• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How many are we?

How many active subs you guesstimate UO has?

• 30k active accounts

Votes: 52 58.4%
  • 60k active accounts

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • 90k active accounts

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • 125k active accounts

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • 250k active accounts

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Over 350k!

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just picking the best bits out mate...and u forgot the 24/7 bit...that all..dont get all sentimental cause the games dying its last breath...hell i will be here too when we have the final party lights out night
I didn't forget it, it wasn't included because that's not what I was saying. I see Winker is right about you.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whatever u say..........

Hey Tanivar was nearly bang on with his earlier post about the different types of players in the total number of players we have left....theres the gold ammasses......theres the rares collectors...theres the quiet crafters and the casual guildy players too.....many many differnt styles....

but the numbers are still dwindling....sad to say it....wish i could wave a magic wand ....

anyways id like to add another group he missed...although hes not happy it seems....

Alas he missed the group of players that play all day and night it seems!!....there on whenever u pop in for a quick 10-15 minute spell.... whatever the time of day....they seem to be still playing....crazy....they play 24/7....

ksara :next:

Last edited:

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the original question asked was about the survivability of UO then the answer is simple. What is the lowest subscription # UO can have and still be profitable at the end of the year for EA's bean-counters to leave it alone. As I recall, someone from EA told me once that when Sim-City on-line had 3,000 players they were in danger of being scratched (although this information was 5+ years ago). So with that being said, I think this game is far from any danger even with a conservative estimate of 8,000 paying accounts.

As for my own thoughts on entertainment vs value this is by far still the best bang-for-the-buck. Let me give you one example: I took the boys to the opening of Iron Man 3 on a typical Saturday night. Tickets plus snacks ran me near $70 bucks and of course dinner afterwards that added another $40-50. This all lasted but 3.5-4 hours. Basically that 110 bucks would pay for my 3 accounts for 3 months. So it's a no brainier for me.

If this game runs into subscription trouble down the road, I'd gladly pay $20 per month for accounts and I am sure many will do so add that to the "UO Protection Plan" lol

Last edited:

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would say, as long as DAOC and Warhammer Online are running, we dont need to fear anything. :D Thought I could imagine, that EA needs to run War for not loosing the license for the Warhammer Universum. (And similar to SW-ToR)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok settle down kiddos.
One tiny thing you all didn't think about..
Its not just our subs they count in the game productivity.. Origin store is also counted in the games over all generating power.
Note to all who think we are under 20k...
I recommend you go count all homes on all shards in Malas, Zento and Termur, those all are on single house accounts. Then go to Tram and every 18 x 18 you see is possibly a single account too... as all grandfathered accounts were made before the plots were open to do.
Yes we owe a lot to the Asian players who have for years paid to play UO and have kept the game flowing. You might say ok that is good but what about the rest of us?
How many of you have cut back on accounts for one reason or another?
How many new accounts have been driven off because of players being mean?
You blame the game, its us kiddos not the game or its graphics.
We are changing as are our priority's in life, we simply don't have the time we had 16 years ago. Or the free cash.
How many of you grew up around UO? Or how many of our kids are now adults... who were at our knees when we played?
All games be it F2P or main stream games like ours and WoW ... all are loosing players... EA, Activision, and a lot of the F2P company's are at a loss of why the numbers are dropping and are cutting to the bone to keep earning up.
It's not lack of the game features.. (come on WoW added 5 lvls reciently with Panda, in under a day there was nearly every skill and lvl made... in a week 25% if not more were lvl 90. the max at the moment.)
To get to the top, players will sit there for hours on end and beat the game.. then get bored saying they have nada to do and walk off... THEY DID IT ALL...
They did it to themselves.. the game didn't force them to sit there and blast through every lvl......
Same with UO kiddos, you try too hard to beat what's not beatable...
Think of it as a life in a game...
That may be why many of you feel as you do.. you let the rush of getting there first take over and have lost the original reason the game attracted you to it...
Back in 97 many got home from work or school did the whole dinner and tv while sitting at the "new" toy.. not every home had one.. but you did and made friends around the world all while sitting at your desk. Roleplaying in game was like college doing D&D with your friends...
I have seen people meet up in game fall in love and marry.. also I have seen the game ruin a marriage with the game life getting too close to the real thing in players minds.
Kids have grown up in game too... many of my little kids who were under this moms wing are now parents of children.
UO is alive and well.... we keep it that way with every purchase at the EA store and by keeping open our accounts...

