• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

let's talk about the EC

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Or more importantly Pinco's UI why cant we have this or something like it for the CC. please don't tell me the code is too old if people can make Nintendo roms so i can play tecmo bowl online head to head there must be a way to make this happen

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
More importantly why are they still supporting CC when they could use that spare time to further improve a UI and graphical upgrade (it is CC users, get a grip!) alongside with Pinco that has more potential to attract new customers.

I'm not apologising btw for throwing in some fire wood!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
More importantly why are they still supporting CC when they could use that spare time to further improve a UI and graphical upgrade (it is CC users, get a grip!) alongside with Pinco that has more potential to attract new customers.

I'm not apologising btw for throwing in some fire wood!
Idk, not a fan of the CC either, but as long as 50% or even more of the players prefer it, I can see why it's kept alive.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If it was possible to have made Pinco's UI for the CC I'm sure someone would have already done it. The Dev team we have now just don't have the time to do this. A lot of veteran CC users wouldn't want that UI anyway, maybe you should make a poll? :p

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
A lot of veteran CC users wouldn't want that UI anyway
90% of the veteran's tried it on first release, i'll admit it was a terrible upgrade at first but now and after many years and with Pinco's exceptional grafting it deserves to be undoubtedly the main client as there will be nothing but a load of positives that will help the game for the future. Everyone being united under one platorm will be much better for bug fixing and upgrading of the game, aswell as helping Pinco more with bugs and possible funding/Broadsword partnership.
I'd really like to hear some quality reasons as to why CC needs to stay, that's the kicker!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Deadly Serious I'm not disagreeing, I have used the EC with Pinco's for over two years, but I know a lot of veteran players that won't stop using the CC until it's taken away. The poll on the official forum showed an almost 50/50 split on clients, I think Broadsword are unlikely to want to upset just over half their player-base by just removing one client.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@ShriNayne ye I hear you, making a poll though at any point is pretty much pointless, this isn't even a topic where dev's ask "what do you want" it's a case of "this is more modern, it will generate more interest, you will all use it!". Although how can you predict what a "veteran" will do I guess, it's quite questionable how much more of a user count UO can generate if they updated the game faster and bringing more changes as a result of sticking only with EC & Pinco, is it worth losing 20% of veteran playerbase for 20% more new customers, for me yes but what bright new idea/revamp/new magic school and promotional offers/new shop items will ensure a decent wave of new consumer comes in.

All I know is for certain, that anyone that hasn't experienced UO will take one look at CC and pretty much be like in their mind "I don't think I can take this seriously because of the FPS and the graphics" (the fps is the worst thing about CC, especially to people who love 60fps games), but if I showed a friend EC with Pinco's running at 60fps with many convient options and customisations that can be tailored for them + better graphics they would be far more likely to give the game a shot. I think my fustrations are warranted, I want to at least see this game have a bit of an attraction, atm it's 50% retirement home and 50% somewhat worthy of being in the top sandbox/real mmo's you can play today!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I do understand your frustration and I often feel the same! The problem is that even if you got people to try something new with an open mind (I don't mean giving it an hour!) then you would find half of them still want CC graphics with the EC UI and the rest still won't budge at all.The hatred for the EC is very strong and many people won't even look at it, why should they bother when they still have the CC? I used to be in that camp myself so I know how it is.... :D

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has been discussed and commented by Mesanna before. The CC code is too old, and some of the codes - they cant touch without breaking other things. Her words, - was it was easier to rebuild the complete code than try fix it. And that is never gonna happend...

-What they can do, is make a 'uo assist' alike program that has a overlay. That has never been answered, but that is a easy way to work around it.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EC would be great if they didn't try to remake all the critters. Perfect example is the hiryu. It looks horrendous in ec. I think if they had just made the mobs HD instead of re-designing them EC would be much more accepted.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I do understand your frustration and I often feel the same! The problem is that even if you got people to try something new with an open mind (I don't mean giving it an hour!) then you would find half of them still want CC graphics with the EC UI and the rest still won't budge at all.The hatred for the EC is very strong and many people won't even look at it, why should they bother when they still have the CC? I used to be in that camp myself so I know how it is.... :D
I haven't played anything but the CC since the 3-D client was launched. I tried it then and hated how the paper doll looked. I am one of those dedicated to the CC. However, since I have not given it a try in a very long time, I'm going to give it a go tonight and see what I think. I'm happy to convert if it's much better than when it originally launched. When I mean originally, I mean it was probably UO Third Dawn. So it's been a very long time since I've even looked at anything other than the Classic Client.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really tried to like the EC. But first impressions killed it. I logged in, and sat on the head (sideways) of my ossie. The landscape looked like watercolor paints that had been rained on and then rubbed. It sucked. There were a few improvements, yes. I found it useful for doing spawns because of the targeting ability to target nearest mob while ignoring friendlies, so it was much easier and faster than the CC for spawns, didn't have to worry about accidently hitting a mate =)

But even that, for quite a while now, has been taken away, because for some reason they chose to change Shadowguard and piss people off, rather than working on the ghost mob bug. seems now, at most spawns, target nearest gets you an already dead creature targetted, so you have to move a few steps closer to the live ones-sometimes taking you out of range of the people you are trying to heal.

EC- kudos to those who love it. Bugs and all.

But if I'm gonna have to play with bugs, I'll stick with what I am familiar with. Want me to change?? Create something that makes me WANT to change.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I really tried to like the EC. But first impressions killed it. I logged in, and sat on the head (sideways) of my ossie. The landscape looked like watercolor paints that had been rained on and then rubbed. It sucked. There were a few improvements, yes. I found it useful for doing spawns because of the targeting ability to target nearest mob while ignoring friendlies, so it was much easier and faster than the CC for spawns, didn't have to worry about accidently hitting a mate =)

But even that, for quite a while now, has been taken away, because for some reason they chose to change Shadowguard and piss people off, rather than working on the ghost mob bug. seems now, at most spawns, target nearest gets you an already dead creature targetted, so you have to move a few steps closer to the live ones-sometimes taking you out of range of the people you are trying to heal.

EC- kudos to those who love it. Bugs and all.

But if I'm gonna have to play with bugs, I'll stick with what I am familiar with. Want me to change?? Create something that makes me WANT to change.
I'm fairly certain that my original interaction with the first "enhanced" client in UO is what made me not want to play WoW for a long time. I logged into the trial version of WoW and it reminded me of the original 3-D client for UO and I was instantly turned off. I got over that when I saw that WoW's graphics quality was SO much better and ended up playing WoW for a long time. It doesn't compare to UO in other ways as evident by the fact that I stopped playing WoW and am back to UO using the CC. I don't think any game will ever be as good as UO but it would be nice if the bugs could be worked out. We need a rich investor to buy the game and pump tons of resources into the game. Any lotto winners out there want to buy a game?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Every time I heard anyone mention the EC I just assumed it looked like Kingdom Reborn where the whole world had gone vague and drained of colour. I didn't want to play in a client like that, so I refused to try it. When I finally did get around to trying it properly I found it wasn't like that at all. It isn't as sharp as the CC but it was a lot better than the KR client. The Hiryu is a bit weird looking I admit, in fact I had no idea what it was!
WoW is almost the only MMO I have never tried, I just didn't like the odd cartoonish appearance of it and giant comedy weapons are not my thing either!:p

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Every time I heard anyone mention the EC I just assumed it looked like Kingdom Reborn where the whole world had gone vague and drained of colour. I didn't want to play in a client like that, so I refused to try it. When I finally did get around to trying it properly I found it wasn't like that at all. It isn't as sharp as the CC but it was a lot better than the KR client. The Hiryu is a bit weird looking I admit, in fact I had no idea what it was!
WoW is almost the only MMO I have never tried, I just didn't like the odd cartoonish appearance of it and giant comedy weapons are not my thing either!:p
I definitely agree with your assessment of WoW. At first I used the word "cartoonish" as well. Once I started playing it, the game really proved to be absolutely beautiful. I wanted to live there. However, I'm not a fan of the proportions of armor and weapons either. I think they look ridiculous. The landscape though....UO could learn something from them on that front. I would love to be able to explore Sosaria if viewed with the same quality and point of view as WoW. I'd love to explore my house from that first person view!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or more importantly Pinco's UI why cant we have this or something like it for the CC. please don't tell me the code is too old if people can make Nintendo roms so i can play tecmo bowl online head to head there must be a way to make this happen
The code is ancient like hell, any changes to CC code will do more harm than good...
The nintendo roms are emulated or they remake the game entirely using the old sprites (most of those games are so simple that you can remake them quite simply with the modern tools), so you can't compare it to CC.

