• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] one of a kind robe

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lineman, I like the EM program and would like to see it stick around. I don't care who puts out what. As long as the items follow the proper channels, its all good IMO.
EM program? hell ya. This isnt a bash against them in any means Where else can ya get a loyal following on a shard for 20 bucks a month or so. But when ya look at the overall picture ya gotta ask ya self, is the robe really a big deal?. Imo it isn't. but you know what they say about opinions.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM program? hell ya. This isnt a bash against them in any means Where else can ya get a loyal following on a shard for 20 bucks a month or so. But when ya look at the overall picture ya gotta ask ya self, is the robe really a big deal?. Imo it isn't. but you know what they say about opinions.
yeah well, if something stupid happens down the line as a result of stuff like this...don't mind me if i lay it on thick with the *i told you so*.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was even a monster that was tamed in recent history that was not supposed to be and when Mesanna deleted it she gave the tamer a unique statue replica of it. So I mean really? this much bs over yet another named em named item when Mesanna herself is putting much much much more desirable items out there herself. Please. Yet another reason why this game just does not appeal to me anymore.
Its a different situation. There has been alot of items in the past that the Dev/EM have either forgotten to lock down or accidentally dropped. For example , when they were doing the brit banks, one shard had a marble bench accidentally not locked down. The pets were pretty much the same type of scenario, obtained legally. Now because the pets were very OP obviously, they were not going to be able to have them for long. They contacted Mesanna themselves to turn them in, and because they took that initiative Mesanna gave them a statue to replace them (there is 2, since I have 1).

Now the robe, is an EM creating it for (no reason) and giving it out to (1) player.

NewGuyATL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Idk about no reason, the two signed by robes he gave out (the other is linked in thread)

I think he had items already premade to give to someone who did something he found they deserved it for.

jrok512

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just saw a new EM on Napa Valley last night, haven't seen Pyewacket for a while now. Not sure if it means anything.

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah well, if something stupid happens down the line as a result of stuff like this...don't mind me if i lay it on thick with the *i told you so*.
Nahh the em program is a saving grace for this game, one em named robe isnt gonna change that

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are all such babies, crying over a robe because some EM placed a name on it. Yet in all reality the real reason is most of you don't have one and deleting it is a way of clearing the field.

Sadly this seems to be a typical Napa thing and a game wide issue. I added the EM's to my gate PvP house on that shard and the EM's sat on my chairs on the deck. Next thing you know people were paging claiming my guild was getting the royal treatment when all I did was give a person a place to sit which has lead to the EM's not being able to talk to people in private anymore in case they do what? Add a name to a item, come on....

Way to make this guys life rough for trying to breath some fresh air into your collective stale lives.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are all such babies, crying over a robe because some EM placed a name on it. Yet in all reality the real reason is most of you don't have one and deleting it is a way of clearing the field.

Sadly this seems to be a typical Napa thing and a game wide issue. I added the EM's to my gate PvP house on that shard and the EM's sat on my chairs on the deck. Next thing you know people were paging claiming my guild was getting the royal treatment when all I did was give a person a place to sit which has lead to the EM's not being able to talk to people in private anymore in case they do what? Add a name to a item, come on....

Way to make this guys life rough for trying to breath some fresh air into your collective stale lives.
lol?

It has to do with one thing:

An EM making an item outside of normal protocol. Im sorry for people who dont have the knowledge that some of us do, but things got REALLY bad with the old EM program. High powered items, corruption, EM/GM abuse of powers ect ect.

The EM program had a very real chance of NOT being brought back FYI (Of course due to multiple things). Luckily for us it made a great return, But a strict rule enforced upon its return is that all items made need to be approved by Mesanna. Noone is saying this robe is OP, or is game breaking...But its a BAD habit that needs to be nipped in the bud.

EM's get compensated for their services...so they have to follow the rules of the workplace. If I was in a call center for example, I may only hang up on ONE person, but if the boss listens to that call its addressed. I don't get fired for the first offense, but I'm warned, retrained if necessary ect.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Just saw a new EM on Napa Valley last night, haven't seen Pyewacket for a while now. Not sure if it means anything.
Thomas Pyewacket was introduced to Atlantic as the newest EM for the shard on Friday. That is when the robe in this thread was given. Maybe why he ain't been around on Napa for a lil while :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If I was in a call center for example, I may only hang up on ONE person, but if the boss listens to that call its addressed. I don't get fired for the first offense, but I'm warned, retrained if necessary ect.

I get what you are saying here, but honestly it depends on the call center ;) Have worked for one where we fired on ANY hang ups.

Still a valid point tho.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I get what you are saying here, but honestly it depends on the call center ;) Have worked for one where we fired on ANY hang ups.
Me too actually lol Just trying to be a bit more lax in my example heh

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol?

It has to do with one thing:

An EM making an item outside of normal protocol. Im sorry for people who dont have the knowledge that some of us do, but things got REALLY bad with the old EM program. High powered items, corruption, EM/GM abuse of powers ect ect.