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Txs for reminding me - its smaller now and should cause no more trouble ;)

On the other hand, does a signature failure or rule realy affect the number of subscriptions or players UO has?
I mean, to speak it out clearly, with no offense, do stratics rules affect your subscriptions you have with UO in any way?
And if so, how comes?

greets
Ron
It does not affect my desire to play UO in any way. I have used a siggy that was large like yours. I was unable to keep mine up long at all. I was told the reason I could not keep mine as it was because that it could possibly slow down download speeds of the threads people that were reading the forum. Seems to me that mods get a pass on this? Because you have a m shield,your siggy wont slow anyone's download speed?

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Well, we "shielded users" do have other possibilities and powers, to be honest, i didnt check the exact size my banner in my signature is restricted to, so i changed it - its no biggy for me and not realy one of my important things to think off - but yes, we are mods (and i am also stratics pro btw - so i found the page i am working for..say i pay for working for this page hehe) and we do have some things others dont have...a normal thingy if you ask me.. ;)

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok settle down kiddos.
Its not just our subs they count in the game productivity.. Origin store is also counted in the games over all generating power.
Note to all who think we are under 20k...
I recommend you go count all homes on all shards in Malas, Zento and Termur, those all are on single house accounts. Then go to Tram and every 18 x 18 you see is possibly a single account too... as all grandfathered accounts were made before the plots were open to do.
Yes we owe a lot to the Asian players who have for years paid to play UO and have kept the game flowing. You might say ok that is good but what about the rest of us?
How many of you have cut back on accounts for one reason or another?
How many new accounts have been driven off because of players being mean?
You blame the game, its us kiddos not the game or its graphics.
We are changing as are our priority's in life, we simply don't have the time we had 16 years ago. Or the free cash.
How many of you grew up around UO? Or how many of our kids are now adults... who were at our knees when we played?
All games be it F2P or main stream games like ours and WoW ... all are loosing players... EA, Activision, and a lot of the F2P company's are at a loss of why the numbers are dropping and are cutting to the bone to keep earning up.
It's not lack of the game features.. (come on WoW added 5 lvls reciently with Panda, in under a day there was nearly every skill and lvl made... in a week 25% if not more were lvl 90. the max at the moment.)
To get to the top, players will sit there for hours on end and beat the game.. then get bored saying they have nada to do and walk off... THEY DID IT ALL...
They did it to themselves.. the game didn't force them to sit there and blast through every lvl......
Same with UO kiddos, you try too hard to beat what's not beatable...
Think of it as a life in a game...
That may be why many of you feel as you do.. you let the rush of getting there first take over and have lost the original reason the game attracted you to it...
Back in 97 many got home from work or school did the whole dinner and tv while sitting at the "new" toy.. not every home had one.. but you did and made friends around the world all while sitting at your desk. Roleplaying in game was like college doing D&D with your friends...
I have seen people meet up in game fall in love and marry.. also I have seen the game ruin a marriage with the game life getting too close to the real thing in players minds.
Kids have grown up in game too... many of my little kids who were under this moms wing are now parents of children.
UO is alive and well.... we keep it that way with every purchase at the EA store and by keeping open our accounts...
That is a very good point actually. I'm sure cash shop generates pretty good, steady income with ridiculous profit marigin. It is just as ridiculous how UO's shop kinda got swallowed by Origin.:( It speaks volumes on Mythic and EA's view of UO. Imagine how much more the shop would make if it were independent and properly visible. UO client should have a nice, neat,tastefully placed in-game link leading to it. On top of that, imagine in-game promotions, discounts, bit more new items bit more frequently. Tons of easy money requiring reasonably manageable amount of Devving. Instead of having anything like that, everything UO related is just buried in debths of Origin. It is like EA doesn't care wether UO makes 2 or 4 mils.

For comparsion's sake, SW:TOR has 500k paying subscribers. It also has Free2Play side and a cash shop. According to EA, majority of income game makes comes from cash shop, not from subs.

