• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hukor

I will say again.
The shard is dead but not because
of monster loot intensity.

until the devs force a balance people will cry and whine and pancake and disagree about whats best for the shard myself included.
*crys more*

I think everyone wants more people here.

the question is how to achieve it.

I know the old quality over quantity argument so save your breath.

no insurance does not a quality player make.

no insurance just makes it possible for ****** bags to be bigger ****** bags.
but only in an item based game.

H

hukor

@ forsaken.

don't forget that if the devs bump monster loot people will still complain about us getting artis from a vendin machine while they go out and farm thiers.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ forsaken.

don't forget that if the devs bump monster loot people will still complain about us getting artis from a vendin machine while they go out and farm thiers.
Well since really I'd say 90% of the complaints about faction artifacts comes from the people that use them, not the people who aren't in factions, I'd say no. I know I certainly don't care.

The ONLY reason I don't look fondly upon faction arties is that they spoiled people in factions. People used to suit up with whatever stuff they had, if they had not great gear, so be it, thats where skill came in and helped level things out. Now people are so dependent on faction arties that they have moved to prodo shards and are now suggesting insurance so that they don't have to deal with losing them when they die.

The idea behind them was a good one I think (to make pvp gearing easier) but it just ended up hurting pvp more than anything. So many people have moved on because of high silver prices.

Thats why I say lower silver prices, and/or make arti level items otherwise considerably easier to get, and maybe we wont have this problem. It's a better solution than insurance.

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now people are so dependent on faction arties that they have moved to prodo shards and are now suggesting insurance so that they don't have to deal with losing them when they die.
I have never worn a faction artifact on Siege and my post has nothing to do with me losing anything when I die. I have always wore GM stuff (and now some imbued stuff) even when I was in factions. So if that comment was directed at me, you are mistaken.

For the record, I suggested insurance to encourage growth on the shard by attracting people from prodo shards. A nice side effect is that it benefits people wearing faction items as well. It seemed to be a decent compromise because I don't think the Devs will make the desired changes to faction silver even if we had 100% agreement on it. If I had any hope of Dev's making the changes that are being asked for, I never would have posted about insurance. However, I believe insurance is a quick fix they might be willing to consider. Or, we can get nothing and pretty soon we will all be playing another game or playing on prodo shards.

H

hukor

People used to suit up with whatever stuff they had, if they had not great gear, so be it, thats where skill came in and helped level things out.
OK that's like saying you cn bring a knife to a gun fight.

you only say you don't care because you don't PVP.

Now people are so dependent on faction arties that they have moved to prodo shards and are now suggesting insurance so that they don't have to deal with losing them when they die.

NO they leave because of griefing tamers and stealthers who play naked.

th funny thing is that I could play a no clue having crafter who sitsin the bank and buys resources from a guard zone.
making sweet little items for pvpers to buy @ 10-100 k a pop
all the while I can sit on the boards and post about how wimpy everone is who goes out and repeatedly loses expensive gear to ganks and stealthed players.

therfor I become rich and everypne else gets to cry while I call them a bunch of *******.

NOT very perilous I would say.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
For the record, I suggested insurance to encourage growth on the shard by attracting people from prodo shards. A nice side effect is that it benefits people wearing faction items as well. It seemed to be a decent compromise because I don't think the Devs will make the desired changes to faction silver even if we had 100% agreement on it. If I had any hope of Dev's making the changes that are being asked for, I never would have posted about insurance. However, I believe insurance is a quick fix they might be willing to consider. Or, we can get nothing and pretty soon we will all be playing another game or playing on prodo shards.
I sure hope they won't consider item insurance for Siege. I also think only very few Siege players want item insurance.

We need items to be easier to replace but we still need full looting to stay on Siege.

Because of Siege Bless, I had been using the same bow for many years.

I'm happy we do not have item insurance, because then I fear I would had been running the same suit for years too.

I would not mind to see Siege bless go too as with Imbuing, I can make an ok bow if I lose one and I would like to sell more weapons too.