The EM program had a very real chance of NOT being brought back FYI (Of course due to multiple things). Luckily for us it made a great return, But a strict rule enforced upon its return is that all items made need to be approved by Mesanna. Noone is saying this robe is OP, or is game breaking...But its a BAD habit that needs to be nipped in the bud.

EM's get compensated for their services...so they have to follow the rules of the workplace. If I was in a call center for example, I may only hang up on ONE person, but if the boss listens to that call its addressed. I don't get fired for the first offense, but I'm warned, retrained if necessary ect.
Those events that you talk about happened along time ago when the options for the EM's/Seer/GM types were much broader then what is able to be given out now, a robe does not qualify even close to what happened back then.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Those events that you talk about happened along time ago when the options for the EM's/Seer/GM types were much broader then what is able to be given out now, a robe does not qualify even close to what happened back then.
It...does...not ... matter.

EM's are compensated for the work they do. The job has requirements and rules. One of the strictest rules is not making items besides what is approved by Mesanna. It doesn't matter if its a crappy robe, its a rule. The guy isnt getting fired, but again it needs to be addressed.

Neutron Bomb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You must have missed my post, and the OP's post as well. These items may not enable GOD-mode to a player, but they do increase wealth to a player. I am all for EM's printing out dollar bills as they constantly do, but this was done without approval or an event taking place. This also has to do with what Prom is saying; Rule breaking.

Honestly, I don't mind that someone got a one of a kind robe and I didn't. I am peeved that some of you think this isn't out of the ordinary, and think we're crazy for even noticing.

Rogue EM's make for a good story though. The search function has been screwy with me lately, does someone care to direct any of us to the threads that talk about past rogue EM's? Or care to give details? It's been a long time since I have read about it.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Rogue EM's make for a good story though. The search function has been screwy with me lately, does someone care to direct any of us to the threads that talk about past rogue EM's? Or care to give details? It's been a long time since I have read about it.
God I wish I could post alot of stuff that I knew. Old Corrupt EM's/GM's, "trusted" big name collectors who knowingly fed items to dupers ect ect.

Sadly, I dont think its allowed to name names on the boards.

I WILL provide an easy example, which I dont think will be bad to post. Years ago, Asian Shard -> Runics/PoF's made with thousands of charges. I dont know much of the outcome over there, but I think its evident enough with the Asian shards eventually switching to the EM program for better supervision. They always DID have the best/ most unique items tho...Glacial Horse anyone? Shame the guy got it killed =|

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
personally, I've never seen the problem with the EMs creating trinkets... special names, unique hues, whatever, just nothing with properties... with items trading in the hundreds of millions of gp, really.... just flood the market and let everyone have a special goodie, let someone who never even gave collecting items a thought look at what he got and say "holy cow! how cool is that!?"

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If some person is wanting to part with millions of near worthless gold for some robe let them. Without a property this is like every other EM item and only has value which these "collectors" place upon it.

NewGuyATL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Rares have always been and will always be worth what someone will pay.

This is the only "Deathrobe signed by em thomas blah blah"
Item has not been deleted, none have been given out since, and a lot of people are assuming mesanna didn't clear the item.. who knows if she did or didnt? she didnt ask what the item was.. she just wanted to know the history of how it was obtained, so who knows *shrug

Still looking for appraisals and offers
t/o = 150m

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If some person is wanting to part with millions of near worthless gold for some robe let them. Without a property this is like every other EM item and only has value which these "collectors" place upon it.
If you don't like what we talk about or how we like to play the game, why are you posting? Nuff said.

*again points to the door*

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Item has not been deleted, none have been given out since, and a lot of people are assuming mesanna didn't clear the item.. who knows if she did or didnt? she didnt ask what the item was.. she just wanted to know the history of how it was obtained, so who knows *shrug
She wouldn't ask of its history if she already knew of its existence after clearing said item.

Anyway, no point in making excuses on it or trying to make it appear more *legit*. If you want to sell, feel free. Just most of us don't agree with the way it was produced or handed out, hence the discussion.

Good luck.

NewGuyATL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
She wouldn't ask of its history if she already knew of its existence after clearing said item.

Anyway, no point in making excuses on it or trying to make it appear more *legit*. If you want to sell, feel free. Just most of us don't agree with the way it was produced or handed out, hence the discussion.

Good luck.
Good point. Thanks.

I'll just make a seperate thread for offers. And we can keep this thread for discussion.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Still looking for appraisals and offers
t/o = 150m
I've been reading this thread and just pokin my head in here for a sec.

It seems to me that everyone is up in arms about it because they thought it was a deathrobe...in the (Selling) thread it's been confirmed that it's not, it's just a regular robe labeled *Deathrobe*

While the sellers discription is misleading and the title of the thread should be changed to clarify, I don't see any problems with this item. It's a plain robe, no properties, EM item...doesn't give the owner any unfair advantages, it's just very cool.

NewGuyATL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
How is the selling title misleading.. it doesnt say its A deathrobe.. just says selling deathrobe signed by blah blah, which is the items name.

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Out of curiosity, how do you know it is unique? I was at the event till the end and I remember a lot of folks asking about that type of robe but I do not remember any item numbers being given.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
How is the selling title misleading.. it doesnt say its A deathrobe.. just says selling deathrobe signed by blah blah, which is the items name.
At first glance I would assume that you were selling an actual deathrobe, which is not the case.

