• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I have played UO for 20 years!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep seeing that pop up in game and various boards and usually used as a qualifier for the dribble to follow. Guess what a whole lot of us have been playing UO for 20 years. I guess that is why I am seeing qualifiers like Powerful Elders and Knowledgeable 20 year Vets being used more. There is not a lot of difference in a 20 year vet and10 or a 15 year vet other than us 20 year vets remember how bad or good the first few years were depending on our perspective. And of course more years to collect and hoard more junk.

I see way too many powerful and knowledgeable 20 year vets that still remain more interested in maintaining the status quo and pretending to to be very important people in the game. But I hate to break to them, we are no more or less important than the person that just paid their first sub. And actually probably less important because we are already hooked and are not going anywhere at this point. We might close 3/4ths of our accts in frustration and even actually leave the game for a while but if we have made it this far odds are we are going to at most hop off the train for a smoke break and eventually get back on. Not all but most.

Being able to spout how things were back in 1997 and 1998 is great for history and really means nothing today. It really stopped meaning anything after REN and even less after AOS. UO is not even the same game today that it was even 5 years ago. So waving around the 20 year vet flag really does not make you special, it just makes you old. There is a old saying "There are Elders and there are the Elderly, one is to be respected and listened to and the other taken care of pitied." I see a lot of Elderly with 20 year vet flags on their mobility scooters :)

UO right now has some serious problems ranging from account management to the blatant and beyond obvious cheating to the absolute filth GC on many shards has became. To ignore or worse accept this without saying anything is not the right thing to do. Whether you are a 20 year vet and one of the Special Mes crew or 1 year vet on the verge of getting your first 3 vet reward picks. I am not going to sit down and eat a bowl of turd stew just because several of the Elderly think it is good and wholesome :)

I sense a bit of jealousy mixed with spite. Before UO there were MUDS, and 20 year vets tend to appreciate UO just a bit more sometimes which is why its still here. It is what it is.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sense a bit of jealousy mixed with spite. Before UO there were MUDS, and 20 year vets tend to appreciate UO just a bit more sometimes which is why its still here. It is what it is.
Yeah I am just full of jealousy and spite, NOT more like disgusted with the sheer arrogance and condescending tone the self perceived elite exude. Appreciate it more or believes that it gives us some special standing? If the so called malcontents like myself did not appreciate the game we would have been gone long ago like pre tram :) In fact I would argue we appreciate it so much we don't want to just sit by and watch it swirl down the toilet.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best post ever! The newer players are more active and eager to learn and catch up while the older are more eager to keep things as they are or were. Not adventuring as much or needing things and shopping ..Also wanting to get treated as they were more important than others. Noone can help they were too young to play when UO came out! Maybe not even born. All that pay their subscriptions are equally important, unless they cheat or behave badly .
I feel so sorry for the new ones that missed all thoose early years. I know how it irks me I wasnt here the two first years ! But there was no Trammel atleast so i have that experience. Everyobne didnt have a comp or net not to mention the knowledge there was this ..or any games out there. My kids had to come home from scool (at 12 and 14 years old) and start playing on our truly crappy outdayed office comp and a 56 k modem before I knew!
I have this treasure of old memorys and still have some old friends left , but the game changed alot so im old and outdated now compared to the younger and of no joy for people selling stuff , and certainly not more important than anyone else. :scholar:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best post ever! The newer players are more active and eager to learn and catch up while the older are more eager to keep things as they are or were. Not adventuring as much or needing things and shopping ..Also wanting to get treated as they were more important than others. Noone can help they were too young to play when UO came out! Maybe not even born. All that pay their subscriptions are equally important, unless they cheat or behave badly .
I feel so sorry for the new ones that missed all thoose early years. I know how it irks me I wasnt here the two first years ! But there was no Trammel atleast so i have that experience. Everyobne didnt have a comp or net not to mention the knowledge there was this ..or any games out there. My kids had to come home from scool (at 12 and 14 years old) and start playing on our truly crappy outdayed office comp and a 56 k modem before I knew!
I have this treasure of old memorys and still have some old friends left , but the game changed alot so im old and outdated now compared to the younger and of no joy for people selling stuff , and certainly not more important than anyone else. :scholar:
UO was just the bomb on the 36.6 modem on a 200mmx system :) I actually miss those days and remember them very fondly. LOL UO turns 20 just a few days before I turn 50 and will never forget my kids giving me the wrapped package with UO in it and a new wallet ( LOL still using the same wallet and still have the first UO Box, hmmm and come to think about still have the old 200mmx system boxed up in one of the barns.) Don't feel bad being old and outdated, it probably just means you are not ate up with need and greed :)

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No offense but when the game came out in 97 parts of it really sucked.