If we get item insurance, I will only need my alchemist/scriber/cook, I won't need my smith/tailor/carpenter so I would let Tina Tink go inactive together with alot other unemployed crafters.

Item Insurance would kill Siege, at least for me, the fun would be gone.

I want to keep the risk when traveling the land.

J

John Dillinger

well.. i am a player from atlantic.. the only reason i would like to come to siege for one.. is my favorite temp is a thief.. which was crushed by insurance..

V

Vaelix

I started playing right after AOS

my friend who played since beta was playing Siege because of trammel and insurance so he helped me get started/hooked on it.
loved the game and stayed

farmed trained got killed and loved every minute of it.

I started on a character named Please
my cousin has a sick sense of humor.

then I made a new toon named Rand Al Thor.

played him for a year and bought a account from Jinji Ryu from c8v

played that for a few years.
bought 24 soulstones ovr the years and trained up all kinds of skills had canged the name to Hukor and sold the account to Savannah SP for 600 bucks.
in those years I have bought and sold accounts.
Mr Hankey
Mrs Claus
Havik
Cat
Hypocritically
and a newb toon from a production account.

made a crafter from scratch JackofAllTrades

then I bought one of Sakeys red accounts nmed Forsaken(still want a name change)
in the later years after I sold my main my play time was limited
I started having less fun as my time was less and I was ganked more with the advent of removal of stealth timers and auto stealth.

but still a great game
I switched to prodo and free shards about a year ago and let my accounts go inactive.
I only play EA servers on my cousins account now.

I have related my opinions as such and have related facts as my opinion colors them.

I know not everyone agrees but just throwing my 2 cents in plus some.

my stratics name was taken after the server for the boards changed but by that time I was playing prodo shard and free so I only needed to post when I needed to buy something or BS here or there.
you should remember me Kat because I was trying to start guild wars in malas at the mountainous region between umbra and luna.
maybe not it was a while ago.
I'll start answering your questions as soon as you answer mine.
I'm noticing that this was Hours ago.. More than enough time to relpy.

B

Black magick

I also think only very few Siege players want item insurance.

Because of Siege Bless, I had been using the same bow for many years.
I'm happy we do not have item insurance, because then I fear I would had been running the same suit for years too.

I would not mind to see Siege bless go too as with Imbuing, I can make an ok bow if I lose one and I would like to sell more weapons too.

Item Insurance would kill Siege, at least for me, the fun would be gone.
1. I'm not for insurance here, but your thoughts are often misguided.
2. There's a mentality problem here. You don't evolve with the game, thus are stuck in the proverbial stone age of UO.
3. The only reason you think siege bless should go is because the bow you make is probably not that good, thus making it easy to replace. Others run more serious weaponry. Not only that, removing siege bless would further kill the game because those who aren't as good wouldn't carry anything good, eliminating any potential of beating a better player short of zerg rushing.
4. All you do is pvm and craft, how would it kill the fun? It doesn't really effect what you do.

@vaelix, you read my mind.

V

Vaelix

1. I'm not for insurance here, but your thoughts are often misguided.
2. There's a mentality problem here. You don't evolve with the game, thus are stuck in the proverbial stone age of UO.
3. The only reason you think siege bless should go is because the bow you make is probably not that good, thus making it easy to replace. Others run more serious weaponry. Not only that, removing siege bless would further kill the game because those who aren't as good wouldn't carry anything good, eliminating any potential of beating a better player short of zerg rushing.
4. All you do is pvm and craft, how would it kill the fun? It doesn't really effect what you do.
Talk about Spot on.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started playing right after AOS

my friend who played since beta was playing Siege because of trammel and insurance so he helped me get started/hooked on it.
loved the game and stayed

farmed trained got killed and loved every minute of it.

I started on a character named Please
my cousin has a sick sense of humor.

then I made a new toon named Rand Al Thor.

played him for a year and bought a account from Jinji Ryu from c8v

played that for a few years.
bought 24 soulstones ovr the years and trained up all kinds of skills had canged the name to Hukor and sold the account to Savannah SP for 600 bucks.
in those years I have bought and sold accounts.
Mr Hankey
Mrs Claus
Havik
Cat
Hypocritically
and a newb toon from a production account.

made a crafter from scratch JackofAllTrades

then I bought one of Sakeys red accounts nmed Forsaken(still want a name change)
in the later years after I sold my main my play time was limited
I started having less fun as my time was less and I was ganked more with the advent of removal of stealth timers and auto stealth.

but still a great game
I switched to prodo and free shards about a year ago and let my accounts go inactive.
I only play EA servers on my cousins account now.

I have related my opinions as such and have related facts as my opinion colors them.

I know not everyone agrees but just throwing my 2 cents in plus some.

my stratics name was taken after the server for the boards changed but by that time I was playing prodo shard and free so I only needed to post when I needed to buy something or BS here or there.
you should remember me Kat because I was trying to start guild wars in malas at the mountainous region between umbra and luna.
maybe not it was a while ago.
WOW! Mr Hankey that's a blast from the past!

H

hukor

sorry for the last messy post.

doing this on a phone.

Am I missing a question from Kat?

Sorry but I played a thief on Siege especialy during the Maginicia event an the only reason there was action was because the artis spawning were cursed. and you could still barely grab them before people ran them to the bank.
No one with any brains leaves something worth stealing in their pack.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People used to suit up with whatever stuff they had, if they had not great gear, so be it, thats where skill came in and helped level things out.
OK that's like saying you cn bring a knife to a gun fight.

you only say you don't care because you don't PVP.

NO they leave because of griefing tamers and stealthers who play naked.

th funny thing is that I could play a no clue having crafter who sitsin the bank and buys resources from a guard zone.
making sweet little items for pvpers to buy @ 10-100 k a pop
all the while I can sit on the boards and post about how wimpy everone is who goes out and repeatedly loses expensive gear to ganks and stealthed players.

therfor I become rich and everypne else gets to cry while I call them a bunch of *******.

NOT very perilous I would say.
Dude, I care about pvpers. I also care about the shard as a whole. I was just stating a fact. I did not hear cry one pre faction arties about gearing up. People went out bought 1/3's and did what they had to do. And if you missed it one of the 125 times I said it in this thread alone, I am FOR lowering silver costs so people can suit up with faction arties, because the cat is out of the bag, theres no way to stuff it back in.

I'm not calling anyone a wimp. Its not a problem the players caused. It's a problem the developers caused by not taking into consideration what faction arties would do here. As it always is they drop prodo code on us with cavalier abandon, then say they need to take a half a year to evaluate the effect of any possible changes. Are players going to take advantage of stupid development leak through? Of course. I do not blame them, thats how it goes.

Bad mouth me all you want because I don't pvp (although I plan to start once I get scrolls, which will prolly be like a year from now but whatever..) thats fine, you don't know me, or what I do, It doesnt really matter but I don't sit in the guardzone and craft, and you clearly know nothing about me if you think I'm rich.
I am out hunting any time I am on, geared up as well as I can (I am very poor most times), most times equipped with plenty to lose if I get got, and that is how I have always played.

I stand by everything I said, and I will repeat I am all for pvp and pvpers. They are the heart of the shard, and even as a tamer I was one of the most vocal people AGAINST greater dragons even being tamable if you want to talk about pvp abuse, and I am for passive reveal changes while we are at it.
But will I let people try to spearhead an initiative that is bad for everyone? No, I won't.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Insurance effects everyone, crafters and people who pvm to sell are hurt more than anyone. It destroys economic diversity and briskness of exchange.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never worn a faction artifact on Siege and my post has nothing to do with me losing anything when I die. I have always wore GM stuff (and now some imbued stuff) even when I was in factions. So if that comment was directed at me, you are mistaken.
No it wasn't I was worried you would think so when I made the post, but I forgot to make a mention as my train of thought rolled on. Sorry fellow. :)

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ONLY reason I don't look fondly upon faction arties is that they spoiled people in factions. People used to suit up with whatever stuff they had, if they had not great gear, so be it, thats where skill came in and helped level things out. Now people are so dependent on faction arties that they have moved to prodo shards and are now suggesting insurance so that they don't have to deal with losing them when they die.
lol!

