• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nearly Two Weeks, No Announcement, No Anni, No Vet Rewards

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
What did YOU do to celebrate UO anniversary or anyone else here? Does the community hold no responsibility in doing something to celebrate?
Going to have to agree on that. I should have hosted something myself. next year I will remember.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you kidding? They have been working their asses off day and night for SA launch. They are HUMAN BEINGS, not machines.
And I will say the same thing that I've been saying for years... it's not like the dates of UO's Anniversary, Christmas, Halloween, or any of the holidays fluctuate (save Thanksgiving and Easter, and you can figure them out pretty quickly). These are things that should have whatever minor thing that they're doing planned for well in ADVANCE of that date so that they're ready to do.

Yes, they're human beings, not machines. Yes, they were busy working on the expansion. This is actually EA's fault, and at some level, Mythic's as well. It used to be that the Expansion team and the Live team were two different teams; LIVE should be handling the small things like the holidays.

And yes, tradition has instilled that there SHOULD BE something going on for these major holidays. Maybe you don't like them, but I do. They add some sort of dimension to the game. I actually get excited to see what's coming for the various holidays -- even if it's just fireworks displayed for the 10th anniversary, or a new mob to kill for Halloween. It's something cool that says, "Hey, this is a neat little thing going on."

It IS disappointing when they don't happen. Is it the end of the game? No. But it is disappointing. Especially when, frankly, something like the anniversary is missed. I've been playing for ALL TWELVE of the years this game's been around, minus maybe two months I took a break from it for school, and that I didn't start until a month after launch. Understand that in that time, I've seen my oldest nephew go from toddler to teenager. I've seen friends come and go from the game itself. No, UO is not my life, but is it a part of it? Yeah. Sure, UO's a game, but by the same token, when was the last time YOU played ANY game for TWELVE YEARS consistently?

We, the players, become invested in the game because the game provides us things to become invested in. I own property in the game (yeah, it's pixels, but it's the result of tangible efforts that I've made inside of the game). I have fun and enjoy the game. So it's okay to be invested in it.

People have expectations, and part of those expectations are tradition. When tradition isn't met, there's certainly some disappointment.

I understand they just released SA... and that's why I haven't been running around saying, "Where the hell's my vet rewards?!?!??!!" However, as I stated above, Calvin indicated they were forthcoming. I'm excited (is this a bad thing?) to see what's coming.

But I also stand by the fact that we know when these dates are... these things should be planned and tested in advance, not as they approach. They should be ready to flip a switch on, and voila, they're ready to roll, work on expansion or not.
What did YOU do to celebrate UO anniversary or anyone else here? Does the community hold no responsibility in doing something to celebrate?
Personally? I went over my hard-drive and looked through lots of the old pics that I have from my days as a Counselor, from early days of my guild, and did a lot of reminiscing. No, it wasn't in-game, but I did do something to commemorate it personally.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note for the record:

1. The Devs HAVE COMMENTED that they planned originally to roll out the rewards on the anniversary, but some issues came up forcing the current delay

2. At the time of the original post, it was NOT two weeks since the anniversary. In fact, as of today, it has STILL only been EIGHT DAYS (nine if you count the 25th itself as day one). Fail kindergarten math much?

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Note for the record:

1. The Devs HAVE COMMENTED that they planned originally to roll out the rewards on the anniversary, but some issues came up forcing the current delay
Calvin Crowner is NOT a Developer, he's the producer.
2. At the time of the original post, it was NOT two weeks since the anniversary. In fact, as of today, it has STILL only been EIGHT DAYS (nine if you count the 25th itself as day one). Fail kindergarten math much?
At the time of the original post, it was the end of the SECOND business week. The original posting BY Calvin Crowner was on Tuesday, September 22 (edited with correct information). Two business weeks ago. I don't expect them to post information of an official nature on Saturday or Sunday unless it involves shards crashing or exploits. Which is why the post title was "Nearly Two Weeks," not "Exactly Two Weeks."

Sure it's been 8 days since the anniversary. It's been two weeks since the announcement.

Now... as for "Fail kindergarten math much?" please ban yourself for 24 hours. You have violated Stratics Terms of Service, which, as a Moderator, I'm certain you agreed to. Specifically:

A. Show respect at all times.
C. Personal attacks are prohibited.This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way.
D. Trolling is prohibited.Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the board. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion in the long run, it only encourages personal attacks (if left unchecked).

