• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looks like there's another network outage

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just replaced my altered hosts file with the old one and patched the CC, it did download something, but I can't login.

I changed the hosts file again to include 63.117.27.168 login.ultimaonline.com and it let me login.

T

Tragger

Hi all

Our team is verifying the fix to the classic client right now - I will confirm here with good news as soon as I can.
A quick check of my resolver logs shows it's still asking for login.ultimaonline.com. A check of flow logs shows no connection attempts to the login server IP Addresses. This implies that the binary is checking for the dns without consulting login.cfg.

In case it wasn't IP Address friendly, I also created another domain which pointed to the right IP Address and tried that in login.cfg. It also failed to attempt the connection and instead tried to lookup login.ultimaonline.com.

This makes me wonder if all the free shards are broken now, as well. lol

Rowland Cox

Community Director | BioWare
VIP
Stratics Veteran
The fix is has not taken, and is proving extremely difficult to resolve without power to our facilities. I'll keep you informed.

Rowland Cox
Community Director BioWare

T

Tragger

The fix is has not taken, and is proving extremely difficult to resolve without power to our facilities. I'll keep you informed.
I don't suppose you could get whoever holds the registrar login for ultimaonline.com to login and point it to a different nameserver. Shucks, tell me what you want in the zone and I'll even throw one of my dns servers to host it.

I've already hijacked login.ultimaonline.com on my nameservers so that my users can login.

T

Tragger

I show that the DNS servers are at least temporarily online and reporting again.

login.ultimaonline.com. 86400 IN A 63.117.27.169
login.ultimaonline.com. 86400 IN A 63.117.27.168
ultimaonline.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.eamythic.com.
ultimaonline.com. 86400 IN NS ns.eamythic.com.
;; Received 148 bytes from 70.166.64.70#53(ns.eamythic.com) in 47 ms

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
I don't suppose you could get whoever holds the registrar login for ultimaonline.com to login and point it to a different nameserver. Shucks, tell me what you want in the zone and I'll even throw one of my dns servers to host it.

I've already hijacked login.ultimaonline.com on my nameservers so that my users can login.
Maybe that would hurt their ego :gee:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Had other stuff to do this afternoon and just now checked here and saw the most recent posts. Started up the classic client (without UO Assist, I haven't used it in a few years) and got the small patch and was able to log in fine. Closed the client, restarted it, and once again was able to log in okay. Don't know why I'm not having issues. Again, in Colorado, with Comcast cable. I have to leave for a bit and won't be back for another hour or so, but if there's something I can check on at that time to help, let me know. I haven't yet had to mess with the hosts file, so I'm still logging in same as yesterday and every day before that.

KaiSchober

Community Manager (Retired)
VIP
Stratics Veteran
The power in the office is restored, hopefully things will return to normal quickly now.

KaiSchober

Community Manager (Retired)
VIP
Stratics Veteran
I never encountered a 20 hours power outage before. Let's hope this never happens again but next time we'll have plans for even this situation.

Please remember, our Customer Support team hasn't been able to work. too. They are coming back in now, so ticket response times might still be high for a while.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The power in the office is restored, hopefully things will return to normal quickly now.
Good to hear. More importantly, though, I hope everyone is safe and out of the heat. You all are getting the heat wave that we had and I know how horrid it is, especially when your power is out for an extended period. Stay safe, cool, and hydrated. I'll be thinking about you all and hoping for the best for you.

T

Tragger

I never encountered a 20 hours power outage before. Let's hope this never happens again but next time we'll have plans for even this situation.

Please remember, our Customer Support team hasn't been able to work. too. They are coming back in now, so ticket response times might still be high for a while.
We had a snow storm cause massive issues in one area. Power was out for an entire week. The only thing running was the telephone system and DSL (though most houses had no power to be online anyways).

Had a tornado go through and wipe out power, telephone poles, etc in my local town. Except where we had no plant left for telephone service, we ran for days on every portable generator we could find.

Always expect the unexpected and have redundancy plans for your redundancy plans. And someone needs to have a serious discussion over why the only 2 name servers are sitting together instead of spread out. That is a serious no-no.

To be fair, stratics.com is also guilty of it, although if their DNS is unavailable, so is their website. Any service that has diverse servers requires nameservers that are also geographically diverse to avoid single points of failure as we saw this last day.

Tragger
Network Engineer
ISP

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remember: the co-location of the DNS servers is probably some idiot at EA Corporate's idea of "Cost-saving measures", not that of any of the network admins in the company.

T

Tragger

Remember: the co-location of the DNS servers is probably some idiot at EA Corporate's idea of "Cost-saving measures", not that of any of the network admins in the company.
Possibly, although there is no cost savings when you already own pipes and servers in geographically disperse locations. If you wanted to keep both of them together, having them both sit in the same network as the login servers would have been fine. Although a good layout would be to move one of the two login servers to where ns.eamythic.com is and then move ns2.eamythic.com over to where the login servers are. That way, if either location fails, the other can pickup both dns and login services (one hopes, although I suspect there's backend database systems and such that are also single points of failure in the login servers).

It's always possible this has more to do with the shifting of UO through different companies and control than anything else.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Tragger - I know that and you know that - but the shirts probably think "2 locations = two different people to monitor them", instead of someone already there handling hardware issues, and the software being handled remotely. And, yes, it probably has to do with different branches of EA being centered in different sites.

