would make pet pvp fun? Make is so that if the pet is attacking me, I'll give it some food and it would ignore owner's command for a min or until its owner feeds it again.

Would make fighting fun :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I keep hearing this absurd 15 secs to kill pets - wow no wonder people are leaving this game.
I don't see how that would be remotely possible. The MAX damage you will do on a pet per hit is 35. Assume a pet has just 600 health (low), and you chain AI the whole fight (impossible) and swing at max swing speed, and land every hit (vs 120 wrestling) till the pet is dead (nearly impossible), assume it has no casting (unlikely) and misses you with every swing (near impossible) it would still take 18 swings around 23 seconds. Of course this is not how it would happen in any way shape or form, but even with the above noted god more it would take longer than 15 seconds.

In real life... you probably just aren't gonna kill it. It could have HPR, it's owner could and would most likely be healing it, you would be missing it a fair amount, and it would be hitting you a fair amount (for more damage than you are doing to it) and it's owner could and most likely would be attacking you as well.
You'll stop you pvping to kill try to kill a pet, will probably fail to do so, and will need to run off because you took too much damage, or die because you got dismounted. Even if you manage to separate the pet from the owner and get the pet relined they could just log in/out 5 screens over, heal the pet back to max in 10 bandages or so (in under a minutes time) and it all starts again. Trust me, no pvper ever killed a greater dragon of mine because of this, and the new pets are far far more dangerous to get into melee combat with, which is the only real viable way to kill a monster with any relative speed.

I just don't see it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like...you guys realize the skilled and experienced pvpers are going g to abuse those same pets and just kill you anyways right?
I would eat my hat if even 5% of people actively pvping with pets right now are trammies who came to fel feeling they were now able to defend themselves. No, it's probably almost completely people who spend most of their time pvping abusing the broken mechanics.

I would also wager than zero of the pvmers in this thread (myself included) have been to fel any more than they regularly would, or have done any more pvping that they regularly would have, which in both cases is probably zero.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What would make pet pvp fun? Make is so that if the pet is attacking me, I'll give it some food and it would ignore owner's command for a min or until its owner feeds it again.
lol, thats a fun idea. :p

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't see how that would be remotely possible. The MAX damage you will do on a pet per hit is 35. Assume a pet has just 600 health (low), and you chain AI the whole fight (impossible) and swing at max swing speed, and land every hit (vs 120 wrestling) till the pet is dead (nearly impossible), assume it has no casting (unlikely) and misses you with every swing (near impossible) it would still take 18 swings around 23 seconds. Of course this is not how it would happen in any way shape or form, but even with the above noted god more it would take longer than 15 seconds.

In real life... you probably just aren't gonna kill it. It could have HPR, it's owner could and would most likely be healing it, you would be missing it a fair amount, and it would be hitting you a fair amount (for more damage than you are doing to it) and it's owner could and most likely would be attacking you as well.
You'll stop you pvping to kill try to kill a pet, will probably fail to do so, and will need to run off because you took too much damage, or die because you got dismounted. Even if you manage to separate the pet from the owner and get the pet relined they could just log in/out 5 screens over, heal the pet back to max in 10 bandages or so (in under a minutes time) and it all starts again. Trust me, no pvper ever killed a greater dragon of mine because of this, and the new pets are far far more dangerous to get into melee combat with, which is the only real viable way to kill a monster with any relative speed.

