• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, first of all, in case you haven't noticed yet, I do not want insurance on SP or anywhere else. Beyond that, it seems you're not quite up to speed on where we are playing these days, but just FYI, no, the same cannot be said. Besides... I think there was a little reading comprehension fail on your part. Check the bold part.

Furthermore, I wasn't necessarily speaking to you. I haven't noticed you FORCING your opinion on anyone, but rather having a logical discussion/debate.
Yeah, I didn't mean that to sound like a slam, I apologize for misunderstanding you, but I think its important to hear from everyone regardless of where they currently play as long as there is the potential they would come back to Siege. The balancing act is trying to find a solution that will:

1. Attract new people
2. Bring old players back
3. Not chase current players away

To do so, we have to hear from people who don't currently play here whether they want insurance or not. It's easy to say if you really want insurance, then go play a prodo shard - but that doesn't help us grow.

I really don't think there is a solution that is going to do all 3. This is just my opinion but from the discuss thus far here is what I see:

Increasing loot, lowering silver - Probably the most widely accepted idea. Debate exists as to whether this will attract new people or not. Seems like it would probably solve 2 and 3, but not one. It also does not seem likely to happen due to the amount of coding it involves.

Insurance - Seems about 50/50. Will probably solve 1 and 2 but will probably be terrible on 3. Probably less coding than increasing loot / lowering silver.

Leave Siege as it is - Probably a minority of people. Will not solve 1 or 2, will probably not change 3.

Thats pretty much where we are stuck. The best option is not likely. The next best is not popular. The only other suggestion results in death.

I think we are perma-stuck :stretcher:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yeah, I didn't mean that to sound like a slam, I apologize for misunderstanding you, but I think its important to hear from everyone regardless of where they currently play as long as there is the potential they would come back to Siege. The balancing act is trying to find a solution that will:

1. Attract new people

To do so, we have to hear from people who don't currently play here whether they want insurance or not. It's easy to say if you really want insurance, then go play a prodo shard - but that doesn't help us grow.
No item insurance and no Trammel is what make Siege. If you add Item Insurance, you could go the whole way and add the whole trammy code and say bye bye Siege or better leet the ones who want Item Insurance stay on trammel shards

Insurance - Seems about 50/50. Will probably solve 1 and 2 but will probably be terrible on 3. Probably less coding than increasing loot / lowering silver.
I don't understand why people want item insurance, and next thing this 50% will do is to cry for trammel rules as they still can't handle dying.
Alot crafters will give up and close their shop if we get item insurance

Leave Siege as it is - Probably a minority of people. Will not solve 1 or 2, will probably not change 3.
I don't think dying is what make players quit, boredom is the problem because we are to few. There are better ways to get more players here than killing the crafters to get a few more PvP'ers to join Siege

Thats pretty much where we are stuck. The best option is not likely. The next best is not popular. The only other suggestion results in death.

I think we are perma-stuck :stretcher:
There are other ways to get more players:
1. Get Siege on young players shard list.
2. Find a way to allow players a second small house on Siege, one that need refresh.
3. Let us have 2-3 char slots
4. Allow recall but with a 10 sec delay where you can't be fighting, taking damage will interrupt it.
5. Increase loot drop
6 Remove factions items :p

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

1. Attract new people

"..."

If you leave Siege as it is, it will definitely chase current players away. There are many who are trying to "make the best" of this crap we deal with because changes are supposed to be coming. They are logging in and trying to get things going because it just sucks right now. They are trying to make lemonade out of lemons and sooner or later, they're going to get sick of it.

The devs are already hesitating on making changes. Any changes made need to have incentives attached to them. Incentives being things that are easy to code or making Siege more like prodo so they don't have to spend future time coding special things for Siege.

Quite frankly I don't see monster loot, faction artifacts and the stealth problem being addressed by the developers. If 90% or more of this community got together and said, look... we want this with our shard then it would be pretty hard to justify doing anything else. The problem is we don't have 90% saying that.

When you consider the input of prodoshard players, especially PvPers... then insurance becomes a very attractive idea.

This shard is probably a headache to them. Years ago, didn't one of the Devs get chastised for coming out and saying so? We give them all the reasons for why they don't have to help us. They've got thousands upon thousands of players to cater to playing the other shards. Who here really thinks they wouldn't consider the idea of catering this shard to them as well? Especially when a good portion of the 40-50 people left here aren't opposed to it. I'm sure they're looking for some way out of this mess.

Doesn't help that we don't give them any reason to help us. Like this nonsense.