Last edited:

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You still can't simply count houses and get an accurate number. While they DID finally fix the Return to Brit housing bug there are still other houses that are bugged and won't decay. Houses placed with old trial accounts that were never paid for seem to have fallen through the cracks.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ It goes both ways. I'm sure there are loads of accounts that don't have a house on them at all for whatver reason. Surely this at the very least balances the scales.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ It goes both ways. I'm sure there are loads of accounts that don't have a house on them at all for whatver reason. Surely this at the very least balances the scales.
Considering players often have multiple accounts solely for extra housing and the very nature of the game I imagine the number of people with 0 houses to be extremely small compared to the sheer amount of housing still bugged it's not balanced at all.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure, I bet number of accounts w/o house is relatively small, all things considered. Just like amount of bugged houses is small when compared to those that are not bugged. I'm sure even this thread has pile of ppl reading it who very recently/currently have held an acc without a house for whatever reason.

Last edited:

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many people here on stratics also argued the number of Return to Brit houses was small when several of we long time idocers stated otherwise. They were proven wrong with the weeks of houses falling around the clock...

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
There...is...no..way....there are 85-100k active accounts. If there were we'd have more than 5 people maintaining the game. Have you even logged in recently?
Don't they have their own dev team in Japan?

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok settle down kiddos.
Note to all who think we are under 20k.....
In the F2P thread in the spiels and rant section, you stated that the money from the Origin Store for UO goes into other products of EA and not UO. How does this truly factor in the games over all generating power IF the money is invested into other EA products as you stated?

Housing could not give an accurate count of players no matter the circumstances.

It's not lack of the game features.. (come on WoW added 5 lvls reciently with Panda, in under a day there was nearly every skill and lvl made... in a week 25% if not more were lvl 90. the max at the moment.).
Partially true but also partially false. There is a difference in harcore players and casual gamers. F2P gaming populations still shadow UO population no matter how you try to sweeten it. Players move onto other games and there is plenty to choose from so no game is safe in losing players and lowering population.

EA is making money of their F2P models. Read below.

EA 'pleased' with SWTOR F2P so far

by Justin Olivetti on Jan 31st 2013 3:00PM
Sci-Fi, Business Models, MMO Industry, Free-to-Play, Star Wars: The Old Republic
In EA's third quarter earnings call, the company mentioned SWTOR and expressed cautious optimism toward the changes that free-to-play brought to the game.

"As a reminder," CFO Blake Jorgensen reported, "on November 15th we launched our free-to-play option for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Very early indications have been positive and we are pleased with the initial results, but it is too early to know how successful this will be in the long term."

Jorgensen said that SWTOR, among other titles, helped to contribute a tidy sum to the company: "Extra content and free-to-play contributed $185 million, up 50% led by FIFA and Madden Ultimate Team and Star Wars: The Old Republic."

[Thanks to John for the tip!]

EA just signed a deal with Disney on other Star Wars games. They must be making tons of money or both wouldn't of signed the deal.

True but if you don't reinvest and keep reinvesting in a successful product it gets old and stale and somebody else comes along and builds something better. People run for the next and newest thing. UO is not the wheel and you can't really improve much more on the wheel. You stated again about EA store and purchasing. Like I said earlier, if the money does not go back into UO as you stated in another thread then how does it benefit UO?

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well not all MMOs are losing players, EVE is still gaining players every day, despite being 10 years old now. I think players just want different games and 'on-rails' games like WoW and Everquest type grindgames simply lost their appeal. I think many players have matured and are looking for a better game now, which gives them more freedom. I think people really want to make a difference in the world. They might actually want an UO style sandbox game, but with an intuitive interface. There's a reason why Minecraft was so popular, it fit right into a niche of stuff that people wanted but couldn't have before.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like I said earlier, if the money does not go back into UO as you stated in another thread then how does it benefit UO?
Maybe EA keeps UO going because it produces enough extra money to support other games that are proving to be not doing so well. We could just be simply a decently reliable cash source.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe EA keeps UO going because it produces enough extra money to support other games that are proving to be not doing so well. We could just be simply a decently reliable cash source.
Really? HA HA! So they would rather support other games they have that are supposedly doing poorly while they make the UO dev team smaller. If that was the case then, I would be very upset as a customer knowing I am getting little or no support for a game I am paying for each month and it goes into other projects and not the game I am paying for. Maybe they should just make UO go on hamster mode and fire the devs so these other games can rake in even more cash. Wonders who is next UO dev on the chopping block when UO makes so much cash to support other games :)

There is a reason why MYUO has never been put back up and it' the same reason why DaoC lost it's feature of what was going on in the world and you could see the servers activity on the herald. To hide their numbers.

