• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pub 86 - Traders Quest

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is currently working as intended. The "fill from backpack" option is so you don't have to drop 20 dyes into the trade crate and such. Since stackable objects come in one neat package, there's really no need for that. It's also much more complicated to process a stack of objects into the crate vs. a single object when we're dealing with automation, hence the stackable items will not fill from the backpack. That option will also ignore insured items in a future update, to reduce the likelihood that your crimmy will get pulled into the crate when it's asking for half aprons.
Good to know that the option doesn't work with stackable items. One issue I recall from before though was that you couldn't drop a stack of bread loaves into the crates. The only way I could do it was to take one at a time from the stack and drop them in.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good to know that the option doesn't work with stackable items. One issue I recall from before though was that you couldn't drop a stack of bread loaves into the crates. The only way I could do it was to take one at a time from the stack and drop them in.
I found what was going on there, that should be resolved, as well as all the alternate facing issues as well. So if it asks for a close helm, anything that's named a close helm can be dropped in, regardless of the facing.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
question @Kyronix Do the sea ambushers (kraken & Deep Sea Serpents) have a chance of dropping mibs and maps like their regularly spawning cousins?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
BUG??

There was a Close Helm in the Trade Order that I have accepted.

There are two types of Close Helm, which is sold in NPC shop.
They are the same name, just only direction is different.

However, some Trade Order accepted only Close Helm of right direction, and another Trade Order accepted only Close Helm of left direction.

There are two types of Helmet too.
(same name and difference direction)
But any Trade Order accepted any type of Helmet.

I want that any type of Close Helm will match any Trade Order.
There are actually two different names on the close helm, not sure why, but to prevent confusion the close/closed helm won't show up on trade orders.

Guri

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
There are actually two different names on the close helm, not sure why, but to prevent confusion the close/closed helm won't show up on trade orders.
I thought as following.
The appearance and the names are the same.
Just only the facing are different.

But...the name of one type is 'Close helm' and the other name is 'Close helmet'.

Since appearance was the same, I had been convinced that the name is also the same.....

Guri

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
@Kyronix Thank you about Close Helm.

I found the issues of Japanese localize.

Case 1
In the English mode client
The trade order is Cut Cloth and I can select it in the shop's menu.

but I change the Japanese mode client.
The trade order is NUNO (NUNO means Cloth, not mean Cut Cloth) and I can't select it in the shop's menu. Because both of the name are NUNO.

Case 2
There are Cloth Helm and Close Helmet in the shop's menu.
But in the Japanese mode client, those are same name.

TRADE ORDER EXSAMPLE
English mode ( Cloth and Cut Cloth )

Japanese mode ( same names )

Last edited:

Guri

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
@Kyronix Thank you about Close Helm.

I found the issues of Japanese localize.

Case 1
The trade order is Cut Cloth and I can select it in the shop's menu.

but I change the Japanese mode client.
The trade order is NUNO (NUNO means Cloth, not mean Cut Cloth) and I can't select it in the shop's menu. Because both of the name are NUNO.

Case 2
There are Cloth Helm and Close Helmet in the shop's menu.
But in the Japanese mode client, those are same name.

TRADE ORDER EXSAMPLE
English mode ( Cloth and Cut Cloth )

Japanese mode ( same names )
I think that this is not issue of Trader Quest.
The issue is that Items are different items, but those japanese name are same.

So I think that you need to check all item's japanese name to implement Trader Quest, whether or not there is an item with the same name.

Guri

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
@Kyronix
In Trader Quest, current japanese title of Smuggler means almost Thief.

I think Smuggler is a person who sells goods through illegal channels.
So I propose japanese title as follow.

This title means a person who sells goods through illegal channels.
Please consider...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will there be anything new to test for this system soonish? Need to keep the enthusiasm alive!

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At 3 weeks since the initial publish, and the later patch adding almost nothing that I remember (new loot to treasure maps, that was it wasn't it?), I'd hope we get something soon to get it ready for live shards.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggest you try to court the crafters. Trade Orders say merchant to me, not just warriors. Make crafting skills not weigh anything when spawning the mobs, this a "weak" crafter will get relatively easy things.

