• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lower reagent cost

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to throw this one out there, I know people will scream but it's for the good of the people when I say.

Cap it at 90%

Reactions: hen

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Cap LRC at 40% like LMC. I like Hen's solution.

Having 100% LRC suits is one of the worst design decisions of all time in UO.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In the silver seed - I loved my ring of regiments!

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why all the fuss over LRC? Offensively 100 LRC mages have no advantage over a melee fighter... both can attack indefinitely until suits need to be repaired and both have need of a slayer for bonus damage. Defensively the may have a very slight advantage because the can heal without the need to restock bandages, but that is all but negated by the enhanced bandage bonus and melee templates that leech to heal.

Are you just dying to get that reg vendor up and running? What is it?

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anything lower then 100% would be great for the Arcane Clothing crafters. Like a repair deed a arcnae clothing recharge deed would also have a use.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why all the fuss over LRC? Offensively 100 LRC mages have no advantage over a melee fighter... both can attack indefinitely until suits need to be repaired and both have need of a slayer for bonus damage. Defensively the may have a very slight advantage because the can heal without the need to restock bandages, but that is all but negated by the enhanced bandage bonus and melee templates that leech to heal.

Interesting you ask, It's mainly so that when you kill someone you can disable them for longer than half a second. At the moment there is just no penalty for death. Warriors you can loot their bandages and much needed potions, but I can harass people as a mage and just die and get ressed insta with only losing gold, then I'm back in the fight, it's part of the death being just another debuff thing.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran

That is a pretty poor comparison.

Magery is a ranged weapon, like archery and throwing. A mage doesn't stand toe-to-toe with the opponent. My mages suit gets repaired once a year, while my fighter's suit gets repaired once a week, and the weapon more often than that. Magery is very powerful in all the spells available, without any cost.

But I agree with Viper, it's too little and too late, and not going to get changed.

T

Tazar

Interesting you ask, It's mainly so that when you kill someone you can disable them for longer than half a second. At the moment there is just no penalty for death. Warriors you can loot their bandages and much needed potions, but I can harass people as a mage and just die and get ressed insta with only losing gold, then I'm back in the fight, it's part of the death being just another debuff thing.
It already delays more than half a second... unless you have some magic method of instantly restoring mana?

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe capping it at introduction would have been better, but we've had 100% so long now I doubt there's much support for removing it.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to throw this one out there, I know people will scream but it's for the good of the people when I say.

Cap it at 90%
Agreed..I predominantly play a Mage or a toon that uses some sort of reagent..the only issue I see is mystic regs..I don't think I've ever used or saw one :/ it's like having 100% lower bandage cost..or 100% lower mana cost..unfortunately the change would kill so much fighting..I don't know if people recall the loot the garlic days of UO..would sure bring thieves back tho

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What yall do with the artifacts having LRC mod on them ? Waste of a mod ? Please tell me why I would use a Lieutenant Sash then ? Or even mana orbs, or Armor of Fortune, or Orny, or soulbinder ring or my ubber legendary ring fresh looted from shame with LRC on it ?

Last edited:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What yall do with the artifacts having LRC mod on them ? Waste of a mod ? Please tell me why I would use a Lieutenant Sash then ? Or even mana orbs, or Armor of Fortune, or Orny, or soulbinder ring or my ubber legendary ring fresh looted from shame with LRC on it ?
To lower the amount of regs used, I would imagine.

Last edited:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean if they remove the requirements for reagents or if they reduce the cap, all these artis listed would have a drop
If they had lowered the cap to 90% or even 70%, that is still fairly high. Not enough to make LRC useless as a mod.
But, as I expressed earlier, it is too late to make that change. Too many have been relying on it for far too long.

Last edited:

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about keeping it 100%, but requiring at least one each of the required regs for the spell/s to be present.

So, you could have 100%LRC but you'd have to have the eight magery regs in your pack -they would just never be consumed.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about keeping it 100%, but requiring at least one each of the required regs for the spell/s to be present.

So, you could have 100%LRC but you'd have to have the eight magery regs in your pack -they would just never be consumed.
Sounds like paradise for thieves looking to screw with mages, lol.

But nah, doesn't really make much sense. Not going to burn them, so why require them?

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
it is too late to make that change. Too many have been relying on it for far too long.
Hey, you said it... The same could be said about every single change that did harm to this game.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they had lowered the cap to 90% or even 70%, that is still fairly high. Not enough to make LRC useless as a mod.
But, as I expressed earlier, it is too late to make that change. Too many have been relying on it for far too long.
Capping lrc at 90% and making the extra 10% lrc you have on your suit redundant would not break everyone's suit.

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anything lower then 100% would be great for the Arcane Clothing crafters. Like a repair deed a arcnae clothing recharge deed would also have a use.
Why would you need an arcane cloting recharge deed? Anyone can simply recharge arcane clothing with an arcane gem however tailors get a small boost to the amount of charges gained from that re-charge. With the availability of arcane gems from exodus dungeon from people farming keys, I don't ever see a need for arcane recharging deeds, just sell the gems :)

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually - it would mean redoing suits. Any wasted imbuing weight will be wanted for other areas.