That's no where near the case...

It's about reviving the competition on this shard...

S

Sunchicken

Help me figure this out then, as I am clueless, I cannot fathom how Insurance would help Siege.
Consider this example:

Lets assume a moderate number of players on Atlantic.

1000 players averaging 2 accounts per player, and 7 toons per account.
Thats 14,000 suits that need to be crafted to outfit everyone. That should keep crafters busy for a bit, even with insurance.

Now assume each toon likes to wear 2 different suits, a pvm suit and a pvp suit, now we need 28,000 suits to supply these 1000 players.

Now, lets use a high number for Siege population.

100 players averaging 2 accounts per player, and one toon per account.

Thats 200 suits that need to be crafted to outfit everyone, double that number to 400 if they want a pvm and pvp suit.

400 to 28,000... don't think insurance will kill crafters here?

MORE PEOPLE....

end of discussion i win:)

And no it wont with the one char per account. Because i guarentee the people coming wont be crafters...

Mook Chessy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I say no to insurance, I like looting my kills...

To all the people that are saying it would hurt crafters or slow the economy, please understand that the main people buying your goods and driving the economy are pvpers and we are a weird breed.

At one time I have well over a billion gold and the very best gear anyone could want and i still went crazy trying to get better!

The fact is lost on the casual player, a true pvp will burn 25 barbed kits trying to make his/her suit better...even if better is 78 fire instead of 76. Same with jewls, long before imbuing I had a 50 pots ring with hci/dci/lmc and di, I still spent million on Ecrus trying for better. Weapons fall in line too, even with the best 6 mod weapon players still burn val hammers...

Maybe the best way to explain is the way a pvmer builds a luck suit is the same way a pvper builds a pvp suit, except we build 50 of them.

I dont expect most to understand this post, like I said pvpers are a weird breed!
When I came to Siege and made an archer I knew I wanted to play balanced, even after I aquired one of the best balanced bows on the shard I still offered to trade a castle for a better bow, yes a castle for one weapon!

To quote my RL best friend (he quit a few years ago)

"did you ever kill someone with a castle"

Varka

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If Insurance is implemented on Siege Perilous then it's only a matter of time (and I'd wager it's a SHORT time) before the dev team rolls Siege Perilous up with standard production shard rules, or sticks the eight remaining players on a prodo shard.

The dev team will have the same thought that a lot of people here have: "Siege + Insurance = Just pretend that Trammel option on the moongate doesn't exist."

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I say no to insurance, I like looting my kills...

To all the people that are saying it would hurt crafters or slow the economy, please understand that the main people buying your goods and driving the economy are pvpers and we are a weird breed.

At one time I have well over a billion gold and the very best gear anyone could want and i still went crazy trying to get better!

The fact is lost on the casual player, a true pvp will burn 25 barbed kits trying to make his/her suit better...even if better is 78 fire instead of 76. Same with jewls, long before imbuing I had a 50 pots ring with hci/dci/lmc and di, I still spent million on Ecrus trying for better. Weapons fall in line too, even with the best 6 mod weapon players still burn val hammers...

Maybe the best way to explain is the way a pvmer builds a luck suit is the same way a pvper builds a pvp suit, except we build 50 of them.

I dont expect most to understand this post, like I said pvpers are a weird breed!
When I came to Siege and made an archer I knew I wanted to play balanced, even after I aquired one of the best balanced bows on the shard I still offered to trade a castle for a better bow, yes a castle for one weapon!

To quote my RL best friend (he quit a few years ago)

"did you ever kill someone with a castle"

They don't understand that players don't just run one suit. Maybe some do, but they don't partake in all aspects of the game. Like I said earlier, I have about 20 different suits just for two characters. That doesn't include weapons, jewels or anything. Hell that doesn't even include different skill set ups. I dont think I want insurance but it sure as hell wont kill the crafter or pvmer business. The Pvm Farmer was killed by imbuing. Crafters are still going strong and will always be strong as long as they can craft the best weapons. There will always be a demand.

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If Insurance is implemented on Siege Perilous then it's only a matter of time (and I'd wager it's a SHORT time) before the dev team rolls Siege Perilous up with standard production shard rules, or sticks the eight remaining players on a prodo shard.

The dev team will have the same thought that a lot of people here have: "Siege + Insurance = Just pretend that Trammel option on the moongate doesn't exist."
I disagree. They have plenty of prodo shards, some with a population as low as Siege if you can believe that. There is no benefit to the Developers to do so. Siege would still have the lack of safe zones and different skill gains to seperate it. Wouldn't make sense for them to make it the same as others. It would be less work for them to just close Siege.

As far as insurance hurting the economy and crafters, I just don't see it. Atlantic is THRIVING with some of the most active vendors and crafters anywhere. Not only do they have insurance, but they also have up to 7 characters per account. You would think no one would buy stuff under those conditions. You would be wrong.

In fact, I have been playing on Lake Austin which has a small population. Guess what the number one complaint is? Not enough vendors selling good stuff.

The best arguements I have heard is the harm to thieves and those who enjoy looting or griefing. To me, thats a small price to pay for a decent population and tougher competition in pvp.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a quick question...if SP did get insurance...which would make it just like every other shard EA has right now...why would a ESTABLISHED character from atlantic for instance come here then? I'm really not seeing the logic here...i look at it this way...all the guilds and players that had balls came to SP when they found out about SP or in 1999...since then EA has ruined the game for "true SP players"...

It also really amazes me that SP has been around since 1999 and some people say they been playing UO since 1998 but failed to come over to SP when it opened in 1999. I just don't see the logic in turning SP into another production shard...what i see is people not wanting to let go of their pixels on SP and wanting to turn SP into a production shard to get more people...which like i said before i don't see happening...

IF YOU WANT A PRODUCTION SHARD GO PLAY A PRODUCTION SHARD LEAVE SP ALONE AND LEAVE YOUR PIXELS ON SP AND FORGET ABOUT THEM AND MOVE ON AND QUIT CRYING!

*This has been a chardonnay service announcement*

Varka

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree. They have plenty of prodo shards, some with a population as low as Siege if you can believe that. There is no benefit to the Developers to do so. Siege would still have the lack of safe zones and different skill gains to seperate it. Wouldn't make sense for them to make it the same as others. It would be less work for them to just close Siege.

As far as insurance hurting the economy and crafters, I just don't see it. Atlantic is THRIVING with some of the most active vendors and crafters anywhere. Not only do they have insurance, but they also have up to 7 characters per account. You would think no one would buy stuff under those conditions. You would be wrong.

In fact, I have been playing on Lake Austin which has a small population. Guess what the number one complaint is? Not enough vendors selling good stuff.

The best arguements I have heard is the harm to thieves and those who enjoy looting or griefing. To me, thats a small price to pay for a decent population and tougher competition in pvp.
You may very well be correct, I'm not psychic, but I'd leave well enough alone, considering there are already a dozen or so insurance-enabled Felucca facets available for your pleasure.

Becoming more production-like is the absolute wrong way to go; if anything you should still be trying to DIFFERENTIATE Siege from prod shards.

If you open that door, you may find character transfers to Siege enabled or some ridiculous nonsense in a month or two...

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may very well be correct, I'm not psychic, but I'd leave well enough alone, considering there are already a dozen or so insurance-enabled Felucca facets available for your pleasure.

Becoming more production-like is the absolute wrong way to go; if anything you should still be trying to DIFFERENTIATE Siege from prod shards.

If you open that door, you may find character transfers to Siege enabled or some ridiculous nonsense in a month or two...
QFT...

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
QFT

Just a quick question...if SP did get insurance...which would make it just like every other shard EA has right now...why would a ESTABLISHED character from atlantic for instance come here then?
No trammel and no dupe-ravaged economy. You don't have any idea how many PvPer's on prodo wish the whole game was based in Felucca. The vast majority of them, in fact.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
QFT

No trammel and no dupe-ravaged economy. You don't have any idea how many PvPer's on prodo wish the whole game was based in Felucca. The vast majority of them, in fact.
But they don't come here because of insurance are you being serious? These people sound like cold-blooded killers they dont want trammel but they want insurance? See how ****ing dumb that sounds?