Look we all can guess and say this and that. I will stay with 17k number.

I would like the to have the contact of the EA insider that some of you have in this topic that loves to give out information. Especially when their other games that went F2P are raking in cash and making deals with other companies but these games are doing so poorly. Even though the media say's other wise and the EA press releases argue that statement. This EA insider must know something that EA and their investors don't.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
$10-15 a month for a 16 year old MMORPG with out-dated graphics is just ridiculous.. I agree, 30k TOPS and that is just active accounts, not active players.. I'd guess more like 10-15k active accounts with about 2k active players.. Our peak was 250k in 2003? UO was $10 a month, means they were making 2.5 million a month off subs!​
If there is really 30k accounts then they are only making $300,000 a month, but if that WAS THE CASE, I think even that would more than cover UO's budget, the new cloud servers are DIRT CHEAP! and it is amazing that you can run a game on them and considering we only have like 4 devs left.. I would say UO is only raking in like 100-150k a month which would mean there is only 10k-15k active accounts. Because 300k a month, we would have a much larger team than a 4 person dev team and we would still be on physical servers!​
Really, they should just make the sub cost of UO $1 a month.. I am pretty sure you can get 2.5 million people to play UO for $1 a month, hell you can even get your player base back and 250k a month would more than cover UO's budget and plus we'd have a little more to save up for the item shop.. But hey, its EA!! bunch of morons.. All they care about is milking out every last penny!​

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You still can't simply count houses and get an accurate number. While they DID finally fix the Return to Brit housing bug there are still other houses that are bugged and won't decay. Houses placed with old trial accounts that were never paid for seem to have fallen through the cracks.
Bang on again...........

Yah the devs started dropping the RTB houses....as people requested...then people started to panic and ask why so many were falling....6-12 a night for 3 weeks or so....so it seems the devs stopped dropping them so quick....to stop the peoples disillusion....So YES theres still quite a few RTBs standing...theres loads of un-named/ no owner classics standing and theres quite a few trial account houses standing too [not RTB]........

SO PLZ PLZ PLZ DONT COUNT HOUSES...

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really? HA HA! So they would rather support other games they have that are supposedly doing poorly while they make the UO dev team smaller. If that was the case then, I would be very upset as a customer knowing I am getting little or no support for a game I am paying for each month and it goes into other projects and not the game I am paying for. Maybe they should just make UO go on hamster mode and fire the devs so these other games can rake in even more cash. Wonders who is next UO dev on the chopping block when UO makes so much cash to support other games :)
Well but this is the thing that all game companies do. They make money in one title, and spend it on developing another title, which they hope makes them more money. And of course they need money to pay to the shareholders, money to fund new acquisitions, money to expand the teams and get new teams onboard (when the company is healthy that is). That money has to come from somewhere; it comes from all previously released games. Just like not all of the money that Guild Wars raked in was spent on Guild Wars 1. A lot went to NC Soft, and a lot went to develop Guild Wars 2. If a company spends 20% of the revenue from an MMO on actually making content for the existing game, it's really a lot! From what I've seen, it's usually somewhere between 5 and 10% (for social games even less than 0.5%), but that's quite normal. Especially for new titles, which have had HUGE investments put in them to develop them in the first place that have to be earned back first. For UO I think operational costs are more than 10%, maybe even more than 25% due to our low subscription total. But to think that the lion's share of an MMO's revenue flows back into producing content for those games is simply not the reality, it never has been.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bang on again...........

Yah the devs started dropping the RTB houses....as people requested...then people started to panic and ask why so many were falling....6-12 a night for 3 weeks or so....so it seems the devs stopped dropping them so quick....to stop the peoples disillusion....So YES theres still quite a few RTBs standing...theres loads of un-named/ no owner classics standing and theres quite a few trial account houses standing too [not RTB]........

SO PLZ PLZ PLZ DONT COUNT HOUSES...
Maybe, but we could count houses to determine an upper figure.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there is really 30k accounts then they are only making $300,000 a month, but if that WAS THE CASE, I think even that would more than cover UO's budget, the new cloud servers are DIRT CHEAP! and it is amazing that you can run a game on them and considering we only have like 4 devs left.. I would say UO is only raking in like 100-150k a month which would mean there is only 10k-15k active accounts. Because 300k a month, we would have a much larger team than a 4 person dev team and we would still be on physical servers!

