• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Insta suit switching during combat on EC

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is the only lively place in Internet where you can come to read and talk about UO as it is played on official shards. As it stands, it is the closest thing to official forums with couple of current devs having more posts here than myself for example. Not everybody who plays UO reads Stratics Forums but certainly all kinds of UO players do. I can't think of a single reason why this wouldn't be the case. There are no alternatives. Wanna talk about OSI-UO? This is where you do it. With this in mind, all kinds of attempts to profile " a typical stratics poster" or dress him/her into some odd nostalgia-lover clothes are doomed to be very inaccurate and futile, imo. All kinds of UO players use Stratics and post here.
Most just play the game... the way they always have... they don't bother reading anything and rely on guildmates etc to tell them all the new stuff... I personally could NEVER do that... I like to stay informed about stuff I care about... hence my being here and posting a LOT... and it was @Kyronix who pulled me aside at the 20th Anniversary party to get a "selfie" with "The Legend of Stratics" or something to that effect.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most just play the game... the way they always have.
Sure, but it still feels very likely Stratics provides a pretty wholesome miniature version of the UO community as a whole. ie, very suitable crowd for something like polls and so on.

Last edited:

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sure, but it still feels very likely Stratics provides a pretty wholesome miniature version of the UO community as a whole. ie, very suitable crowd for something like polls and so on.
lol no -- is self-selekted group, intense players w/ intense views. like having opinion booth at cirkus & getting opinions from cirkus goers who come 2 booth on their own, then saying u have sample 4 everyone, if they come 2 cirkus or not. all u have r people who go 2 cirkus & come 2 ur booth. not good sample.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wanting to talk and read about your favourite game or of your hobby ( or whatever UO is to whomever) online is..intense?oO

You lost me like half a dozen booths before your analogy came to an end, heh.

Wanting to talk or read about your favourite game online in and of itself doesn't tell much about you as a UO player, sorry. It'd be different were there two big forums with two very different tribes or something.

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably every user would say that about his personal forum of choice with at least some decent numbers of registered users...

Let's for instance take the client polls. The average poll here on these boards usually ends with roughly 67-33 in favor of CC. The official number is 50-50. They also said, that they would never abandon any client. Period. So even if the user distribution would be 80-20 in favor of the CC, the EC would stay. So, why would they lie about client usage numbers?
For me this is indication enough, that polls on stratics don't come close to actual facts...

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably every user would say that about his personal forum of choice with at least some decent numbers of registered users...
It's just that there is no choice as such. There is one larger, lively place for general discussion of BS-ran Ultima Online. If you wanna do that, this is where you do it.

Let's for instance take the client polls. The average poll here on these boards usually ends with roughly 67-33 in favor of CC. The official number is 50-50. They also said, that they would never abandon any client. Period. So even if the user distribution would be 80-20 in favor of the CC, the EC would stay. So, why would they lie about client usage numbers? For me this is indication enough, that polls on stratics don't come close to actual facts...
There are no official numbers that I know of.
Mesanna saying " About half" can mean like a dozen different things, including some 65-ish Vs.35-ish thing, which would fit in Stratics results too. That's a cool thing about numbers; less room for interpretation. BS never delivered any that I know of.Actual facts you speak of have never been shared.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's just that there is no choice as such. There is one larger, lively place for general discussion of BS-ran Ultima Online. If you wanna do that, this is where you do it.
I knew of a german big one. These days its quite deserted.
Judging by the size of the asian crowd, I'd bet, that there is an asian forum out there as well. But this is just a wild guess...
I also knew a lot of players, which didn't use a forum at all.

There are no official numbers that I know of.
Mesanna saying " About half" can mean like a dozen different things, including some 65-ish Vs.35-ish thing, which would fit in Stratics results too. That's a cool thing about numbers; less room for interpretation. BS never delivered any that I know of.Actual facts you speak of have never been shared.
Yes, you're right, an actual number never was shared, she just said "about half". But in my book that's roughly 50%. 45-55 would already be "more/less than half"-territory. But in the end it's just semantics.

Actual facts you speak of have never been shared.
I'm not referring to any actual facts here. The only time I used the word "facts" was in context with "polls on stratics", any polls, not necessarily about client usage. And also regardless, if the actual facts are known or not. I just wanted to say, that I believe, polls here on stratics are always off/biased.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
lol nice try? no not really. let's see.

i'll give shorter summary of short post just in case ur rushed (lol): just wanting to read & post is 'intense' relative 2 just playing; & we're an intense bunch anyway.

Wanting to talk and read about your favourite game or of your hobby ( or whatever UO is to whomever) online is..intense?oO
compared 2 just playing? yes. i played wow 4 awhile. posted nothing about it. had fun. left.

You lost me like half a dozen booths before your analogy came to an end, heh.
not my problem u can't follow lol

Wanting to talk or read about your favourite game online in and of itself doesn't tell much about you as a UO player, sorry. It'd be different were there two big forums with two very different tribes or something.
c above. relative to just playing yeah it says a lot. says you want 2 do more than just play, which 4 a game is pretty intense. not 2 mention that we're crazy even by THOSE standards.