The real problem is that they fell asleep on the code at the beginning, UO was the only mmorpg at the time and the EA was happy to take all the money they could without spending a dime in upgrades. The thing they should have done was to keep reworking the client AND server code every year or so, and keeping it updated so it would have never ended up like it is now. Games like wow, they rework BIG chunk of code in the server and the client at every expansion, so they can improve graphics and performance with the new technologies. In UO that never happened because there were never enough people to do it, they always focused in adding more contents using the same technology they had... unfortunately this is the core of EA games policy: make as much as you can without spending a dime, and if something goes wrong just let the project die.

The current team has done all they can, but both clients are in disastrous conditions, and I can only imagine the state of the server code... the best thing to do in the current state would be to start over with a new server and client, but the cost would be ENORMOUS, and I highly doubt they have this kind of resources available...
So in the end is like if you are a janitor and you inherits a big castle in ruin that noone wants to buy and you can't afford to repair.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Too many bad points for me, I don't actually consider it a proper mmo due to a number of factors.

- Party matching and instancing just completely ruins any feeling of being in an eviroment that should have life, WoW would do better being a dungeon maker / playing game and contest with league of legends!
- Constantly creating new content completely drowns out older items/areas
- So much questing that it has to be a solo player game, the only multiplayer aspect is that you share your experiences of doing the quests with others?
- Fighting mechanics are heavily spam/combo skills focused which if you want to be good at takes your attention away from enjoying the sittation you are in
- There is so much "graphical clutter" when part of raids, it looks like a complete mess! Even when I attempted try for a top raid guild using UI add on's and customized the GUI to my own preference I still couldn't stand what I was seeing, basically if you've played any crisp/clean Korean mmo's (all of them are...) then WoW is....just a mess end of.

Easy difficulty (until raiding/hard instances), heavily story/quest/lore focused, a ridiculous amount content and items to explore, what more could a casual user want, never a boring moment...christ xD I can't stand the fact it is branded an mmo, a new type of genre 'instance factory', yes!

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Too many bad points for me, I don't actually consider it a proper mmo due to a number of factors.

- Party matching and instancing just completely ruins any feeling of being in an eviroment that should have life, WoW would do better being a dungeon maker / playing game and contest with league of legends!
- So much questing that it has to be a solo player game, the only multiplayer aspect is that you share your experiences of doing the quests with others?
- Fighting mechanics are heavily spam/combo skills focused which if you want to be good at takes your attention away from enjoying the sittation you are in
- There is so much "graphical clutter" when part of raids, it looks like a complete mess! Even when I attempted try for a top raid guild using UI add on's and customized the GUI to my own preference I still couldn't stand what I was seeing, basically if you've played any crisp/clean Korean mmo's (all of them are...) then WoW is....just a mess end of.

Easy difficulty (until raiding/hard instances), heavily story/quest/lore focused, a ridiculous amount content and items to explore, what more could a casual user want, never a boring moment...christ xD I can't stand the fact it is branded an mmo, a new type of genre 'instance factory', yes!
You're right. When I first played WoW, I loved that I could enter a dungeon and not worry about some idiot popping out of nowhere and taking credit for my kill and decreasing my fame/karma gain because of a fatal stab. I also loved that I could go to a dungeon without worrying about having to wait for someone else to leave before I could hunt in my favorite spot. That being said, there really isn't any such thing as hunting in your favorite dungeon spot in WoW. You have to leave the dungeon and reset just to get anything to respawn. I like that in UO, I can just go hunt my favorite monsters for hours if I want to. While I am typically a solo player, I still love being able to be around other players. I was happy when garrisons were added in Warlords of Draenor but once inside my garrison, I was reminded that it was NOTHING like a custom house in UO. Nobody can see it unless they are in my party and mine doesn't look any different from anyone else's garrison.