60k accounts = 60,000 x 12 months x $13 = $9.36 million/year + online store sales
30k accounts = $4.68 million/year + online store sales
10k accounts = $1.56 million/year + online store sales
If there were 30k accounts, they would be raking in $6 million per year, and you would bet that EA would have more than 4 developers to ensure that they keep getting $6 million/year.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kinda funny that when you start a CC thread it gets shot down in hours because you are supposedly beating a dead horse but this doom and gloom numbers guessing can hang around forever.

It doesnt take a psychiatrist to understand what kinda news most peeps living on this board want to hear lol.

T

Tazar

60k accounts = 60,000 x 12 months x $13 = $9.36 million/year + online store sales
30k accounts = $4.68 million/year + online store sales
10k accounts = $1.56 million/year + online store sales
If there were 30k accounts, they would be raking in $6 million per year, and you would bet that EA would have more than 4 developers to ensure that they keep getting $6 million/year.
And we have more than 4. I believe that 13 were listed on the last holiday gift name system after subtracting EM/GM names. Two have since been laid off leaving 11 or so. Just cause they are working instead of posting on the forums does not mean they aren't there.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And we have more than 4. I believe that 13 were listed on the last holiday gift name system after subtracting EM/GM names. Two have since been laid off leaving 11 or so. Just cause they are working instead of posting on the forums does not mean they aren't there.
The real problem is that not a single person know's who actually works on this game save for 2 or 3 people. We all hope and guess that there are 10 more but who knows....

T

Tazar

The real problem is that not a single person know's who actually works on this game save for 2 or 3 people. We all hope and guess that there are 10 more but who knows....
It is really hard to get an exact count in most any game company. How many work directly and solely for UO? How many are partly UO and partly other titles but are pulled in as needed? How many interns are there that come and go - but do contribute? How much is outsourced to 3rd party contractors (Art, etc?). It's almost like asking a forum to define a classic shard - everyone has a different opinion on what to include.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://stratics.com/community/threads/uo-develoment-team.297852/#post-2262064

Went through them before, 4 actual content producers seems to be quite right - Bleak, Kyronix, MrsTroubleMaker (programmers) and Onifrk (artist). There are more devs but they don't actually build content, they're management or customer support etc.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally - I hate these 'doom and gloom' threads.
I don't need to know how many are playing.
I don't actually need to know how many are working on the game
I just need to know that I can log in and play.
I can do 'my bit' to support the game and its players through these boards, writing guides, answering questions etc to the best of my ability. In that way I hope to contribute to its 'playability'.
Positive influences encourage new and returning players
Negative ones discourage them.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally - I hate these 'doom and gloom' threads.
I don't need to know how many are playing.
I don't actually need to know how many are working on the game
I just need to know that I can log in and play.
I can do 'my bit' to support the game and its players through these boards, writing guides, answering questions etc to the best of my ability. In that way I hope to contribute to its 'playability'.
Very well spoken.

As long as you are still playing and having fun do you really care who is punching what time clock where?

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ Sure. I have a feeling most here agree that UO(well, MMOs as a whole) is bit more of a hobby rather than a video game among others. It is very human to be curious over overall condition of your hobby? Dooming and Glooming prolly spend it's 10th anniversary together with Everquest; it has gotten very old and stale thing to do;p Don't most here have " it is what it is" type of an approach anyway?

I have a feeling some Idoc hunter or another has actually counted number of vacant plots, number of available plots on few shards. If that's the case itd be neat to see those numbers:)

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well ive made a simple post about shard vendor activity.......sceintific data.......kinda shadows the population i think.......definate when you like it to housing available or not avaialble being the case if the shard is full or empty....worth a look at the table....kinda shows the fullest shard is 90x more active than the bottom one...''in vendor activity''...so if u shadow it for populos and say the bottom shard as 50 active players then the top would have 4500...u kinda get the idea...

YOU guys/gals can either take it on board or totally dismiss it....iam not fussed...its pure hard data taken and printed

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well ive made a simple post about shard vendor activity.......sceintific data.......kinda shadows the population i think.......definate when you like it to housing available or not avaialble being the case if the shard is full or empty....worth a look at the table....kinda shows the fullest shard is 90x more active than the bottom one...''in vendor activity''...so if u shadow it for populos and say the bottom shard as 50 active players then the top would have 4500...u kinda get the idea...

