• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lower reagent cost

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You seem to forget that ANYONE can use an ARCANE GEM to recharge arcane clothing. They only get slightly less charges if they are not a tailor. If you are required to use a tailor shop to use the recharge deed in the first place, what may I ask is the point? People that will be needing a recharge will be out in the wilderness, battling.

I am not trolling you as you claim, simply pointing out that the ONLY purpose for being able to make recharge deeds instead of using arcane gems is for the insurability of the deeds as where arcane gems are NOT insurable. There is no "keeping players honest" about it. Smith, Tailor, Carp, Tinker, Fletcher deeds keep players honest because only players with those skills can make repairs. And again ANYONE regardless of skill can use arcane gems, I know becuase I carry 5 with my sampire at all times for his boots that are used to cast vampiric embrace.

So one final time, your idea for recharge deeds is flawed, call me a troll if you want, but pointing out the obvious isn't trolling. Hmm, lower LRC, make arcane gems insurable in deed form, carry 20 insured "recharge deeds" basically have 100 LRC and no chance at getting the deeds/gems looted. In the meantime you have just freed up more space on your suit for another mod. SMH. All this idea is, is a guarenteed way to get around a lower LRC cap without penalty.
Nothing worn by gargoyle can be arcane charged.

Arcane clothing is no longer clothing for the targeting of a CBD. Not wasting and ITB to test. Arcane gear can be insured.

Arcane charged gloves can be imbued. Ecx made gloves arcane altered still have exc tag but are now considered loot and have a 450 imbue point cap. Imbued (or not imbued) exc. gloves when arcane altered are wiped of imbued mods and are reduced to basic leather gloves resist. Arcane altered gloves that have been imbued when recharged don't loose their mods. Arcane altered gloves are considered enhanced already, so no need to bring out the barbed or spine.

24 charges compared to 19 unskilled recharge. Few extra pairs of full charge insured boots vs "Damn they looted my gems" Those that shed tears over insurance in theese threads need to remember this is not the SP thread.

Items special dyed retain their dyed color on recharge.

Only brought up the arcane gear with few knowing about it. Few are left pre 120 magery and know what it is to fail a casting. Few have slapped on 50-60% LRC and some arcane boots/gloves and realized how little they fail a cast due to no regs. Change boots - stroll back into battle. Sorry, there are other templates and spells to cast. Rather have few legend recharge deeds in the bank for my bootSssss then a pocket full of gems for my play style. Rechaging gloves is bit more different then boots.

Last edited:

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm going to throw this one out there, I know people will scream but it's for the good of the people when I say.

Cap it at 90%
While we're on the subject of caps, they should limit one fairy PER fairy that uses them!

Also, I'm suprised that you are still banging on about and wasting your time thinking up new ways to make death in game more of a penalty. With the amount you die, I'd say leave it alone man or, you may just get what you wished for and then spend an awful looong time sitting out prolonged penalties that this bunch of Dev's can think up - they just love to mess with stuff and get up into peoples s**t when it's not needed.

EG: the new improved healing targetting system or whatever...

Leave it alone man and concentrate on playing a template that matters - no fairies/speedhacks/bugging out/lame tactics etc etc etc

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even lowering the cap by 5% to 95 makes LRC essentially useless. It's an all or nothing mod. People don't wanna mess with restocking regs if they die and such. If you wanna create a market for regs that's fine, but you'd need an insurable reg pouch similar to a quiver if you do so. Heck if that existed many people wouldn't bother to factor LRC into their suits as it stands anyway. It's all a convenience and downtime thing.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like someone got his ass handed to him by a mage once too often. Nothing wrong with 100% LRC. Maybe you weren't around when mages had to carry regs, but most of us were. Try being balls deep in a dungeon or champ spawn and die to a disconnect and have your regs get looted. So for that peerless or whatever you get to sit in a corner and fap it while the rest of the group kills the mob to get your regs. Sound fun?

Sorry but 100% LRC has been around for years. If you haven't adapted your tactics by now, I think you've got bigger problems. If its a question of balance, you're going to have to work a lot harder on your argument. Spellweaving, Chivalry, Barding, Taming, and Archery, off the top of my head, are all able to function at 100% mere seconds after death. If anything needs to be changed, make bandages insurable. Then you'll need to come up with a new excuse for why you can't keep up with everyone else.
You've been pretty unfortunate here about me getting my ass handed by a mage as I'm the top mage on my shard, however I do agree that spellweaving and chivalry, and perhaps taming should be a bit more resource heavy, do you remember when you had to feed your pet?