I just don't see it.
Actually I believe he was referring to a post that stated it shouldn't take longer than 15 seconds and that's why it needed nerfing.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Admittedly, I've been incredibly vocal against changes to the taming revamp. Even more so with my disdain towards pvp.
With that said perhaps a compromise should be considered. Don't get me wrong, I don't want any change that directly effects pvm. Tamers have needed an upgrade in that aspect for a very long time. However I do believe that a compromise is possible. Dismount seems to be a problem. Removing it from pets would have zero effect on pvm. I also wouldn't mind a drastic reduction to damage output towards players only.
I guess what I'm saying is that if changes can be made that can help balance pvp without nerfing pets for pvmers then I personally would have no issues with adjustments. However, anything that nerfs pets in a whole effecting both play styles would make for a lot of ticked off players. I can assure you more pvmers will leave than pvpers that are threatening to leave now.
Compromise. Compromise. Compromises are one of the biggest problems with this community. All of the real pvp'ers, that actually understand pvp have just as much say on these forums as the one's who don't, and are always having to make "compromises" with them. For example, the pvp community at LARGE wanted the tactics requirement completely removed for specials, and yet they only dropped it to 60 to "compromise." Someone mentioned on another site that these forums were just an echo chamber for people who either don't pvp, or are complete non-factors like tyrath, goldberg and malagaste. And then players like myself, Paith, Leet, etc, who literally break down pvp to a science are completely ignored.

Hey, I guess this is what happens when you have a garbage development team, developing a game that 99% of the gaming world doesn't know about, leeching off the backs of the hardcore following the once glorious game still has; and thinking that they know better what the players want in terms of pvp, better than the *actual* pvpers (the real experts). I can guarantee that I understand PvP (including balance, what's fun, etc) better than every single one of the developers, and yet players like myself are just completely ignored and turned off from this community. This is very much like what happened to SWG, except the community here is far more loyal. The UO developers should be getting on their knees and begging players like myself for advice on how to revive this game.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PVP DYING A PAINFUL DEATH FROM MAGES ONLINE

I'm so sick of this. By it's very definition and through etymology alone, the act of "player versus player"match should be all about proper dueling. Man vs man, where either brings nothing but his own damn self to battle field. For this reason, I'm pvping as a pure wrestler (120 wrestling+ gloves of pugilist) and refuse to use weapons, pets and, most certainly, spells.

PvP should, and must always be..physical. You must hear the grunts, whimpers and groans of the other man. You must smell his sweat and feel his flexed muscles as they struggle to undo you and yours. His breath must be hot air against your warm, oiled and moist flesh. Mages and other spell casters aren't physical but the opposite. They stand afar and bend laws of physics with their foul witchcraft. As such, they are anti-pvp by definition.

I am confident my approach to pvp is right. If I ever feel at disadvantage, it is always the case of devs, game and other players doing it wrong. I absolutely refuse to adjust to changes, adapt or change my ways.

Ultima Online?? More like Harry Potter Online, am I right????

I have 12 or 19 but probably 46 accounts and I will cancel them all if devs keep neglecting my (=correct and proper) way to do pvp and refuse to meet my demands.

I demand:
- Wrestling rink to every major city.(Pref integrated to YMCA clubhouses)
- Public Sauna to every major city
- Proper wrestling uniform for any and all male characters. (See: Borat movie for reference)
- Free massages

Last edited:

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly as a non pvp'er I really do not care what happens to pets against players, as long as it doesn't change pets in PVM. I always thought my best Greater Dragon was a beast in PVM (still do) yet the few times I've done a champ spawn with a tamer and got raided I was dead before my GD was even scratched. What has changed with this new publish? I have a strong feeling that the small group I go with will still get wiped out by the PVP pros, new pets or no new pets. Maybe if only one lone red were to show up, but c'mon... ;) If I were to do a spawn now it certainly would NOT be with a tamer.

So, if pets are really disrupting pvp for those that enjoy it, then balance away, IMHO. Just please, please leave them be for PVM, this is the most fun many of us have had in years.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually I believe he was referring to a post that stated it shouldn't take longer than 15 seconds and that's why it needed nerfing.
And that's because when a pet like the greater dragons was the king, in PvP if it was causing you trouble you could equip a drag spellbook and ebolt it back to tram. Now people just mount pets stronger than the greater dragon that take **** dmg.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Please record it to video. I want to see how fast she hits the dirt. :popcorn:
First.. I am a dude. See the char pic?