YOU guys/gals can either take it on board or totally dismiss it....iam not fussed...its pure hard data taken and printed
Scientific data? Vendor activity is by no means even close to being a true barometer of shard activity/population.

Ever since shard xfer became available the whole vendor dynamic changed.

75% of the towns in my state (NJ) do not have many retail businesses at all due to the fact that there are large, highway shopping malls nearby. Does that mean that the towns in the most densely populated state in the country are empty? Dont think so.

The few shards that do have large vendor activity are merely the shopping malls of UO

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Picking up figures from an illicit site that only covers vendors in certain key locations is not 'scientific data' by any stretch of the imagination.

The only people in possession of accurate figures are Mythic, and they're not telling. All else is just pure speculation with a very negative bias.

I keep having horrible visions of the 'self fullfilling prophecy' and hoping the constant foretelling of doom will please, please stop.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ever wonder why they don't speak on it?

Raw numbers hurt, it would be discouraging even more for people looking at the game that are interested to play..so leave it to speculation. It's much more fun to guess then to know

The doom and gloom would ten have a reference number rather ten speculation.

It'll say no wonder the game has "X amount" of subscriptions it's based on "this reason" here I cited "this site"

..etc etc

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scientific data? Vendor activity is by no means even close to being a true barometer of shard activity/population.

Ever since shard xfer became available the whole vendor dynamic changed.

75% of the towns in my state (NJ) do not have many retail businesses at all due to the fact that there are large, highway shopping malls nearby. Does that mean that the towns in the most densely populated state in the country are empty? Dont think so.

The few shards that do have large vendor activity are merely the shopping malls of UO
* like i said...i knew it would happen*.......
either take it on board or flat point dismiss it....your guys/gals choice...the data makes interesting reading to me....

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Picking up figures from an illicit site that only covers vendors in certain key locations is not 'scientific data' by any stretch of the imagination.

The only people in possession of accurate figures are Mythic, and they're not telling. All else is just pure speculation with a very negative bias.

I keep having horrible visions of the 'self fullfilling prophecy' and hoping the constant foretelling of doom will please, please stop.
* like i said...i knew it would happen*.......
either take it on board or flat point dismiss it....your guys/gals choice...the data is solid and is the same sample over all the shards hence a definate and direct reflection of vendor activity per shard .....it makes interesting reading to me....

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its please refrain from ..........'' stop the doom posts'' ....they are anything but............we can be very happy if we have 30-40k players....very happy indeed..im just telling you were they are playing shard for shard with a SIMPLE ...YES VERY SIMPLE comparrison of vendor and housing availabilty....its does not take a genius to grasp the fact if u can place a castle on a shard on land thats been empty sometime...not at a faller ...then its not very full.....jesus !!! gimme a bloody break.......

either take it on board or flat point dismiss it....your guys/gals choice...

Last edited:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a huge difference between real activity and buying/selling items. With that in mind, EM events, player events, spawns, etc are a much better measure of action. An illicit site showing items on certain vendors is at best a partial measurement of activity. Just because people sell items (even if the site is accurate) that doesn't mean they are participating in actual shard activity.

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a huge difference between real action and buying/selling items. With that in mind, EM events, player events, spawns, etc are a much better measure of action. An illicit site showing items on certain vendors is at best a partial measurement of activity.
free data on a site we shall not speak of that is well well used for ''searching for items for sale '' by a lot of players indeed.......infact if u ask for a price check via chat someone tells u in minutes that are such and such on such shard is xx gold .....so ill offer the same etc etc etc...dont give me '''illicit crap ''' as if uve never ever been on it to search....or im calling ********..

good honest data .....take it or leave it [end of]....

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
naw... we are done here. I do not trust this data or the site.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, I don't care what our user numbers are. Only that there is a plan to improve on those figures. I mean we know the community is shrinking, but rather than dwell on the shrinking let's encourage EA to do their job and reverse that trend. A marketing plan to expand the community and bring in new players. [I know, marketing and UO... stop laughing at the back!] But having seen some of the promotion that Ultima Forever has gotten, I want to see their oldest of the 3 franchise games given at least a bit of that marketing effort. Because the 2 babies wouldn't have been brought online had it not been for the longevity of UO. Seems a shame that over the years our dev teams have done their thing with such minimal marketing.

Wenchy

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not sure what the plan is to increase p(l)ayers, other than the EM program or whatever.