But saying that its not for crafters and then rewarding crafting resources is... illogical.
I'd also like that if a crafter makes the items, rather than someone just buying them from an NPC, the 'tier' value of the quest goes up one ... but I suspect that's not easily coded, and I'm unconvinced there's much enthusiasm for incorporating even that level of character 'roleplay' interaction into the game any more.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix
In Trader Quest, current japanese title of Smuggler means almost Thief.

I think Smuggler is a person who sells goods through illegal channels.
So I propose japanese title as follow.

This title means a person who sells goods through illegal channels.
Please consider...
Thank you for the note.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes. We've got another Test Center publish in the works right now.
Good to hear!

I think that the suggestion @Aurelius made is a good one. Incorporating player crafted items to enhance the rewards would benefit the system AND crafting in general. Win-win. Obviously all the items don't have player crafted version, but that's okay. Could the system be keyed to distinguish exceptionally crafted items? Who wouldn't rather receive a higher quality item versus a generic item? ;)

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good to hear!

I think that the suggestion @Aurelius made is a good one. Incorporating player crafted items to enhance the rewards would benefit the system AND crafting in general. Win-win. Obviously all the items don't have player crafted version, but that's okay. Could the system be keyed to distinguish exceptionally crafted items? Who wouldn't rather receive a higher quality item versus a generic item? ;)
Unfortunately we are a little late in the cycle to be tweaking this too much beyond what's coming to test center.

That being said, I definitely feel we are in need of some crafting love.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just read the 86.0.2 notes. Many of the changes look good, like the karma and city love/hate additions, removal of forged pardons (though they could have just been made a rare reward and that would have been fine), and adding SoTs to the city turn ins. More testing will be required to see how the rewards for city and Slim turn ins now compare.

However, no moongate functionality in Trammel still? Come on now. There is no reason to let us shortcut through the moongates in Fel but not Tram. This is just pushing players toward Fel who don't want to be there for a TRADE quest. A CITY trade quest, attached to the loyalty system, which is almost exclusively played out in Tram.

As regards to testing and the Fel vs. Tram divide... you can scroll back here and see I spreadsheeted out a bunch of testing in Fel then tried Tram. Tram was so tedious I gave up and haven't logged back on TC since. That's not risk versus reward, it's slight risk versus mind numbing tedium.

And there are going to be three Slims? That seems kinda odd... If they are static shouldn't they have different names? :p

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think there are going to be 3 slims. Maybe read that part again? It just says he'll stay in each location a little longer.

Why go overland in Tram? Well - the more ambushers you kill, the more gold the treasury gets, and the better your reward. So the further you travel, the more fighting you'll do along the way?
I agree it wasn't that interesting when the mobs were too strong to try to fight, and only marginally more so when they weren't scaled at all - but scaled to be a bit of a challenge?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After testing, I am happy to say that the scaling is MUCH improved over the last time.

I ran an order from Skara Brae in Trammel to Jhelom in Felucca, with a side trip to Britain Felucca to run in circles hoping to get ambushed. I was.. 4 times... all on the same screen. So, the ambushers spawn more often now, which is good.

So, the results: Tier 3 box Skara to Jhelom + 4x ambusher groups killed = 88,500 gold for Skara. I received a .1 spirit speak SoT. Along with love in both cities and karma.

What needs tweaked: Ambusher groups need a distance check between them, say at least 50 tiles. I couldn't even loot the first group before the second group spawned, same for the third. It *appears* that you can only spawn 1 ambusher group at a time (One group spawned as I gated from Tram to Fel and another group wouldn't spawn for me), this is probably a good thing. May want to bump up the ambusher's loot slightly based on their level, as it was a bit anemic.

Question: When the loyalty system first came out, we were told that gaining in multiple cities was a BAD THING. Is this no longer true?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I don't think there are going to be 3 slims. Maybe read that part again? It just says he'll stay in each location a little longer.
From the notes: Slim the Fence will now persist in the three tavern locations even when a trade order has been turned in to him.

He will persist when a trade order is turned in. I guess you could read that either way, but since it doesn't say he will randomly move or anything like that it sounds to me like he's staying in all three locations. Persistently.