What's even funnier is, in general the pvper are the ones with a huge amount of game mechanics knowledge. I bet I know more about the inside and outside of the new pet system than most of the pvmers clamoring don't touch my pets, and build them to the proper specs for damage output, so in the end the pvpers pet will probably be better than the pet you are defending anyways.

Just a dumb argument.
Well if that is the case why even gripe about it o_O .. Just do that.. *shrugs*

You're throwing out scenario's that YOU YOURSELF have not been apart of.
I have said that very thing a few different places in this thread...

I'd like to invite you to come to a secluded area with me and try to fight m PVMER with any pvp type character you have.
I do not PvP so have no PvP chars... and even if I did do you honestly think I would be in a huge hurry to pop my PvP cherry with someone who is arguably among the best of the best? C'mon now...

I think you'll change your tune relatively fast when you see what ONE person with a PVM pet can do.
Change my tune? Did you read the entire thread? Or did you merely start from the point where I asked where the uproar was on other forums? Just in case...

From the first page of the thread:

When I first started reading this post the only thing I was thinking was "Hell, I can out run any of my pets on foot and they can not catch me... and I lag like heck. So the "speeding" pvp rascals should have no issue with the pets".

As I kept reading I began to see some of the points being made. Points I can get onboard with even though I am and always have been one who only takes pets to Fel....

1 - Create a "Pet Slayer" property that adds additional damage to any tamed pet (the only exception I personally would have on this is for them to find a way to limit the property on a Sampire and other high end temps because some of them still hit for a TON.. I would imagine in PvP they can still hit the pets for 150+ easily as they do in Pvm - if I am wrong see the note in #2)

Personally for now I would only make the property available on Spell Books. Sure, some pets already have a vulnerability to slayers but others do not. Creating new slayer types for the pets who have no vulnerability would just be stupid imo. There are already TOOOO dang many slayers to carry as it is.. and why bog down the PVP'er with 4+ more slayer types and make them have to carry them all at once. In PVM it does not matter how many we have to carry because we know what we are hunting before we head out and can snag what we need. A mage PVP'er hits a spawn to raid and is instantly hit by 2-6 different pets.... no way to set macros to swap to the specific slayer type they need for the pet that is closest.

2 - Remove the 25% SDI cap against pets (that is provided that actually exists - shows what I know about PvP - yepp, it ain't much. My involvement in it is usually reduced to dying once they raid my spawn :p )

3 - Increase the damage reduction against players on pets that are higher than 105 (Last I heard it was 30.. I would jump to 40)

Sure, maybe a pita as far as coding goes.. but after putting my 120 Cu on myself (and not running) it hits for 34 range but does hit constantly. However a GM Cu does not hit anywhere near as often. And I personally do not think 34 damage is OP unless you are getting hit constantly.

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nerf the pets that have started the leveling process(in pvp). If a pet has not started the training process leave it alone and do no reduction to pvp on them. They never caused problems before all the new stuff came into play. Plus it would actually make dreads somewhat worth what people paid to have a rare pet again. Just my 2 cents.
There wasn't many tamers that still play that was really considered much of a threat until the new leveling system. Now you can take anyone in the game give them a pet and they can do pretty much anything. I think this is the most fair for everyone

@Bleak @Kyronix
@Mesanna

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
For the second time, I am making a public warning:
Do not take this discussion and turn it into personal insults and attacks on one another. If your argument isn't gaining traction on it's merits, do not attack the other persons credibility.

Per the RoC, which can be found here: Rules of Conduct | Stratics Community Forums ,
  • Trolling is defined as: To make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
  • Personal attacks are defined as: The making of an abusive remark on or relating to one's person instead of providing evidence when examining another person's claims or comments.
  • Baiting is defined as when a user trolls an individual for the purpose of eliciting a negative response.
  • In the event a user reports a post that is a reaction to a troll or personal attack (baiting) the reporting party issued, the reporting party will receive a double weighted warning.
  • Civil, tactful, constructive criticism of a game, game mechanic, or on site practice is allowable so long as it remains impersonal.
Additionally, please keep all posts on topic. Do not post meaningless memes, links to other games, or other mindless jibber jabber. The topic at hand is how PVP has been affected by the taming patch. While we understand that power scrolls at Fel spawns, the cost to "suit up", and some other areas are related to PVP in general are intertwined with this subject, please do not derail the entire thread with these other non-related comments and instead consider making a new thread of your own. If you have generally nothing to add, please don't weigh in to simply hate on PVP.