A previous poster posted 17,000 guided characters, and that was about 2-3 years ago when myUO was still working. Now how many guided characters does an average person have per account? A couple. So 17,000/x is estimate.

Another upper bound estimate would be to count houses. Yes there are some houses that shouldnt be there.

Anyway, whatever they are doing, it isnt working. That is why UO really needs a new plan like F2P. Surely it is at the point where there has to be a new gameplan to increase p(l)ayers.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't believe that F2P is the answer. Not sure what is. The EM program has a lot of promise but do to limits on what they can do and the fact that most people have now been driven off by the greedy SoBs who are rude and vulgar it has lost a lot of draw and luster. Now only the truly devoted and the greedy ones hoping for a rare drop attend.

At this point unless EA puts a lot of development into updating graphics and such I don't think there is much hope for a major comeback. Maybe at the 20 year mark "IF" EA actually did some marketing and really put something fun into game we might see a comeback... but I don't think it'd last. I'm thinking if they want to keep interest and keep the player base we have currently we need some stuff to do .... a story arc that involves some sort of invasion or something to keep people focused and occupied.

Like I said I'd like to see rotating arcs. The return of the Vanguard, ToT, Ophids on Territhans.... etc.... bring back some of the items we liked..... put those crystals in the Illshen dungeons..... let us gather them there are redo that arc this halloween or something..... everyone enjoyed that... If they could bring back some good events and rotate them around so they don't get stale.... put them on for a couple months turn it off a month or two then turn on something else for a couple months it'd give us something to look forward to and would keep things "fresh" just add new drops every so often to spice it up some.... rotate in some new dye colors but for gods sakes give more than a few charges on them that one charge crap was more maddening than anything.... or at least allow them to be combined into 50 or 100 charge bottles.

If they DEV's would understand that STACKING, and Combining are IMPORTANT.... and it's something we WANT/NEED and makes players happy. We might be more pleased. Little things like that make folk happy. Fixing bugs, adding things to do...

Shouldn't be real hard to turn on and off some of the events... and it would go a long way toward keeping folk busy. The EM events are nice but only if you can be there for them... It rather sucks for those who can't attend and it really stinks if that's all that's happening.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree Petra..
Doom and Gloom is not what we want and well for the rest of you who want to speculate on numbers can do it on your own time...
Can you not just except that the game is running and we can play.
One day UO will close BUT not today....
Mod put this one to rest..... We need a happy place......

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does it really matter how many people are playing? Shouldn't the question be "Am I happy playing and paying for Ultima Online?" If you are both happy playing and paying, good for you. I for one dont care how many people play. I am able to accomplish everything I need/want to do on my own. I dont need 50k people getting in my way/spawn stealing/greifing me the whole time. I remember back in 2003 when we were at the height of our game, and SO many people complained that everything was overcrowded and they even added shards....Now, its the opposite and people are complaining.

Like I said, shouldnt the question be "Am I happy playing and paying for Ultima Online?"

/thread.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see you point of view. But really what is the point of being "positive" and getting 20 new and returning players a month, when the attrition rate is higher than that. When you are losing devs, it means the current strategy is not working, and you need to do something else. If UO goes F2P, I can guarantee that UO will get many many times more than 20 new and returning players a month. There is a window where something like F2P or endless RTB trial (no housing) is an option. Wait too long and it is no longer viable.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does it really matter how many people are playing? Shouldn't the question be "Am I happy playing and paying for Ultima Online?" If you are both happy playing and paying, good for you. I for one dont care how many people play. I am able to accomplish everything I need/want to do on my own. I dont need 50k people getting in my way/spawn stealing/greifing me the whole time. I remember back in 2003 when we were at the height of our game, and SO many people complained that everything was overcrowded and they even added shards....Now, its the opposite and people are complaining.

Like I said, shouldnt the question be "Am I happy playing and paying for Ultima Online?"

/thread.
It's exactly that last line of your post,I've invested alot of time and money,What's the future of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The game shouldn't go F2P but the sub prices and the prices on the UO store needs to go waaaaay down! At least the subs do, do they honestly believe very many people are going to walk into a 16 year old, out-dated game that's on a CLOUD SERVER? It needs to come down to like $2-3 a month and get its player base back slowly that way, especially in today's world economy, its hard for me to run 3 accounts as it is.. And I have been close to cancelling one of them, very, very close..