Why go overland in Tram? Well - the more ambushers you kill, the more gold the treasury gets, and the better your reward. So the further you travel, the more fighting you'll do along the way?
I agree it wasn't that interesting when the mobs were too strong to try to fight, and only marginally more so when they weren't scaled at all - but scaled to be a bit of a challenge?
But you can go overland in Fel too for the same result. There is no need for the difference.

I'd like to run a caravan every now and then as a governor (which will mean players accepting and rejecting the quest over and over until they are all on the same city since it doesn't look like they added the ability to choose... sigh...). But I don't want to run overland or sail it every time. I don't imagine very many will.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After testing, I am happy to say that the scaling is MUCH improved over the last time.

I ran an order from Skara Brae in Trammel to Jhelom in Felucca, with a side trip to Britain Felucca to run in circles hoping to get ambushed. I was.. 4 times... all on the same screen. So, the ambushers spawn more often now, which is good.

So, the results: Tier 3 box Skara to Jhelom + 4x ambusher groups killed = 88,500 gold for Skara. I received a .1 spirit speak SoT. Along with love in both cities and karma.

What needs tweaked: Ambusher groups need a distance check between them, say at least 50 tiles. I couldn't even loot the first group before the second group spawned, same for the third. It *appears* that you can only spawn 1 ambusher group at a time (One group spawned as I gated from Tram to Fel and another group wouldn't spawn for me), this is probably a good thing. May want to bump up the ambusher's loot slightly based on their level, as it was a bit anemic.

Question: When the loyalty system first came out, we were told that gaining in multiple cities was a BAD THING. Is this no longer true?
Hmm...there should already be a distance check between spawn attempts, you also do get a bump to the loot level. Not in what spawns, but in what budget is available.

With regard to loyalty that was only true when the cities were in revolt against each other. Now that everything is peaches and cream, it's ok.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm...there should already be a distance check between spawn attempts, you also do get a bump to the loot level. Not in what spawns, but in what budget is available.
I had three spawn within about 10-20 tiles of each other. (one group at a time)

Matthias, who can't post at the moment, said that the gold he looted was normal for the base mob type, but not very representative of the difficulty of the ambusher. From what I saw, I would concur the loot was base. If the bump to the budget is reflected in potential magical items, none of these mobs (at tier 3) are anything that dropped much of interest to begin with.

With regard to loyalty that was only true when the cities were in revolt against each other. Now that everything is peaches and cream, it's ok.
This is good to know! Though a few city's interactions on Great Lakes are more curdled cream and rotten peaches...lobbed at each other like grenades. :p

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to run a caravan every now and then as a governor (which will mean players accepting and rejecting the quest over and over until they are all on the same city since it doesn't look like they added the ability to choose... sigh...). But I don't want to run overland or sail it every time. I don't imagine very many will.
I am not clear yet - and can't test it - but does difficulty scale only to the individual taking the quest, or to the party the individual is in when they take the quest? If party, that would help a lot since it would let a fair few people fight some tougher things in a Governor-led trade quest....

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not clear yet - and can't test it - but does difficulty scale only to the individual taking the quest, or to the party the individual is in when they take the quest? If party, that would help a lot since it would let a fair few people fight some tougher things in a Governor-led trade quest....
It's specific to the person who is delivering the order.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
What I really like with this trade orders and global loot are, it gives not so skilled and lonely players something to do without having to go to the dungeons. With more traveling the overland, players have easier with making friends.
Special new players to the game and players returning after several years, this will keep them busy.
On Siege, we get an extra bonus, it will give more options for PvP outside the dungeons and a lot more options for RP as the trader will want to stay alive, there may be some bridges and roads, they will have to pay taxes to pass.
So please don't allow using moongates when doing the quest on Siege.

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not 100% sure to agree with you Freya, but I understand what you mean:
Taking all moongates out, certainly would enforce overland travel, if people still do the quest then.
I think a variety in rewards like they implemented on the other shards Trammel/Felucca would give both oportunities a chance:
make rewards far greater if you do not use a moongate.
If you use a moongate, ok you did it but chances for the realy good rewards are very minor.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Don't worried Morgan, they will do the quests. And I will start mine in New Mag, so our town will get some money :)

Last edited:

bsluspo

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are on a trade quest, and are sailing on a boat (classic style), and you try to cross a server line, test center server will crash.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If you are on a trade quest, and are sailing on a boat (classic style), and you try to cross a server line, test center server will crash.
I was doing it in a Tokuno boat and crashed server 3 times the other day

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We've identified the issue with the crash, and have a fix ready for our next TC1 update. Thanks!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Also, please consider having the trade ministers reward a random runic tool along with the rare sots or replacing them, with a distribution bias towards runic fletcher's tools and runic saws, as getting those require doing dozens upon dozens of heartwood quests, and sadly, the market for those is cornered by scripters. It is not very realistic for a player to spend hours doing those quests to get the very odd runic fletcher tool or runic saw.

