• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

let's talk about the EC

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
CC is total junk. They should have stopped supporting that client with the introduction of KR. Huge mistake by Calvin Crowner who has Mesanna whispering in his ear.

Again...Mesanna 'the Jurassic' is the worth thing ever to happen to UO.

Jurassic UO! Maybe they should rename the game...CC client is good for one thing only and we call know what that is...
We all have our opinions.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
KR was forced upon the public early (while still in the early stages of Beta) by EA because EA Japan foolishly committed to having boxes on shelves by a wholly unrealistic (read: delusional) date. Thus Mythic was forced into releasing something that wasn't even remotely ready to go gold.

KR was released in a horribly buggy state, then hastily retroverted into the EC when the public saw the poor quality of (specifically) the item art. Many items were completely unrecognizable and/or were unnecessary, radical diversions from their CC counterparts. (I remember not being able to recognize WTF a pitcher of milk was just from the graphic.) And yes, the foliage blended into the terrain a bit too much.

Sadly, the choice to slap the CC graphics into the client was made...and then implemented with only a cursory acknowledgment that upsizing mid-90's era sprites wasn't the best idea. Fortunately, a lot of those issues have been ironed out...for the most part.

Personally, I'd rather they used mixed assets: Use the KR building and plant art, the EC terrain and mobs (after fixing several to better reflect their CC originals) and the CC item art. Then, I want them to make it all HD (yes, I know, the CC item art would have to be redone) At this point, they could stop using sprites as everything is built in 3D anyway, and UO could move into the mid-aughts (you can still remain an isometric perspective while being 3D).

One can dream...

Realistically, I'd like the devs to dedicate one publish cycle a year to the EC and really tackle the major bugs and annoyances. Make the client solid, reduce the unnecessary overhead and make sure everything works.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... <large snip> ...Anymore of late I've grown frustrated with the grindy nature of UO and having everything pretty much killed for fun... so I've been playing one of those Korean games... Black Desert Online... where I've been enjoying myself for the last couple of months. And though it too can be grindy in nature it's at least pretty... Very pretty.
I just looked at Black Desert. The trailers on the web site are the actual game graphics? World map seems huge as well! Gonna have to take a closer look.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmmm I wouldn't want the CC graphics if it meant losing the zoom ability, I like the CC graphics but the zoom is handy. :oops:
And if they gave us a choice as to which graphics we wanted to see on our screen and you picked EC then you should have the zoom but if you picked CC then that option should be blocked.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The change that I would like to the CC would be to restore the whole background every screen refresh instead of doing "restore dirty rectangles."
This change would fix the whole " leaves trails all over the screen " thing, and reduce lag for crowded situations.
I bet you could do this in a day, @Bleak.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The change that I would like to the CC would be to restore the whole background every screen refresh instead of doing "restore dirty rectangles."
This change would fix the whole " leaves trails all over the screen " thing, and reduce lag for crowded situations.
I bet you could do this in a day, @Bleak.
since we're speaking about impossible things why don't you also ask for winning lottery ticked and a real castle? :lol:

What you're asking cannot be done, because the map doesn't exist by itself and it has to be drawn based on where you are. Increasing the visible area would mean to increase the amount of data you need to get every step you take, which means more lag. If you are thinking about having the whole map completely drawn by default, it would be crazy, beause drawing all that tiles would require an insane amount of memory and time... unless we're back to the client made with lego bricks, in that case it would work :lol:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
KR was released in a horribly buggy state, then hastily retroverted into the EC when the public saw the poor quality of (specifically) the item art.
People really think KR was good? OMG here are some examples I found on my photo bucket account.

Nevermind there are Third dawn. :vomit

upload_2018-7-13_20-7-57.png

upload_2018-7-13_20-15-10.png

upload_2018-7-13_20-19-17.png

upload_2018-7-13_20-20-2.png

upload_2018-7-13_20-23-48.png

upload_2018-7-13_20-25-25.png

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just looked at Black Desert. The trailers on the web site are the actual game graphics? World map seems huge as well! Gonna have to take a closer look.
If you are into PvP they have PvP everywhere... so long as you go over level 49... You have the option to stay at 49. The crafting is every bit as complicated as UO... they have a trade system that is insane. I'm still trying to figure it all out and the map is huge.