For fairly new rares collectors or people that aren't aware, it could cause issues.

Which is why I suggested that you change the title to be a bit more specific.

Selling Plain Robe labeled *Deathrobe signed by..*

Just a suggestion, as I thought it was an actual deathrobe too, my necro wears a deathrobe just because I never lose it and I don't have to insure it, to have that kind of an item with an EM name on it would be awesome and I'd pay through the teeth for it...

So to prevent people bidding a rediculously high amount for a regular EM named robe seems smart to me, but that's just my opinion :)

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well...The EM has been dismissed most likely due to this.

RIP EM Thomas, we knew ye for one night on Atlantic

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Will he now have to contend with Mesanna's wrath?
Would seem so :sad4:

Seemed like a decent enough guy tho.

*sulks off to move EM sash to no longer with Atlantic place in the floor*

*grumbles*
Getting to be a big stack over there :wall:

NewGuyATL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sheesh lots of assumptions in here!
who knows if hes gone!?

And I trust manticores opinion for sure.. but he's provided absolutely no proof that its not 1 of 1..

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Out of curiosity, how do you know it is unique? I was at the event till the end and I remember a lot of folks asking about that type of robe but I do not remember any item numbers being given.
Athelas is right. I got there 2 hours AFTER the Meet and Greet Ended, note i said Ended. And even 2 hours after it, he was still giving out stuff with his name on it, it was only a crafted item with his name in the crafter spot (not a named robe like this one on thread). But who is to say he hasnt given more like this one over the 2 hours? I trust Manticore and he says its not a 1 of 1 and i dont think it is either. My offer still stands on the other thread. But if its being deleted i take my offer out.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Athelas is right. I got there 2 hours AFTER the Meet and Greet Ended,
But who is to say he hasnt given more like this one over the 2 hours? I trust Manticore and he says its not a 1 of 1 and i dont think it is either.
It's only because you were running late that I stick my nose in on this one, when he was introduced Thomas did say he just came over from being an EM on Napa. Best I can tell he started as EM there in June of this year. http://vboards.stratics.com/napa-valley-em-forum/245117-new-kid-block.html You judge from there :)

NewGuyATL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Mostly all he did was craft items with cloth people gave.. from what I saw/heard only myself and one (possibly 2 i couldnt tell) other person got a specially made item from him.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sheesh lots of assumptions in here!
who knows if hes gone!?

And I trust manticores opinion for sure.. but he's provided absolutely no proof that its not 1 of 1..
I would if I could but it doesn't mean I don't have it :)

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mostly all he did was craft items with cloth people gave.. from what I saw/heard only myself and one (possibly 2 i couldnt tell) other person got a specially made item from him.
I don't trust post after post of what ifs, half truths, and excuses. I think I will just bite my tongue and leave it at that.

NewGuyATL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Pretty sure speculation and what if's is all anyone has.. no one can provide proof to anything heh.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) mesanna posted. <---if she asks you for history, she doesn't know it herself.
2) the items were unsanctioned <---all items go through a QA process, yours did not
3) the items were not one of a kind <--- as per posts here and commentary by manti
4) the em is no longer on atlantic <---see above

what if's and speculation are in your department, not ours.

NewGuyATL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I never said mesanna knew the history.. that the item went through the process, and it sucks that hes not longer on ATL tbh.

As for the 1 of 1 thing, there is definitlely not more than 1-2 more out there.. if that, and once I see proof that another exists I shall believe.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LoL @ this thread

ITS GETTIN DEEP RC, get your slickers!!

EricVT

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I'm a bit dense, but where is the proof that more of these exist? A legit screenshot with another player wearing one or even in someone's else's bag would suffice.

Considering who the burden of proof lies with, it's a reasonable request and easy to satisfy.

M

MySavannahRanger

Maybe i am dence aswell. I would asume that any players that may have aquired such a robe had the sence to hide it , rather than put it up for bid the first chance. You can also judge by my start date and the amount of post i make, but everyone that plays UO may not be computer savy or even use stratics. I believe the burden of proof would be on the seller that this is one of a kind. From what i have read there is more than reasonable doubt that there may have been more created. EM transfered from another shard, who knows what was given there. If the EM felt they had the power to perform such an act here, why would they have not already performed the same act on a shard that they were known.
As i stated i am not computer savey, however i am game savy. If, and only if, i had a similar robe, you wont see it for a few years.

KingHen

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well this was good reading for my coffee this morning! lol
I have a few EM items as well, granted I have neither bought or sold them. I am not saying I wouldn't, just never cared too. Figured my crafter could wear them as they don't do a lot of fighting anyway. What I don't understand is why anyone would jump right in the bee hive and start kicking things around.

Future EM's would do well to lurk these forums for a month, they could get a real education on what bending or breaking the rules would get them.

:gee:

EricVT

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe the burden of proof would be on the seller that this is one of a kind.
It doesn't work like that. Short of the EM (former EM?) coming in here and stating whether or not he made more than one of these, there is no way for a person to prove that something is unique.

Proving something isn't unique is very easy.