This is a very good point. A lot of us also enhance after imbuing, so if we don't want to miss out on freed imbuing weight, we'd have to buy more 100% reforging tools.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While were at cap typing in general chat too 5 words,cap rezzing too 3x per day,running too 3 screens per hour,and buying anything too 1mil per day. Seriously?

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Actually - it would mean redoing suits. Any wasted imbuing weight will be wanted for other areas.
You don't think this last round of armor changes and refinements made many many people "redo" their suits? How many other publishes, skill and armor changes made us redo our suits? When sampires were required to maintain necro skill to stay in vamp form, I had to redo my suit. Don't make that a bigger deal than it is. A 10% change means you would replace one piece of armor, or just reimbue one piece.

Surely you admit that 100% LRC is overpowered.

But, don't get you knickers in a twist, because this ain't happen'n anyway.

T

Tazar

You don't think this last round of armor changes and refinements made many many people "redo" their suits? How many other publishes, skill and armor changes made us redo our suits? When sampires were required to maintain necro skill to stay in vamp form, I had to redo my suit. Don't make that a bigger deal than it is. A 10% change means you would replace one piece of armor, or just reimbue one piece.

I was replying to a post that appeared to say it wouldn't affect suits - when I believe that it will.

And no - I do not believe that 100% LRC is overpowered. It's been compared to archery where the archer has to have arrows, but Magery also has a large limiting factor in the vast quantities mana used which really does not apply to other templates. I think it is fine the way it is.

T

Tazar

HA! I KNEW you would be afraid to admit you are wrong!

But of course it would affect suits. It's silly to think it wouldn't.
You are entitled to your opinion - but please do not speak for me with your assumption that "I must admit it". You are wrong in your assumption - not I.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would you need an arcane cloting recharge deed? Anyone can simply recharge arcane clothing with an arcane gem however tailors get a small boost to the amount of charges gained from that re-charge. With the availability of arcane gems from exodus dungeon from people farming keys, I don't ever see a need for arcane recharging deeds, just sell the gems :)
pile of gems - piles of regs - arcane boots. Pick the one that a CBD is an easier target or can be insured. A lower cap frees up space in suit for mods. Trophy hunters and thieves needs regs or arcane gems also.

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pile of gems - piles of regs - arcane boots. Pick the one that a CBD is an easier target or can be insured. A lower cap frees up space in suit for mods. Trophy hunters and thieves needs regs or arcane gems also.

So basically your wanting to turn arcane gems into arcane recharging deeds just so you can insure it? To many damn things are insurable these days as it is.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Redoing suits is exactly the point: I've made a dozen new suits after Publish 81, and I don't care to do it again. It's not necessarily remaking only one piece of armor, you must realize. Dropping a couple of LRC on five or six pieces can mean not having to use faery dust, and having more room to imbue a little more of a resist, or a little more LMC.

I admit that 100% LRC is overpowered -- in the same way a warrior swinging a weapon is overpowered because that doesn't require imbuing weight.

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sounds like you are looking for a challenge! Perhaps you should log into Siege, you can loot the entire LRC suit from a player if you kill them :) Quivers aren't blessed or insured so you can take an archer's quiver full of arrows or bolts too! Most players that harass others on Siege get put in their place.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So basically your wanting to turn arcane gems into arcane recharging deeds just so you can insure it? To many damn things are insurable these days as it is.
Nope the deeds as always keep other players honest. Arcane recharge deeds can be coded to only work in a tailor shop like the repair deeds. Now crawl back under a bridge and troll assume someone else. CBD would be useless on a recharge deed. ALso a recharge deed would reflect the makers skill. Sure there are plenty of archers running to the shop and repairing their bow with 0 skill.

Last edited:

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Cap it at 90%
Sounds like someone got his ass handed to him by a mage once too often. Nothing wrong with 100% LRC. Maybe you weren't around when mages had to carry regs, but most of us were. Try being balls deep in a dungeon or champ spawn and die to a disconnect and have your regs get looted. So for that peerless or whatever you get to sit in a corner and fap it while the rest of the group kills the mob to get your regs. Sound fun?

Sorry but 100% LRC has been around for years. If you haven't adapted your tactics by now, I think you've got bigger problems. If its a question of balance, you're going to have to work a lot harder on your argument. Spellweaving, Chivalry, Barding, Taming, and Archery, off the top of my head, are all able to function at 100% mere seconds after death. If anything needs to be changed, make bandages insurable. Then you'll need to come up with a new excuse for why you can't keep up with everyone else.

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope the deeds as always keep other players honest. Arcane recharge deeds can be coded to only work in a tailor shop like the repair deeds. Now crawl back under a bridge and troll assume someone else. CBD would be useless on a recharge deed. ALso a recharge deed would reflect the makers skill. Sure there are plenty of archers running to the shop and repairing their bow with 0 skill.