I expect you to acknowledge that you have banned yourself and then immediately depart these forums for 24 hours.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you kidding? They have been working their asses off day and night for SA launch. They are HUMAN BEINGS, not machines.

Wave your pom-poms at someone who cares. SA had been in development OVER THREE YEARS. They releases it in the state its in, and have now buried their heads in the sand, unwilling to communicate with the people who PAY FOR THEM TO LIVE.

Sorry, your argument holds zero credibility to paying customers.

Again, lame. As Ra stated, they have had a year of preparation. You damn well know that what is coming out didn't take months of coding. Their job is planning, coding, and creating the game. If they can't plan far enough ahead, take scope creep into account, AND communicate - they have no business in the corporate world.

UO is a business. WE pay for it. WE have a right to demand a quality service. If Blizzard acted like this they would NOT have the #1 MMO on the market.

Expecting the players to pick up the slack for EA Mythic's laziness is asinine.

T

Tazar

The original post was borderline - but at this point - it's all spiels and rants.

Post moved as appropriate.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Calvin Crowner is NOT a Developer, he's the producer.
At the time of the original post, it was the end of the SECOND business week. The original posting BY Calvin Crowner was on Tuesday, September 22 (edited with correct information). Two business weeks ago. I don't expect them to post information of an official nature on Saturday or Sunday unless it involves shards crashing or exploits. Which is why the post title was "Nearly Two Weeks," not "Exactly Two Weeks."

Sure it's been 8 days since the anniversary. It's been two weeks since the announcement.

Now... as for "Fail kindergarten math much?" please ban yourself for 24 hours. You have violated Stratics Terms of Service, which, as a Moderator, I'm certain you agreed to. Specifically:

A. Show respect at all times.
C. Personal attacks are prohibited.This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way.
D. Trolling is prohibited.Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the board. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion in the long run, it only encourages personal attacks (if left unchecked).

I expect you to acknowledge that you have banned yourself and then immediately depart these forums for 24 hours.
I mentioned his attitude earlier when he replied to one of my posts. For a moderator it is a disgusting way to behave, one which I dare say the Stratics Admins will ignore.

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for responding.

A lot of us still love this game after 12 years.

F

Flora Green

And the other times they've forgotten? There's always an excuse. Here's an example. I've been working, I'm been busy. My financial situation sucks. My parents' anniversary is tomorrow. I may not have the money to get them a gift on time, but I will at LEAST pick up the phone, call them, wish them Happy Anniversary and chat some.

Anniversaries happen ONCE A YEAR. That gives us and the team an entire year to plan for the next one. I care little about vet rewards, anniversary gifts, etc. They are nice and I enjoy them, but it doesn't disrupt my gameplay. But, I think it's pretty sad when the team, the herald, the community rep and whoever else can't take time out of their busy schedules to make a 30 second post noting the anniversary of the game they work (and for some play) on.

Seems to me that's the point that's been made for a couple of years now and had far less to do with gifts. And I'm aware that Sak made an anniversary post in U.Hall. Even with the devs being busy, there should have been mention of it in the Herald or FoF which would have been representation of the team as a whole saying Happy Anniversary UO. That probably took me 5 seconds to type.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The original post was borderline - but at this point - it's all spiels and rants.

This is NOT borderline anything.... just that no one on stratics wants truth told.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It was not borderline anything. The original post was simply asking for further information that had already been announced by a member of Mythic. How in the world that's borderline is beyond me.

If it's become a Spiel and Rant it's because of the posts of YOUR moderators in this thread.

T

Tazar

Calvin's original post (2nd up from the bottom)

If you read the post, Calvin stated that
we were lining up several other announcements to coincide with the Return to Britannia campaign, as well as with the true launch date of Ultima Online’s … but the server fairies had other ideas. So stay tuned for an exciting announcement about 11th and 12th year veteran rewards, as well as other fun goodies planned for the live game over the next few weeks.
When this thread was created, we were at 10 days, not even two weeks, much less a few weeks. The net result is that the original post and most of the thread was just taking an opportunity to bash the dev team for missing a date - even though Calvin had already answered - and the OP had read the answer - and there was never any promise to that date.

Lets see... Leaving out critical parts of Calvin's Quote resulting in misinformation to build a case for a complaint - Complaining about missing a deadline that had no commitments even though it had already been explained in the same post that was mis-quoted - Complaining about Mythic not caring about the anniversary - Nothing positive put forth - inflaming post = SnR material.

