• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I have played UO for 20 years!

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep seeing that pop up in game and various boards and usually used as a qualifier for the dribble to follow. Guess what a whole lot of us have been playing UO for 20 years. I guess that is why I am seeing qualifiers like Powerful Elders and Knowledgeable 20 year Vets being used more. There is not a lot of difference in a 20 year vet and10 or a 15 year vet other than us 20 year vets remember how bad or good the first few years were depending on our perspective. And of course more years to collect and hoard more junk.

I see way too many powerful and knowledgeable 20 year vets that still remain more interested in maintaining the status quo and pretending to to be very important people in the game. But I hate to break to them, we are no more or less important than the person that just paid their first sub. And actually probably less important because we are already hooked and are not going anywhere at this point. We might close 3/4ths of our accts in frustration and even actually leave the game for a while but if we have made it this far odds are we are going to at most hop off the train for a smoke break and eventually get back on. Not all but most.

Being able to spout how things were back in 1997 and 1998 is great for history and really means nothing today. It really stopped meaning anything after REN and even less after AOS. UO is not even the same game today that it was even 5 years ago. So waving around the 20 year vet flag really does not make you special, it just makes you old. There is a old saying "There are Elders and there are the Elderly, one is to be respected and listened to and the other taken care of pitied." I see a lot of Elderly with 20 year vet flags on their mobility scooters :)

UO right now has some serious problems ranging from account management to the blatant and beyond obvious cheating to the absolute filth GC on many shards has became. To ignore or worse accept this without saying anything is not the right thing to do. Whether you are a 20 year vet and one of the Special Mes crew or 1 year vet on the verge of getting your first 3 vet reward picks. I am not going to sit down and eat a bowl of turd stew just because several of the Elderly think it is good and wholesome :)
So basically you're saying disregard everything you say because your opinion holds no weight... :D

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So basically you're saying disregard everything you say because your opinion holds no weight... :D
Nope what I am saying is WE the old vets have created a lot of the divisions because a lot of us think we are really something special, when in reality the 1 year vet is just as special if not more so than the people that built the so called foundation of the community that has been crumbling for quite sometime. What everyone is calling negative is not negative it is people in the community trying to save this community. The old vets that sit in their little castles talking down to everyone and somehow eluding that they Mes. chosen few are a real turn off to everyone including a lot of us other old UO vets. That is not spite or jealousy that is reality. If they are not going to listen to everyone then they need to listen to no one. M. does not really need to laugh at legit questions at the meet and greets and blow them off, and then take one of the chosens questions about something no gives a damn about and expand on it. Still enough common ground for the community to come together and the Dev team to be a active part and start rebuilding on a new community foundation together. It is not just here on these boards, that people are expressing their discontent. I have watched friend after friend leave in disgust of how things were and are going. Whether it be the grind that is appealing only to scripters, the multiboxing to get the high end drops em or otherwise, the just plain trash that is allowed to do whatever they want without consequence, and then see the special folks preach how great UO is and how great everything in game is. When M cops to using illegal 3rd party programs and tells the masses win anyway you can. WTF is that! Heck alot of the vets will even argue that scripting and multiboxing barely exist, most likely because they are engaged in those activities or need to get out of Luna bank or their castles now and then. Sure there are still great aspects in pockets of the COmmunity and I still loce UO as much as I did the day I opened that birthday present that had it in it. What I am not loving is watching the slow slide to edge of the cliff.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The biggest problem UO has had since it's inception is a total lack of advertisement. Look at almost any other game and you see ads.
I agree completely. They don't even take advantage of free advertising like going to gaming conventions such as E3 where all the other game designers are showing off their games. UO isn't going to be the coolest looking game in the room of course, but just getting the name out there would entice some people to try it and get some free media attention.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree completely. They don't even take advantage of free advertising like going to gaming conventions such as E3 where all the other game designers are showing off their games. UO isn't going to be the coolest looking game in the room of course, but just getting the name out there would entice some people to try it and get some free media attention.
There is a rather large market for the retro games, particularly among us old folks :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The biggest problem UO has had since it's inception is a total lack of advertisement. Look at almost any other game and you see ads.
I think they did OK there for a while with the 7th 8th and 9th anni stuff Its like everything they were doing right marketing wise just fell apart at the SE release. (Still waiting on my 7 SE Preorders that were billed but never arrived or refunded :) LOL) Am starting to think they never will ;) ML, SA, HS, The Boosters, TOL KR I saw couple of write ups on ......... But Since SE ZERO shelf presence, ZERO Online presence, and not much word of mouth. Lots of free advertising out there in the social media and online world. Hate to say it but some version of F2P on a decent platform would help bring new people in but whether the gamehoppers would stick around is debatable.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
One year vets are such a rarity they should be treated as special! :(

It seems that the recurring theme for most older players is a sense of community, yes I agree it is hugely important!
EA started the break-down of the UO community when they brought in AoS, pretty much over-night the community spirit started going down-hill, not to mention a lot of people left.