But, PLEASE, don't bring up that "Different companies" crap again. EA had owned Ultima for several YEARS before programming UO. IT might have gone through several different divisions of EA since then, as EA bought other independent studios, but UO's never been with any other company other than EA (not counting that oriental project that I've not heard anything about lately).

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
There's this idiotic FB game I play (I'm almost ashamed to admit that) called Zombie Island.

Anyways it's been having connection errors all day. Probably related to what's going on back east.

T

Tragger

But, PLEASE, don't bring up that "Different companies" crap again. EA had owned Ultima for several YEARS before programming UO. IT might have gone through several different divisions of EA since then, as EA bought other independent studios, but UO's never been with any other company other than EA (not counting that oriental project that I've not heard anything about lately).
I was thinking in regards to my own company with it's various divisions/sister companies, and the bureaucracy involved where one company controls some things and other companies control other things, despite all being under the same company. It wouldn't surprise me if EA has the same issues, where the group that handles game code, events, coding, etc is completely separate from the group that handles DNS and the registrar. In addition, in their acquisitions, they make changes to where things are, how they interlink, etc.

Consider, ultimaonline.com was registered in 1997, while eamythic.com (the domain handling the current nameservers) was registered in 2006. Both use [email protected] as the registration email, the same as ea.com itself. This implies that EA has a department which is solely responsible for all Domain registrations and management. It also means that at some point, the nameservers were changed to the current ns.eamythic.com.

In addition, ea.com, uo.com, uoherald.com all use ea's primary DNS servers (which are located at different locations based on traceroute). I'm guessing ultimaonline.com was pointed to eamythic's nameservers to allow separation of management of the dns records for that domain. I don't disagree that when this was done, they may not have had permission to have geographically separate servers for their department/company. However, it does show that changes were made during some of these "transitions". The inability of them to make a quick phone call and temporarily have the IP Address block routed out of another datacenter with a temporary nameserver also shows the complications. Yes, they may have their own engineers for the networks they control, but they don't control everything. I say they, as I'm not completely sure what subsidiary (or whatever you want to call it) handles UO today.

P

pbtong

BTW, according to news reports, a line of strong storms went through the Washington DC area (Fairfax is just across the Potomac, between George Mason University and the river, and to the East IIRC of the airport).

Storms were strong enough to damage DC mass transit trains, and leave 2 million without power - so weather's to blame for these difficulties.
Hope everyone is ok, and back to normal life as soon as possible. Kudos to the emergency response persons, and everyone who worked hard despite the adverse weather conditions which we have no control, and also to EA staff working hard to bring us back the portal to the lands of Britainnia :)

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you so much for bringing our world back to life.
And thank you also for keeping us in the loop about how things were going.
We do appreciate it!

Hope you all are staying cool, and don't have too much damage out there.
Just finally getting power up in our region too, although I was lucky and missed the worst of it in my area.

Thank you again and have a cold one on us!

Leila

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Added this line

63.117.27.168 login.ultimaonline.com

to

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

This will tell uo client that login.ultimaonline.com is at 63.117.27.168.

Edit:

Once we have a formal response from EA that the problem is fixed, please remove this line or comment it out.
That worked. Hooray! Thanks so much!

Botak

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't know if it's related. But when I change my auto dns to google public dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 it's working right away.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the ip provided in the quote for hosts file edit, is no longer valid

current one is

107.23.176.74 login.ultimaonline.com

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't been able to log in for hours .. but .. A few minutes ago, :banana: I tried rebooting the computer. That worked!

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Just transfering from Chessy to Pacific...could log in without any problem...coming from Central Europe...i can say it was never ever so lovely lagfree than the last 10 mins on..i hope its not because nobody else cannot login but the server migration...

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
actually there seems to be some problem on several other services (not just UO), for example I'm unable to open google.it, while other sites (like stratics) works perfectly :/

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When viewing this thread please keep in mind that the 2012 fix that the thread was created for is no longer valid. Only use the new address line in the file. Not both.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uotrace says 63.117.27.169 is ok but still cant login and my host is linked to this ip
that's the old address - the new one is 107.23.176.74 login.ultimaonline.com (Gilmour posted)
or 107.23.85.115 login.ultimaonline.com (Tardis posted)

Gushy Shorty

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Ok, so I check for updates to see if a fix was stated and I find this....

"
Posted by Tim Chappell | 2013 Mar 28 13:56 -0400 GMT
Update 3:00pm EDT: In order to resolve this issue a new client has been released. If you were having issues logging in, please make sure to run the new patch.

We are aware of the issues that some of our players are having with connecting to the game servers. We are currently working on the problem and hope to have a fix in place soon.

Thank you for your patience.
So I run the patch, take off the 107.23.176.74 login.ultimaonline.com (Gilmour posted) from above posts and could not get in. This time instead of getting stuck at the connecting screen I get to verifying account then this message "There is a problem communicating with origin. Please restart Ultima Online and try again." Still no luck with this, so I put the 107.23.176.74 login.ultimaonline.com (Gilmour posted) back and I I cannot get in game again. So, the fix from Gilmour fixed me......The fix from Tim Chappell broke me again. *cries*

Last edited: