• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hand-in reward feedback thread

I

imported_trammelite

when the turn-in of event-items was announced, i felt a little fear that i might not be able to compete in-game in future, because i did not participate in any of these uber-mob-challenge "events": not the ophidians, not the blackrocks, not magincia and not moonglow.

now i feel a big relief.

seriously, i really feel for all the poor people who have sacrificed a lot of time, insurance and their (char's-)life over and over again in these events. if there was at least one useful item to justify the expression "reward" ....

W

Winder UO

I read through most of this thread and i can honestly say that I am disgusted with most people who posted in here.

Honestly, you people have been whining for turn ins for a long, long time. When the devs do implement these turn in's, all they see is the whining and pancakes from you guys on here. Some of you mentioned there will be another turn in later, maybe they saved up the good stuff for later? Maybe they even considered that some items are creating an imbalance, which in turn would have to be looked at, and you would pancake even more about that.

I can understand why theres so few devs left on this team when they read the posts of all you ungrateful ****s. These items are completely fine. They pose no threat to the balancing issues in game, they are easily available, hence not so powerful. But they still are a gift to us for turning in junk that would otherwise just take up storage.

All this shows is the mentality of todays UO player. You always crave more stuff, preferably powerful stuff that would make you invincible in an allready piss easy game.

The whiners in this thread disgust me.

G

While I agree with the majority of you spiel I have to pick out this particular piece:

<blockquote><hr>

I've read every post in this thread and can't quite grasp how so many can't see why UO is struggling - why people are all of a sudden being able to place castles and keeps (completely unheard of, once upon a time). This event should clearly define the reason.

So many have posted wanting more "uberness" in the items - 2% poison on boots isn't enough, give us "Vine sandals." The Armor is a waste, GM armor has better stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say you read every post and yet you quote that people wanted "uberness". I read those same posts and have yet to find these claims. Nearly everyone that has stated the rewards were crap has follow those statements up by saying they don't think they should be too powerful. In fact, many of them mark their words carefully just becasuse there are soo many people out there that don't need powerful items to play UO and can look down upon those who want to find the "next best piece" or pixel crack. While there may have been someone to claim they wanted the vine cord sandals it was said in jest. I have seen post after post asking for 1-2 pts in each resist and not 4. Still a powerful thing but , again, not asking for what you claim they are.

This reward list is a precurser to some "epic event". That event is not going to be on time and if the rewards are any indication then we are in for some big disappointment. Like other have said the devs have dug their own grave on this issue. They have built up expectations and hopes and they have failed to deliver on their own hype.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do the items have to have decent buffs on them at all? Even some unique deco would be nice. There's only one relevant deco item as a reward item as it stands... The rest is clothing that'll get hidden underneath a robe (which seems to be standard issue equipment).

I

imported_Skrag

A pox on you people who hate good items. They should have at least given us SOMETHING better than random ettin loot in terms of mods.

I

IPlayUOTOOMuCH

Deco stuff would have been the way to go on this one.

They (devs) have so many exisiting items in the game they could use.

There are tapestries and mounted heads that are in npcs shops or houses that players cant get.

Those would be nice. Mounted ophidian head anyone?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Nocturne Earings Every Alchemist in game is applauding this one - *shakes head* - Why in the world would you give out any item that hurts a crafter - potentially two considering comments are allready being made regarding the uselessness of nightsight as a mod on armor now(blessing them would only add insult to injury). But the bigger issue - this reward decreased choices (from 6 to 5) for an entire player race - elves, who have absolutely no use for the item. That was just wrong!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lack of imagination? They don't care? The earrings should be craftable or drops. Of course, the majority of the Heritage Token items should have been craftable and growable. But, it doesn't matter to them that they ignore those to groups. Especially gardeners.

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

"I tried looking, and there's nothing anywhere that says(from the devs) that the turn in items would be"

The previous rewards for the earlier events in this same story arc are what led players to believe the rewards would be on the same level. To give out Valorite hammers and Orny's in one event, then turning around and offering a shirt that says "I went to Moonglow and all I got was this lousy shirt" is a let down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is that some of the turn in items can be strongly argued to be better than any of the rewards. When you have a system where the currency (turn ins) are not as good what the currency is spent on (turn in rewards) then there is a HUGE problem.