UO might not be the best looking game or the coolest, but it's 20 years old and the original concepts were so well done we are still here 20 years later. What EA did to the game later was not always good, but at it's core it is still worthwhile. The question is, if and how can we save it?

I don't think people are trying to be negative for the sake of it, I think they can all see the problems because they see them every day.

Returning players can see UO through nostalgic eyes, new players won't be doing that.
One of the frequent questions asked by returners is 'What the hell happened to Despise'? Usually followed by total disgust when they are told what happened. New Haven and Despise are prime examples of Devs totally out of touch with what people wanted.
How can we start this 'Endless Journey' with things as they are? On Europa we give help to new players, but not all shards have this, there is not a well-thought out new player experience.

A few times recently we have had people come to the Bank Meeting on Europa and they want to make a mage, they did some quests at Haven, but where is the Spell-weaving new player quest? Where is the Mysticism one? The new player experience should encompass all skills and the accelerated gains should be in a wider area.
All new players seem to get is frustrated.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I told them SEVERAL times to leave Despise alone and if they wanted to bork something use Deceit NO ONE goes there... pretty much.... but NOOOOOO they wouldn't listen and destroyed the best dungeon in the game...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I told them SEVERAL times to leave Despise alone and if they wanted to bork something use Deceit NO ONE goes there... pretty much.... but NOOOOOO they wouldn't listen and destroyed the best dungeon in the game...
Amen to that! What the hell were they thinking? :(

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I came back after my traditional time out of game over the summer market season. Went to despise to train up some melee skills and farm some spined and was like wth is this place. Went down and was like Really wth is this place. Used to be able to go from 50-120 combat skills in despise working your way up from Lizard men-ettins-els-ogres-trolls-OL-Cyclops-Titans or just go to the OLs, cyclops and titans for higher level training or pet training. Have not been back since that at least tram side. Not opposed to going to fel but a 50s-70s skills character does not last long when the PvPs roll through. The haven mine looks like it was just tossed together and out of order to boot. Liz men should be top floor and the els and OLs bottom but mixing the liz men and the OLs together is like WTF how is this even remotely new player friendly. Not to mention usually getting ganked by 3 els as soon as you go into the mine. Not seeing where a lot of real noobs would survive 3 els or even be able to get their corpse full of noob stuff back. I am not overly impressed with wrong either :) But atleast they left the orc mine alone ;)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Why put a new dungeon into Haven which is clearly intended for new players which is so dangerous they usually only go in once?! I'm not a new player but the number of times I got stuck somewhere in that damn mine because of those stupid tracks and got mobbed by angry earth ellies... :(

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why put a new dungeon into Haven which is clearly intended for new players which is so dangerous they usually only go in once?! I'm not a new player but the number of times I got stuck somewhere in that damn mine because of those stupid tracks and got mobbed by angry earth ellies... :(
Wellit is good for letting high end pets beat on the OLs LOL

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I won't send new players into there to train skills... I send them to the desert outside Zento to kill beetles but there they get ZERO gold since (**$&# beetles for some stupid reason don't carry gold ...... so I feel sorry for the newbies... I'd send them to the lizard camp in Illsh but getting there is a nightmare and paragons spawn there. Not really "newb" friendly.

I would send them to some of the orc forts but the mages are a problem for newer players.

And your right that new haven dungeon is a JOKE new players can't survive that even with the "bonus" that isn't a bonus armor and such crap that they get from completing some of the skill training in Haven... which seriously can't they get something decent??? Whomever came up with that idea for newbs ought to be flogged with a wet noodle.... or something... stripped tarred and feathered. Send them in there with the crap you get from Haven at 50 skill and see how well they do.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If I remember rightly, the New Haven quests originally had slightly better rewards when they were first announced, but people complained that they were too good and they didn't get anything nice for free when they started...so all the rewards got nerfed! Why are people so selfish? Now the poor new players can't stay alive long enough for their 'young' status to wear off...
Also that piffly little bag of regs they get is a joke!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I remember rightly, the New Haven quests originally had slightly better rewards when they were first announced, but people complained that they were too good and they didn't get anything nice for free when they started...so all the rewards got nerfed! Why are people so selfish? Now the poor new players can't stay alive long enough for their 'young' status to wear off...
Also that piffly little bag of regs they get is a joke!
And that is exactly the kind of example of the Community building of which I speak. Or is it community killing ;)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's ok though, because they are "re-vamping" the new player experience.........right after they sort out the Account management.
:facepalm:

