• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

now let us solve inflation

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have found the solution to my constant sorrow. i thought that my drinking days were over because i no longer have a digestive system. but all this time, all that i had to do was fill up a barrel with vodka and sit in it until the alcohol soaked into my bones.

and now for the next problem. there is too much gold in the realm! we are plagued by gold. how do we get rid of it? do you have any good ideas? i don't, but i have some bad ones.

1) let players purchase permanent gilded statues of their characters in a central part of town for one hundred million gold pieces. does this mean the more populated shards will end up with towns completely full of gilded player statues? yes, and it will be hilarious

2) some kind of draconic supervillain that can only be appeased by being fed massive amounts of gold. there is a 0.05% chance of them dropping an amazing new rare: a blaze-hued solid gold turd. so the average player has to feed millions into the monster in order to get a turd

3) give all the gold to me

4) introduce solid gold walls and flooring to player housing that cost one million gold pieces per tile. if they have a glitter animation, rich people will build their whole houses out of them. i promise they will do it. they're absolute madmen

5) hell if i know

although this thread is for suggestions on how to use up our realm's monstrous excess of gold, i am also willing to entertain any ultra-rich sugar daddies looking for a nice long-term highly educated undead partner who can use up their monstrous excess of gold in a creative and socially responsible way.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should just accidentally wipe plats without telling anyone. Oppsy.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused but we can not determine how to return them so you will have to begin again.

Then they don't need NL.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused but we can not determine how to return them so you will have to begin again.

Then they don't need NL.
They wouldn't need UO after that, all RMT/Gold seller accounts closed, EA to UO we can no longer afford to keep UO running have a nice day, UO will be closing in 30 days.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even if you got ride of all gold in game it won't change much. People will just go back to trading items for items

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Create a free trade system not the closed loop they have now with the limited shard transfers. People would play on their home shard which would balance the housing market out, reducing demand on ATL thus increasing demand on less populated shards. If everyone could move about freely there would be better supply of goods to the less populated shards and also demand would be decreased on atl. The goods would also stay on home shards and this would also increase supply and balance inflation. People would be incentivised to stay on their home shard as the economy would be stimulated by this influx of new supply and increased demand.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Create a free trade system not the closed loop they have now with the limited shard transfers. People would play on their home shard which would balance the housing market out, reducing demand on ATL thus increasing demand on less populated shards. If everyone could move about freely there would be better supply of goods to the less populated shards and also demand would be decreased on atl. The goods would also stay on home shards and this would also increase supply and balance inflation. People would be incentivised to stay on their home shard as the economy would be stimulated by this influx of new supply and increased demand.
This relies on the fantasy that all items are on all shards at the same rate. The dead shards are dead because no one is on them to get resources. There are scores of pages of lore dropped every day on Atlantic. How many on Baja or Napa? Some days prob 0. Same with powerscrolls etc.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you are saying make Transfer Tokens not needed and all the Shard Shields worthless, uummmm No Thank You. Because of the Shard Shields I think you will find that people are leaving Atl more so they can have bigger houses and still go to Atl when they want. Only houses selling for mega gold on Atl is Keeps and Castles. I saw an 18x18 for sell in Gen Chat with zero intrest at 150M gold, go figure. There are open spots in Atl for small to med houses.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This relies on the fantasy that all items are on all shards at the same rate. The dead shards are dead because no one is on them to get resources. There are scores of pages of lore dropped every day on Atlantic. How many on Baja or Napa? Some days prob 0. Same with powerscrolls etc.
That can be said about all shards other than Atl as we trade that stuff with our fellow shard players or sell to them one on one or even just give some players free stuff.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Without wiping all player assets, removing plat/gold would be pointless since people would switch to another stackable (or EM rares) as a high-end currency. The gold spigot would also have to be drastically lessened, or we'll be right back to where we are now within a few years (and swimming in goldbots in the meantime).

However, wiping player assets would kill UO, as people with 10-to-20-year collections of pixelstuffs would feel betrayed and then bail. Subs would plummet.

Their best bet to combat crazy wealth is to:
1) Institute a good number of cosmetic gold sinks that have no impact on combat.