I don't perfer to spend $1 on 75 cents and I am rather sure that most people feel the same way.

J

jelake

<blockquote><hr>

when the turn-in of event-items was announced, i felt a little fear that i might not be able to compete in-game in future, because i did not participate in any of these uber-mob-challenge "events": not the ophidians, not the blackrocks, not magincia and not moonglow.

now i feel a big relief.

seriously, i really feel for all the poor people who have sacrificed a lot of time, insurance and their (char's-)life over and over again in these events. if there was at least one useful item to justify the expression "reward" ....

[/ QUOTE ]

I farmed a ton of gold, didn't die too many times, and got a load of cloaks that will probably be made much more useful in the future. Where's the downside to this? If I wasn't taking part in the event, I would be doing something else in game like crafting or skill training anyway. It's all good.

I

imported_Wraith One

To be honest, I believe the items were not given much thought. This is what I would call a cut and paste kind of job. The items aren't really all that bad, they just don't hold up to the current items that you trade in for them. I honestly would of thought they would of given us something that depletes itself overtime. Why give us rewards that will just collect dust as the items we gathered did? I would of gone for new kinds of dyes eg "Pet Dyes" something along the lines of ToT. I'm sure you all noticed those dyes are just going up in value as people use them up. they don't currently spawn anymore, which makes them a treasure worth having. However, I am fine with anything they give us as it gives me a chance to really free up some storage.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I would of gone for new kinds of dyes eg "Pet Dyes"

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so glad you do not make the decisions over at Live then.

G

What I think is that even a fairly active player like myself will get maybe 1 item from this.

Seriously I kept around 100 of each item to sell down the road. Now I would have to turn in pretty much everything I have in hopes of getting maybe one pair of boots with 2% poison on them.

That pisses me off because I hear people say oh I have 1000 of this and another 500 of that and like 900 of something else...

I spent my hours collecting and saving what i could only to get the shaft from EA once more.

2 years with no expansion and this is what they call new content?

I am doing everything in my power not to go off on one of the longest and most extreme rants in the history of the game right now.

All the while I am watching my friend that lives next to me play wow every night and I am starting to think maybe I should have left with all the others. That says a lot considering I have been a wow hater since day 1.

G

I like the earrings, especially since there are diff colors to choose from.

J

Jerry Seinfeld

<blockquote><hr>

"I tried looking, and there's nothing anywhere that says(from the devs) that the turn in items would be"

The previous rewards for the earlier events in this same story arc are what led players to believe the rewards would be on the same level. To give out Valorite hammers and Orny's in one event, then turning around and offering a shirt that says "I went to Moonglow and all I got was this lousy shirt" is a let down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I don't think I want to part with the more unique and insightful items to trade down (obviously it seems like this is 'Destroy the Rares of Britannia', why else trade in stuff we can't exactly get anymore to get stuff two steps and a leap down from it? -unless, of course, there is some hidden agenda down the road to praise or empower people who give away all their Staves of Pyros and the like for ...shirts...boots??) no offense Devs, but after this many years, I call it how I see it, deal with it.

I like the events, but I do not like this item-fest that is destroying our game and the attitudes it fosters both here and in-game.

I'd like a compensation set of val hammers for not being able to play during that time-limited event. Seriously. My smith is upset at EA, he's trying since BOD's came out to get one of those stinking hammers, and they give them out when he can't answer the call?

Ornys, too, huh? I missed that little detail.

Relatively lame, that they couldn't at least bring enough candy to share for the entire class. I feel like I just got to the house and found pizza boxes but opened them to find nothing but crumbs remaining.

More importantly, what can they give us for free that they aren't trying to sell us now (Green soulstones, Shroud of Shadows, ect)? Not necessarily the best business decision to give what you sell away for free unless it's limited-use or you expect a large volume purchase.

Of course, Val hammers and Ornys were acceptable to give away because EA didn't sell those, it was players who traded them, who cares if the economy gets annihilated even further, right?

If this is meant to be like the old Clean-Up system, have these rewards be for turning in gold, everyday things (junk), ect.... the way it was a long time ago, even our junk got us nice things if we brought enough of it.

Use the harder to get items for sets of trade-ins, for example, like a 'Bard Box' with hand-held instruments, a set for Treasure Hunters, Fishermen, Chefs, ect, or something exponentially cooler.

If you're going to honor UO, honor all playstyles equally. I'm sick of having to kill crap followed by killing exponentially more difficult crap (and you can stack this ad infinitum) to get any benefit out of playing. 'Kill Everything' should not be the only ultimate forced playstyle choice.

You'll have to excuse me if I'm raging due to the blatant exclusion of so many character types, skills, and flat out good players at this point (though I may speak and refer somewhat to the items, this is more a general sense of apathy and disregard for a lot of people, characters, and unique playstyles that flat out died because the game was forced into a linear direction that spawned thousands of clones of the same templates repeatedly), so I'm going to wrap this up before I make anyone too angry.

That's all the imput I'm giving on these items. Since 98, I've kept my mouth pretty much shut when it comes to feedback, so there it is.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Relatively lame, that they couldn't at least bring enough candy to share for the entire class. I feel like I just got to the house and found pizza boxes but opened them to find nothing but crumbs remaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

What really sucks is when the people who ate the pizza are against you getting some.

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
demon blood from Magincia invasion ?

.....will get into the list for next turn-in. Draconi posted that in another thread.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

<blockquote><hr>

the items are severely WEAK. i was expecting ToT quality items....

guess not

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. and here i was dissapointed in missing the 1st day. this beats that.

G

Devs.

You owe us a HELL of a lot more for our ophidian stuff than this pittance. For damn well over a year we were promised something would be done with these items, and what do we get for our patience?

Items availabe just weeks ago net more reward points than chests full of ophidian artifacts.

I mean seriously. ONE lousy piece of Maginica rubble net than 50 ophidian rations and several orders/journals???

My response: GO [[[Diplomatic Edit: *Bless*]]]] YOURSELF

G

glorypaxson

I just wanted to add a few comments:

1. People saying the events sucked are little off imo.
Magencia was well thought out and the rush for Rubble was awesome. It kept us all busy for quite awhile. Not to mention...you are all talking about reward for your risk?
If you went after rubble...you made millions selling it...dont lie.
I know I did the event off and on....and did it on other shards too. I made well over 400 mil on this event and it allowed me to buy my Stone Keep I have desired for a long time. It didnt take "too much" insurance or time either.

Seriously, some of you guys complain too much.

Next:

2. We havent even seen the result of the threads and cloaks yet...the items that were actually "harder" to get.
Throw on top of that: Dark Wisps drop 1500 gold per and needed 3 spells to drop.
You I made about 20k every 7-10 minutes doing the event.
The bank was a 10 second run from the Wisps too.

3. The boots are not over-powered...but they still give mods on a slot that doesnt give mods (Other then VCS)

The Earrings are a nice touch...Obviously, it will be lame seeing every human with a pair....just like most people where the Transparent Heart Earring right now.
Dont forget these arent blessed...so thats more gold into the insurance sink...and more gold per a kill in PvP....

4. The mouse looks dumb...but its still another statue for all you collectors..

5. To me, the only 2 real gripes is the RBG Sashes...as that completely deflates the value of the old ones.

The armor obviouly sucks....I will still get it because I like displaying all the armor sets...from white daemon bone to the Assassin Set/Hunters..etc...
I agree they should add a mod or two.
My idea for a suit like this...would be to make it leather instead...and make it so with the complete suit...you get a +20 bonus to a skill...and allow us to choose the skill....this would help crafters out immensly....who have been in need of something to increase their skill....

6. I also agree that Ophidian and Rat items should be worth more then the Demon Scythes....

7. Seriously, these items arent the worst in the world.
1 or 2 tweaks and they have a perfect turn-in.

J

Jerry Seinfeld

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What really sucks is when the people who ate the pizza are against you getting some.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this feeling I'll be eating my words if Draconi makes this turn-in a long-time and ongoing thing....