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
tl;dr

moongate roulette!!! >.<

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
uo.png

Been a long time here too... bone wall... silver vanq weapons.. brit bank pop.. brit smithy with several smiths there to repair armor for tips... loosing days of skill gain to reverts.. playing on dial up and having someone call and knocking out your connection.. o ya fun times!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LOL I finally broke down and got a second phone line back then and gave no one the number............ Yet the occasional telemarketer would call and bump my connection always at a critical time.
Amazing how that happens isn't it.... I would complain to the ISP about getting dropped every 20 min... they blamed the phone company and told me it was bad... the phone company said there was NO NOISE in my phoneline but agreed for $400 to add another line from the box to my house for me... free of noise... which still dropped every 20 min... The ISP still maintained it was noise in my phone... then had the audacity to tell me to get their cable service... to which I said YOU DON'T OFFER CABLE HERE! At which they would go "of course we do!" and I'd maintain NO YOU DO NOT... and then they would look and go... "Oh.... I'm sorry there is nothing I can do." so the instant another company the cable TV provider started offering cable internet service I jumped ship and never looked back... they called me DAILY to get me to switch back... I told them where to shove that...

However I'll say that it didn't take long before the cable internet became worse than dial up was because there is basically only one ISP available here... and they know it. So whoever it is that has it knows it's the only reliable game in town and we have no where else to go... so they pile on people until it is overloaded and then wait far too long to upgrade us... I made them give me my internet for free for almost the whole year... however after they did that nearly a year the City finally had enough and started looking into providing the internet and such sending out surveys and the like .... must have scared them enough to pull it together and finally upgrade us to nice fiber optics and such... high speeds up to 1G... however I pay for the 150mbs Though I actually get somewhere up to 250mbs... so... no complaints now.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This thread has been cleaned up a little, please do not publicly discuss moderator actions. If you want to dispute a warning, thread lock etc. send an email to [email protected] instead of posting it publicly, since only the board is able to do anything about it.

Miss Twilight Eyes

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right? Usually I start hearing about new things way before they come out. I don't think I had even heard of UO in December 1997 when one of my friends made me come over and play it at his house because he knew I'd played all of the stand alone Ultima games and was a huge fan. And of course now I can blame UO on him.... I started playing and he stopped. (And he had a t1 line at his house, I only had DSL until I started working for a backbone provider and playing at work... And now I live out in the middle of nowhere and have tried multiple providers but am just too far out to get good internet. So I've been playing -- gasp -- games that don't require internet. And D3 because new season.)

God, the days before skill lock. o_O

(and yes, I had a stratics account a long time ago but then I sold my email domain name and then they changed formats or something.) :p

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sometimes wonder what void my original stratics account went to reside in :) Some migration or something way back when and Rictus just ceased to exist and it was during a time I was out of Country for several years and UO the last thing on my mind, not that there was a internet connection to be found anywhere within 500 miles of the places I was visiting.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I sometimes wonder what void my original stratics account went to reside in :) Some migration or something way back when and Rictus just ceased to exist and it was during a time I was out of Country for several years and UO the last thing on my mind, not that there was a internet connection to be found anywhere within 500 miles of the places I was visiting.
In about 2008 there was a very large loss of Stratics data which caused many accounts and posts to break (including my original one). They aren't actually "gone" exactly, all that information is still in zip files on the back end of the site the admins have access to, the problem is the data is so corrupted and torn into pieces that everything is mixed together in one huge pile of broken stuff. Things are still found and repaired every so often, it's just a complete shot in the dark trying to find anything in that pile. If you still have all your old information for that account an admin can try seeing what is left of it, some accounts have been recovered that way before. Not everything is possible to salvage though unfortunately.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In about 2008 there was a very large loss of Stratics data which caused many accounts and posts to break (including my original one). They aren't actually "gone" exactly, all that information is still in zip files on the back end of the site the admins have access to, the problem is the data is so corrupted and torn into pieces that everything is mixed together in one huge pile of broken stuff. Things are still found and repaired every so often, it's just a complete shot in the dark trying to find anything in that pile. If you still have all your old information for that account an admin can try seeing what is left of it, some accounts have been recovered that way before. Not everything is possible to salvage though unfortunately.
This goes back before 2008, I made the Tyrath name in 2003 when the Rictus one was gone. Want to say it was changing servers or some a forum upgrade, lol it has been a day or two. Been Tyrath for better than 14 years now, no need to change ;)