2) Cut the inflow of gold by half, starting with the higher-end mobs. Remove gold explosions at champ spawns/Roof entirely.
-Also remove gold from super low-end monsters: rats, slimes, mongbats, etc. (To support Newbs, create mobs that only characters with skills under 500 can attack)

3) Incorporate gold directly into crafting a la the gold dust though at a significantly higher coin to dust ratio. Gilt items, walls, floor, fixtures, etc. (either new art or dyed with one of the tacky gold hues)

4) Remove gold as a physical resource entirely. Gold from mobs, chests, etc. would be a number attached to the gump that you click on to acquire. (The argument that gold weight is a limiting factor hasn't been true since the Ambitious Solen Queen appeared.) This would also remove more opportunities for gold to be duped directly.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Only houses selling for mega gold on Atl is Keeps and Castles. I saw an 18x18 for sell in Gen Chat with zero intrest at 150M gold, go figure.
I had someone just tell me they wanted 900m for an 18x18 on Atl and I was like no thanks lol.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i have found the solution to my constant sorrow. i thought that my drinking days were over because i no longer have a digestive system. but all this time, all that i had to do was fill up a barrel with vodka and sit in it until the alcohol soaked into my bones.

and now for the next problem. there is too much gold in the realm! we are plagued by gold. how do we get rid of it? do you have any good ideas? i don't, but i have some bad ones.

1) let players purchase permanent gilded statues of their characters in a central part of town for one hundred million gold pieces. does this mean the more populated shards will end up with towns completely full of gilded player statues? yes, and it will be hilarious

2) some kind of draconic supervillain that can only be appeased by being fed massive amounts of gold. there is a 0.05% chance of them dropping an amazing new rare: a blaze-hued solid gold turd. so the average player has to feed millions into the monster in order to get a turd

3) give all the gold to me

4) introduce solid gold walls and flooring to player housing that cost one million gold pieces per tile. if they have a glitter animation, rich people will build their whole houses out of them. i promise they will do it. they're absolute madmen

5) hell if i know

although this thread is for suggestions on how to use up our realm's monstrous excess of gold, i am also willing to entertain any ultra-rich sugar daddies looking for a nice long-term highly educated undead partner who can use up their monstrous excess of gold in a creative and socially responsible way.
TLDR, :). Great idea though, I am now stewing in a barrel of vodka.:shots:

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. If everyone gives me their gold, I promise to hoard it and only spend it on myself. The barrel of Vodka is a fantastic idea, and a lot more relaxing than having to drink it constantly.

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Lord British unified the disparate lands under his rule. Britannia became the kingdom; Britain the capitol city and stronghold. Notice there is nothing named for Wolfgang or Shamino or any of the kings of old hanging about.

Blackthorn should observe historical precedence and build a new capitol to his rule. And thus would need to raise tax revenues.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The economy of UO is not an economy, it is a game mechanic. As such it doesn't need to work as an economy, it only needs to work as a game mechanic. All of the things that plague RL economies (ranging from inflation, to excessive concentration of wealth, to the use of a means of exchange to purchase non-economic goods like power, to unemployment, and so forth), do not matter. All that matters is if there is still a means for players and their characters to obtain what's needed to be effective.

And I submit that we can. New or returning players or new characters can, given time and overcoming the steep learning curve, gold and item farm and build.

And to the degree to which we can't, it's not an issue of the in-game economy, it's an issue of how stuff spawns and under what circumstances. Which is different.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just make a I win button and the economy is fixed. Want a castle prime spot I win button for the win. want a cameo set I win button for the win. think you get my point,

So far we have Zoo, clean up turn in for gold thats a fail. City titles that was a fail.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pardon my ignorance but how is the gold even created in the game?
Are people picking up the gold from monsters and carrying to their bank?
When champ spawns are killed there is around 250k that decays on the ground because it’s not worth the time to collect.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A majority of the wealth in UO, as we all know, is on the Atlantic shard. Smaller shards, while there may be a few, do not have large amounts of Platinumaires...there isn't enough time in the day/week/month/year for someone to farm that much gold themselves, I don't care what method you use. Shard transfers to Atlantic to shop have created the massive wealth that exists there. UO gold also doesn't earn interest, yet it would appear that there are more and more plats coming into game all of the time, which can only be possible by duping. Think about it, some will argue champ spawns created most of this wealth..with 200k per dropping on the ground you would have to complete 5000 champ spawns by yourself to accumulate 1 platinum of gold. Now think of the number of power scrolls that would be generated by doing 5000 champ spawns for that single platinum, now multiply number by 100 , which I"m sure there are many Atl vendor owners with that much money. Where are all of those power scrolls, because to make 100 platinum using that method, you would need to kill...yes...500,000 champs.. generating somewhere around 3-4 million power scrolls...where are all of these items ? And that's if only one UO player has 100 platinum. Multiply that again times the number of players you think might have that much gold.... exactly.