You seem to forget that ANYONE can use an ARCANE GEM to recharge arcane clothing. They only get slightly less charges if they are not a tailor. If you are required to use a tailor shop to use the recharge deed in the first place, what may I ask is the point? People that will be needing a recharge will be out in the wilderness, battling.

I am not trolling you as you claim, simply pointing out that the ONLY purpose for being able to make recharge deeds instead of using arcane gems is for the insurability of the deeds as where arcane gems are NOT insurable. There is no "keeping players honest" about it. Smith, Tailor, Carp, Tinker, Fletcher deeds keep players honest because only players with those skills can make repairs. And again ANYONE regardless of skill can use arcane gems, I know becuase I carry 5 with my sampire at all times for his boots that are used to cast vampiric embrace.

So one final time, your idea for recharge deeds is flawed, call me a troll if you want, but pointing out the obvious isn't trolling. Hmm, lower LRC, make arcane gems insurable in deed form, carry 20 insured "recharge deeds" basically have 100 LRC and no chance at getting the deeds/gems looted. In the meantime you have just freed up more space on your suit for another mod. SMH. All this idea is, is a guarenteed way to get around a lower LRC cap without penalty.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like someone got his ass handed to him by a mage once too often. Nothing wrong with 100% LRC. Maybe you weren't around when mages had to carry regs, but most of us were. Try being balls deep in a dungeon or champ spawn and die to a disconnect and have your regs get looted. So for that peerless or whatever you get to sit in a corner and fap it while the rest of the group kills the mob to get your regs. Sound fun?

Sorry but 100% LRC has been around for years. If you haven't adapted your tactics by now, I think you've got bigger problems. If its a question of balance, you're going to have to work a lot harder on your argument. Spellweaving, Chivalry, Barding, Taming, and Archery, off the top of my head, are all able to function at 100% mere seconds after death. If anything needs to be changed, make bandages insurable. Then you'll need to come up with a new excuse for why you can't keep up with everyone else.
Agree, although bandages are already insurable. Just carry a bandage charge talisman, and insure it, that's what my bandy healing templates use. Easily obtainable off heartwood quests.

Get rid of 100% LRC and force me to have to stop fighting a peerless or spawn or for that matter any dungeon and have to return home to get regs and all three of my accounts would be closed that quickly you wouldn't see me for dust. I am NOT going backwards in time for anyone. There is enough crap to deal with without reducing LRC just to make life a pain in the butt. Carrying arcane clothing is also not a viable option if you want to fight anywhere for ages unless you carry a load of it, also not gonna happen. Why are people so keen to nerf templates? Beats me.

If you only want 90% LRC then leave a bit off your suit. But leave my suits alone.

Last edited:

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sounds like you are looking for a challenge! Perhaps you should log into Siege, you can loot the entire LRC suit from a player if you kill them :) Quivers aren't blessed or insured so you can take an archer's quiver full of arrows or bolts too! Most players that harass others on Siege get put in their place.
He wont play siege, its far to harsh for him, he just want it made harsher on everyone else before he leaves again. As that's what he does, he just leaves for 4-5 months at a time then comes back and plays for a few months then leaves again.

A harsh rule set would not keep him form leaving

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I too would close my accounts if LRC were to be capped to a low number.
My grip isn't with LRC itself, but the reagents add way too much unneeded micromanagement.
There are too many of them and their use isn't evenly distributed among the spells.
I am playing a game to have fun, not to spend my time dealing with spreadsheets or making programs to keep tabs of how many ebolts, flame strikes, rez spells I can still cast.

If they were to replace it with a "bag of reagents" with charges, with spells consuming a number of charges equal their level, instead of having to manage all those reagents, I'd be game to drop LRC to 40 to 60.
Because then there wouldn't be too much of micromanagement. Divide the number of charges by the level of the spell you want to cast and you know how many you can still cast.

That would still hurt new players badly, though, because keeping up enough tithing points to train chivalry or buying enough bags of reagents cost way more than you make at New Haven.
I have done that, and I saw how much of a pain it was to get enough gold to recharge your tithing points or buying enough black pearls to keep fireballing zombies and skeletons two years ago.

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its too bad they don't sell all the regents needed for a mystic. Dragon's blood is not sold at any npc shop and doesn't spawn anywhere but killing certain monsters. So at 90% lrc I would spend a lot of time farming that regent.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its too bad they don't sell all the regents needed for a mystic. Dragon's blood is not sold at any npc shop and doesn't spawn anywhere but killing certain monsters. So at 90% lrc I would spend a lot of time farming that regent.

That, and there are only 2 npc's that I know of that sell the rest of those mystic regs

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is how the system should have been implemented -- limit to, say, 80% LRC, and the rest is either reagents or arcane clothing or some combination thereof.

But to limit it after the fact is a ludicrous notion. It's not the same, I would argue, as limiting, say LMC or HCI or DCI, all of which were limited after the fact. To suddenly limit LRC is a more-radical and for most who play mages more game-altering notion.

And one that would alienate way more people than it would placate, and create more problems for the game than it fixes for the game -- and this product doesn't need any more problems.

-Galen's player