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've been pretty unfortunate here about me getting my ass handed by a mage as I'm the top mage on my shard, however I do agree that spellweaving and chivalry, and perhaps taming should be a bit more resource heavy, do you remember when you had to feed your pet?

Merv you are a good mage, you should remember this. Loose the pixies and stop casting Spell plauge

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So you'd like to be able to render Mages Useless after death...So you can steal their regs and rez kill them at leisure? I'm not understanding why you want to go backwards?

Dexers can insure everything they need save Bandages.... however I can insure a Talisman of Bandages.... Giving me a few to get by until I can get more... so that's a no worry. Archers carry quivers that can be insured and so no loss of arrows... again with the bandages...... but then you have Chivy and that don't need anything but gold.... so you can't take that away..... So do we get insurable reg bags then? And then once again what is the point???

But Necro, Magery and Mysticism all need regs...

And you say Gargoyles can wear a robe..... well that means you can't wear the robe everyone does so no bonus to MR for gargoyles then? But they can't wear boots... so to carry extra charged items they have to carry big bulky extra robes..... They can't wear the gloves either.... nor the cape.... and it can't be altered to wing armor.... Not real fair there. That means humans and elves could basically wear 4 charged items and Gargoyles only one.

I think whoever thought up this idea is no mage/mystic/necro...... or seriously hasn't thought this thru ..... And I agree with Galen.... bit late in the game to be thinking of a change like this.

Yes it would start to use up the over 120k of each reg I own..... but big deal... And unlike any other class that would mean taking up 8 spaces in my backpack again..... or in the case of Mystics even more is it 12 or 10 or something I can't recall...

Anyway I just think the idea is a bit silly at this point in the game. I'd rather see fixes for things like unlocking the demon room in Fire... and opening that long closed cave over by shame... updating loot tables... and such.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why all the fuss over LRC? Offensively 100 LRC mages have no advantage over a melee fighter... both can attack indefinitely until suits need to be repaired and both have need of a slayer for bonus damage. Defensively the may have a very slight advantage because the can heal without the need to restock bandages, but that is all but negated by the enhanced bandage bonus and melee templates that leech to heal.

Are you just dying to get that reg vendor up and running? What is it?
Huh?
How in the world do enhanced bandies and leeches balance anything in pvp?

1) If you are fresh rezzed you don't have any bandys. What difference does enhanced make then? And even when you have them the % is not a big factor at all.

2) Have you ever pvped? What kind of healing leech do you think anyone is getting? Take a look around yew gate if you ever go to felucca. Try to find a pvper using life leech on a weapon lol.

Scrapping lrc may not be a great idea but plz don't insult my intelligence by trying to compare lrc to bandys

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You must play on Lake Austin or something. I'm pretty sure I've heard that claim from 20-30 different guys over the years, so forgive me if I'm not impressed. On the topic, I think there's plenty of valid arguments here against your "idea," and while I'm sure being the top mage on Balhae keeps you very busy, perhaps you should address them.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry but every time I look at posts like this one I get the distinct impression that the OP is out for a fight and is bored.
They know full well this type of statement is going to cause major fighting.
First off regents are not being ignored, every scroll needs them to be made.
Second many a potion has a greater need then a single players need any day.
Third and final reason this is off base.... Many players who have a LRC suit also carry regents. Sounds odd but I have on occasion had a 100% suit not always count as a 100% and regents in small amounts on that rare occasion are a back up.
Again another post to make hell in peace time..

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry but every time I look at posts like this one I get the distinct impression that the OP is out for a fight and is bored.
They know full well this type of statement is going to cause major fighting.
First off regents are not being ignored, every scroll needs them to be made.
Second many a potion has a greater need then a single players need any day.
Third and final reason this is off base.... Many players who have a LRC suit also carry regents. Sounds odd but I have on occasion had a 100% suit not always count as a 100% and regents in small amounts on that rare occasion are a back up.
Again another post to make hell in peace time..
I don't know who's post you're addressing, that's why we have a Reply button.

I don't know what you do with your time, but personally I don't sit around making scrolls and potions all day. Nobody is assuming reagents aren't used for crafting, so that's really not relevant.

As for "many mages'" still carrying around regs, I don't know where to begin. I can't see any intelligent person carrying around a bunch of extra items on the off chance that their LRC doesn't work. In all the years since AOS I have never had this happen once. Maybe you're trying to Recall with your pants off.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who died and left you boss?