Last edited:

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Much of the gold has been accumulated by players over 23 years, and then much of it was duped when bank checks were a thing.
I am sure some of it is duoed now by odd transfers where toons end up on both servers.

There are gonna be the rich, and the poor. Deal with and be hapoy to be in the middle.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO has inflation of wealth but not always of prices. This does mean that it has different problems than real world inflation.

The problem isn't inflation of rares since their value comes more from scarcity than inflation. The problem is the lack of inflation on necessary staples like recall scrolls or potions. I sell scrolls on a vendor and can't keep them stocked at reasonable prices. I fall behind because the margin is far far lower than most other things I sell.

While one can opt out of UO's economy if one wants to, I think issues with buying staples on most shards does drastically hurt. Devaluing gold won't fix this. I think there are systems that could fix this, but with NL, we won't see them anytime soon.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the problem is not items in game, its gold. just think how much a normal person can make farming gold per day. people would be amazed how much a person can make just farming gold with just one account running . now with the endless cheating accounts that can run endlessly and multi. its really sad how long its been going on. i think the biggest gold sink is probably idocs now.
until they fix this, nothing they can do will fix it. if someone thinks letting people buy rares items as a gold sink would help, they would be dead wrong. the gold farming would greatly expand. the one thing that stopped alot of the farming was the 14 day free trial accounts, now we have endless cheating accounts.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
the problem is not items in game, its gold. just think how much a normal person can make farming gold per day. people would be amazed how much a person can make just farming gold with just one account running . now with the endless cheating accounts that can run endlessly and multi. its really sad how long its been going on. i think the biggest gold sink is probably idocs now.
until they fix this, nothing they can do will fix it. if someone thinks letting people buy rares items as a gold sink would help, they would be dead wrong. the gold farming would greatly expand. the one thing that stopped alot of the farming was the 14 day free trial accounts, now we have endless cheating accounts.
I'd like to know what this secret is.... because on a shard I don't normally play I have a 1/2 made tamer... she's at 90's taming and such... I have a unicorn... no where near trained.. it's bonded... that's about it... I tried to make some gold to buy a simple boat... it costs about 12K.... 2 hours of farming I made 6k... in two hours.... Now I didn't invest in bandages... I didn't invest in much of an LRC suit... it functions... but it only has 101LRC which should work fine but no every third time I'd cast G.Heal it would tell me I don't have enough reagents... so I didn't really want to exert too much effort or be somewhere that would cause my unicorn to die after all I didn't have bandages to rez the poor creature... so no... after 2 hours of hard work I didn't even have enough gold to buy a simple ship. So I am not getting where you get this at... Where exactly are you farming gold because it might be simple in your all 70's good suit with 3/6 casting or whatever with a sampire maybe where you don't die ever 2 min... where you don't have to worry about being killed... and losing what you worked for... but far as I can tell a new character with only minimal skill and such isn't going to be making money hand over fist anytime soon on any shard. Oh and the final barrier to getting anything on that shard... I don't speak the language... so can't just ask for help. I did try... using a translator but then realized I can't copy and paste their response into a translator so that doesn't do me a bit of good... I don't know what they are saying. Even if they did respond and want to help I wouldn't know. Was 100% on my own... now I could send myself the crap by using a shard shield.. but the idea was to just get what I needed on my own. And no... not going to get a boat anytime soon. So I think you are thinking it's easy for you .... but then you know all the ins and outs of the game and obviously know more than the average player... because I got no clue how you make tons of money in no time. I can't and I've been playing 20+ years. No one coming into this game without getting some serious help and knowledge is going to be making money at all... Especially when they start there in Haven... and don't even know they have a bank box to store things in.... trust me.

