1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Broadsword team is seeking alternative castle designs! Learn more and discuss here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Broadsword is hosting a 20th Anniversary Party for UO this September! Learn more here. Will you be there, Guest?
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

I have played UO for 20 years!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Tyrath, Jul 16, 2017.

1. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Alpha and Omega

I worry about both you guys! :coco:

Ryz, Tyrath and Victim of Siege like this.
  2. Tyrath

Tyrath Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

3. sablestorm

sablestorm Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

So basically you're saying disregard everything you say because your opinion holds no weight... :D

4. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

you must be his wife, incognito.

Tyrath, TheDrAJ and Uriah Heep like this.
  5. Tyrath

Tyrath Crazed Zealot

Nope what I am saying is WE the old vets have created a lot of the divisions because a lot of us think we are really something special, when in reality the 1 year vet is just as special if not more so than the people that built the so called foundation of the community that has been crumbling for quite sometime. What everyone is calling negative is not negative it is people in the community trying to save this community. The old vets that sit in their little castles talking down to everyone and somehow eluding that they Mes. chosen few are a real turn off to everyone including a lot of us other old UO vets. That is not spite or jealousy that is reality. If they are not going to listen to everyone then they need to listen to no one. M. does not really need to laugh at legit questions at the meet and greets and blow them off, and then take one of the chosens questions about something no gives a damn about and expand on it. Still enough common ground for the community to come together and the Dev team to be a active part and start rebuilding on a new community foundation together. It is not just here on these boards, that people are expressing their discontent. I have watched friend after friend leave in disgust of how things were and are going. Whether it be the grind that is appealing only to scripters, the multiboxing to get the high end drops em or otherwise, the just plain trash that is allowed to do whatever they want without consequence, and then see the special folks preach how great UO is and how great everything in game is. When M cops to using illegal 3rd party programs and tells the masses win anyway you can. WTF is that! Heck alot of the vets will even argue that scripting and multiboxing barely exist, most likely because they are engaged in those activities or need to get out of Luna bank or their castles now and then. Sure there are still great aspects in pockets of the COmmunity and I still loce UO as much as I did the day I opened that birthday present that had it in it. What I am not loving is watching the slow slide to edge of the cliff.

Uriah Heep, ShriNayne and Polaris75 like this.
  6. Tyrath

Tyrath Crazed Zealot

LOL you have seen the comments she leaves me on my FB page :) She makes the worst Stratics trolls look like tame sheep at times :)

Victim of Siege likes this.
  7. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Alpha and Omega

The biggest problem UO has had since it's inception is a total lack of advertisement. Look at almost any other game and you see ads.

8. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Stratics Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter The Valorian Knights

I agree completely. They don't even take advantage of free advertising like going to gaming conventions such as E3 where all the other game designers are showing off their games. UO isn't going to be the coolest looking game in the room of course, but just getting the name out there would entice some people to try it and get some free media attention.

ShriNayne, Tyrath and TheDrAJ like this.
  9. Tyrath

Tyrath Crazed Zealot

There is a rather large market for the retro games, particularly among us old folks :)

10. Tyrath

Tyrath Crazed Zealot

I think they did OK there for a while with the 7th 8th and 9th anni stuff Its like everything they were doing right marketing wise just fell apart at the SE release. (Still waiting on my 7 SE Preorders that were billed but never arrived or refunded :) LOL) Am starting to think they never will ;) ML, SA, HS, The Boosters, TOL KR I saw couple of write ups on ......... But Since SE ZERO shelf presence, ZERO Online presence, and not much word of mouth. Lots of free advertising out there in the social media and online world. Hate to say it but some version of F2P on a decent platform would help bring new people in but whether the gamehoppers would stick around is debatable.

11. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Seasoned Veteran

One year vets are such a rarity they should be treated as special! :(

It seems that the recurring theme for most older players is a sense of community, yes I agree it is hugely important!
    EA started the break-down of the UO community when they brought in AoS, pretty much over-night the community spirit started going down-hill, not to mention a lot of people left.

UO might not be the best looking game or the coolest, but it's 20 years old and the original concepts were so well done we are still here 20 years later. What EA did to the game later was not always good, but at it's core it is still worthwhile. The question is, if and how can we save it?

I don't think people are trying to be negative for the sake of it, I think they can all see the problems because they see them every day.

Returning players can see UO through nostalgic eyes, new players won't be doing that.
    One of the frequent questions asked by returners is 'What the hell happened to Despise'? Usually followed by total disgust when they are told what happened. New Haven and Despise are prime examples of Devs totally out of touch with what people wanted.
    How can we start this 'Endless Journey' with things as they are? On Europa we give help to new players, but not all shards have this, there is not a well-thought out new player experience.