There are other ways to get more players:
1. Get Siege on young players shard list.
2. Find a way to allow players a second small house on Siege, one that need refresh.
3. Let us have 2-3 char slots
4. Allow recall but with a 10 sec delay where you can't be fighting, taking damage will interrupt it.
5. Increase loot drop
6 Remove factions items :p

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you leave Siege as it is, it will definitely chase current players away. There are many who are trying to "make the best" of this crap we deal with because changes are supposed to be coming. They are logging in and trying to get things going because it just sucks right now. They are trying to make lemonade out of lemons and sooner or later, they're going to get sick of it.

The devs are already hesitating on making changes. Any changes made need to have incentives attached to them. Incentives being things that are easy to code or making Siege more like prodo so they don't have to spend future time coding special things for Siege.
Well said sir.

I'm sorry Freja, but I don't see your list happening. They have pretty much said 1-3 is not gonna happen. There are way too many people against #4. Number 5 and 6 were presented a while back by Bruin, Kat, and Forsaken in a rare moment of agreement for this shard. It has not been done and there was no mention of it for months. I don't think they are willing to do that much coding without, as Draxous put it, incentive.

The Cheapsuit

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Quite frankly I don't see monster loot, faction artifacts and the stealth problem being addressed by the developers. If 90% or more of this community got together and said, look... we want this with our shard then it would be pretty hard to justify doing anything else. The problem is we don't have 90% saying that.

When you consider the input of prodoshard players, especially PvPers... then insurance becomes a very attractive idea.

This shard is probably a headache to them. Years ago, didn't one of the Devs get chastised for coming out and saying so? We give them all the reasons for why they don't have to help us. They've got thousands upon thousands of players to cater to playing the other shards. Who here really thinks they wouldn't consider the idea of catering this shard to them as well? Especially when a good portion of the 40-50 people left here aren't opposed to it. I'm sure they're looking for some way out of this mess.

Doesn't help that we don't give them any reason to help us. Like this nonsense.
As they saying goes... if you will flip you will flop.

In this case you have a trammlet (person who plays on a trammel server) playing in trammel with the trammel rules, now playing over there is one thing, but now you want to bring trammel here? We knew that you would flip but i never in a million years thought that you would ever flop. :(

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How much of a boost will we be talking about here?

To make a difference.

100% 200%

it would have to be a lot to allow the average person to equip in a reasonable amount of time.
Well, my idea was to let anyone farm silver, and also add in a faction artie cash in for silver box available to the public as well, and take the names off of the items, so any factioneer can wear what they loot, THEN drop prices by like half for starters.

But people didn't seem to like the idea of non faction people being involved. I don't know why really. It would just make getting silver, and thus suited up, easier and faster, and give everyone something to do.

Then add to that turning back on TOT, and have all classic dungeons have a tot like system that drops cursed artifacts and relic frags into your bag, and the issue of suiting up for anyone would dissipate greatly, and there would be new prey everywhere.

Seems like a win/win to me, while maintaining the spirit of the shard.

And honestly I don't think the difficulty in coding these items is that great, except for the non faction silver farming, which I don't really care that much about, just seems like a good idea. The rest is just turning things on that have been on before.

Really from what I see and read from devs is that its not the difficulty of a change always, but rather the impact the change will make being a question mark. They are always hesitant to make changes without spending a lot of time getting opinions, and mulling it over internally. So I think we just need to keep fighting for the right stuff, and eventually it will happen.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets just lock this thread now. It's been over a for a while...

We as players here, also can never seem to come to any agreements regarding much of anything, to help resolve population issues, regarding Siege.

It is as if, we are the opposing voices, of breaking down.

:sad4:

[youtube]JsnN-PvFJQo[/youtube]

Viscount Goop

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
NOOOOO! Insurance is one of the major reasons I moved to SP!! I hate it!!! What will become of our healthy rogue/thief population if they cant make a living!?And the vibrant player economy would suffer also!!! NO INSURANCE!!!!!! and for that matter...No changes to siege to bring it more in line w/ prodo shards! These are just my opinions but SP is the only thing that keeps me comming back to UO. I got tired of the lack of challenge on prodos and also wanted a shard that had more of an ol'school single-player feel. And none of the imature chats on global/general chats! I just feel if you put insurance into SP that would bring to many meatring trash talkers here and no one wants that!! Do they???

Last edited:

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don`t think SP needs insurance.

The biggest thing it needs is balance between factions and non factions. Factions should be trashed along with the ez mode arties gained from it. Monster Ignore needs to go the way of the dinosaur.

No insurance,better availabilty of all arties for everyone and order/chaos. Would make it alot easier for anyone to re-equip,specially with revamped dungeon loot on the table. I never want to see insurance on SP. The only way I`d support insurance is if it was only applicable to armor/weapon and once applied it made armor/weapon brittle or at the very least drops it to 100 Dur and unable to be repaired.

What the hell.... another necroed thread. :mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.