I also agree on the content. It's almost like a race to finish the content of a new expansion before the next one comes out and makes all my new gear irrelevant. It's also always been ridiculous to me that in WoW, a woodland creature is never the same woodland creature everywhere. A woodland creature I can easily defeat in one zone is instant death in another zone, simply because that zone is meant for higher level players. That's never made sense to me at all.

I could probably spend all day comparing UO to WoW. UO beats WoW any day in my opinion. I just wish UO had been treated better from the start from a development/graphics viewpoint. If it had, I have no doubt it would still be at the top.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

the real problem of WOW, especially the latest expansions, is the heavy-farming content that you are FORCED to do or you just fall behind and can't partecipate to any end-game content... Basically you need to spend no less than 3-4 hours a day just to have something, while if you want to be a top player you need to play 10+ hours a day farming just to keep up with 1 character... also most of the stuff requires an insane amount of luck, and high-end content requires a party really well made with badass people or you'll just wipe endlessly :D
The good thing about WoW is the story, and all the voice-over and the cinematics that makes the game immersive. But the main difference between WoW and UO is that in WoW you are an hero and part of the world history, while in UO you are just a guy like in real life and whatever you do things will always be pretty much the same :p

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Windarian I did have a play of that Garrisons for a bit, was a bit of fun progressing with it but ye ultimately what is it for...just ends up being a herb collecting garden + few other benefits. Yes UO having actual property, another massive factor for me in UO is crafting and items, actual crafting, items that have been relatable for years with all the different stats everyone's weapon has unique flair and UO has a ton of customization too, UO just has so many of the basics covered it trounces most mmo's. If every new mmo developer had a good taste of UO i'm sure the state of the mmo genre would be much better.

Archeage should of been the current king, did so many things right, it was that same great feeling I had like when I was super young playing FF7 (music, sounds and areas were so immersive!), but sadly it just had to show how p2w delevopers and publishers can completely kill any experience. Hopefully another kind of Archeage will come out, Legends of Aria looks alirght but unless they make the gameplay super enjoyable it barely makes me want to leave UO and tbh I'm hoping Broadsword pull another curve ball like the pet rework, they are going to need within a years time I think!

while in UO you are just a guy like in real life and whatever you do things will always be pretty much the same :p
I'm still "that guy" raising Cu's, being a "hero" sounds way too adventurous tho right? xD
Being a hero is so bloody basic anyway! it's like being a fan of Superman, don't most guys want to "just be guys" and do the stuff they can't do in r/l, like if you have a disagreement with someone, you can just kick their ass, a hero can't do that!

Last edited:

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
the real problem of WOW, especially the latest expansions, is the heavy-farming content that you are FORCED to do or you just fall behind and can't partecipate to any end-game content... Basically you need to spend no less than 3-4 hours a day just to have something, while if you want to be a top player you need to play 10+ hours a day farming just to keep up with 1 character... also most of the stuff requires an insane amount of luck, and high-end content requires a party really well made with badass people or you'll just wipe endlessly :D
The good thing about WoW is the story, and all the voice-over and the cinematics that makes the game immersive. But the main difference between WoW and UO is that in WoW you are an hero and part of the world history, while in UO you are just a guy like in real life and whatever you do things will always be pretty much the same :p
Agreed on all points. If you happen to join a raid of pros, they end up kicking you out for daring to be a novice. I also feel that the crafting system is pretty dumb. It takes no time at all to max out whatever crafting skills you have but if you want to keep leveling your craft, you have to also be a fighter. I can't imagine not being able to max out a crafting skill in UO without also having maxed out my warrior skills. I like the option of having a pure crafter or a pure adventurer who just wants to wander the woods. On my first account back in 1999-2000, I maxed out Camping just for the GM Ranger title it used to have and because I figured that very few people had done it. THAT's the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back to UO. Sometimes I don't want to be a hero. I spent about four hours a few nights ago just destroying my house and redesigning it. Then I spent another few hours decorating one floor of it. Then I spent several hours getting to GM Carpentry and am close on GM Tinkering just because I want to build my own furniture and add-ons without having to spend a ton of money at vendors. Until last night, I hadn't hunted a monster in over a week even though I've played every night. I love that freedom.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Windarian I did have a play of that Garrisons for a bit, was a bit of fun progressing with it but ye ultimately what is it for...just ends up being a herb collecting garden + few other benefits. Yes UO having actual property, another massive factor for me in UO is crafting and items, actual crafting, items that have been relatable for years with all the different stats everyone's weapon has unique flair and UO has a ton of customization too, UO just has so many of the basics covered it trounces most mmo's. If every new mmo developer had a good taste of UO i'm sure the state of the mmo genre would be much better.