Furthermore, I have done some clean up in the thread for now, but the next step will be for thread bans and warnings to be issued to those who are unable to participate in a meaningful and respectful manner.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
On the issue of pets in PVP and over powered pets, would just completely removing dismount and limiting their teleporting range fix some portion of this madness?

Also, I have thought about adding more slayers and this and that, can't their just be a "Tamed" slayer? Or is that just too much? Not a big PVP person myself, I stay in cat form and run trade quests while chatting with people in real life. Also, I must highly recommend trying a stroll through Jhelom sometime, the airid fish fumes and ample dirt (for hiding your excrement) is quite nice. Meow.

Maybe make it an imbuable or lootable quality on talismans and weapons. For mages, nobody likes mages anyways... hehe. Nah, just make it a questable book or craftable with Inscription.. (which needs to be reworked to imbuing style imo).

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I never really wanted to be a tamer... Until now.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the issue of pets in PVP and over powered pets, would just completely removing dismount and limiting their teleporting range fix some portion of this madness?

Also, I have thought about adding more slayers and this and that, can't their just be a "Tamed" slayer? Or is that just too much? Not a big PVP person myself, I stay in cat form and run trade quests while chatting with people in real life. Also, I must highly recommend trying a stroll through Jhelom sometime, the airid fish fumes and ample dirt (for hiding your excrement) is quite nice. Meow.

Maybe make it an imbuable or lootable quality on talismans and weapons. For mages, nobody likes mages anyways... hehe. Nah, just make it a questable book or craftable with Inscription.. (which needs to be reworked to imbuing style imo).
prolly not, they still would be too powerful. in fact, at one point in the past pets could teleport, and it was removed for good reason, tho all are viable steps in the right direction

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So pvm tamers want to be able to solo a spawn faster than a sampire? Not only that, they want to be able to fight off several players who come to raid all by themselves?

Cmon now, this is getting ridiculous

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you mean that these pvp would not all flock there if there were no non pvp players?
the point is, if you can get anything from Fel that is also obtainable in Tram-ruleset facets, there's no reason to get it in fel because you remove a risk of player interference.

Powerscrolls being only obtainable from Fel Champion spawns (pvm content, in a pvp-enabled zone) is what draws people to those areas.
Since the items (powerscrolls) are not character-bound, people who do not want to take part in anything where other players can ruin their experience, can buy powerscrolls from those of us that do. Or they can farm on a shard where there are fewer people so the chances they're raided are slim to none.

but hey, speaking of people "ruining gameplay" for others, how are those multi-boxers doing in those EM events?
When's the last time you saw any multi-boxers at a Fel-based Event?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Exactly... why should people who focus on pvp be punished for being better than people who put in little to no effort? I have no allusions about whats going to happen when I run into a red. I will either die, or run away. Staying to fight would be stupid, because I don't like to pvp, and I suck at it. That's how it should be. I still do champ spawns. :p
That sounds so much like what I do too. I don't like to PvP (and with 250 ms ping, I wouldn't be able to anyway) and if I find myself in a situation that will come to PvP, I will just sit and wait for the screen go grey. Then move to do something else.
And I also still do a lot of fel champ spawns.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The point is you want non-PvP skilled players to come be your pawns in Fel for you to easily target and kill and you don't want scrolls moved to Trammel because you then wouldn't have "sitting ducks" to target for your so called PvP... THAT is NOT PvP... That's PvEasy...