Now there is a thread here, plus a redirect marker on U-hall so the thread can get even more exposure.

Considering the misquote of Calvin, I can find enough to warrant a move of the thread.

Also - as a reminder...

I. Publicly discussing actions by the moderators is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: bans, warnings, locks, and moved threads. Any inquiries or comments on bans, warnings, or other moderator actions, are to be sent in private messages or via email. A moderator may choose to publicly inform the participants of a forum about bans and warnings if this is in the interest of the forum.
If you have an issue with a moderator's actions, please take it to the appropriate party by sending an e-mail to [email protected].

C

canary

If you have an issue with a moderator's actions, please take it to the appropriate party by sending an e-mail to [email protected].
Err, you totally just read your own TOS wrong.

Ra'Dian was pointing out that a mod was not following the actual TOS. He was NOT discussing actions the moderators specifically had done to any poster in a private conversation.

Wow.

B

Bullet

Really now? They just busted their a$$es off producing a new expansion for you, and everyone else to enjoy. You shouldn't take things for granted. You make it seem like the Developers don't do anything at all, when in reality, if they didn't, this game wouldn't even be here right now.

You shouldn't take things for granted. Be thankful for what IS available to you, and develop patience. The content for the 12th anniversery will probably be implemented along with the halloween content (if there is halloween content this year*).
Umm, wake up call! Over 3 years to get this expansion. So how hard did they bust their a$$es off for an expansion promissed to be completed 2 years ago?

T

Tazar

Err, you totally just read your own TOS wrong.

Ra'Dian was pointing out that a mod was not following the actual TOS. He was NOT discussing actions the moderators specifically had done to any poster in a private conversation.

Wow.
Not at all.

For his issue about a mod not following the TOS, there is a notify mod button that is to be used - or an email to the admins at the above address if it reaches that level.

The questioning mod actions reference is from the comments/questions in this thread about why the thread was moved.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When this thread was created, we were at 10 days, not even two weeks, much less a few weeks. The net result is that the original post and most of the thread was just taking an opportunity to bash the dev team for missing a date - even though Calvin had already answered - and the OP had read the answer - and there was never any promise to that date.
Actually, from MY interpretation:
we were lining up several other announcements to coincide with the Return to Britannia campaign, as well as with the true launch date of Ultima Online’s … but the server fairies had other ideas. So stay tuned for an exciting announcement about 11th and 12th year veteran rewards, as well as other fun goodies planned for the live game over the next few weeks.
You may interpret it as stay tuned for exciting announcements over the next few weeks; I interpret it as the announcements about these things are coming very soon, and will talk about stuff coming up that will be available "over the next few weeks."
Lets see... Leaving out critical parts of Calvin's Quote resulting in misinformation to build a case for a complaint - Complaining about missing a deadline that had no commitments even though it had already been explained in the same post that was mis-quoted - Complaining about Mythic not caring about the anniversary - Nothing positive put forth - inflaming post = SnR material.
I didn't COMPLAIN about anything. I indicated how I felt about it. And I asked what was going on. If you take it as COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN, fine, but you're giving the interpretation a VERY wide birth.
Now there is a thread here, plus a redirect marker on U-hall so the thread can get even more exposure.

Considering the misquote of Calvin, I can find enough to warrant a move of the thread.
I didn't misquote Calvin at all.

Also - as a reminder...

I did take the important issues of it to PM. If you're telling me I can't respond to your post in a live and active thread, that's ludicrous. I simply stated a fact in response to why you moved it. Period. I didn't challenge you, I didn't ask you to move it back, I simply defended my original post, and stated how I felt it had become SnR.

You know for a fact that I took the other portion to PM, so don't start trying to make it sound like I"m out to get you.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The questioning mod actions reference is from the comments/questions in this thread about why the thread was moved.
I never asked publicly why this thread was moved. At all. I defended my stance on my original post AND why it had been moved.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread has gone to hell in a handbasket with everyone bashing each other, Stratics staff and UO Devs pretty much indiscriminately.
Has anyone considered that there might be rules at EA about who can post what? That they may not always be allowed to tell us things they'd perhaps like to?

I will restore a very few relevant informational posts to Uhall, leaving the 'Gripes, Rants and Venting.' here, where they belong.