I understand about the dupe thing but to be 100% real i don't know how ppl still play prodo shard with all the duping going on...

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
QFT

But they don't come here because of insurance are you being serious? These people sound like cold-blooded killers they dont want trammel but they want insurance? See how ****ing dumb that sounds?
People on prodo can PvP all day every day. How many of them started playing UO before item insurance? They're used to it.

What does loving PvP and being able to do it anywhere have to do with insurance? Nothing.

I personally love looting people. It's one of my favorite aspects of Siege, but if monster loot, faction silver prices and passive detect aren't on the table... I'm all for insurance.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People on prodo can PvP all day every day. How many of them started playing UO before item insurance? They're used to it.

What does loving PvP and being able to do it anywhere have to do with insurance? Nothing.

I personally love looting people. It's one of my favorite aspects of Siege, but if monster loot, faction silver prices and passive detect aren't on the table... I'm all for insurance.
That's my whole point right there! I played UO before insurance and i like it better without...if you want insurance there is 25+ other server to enjoy insurance...

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would also like to add once trammel came into affect that should have brought every PvP'er from all the servers over but it didn't i wonder why?

Or, how about when duping messed up all the prodo servers economy's but they still didn't come to SP i wonder why?

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know what you're trying to say, but it's pretty obvious you just don't get it. Or maybe you do get it and just can't believe that it's the way it is. Well... it is.
Like i said before there's a reason people are not leaving a prodo server with trammel and a horrible economy...

There's a reason people didn't come to SP in 1999 or whenever they found out about SP...and i don't think it's the reason you think it is...

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ forsaken, kat and fudd

What happens when they boost monster loot?
remove player binding on faction arties.
lower silver cost.
fix ranking.
balance monster loot
balance again
fix factions again because people still abuse rank system by farming alts.
then balancing stealth and tamers

the way I see it that is a **** load of dev time used in balancing and rebalancing. then you know people will still cry because of griefing and drylooting
insurance would be easier to implement.

I don't want people afk farming mongbats to get ornys.
Thanks for answering my question. I think I do remember you as Rand Al Thor and checking out various locations with you for some guild wars, etc, then you disappeared. lol I was only asking who you were because I wasn't about to engage in this conversation with someone who doesn't play here or someone hiding behind a new username. Good to see ya back in this neck of the woods! :)

As far as what is quoted above, the Siege community isn't ASKING for all that. What we are looking for are things to improve Siege and help get it back on its feet. Aside from increased arty and ingredient drops, we haven't agreed on much else.

As for insurance on Siege, I don't want it here. I prefer full loot, even when I am the one being looted. That sense of danger where ever I go, whatever I am doing is what brought me here and what has kept me here over the years. Dying isn't a big deal. More often than not, I can self rez and with insurance, I could just keep on truckin'... which would pretty much end those heartpounding moments when a PK or an enemy guild strolls up on me.

IMO, reducing the cost to equip is the best way to help Siege and increased arty and ingredient drops are probably the best way to do it. They won't be dropping on mongbats. They will be dropping in their usual places.

And yep... There will still be those who will cry about being griefed and/or dry-looted, but those folks probably aren't cut out for Siege or will have to toughen up a bit.

E

Elmer Fudd

please excuse the ridiculous peasant who expressed his opinion, oh mine great mast0r.

Finally, someone who knows there place in the siege pecking order around here...next time if you dont mind...please pm us first and ask permision before you post on stratics.......:thumbup1:

H

Hugibear

Ya wanna know what ****s off a prodo player. Coming here, finally getting geared up, than getting smoked by some below average pvper and losing all their gear while trying to work skills. You arent going to get people to make a cold move, in other words, drop their house on prodo and plop one down on siege when they start here. So they have little resources and have to rely on other people for stuff, and when the other people arent around they just say f-it.