In 8 hours of farming at the rate I was going would have had enough for a boat in 4 or 5 hours... but 24K in 8 hours isn't going to get me ****.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
fight the things that give 1500 to 2k per kill. i didnt want to go into all the other thing people use the endless cheating account for, using multi chars. would be too long of a post lol
remember they are using many accounts. its not just gold farming

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd like to know what this secret is.... because on a shard I don't normally play I have a 1/2 made tamer... she's at 90's taming and such... I have a unicorn... no where near trained.. it's bonded... that's about it... I tried to make some gold to buy a simple boat... it costs about 12K.... 2 hours of farming I made 6k... in two hours.... Now I didn't invest in bandages... I didn't invest in much of an LRC suit... it functions... but it only has 101LRC which should work fine but no every third time I'd cast G.Heal it would tell me I don't have enough reagents... so I didn't really want to exert too much effort or be somewhere that would cause my unicorn to die after all I didn't have bandages to rez the poor creature... so no... after 2 hours of hard work I didn't even have enough gold to buy a simple ship. So I am not getting where you get this at... Where exactly are you farming gold because it might be simple in your all 70's good suit with 3/6 casting or whatever with a sampire maybe where you don't die ever 2 min... where you don't have to worry about being killed... and losing what you worked for... but far as I can tell a new character with only minimal skill and such isn't going to be making money hand over fist anytime soon on any shard. Oh and the final barrier to getting anything on that shard... I don't speak the language... so can't just ask for help. I did try... using a translator but then realized I can't copy and paste their response into a translator so that doesn't do me a bit of good... I don't know what they are saying. Even if they did respond and want to help I wouldn't know. Was 100% on my own... now I could send myself the crap by using a shard shield.. but the idea was to just get what I needed on my own. And no... not going to get a boat anytime soon. So I think you are thinking it's easy for you .... but then you know all the ins and outs of the game and obviously know more than the average player... because I got no clue how you make tons of money in no time. I can't and I've been playing 20+ years. No one coming into this game without getting some serious help and knowledge is going to be making money at all... Especially when they start there in Haven... and don't even know they have a bank box to store things in.... trust me.

In 8 hours of farming at the rate I was going would have had enough for a boat in 4 or 5 hours... but 24K in 8 hours isn't going to get me ****.
Hiyrus...and lessers low risk 1k+ a shot

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"and now for the next problem. there is too much gold in the realm! we are plagued by gold. how do we get rid of it? do you have any good ideas? i don't, but i have some bad ones."[/QUOTE]

I have gold and cant find anything to buy with it. I think they can give us stuff to buy like all em rares but with a tag on the end saying replica or reproduction or fake. sell them on an npc for 100m each or more. Just the deco ones. Or maybe we buy a ticket for 100m that lets us go pick out any npc deco and it says replica or fake or whatever. the new keeps and castles i dont think work well at all for a gold sink, we can always get the gold back. a deco tool cost like 10k, i think there are some ships that might cost more, but there is nothing in game from npcs that cost tons. They need to give us something in game to buy that cost tons and it will take the gold out of the game.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
fight the things that give 1500 to 2k per kill. i didnt want to go into all the other thing people use the endless cheating account for, using multi chars. would be too long of a post lol
remember they are using many accounts. its not just gold farming
I don't know anything that drops that much gold that wouldn't tear you to pieces in short order.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know anything that drops that much gold that wouldn't tear you to pieces in short order.
I’m not sure the point is whether new players can do it or not… the point is existing players can literally pour 10’s if not 100’s of millions in new gold into UO per day through farming. As 1 player with my 4 accounts I can pretty easily farm 1 million gold per hour. I’m quite certain I’m not the best or the only one capable of that.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I’m not sure the point is whether new players can do it or not… the point is existing players can literally pour 10’s if not 100’s of millions in new gold into UO per day through farming. As 1 player with my 4 accounts I can pretty easily farm 1 million gold per hour. I’m quite certain I’m not the best or the only one capable of that.
While that can be true... New and returning players can not... the issue is that many do have mountains of gold... and they need some way to purge that... through some good gold sinks... Now I like Dots proposal... anything that removes gold completely and doesn't just recycle it back into the economy is great... but we have to remember not to make it even more impossible for newer players and returning players in the process... so just finding ways to simply remove it is the best... rather than making it even more impossible looking for those who are new.

