• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looks like there's another network outage

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have the wrong IP Address.

It's 63.117.27.169 not 63.117.27.168. Other than that, the second pic was the correct one.

Also make sure you don't have # at the start of the line. # indicates a 'comment' which means the instruction on that line will be ignored

A

Adrenalin

I changed the IP Address and removed the #... still not connecting. It sucks being ignorant of such things. I appreciate your patience so far.

Z

Zyon Rockler

I have Windows 8 and it gave me a security flag so I made a new folder on the desktop, copied the file to the desktop, moved the file Hosts into the new folder, edited Hosts on the desktop, that by passes the security, then moved the newly edited Host file back into the ETC file and it worked.

I keep the new folder on the desktop with the old Hosts' file inside it and then made a text document under it to remind me of where I got it from.

In mine, I just went into Computer then opened up C, then opened up Windows, then opened up system 32, then opened up Drivers, then opened up ETC and then there was the file Hosts. When I tried to edit it, it told me access was denied and I had to change the text file to the any kind of file so I could see it. I don't think it sees it as a text file.

Then without putting the pound sign, put in the address. I just copied and pasted from Gilmour in his code box.

63.117.27.168 login.ultimaonline.com

I left my file open for now but it looks like i'm going to have to do this to 4 other computers so I can get the rest of my family into UO because theirs keep closing out as well but I can get in fine, there's still a touch of lag but seems like a good connection.

I

ipslore73

Anyone else having trouble connecting right now?
how long we will have to wait now some pepole dont know how to do what pepole are say do to get into game dont tell me uo are going to give us something usless again like a dead rabbit this time waste of time like last time they mess up and sit back and do nothing

A

Adrenalin

Thanks for the help guys. I just put it back to original, so hopefully what I've done won't affect normal login, once they are able to fix the issues.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Destructive storms roll through D.C. area; Power outages, damage reports throughout region (LIVE BLOG) - Capital Weather Gang - The Washington Post
Destructive storms roll through D.C. area; Power outages, damage reports throughout region (LIVE BLOG)
By Jason Samenow and Theodore Kim
12:54 AM UPDATE: What a night. And it looks like the storm’s effects could linger. Alas. With that, we’re wrapping up our live blog for the night. Thanks for following. And watch this space beginning early tomorrow for the very latest on the aftermath of the storms, power outages and the like. Stay safe and stay cool everyone! @TheoTypes out.
12:44 AM UPDATE: A last word from @CapitalWeather via Twitter:
“W/ mass power outages, no AC, & extreme heat Sat, please take it easy, hydrate & check on older adults. Serious heat illness risk.
Thanks to everyone for following our updates & sending reports/photos. Please be safe and check for more coverage Saturday.”
And a late feed from Michael Rosenwald:
“Storm apparently took down Amazon’s cloud in northern va. The cloud there serves Netflix, pinterest and Instagram, as well as other popular services. Those services reporting outages.
Amazon cloud outage takes down Netflix, Instagram, Pinterest, & more | VentureBeat
12:39 AM UPDATE: The latest from Pepco: 404K customers without power. Also, the National Weather Service has cancelled its current thunderstorm watch, which was slated to run through 1 a.m.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
make sure it is saved without an extension called just hosts, not hosts.txt .. notepad dont like this. might need to show extensions in the folder options to name it correct.

I

ipslore73

i have no idea how to change ip adress and do all this so i can play i think its bad that we are charged for this game that only has one server that is placed in one contry that runs everyone game from uk to usa come on start useing the money we pay to get back up servers placed all around the world so something like this wont happen again look at last time sorry for the mess up here have a dead hamster im loseing game time guys and loseing gold come on sort it out

Borric

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I live in the area of the storm, and it was quite a show last night.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have no idea how to change ip adress and do all this so i can play i think its bad that we are charged for this game that only has one server that is placed in one contry that runs everyone game from uk to usa come on start useing the money we pay to get back up servers placed all around the world so something like this wont happen again look at last time sorry for the mess up here have a dead hamster im loseing game time guys and loseing gold come on sort it out
Connection Fix , Now with screenshots. :)

I

ipslore73

main question is how long till pepole in the uk can get back on uo i have no idea what pepole are talking about open note pad run admin what the hell i turn on pc 2x uo and play thats it for me i dont know how to do all this pepole post picture run admin note pad second picture is wright one come on not every one know how to do this use cash get servers placed around the world and we would never have this problem any more