Siege is all but dead, you need to do something dramatic to get the people back here. With all the new super artis and imbuing it is time siege saw insurance at 5x the prodo rate.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya wanna know what ****s off a prodo player. Coming here, finally getting geared up, than getting smoked by some below average pvper and losing all their gear while trying to work skills. You arent going to get people to make a cold move, in other words, drop their house on prodo and plop one down on siege when they start here. So they have little resources and have to rely on other people for stuff, and when the other people arent around they just say f-it.
Reduce the cost to equip. That player will be just fine and so will the rest of us.

Siege is all but dead, you need to do something dramatic to get the people back here. With all the new super artis and imbuing it is time siege saw insurance at 5x the prodo rate.
I agree something dramatic needs to happen, but I don't agree that insurance is the answer. Even though they have neglected us beyond belief, I don't believe the devs will ever agree to steer that far away from their vision of Siege. We simply need some dev time [they know this] and some tweaks to bring cost to an acceptable range.

There is no good reason to further destroy what is the essence of Siege, when all the other shards have insurance for the players who want that play-style.

A

Arden

There is no good reason to further destroy what is the essence of Siege, when all the other shards have insurance for the players who want that play-style.
The "Essence" of siege is pking sucker, taking thier crap, and trashing it. Well from the pvp point of view that is. Anyone that says other wise belong on prodo.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "Essence" of siege is pking sucker, taking thier crap, and trashing it. Well from the pvp point of view that is. Anyone that says other wise belong on prodo.
I don't typically take things just to trash it, but otherwise, I can't disagree with you.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reduce the cost to equip. That player will be just fine and so will the rest of us.

I agree something dramatic needs to happen, but I don't agree that insurance is the answer. Even though they have neglected us beyond belief, I don't believe the devs will ever agree to steer that far away from their vision of Siege. We simply need some dev time [they know this] and some tweaks to bring cost to an acceptable range.

If the community doesn't come together and get the devs to agree to the faction, loot and stealth changes... then yes, insurance and being more like prodo sounds like the only alternative.

Something has to be done.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know what you're trying to say, but it's pretty obvious you just don't get it. Or maybe you do get it and just can't believe that it's the way it is. Well... it is.
Like i said before there's a reason people are not leaving a prodo server with trammel and a horrible economy...

There's a reason people didn't come to SP in 1999 or whenever they found out about SP...and i don't think it's the reason you think it is...
How much experience do you really have with prodo-players? I have a lot.

1. Players don't want to start over.

2. Players don't like the Siege set up. (It should be obvious that Siege player's aren't happy with the set up either.)

You can't solve problem one any more than we have with the changes to RoT.

Problem 2, is what we're talking about in this thread and I'm sorry, but you're not really understanding that UO is drastically different from what it was 10 years ago. The people playing this game are also drastically different...

John Connelly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IF YOU WANT A PRODUCTION SHARD GO PLAY A PRODUCTION SHARD LEAVE SP ALONE AND LEAVE YOUR PIXELS ON SP AND FORGET ABOUT THEM AND MOVE ON AND QUIT CRYING!
People crying about having to change their template to reveal stealthers, crying about their superman suits being too expensive and now asking for insurance. Are there not already plenty of shards with solutions to all their grievances?

H

Hugibear

JC you read any of this thread or did you just jump in. No one is crying, only suggesting. We are making suggestions because this shard is currently dead. We are trying to make points as to how to get more people to play with us. This is a mmorpg build around playing with other people and when the other people arent there it really isnt too fun. Kinda of why I have a problem with stealth, but that is a different thread.

I have simply said the easiest way to give everyone what they want is insurance. Here is what I have heard from the shard to get more people here. Lower faction costs, add more loot, add more artis @ faster drops, add tot events - summed up easy add insurance and no need to increase anything. I also heard people saying increase bank storage - again with insurance you will cut down on what a new person is trying to store. The stealth problems, would really still be a problem but most would prolly over look cause your suit would be insured.

As for the others yeah I love looting people, but there isnt many people to loot anymore. If Kat, Arden, Chard, and JC actually tried to pvp they would understand this. How can someone make an informed decision about something they currently know nothing about?