As it is... like I said as a "knowledgeable" person it was difficult for me to make enough gold to buy a simple ship on a shard that I had a halfway decent character on... Now trying to get gold on shards like Asuka has been proving a serious challenge... outside of just continually creating characters for the 1k in gold that gives I've found it near impossible to get 12k... especially with the language barrier... though I did finally after about a week of trying, find someone to translate.. and was finally able to sell a couple of pinks I'd gathered and get a boat and some armor. But that was a week of effort. I can't imagine being a new player and not knowing what to do at all.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am abandoning this thread. With the discovery that I can fill my barrel with laudanum and regain the lofty heights of my youth, I am no longer interested in money, nor justice, nor love, nor anything. Begone, begone, all of you, quit your worldly natterings and leave me to my happy ending.

Shalom!

*nails the barrel shut*

Last edited:

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
In fact, i just did a manual scout as our spawn cams are not yet switched on, and there is gold on the floor at despise and ice east right now on atl, i will assume you'll get more success on less populated shards, as champs are mined more on less populated shards by shard shield owners.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Try going just outside of Wind. Your unicorn could take out the solen infiltrators fairly simply. They drop 300 gold I believe. I can get 30k in about an hour there. They respawn fast enough that you never run out of them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Try going just outside of Wind. Your unicorn could take out the solen infiltrators fairly simply. They drop 300 gold I believe. I can get 30k in about an hour there. They respawn fast enough that you never run out of them.
I was killing some of those outside Skara

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
As a crafter who bribes up BODs continually (I literally collect them every day and have been accumulating filled larges all year), bribes are a huge money sink. Sadly, I don't know of anything on the non-crafter side that takes money like that out of the economy. Bribing large BODs can get up over 100k per bribe very easily; bribing all the way to valorite can easily cost 500k per BOD.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

GM: "We do not replace lost items."

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone know if moving to "virtual" gold eliminated the possibility of duping gold? Because if not, gold sinks are not going to accomplish much.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
as there are still likely a metric crap ton of checks in the game, it is still possible.
True they didn't delete checks... and checks can still be made I'm told so no... it didn't do much I'm sure it's being still duped with everything else...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With all this duping going on, someone tell me how to make 120 pet scrolls please. :Begging:

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Every night some guilds burn through scores of teleport ring charges. I can’t remember when teleport rings stopped spawning.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Every night some guilds burn through scores of teleport ring charges. I can’t remember when teleport rings stopped spawning.

I probably have 2 or 3 dozen teleport things sitting in a box somewhere... I'm guessing anyone that does IDOCs has quite a few... or had ... anyone that's been around Pre-AoS... anyone that has returned post AoS from Pre-AoS times has a bunch in the bank or on characters... but yeah I get you.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With all this duping going on, someone tell me how to make 120 pet scrolls please. :Begging:
Get your self a transfer token then transfer off a shard then pray a revert happens so your char is on both shards

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the most obvious way to create a gold sink is to seperate the town bonus from the governors. Make each player pay 100K(price negotiable) to get the buff. This would also remove any unwanted voting issues during elections. Fixing 2 issues at once with ease.

Easy fixes to the economy

*Property tax like New World
+Charge a % of the price it sold for at the highest sale price, property tax amount should be disclosed when selling the house in the trade menus

*Sales tax like BDO
+Charge a % of the price upon trade, even private trade, disallow the creation of checks as players could drop the check on the ground and they could drop the item on the ground, if not already removed

*Insurance adjustment to charge .5% of the items worth on death
+Amount item was purchased for should be attached to the item
+Minimum insurance ratings should be attached based on lvl of item intensity, not value, for those who craft and or earned the item from a creature
+Insurance rate is based on the highest the item sold for
+Upon death by NPC gold is removed from game
+1/4 the gold can be sent to a creature horde / tmap payouts

*In PvP 1/2 the value goes to the PK

*Gold turn in for player sponsored events

*Gold required for repairs
+based on what the item sold for or the item intensity
+0.1% tax per point of item value per point
+repaired by NPC
+if a player cannot imbue/craft item then the player cannot repair the item

500 mil item at 0/255 wants it repaired it would be 0.1% * 255 or 25.5% of the items value to repair so 500 mil * 25.5% = 127.5 mil

&this would make players think about what gear they run for PvP and PvE

*Gold based enchantments
-makes item bound to character
-destroys item after set duration