Originally they had a great idea to have an economy where shop keepers only bought items if players bought from them (so they had money to buy from players). But the backlash from players killed this and part of the reason the economy of all shards (except Siege) is so bad was the exploits of selling to NPCs.

I remember logging in the first couple of weeks and all the town NPCs wanted me to kill another NPC. It was madness.

I remember working hard to get up to 95.2 magery and walking by another player doing healing and my magery dropped to 85.2 and my healing went up from 2 to 12 (this was long before skill locks!). In fact walking by a player starting a campfire could lower your skills by increasing camping!

I remember placing my first house and minutes later I was pked and lost my house key with no way to change the lock.

I remember after placing another house, piling goods on the floor (before lockdowns) and having a thief sneak in and clean out my entire house.

I remember getting guard wacked in yew for killing a rabbit!

etc
etc
etc
etc

Even with all these "features" I enjoyed the game, but the changes made the game better to play (mostly).

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No offense but when the game came out in 97 parts of it really sucked.

Originally they had a great idea to have an economy where shop keepers only bought items if players bought from them (so they had money to buy from players). But the backlash from players killed this and part of the reason the economy of all shards (except Siege) is so bad was the exploits of selling to NPCs.

I remember logging in the first couple of weeks and all the town NPCs wanted me to kill another NPC. It was madness.

I remember working hard to get up to 95.2 magery and walking by another player doing healing and my magery dropped to 85.2 and my healing went up from 2 to 12 (this was long before skill locks!). In fact walking by a player starting a campfire could lower your skills by increasing camping!

I remember placing my first house and minutes later I was pked and lost my house key with no way to change the lock.

I remember after placing another house, piling goods on the floor (before lockdowns) and having a thief sneak in and clean out my entire house.

I remember getting guard wacked in yew for killing a rabbit!

etc
etc
etc
etc

Even with all these "features" I enjoyed the game, but the changes made the game better to play (mostly).
Ahh, good times :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL Thank YOU for posting that, I forgot about that one and how you went up or down based on what what someone near you was doing! Guessing at one point or another you played the naked mage with a bag of regs way :)

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ohh that reminds me - I collected tons (well maybe a few hundred) of reagents since the cost to buy was around 9-12 gold per and then one day they dropped the cost to 3-5 and I lost half my investment.

and believe me it took a lot to gather reagents laying around!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ohh that reminds me - I collected tons (well maybe a few hundred) of reagents since the cost to buy was around 9-12 gold per and then one day they dropped the cost to 3-5 and I lost half my investment.

and believe me it took a lot to gather reagents laying around!
Everything then took a lot longer to gather and get back to the bank alive with. 10k gold was a small fortune and unless you could make it, it hurt to lose that set of GM armor. A blacksmith or tailor could make a good living in those days. Still can I guess but it sure is a lot more complicated now.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In having played in a time when harvesting hides for weeks just to buy a tent deed only to have it stolen by a thief on the road to Trinsic from Britain , it built character and true fellowship. Its the older players who played through the constant servers going down, bugs, internet 14.4 modem lag and the initial quest to claim land before it filled up for housing who truly appreciate UO. So, even though so many claim UO is going down the toilet, its really not because the community is still alive. I don't play video games in general. However, I do play UO because of its unique community and if it wasn't for UO you would never see me on the computer other than doing work emails. Its hard to explain UO to the newer kids because to them its just another game to try from origin store. However, to the true veteran player who was here from the start who made the friendships, its something newer players just don't get. Some do get it to a degree but to most all you hear them say on stratics is how UO is dead. Well, I have been hearing UO is dead since publish 16 and its still here. So yeah, the old vets know the deal.
Thanks for creating your stratics account 8 days ago so you could explain to the rest of us what it's like to support a game and it's fan sights for 20 yrs.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Unfortunately in some ways it was too realistic to start with, the concept was way ahead of it's time, also Richard Gariott maybe needed to think more about human nature and how it would affect his game world. I still think his original crafting system is one of the best and most realistic in any game, it's mostly quite logical. :D