The real issue is that you are afraid you won't have easy targets to kill.... that's the point.

I still say go ahead and nerf pets in Fel that's great... but don't force me to pay outragous prices to a bunch of anti-social A$& Hats who's only "fun" in game is destroying the "fun" of other players...

And FYI any time I've EVER been raided in Fel it's ALWAYS been by one to two at the most Speed hacking little miscreats... who wouldn't be able to really play the game as designed if they were forced not to cheat... And they use the ghost cams and every other exploit they can find because they think cheating is winning... and can't really play any game without cheating because they aren't skilled enough to actually play a game as intended...

When I have been raided by "real" PvPers ... I often get away long before they can kill me... I know the cheaters when I see them. And yes your argument about them using uber hyped pets is true and all... that's why I'm avoiding Fel till the stupidity dies down...

And I REFUSE to pay these self same twerks a dime...

I don't have zillions in Gold to pay for scrolls that are now inflated to 500% of what they were... and I won't pay it. Never did before don't plan to now. I'll wait... eventually they will balance things out again and the fellies will get bored because they won't have any easy prey and they'll go back into the gutter where they belong and I'll be able to do spawns again without the continuous ghost cams watching every entrance to champs... because they will have gotten bored and moved on to some other crap shard to chase ghosts...

Personally I'd prefer if they quit trying to lure sheeple to Fel and made Fel more fun for PvP .... REAL PvP not PvEasy... and gave you all something really more suited to PvP.... than fishing in a barrel for easy targets... fixing VvV would be a start... giving you all Town Buffs when you hold a City would be nice... etc... I'm not against PvP .... I think it's a great part of UO... what I'm against is trying to lure easy targets to be victims of abuse... That's not PvP.

I remember PvP... I did it when it was fun. Fun for me is not to be ganked... but a well rounded, battle between groups or 1 vs 1 that is balanced and about skill... L33T PvPerz killing trammies at a champ spawn when they are already pinned in and 2/3s dead is NOT PvP... That's just cheap.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bleak @Kyronix

A fair summary I'd say:

1. Rip the abilities the Magery mastery grants pets right out of PvP. Teleport isn't the only problem and you are now aware of it.

2. Further reduce dmg from 30% to 50+%.

3. Reduce pets hit chance versus players. The added 120 wrestling made a gigantic difference in how often they hit.

4. Scale pet damage taken to go along with damage given. 50% damage reduction to AND FROM players. Still barely scathing a 80d resist out pet but it's a start. Consider making it 200%... Yea seriously. Even if you could energy bolt a pet for 50 dmg it would take potentially 20 of them. Only apply these to ADVANCED TRAINED pets. No reason to one shot a horse or a lesser hiryu. Would even make pets like the dread mare viable again in some aspects.

5. Remove armor ignore cap against ADVANCE TRAINED pets. If damage taken by pets from players is a big number/percentage then a mage can also make a dent but armor ignore would be most effective.

6. Add slayer options for all pet types, both book and weap/tali. Crazy the mares never had one. Consider just making them demon. Also consider a single slayer option such as Pet or Tamed slayer so as to not effect pvm in any way. Could even make the recipe/items available in pvm for another thing to farm for the good ole boys

7. Allow pets to be paralyzed as if they had 100 resist no matter how much resist they have. This allows u to paralyze a pet to get away from it, as well as stopping pet's like the najasaurus from just walking through para fields.

8. Consider nerfing dismount altogether. As has been said, hiryus had it before but they were easy dealt with with a dragon slayer and cold/energy. They also didn't have other abilities to deal with. If desired to be kept in game, consider adding a colldown of just 1 second if dismounted by a pet tho removed all together is prolly best.

Prolly others... But feel this is all viable, all doable, has no effect on pvming, and helps put pets around where they were while still granting them some abilities so they are still fresh and new even in PvP.