There is NO recalling and no gating... so you go everywhere either on foot or they have Horses (with horse breeding which is amazing), camels and Elephants. The mini map is cool but if you are in the desert you get NO MAP. Which is really fun and challenging.

They are always tweaking the skills and stuff my only issues with it are it is sort of weird in that classes have 1 sex. So certain classes are only female while others are strictly male. Which is strange but I'm over that.

You get housing and can have up to 5 homes. It's a system based on popularity... doing quests and such gives you more points to spend on things you need.

Hope you like it let me know. I bought the game on Steam. It's a one and done purchase but then they sell stuff in their in-game store... much of which is just glam... though some is pretty useful. I love the little pets.

Fishing and Horse training can be done AFK and they actually allow you to do it... though with open PvP it's do it at your own risk in some area's. Or be like some myself included and work life skills on a character that stays at level 49.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
> impossible things
Pinco, you've misunderstood. I want the 640x480 screen background on the Classic Client to be redrawn. No "whole map" required. The background for the screen is already in memory, since that's where the dirty rectangles are getting restored from.
This is doable. This would fix the "trails" left by gargoyles walking with large shields, and other cruft where the devs have been too d---ed lazy to fix the rectangles and masks.
Classic client, Pinco, classic client.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
People really think KR was good? OMG here are some examples I found on my photo bucket account.

... <pics trimmed out> ...
To me these are better than what EC has now. It's much more defined and not as fuzzy to these old eyes.

Added: Saw Pinco's correction. Still, to me 3D and KR are more easy on my eyes. But that's just me ... I'm sure they suxxors for someone else.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
this video was from KR:

it was all very bulky and had the wrong perspective angle
That clip shows it well. Some of the sounds and music are better. The map is horrible! I remember the rune books like that.

Thanks

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
> impossible things
Pinco, you've misunderstood. I want the 640x480 screen background on the Classic Client to be redrawn. No "whole map" required. The background for the screen is already in memory, since that's where the dirty rectangles are getting restored from.
This is doable. This would fix the "trails" left by gargoyles walking with large shields, and other cruft where the devs have been too d---ed lazy to fix the rectangles and masks.
Classic client, Pinco, classic client.
the tiles don't stay in memory, they get deleted and redrawn... the ptoblem of gargoyles is that they go higher in height (same that happens with the house if you go too high). The only way to fix that would be to increase the visible area over the edge of your 640x480 which will cause lag because it requires to get more data and draw more stuff. Same reason why they are not going to make a bigger game area, it would just be messy and laggy...
Obviously anything can be done if you put enough time in it, but what's the point of stop doing anything else for a month (or even more) just to fix a small issue? In the end with the current menpower they have, they can only afford to do medium-small stuff that involves the interest of as much people as they can...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The biggest problem with the KR Client was that you could have 2 machines with the same specs and only one could run it or you could have a state of the art machine that could not run it but an older machine could and UO could not figure out why some machines could run it while others could not. Some of the old KR graphics were great and it would be nice if UO could allow them to be displayed in the EC along with the CC. Let the user pick which graphics he/she wants to look at with the EC, best of both worlds.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Let the user pick which graphics he/she wants to look at with the EC, best of both worlds.
This isn't even a case of letting users decide which resolution and fps they want, you want UO to forever stay in the realm of working harder than any other game when it comes to making new content which begs the question, do you want UO to progress at a better pace and be more appealing to a larger audience (has pinco's great support too!) or be anchored forever because veterans refuse to change?

EC is so much more comfortable on the eye and has so many features packed inside that make the game more comfortable to play it's ridiculous to even compare a Porsche to a Fiat Panda anymore, that clunky FPS in CC doesn't even exist in gaming anymore and hasn't existed in gaming since we were playing with our 16-128mb of RAM back in the day!...

New and even returning players can get a positivee experience with EC w/pinco's, it really does give a refreshing feel to UO and at least fits the standard of options you would expect of modern mmo gaming. The fact that a new or returning player when downloading the game, can choose between either downloading CC or EC....it's stupid, end of.

Seriously those who "Think" they enjoy CC, get a 144hz monitor and play a game that supports it, then go back to CC and try and respect it the fact that client exists today, I dare you!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This isn't even a case of letting users decide which resolution and fps they want, you want UO to forever stay in the realm of working harder than any other game when it comes to making new content which begs the question, do you want UO to progress at a better pace and be more appealing to a larger audience (has pinco's great support too!) or be anchored forever because veterans refuse to change?