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately in some ways it was too realistic to start with, the concept was way ahead of it's time, also Richard Gariott maybe needed to think more about human nature and how it would affect his game world. I still think his original crafting system is one of the best and most realistic in any game, it's mostly quite logical. :D
Allowed to much room for the darkside of human nature to dominate :) Which is a large part of the problems we are seeing today in the realms of scripting and multiboxing etc. It appears there is no control over the folks that employ those things. The pure garbage you see in GC is well below tasteless and again zero control of it. The answer turn Chat off is the only real way but then you are being denied a part of the game that you pay for.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Everyone, please stop personally bashing each other. This thread is already going downhill pretty fast and at this rate looks like it'll just end up locked if things keep going the way they are.

The thread has been cleaned up and some posts have been removed.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Tyrath said, "the blatant and beyond obvious cheating to the absolute filth GC on many shards has became"

What are you talking about?
What "obvious cheating"? What does GC mean? (general chat?)

I'm a 20 year vet and have no idea what you're talking about.
I have no issues with General Chat and I don't see much duping anymore.

Stop talking in riddles

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember the first days. I wish the game started with a tram rule set. Maybe there would be a community left. That's my opinion. Yes, you all must suffer from some jack ass that stole my first shadow iron suit of armor and the person who stole my first house key when he pretended he wanted to take me out of town to show me some cool things to do. I would have been fine without those experiences.

Now I just play and have fun 8 - 10 hours a day and come here to look at all the complaining about how bad things are.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is an awesome game and its clear the OP just wants to tell us how bad it is. Like everything, it goes through changes but its the community that makes it worth playing.
You mean the community that is a fraction of what was and still going down :)

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It's clear as day and yes you clearly are as per the intention of your post. I'm sorry you were either too young, or didn't make it to Electronics Botique to buy the game or your parents didn't allow you to play but yeah its the people who were here from day one that are the bedrock of the community. It is what it is. I'm not trying to be mean to you but the OP in general is a negative post and can produce nothing positive in itself other than to offend people who built the UO community on day one as you inform them of how special you are and how special they are not. Surely there are better subjects to bring up on stratics? If UO is so bad for you then find a new game, there are many more out there. Many of us like UO because unlike you we've been here from the start to appreciate it.
Labels are a problem as much as in-game as they are out of game. The backbone of the community are the players that play consistently, support new players, old players, and returning players. They also support the community and do things for the better of the community. Sure there are day one vets still playing and doing that while there are newer players doing the same thing. People talk about account age but it truly is irrelevant other than history and use of shard shields. Many original vets have taken breaks from the game and newer players stepped in and took up the slack in helping others and being that backbone. All the arguing that our community does, does nothing towards bringing in new players and many times makes returning players let their accounts lapse shortly after re-subbing. We all love the game and should be working together to better it rather than bash each other. If our community could work together, maybe we could get Broadsword and EA to listen more and do more for the game. You say original vets are the backbone, so show it. Step up and do things for all players and be that backbone.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Labels are a problem as much as in-game as they are out of game. The backbone of the community are the players that play consistently, support new players, old players, and returning players. They also support the community and do things for the better of the community. Sure there are day one vets still playing and doing that while there are newer players doing the same thing. People talk about account age but it truly is irrelevant other than history and use of shard shields. Many original vets have taken breaks from the game and newer players stepped in and took up the slack in helping others and being that backbone. All the arguing that our community does, does nothing towards bringing in new players and many times makes returning players let their accounts lapse shortly after re-subbing. We all love the game and should be working together to better it rather than bash each other. If our community could work together, maybe we could get Broadsword and EA to listen more and do more for the game. You say original vets are the backbone, so show it. Step up and do things for all players and be that backbone.
And that is pretty much where I was going with the original post. One groups does not see any problems, one group sees the problems and is annoyed by them and another group is getting very frustrated by them to the point of closing accounts and leaving. Right now we don't need more leaving and the arrogance by some is not helping. Denial of there being serious problems and pretending everything is wonderful does nothing to making things better. I don't think any of us would be here if we did not love UO and for a multitude of reasons. The so called negative post mine included are the frustration with the worst aspects of the game seemingly being allowed to continue unchecked and that IS hurting the overall community and every sub community in the game whether some want to accept it or not.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I've been doing it for years brother. I help out new players to find house spots to place, usually give them a million gold each once im sure they are new players, help them with gear and info in my shops. A person who helps people doesn't have to brag that he/she does to appease people on stratics. I have more than plenty and never had a problem helping the newer ones so they stay. However when they start spouting how UO is crap and its dead then that's their problem they need to figure out. I'm more like my old buddy Les Stroud when it comes to dealing with stupidity in UO. You can only do so much for certain people. Some appreciate it and others will tell you how wrong you are and how bad you are because you played longer and have more than they do.
A true back of the community wouldn't label people...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratulations on insulting me several times personally without receiving the warning that I definitely would have received. I stated a fact, you're slinging insults.
Dang Garth you get off easy I would have gotten a warning for posting what you just posted LOL.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Everyone, please stop personally bashing each other. This thread is already going downhill pretty fast and at this rate looks like it'll just end up locked if things keep going the way they are.