I'd also implore you... Hell BEG you... To act on this as quickly as you did the Phoenix movement speed. That's was an impressive turn around, and was necessary to implement quickly. This is no different. Everyday it gets worse.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The point is you want non-PvP skilled players to come be your pawns in Fel for you to easily target and kill and you don't want scrolls moved to Trammel because you then wouldn't have "sitting ducks" to target for your so called PvP... THAT is NOT PvP... That's PvEasy...

The real issue is that you are afraid you won't have easy targets to kill.... that's the point.

I still say go ahead and nerf pets in Fel that's great... but don't force me to pay outragous prices to a bunch of anti-social A$& Hats who's only "fun" in game is destroying the "fun" of other players...

And FYI any time I've EVER been raided in Fel it's ALWAYS been by one to two at the most Speed hacking little miscreats... who wouldn't be able to really play the game as designed if they were forced not to cheat... And they use the ghost cams and every other exploit they can find because they think cheating is winning... and can't really play any game without cheating because they aren't skilled enough to actually play a game as intended...

When I have been raided by "real" PvPers ... I often get away long before they can kill me... I know the cheaters when I see them. And yes your argument about them using uber hyped pets is true and all... that's why I'm avoiding Fel till the stupidity dies down...

And I REFUSE to pay these self same twerks a dime...

I don't have zillions in Gold to pay for scrolls that are now inflated to 500% of what they were... and I won't pay it. Never did before don't plan to now. I'll wait... eventually they will balance things out again and the fellies will get bored because they won't have any easy prey and they'll go back into the gutter where they belong and I'll be able to do spawns again without the continuous ghost cams watching every entrance to champs... because they will have gotten bored and moved on to some other crap shard to chase ghosts...

Personally I'd prefer if they quit trying to lure sheeple to Fel and made Fel more fun for PvP .... REAL PvP not PvEasy... and gave you all something really more suited to PvP.... than fishing in a barrel for easy targets... fixing VvV would be a start... giving you all Town Buffs when you hold a City would be nice... etc... I'm not against PvP .... I think it's a great part of UO... what I'm against is trying to lure easy targets to be victims of abuse... That's not PvP.

I remember PvP... I did it when it was fun. Fun for me is not to be ganked... but a well rounded, battle between groups or 1 vs 1 that is balanced and about skill... L33T PvPerz killing trammies at a champ spawn when they are already pinned in and 2/3s dead is NOT PvP... That's just cheap.

Your argument is about 3 years too late. You can easily solo a coon in 15-20 minutes, and maybe see someone "raid" you 1 of every 5.

If you're not getting scrolls it's self inflicted.

I dropped the last 3 accounts because of this publish. They should be falling in a couple months. Enjoy!

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
@Bleak @Kyronix
4. Scale pet damage taken to go along with damage given. 50% damage reduction to AND FROM players. Still barely scathing a 80d resist out pet but it's a start. Consider making it 200%... Yea seriously. Only apply these to ADVANCED TRAINED pets. No reason to one shot a horse or a lesser hiryu. Would even make pets like the dread mare viable again in some aspects.
That is a very important point about applying it only to the Advanced Trained Pets. Hopefully this part does not get missed by the devs. No need to nerf non-tamers by allowing their horse to be killed in one shot.

If that is too difficult to code, I would suggest not adding the extra 50% damage taken, and only change the damage they do vs players to 50%. It would be a bigger nerf to non-tamers than it would be for a tamer whose pet would still be difficult to kill after that.

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Bleak @Kyronix
and helps put pets around where they were
This one part sums it up rather nicely... I mean when push comes to shove the end game is still wanting to keep pets being underpowered to the temps currently being ran by the PvP crowd.. as another poster put a few posts back "a pet should not take longer than 15 seconds to kill".....

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This one part sums it up rather nicely... I mean when push comes to shove the end game is still wanting to keep pets being underpowered to the temps currently being ran by the PvP crowd.. as another poster put a few posts back "a pet should not take longer than 15 seconds to kill".....
Kiley man... You are fixated on that comment. 15 seconds is an eternity in PvP. A player can be killed all things perfect in 5 seconds 1v1 in a perfect situation. Why is it unfair to suggest a pet dying in 15 is wrong? 15 seconds is what 11-12 armor ignores?