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From UO FB page:

Due to severe storms last night we are still experiencing some outages and our Customer Service ticket response may be delayed. Please bear with us. Thank you for your patience.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
this sould be on hearled not on FACEBOOK ? i refuse to go to that place its got to many ads and bugs virusea just to metiona few. PLZ move uo back to a uo site not a miner
That may be down as well too and perhaps only a cell phone with access to update FB for UO was available to the UO Community Team. This is why I passed along the information here, for those not wanting or able to access FB :)

F

Fishy McHook

That may be down as well too and perhaps only a cell phone with access to update FB for UO was available to the UO Community Team. This is why I passed along the information here, for those not wanting or able to access FB :)
ty vm for doing so but i been here since 5am its 1215pm now they must not know there system to well i just feel they sould post it here were we all see it not on a data miner they are tearing the commuity apart more and evry day

T

Tragger

I dunno but as soon as I'm able to log into UO today I think I'll go work on my Compassion Virtue ;)
I have lots of compassion for all the people without power. I'm somewhat lacking in it for poor network design with businesses, though. If 100% of their stuff was hosted in that one location, I might accept that they just run a game without redundancy. However, they have servers all over the world, yet the critical support services which use much less bandwidth and resources are just in one location. These are failures that mythic shouldn't have. A storm rolled through, and they have more to worry about than dealing with the issues it caused the games. If they had designed properly, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have lots of compassion for all the people without power. I'm somewhat lacking in it for poor network design with businesses, though. If 100% of their stuff was hosted in that one location, I might accept that they just run a game without redundancy. However, they have servers all over the world, yet the critical support services which use much less bandwidth and resources are just in one location. These are failures that mythic shouldn't have. A storm rolled through, and they have more to worry about than dealing with the issues it caused the games. If they had designed properly, this wouldn't be an issue at all.
I tend to agree with you on this. As paying customers, anyone without service is entitled to complain and shouldn't be expected to just 'understand.' I do hope after this more recent disruption, they investigate and do something more to fix the problem. In the meantime, I think it's safe to say that many feel more of a connection to the UO team than just a game and our reactions end up reflecting that :)

T

Tragger

I tend to agree with you on this. As paying customers, anyone without service is entitled to complain and shouldn't be expected to just 'understand.' I do hope after this more recent disruption, they investigate and do something more to fix the problem. In the meantime, I think it's safe to say that many feel more of a connection to the UO team than just a game and our reactions end up reflecting that :)
Completely, and I do hope everyone there is okay.I live in tornado alley. I definitely understand power outage, severe storms, and how much it effects peoples lives outside of work, play, and Internet. Spending 3 days in 100+ temps without power really, really sucks.

However, I know if the technically oriented of us don't point out the serious flaws, they may not investigate and look into it. I suspect that Mythic has more developers and content creators than they have networking engineering staff. I know many network admins that barely grasp DNS, so it is always possible that the powers that be at Mythic just don't understand the problem and how easy it is to fix.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eventually they will all timeout.

This one times out in 33,801 seconds from now.

login.ultimaonline.com. 33801 IN A 63.117.27.168
login.ultimaonline.com. 33801 IN A 63.117.27.169
Tragger, for the moment I'm still able to log in without problems. I'm in Colorado and using Comcast. Is there any way for me to find out when the IP address that my ISP has cached is going to time out and I will have to edit the hosts file to temporarily add that line with the login IP address? (I hope that's the proper way to ask what I'm after.)

T

Tragger

Tragger, for the moment I'm still able to log in without problems. I'm in Colorado and using Comcast. Is there any way for me to find out when the IP address that my ISP has cached is going to time out and I will have to edit the hosts file to temporarily add that line with the login IP address? (I hope that's the proper way to ask what I'm after.)
There are ways to check, but it can't be done to my knowledge with the basic windows tools. It requires 3rd party applications or using a non-windows operating system like linux.

EDIT: However, a lot of home routers have built in DNS caching. They sometimes run a cyclic type expire instead of expiring when the time to live says. This means that they always old the last X number of lookups you've done. In such a case, you may never break unless you power cycle your router.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are ways to check, but it can't be done to my knowledge with the basic windows tools. It requires 3rd party applications or using a non-windows operating system like linux.
Okay. Bummer. Guess I'll just be prepared to add a line to that file when the time comes. Already located it and opened it to make sure I could find it.