EC is so much more comfortable on the eye and has so many features packed inside that make the game more comfortable to play it's ridiculous to even compare a Porsche to a Fiat Panda anymore, that clunky FPS in CC doesn't even exist in gaming anymore and hasn't existed in gaming since we were playing with our 16-128mb of RAM back in the day!...

New and even returning players can get a positivee experience with EC w/pinco's, it really does give a refreshing feel to UO and at least fits the standard of options you would expect of modern mmo gaming. The fact that a new or returning player when downloading the game, can choose between either downloading CC or EC....it's stupid, end of.

Seriously those who "Think" they enjoy CC, get a 144hz monitor and play a game that supports it, then go back to CC and try and respect it the fact that client exists today, I dare you!
That guy with the new map tool was showcasing his tool on the CC the other day. Looked like the client was doing 5 fps when walking. Really painful to watch o.0

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really liked the buildings and such in KR. But the landscape was God awful fugly.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really liked the buildings and such in KR. But the landscape was God awful fugly.
I liked how the building walls were thicker, more substantial...not the CC's cheap cardboard-looking walls. Their downside, however, was that most of them looked like they were coated in a layer or more of dirt.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use both clients, i do wish that i would't have to use both.
Filling vendors, decoing house is a real pain in the butt using EC, alot of the graphics is either very ugly,or very clumsy. I can't get myself to use a hiury on my tamer in EC it really hurts my eyes.
Placing fields as a mage is also a pain in the butt. Target filtering doesn't work properly in EC, sometimes enemies does not show up. Sometimes there are ghost images of players who aren't there (this happens a lot for me in pvp). EC does offer action bars would be nice to have those in the CC.
A solution could be to make an open-source client,its not like their communication protocol nor encryption between server and client is a secret any more.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Go play your Fugly graphics. The only thing superior with the EC is the client and it took a player to make it superior not UO so get over yourself. If it wasn't for the people using the CC you wouldn't even be here because the EC sure didn't bring in any players and it sure didn't have the numbers to support it like UO wanted to even consider shutting down the CC.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*sigh* You appear not to know what "dirty rectangles" are, and I suspect you have never seen the "gargoyle walks with large shield leaves trails" on classic client problem.

o The gargoyle is NOT changing height while walking on level ground, and even if the gargoyle were, then equipping a large shield and taking a step should be no different from walking around empty-handed.

o With "dirty rectangles"
This is a really old technique that pre-dates Direct3D. I suspect its presence in the Classic Client was copied from the Ultima VIII source.
Only part of the screen is redrawn with each frame refresh
The parts that are redrawn are the parts that are changed. The "changed" object is "undrawn" then the new state is drawn.
Undrawing takes time.
Keeping track of where to undraw takes time.
At some point it would be better to just redraw the whole screen entire because dealing with a huge number of dirty rectangles would be writing more pixels and/or taking more time than just redrawing the screen entire and paying no attention to dirty rectangles.

What I want to happen is to forget about the "undrawing" step. Just refresh the whole screen, each time. This would SAVE memory because there would be no need to keep track of dirty rectangles and what they should be restored to. This would SAVE time and reduce lag, in plenty of cases, because it removes the "undrawing" step which may be happening multiple times in places where moving objects are overlapping.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go play your Fugly graphics. The only thing superior with the EC is the client and it took a player to make it superior not UO so get over yourself. If it wasn't for the people using the CC you wouldn't even be here because the EC sure didn't bring in any players and it sure didn't have the numbers to support it like UO wanted to even consider shutting down the CC.
The core difference betwee CC and EC is how they are born... CC was born as "the game" at the time, EC came from a KR failure...
Also KR was born because when EA finished Warhammer Online they wanted to make the most of the engine they bought, so they went to the UO dev team and said: "Hey we have this pile of scraps from the other game, can you make something out of it?". So the dev team took hammer and nails and put together KR, but with their small team they had no chance of making something great, just something "MacGiver" style that sticks together with the dukt tape.
I remember when KR came out, the devs publish a patch every week, it was promising since if they kept that fixing rate that client would really had a chance.... but after a month or so they simply stopped (probably they run out of money?), and after that they simply started to chop off pieces of the client just to make it work (barely I'd say).