No one should have a ridable boss/named mob, but that's what these are when encountering them.

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Want an even easier fix? Force all PvPers to go to Seige/Mugen. I bet the esteemed psuedo-PvPers on prodo shards wouldn't enjoy that. Why go somewhere with so much risk when you can milk the cash cow that are prodo shards? </sarcasm>
Prodo PvPers wouldn't play Siege. Risk losing their fancy suits for the Reward of looting a victim? They lack the gonads to take such a risk. Risk vs Reward is supposed to be us risking losing things to them, not them losing things to us. They'd whine 'THAT'S NOT FAIR!' and threaten to close their accounts.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And if Pvpers were able to get their scrolls from trammel... they wouldn't bother doing spawns in fel.

There's a big difference between wanting "rewarding things for pvpers to fight over", and wanting "rewarding things that cause Pvmers to come get destroyed"...
Your misconception of a "pvper" is the problem, it doesn't help your argument, it points out your bias. that's all it does.

I want things that come exclusively from fel.
I want things that come exclusively from Ilshenar, etc etc.
It's important that EACH Facet has many different unique rewards only to come from those Facets.
I want reasons to go to each area of the game.... That's what Everyone should Want. It's also one of the main reasons so much of UO's content is not being used.

... Back on topic though...

IMO, the problems that tamers had prior to the Pet-revamp are still problems after the pet-revamp, all of which are "pvm-based" issues.
Things like:

#1) Pets cannot change their damage types. (Still broken) This would have effected pvp a bit more than most other changes, but it certainly wouldn't be anywhere near as game-breaking as it is.
#2) Pets have no options to gain slayer damage bonus/vulnerability. very minimal effect on pvp... (Still broken)
#3) Most single-slot pets are still too weak defensively to survive most mid- higher end mobs regardless of your healing abilities. (Still broken) and for pets that have already gone through the leveling process, have WAY too much defense for both pvp AND pvm, considering it only takes a fraction of points from a single level to achieve this....

The things the pet revamp did somewhat a better job at addressing:

#1) Pets are now able to consume powerscrolls. I think any and all pets should be able to consume powerscrolls regardless of whether or not the pet has undergone "training". (still broken, imo)
#2) Greater Dragons aren't the only pets being used anymore... but really, less and less tamers are going to be using them as more time goes by... it's just a shift from one pet type to likely a few more than a single pet type. (but, still broken)

The ability to increase a pets "Base Damage Per Second" was much more a problem before there were follower-based limits on it. but, it's unnecessary for this option to be available on any pet that is 4 slots and under, base damage should not reach a cap of 24-33 though (greater dragon) Unless the pet is Unable to be Mounted.

There's no trade off between mountable & non-mountable pets, they're literally the same thing in terms of stats once they both reach 5/5 slots. but as a pet the player is able to mount, there comes many more uses for it. Which has been reported before the publish was pushed live, as a matter of fact, It may have been the First issue people talked about during the testing phase...

Of course the publish was rushed, It's the same story with literally EVERY Publish, that is nothing new.
Hopefully there's an easier (but effective) way to fix these issues.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Prodo PvPers wouldn't play Siege. Risk losing their fancy suits for the Reward of looting a victim? They lack the gonads to take such a risk. Risk vs Reward is supposed to be us risking losing things to them, not them losing things to us. They'd whine 'THAT'S NOT FAIR!' and threaten to close their accounts.
I played siege. Not only can I never find anyone to fight, when I do they just smoke bomb again and then I'd go back to hunting. The only times you could find a number of players was at EM events. Random as hell post but ya

I Love Girls

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After this publish has gone live, there is no doubt this is the end to the PVP as we know it. UO has gone through several radical changes throughout the years:

AOS, Samurai Empire, Mondain's legacy, Stygian Abyss...