It would also make a bit more sense, since those are more crafting centric, and would help the market for those runic tools, making them a bit more readily available, along with taking the market fully out of scripters hands.

Since reforging was implemented, runic tools are far more coveted, thus making them a quite desirable reward.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We've identified the issue with the crash, and have a fix ready for our next TC1 update. Thanks!

Trade Quest Problem when getting killed.

My friend took a quest from Magincia to Vesper. At sea she died. We thought the quest was over, crate was gone. But when we moved more too Vesper we got ambushed while no one was carrying a crate.
Then my friend checked the trade minister and she still got the option to turn in the quest. But because she has no crate to turn in thats not possible. But now she can not take a new quest or take any gates or recalls. The Ambushers will appear on her.We tried logging out but somehow the game think she still on the quest.

There is no option to cancel the quest for her. (Maybe give that option on the trade minister as well)

Last edited:

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Trade Quest Problem when getting killed.

My friend took a quest from Magincia to Vesper. At sea she died. We thought the quest was over, crate was gone. But when we moved more too Vesper we got ambushed while no one was carrying a crate.
Then my friend checked the trade minister and she still got the option to turn in the quest. But because she has no crate to turn in thats not possible. But now she can not take a new quest or take any gates or recalls. The Ambushers will appear on her.We tried logging out but somehow the game think she still on the quest.

There is no option to cancel the quest for her. (Maybe give that option on the trade minister as well)
Thanks for the report!

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm. I was killed during trade quest, after ressing I allowed to recall. Not tried to take another quest.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the report!
My Bugged character was still bugged with the trade quest. I even let him die again. He got permanent quest on him but nothing to turn in. Unless the fix is only for new quests after it was fixed. :)

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Bugged character was still bugged with the trade quest. I even let him die again. He got permanent quest on him but nothing to turn in. Unless the fix is only for new quests after it was fixed. :)
If you're on TC I can take a look at your character.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
never been killed by kyronix lmao was it a good death?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Please reconsider having the moongates work in Trammel too. The current setup is not risk vs. reward--it's tedium versus potential grief. The reward doesn't change enough to matter, and the amount of money going into the city stone increasing for doing a quest the long way (in Trammel) is NOT an incentive for ANYONE, not even the governors. It's easier to keep paying the damn thing ourselves (especially if we are also running events, which the ones who actually care about the system are, and which take up a lot of our time). If other players wouldn't stand at the bank, turn around, and drop money onto the city herald then I can't imagine what would make anyone think they would run across the entire map to get money for a city. It's not gonna happen. It's not realistic, and its not how UO is played these days.

STOP FUNNELING US INTO FEL. If we want to try PvP, we will try PvP. If we don't, then we shouldn't be penalized for it. Either BOTH facets should get the gate, or NEITHER. And frankly if you go with neither I expect this quest will fail within a month. Just like the collector quest--which has the vanishingly tiny potential for a really cool reward (the bust with your character name) but is painfully tedious, it just won't be done very much.

We should also be able to pick the destination city. @Kyronix I spoke with you on test center about using this quest with player events and you thought running a circuit of cities with a group would be fun. Yes, it would--but most people aren't going to take (or have) the time for that. To organize a player event with this quest it would be preferable to choose the destination city so everyone can be on the same page from the beginning and it can be pre-planned by the event organizer(s) if they want to have more things happen along the way--and players don't have to commit to spending half a day running to every city on foot. An event running from Vesper to Trinsic with a couple of stops along the way is a good length. An event running from Minoc to Vesper to Britain to Trinsic to Jhelom to Skara to to Yew then hopping a boat and sailing to Moonglow then NM is a bit much.