Archeage should of been the current king, did so many things right, it was that same great feeling I had like when I was super young playing FF7 (music, sounds and areas were so immersive!), but sadly it just had to show how p2w delevopers and publishers can completely kill any experience. Hopefully another kind of Archeage will come out, Legends of Aria looks alirght but unless they make the gameplay super enjoyable it barely makes me want to leave UO and tbh I'm hoping Broadsword pull another curve ball like the pet rework, they are going to need within a years time I think!

I'm still "that guy" raising Cu's, being a "hero" sounds way too adventurous tho right? xD
Being a hero is so bloody basic anyway! it's like being a fan of Superman, don't most guys want to "just be guys" and do the stuff they can't do in r/l, like if you have a disagreement with someone, you can just kick their ass, a hero can't do that!
True story. Everyone can be a hero in UO if they want to but sometimes, people just want to run around and light kindling or sail a boat to explore the various islands around Britannia.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

yeah I'm not saying that being the hero is a good or bad thing, is just a different gameplay... being forced to be the hero just remove any moral choices that you could make, sometimes could be fun to play as the villain for example :D
While in UO you have more freedom in the matter is also limited. For example when you play the EM events, you follow the side the EM is leading you to. You can't choose to ally yourself with the villains. :p

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't even know if it would be possible but surely at this stage the best thing they could do would be dump the classic client graphics into the EC user interface.

This way you would get all the nice EC features and the original graphics to keep all the old folks happy. The graphics in BOTH clients are pretty terrible so the whole argument about which looks better is moot.

I myself play the EC. This is because of the features it offers to make playing the game more bearable. If I am grinding up skills I will use the classic client with a naughty program to run some scripts to train while I go and get on with life rather than having to keep do the same boring, mundane things involved with training over and over again.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't even know if it would be possible but surely at this stage the best thing they could do would be dump the classic client graphics into the EC user interface.

This way you would get all the nice EC features and the original graphics to keep all the old folks happy. The graphics in BOTH clients are pretty terrible so the whole argument about which looks better is moot.

I myself play the EC. This is because of the features it offers to make playing the game more bearable. If I am grinding up skills I will use the classic client with a naughty program to run some scripts to train while I go and get on with life rather than having to keep do the same boring, mundane things involved with training over and over again.
What are the quick and dirty pros and cons between the two UO clients? What features are available with the EH that aren't available with the CC?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What features are available with the EH that aren't available with the CC?
  • Grid mode on containers to make looting and looking into ANY container way faster.
  • The ability to search in a container
  • The map (it is way bigger and shows place names, banks etc..)
  • The ability to zoom in and out of the game world
  • The macro system
  • Mobile bars
  • The ability to view ALL items equipped on my own paperdoll and other players
  • Auto loot of containers
  • The ability to split the chat box into different sections for easy viewing
  • HUE ID tool
  • The little icons on health bars to heal/cure etc (and it will show when its time for world of death)
  • Faster moving
  • The ability to swap suits in an instant. Wear normal suit then I can swap to a luck suit when whatever I'm fighting is about to die.
  • Can filter object handles on CTRL + SHIFT
  • Spaces in pet names
  • The ability to set visual macros to equip different slayer weapons/spellbooks. I think you can do this in the CC but i'm not 100% sure.
  • The ability to switch to "legacy" containers and paperdolls if you want them to look like the classic client ones.
  • Menus for crystal portals.
  • The character sheet has way more information.
There is a few I can think of to start with.

