• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How many are we?

How many active subs you guesstimate UO has?

• 30k active accounts

Votes: 52 58.4%
  • 60k active accounts

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • 90k active accounts

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • 125k active accounts

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • 250k active accounts

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Over 350k!

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the condescension. :p And you don't "NEED" those numbers to make a general guess. If the poll swings 5% it doesn't really matter. It's not an election. It's a video game. And I agreed with you that 90-100 sample size will have a wide swing range, but it will still be around 85% accuracy.
You can have my condescension anytime when it's clear you don't understand statistics. I already asked and answered this in my other reply, but I'll repeat myself. Your 87 respondents are still statistically meaningless on top of a meaningless question. If you understood statistics, you'd know that the nature of the population is irrelevant. It could be voters, gamers or gardeners: regardless, there are still established ways of gauging accuracy, provided the poll has something meaningful to address, and this poll has neither.

You're guessing there's 85% accuracy, but on what? A little over half who are merely guessing 30K active accounts? There's an unquantifiable number who'd have guessed fewer, because the question was inadequate even in its own meaningless way.

But that poll would be accurate. .000000000001 (hyperbole) of the population plays uo, so 0 with even a .1 swing would be within the range of accuracy.
Actually, it would not be. Don't go for hyperbole. Go for accuracy. This is one of the times when an event is too rare in too large a population, so the typical poll of 1000 doesn't cut it. We know that less than 1% of the U.S. plays UO, so being within ±1% requires polling 9604 people. If you wanted to go ±0.1%, you'd need to poll 957434.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since those lucky dealers seemed to be wandering randomly around,maybe the devs can make a census taker out them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since those lucky dealers seemed to be wandering randomly around,maybe the devs can make a census taker out them

Man, a lot of those personal attendants have been wandering aimlessly since the day they gave us all tokens to "test out". Their owners probably quit long ago though. lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can have my condescension anytime when it's clear you don't understand statistics.
Ah. Generally when I am speaking to someone who I feel doesn't understand what I'm saying, I will make an effort to help them understand, and if that fails, I will simply remove myself from the conversation while trying not to be rude.

As for my lack of understanding of the statistics... I understand them just fine. It's really quite simple to find out exactly how large of a sample you need to achieve an accepted level of accuracy. I also repeatedly agreed that the sample size this poll has is almost certainly too low if you wish to get a result within that accepted level of accuracy.

There seems to be a simple disagreement on whether or not anything can be inferred if you do not reach that acceptable statistical level. To me a matter of do you want a specific representation with the highest level of statistical accuracy possible... or do you just want to make as the poll puts it "a guesstimate".
Would I stake my professional name or my or anyone else's livelihood on a poll with an accuracy level of 85% (or whatever)? Of course not. Would I call 85% (or 80% or 75%...) "good enough" if I were limited to an undersized sample pool in a poll regarding a hobby or a game I played the general outcome of which is unsubstantial to any involved? I would, as I think would most. Thats really all I have been trying to say.

Surely one can question the value of this poll, but personally I think the value is inescapably subjective. While it may mean nothing to you or me, it may mean something to the post creator, or some other person participating. I don't think its simply pointless or not.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enough to keep this thread going and going and going....

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ah. Generally when I am speaking to someone who I feel doesn't understand what I'm saying, I will make an effort to help them understand, and if that fails, I will simply remove myself from the conversation while trying not to be rude.

As for my lack of understanding of the statistics... I understand them just fine. It's really quite simple to find out exactly how large of a sample you need to achieve an accepted level of accuracy. I also repeatedly agreed that the sample size this poll has is almost certainly too low if you wish to get a result within that accepted level of accuracy.
If you really did understand the statistics, you wouldn't have been pulling meaningless numbers before. It wasn't until I introduced you to the concepts like confidence interval and degree of confidence. You may have worked for Gallup, but you didn't understand what was being done afterward.

Generally I'm a nice guy, in and out of game. But I dislike when people don't know what they're talking about -- not the people themselves, but what they're trying to say. I have no compunction to pointing things out as silly, inane, misguided, or plain untruthful.

There seems to be a simple disagreement on whether or not anything can be inferred if you do not reach that acceptable statistical level. To me a matter of do you want a specific representation with the highest level of statistical accuracy possible... or do you just want to make as the poll puts it "a guesstimate".
You're speaking nonsense here. There's no more disagreement here than on whether the sky is blue. This poll is as meaningless as a poll question, "How many foggy days do you think San Francisco will have next month?" None of the poll targets would have the vaguest idea, and those who would know aren't being asked.

Would I stake my professional name or my or anyone else's livelihood on a poll with an accuracy level of 85% (or whatever)? Of course not. Would I call 85% (or 80% or 75%...) "good enough" if I were limited to an undersized sample pool in a poll regarding a hobby or a game I played the general outcome of which is unsubstantial to any involved? I would, as I think would most. Thats really all I have been trying to say.
Don't you want to go by something accurate, or are you content to go by approximate numbers? What if your auto's gas gauge was plus or minus a quarter tank. Good enough? When I did some baking earlier, there was no "good enough" when measuring shortening or sugar, but quite precise measurements. It's actually quite easy to be well within ±1% of a cup.

I wouldn't mind a UO poll with reasonable accuracy, but this poll was silly just from its question. Until we're given numbers that can be believed as realistic, I'm going to call out such things for the absurdities they are.

Surely one can question the value of this poll,
Then why are you defending it at all?

but personally I think the value is inescapably subjective. While it may mean nothing to you or me, it may mean something to the post creator, or some other person participating. I don't think its simply pointless or not.
And you're going in circles again. In one post you've support the poll, in another you've said it can't do what it aims to. Now you're doing it in the same paragraph.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
virtualhabitat, by the end of October 1948, Dewey's true statistical lead was essentially zero. His percentage point lead was only a little above the confidence interval, and Truman had been making gains for a few months that many pollsters missed. Some in fact had ceased polling, relying on a flawed perception of insurmountable support for Dewey.

So the false prediction stemmed from the most basic thing, the polls themselves, just like here.

UODeckard

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
We can try and guess at the player population all we want, and it really won't matter too much if it's 25,000, 40,000, or 50,000.

What really matters is the dev population. According to the last goodbye thread from last month and a few other threads in UHall, we are down to around six team members - an artist, two programmers, a designer, Q&A, plus Mesanna. We also lost our only community manager. I'm not counting GMs/EMs as they are not doing the coding and new artwork.

The number of dev team members is the most important population number, because all it takes is one or two more layoffs, and either the game is in a full maintenance mode and has been placed on some sort of timer, or it's being shut down. It's not idle speculation either - without an artist or designer, no more new content = maintenance. Without one or both programmers = eventual shutdown since bugs and other issues can't be fixed.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they do cut again,they should start at the top

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regarding the population numbers: We'll never know. They could tell us right now and someone will accuse them, vehemently, of lying.

Regarding maintenance mode: I will accept a certain kind of maintenance mode. DAoC's maintenance mode seems kind of fun. They appear to get regular events and new content -- not in the sense of a new system (we have too many systems already) but in the sense of new items to strive for, new creatures to fight, new stories to participate in. (Invasion; World Boss; gypsy caravan; etc.)

Indeed, if that's maintenance mode I'd much prefer it to getting new systems, because we already have a lot of systems.

-Galen's player