• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looks like there's another network outage

CryptisRavenous

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't get in either. Classic Client either (Not Responding) or "Cannot Connect to Ultima Online. Please try again later." Enhanced Client just closes itself after a few seconds after pressing login button.

P

pbtong

I can't log in.. tried for over an hour and the classic client keep saying retry again :(

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just woken up here and can't connect to any shard. Crashes out after entering password.

C

Colourme

Sigh....should we just expect 5 hours of ****ing downtime weekly now? This is beyond insane.

P

pbtong

Looks like a geographical issue? Anyone have the ip address of the login server?

C

Colourme

Yeah I'm just enraged because netflix also decided to go down at the same time. Wonder if it's related?

CryptisRavenous

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO Stratics *New* | Server IP Addresses

login.ultimaonline.com 63.117.27.168
login.ultimaonline.com 63.117.27.169

P

pbtong

UO Stratics *New* | Server IP Addresses

login.ultimaonline.com 63.117.27.168
login.ultimaonline.com 63.117.27.169
Thanks CryptisRavenous :)

Can't seem to ping login.ultimaonline.com, but ip is ok. So looks like a dns problem..

Added that line into hosts file and log in ok now! Thanks!:)

C

Colourme

I updated my login.cfg file with these IP's tried multiple different things with it none of them work. So honestly I don't think he did anything that now allows him to login.

LessaT

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Added this line

63.117.27.168 login.ultimaonline.com

to

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

This will tell uo client that login.ultimaonline.com is at 63.117.27.168.
It works! I'm in, thanks soooo much!

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I couldn`t log in either. Europa.

Added the ip adress manually and that worked for me as well, thanks. So, the log in serverhamster is sleeping on duty again?

CryptisRavenous

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you need to run notepad as admin to edit it, or copy the file to my documents, edit it in there and copy it back.
Thanks, opening notepad as admin, then opening host file did the trick! Thanks, Mapper and pbtong!

T

Tragger

Both ns.eamythic.com and ns2.eamythic.com (authoritative nameservers for login.ultimaonline.com) are in the same network and are unreachable from multiple locations on the Internet. If they aren't up relatively soon, the DNS caches will timeout and people will no longer be able to connect to the login servers unless they hardcode the IP locally.

Hopefully they not only fix it, but they also move a nameserver to one of the other networks so that we don't have this in the future. Expect some people to be able to login while others can't due to this issue. If it lasts long enough no one will be able to.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Both ns.eamythic.com and ns2.eamythic.com (authoritative nameservers for login.ultimaonline.com) are in the same network and are unreachable from multiple locations on the Internet. If they aren't up relatively soon, the DNS caches will timeout and people will no longer be able to connect to the login servers unless they hardcode the IP locally.

Hopefully they not only fix it, but they also move a nameserver to one of the other networks so that we don't have this in the future. Expect some people to be able to login while others can't due to this issue. If it lasts long enough no one will be able to.

Aye England here and i cant connect since 7:30 in the morning

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NZ, and haven't been able to log in since at least 330 this avo (about 3 and a half hours ago).

Second weekend in a row. Are there words for how much this bites? :bs:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
merging threads, 2 threads, same problem, one of them has a workaround in it.

T

Tragger

I added this to my windows hosts file to login:

63.117.27.169 login.ultimaonline.com

It appears the patch servers are hosted on cdn which uses different dns servers so this may be the only domain effected by this outage as far as UO is concerned.

3.5 hours ago sounds about right. Mine was slightly after that, but the DNS cache had to timeout which is based partially on the last successful attempt to request the domain.

Edit: and I'm merged right as I post the workaround. lol

T

Tragger

How do you add the ip to XP?
There's either a hosts or a hosts.sam file in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32. whichever folder it's in, create a file called hosts and add

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I added this to my windows hosts file to login:

It appears the patch servers are hosted on cdn which uses different dns servers so this may be the only domain effected by this outage as far as UO is concerned.

3.5 hours ago sounds about right. Mine was slightly after that, but the DNS cache had to timeout which is based partially on the last successful attempt to request the domain.

