• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poll for pettition

B

Bruno

Yes is time for new MAGIC
I WANT: fly, walk on water, pass wall, summon THE CREATURE I WANT, so finally I can have an emergency horse, etc....

L

LewsTherin

I agree of course , I sepecially like to idea of a "summon elemental" spell that works like polymorph , it's up to osi then to find 3 more suitable spells in my opinion even an usable offensive spell sounds fair, after all we fizzle a lot on 8th circle.

H

Harlot

Aye , Who have ye ever seen use an 8th circle in combat ? not one of them is in keeping with the spread and variety of the other circles

click the *f* button!

S

sherkborg

Have a strike dead spell. It kills someone instantly but they only get sent to LB castle. Dead. but when they get rezzed they have their stuff back. Or a dup spell. Where their becomes 4 of you and they are all invunirable but your not.

S

Stratsta

I agree 8th circle is weak. I have a few interesting ideas if your willing to hear them.

Blade Storm: It would summon a whirling vortex of blades around the caster and last a specific time based on your magery skill. Attackers or victims next to the caster would recieve damage equal to a blade spirit. Effectivly turning the caster into a blade spirit for a time.

Incect Plauge: Would surrond the victim in a maelstrom of biting stining venemous insects. Would poison victim and do persistant melee damage equal to a blade spirit or some new formula.

Thunderclap: Would stun(paralize), deliver a concussion blow to target and damage them in some manner(unresistable lightening perhaps)

Ice Bolt: Would freeze(paralize) and do damage equal to a flamestrike. Would be very deadly as a combo.

Force Field: Would act as both a magic reflect and a beafed up reflective armour. Greater Melee damage would be reflected and spells uninterruptable. Might have a time limit on this spell due to it's unbalancing nature.

My 2 cents

Sapon, GL

G

I agree. 8th lvl really needs work, bad

<font color=green>courage is not the absence of fear, but action in the face of it!</font color=green>

N

N'ven

I BLOODY AGREE! lvl 8 spells suck. if they dont make the ele's into a polymorph style selection then they need to stay untill dead or released. it sucks to summon and walk a few feet and the thing vanishes. gees they are a waste of mana and regs.

B

bean

I agree!
for the 3 new spells (if OSI actually does something about this)

1)We have a spell that emulates hiding Why not one that would let us escape throught stealth?
2)we need something to counteract lumberjacks, and dexers. How about a spell that halved their rate of attack? Maybe a spell that caused them to miss a lot more?
3)Third we should have an offense spell which might emulate provokation (that way we could be sure who our Evs and Bses attack)

That is just my personal opinion, any comments are wellcome as long as they are not in flame form.

T

The Seer

Elementals are a waste of time they are so underpowered compared to the level required to summon them, and taking up 4/8 eigth level slots /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/bfrown.gif

Give us alternatives please

--------------------------------
Please Note :-
My screenname is just a name, I am not connected to OSI in any way - (Except paying them every month to take every spare minute I have)

T

Thomas Drake

LoL, that was one hell of a bump, this thread was started 10/13/00. Hehe, last post on it was over a month ago, anyway, my vote is yes. :p
~Thomas Drake

So what is the problem with mass curse again?
OooOOooOooo

E

Exedur

*nearly slips into a coma after skimming through 300+ posts*

wait, what were we talking about again?

oh yeah, i agree, eight circle spells, save a couple, are a bust;

as for a solution, i could go either way. we could group all the summon spells into one spell(i.e. polymorph) or we could just do away with them altogether. i rarely, hell, never, use summon spells anyway. in any case, im totally for new 8th circle spells.

K

Khahn

Well i for one am fed up of the crappyness of the 8th circle. This is definaterly a great idea......i think we should jvae definaterly the summon elemental spell in the format of a polymorph and also some more offensive spells........8th circle chas none!.........youve got all the lvl 7 spells like flamestrike and chain lightning but 8th cirlce has nothing.....we ned some spells whiyhc do severe damage to reward all us mages who have the ability to do 8th cirlce

T

TeaR

I Agree.

In the end victory is achieved through, suffering perils, and knowing your enemy! Ya gotta have heart!!

L

Linkin Mark

How about a "Summon Wandering Healer" hehe. I definitly agree that the 8th level needs to be fixed.

S

Savage Of Oce

Yes, left us get some new spells!
maybe even add some spells to the secret page Bad Spells!

R

RingWraith42

Hiya all!!!