I don't remember EA CEO stepping aside and giving you his chair... till then keep your 95% on your end sweety... the rest of us will keep the 100% thank you.

CaptainLu

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I think any values between 0-99 are a joke. The lrc property at 100% makes it all or nothing I would think as well. I feel that the 'will of the players' I would safely guess to be far more in favoring of removing reagent requirements all together, not changing lrc to be so undesirable no one uses it. I personally would prefer a chiv charge system for all such resource dependent skills and be done with it. An alternative I believe someone mentioned that I like sort of, is to require one of each reg same way that chiv lrc requires you to have at least on tithing point in order for the lrc to function. I dont feel that will please too many people either though. Except for the cool pvp concept of thieves stealing a mages regs, I do not see anything desirable about continuing to have an outdated spell component system. LRC at least allows the player to update there mage to the far more common modern systems, not many of which I am aware of still require spell components, hell even d&d doesnt do that anymore right?

Not everything about classic ultima is a set in stone necessary aspect of its greatness. The regeant system is one of those things. The interface had to change as well to move into modern game sensibilites, players wanted hotbars and such. The reagent system strikes me as the same kind of thing. Nostalgic items that I would never use for making a mage character. I would just make a warrior and farm up a lrc suit (so cheap to get at this point it isnt even worth logging a mage into new haven for any length of time without it.

As a returning player I am quite sure that I will never ever use a regeant for spellcasting, if I happen to have a hybrid with less intensive spellcasting I would still go for a piece of arcane gear before I even consider carrying any more items in my pack than I already do.

CaptainLu

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I guess another angle you could approach it from is set a soft cap for lrc, and then anything between that and 100% could have some sort of penalty, such that maybe you could have 60% lrc as normal, and then every additional 10% might add some small debuff trade-off. But I think all such attempts to change it will make more sense with removing regs altogether. Another variant of my chiv idea, would be to make it so the regs can be donated at a shrine and then used as if they were in your backpack. That way regs would still have a purpose in the game outside of crafting. Abbatoirs and pentagrams would make excellent regeant 'tithing' points.

Endal

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I've posted it before, I'll post it again!

Cap LRC at 75%

However, make it so that the five prime mage skills will add an extra 1% for every 20% they are learned. Meaning that 100% in Magery, Evaluate Intelligence, Meditation, Resisting Spells, and Inscription will give you 100% LRC with the suit.

CaptainLu

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I've posted it before, I'll post it again!

Cap LRC at 75%

However, make it so that the five prime mage skills will add an extra 1% for every 20% they are learned. Meaning that 100% in Magery, Evaluate Intelligence, Meditation, Resisting Spells, and Inscription will give you 100% LRC with the suit.
I rather like this idea, it lets the pure mage have the convenience, and lets the hybrids make a trade off decision

CaptainLu

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I rather like this idea, it lets the pure mage have the convenience, and lets the hybrids make a trade off decision
How would it work for necro and myst tho. Ideally you would want a way for each pure type caster or a reg consuming art to get to the 100%. And the hybrids could add demand for arcane clothing for the less intensive needs

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think LRC works fine as it is an requires no change.

North_LS

Journeyman
Interesting you ask, It's mainly so that when you kill someone you can disable them for longer than half a second. At the moment there is just no penalty for death. Warriors you can loot their bandages and much needed potions, but I can harass people as a mage and just die and get ressed insta with only losing gold, then I'm back in the fight, it's part of the death being just another debuff thing.
LMAO, like its any different on a warrior. insta-rez and you can still harass nonstop without bandages or pots. you dont need to be at 100% effectiveness to be a major thorn in someones side, especially in a group fight. fwiw, i'd be fine with a lower bandage cost attribute so warriors (and tamers) dont need to worry about lugging those about. Also fine with temp statloss after rezzing in fel akin to the old faction stat timer, as i agree there should be more than a 5 second penalty for death in fel.

LRC is a major convenience in a lot of ways in the state the game is in now. Back when you could grab 50 of each reg or a tribal spear and 25 bandies and be just as competitive as anyone else, it wasnt needed. now its pretty essential to a lot of playstyles.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What about keeping it 100%, but requiring at least one each of the required regs for the spell/s to be present.

So, you could have 100%LRC but you'd have to have the eight magery regs in your pack -they would just never be consumed.
Chiv requires enough tithing to cast a spell even if 100% LRC suit. And so far I have seen no one remark that scribes would be impacted - those that sell scrolls - because dropping LRC would cause the usage of more regs, thus higher scroll prices. At least that's what I'm thinking.