Each time massive changes have happened there is a period in time where certain skills or combinations were "OP" (Over Powered) such as pets are OP currently. In the weeks or months that followed there would be tons of discussions of possible fixes or "Nerfs" to bring back balance. The balance is important so that each person could still play what ever template that suited their preference the most. However the PVP population keeps dwindling in UO because of various reasons. As a result there has not been a "Great Uproar" simply because the UO population is on its last leg. There have been several comments as to "I would care less if PVP ended" please keep in mind this game was first started in a Felucca only facet and there would be no Trammel if there were no Felucca... Trammel and other facets only exist because of Felucca.

In the current situation there are certain things that need to be addressed:

#1 I think if we make any changes that affect PVM side of this game all hell would break loose so I would suggest keeping that as it is. It is also great to see players return and the renewed interest in UO.

#2 Pets are Over Powered in PVP for a few reasons
  • Pet HP are currently in the range of 800-1000
  • Resist are currently between 70-80 for most resist
  • Mares have no slayer
  • Before pets had at least 1 very low resist so you could effectively counter the extremely high HP by slayer enemy of 1 and a wep with 100% damage against the lowest resist
  • AI cap of 35 damage against 800-1000 HP
  • Now even with slayers enemy of 1 and consecrate wep you will be hitting for 20-30 against a pet on a hard hitting dexxer template and mages will run out of mana even before the pet is down 1/4 health.. So it takes a very long time to kill a pet now
  • Pets are able to melee hit for 30-35 against a non cursed player, cast at a 4/6 cap without any spells above their heads to give a warning, cannot be disrupted, and are able to withstand paralyze which is a mages main defense against a pet.
  • Pets basically do not have a skill cap (characters have a skill cap of 720)
#3 Power scrolls need to stay in Felucca spawn sites PERIOD
  • If spawning and getting raided isn't your cup of tea then please get gold in a different fashion and buy the scrolls that you would like that are accessible on non PVP facets (tram ish tokuno garg etc....)
  • Power scrolls being used on pets is the main reason most people are even buying power scrolls now... before this prices were steadily dropping since most people already had more characters scrolled out then they even knew how to play effectively.
  • If you think your dragon/ cu/ mare/ phoenix or w/e pet you have is going to give you a better chance of survival against a seasoned pvp with the exact same pet I wish you good luck as I will look forward to taking your scrolls.
  • If you want to farm in Felucca I suggest you partner with a PVP guild for protection... This is how it was done in the past either through alliances or PVMers joining a PVP guild.
#4 There are a few possible fixes to the current situation:
  • Having pets resist or HP lowered on a timer if it is engaged against a player
  • Increasing SDI cap against pets (I believe it follows PVP rule set like AI cap)
  • Allow pets to be paralyzed in most cases (if you are using a Naj that is not able to be paralyzed it has the trade off in that it is not able to cast)
  • Take off dismount from the list of pet specials (wont affect PVM as there is no need to dismount a Mob)
  • Basically allow for pets to be killed in a reasonable time or allow for a reasonable counter against a pet

I know I have repeated what some other people have wrote but I have done so in hopes @Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix get the message.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the new changes to taming...it's been a LONG time since tamers had a boost. But I won't disagree with those that PVP regularly. I pretty much quit PVP about the time the fencer/archers were the rage and really haven't gone back except when jumped at my houses. However, as I trained pets, I kept thinking that this was a publish that would create severe imbalances in that aspect of the game. I agree with many of the comments from Aeyko, Cetric, et al. Damage should be capped much harder. Dismount on pets in PVP removed, and the ability to para a pet from a 120 mage, in spite of their resist, should be reinstated. Otherwise, it will devolve into nothing but tamers. The amount of damage a well armed tamer with a high powered pet can do against a single player is ridiculous. I used to solve the problem of tamers PVPing by killing the tamer, but that's not at all simple anymore, especially in a zerg situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.