A few times recently we have had people come to the Bank Meeting on Europa and they want to make a mage, they did some quests at Haven, but where is the Spell-weaving new player quest? Where is the Mysticism one? The new player experience should encompass all skills and the accelerated gains should be in a wider area.
    All new players seem to get is frustrated.

Minerva Foxglove, TheDrAJ and Tyrath like this.
  12. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I told them SEVERAL times to leave Despise alone and if they wanted to bork something use Deceit NO ONE goes there... pretty much.... but NOOOOOO they wouldn't listen and destroyed the best dungeon in the game...

ShriNayne likes this.
  13. ShriNayne

Amen to that! What the hell were they thinking? :(

14. Tyrath

Tyrath Crazed Zealot

I came back after my traditional time out of game over the summer market season. Went to despise to train up some melee skills and farm some spined and was like wth is this place. Went down and was like Really wth is this place. Used to be able to go from 50-120 combat skills in despise working your way up from Lizard men-ettins-els-ogres-trolls-OL-Cyclops-Titans or just go to the OLs, cyclops and titans for higher level training or pet training. Have not been back since that at least tram side. Not opposed to going to fel but a 50s-70s skills character does not last long when the PvPs roll through. The haven mine looks like it was just tossed together and out of order to boot. Liz men should be top floor and the els and OLs bottom but mixing the liz men and the OLs together is like WTF how is this even remotely new player friendly. Not to mention usually getting ganked by 3 els as soon as you go into the mine. Not seeing where a lot of real noobs would survive 3 els or even be able to get their corpse full of noob stuff back. I am not overly impressed with wrong either :) But atleast they left the orc mine alone ;)

15. ShriNayne

Why put a new dungeon into Haven which is clearly intended for new players which is so dangerous they usually only go in once?! I'm not a new player but the number of times I got stuck somewhere in that damn mine because of those stupid tracks and got mobbed by angry earth ellies... :(

Slayvite, Minerva Foxglove and Tyrath like this.
  16. Tyrath

Tyrath Crazed Zealot

Wellit is good for letting high end pets beat on the OLs LOL

ShriNayne likes this.
  17. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I won't send new players into there to train skills... I send them to the desert outside Zento to kill beetles but there they get ZERO gold since (**$&# beetles for some stupid reason don't carry gold ...... so I feel sorry for the newbies... I'd send them to the lizard camp in Illsh but getting there is a nightmare and paragons spawn there. Not really "newb" friendly.

I would send them to some of the orc forts but the mages are a problem for newer players.

And your right that new haven dungeon is a JOKE new players can't survive that even with the "bonus" that isn't a bonus armor and such crap that they get from completing some of the skill training in Haven... which seriously can't they get something decent??? Whomever came up with that idea for newbs ought to be flogged with a wet noodle.... or something... stripped tarred and feathered. Send them in there with the crap you get from Haven at 50 skill and see how well they do.

Tyrath, TheDrAJ and Minerva Foxglove like this.
  18. ShriNayne

If I remember rightly, the New Haven quests originally had slightly better rewards when they were first announced, but people complained that they were too good and they didn't get anything nice for free when they started...so all the rewards got nerfed! Why are people so selfish? Now the poor new players can't stay alive long enough for their 'young' status to wear off...
    Also that piffly little bag of regs they get is a joke!

Tyrath likes this.
  19. Tyrath

Tyrath Crazed Zealot

And that is exactly the kind of example of the Community building of which I speak. Or is it community killing ;)

ShriNayne and Minerva Foxglove like this.
  20. Blackie

Blackie Journeyman

I agree about the reg bag being too empty for new mages. When you start out as a new mage you can only cast a couple of spells before being out of regs and since your spellbook is missing some spells, and the NPC doesn't sell them all, you can't even recall anywhere. 1000g to start doesn't buy much of anything these days, especially not a 100% LRC suit.

ShriNayne likes this.
  21. Slayvite

Slayvite Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend

It's ok though, because they are "re-vamping" the new player experience.........right after they sort out the Account management.
    :facepalm:

Tyrath likes this.
  22. ShriNayne

Ahhh so it all happens...soon?! :(

Victim of Siege and Tyrath like this.
  23. Tyrath

Tyrath Crazed Zealot

VERY VERY VERY SOON! Like in the next 5-10 years SOON ;)

24. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

tl;dr

moongate roulette!!! >.<

25. Murdok

Murdok Slightly Crazed

[​IMG] uo.png

Been a long time here too... bone wall... silver vanq weapons.. brit bank pop.. brit smithy with several smiths there to repair armor for tips... loosing days of skill gain to reverts.. playing on dial up and having someone call and knocking out your connection.. o ya fun times!