But that would actually make me very happy. I'd rather save one of each of these turn-ins for my lockdowns and just trade off the rest for the other stuff.

B

bearsfan

<blockquote><hr>

If you went after rubble...you made millions selling it...dont lie.
I know I did the event off and on....and did it on other shards too. I made well over 400 mil on this event and it allowed me to buy my Stone Keep I have desired for a long time. It didnt take "too much" insurance or time either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap...and I felt like I was doing good with my 3 million in the bank (spread out between 3 players). Sorta seems like the casual player is left out in the cold. I guess I can't blame people for selling things for whatever they can get it for...but hopefully someone is feeling awfully shameful that they created an event where merely picking up lots of rubble pieces could get someone who happened to be playing at the right time 400 million.

<blockquote><hr>

Next:

The Earrings are a nice touch...Obviously, it will be lame seeing every human with a pair....just like most people where the Transparent Heart Earring right now.
Dont forget these arent blessed...so thats more gold into the insurance sink...and more gold per a kill in PvP....

5. To me, the only 2 real gripes is the RBG Sashes...as that completely deflates the value of the old ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda seems hypocritical to like an item that on one hand, along with an entire race of characters, can completely do away with Night Sight potions/spells, but be against the complete deflating of a different kind of market (guard sashes). I don't know how lucrative Night Sight potions were before...and I sure do like my elvish night sight too...but I certainly see the complaint on how it handcuffed Alchemists.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't know how lucrative Night Sight potions were before...and I sure do like my elvish night sight too...but I certainly see the complaint on how it handcuffed Alchemists.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea...umm......can't you make NS pots with 0 alchemy? Seems like the alchemists might be able to survive. If anything they should be asking to make more stuff instead of trying to stop the earrings that aren't really that big a factor. I sold kegs at one point and NS sold the least. Poison and cure were the big sellers. Some people act like the earrings are some big slap in the face but it's honestly not such a big issue.

S

SilentFoxXy

Being a relative newcomer, (Nearly 2 yrs) this is my first turn in event.

I have faithfully helped/defended at the Wispie invasion, the Alacrity Scrolls thing, taken part in Candle of love, Fought every day in Maginca, and in Moonglow.

Being a totally dedicated hoarder/collector I have also, for no reasons, collected boxes and boxes of stuff. I never dreamt there would be a hand in event, didnt even know they existed.

I collected rubble , why, well it hadnt been done before, I made a rubble house, and I sold some nice bits. I collected over 100 Staff of Pyros, and around the same Vorpals- Why, because I figured in a few years time they would be a very valuable item. Also collected with glee hundreds of cursed artis, which were used on my characters, and greatly enjoyed.

Finally,I collected loads of Planeshields, and swords- Why, because someoone mentioned a turn in event, where I thought 10 of them would give a tiny reward, and 10 of these a slightly better reward.

Having missed AOS clothing, clean up britnannia etc, I never had a blessed tshirt, or a statue, or a NEW item.

I am totally chuffed, (happy/ebulient/made-up) by the reported turn ins. At first I was a bit 'Wow so many items for so little', or 'Wow, these boots sure cost a load of Planswords', but the devs listened, and heard the complaints, and almost straight away addressed these concerns, dropped the required rates, and raised the value of the items.

I cant wait for it to be live, to load up my mule caravan and collect my sexy new earings, my snakey boots, my 6 pieces of gorgeous White armor (Which, in the next publish will receive buffs and become akin to the Virtue set), my T shirts , and other bits n bobs

Also totally made up at the thought of a new story twist, a new 'Boss Monster', a sexy new horse, and some other new items. Also, as I never did/was around for, the Ophidian events , Im real happy that I now have reason to go explore the lair.

Thanks Draconi and the Devs, brilliant, totally, brilliant.

D

DooWootle

<blockquote><hr>

demon blood from Magincia invasion ?

.....will get into the list for next turn-in. Draconi posted that in another thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance you can tell us which thread? Also, was blackrock included in that list? I got some pieces left and was wondering what to do with them....

And, did it sould like the was a permanent turn in? With the ophidian stuff now dropping I would think it's a possibility.