Edit: and I'm merged right as I post the workaround. lol
So without sounding Stupid, what a windows host file?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, according to news reports, a line of strong storms went through the Washington DC area (Fairfax is just across the Potomac, between George Mason University and the river, and to the East IIRC of the airport).

Storms were strong enough to damage DC mass transit trains, and leave 2 million without power - so weather's to blame for these difficulties.

T

Tragger

So without sounding Stupid, what a windows host file?
Hosts (file) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From another page:
Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Windows 7 appears to be the same as windows xp home as well.

The file stores IP to name information locally instead of asking the public internet servers. Windows has usually checked multiple locations for the file. A lot of computers don't have the hosts file create yet and there's a sample of it called hosts.sam. renaming the file to hosts and modifying it or just creating a file called hosts in that folder and putting the information in will do the trick.

Edit: Windows 7 appears to normally have hosts. Windows XP usually just has hosts.sam (the sample file)

T

Tragger

BTW, according to news reports, a line of strong storms went through the Washington DC area (Fairfax is just across the Potomac, between George Mason University and the river, and to the East IIRC of the airport).

Storms were strong enough to damage DC mass transit trains, and leave 2 million without power - so weather's to blame for these difficulties.
OUch, although not having properly redundant DNS servers when they obviously have multiple geographically disperse networks is part of the problem. Okay, I'm going to sleep. I'm being too technical and aggravated that int his day and age someone would not have better DNS redundancy than 2 servers sitting in the same room.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hosts (file) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From another page:
Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Windows 7 appears to be the same as windows xp home as well.

The file stores IP to name information locally instead of asking the public internet servers. Windows has usually checked multiple locations for the file. A lot of computers don't have the hosts file create yet and there's a sample of it called hosts.sam. renaming the file to hosts and modifying it or just creating a file called hosts in that folder and putting the information in will do the trick.

Edit: Windows 7 appears to normally have hosts. Windows XP usually just has hosts.sam (the sample file)
Cheers! Im in

Im due you a beer the next time your in the Pub

:banana:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note also there was a trojan a year or two back that created host files that redirected all the DNS searches for infected computers to the hackers' computers. There's still about a million computers infected (or looking there) and various law enforcement groups took custody of the servers a year or so ago. They've been running them since, but will be shutting them down this weekend, so if you're getting directed there, you'll lose the ability to traverse the internet when they go down. It might not be a bad idea to go look for the official government pages to detect if you have this problem, just to be sure. Odds are no one here was infected, but you never know....

Hosts files are also good for setting some annoying advertising companies to redirect to 0.0.0.0 if they are programmed to be a type that your adblocker doesn't block.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah - this is probably hitting all the businesses in the DC area offsite.

Here's a short quote from the AP Article

Fairfax County police spokeswoman Mary Ann Jennings said the woman in the Springfield, Va., area was killed during the height of the storm. Authorities were at the scene of the home but weren't able to immediately get inside, she said.
Jennings said police also were responding elsewhere to reports of a park police officer injured when his car was hit by a tree and an 18-year-old man struck by a downed power line.
As of 1 a.m. Saturday, Pepco was reporting 406,000 outages in the District of Columbia and Montgomery and Prince George's counties, Md.
"We have more than half our system down," said Pepco spokeswoman Myra Oppel. "This is definitely going to be a multi-day outage."

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Added this line

63.117.27.168 login.ultimaonline.com

to

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

This will tell uo client that login.ultimaonline.com is at 63.117.27.168.

Edit:

Once we have a formal response from EA that the problem is fixed, please remove this line or comment it out.
This help rocked!
You are da man!

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Both myself and my hubby have been able to get online after changing our DNS to Google's DNS. Thankfully, an easy fix.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do I actually add the line to etc/host? Do I change the name to
host63.117.27.168 login.ultimaonline.com? Because that didnt work

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no, you mustn't change the name of the file. You need to open the file in notepad and add the line to that.
read posts 21 and 25 in this thread.