The thread has been cleaned up and some posts have been removed.
You mean the community that is a fraction of what was and still going down :)
*Personally bashes Tyrath* :twak:

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We all would of never lasted for 20 years without each other. With all our different play styles is what made it possible to make it to 20 years. so thank you all for the love and hate lets try for another 20 years and more

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to remove the doubts here is my 6th to the oldest accts creation date :) Would take screenies of the oldest 5 but they are another master acct that I can't access atm :)

ANd TY to the folks that reminded me that I could use the acct management as proof of age :)

acct6.png

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My oldest but I took a long break after I was fed up with PKs. Then two more to play Diablo 2 and Diablo 3.

upload_2017-7-17_0-26-57.png

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My oldest but I took a long break after I was fed up with PKs. Then two more to play Diablo 2 and Diablo 3.

View attachment 69338
LOL my first is 9-27 or 9-28 of 1997 and 3 more in October 97 and I just kept wracking up accts a couple per year after that. 2002 and 2003 must have been good years since I have like a dozen accounts with those years lol. Did have a couple year break when I got recalled to go kill people and break things IRL.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to call BS when I see it. The BS I see here is the assumption that new players are eager to play a great game as it was intended to be played.

In fact if you visit forums of popular scripting sites you will read a metric ton of posts about "Hi, just re-subbed, I need to get such and such script working ASAP" or "I'm trying out UO, what script do you recommend for such and such". There are MORE "Hi, I'm new to UO" type posts on the scripting sites than on stratics per month!

It seems the new blood starts out crooked these days and why wouldn't they when scripting isn't actually regulated on any level.
Not really sure what to make of this or even who you are calling BS on.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So please feel free to locate my old info for stratics and then I will be happy to log in on that accnt to make you happy
PW recovery on stratics is a fairly easy process and I am sure the staff would be able to help you. I believe the last time I needed to recover my acct I just hit Forgot PW entered the acct name and the recovery was in the email shortly after. unless you stopped using stratics before the whatever migration it was and didn't make a new acct. then like original Rictus name it just kind of ceased to exist.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was gonna report you for reporting him, for reporting me but then I forgot what I was doing and reported us all for being old farts o.0
What are you doing up this early......... for that matter what am I doing up this early!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What are you doing up this early......... for that matter what am I doing up this early!
I am up every workday at 4:00am to start the day of stress and BS. Gotta get a jump on the BS or it piles up fast.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am up every workday at 4:00am to start the day of stress and BS. Gotta get a jump on the BS or it piles up fast.[/QUOTE

LOL which reminds me why I got up early...... to take that axle off the trailer and get the spring hangers changed before the wonderful heat and humidity set in :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Damn that coffee, it's always out to get us . . .
I am punishing myself while drinking the coffee...... BAD MIKE BAD THOUGH SHALL NOT GO 60MPH across the pasture and and break shackles and bend spring hangers! BAD MIKE BAD!!!