You were hinting at this quest as something positive for the governor system before it was introduced. Make it reasonable for us to do so.

How about this: make it so you can use the moongate on both facets, AND make it so that you can pick the destination city but if you do you can't use the moongate for EITHER facet. More options for group questing, a little bit of control, no coercion into a PvP area, and less tedium if you choose not to run/sail across the whole map.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I think the no use of moongates in Trammel are great, I sure hope all have to travel when doing quests on Siege, also the ones tho choose to go to Slim as we only have Felucca

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think the no use of moongates in Trammelare great, I sure hope all have to travel when doing quests on Siege, also the ones tho choose to go to Slim as we only have Felucca
Why do you care about what they do in Trammel if you only play Siege?

Lets see, more sheeps = more wolves
Oh, right. Sheep. Unwilling victims for the slaughter. And that, right there, is what forcing people into Fel/PvP zones boils down to.

Forcing people who don't want to PvP into situations where they get murdered does not make them PvPers.

It makes them quit. There's a reason Trammel was created.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Why do you care about what they do in Trammel if you only play Siege?

Oh, right. Sheep. Unwilling victims for the slaughter. And that, right there, is what forcing people into Fel/PvP zones boils down to.

Forcing people who don't want to PvP into situations where they get murdered does not make them PvPers.

It makes them quit. There's a reason Trammel was created.
You wrong, I did not say, they should be able to attack anyone in Trammel unless in guild wars. Now they can go blue easy and join your guild, would it not be better they was red.
Do you believe because a red player use forged pardons to go blue, that also make him a cure little trammel player?
You are blinded of something.
Not even, can they easy become blue and go to Trammel, it will also make Felucca a crazy place, where you will run from every blue, even a nice peaceful miner as all PK's will be blue.

Now you right, I like more sheep, special on Siege, as it will draw more wolves, but that's what Siege are meant for. Making et easier for the blue PK's on normal shards, may even make Siege a better place as this nasty blue PK's don't have the balls to go red or full time VvsV and on Siege, they can't hide no matter of their color.

Edited, this reply ended up in wrong place, sorry, I'm tired

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You wrong, I did not say, they should be able to attack anyone in Trammel unless in guild wars. Now they can go blue easy and join your guild, would it not be better they was red.
Do you believe because a red player use forged pardons to go blue, that also make him a cure little trammel player?
You are blinded of something.
Not even, can they easy become blue and go to Trammel, it will also make Felucca a crazy place, where you will run from every blue, even a nice peaceful miner as all PK's will be blue.

Now you right, I like more sheep, special on Siege, as it will draw more wolves, but that's what Siege are meant for. Making et easier for the blue PK's on normal shards, may even make Siege a better place as this nasty blue PK's don't have the balls to go red or full time VvsV and on Siege, they can't hide no matter of their color.
I have no idea what you are talking about. I didn't say anything about attacking people in Trammel either.

You said that you liked that people couldn't use the gate in Trammel. I said it doesn't matter to you. It doesn't. You don't play on a shard that has a Trammel, but you commented that you liked that Trammel players can't use the gate, thus making our quest longer and more tedious.

I don't comment on what I think the Siege rules should be because it doesn't affect me. I want to do the quest. I want to do it in Trammel, and I don't want to have to spend all day on it to be able to do it in Trammel.

I wasn't talking about blue PKs or forged pardons or attacking people in Trammel or whatever. I really have no idea where you came up with that. Furthermore, blue PKs exist now, they will exist in the future, and they will probably be more plentiful now that VvV can get rid of all a red character's counts. I am under no illusion that blue=good or even that Trammel is fully safe. (Seriously, you are very hung on this red vs blue thing. I'm not talking about that at all.) But that has nothing to do with what I was saying.

My point is that this quest is awkwardly designed and the main incentive to go to Fel is the sheer boredom of running (or sailing... ugh) all across Britannia over and over if you do it in Tram. That's not risk versus reward. That's bad design. That's a pointless snub at Trammies. In reality it's not going to matter for long because 1. most Fels are dead and 2. people are going to get bored with this quest once the novelty wears off. I did my testing starting in NM for a reason--to see how doing the quest in Tram from an island city would go. It was absurd. It was a waste of time. It was boring. Your choices shouldn't be boredom versus potential grief.