Woo-hoo finally a post were no one is calling each other name's or twinks!! :). Heck ya I agree!!!
I was thinking a really really cool spell i don't know why I like the thought of this but a mass summon spell, i mean being able to summon and undead army (well not that big of an army) like 2 skeleknights and 2 bone magi would be really kick butt!!, i mean i can just imagine running down the road as a pk wizard and walking into a group of 3 or 4 jackers or swordsman, looking to clam a bounty. And instead of getting ganked u summon some friends to help u!! it would rock, or any time u get attacked even blue it would kick butt!!.
Sorry got alittle excited there :)

So heck ya i'm all for new spells whatever they may be :)

RingWraith42

*bows to the lore and works of Tolkien*

M

Merek1234

I agree you stupid @$$ noob! you! there were insulting each other now

*Merek1234 begins to spam uncontrollably*

K

Kalidor Mundane

I agree... Perhaps different schools of magic.This way we can see different kinds of mages.Warriors wont know which there up against(nor anyone else for that matter).It gives variety to many things... I love what they did with Necromancy..had to throw that in too.:)

Sincerely,

Kalidor Mundane, Paladin
Nazareth, Sage
Drake Fairborn, Bardic Mage
William Klinger, Fisherman/Warrior
Kalana Fairborn, Tailor/Axe Woman

H

Hase

Agreed

Greetings and well met

Hase, Master Treasure-Hunter of Europa

G

girionis7

Just saw this post and I have to admit... it is one of the best I have read so far... Sorry I am bringing it back afetr more than a year but I joined UO about 3 months ago and I have noticed that the 8 level spells are still the same.

I totally agree that most of the 8 level ones have to change. I hardly ever use EV (only with Ogre lords) and the only one I really use is Ressurection. Group Summon Elementals under one spell, and add a few more (we can have a vote about the spells we want... I saw several very good suggestions in previous posts like Levitate and Phantasm Image).

Come on fellow mages lets show OSI that we are still here and we still want better and more usefull 8 level spells.

Besides if a warrior can do up to 75 hp damage with one strike why can we not? Lets gather all the replies together and send an official pettition to OSI.

I cast my vote.

M

Maguire

I agree that we need more offensive spells at level 8, summoning should go out all together imo. A slow spell could be useful, maybe as a result of an ice attack /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif. Another one is that spell the meer eternals use that drains life and of course the meer mage insect swarm.

MORE SPELLS FOR MAGES (damn runic weapons)

<center>Maguire, the Macabre Vicar
Europa

F

FangLeKai

yup sounds good to me. i mean c'mon, let's think of this logically. a mage gets more powerful as his skill increases. he needs a high level of skill to cast 8th circle spells, so 8th circle should be more powerful. group the dumb summons under one category. honestly, i've never used them. i think there should be a L8 offensive spell like ebolt or fs. MORE NEW SPELLS. or how about this, add in a whole new section of circle 9 spells....

C

Connull

I agree. If I ever use any other 8th level than rez, I'll amaze myself...

No more offense is needed, IMO, but I really like the mass heal idea. Other wise, I'm just a healer that carrys no bandages in a guild hunt/battle.

M

Mad7

Completely agree. Mages are nerfed into many ways anyway. (What is up with this; if you put enough band-aids on someone, he'll live? What is up with hiding being more usefull then invis?) As for suggestions; any ADnD playerguide will do for starters;
- blink
- minor globe
- major globe
- disintegrate
- 50 or so others
Whatever happened to mages being able to craft magic items?

R

Rejean

I like the idea of grouping the summon elemental spells into one. Summon Demon doesn't really seem to fit with that group though so I'd say keep that seperate. Adding some spells that let us beef up our summoned creatures would be nice. Just an idea.

G

girionis7

<blockquote><hr>

Whatever happened to mages being able to craft magic items?

<hr></blockquote>

You have hit the nail on the head mate ]:)

I

imported_jamison

I find those spells rather usefull. Nie sparring partner for new players and no karma loss. Get rid of magic arrow!

K

Kal In Ex

I'm for a haste and slow spell or an invisiport spell that combines teleport and invis. My ideas rock.

C

Col Grimshaw

Agreed: Group the Summoning Spells.

Not Agreed: All 8th Circle Spells Suck.

I realise that there are a lot of mages out there who have not fully worked out how to use the mage under all conditions. I for one cannot use a mage in PvP, if someone had a pet rabbit in PvP it would kill me BUT PvM with a mage, there is 1 very VERY handy 8th Circle spell that when used properly is extremely powerful.

When you get down to it, there are a LOT of spells that just aren't used. There are some that are really only used by the lurer's of the community, some that are only used by the PvPers of society and some that only the PvMers of society would use.

As for some of the summoning spells....I only use the earth elemental and thats just to try and help my Pets gain some Magery, as for the rest....well imho they just make my spell book look cluttered.

I think its a great idea to get some new spells in and reorganise some that we currently have but if you PvM there is one spell in that book that has a huge amount of power, you just have to work out how to control it.