Thank you for all your assistance in this thread!

T

Tragger

Okay. Bummer. Guess I'll just be prepared to add a line to that file when the time comes. Already located it and opened it to make sure I could find it.

Thank you for all your assistance in this thread!
If you're lucky, it will just continue to work until they fix it. I know my customers that play don't have any issues as I am hijacking the domain in my ISP servers and handing out the necessary IP. It's the same type of fix as the hosts file fix, except I did it at an ISP level. I also know that some custom DNS servers ignore expire times and will hold the information for a very long time.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you're lucky, it will just continue to work until they fix it. I know my customers that play don't have any issues as I am hijacking the domain in my ISP servers and handing out the necessary IP. It's the same type of fix as the hosts file fix, except I did it at an ISP level. I also know that some custom DNS servers ignore expire times and will hold the information for a very long time.
Someday when I grow up I want to be as smart as you :cool:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well I would like to relay a HUGE Froggy Thank You to all those who posted how to fix this issue.

Frog would like to thank everyone especially those who've posted a step by step walk-through resolution that got Frog back into Frogs favorite game. *ribbit*

I can say Frog was VERY happy to be back in game. And so were a few others I directed here. But many thanks to all for the help.

A

Adrenalin

I was hoping the issue would have been fixed by now, or rerouted automatically.

What else could be wrong as to why I cannot seem to log in? Everyone else seems to be able to, where am I going wrong? I am using FiOS if this matters.

Rowland Cox

Community Director | BioWare
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Hi guys

The team is working hard to fix the issues after the storm last night. We are working to deploy a fix for the Classic client asap, with the enhanced client soon after that.

Please bear with us, and thank you for your patience.

Regards

Rowland Cox

Community Director
BioWare

A

Adrenalin

Thanks Rowland, that is all I could ask.

For the guys who were trying to help me earlier (I am just really curious and am interested in figuring it out) I did a tracert (which was succesful) and tried to enter the ip directly into my browser and for both of those IP's, from my browser it times out. Does this mean anything?

T

Tragger

Thanks Rowland, that is all I could ask.

For the guys who were trying to help me earlier (I am just really curious and am interested in figuring it out) I did a tracert (which was succesful) and tried to enter the ip directly into my browser and for both of those IP's, from my browser it times out. Does this mean anything?
No, the login servers aren't web servers.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I knew i shouldn't have eaten that sleeping hamster. It wasn't my fault though, they made it look like chocolate

T

Tragger

Hi guys

The team is working hard to fix the issues after the strom last night. We are working to deploy a fix for the Classic client asap, with the enhanced client soon after that.
Ouch. This implies that the domain being registered to [email protected], that you can't change the dns servers and have to actually patch the clients. :(

I hope y'all fix that condition for further problems.

T

Tragger

okay, what about the traceroute? Would the fact that it completed point towards something I did/didn't do as to why editing the IP didn't work?
If you did traceroute to the IP Address, it should work. The login servers are up and running. If you did traceroute to the name, it will only work if you computer has a modified hosts file or a cached version of the IP Address, as the DNS servers are still down.

Myphsar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could log in fine all day, and now i cant.
Im not messing with anything, so just an early night i think (yes i know its saturday)

T

Tragger

Could log in fine all day, and now i cant.
Im not messing with anything, so just an early night i think (yes i know its saturday)
it's fixed. they released a patch that changed the login.cfg to use the IP address instead of the DNS name.

Revert those changes!

T

Tragger

sorry, I'm afraid, it's not.
The classic client is. You do have to exit out and reload the patcher. They changed the login.cfg file to use the IP address instead of login.ultimaonline.com. I don't know about enhanced client.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The classic client is. You do have to exit out and reload the patcher. They changed the login.cfg file to use the IP address instead of login.ultimaonline.com. I don't know about enhanced client.
Funny, I've exited out and restarted it several times and I still can't get in.

T

Tragger

Funny, I've exited out and restarted it several times and I still can't get in.
That's really weird. The last time I started it, it loaded the patcher and updated 1 file. It worked perfectly fine after that. Not sure why your patcher isn't updating.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just tried logging in with classic client, having edited the file back. I have been using the enhanced client, so it was a fresh start up.
No go.

Rowland Cox

Community Director | BioWare
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Hi all

Our team is verifying the fix to the classic client right now - I will confirm here with good news as soon as I can.

Rowland Cox
Community Director BioWare