Doo

I

imported_Evilminion

What he said!
I'm just itching for the turn-in to start so's I can pull my beetle out of the stable, load it up with rubble and cursies, and start earning my new treasures. I sorted everything out into boxes last night in anticipation, cleared a spot in my garden for Sherry, and now I just have to endure the "night before Christmas" feeling until the publish goes live.

Sadly, I suck at being patient.

EDIT: <blockquote><hr>

...a sexy new horse...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, except that bit. The day I describe a horse as "sexy", no matter how new and cool it might be, I lose my right to mock "furries".

G

I must express my disappointment at the apparent incitement of the playerbase to hoard the development team has promoted as of late. This is actually a classic mistake. By encouraging players to hoard and stockpile, incentivizing this type of behavior begins to widen the already huge gap between the hardcore and casual playerbase of Ultima Online.

I am what could be considered a casual UOer, albeit a jaded veteran in my own right. I returned to play during the Moonglow event (anyone keeping track of elapsed time on this puppy?) to experience something new and immersive. Previously I had collected a handful of coins from the Sherry the Mouse event, and I managed to get a Planesword and Shield or two, as well as some of those neat threads and even a Cloak of Corruption. That's what the casual player got.

The hardcore player continued to powergame the rift, piling up sword after sword, cloak after cloak and remarkably more event items. I refer to the previous poster who mentioned that they collected more than a 100 Staff of Pyros. 100? At some point during that monotony, did UO cease to be a game for you and start to become work? So the gap between casual and hardcore widens. But now, the announcement of the turn-ins today left everyone a little queasy, I think.

Let's start with the most obvious. White "Knight" armor with 7% resists? Firstly, if you aren't aiming for 70's, you just aren't playing the same game as everyone else. Secondly, I, and at -least- six other people I know are Mages. Would it really be that incredibly difficult to make it so that I can wear cloth armor and compete? Maybe an armor-excluding cloth robe with the stuff I need? You know, like in every other single freaking fantasy game where there are mages, wizards, magic users etc. But I digress. 7% Luna White armor doesn't do it for me.

Snake Skin Boots are a nice toss to the folks too dupe-scared to buy Vine Cords that fell off the back of the truck. Not too remarkable though. As for the shirts with the cutesy little sayings on them? Dev Team, c'mon. Do your homework. Pop quiz here.

Q) What makes AoS clothing rare?
A) It's hue.

Originally, AoS clothing was hated for the ridiculous sayings it featured. "I helped bring about the Age of Shadows - Grim Necromancer Babyjesus", not the coolest thing to wear. But the unique hue made AoS clothing appeal to the player's sense of pixelcrack. So, it understandably baffles the heck out of me to see you releasing something similar to the AoS clothing, except, just shirts, no unique hues, with horrible god awful sayings on them.

"Council of Mages is #1!". What blazingly out of character backwater football game is one supposed to wear this particular piece of attire to? "I survived snakes on the plains" and "I saved the day and all I got was this fancy shirt" belong in a Lillian Vernon catalog next to "I'm with Stupid --&gt;" and "Talk to the Hand", rather than in MY game. Not to overblow the sense of entitlement here, but if we promise to continue paying our subscription fees, will you promise not to break character with pathetic packrat-incentivizing rewards?

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK It's May now April Fools is over....You got us! Now can we put the joke to bed and publish the real turn-ins?

I

imported_Coppelia

And when you're sad or overwhelmed by problems, just look at the reward table : random alacrity scroll 20,000 pts! Endless fun!

kim_m007

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personaly always like to see new items in the game doesnt matter if they make sounds, or they do look little simple .. its something new to see and collect

I

IPlayUOTOOMuCH

Question.
How do you know if you have the Ophidian Mystic, Vanq, Power weps
or just the Mystic, Vanq Power weps? Do the Ophidian ones say "Ophidian Mystic" for example.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Question.
How do you know if you have the Ophidian Mystic, Vanq, Power weps
or just the Mystic, Vanq Power weps? Do the Ophidian ones say "Ophidian Mystic" for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The Ophidians ones do have the word in the title.