*Gold based buffs
+Gives new mechanic to preists / mages

*Gold based enchantment removal
+Requirements are 2x the required material to remove the enchantment on the item and 1k per point of enchantment points removed

& Property tax could go towards the city fund that is used for a city raid mechanic
& The higher the city stash the greater the reward and the higher the difficulty of monsters raiding would be
& Unique deco rares
& Would turn some cities into Dungeons
& Would cause IDOCs if the player runs out of money
& Sales tax would aid in this
& Insurance adjustment would bring back the purpose of midrange gear as it should be expensive to run end game gear
& We could have a ton of fun with new events and a game mechanic that helps level the playing field
& We could make the treasury susceptible to theft

Would give some purpose to all these cities in the game that are dead

Would remove excess gold

Would provide a new dynamic to existing power hierarchies

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Easy fixes to the economy
Changing the entire economic dynamic of a 20+ year old game is not an "easy fix".

*Sales tax like BDO
+Charge a % of the price upon trade, even private trade, disallow the creation of checks as players could drop the check on the ground and they could drop the item on the ground, if not already removed
People are no longer trading with checks.

*Insurance adjustment to charge .5% of the items worth on death
+Amount item was purchased for should be attached to the item
+Minimum insurance ratings should be attached based on lvl of item intensity, not value, for those who craft and or earned the item from a creature
+Insurance rate is based on the highest the item sold for
+Upon death by NPC gold is removed from game
+1/4 the gold can be sent to a creature horde / tmap payouts
Who determines what an item is worth?

If some sort of "tax basis" of value started being attached to items - players would find a way to trade items to get around it. Tax avoidance just like the real world.

500 mil item at 0/255 wants it repaired it would be 0.1% * 255 or 25.5% of the items value to repair so 500 mil * 25.5% = 127.5 mil
Charging hundreds of millions to repair an item is a bit absurd.

What if you're a new player and get lucky one day with a good drop. They have to pay hundreds of millions to repair it? This does not support keeping younger and inexperienced players in-game... it chases them away.

*Gold based enchantments
-makes item bound to character
-destroys item after set duration

*Gold based buffs
+Gives new mechanic to preists / mages

*Gold based enchantment removal
+Requirements are 2x the required material to remove the enchantment on the item and 1k per point of enchantment points removed
Is this still Ultima Online?

& Property tax could go towards the city fund that is used for a city raid mechanic
& The higher the city stash the greater the reward and the higher the difficulty of monsters raiding would be
& Unique deco rares
& Would turn some cities into Dungeons
Would give some purpose to all these cities in the game that are dead
So... like the invasions they did in 2017 and 2020? Only difference being that there is some type of City Fund based leveling of spawn difficulty.

& Would cause IDOCs if the player runs out of money
So people are going to lose their houses now?

:facepalm:

What's next... in-game mortgages?

Would provide a new dynamic to existing power hierarchies
This is nearly a 25 year old game with a dedicated player base. Turning "existing power hierarchries" on their head would inevitably lead to people leaving, cancelling subscriptions and be the end of Ultima Online.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I understand the purpose of what you're driving at and give you credit for some original ideas and will agree with the general note that some more gold sinks are definitely needed... but turning the entire economy on it's head is not the answer. These ideas would lead to destruction that would end the game.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
the most obvious way to create a gold sink is to seperate the town bonus from the governors. Make each player pay 100K(price negotiable) to get the buff. This would also remove any unwanted voting issues during elections. Fixing 2 issues at once with ease.
May be just make only top 10-20 daily gold donors get the town buff.

Actually I don't care about inflation. And I don't loot gold in most cases.
Just yesterday with fresh start toon I made 2, 5 mil in an hour or less.
Check Healer bandage price near Hythloth on ATL. Buy cloth 2gp per and sell him bandages 80gp per (yesterday price)
Lizardman in Despise gives you 60gp and 3k gold worth leather. So why bother with gold at all?

Guess it is what it is

Just trying to increase the game difficulty through economics instead of creatures

Our chars are totally ubered out

The monsters are already turned up

I just figured that your end game gear is like driving a Ferrari and they're not cheap to maintain

The insurance mechanic is broken, go insure some crap vendor armor, calc that % of cost vs item cost... now use that on a 5 plat suit...

Gold is a broken game mechanic, it's what we determined value by

Could be like D2 where we use stones of Jordan as a unit of measurement lol