2 examples of crazy just to start.

1 - new thread 4 classic server, a dumb idea that's been shot down many times.
2 - post from event saying, w/o proof, that new trade quest raider thingies made pets go wild & that this was intended 2 boost sales of pet bonding pots! come on now.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'd have much easier time making this argument if we were talking about Angry Birds or something. It is pretty common place to want to read about the MMO you play. Specially when it is a 20 year old subscription based MMO. Not everybody who plays UO posts or reads Stratics. All kinds of players do. Frankly, I'm amazed you feel there is something that can or should be argued in this. This is me saying water is wet and you replying with water 2 booth is 2 wet 4 u to c 4 cuz all type of idontevenknow.

For sake of argument, let's accept that an UO player reading or posting on Stratics is some sort of a significant intense explosion of intensity that sets him apart from normal UO players entirely. Do these people, these hard core players who are so serious or passionate and professional about their UO-gaming favor CC over EC for some reason?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When they introduced the hidden lower mana cast bonus to studded leather and bone armour. I don't think the original idea was to allow players to have 55%LMC and then also be able to just switch to a medable suit after they've dumped all their mana. I think the studded armour and bone armour was non medable because players were supposed to make a choice between having 55% LMC and non med or 40% LMC and med, not have both....

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When they introduced the hidden lower mana cast bonus to studded leather and bone armour. I don't think the original idea was to allow players to have 55%LMC and then also be able to just switch to a medable suit after they've dumped all their mana. I think the studded armour and bone armour was non medable because players were supposed to make a choice between having 55% LMC and non med or 40% LMC and med, not have both....

Why wouldn't they have thought of that?

Our hero who shall now be named as Bob, in 55% LMC armor ventures out into the world looking for treasure. Bob finds a deadly, cross-eyed bird foaming at the mouth - also known as a harpy. Bob spends all of his mana trying to kill the beast but alas, it still has 10% health left. Our clever hero, Bob, thought if he were to take off all his armor he could regain his mana quicker. Quickly he runs about 50 tiles away and takes off all his armor and waits for his mana to be replenished. His mana gets replenished and he puts his armor back on. Bob runs back to the beast from hell and 'Corp Por', 'Corp Por'..... it's dead...

Let's discuss Bob's decisions and how it would differ if he could throw off all his gear instantly. It took him all of 10 seconds to take his armor off (Bob had a lot of practice at this.) If Bob was able to do it instantly he would have saved himself 10 seconds, but he still had to then wait to regain his mana. Meanwhile someone else in 45% LMC armor was able to continuously cast spells, and kill the beast before Bob.

My point is that a player with 55% LMC that switches to a medable suit has the penalty of doing nothing to regain all his mana back. A player with 45% LMC isn't having to stop to regain mana because it is regaining while he casts the entire time. The difference insta-suit switching saves a person a small amount of time. However, insta-suit switching doesn't enable a player to do this, the player is more than capable of taking off and putting on armor without doing it instantly. In this case, it just saves time.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Our hero who shall now be named as Bob, in 55% LMC armor ventures out into the world looking for treasure. Bob finds a deadly, cross-eyed bird foaming at the mouth - also known as a harpy. Bob spends all of his mana trying to kill the beast but alas, it still has 10% health left. Our clever hero, Bob, thought if he were to take off all his armor he could regain his mana quicker. Quickly he runs about 50 tiles away and takes off all his armor and waits for his mana to be replenished. His mana gets replenished and he puts his armor back on. Bob runs back to the beast from hell and 'Corp Por', 'Corp Por'..... it's dead...

Let's discuss Bob's decisions and how it would differ if he could throw off all his gear instantly. It took him all of 10 seconds to take his armor off (Bob had a lot of practice at this.) If Bob was able to do it instantly he would have saved himself 10 seconds, but he still had to then wait to regain his mana. Meanwhile someone else in 45% LMC armor was able to continuously cast spells, and kill the beast before Bob.

My point is that a player with 55% LMC that switches to a medable suit has the penalty of doing nothing to regain all his mana back. A player with 45% LMC isn't having to stop to regain mana because it is regaining while he casts the entire time. The difference insta-suit switching saves a person a small amount of time. However, insta-suit switching doesn't enable a player to do this, the player is more than capable of taking off and putting on armor without doing it instantly. In this case, it just saves time.
Let's not forget that if bobs suit had int and mana increase mods his mana would have to regen even more once he puts his suit back on.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dexxer with elemental weap insta switch to +magery/eval suit with LRC FC/FCR to cast curse, great game clap clap beep boop.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
dexxer with elemental weap insta switch to +magery/eval suit with LRC FC/FCR to cast curse, great game clap clap beep boop.
How does curse and elemental weapon team up to be so powerful? Last I checked curse only lowers stats.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Please don't stereotype all harpy's like that! Theyre not all cross-eyed. :D