Last edited:

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
  • Grid mode on containers to make looting and looking into ANY container way faster.
  • The ability to search in a container
  • The map (it is way bigger and shows place names, banks etc..)
  • The ability to zoom in and out of the game world
  • The macro system
  • Mobile bars
  • The ability to view ALL items equipped on my own paperdoll and other players
  • Auto loot of containers
  • The ability to split the chat box into different sections for easy viewing
  • HUE ID tool
  • The little icons on health bars to heal/cure etc (and it will show when its time for world of death)
  • Faster moving
  • The ability to swap suits in an instant. Wear normal suit then I can swap to a luck suit when whatever I'm fighting is about to die.
  • Can filter object handles on CTRL + SHIFT
  • Spaces in pet names
  • The ability to set visual macros to equip different slayer weapons/spellbooks. I think you can do this in the CC but i'm not 100% sure.
  • The ability to switch to "legacy" containers and paperdolls if you want them to look like the classic client ones.
There is a few I can think of to start with.
That's enough to convince me to give it a try. I definitely like the comment about the map and faster moving. I'll check it out. Thanks!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's enough to convince me to give it a try. I definitely like the comment about the map and faster moving. I'll check it out. Thanks!
I think one of the things that puts people off is how its setup when you first launch it.

You need to go into the user settings and set everything up the way you like it. If you need a hand feel free to PM me and I would be happy to help.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think one of the things that puts people off is how its setup when you first launch it.

You need to go into the user settings and set everything up the way you like it. If you need a hand feel free to PM me and I would be happy to help.
I appreciate the offer!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Set up an EC users support group! If my husband hadn't been there to help me I might have given up very quickly as it's a bit overwhelming all that change at once.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Auto-run and auto-dodging around obstacles are nice too! :)

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I understand the code being old etc but it seems that non legal shards have done amazing things couldn't EA seize their code and apply it as needed? if this is a taboo topic i apologize....

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I understand the code being old etc but it seems that non legal shards have done amazing things couldn't EA seize their code and apply it as needed? if this is a taboo topic i apologize....
LOL I was told on here one time they didn't use the UO code, they used an emulator.
Whatever
Why doesn't BS get an emulator then LOL

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
custom shard does thing with their server, what you see is usually a set of gumps created server side. The problem of doing that is that every update has to send the entire gump, and the bigger is the gump the more you're going to lag, also it will flicker at every update :p
If the devs wants the custom shards code they can take it at any time since the custom server is open source, and probably has more potential than the ancient server software they use now :D

Also since I've used a custom server personally I can tell you that they have the client as limitation, since you can't change the client (unless you use your own client, but at that point you have your own game).

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah I'm not saying that being the hero is a good or bad thing, is just a different gameplay... being forced to be the hero just remove any moral choices that you could make, sometimes could be fun to play as the villain for example :D
While in UO you have more freedom in the matter is also limited. For example when you play the EM events, you follow the side the EM is leading you to. You can't choose to ally yourself with the villains. :p
You can on Siege.. ;)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

True, the setup is not intuitive. For example, I never understood why the default in EC is nothing happens when you click on your character until you happen to find and change that setting.

greenwolf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The one thing I always hear when this is brought up is graphics. "The hiryu looks like this" and "the swamp dragon is missing legs". Lets not forget the one that never gets old "it gives me headaches". The way I see it the game is 20 + years old and you not only want to complain about the graphics, but you want to compare the graphics to the 20+ year old client that the devs can't do anything with. What EC is really about is the added features. That's why everyone uses UOA. When they had that virus scare everyone was pissed, because of the features that UOA provides and they couldn't use them. Why pay and extra $15 for UOA when I can get even more added features for free using the EC.

The thing is we have already been down this road before. KR was the same way people complained about it not staying true to UO and this and that. Fast forward a couple years and now we hear everyone saying how nice KR really was...I guess you really can't teach an old dog new tricks...and history really does repeat itself.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@greenwolf you are not wrong and even though I disliked KR on the whole, some things were really beautiful in it, a few of the monsters looked fantastic. Maybe if we had got KR we would have more players today, maybe not, I guess we'll never know. My feeling now is that they should just have given us KR, no more CC, no choice and I bet a lot of people like me would have just got used to it. In some ways the players of UO are their own worst enemies.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
To me KR looked like one of those paintings where it's all made of tiny dots... muted and disgusting... it was nearly impossible to tell trees from grass so trying to navigate in that was so hard on the eyes you wanted to just quit in under 10 min...

Their "fix" for that was even worse by putting the old CC graphics in without giving them any polish or anything zooming in and out of ancient pixels is disgusting... not to mention much of the stuff is so tiny in the backpack you can't really tell what it is.

The problem was they hired some really POOR artists to do the art for KR... It had some really super awesome features much of which were scrapped long before it got started which IMO is a huge loss to everyone.

First off you were able to co-own all your characters to your houses didn't matter how many... now we have that finally but it's limited to just 10 Co-owners... Ok for most but for many of us with well over 10 accounts... not so great. Most of my characters then are stuck being just a friend. Meaning my "friends" can't have any access to my homes.

As far as the differences between the CC and the EC go most all of the differences weigh better on the EC...

However, the EC does need some improvement such as the Circle of Transparency... it's tiny in the EC and unlike the CC you can't adjust it's size AT ALL.

One thing many people may not realize as well is that if someone in the CC builds a roof and then someone in the EC goes to change something... they completely have to redo the roof since the EC and the CC don't have the same height ranges on the roof tiles. This also makes it difficult to build a roof using the EC because it actually sits about .5 of a step off from the foundation of the house itself... so it often with flag as improperly placed if you aren't careful.

And yes the Hiryu in the EC will make you want to gouge out your eyes... poor thing looks rather like a plucked turkey or something with a ridiculous tail rudder on it. I did, however, bring this up to the new artist at the 20th-anniversary party where she said she was looking for a project... I told her that fixing that monstrosity would go a LONG way to making more people able to stand the EC graphics. Misk even showed her the difference in the two clients and she was quite confused as to why they looked so vastly different. I'm hoping she is taking me up on that task.

There are a number of other things that are annoying with the EC but they are improving all the time. Pinco does a LOT to make it better all the time.

Now if anyone wants assistance or has questions with the EC w/Pinco's and really does want to actually try it in earnest... I'd be happy to help just PM me and I'll talk you through things in Discord. I do insist on using Discord as I'm not about to try to help someone set things up by typing everything out...

However, that is subject to my availability and your patience with me... And you also have to be wary as I have ADD/OCD and tend to not stay on a subject long.

Anymore of late I've grown frustrated with the grindy nature of UO and having everything pretty much killed for fun... so I've been playing one of those Korean games... Black Desert Online... where I've been enjoying myself for the last couple of months. And though it too can be grindy in nature it's at least pretty... Very pretty.

Syncros

Adventurer
With Devs anything anyone else worked on is "old code" and not to be messed with. Sure UO looks dated (because it is) but its also still can be fun to play.

I think the problem is the 2 distinct graphic styles and the devs trying to mix them. IMO they should be going for the old style graphics but made with 3d tools so they arent sitting there making each frame. Also dropping the CC so they can focus more on improving the EC.

Comparing WoW to UO is like comparing an apple to a raisin. If you also want to compare what is better you just have to look at the subscribers.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
With Devs anything anyone else worked on is "old code" and not to be messed with. Sure UO looks dated (because it is) but its also still can be fun to play.

I think the problem is the 2 distinct graphic styles and the devs trying to mix them. IMO they should be going for the old style graphics but made with 3d tools so they arent sitting there making each frame. Also dropping the CC so they can focus more on improving the EC.

Comparing WoW to UO is like comparing an apple to a raisin. If you also want to compare what is better you just have to look at the subscribers.
I disagree with that last statement. Popular and better are not the same thing. We've seen in other areas how popular does not always mean prevailing. They shouldn't be compared as one is better than the other. If I want a truly unique experience, I think UO is better. If I want a beautiful gameplay experience, I think WoW is better. It all depends on what you're looking for.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
CC is total junk. They should have stopped supporting that client with the introduction of KR. Huge mistake by Calvin Crowner who has Mesanna whispering in his ear.

Again...Mesanna 'the Jurassic' is the worth thing ever to happen to UO.

Jurassic UO! Maybe they should rename the game...CC client is good for one thing only and we call know what that is...