I play siege for more than just no insurance. I like siege because of 1 character per account, and the freedom to attack and kill you anywhere I choose to.

John Connelly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play siege for more than just no insurance.
As do I, but I came to Siege solely because of the introduction of insurance on prodo shards. For me, and probably others, insurance killed all the excitement of UO and removed the thrill that used to keep me playing for many hours a day.

There are many things that distinguish Siege from other shards, but having no insurance and free looting are vital in marking the identity of the shard and as such should not be changed.

H

Hugibear

well to me it is obvious that something needs to be done and the devs arent doing squat. I am giving the easiest solution for the devs, that will prolly satisfy the most people.

This game has changed from when you first came to siege. There were so few really good items around, you could survive with gm suits and 1 blessed item. Now there are a ton of hard to get really good items out there and with people making their own suits the possibilities are endless. Unfortunately for the people who CURRENTLY play siege these new items arent being used, because people are too afraid to lose them or only being used by people that are really good. Making the good player even better and putting a bigger gap between the good and mediocre.

Free looting is what has killed the pvp on this shard. With the introduction of better gear, those that are better at pvp have killed everyone and took their stuff. Great for the top tier pvper, but for the little mediocre guy it sucks. They have no way to compete anymore, they would spend hours farming only to lose suits in minutes. People dont like to lose the **** they worked hard to get. It is that simple.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for the others yeah I love looting people, but there isnt many people to loot anymore. If Kat, Arden, Chard, and JC actually tried to pvp they would understand this. How can someone make an informed decision about something they currently know nothing about?
**** off Hugi - As if none of us have ever pk'd or participated in PvP! Furthermore, to have an opinion on this, one DOES NOT HAVE TO PVP. Stop acting like that is a requirement to form an opinion. Every member of this shard has the right to an opinion on this and every other issue.

H

Hugibear

Sorry I forgot to add in tried to pvp currently or within the last year. This is a pvp issue there is NO ONE to pvp, or very few. All the pvpers left WHY? Because they got tired of farming for hours and losing there **** in minutes. There is no debate, it is that simple. What you people suggest is to farm more. wtf that is part of the problem.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry I forgot to add in tried to pvp currently or within the last year. This is a pvp issue there is NO ONE to pvp, or very few. All the pvpers left WHY? Because they got tired of farming for hours and losing there **** in minutes. There is no debate, it is that simple. What you people suggest is to farm more. wtf that is part of the problem.
Sorry, Hugi, you're wrong. This effects the entire shard. It is not just a PvP issue.

S

Sunchicken

I agree this is an issue for the entire shard. I believe insurance is a good idea and should be thought about.

Todays ultima online is not what it was 6 years ago.
Back then you could equip a suit of armour pick up a tribal spear and expect to compete.
Its not that simple anymore. You HAVE to have top notch items to be able to compete. You Have to have caped lmc dci hci along with other mods.
THis requires a lot of effort to achieve. This difficulty is tripled on siege. You can only have one account so unless you have multiple accounts you must depend on others in your quest to aquire your armour and weapons.

I dont look at insurance as taking away my right to full loot upon a kill. I look at it as the ability to spend more time doing what i enjoy and that is to wander brittania looking for people to kill. Not dreading spending my time in a dungeon farming for what seems like an eternity to make yet another suit to pvp in.

Yes it my take away from some (theives), but it offers so much more. That is it has the potential to boost our population significantly and that is what siege needs most in my opinion.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it my take away from some (theives), but it offers so much more. That is it has the potential to boost our population significantly and that is what siege needs most in my opinion.
I don't see thieves stealing anything of real value (artifacts) because people don't use them.

Players siege bless the weapon they use and they don't run with multiple weapons. You can't steal from what's on a player's paperdoll.

And let's get real. Most players on Siege wander about the world in trash gear and completely hidden from other players (stealth.)

No one does doom. No one hunts monsters for items. It's not like there's places they can go to even steal good loot from on this shard. Look at their episodes. They steal the same things they do on prodo... powerscrolls, SoTs and junk.

With how Siege is... adding Insurance will still barely impact thieves at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.