So you see? CC was born designed in day 1 by Richard Garriot and his team, trying to create the first MMO in history (so they wanted to have a chance), EC was created by a team who was a big fan of WoW and tried to turn UO into something similar with a bunch of scraps and a shallow knowledge of what this game was....

IMHO the best (and cheapest) solution is not to keep CC and neither EC, but to use the EC engine and start building from there something else that could please everyone... They could even just start by using CC sprites scaled up with an anti-aliasing filter applied (just so that you won't see the pixels) :D

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
That clip shows it well. Some of the sounds and music are better. The map is horrible! I remember the rune books like that.

Thanks
The Britain Song is awesome! God I wish that was available somewhere...

KR best graphics to date. To this day I'd take KR over anything...crashes and all...

Belmarduk

Adventurer
The core difference betwee CC and EC is how they are born... CC was born as "the game" at the time, EC came from a KR failure...
Also KR was born because when EA finished Warhammer Online they wanted to make the most of the engine they bought, so they went to the UO dev team and said: "Hey we have this pile of scraps from the other game, can you make something out of it?". So the dev team took hammer and nails and put together KR, but with their small team they had no chance of making something great, just something "MacGiver" style that sticks together with the dukt tape.
I remember when KR came out, the devs publish a patch every week, it was promising since if they kept that fixing rate that client would really had a chance.... but after a month or so they simply stopped (probably they run out of money?), and after that they simply started to chop off pieces of the client just to make it work (barely I'd say).

So you see? CC was born designed in day 1 by Richard Garriot and his team, trying to create the first MMO in history (so they wanted to have a chance), EC was created by a team who was a big fan of WoW and tried to turn UO into something similar with a bunch of scraps and a shallow knowledge of what this game was....

IMHO the best (and cheapest) solution is not to keep CC and neither EC, but to use the EC engine and start building from there something else that could please everyone... They could even just start by using CC sprites scaled up with an anti-aliasing filter applied (just so that you won't see the pixels) :D
Then they should have ****ing USED the WAR-engine !!!!!!
If that had been implemented at that time UO would have been a serious competitor to WOW...
WAR graphics are getting old for todays standards but WAR was/IS (YES I STILL play WAR regulary.... - **** you EA !!!) the only 3d (1st Person View) MMO I could ever play without getting motion-sickness

UO with WAR-Graphics... that would have been something *sigh*
Or with a Modern and GOOD Isometric-client....

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then they should have ****ing USED the WAR-engine !!!!!!
If that had been implemented at that time UO would have been a serious competitor to WOW...
WAR graphics are getting old for todays standards but WAR was/IS (YES I STILL play WAR regulary.... - **** you EA !!!) the only 3d (1st Person View) MMO I could ever play without getting motion-sickness

UO with WAR-Graphics... that would have been something *sigh*
Or with a Modern and GOOD Isometric-client....
They used the same game-engine that they used in Warhammer ... it's called gamebryo.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I meant they should have made a 3D client then like WAR
Maybe. But then I couldn't imagine the current team dealing with such an client compared to the simple EC and CC. Let alone adding new art.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I meant they should have made a 3D client then like WAR
Maybe. But then I couldn't imagine the current team dealing with such an client compared to the simple EC and CC. Let alone adding new art.
UO full 3d would never work, besides this kind of games works much better with an isometric view :)
What they should have done was to use 3d models instead of 2d sprites (like it was on third dawn), that would have REALLY improved the game, since with 3d models characters could have any number of animations without redrawing the whole thing...

Belmarduk

Adventurer
UO full 3d would never work, besides this kind of games works much better with an isometric view :)
What they should have done was to use 3d models instead of 2d sprites (like it was on third dawn), that would have REALLY improved the game, since with 3d models characters could have any number of animations without redrawing the whole thing...
WAR now has a very small team of voluntary devs - who have been doing a 100x better job the last 2 years than EA/Mythic did in all the years the official war was running.... This shows that a commited small team can also do great if they really want to (and are able to)
Yes for isometric view I 100% concur with you that they should have used 3D models

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WAR now has a very small team of voluntary devs - who have been doing a 100x better job the last 2 years than EA/Mythic did in all the years the official war was running.... This shows that a commited small team can also do great if they really want to (and are able to)
Yes for isometric view I 100% concur with you that they should have used 3D models
no, warhammer online closed back in 2013 because EA lost the rights to use warhammer names and characters... if there is still something around it must be some custom server :D
Anyway all you can do in a game depends on the resources and how many people you have, 1 guy working 2 clients and a server is not going to do much...

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd really like to hear some quality reasons as to why CC needs to stay, that's the kicker!
Why should CC players be forced into using the EC because players who use it think CC players should to. Also (no offense to Pinco) why should CC players be forced into using a bandage to cover up all the flaws in the EC. Its great the players love the EC client and love Pinco UI :thumbup: to you all, but seriously stop trying to push it on players who love the CC client. and don't need a bandage to cover up any flaws in CC.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why should CC players be forced into using the EC because players who use it think CC players should to. Also (no offense to Pinco) why should CC players be forced into using a bandage to cover up all the flaws in the EC. Its great the players love the EC client and love Pinco UI :thumbup: to you all, but seriously stop trying to push it on players who love the CC client. and don't need a bandage to cover up any flaws in CC.
Yeah we don't need a bandage, we need a trash bag to put it all in, and a new client built from the engine of EC (or a new engine, since now the game engines are quite cheap if you use them for pc games), to start over, but I don't see it happening... I seriously doubt they have the resources to pull it off anyway :D

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I run vanilla default EC with a couple of Modders amendments just for my personal preference. Works just fine, the EC does NOT need a 'bandage' as Lady Michelle says, although I wonder if the majority of CC users use UOAuto Map and UOAssist as 'bandages' if you wanna use that word.

To each their own. although I have no doubt had the devs just focussed on a new client way back when then we wouldn't be in the mess we are now. Sometimes I wish EA/BS would just bite the bullet and close the game, would make worrying about houses and 'stuff' so much easier. lol

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run vanilla default EC with a couple of Modders amendments just for my personal preference. Works just fine, the EC does NOT need a 'bandage' as Lady Michelle says, although I wonder if the majority of CC users use UOAuto Map and UOAssist as 'bandages' if you wanna use that word.

To each their own. although I have no doubt had the devs just focussed on a new client way back when then we wouldn't be in the mess we are now. Sometimes I wish EA/BS would just bite the bullet and close the game, would make worrying about houses and 'stuff' so much easier. lol
EC needs much more than a bandage... you haven't seen how broken it is. More than half of the stuff requires a workaround to avoid bugs and other stuff doesn't work as it's supposed to.
If everything would work as it's supposed to, the client will be 100% times faster than CC, but there is a lot of bugs piled up on horribly designed features (like the one that causes lag during EM events that I explained in the other post).

Probably if they dedicate 1 year of solid work it might get out of the mud a little bit, but I doubt they'll do that, especially because it's easier to pretend that all is fine instead of actually doing something about it... after all it worked for years that strategy, why stop now? As they say... ignorance is bliss :p

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You just stated your preference for CC graphics while completely missing the point/context of why I even bothered to post in this thread in the first place. If you want this game to remain an Egyptian Pyramid you and others alike are doing a great job, It will only take the next wave of upcoming mmo's in mid/late 2019 and perhaps Aria (by that time it may be a deeper and more rewarding experience than on release) to make UO completely absolete.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You just stated your preference for CC graphics while completely missing the point/context of why I even bothered to post in this thread in the first place. If you want this game to remain an Egyptian Pyramid you and others alike are doing a great job, It will only take the next wave of upcoming mmo's in mid/late 2019 and perhaps Aria (by that time it may be a deeper and more rewarding experience than on release) to make UO completely absolete.
You do understand we have been hearing this doom and gloom for 20 years and we are still here, have a nice day.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a question, have anyone gotten EC to work under linux/wine ?
I can tell that CC works pretty well under linux/wine, and is fairly easy to setup.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never mentioned graphics but since you did I like most of the graphics in both clients. They keep the cc client for loyal customers who have been playing this game for ages because they love it. they drop it they lose their profits from those loyal customers.

Makaveli

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
iv been playing since beta on and off. and i always said no to any client exept CC but the past week or two i decided to try EC and i love every single thing about it apart from how my character and horse looks... i managed to change the papder doll back to something simmilar to CC but my char looks like **** if he looked like he does in CC i would be really happy with that. i think most people would think same

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Personally I much prefer the EC paperdoll, but if there was an option to have the old paperdoll as well in an attempt to get more people to try the EC I think that would be a great idea. :thumbsup:

Makaveli

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there is a option to use legacy paperdoll but just not how your actual character looks