It's the principle of it. A trade quest that benefits Trammel cities and for which there are already different rewards for doing the "evil" way (Slim) in Fel should be just as doable in Tram as in Fel. I'm tired of being nudged toward Fel for no real reason other than to serve as a target for murderers.

The ability to use the moongate should be in both facets or neither. I think it should be both. Let us Trammies do a loyalty-city based trade quest in peace. You got VvV; let us have a moongate already.

The only incentive I see for doing the quest in Tram is that the origin city gets more money. Most people don't care, and the ones who do have been paying it out of pocket so long we're used to it. If we can't get people to turn around at the bank and drop a pile of gold onto the city herald, we certainly aren't going to get anyone to run or sail across the whole map to benefit the cities. The incentive for doing it in Fel isn't greater reward, it's less tedium. That's just silly.

I guess I was just hoping this quest would be more robust and flexible than it is, and that it would be a boon to the governors system as was hinted to us. I'm underwhelmed and a little annoyed.

I was excited about the trade quest when it was announced... then I tested it a bit. You can see my spreadsheeted results earlier in this thread. After trying to run it from NM staying only in Tram... I went and pledged to SotA.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
My mistake, I mixed up 2 reply sorry.
The main reason, I don't like the ones doing Traders quest use gates and magic traveling is, I want people to traveling the land, to many only jump from town to town.
I really love the way it's done, you can choose the safe way in Trammel or the faster way in Felucca

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I just don't think that the benefit of safety in Trammel is equal to the benefit of speed in Felucca. I think the quest is going to be done almost exclusively in Fel because the Trammel side is too tedious, and that the increased risk is negligible (especially in cities with very close moongates like Skara, NM, and Jhelom). You can run three or four quests in Fel in the time it takes you to run one in Tram, and get 3-4x the rewards for only a small amount of extra risk. It's just... dumb.

Here's how I would do it:

1. Full moongate access on both sides.

2. Selectable destination... but...

3. If you select your destination OR use the moongate you only get half the reward you would get otherwise. For BOTH sides. A group should be able to select a destination together (kind of like how a group goes into Exodus together).

4. Killing the monsters should increase player reward as well as city reward. Maybe give the ambushers a chance for a special item as well as the destination turn in points.

5. If a group selects a destination together, increase the monster level commensurate to the group, not just per person. So kind of like treasure maps... a group of 7 or more people could be like a level 7 treasure map and potentially have spawns of cold dragons and ancient wyrms!

6. Higher level ambushers would increase the reward more. (Alternatively, since its not likely that group scaling could be done at this point, killing ANY monster with the ambusher tag, not just your own, should increase reward slightly.)

This would do several things. It would make running the quest overland more worthwhile. It would make caravans from city to city more feasible and enjoyable for all participants.

You would reduce your reward by choosing your destination and/or using the moongate... but you could increase it again by killing the ambushers. Going with a group and killing ancient wyrm ambushers would give a better reward than picking up a quest in NM and hopping the gate to Jhelom, even though you picked the destination with the group but not for the gate hop. Or you could pick Vesper to Minoc and run up the road, kill a couple average ambusher spawns, and get a little less than you would have gotten for a random one.

Running it overland in Fel should give slightly (but not dramatically) higher reward than running it overland in Trammel.

It will keep people going overland more. It will get groups of people running it overland, with consistent incentive to do so.

I realize that scaling ambush spawns to groups might not be possible at this point, but the other parts probably still are. The quest should be more dynamic and flexible than it is. It should be... fun. The way it stands, it will be entertaining for a while then participation will drop off severely. More options will keep people interested longer and make it more group friendly.

There has been a timer added to taking a trade quest--when you drop one or turn one in, you can't take another for a couple minutes. That alone makes getting people to go in a group less likely. People will want to ALL be on the same quest, not run from city to city to city then sail from city to city then run to another city together. It has to be individually rewarding.

Running the quest overland as it stands now just isn't worth it, and funneling players into Fel isn't right for something that was supposed to help the mostly Trammel based city loyalty system. The reward in risk vs reward shouldn't be not being bored. Running that quest overland and especially oversea every time though, is going to be very, very boring.

Last edited: