• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Greed and Elitism in Rares Community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont think thats the reason people are leaving, but what makes it hard for new people to get into rares. the "greed" of rares collectors leaving i wouldnt really call greed, just "cashing out"
the games old. only so much enjoyment to be had before the pixels loose their luster i suppose.

Drop system is of course a problem. people who put in lots of effort will always get the majority of the items. before it was damage / template / skill of play now its just numbers of characters. which is also frustrating. i know im less likely pay the "high end" price knowing someone got multiples.

rares game is hard to get into, and hard to stay out of. theres still a healthy community out there, greedy and elite or not. were a decent amount of "new" people buying at last raresfest and silent acutions. whether they will stick around and develop a collection, or just like to have a few nice things to soon to tell.

I know for me, a relatively new collector, rares are a hard thing to get into unless youve been around a while.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hmmm...how many topics can be posted like this before people actually begin to acknowledge it??

Be careful with what you say, those same elites will try to get your thread removed to protect themselves...

Good on you for trying to bring it to everyone's attention.

BluNtMaN[ATL]

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is back o school for me and also back to work, plus i got 3 kids hehe, Life has just been to busy to be availible to do what i would like to in-game. Although for all those who Like AUCTIONS, I will be putting one together for my absence in hope that all you can still continue to have fun and enjoy being able to have the Auction enviorment.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Drop system is of course a problem. people who put in lots of effort will always get the majority of the items. before it was damage / template / skill of play now its just numbers of characters. which is also frustrating. i know im less likely pay the "high end" price knowing someone got multiples.
Same problem the old system had. With the new system at least EVERYONE has a chance, while in the old you could pretty much call the 10-20 people who were going to get the drop.

There is definitely a problem with the community. The rich should be the ones more willing to sacrifice convenience if it means helping the smaller shards + smaller collectors. But, as a whole, they/we aren't.

Some people play the victim
Some people play the savior

Some people are generous
Some people are greedy

This is life. This is what we are as humans. Its no surprise it holds true online and offline.

I don't do everything I preach, I'm not ashamed to say I've given in to the lazy, apathetic majority. Its a very hard thing to resist. But unlike others, at least I'm willing to admit it and say it out loud.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ooh be careful Angel, excellent topics such as this one will easily get banned by greedy players who publicly announced their goal to over charge the community on their event items just because the Developers changed the looting system.

Good for you for trying to bring this to light though. The public needs to be aware.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Same problem the old system had. With the new system at least EVERYONE has a chance, while in the old you could pretty much call the 10-20 people who were going to get the drop.

There is definitely a problem with the community. The rich should be the ones more willing to sacrifice convenience if it means helping the smaller shards + smaller collectors. But, as a whole, they/we aren't.

Some people play the victim
Some people play the savior

Some people are generous
Some people are greedy

This is life. This is what we are as humans. Its no surprise it holds true online and offline.

I don't do everything I preach, I'm not ashamed to say I've given in to the lazy, apathetic majority. Its a very hard thing to resist. But unlike others, at least I'm willing to admit it and say it out loud."

Best Quote for the night :) I am with him up there.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmmm...how many topics can be posted like this before people actually begin to acknowledge it??

Be careful with what you say, those same elites will try to get your thread removed to protect themselves...

Good on you for trying to bring it to everyone's attention.

How can you agree when your items are priced much higher than anyone else and you have so many?

Angel Dust

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To all, I do not mean for this to be a post to cause name calling and pointing of fingers. I have seen way to many comments, posts, and sales threads to know who is what. I have always tried to gets deals and give deals when it comes to buying and selling. I have dealt with a ton of folks who have bought items from me in the past. If I do not have a price in mind, I have always said to them to give me an offer they think is fair. If it sounded fair, I accepted, if not I worked with them on it. I have also tried to buy items in the same manner, most of the time the seller is very easy to work with and is willing to work deals. Those are the ones who I usually go back to. I have bought items that have come up for sale from these certain sellers (Whom are well known collectors that know the market, so there was no lowballing a new collector involved). These days, there is no working deals, it is all or nothing. All I am curious of is how many new collectors and players have been driven away because of a certain mentality? This way of thinking will be the demise of Ultima Online. The scary part is most people do not even see it happening. Yes, this is the model of the real world folks as Promathia said, but look at the state of the real world because of it.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i used to be into collecting... now i just play like i am in rl.. i sell everything i don't use. heh.

i don't think people are leaving for any other reason then just cuz they want to.. family's.. job changes.. just taking a break. trying out a new game for a few..

each.time in the past before i left for a few i would always do a sale. well except the last time i just let it all fall on baja (your welcome)

very few people i believe are leaving because of elitism or greed.. if they are they need to check their mental health.. cuz they are to into this game haha

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm confused. For clarity sake, without mentioning names of course, can we get some examples of peoples greed and especially people elitism? How does one display elitism in such a manner to facilitate another persons leaving the game?

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I talk to maybe three members of this community outside of trade deals... meaning idle chit chat. I'm getting rid of most of my collection because most of the items don't mean anything to me anymore. I've never had a problem affording anything that I wanted to buy and I have never bought gold for RL. If I didn't like the price, I didn't buy it... but it never made me upset that it was priced too high.

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Honestly I'm losing interest because the EMs keep spewing out rares. I can't even get my site up to date, they spew out more rares than time allotted to grab pictures. Secondly, and I realize others might disagree, because they feel that everyone should be able to have this or that and not a select few (thte total opposite of having RARES), but I get a cherished rare that I like to show off, such as a blaze lantern, or my See I beat mesanna two toned blue and pink lantern, and the EM's or Mesanna suddenly give off 100 or more of the same hued item. This continues with lots of rares, not just mine, but I see paintings have the same graphic over and over with a different name, until you get tired of seeing it, and its no longer special.

My two cents,
Deca

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not as much effort is being put in as well it seems. There used to be cool invasions, arcs etc. etc.. Mesanna held some cool events on her own with unique items. The Em's spew out so many items now as well. I said it before, when everything is rare nothing will be. There needs to be some creative stuff going on like the Magencia (rubble) arc for example, or a good old fashion orc invasion . Even the Holliday items the last couple years are generic. Remember when it was exciting getting a white statue, or you damn near had a coronary if you got a angel statue. How about some really kick ass daily's or weekly's again. Remember when fruit baskets were the shiat. Its the little things that re lacking that made people want to play this game.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agree with Decadence. id prefer if rares were 3 to 10 drops. not current 10 to 20. an everyone drop once in a while or for holiday drops. Seeing the same hue / colors / effects overused makes something less "rare" *waits for the everyone drop glacial lantern :eyes:*

that being said, the EM program is the last thing in game i really find rewarding (no pun intended) Its worth doing, live entertainment. i cant imagine UO being around right now if there werent as many events / drops as their are.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I disagree wholeheartedly. All drops should be 15-25 at least. There is no major gold sink, and no other major system to have gold exchange hands than events right now.

Sure the prices go down, and sure some of you view it as less "rare". I think that's laughable when you are talking about an item only FIFTEEN people in the whole game can own. Spread the love around, let a small collector have an easier time to get an awesome rare, let a small time player obtain something they can sell.

The amount of items is not the problem. Its peoples attitudes.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I agree with Decadence, to a point. Smoot, I really don't want "uber-rares". I think "rares" and EM events have each derailed each other. Too many events, too many new items, and too little thought as to why those items exist. If I'm at the event, and I fight the boss, why did some get the item, but I didn't, or vica versa? (You always feel bad if you get one, and a friend doesn't.) I know the code reasons, I mean, what is the actual point of the item? To me, it's to remember the event - a keepsake. I remember when "rares" were broken down to server birth, trammel birth, monthly, weekly, daily, this bug, that bug, etc. Now, it seems, far too much attention is given to EM drops, and far too little to anything else. How else can I buy a server birth from 17 years ago for 25m, but an EM drop from an event I'm *still at*, which had the drop but hasn't yet even finished, is listed for sale for 750m?

I far preferred scenarios and dailys. Dailys (or even stealables) were simply fun to find and chase - I'd love to see dozens or hundreds of new ones introduced all over the lands. Scenarios, too; they actually changed the game in a permanent way. Yew? Plants, gardening, bags of sending... Magicina? NM vendors, rubble... But a weekly EM event? They never create new systems (gardening, etc), rarely if ever create *permanent* new areas (like seers sometimes did - Wintermute was always my favorite spot on Chessie), and while there may be an ongoing fiction, it's frequently hard to follow even if you're at the event, it gets drowned out by all the event farmers, generally is a terrible lagfest (esp on Atl and GL, in my experience), and doesn't introduce any new systems, only some new hue for an already existing item, with ever longer and more bizarre names, and very limited quantities.

It's easy to see why folks are getting tired of collecting EM drops. Can we get some new scenarios, new dailys, new stealables, new hidden areas to explore - new spice, in other words, that lasts longer than the hour or two of an EM event? I can only collect so many open or piled books with different names, so many sashes, etc, before they all blur together and lose any meaning.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
ooh be careful Angel, excellent topics such as this one will easily get banned by greedy players who publicly announced their goal to over charge the community on their event items just because the Developers changed the looting system.
Sooo, don´t buy from those players? That seems pretty simple to me.

Once you give in, they know that it works and they will only continue to do so.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most SB's aren't worth the same because of 17 years of duping. I really don't know what anyone expects as far as that goes.

EM's aren't developers. They try to give us some fun things to attend, they try to create a storyline for us to be absorbed into, and they try to give us a cool reward EVERYONE now has the chance to get. An EM cant create new artwork, they cant create "New Systems", or any of that rubbish.

If your collection is so big that you are getting worn out, maybe you really need to narrow down what you want to collect.

This game is 17 years old, no crap there are a lot of items in it.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Honestly I'm losing interest because the EMs keep spewing out rares.
Funny you say that because at every event I attend (and I attend a lot) there's at least one person complaining that there wasn't a drop or the drop was only "10" or "20". Remember our EMs were hired to entertain us, either through story or through the event content itself. The best EMs can combine both. I really believe we are pretty close to dead-on with the number of drops necessary to keep the activity. Keeping in mind it's one item per EM per month. No more, although sometimes less, it gives those of us with a theme the opportunity to expand upon it. I collect food items in one house and fishing/pirate type themed items in another. I was thrilled to see two maps given out last month on two shards. You may not know how rare that is unless you specifically collect those items.
Decadence I don't want to call you out. I love you!!! But honey you have owned how many Luna houses on Atlantic? It might sound crazy, but bear with me (I mean no offense by this) but perhaps some of you have simply gotten too UO-rich for your own good. What I mean to say is maybe the challenge is gone for you because you can afford to buy whatever you want whenever you want it. I can understand how that might get boring and I understand how that might make it seem like EM's are just "spewing out rares".
For me, I am right on the border between rares collector and amateur rares collector... to some my collection is impressive, to others it isn't a drop in the bucket. Even considering I've "collected" things since early UO, I concentrated on a lot of other things other than that for many years before I settled down for the hardcore. To me I am still "trying to make ends meet" and balancing my collecting with my selling. It keeps the game alive.
EM events are fun. I enjoy and appreciate the work the EMs put into the fiction, *(story they tell), the decorations, (especially the GL EMs), as well as the challenge of getting that random drop in your pack.
I will tell you this. Without the people I love so much that I have been playing with it wouldn't be the same. We share laughs, we commiserate together when we don't get a drop, we tease, we play and we help each other with our collections. If you don't have this sort of combination of "flavors" UO may not "taste" as good.

For the tldr crowd: Being not too rich that you're bored because you can buy anything you want, the right amazing group of people for you to play with, the ability to appreciate the jobs others do, including the EMs and their stories, And still having goals you'd like to reach in the game, are all required in some capacity/level in order to really be "into" UO these days in the rares world.

Angel Dust

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm confused. For clarity sake, without mentioning names of course, can we get some examples of peoples greed and especially people elitism? How does one display elitism in such a manner to facilitate another persons leaving the game?
I have not had a personal experience with the elitism part, but I see it in some of the posts, just random comments and such, it is easy to spot. So that point of this post was to see if this drives players away. As for greed, I see that and face that on many deals. Most sellers have no sense of negotiation, it is there way or else. @Tjalle, I do not buy items from people who do not want to negotiate. Longtooths, you and myself have had dealings. We negotiated and both agreed on final sale we thought was fair on both ends. Both parties are happy(I still need my book from ya :)). The greedy ones are the sellers who say make an offer, then get upset because you didn't offer 800mil for an item worth 200mil. So, without saying names, I asked a simple question to see what the "Community" had to say.

Last edited:

Angel Dust

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response.

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Funny you say that because at every event I attend (and I attend a lot) there's at least one person complaining that there wasn't a drop or the drop was only "10" or "20". Remember our EMs were hired to entertain us, either through story or through the event content itself. The best EMs can combine both. I really believe we are pretty close to dead-on with the number of drops necessary to keep the activity. Keeping in mind it's one item per EM per month. No more, although sometimes less, it gives those of us with a theme the opportunity to expand upon it. I collect food items in one house and fishing/pirate type themed items in another. I was thrilled to see two maps given out last month on two shards. You may not know how rare that is unless you specifically collect those items.
Decadence I don't want to call you out. I love you!!! But honey you have owned how many Luna houses on Atlantic? It might sound crazy, but bear with me (I mean no offense by this) but perhaps some of you have simply gotten too UO-rich for your own good. What I mean to say is maybe the challenge is gone for you because you can afford to buy whatever you want whenever you want it. I can understand how that might get boring and I understand how that might make it seem like EM's are just "spewing out rares".
For me, I am right on the border between rares collector and amateur rares collector... to some my collection is impressive, to others it isn't a drop in the bucket. Even considering I've "collected" things since early UO, I concentrated on a lot of other things other than that for many years before I settled down for the hardcore. To me I am still "trying to make ends meet" and balancing my collecting with my selling. It keeps the game alive.
EM events are fun. I enjoy and appreciate the work the EMs put into the fiction, *(story they tell), the decorations, (especially the GL EMs), as well as the challenge of getting that random drop in your pack.
I will tell you this. Without the people I love so much that I have been playing with it wouldn't be the same. We share laughs, we commiserate together when we don't get a drop, we tease, we play and we help each other with our collections. If you don't have this sort of combination of "flavors" UO may not "taste" as good.

For the tldr crowd: Being not too rich that you're bored because you can buy anything you want, the right amazing group of people for you to play with, the ability to appreciate the jobs others do, including the EMs and their stories, And still having goals you'd like to reach in the game, are all required in some capacity/level in order to really be "into" UO these days in the rares world.
I understand what you are saying, and I hear you, but I want to iterate...I'm not complaining as much about the number of drops at each event, but the rares community is small, and there are 2 drops for almost every shard each month. The rares just keep coming out, and keep getting rehashed. And I have no problem with the everyone drops every so often, so that everyone benefits.. I especially love the rewards given to those who participate the most at events.... ButI think that is just too many drops in a given month, and as lineman and smoot said they often lack in the awe aspect. I am not bored with collecting because I can "afford" anything I want-which is not true, I limit most of my collecting to lanterns and animals, and I don't have time to join a guild, because I spent 90% of my UO time shopping and reselling and stocking my vendor in order to afford the rares I own, not to mention wheeling and dealing and brokering other people's sales so I can have a percentage to put towards rares I want...I work hard for everything I have on UO.,,I have lost the interest in collecting because my rares become not really rare, and because I keep walking into everyone elses museum and instead of oohing and ahhing like I used to, I'm like oh whats that--a zombie painting? oh no its called "
An Eerie Haunted Life Image Of Tuan The Insane" -- oh wow there is a beautiful old tattered white painting... but there are so many in so many houses--oh that is because there is now 15
A Painting With A Human Skin Canvas--and this keeps coming. I hope I am conveying what I am trying to say properly.

and I love you too flutter!!

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No matter what UO does with the drop system there will always be people unhappy about it. Before people didn't like top damager. Now people don't like that a few bring multiple chars up to 5+ to events bc its easy to get looting rights on several chars. Nothing is going to be perfect but it is more fair now. I'm happy it changed it gives the little people like me a chance to get a drop now. I also agree that 1 drop per em per month is a fair amount and that it should stay around 10-25ish depending on server. If it dropped to 1-3 then there would be no new collectors bc they would have almost 0 chance to obtain them.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So this post started asking the question, are greed and Elitism causing people to quit?

The majority in this post are instead saying the problem is the sheer amount of rares entering the community and the duplication of graphics for rares. I think this would answer the OP's question with a resounding, "nope"

Greed and Elitism are neat and colorful to blame but they are both subjective and as we see above, not easily defined. It also seems that examples of such or specifics are not easily forth coming.

Just sayin'

Lt.Snuggles

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
after reading this, i have to agree with every post from promathia... this isn't normal!

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So this post started asking the question, are greed and Elitism causing people to quit?

The majority in this post are instead saying the problem is the sheer amount of rares entering the community and the duplication of graphics for rares. I think this would answer the OP's question with a resounding, "nope"

Greed and Elitism are neat and colorful to blame but they are both subjective and as we see above, not easily defined. It also seems that examples of such or specifics are not easily forth coming.

Just sayin'
No, they left out one thing...the human ego

And showing how some collectors get all cra cra for certain drops, or when topics are brought up (such as this one) I would say that it is a resounding, "yep".

Just sayin'

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The majority in this post are instead saying the problem is the sheer amount of rares entering the community and the duplication of graphics for rares.
One could argue that in itself is an example of the elitism of our community. We like our rares, but not when so many other people have them. I mean, to a big extent I'm the same way.

Now this next part isn't directed at anyone in particular:

I have fun doing events.
I have even more fun doing them with a great group of friends.
I'm disappointed when I don't get a drop.
I'm really happy when I do get a drop.
I still end up having to pay 800-1b for certain 10 drops
I still end up having to pay 500-1b for certain 20 drops
I still have trouble finding certain items I want

At Rares Fest, a recent 20 drop from Atlantic sold for 1.5b. How much more rare do some people want things to be? They are still selling at a premium, they are still rare, they still take effort to find if you weren't part of that initial rush. Lets also mention, they are STILL HARD TO BUY if you aren't the same ~10 big collectors who have more gold than anyone else.

Who does it really help by having less drops? Its the same big collectors, the same rich people. You cannot tell me it will ever help the smaller collectors. Not when the game is this old. Not when the game has this much gold in the system. Not when a lot of that gold is tied up to the same people.

If people are really feeling inundated with rares, then I suggest narrowing down the scope of what you collect. I enjoy my collection now much more now that its smaller and not just "One of everything". But that's up to the collector to decide.

I think its beautiful irony that a thread asking about elitism and greed in this community has turned into a discussion from the community complaining that too many people have the same rares they do.

*** For the record, I do not agree that people are quitting UO because of elitism and greed. I also do not know anyone who has quit for that reason. Speculating doesn't get anything achieved. If you know someone who quit, ask them why they quit. If they actually said its due to elitism, then say it. Don't try to hide it within a question.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
How can you agree when your items are priced much higher than anyone else and you have so many?
I price them that way so that I don't have to deal with collectors like you or anyone else that liked your post. It's a statement that none of you can seem to comprehend...I do remember very vividly things that you and others have said to me, which made me never, ever want to deal with you (or them) again. So as I continue to get drops I will continue to sell them to a very select few because they are actually.....wait for it...genuinely nice people! Can you believe it? They don't ridicule, they don't attack and they actually help the new collector get their feet wet.

So in regards to your question, I agree wholeheartedly with the OP and that there needs to be something done to reenergize the community because none of you are doing it...

OP, you created a great discussion and you are bringing an ongoing problem to the attention of the community and for that I will say it again...Good job:thumbsup:

Angel Dust

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, some good points are coming up. Keep it clean folks, the sheriff is watching!

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aiden,

I help more people in this game then you can count. I also do not constantly complain and whine on the forums. I do not sell my rares for exorbitant prices to others. I do not exclude a class of players for their opinions. I am also not continuously attacking people using words like Elitism and Greed. But hey, I'm the bad guy right?

Might I suggest that you take the time to point that laser like microscope of judgement that you consistently point at others and point it at yourself for a minute or two. You seem to always be struggling with some form of dislike for other players. Maybe a vacation or self evaluation would be good for you. I would just hate for you to quit for Elitism and Greed ole buddy. {{BIG HUGS}}

**You consistently say that something needs to be done.....What specifically?

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aiden,

I help more people in this game then you can count. I also do not constantly complain and whine on the forums. I do not sell my rares for exorbitant prices to others. I do not exclude a class of players for their opinions. I am also not continuously attacking people using words like Elitism and Greed. But hey, I'm the bad guy right?
Having gotten to know Longtooth, he is a great guy. Very helpful, very nice, overall great person. I am happy to have gotten to know him.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
I've also had some interaction with Longtooths, though I don't know him personally. He has always been pleasant and friendly. So as far as "collectors like you (Longtooths)", I say we need more.

Angel Dust

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, no one leaves due to OP. It is mainly RL and to many rares in UO. Mystery solved!

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I price them that way so that I don't have to deal with collectors like you or anyone else that liked your post. It's a statement that none of you can seem to comprehend...I do remember very vividly things that you and others have said to me, which made me never, ever want to deal with you (or them) again. So as I continue to get drops I will continue to sell them to a very select few because they are actually.....wait for it...genuinely nice people! Can you believe it? They don't ridicule, they don't attack and they actually help the new collector get their feet wet.

So in regards to your question, I agree wholeheartedly with the OP and that there needs to be something done to reenergize the community because none of you are doing it...

OP, you created a great discussion and you are bringing an ongoing problem to the attention of the community and for that I will say it again...Good job:thumbsup:

I think its the other way around. It is your attitude that no one wants to deal with you. Above all else we are a tight community. You can complain all you like, "no one is doing this", "no one is doing that", but in reality most people here have been doing things for years. The only thing you have done is to run your mouth off. You want to know what we've done so far? Wait for it....here it goes:

1. 10+ Rare Fest with over 50+ people helping over the years
2. Duping list to help players to identify duped rares
3. Museum thread started 2-3 different times that showcases museums around Sosaria to stimulate the players
4. Bug item list to help players to avoid buying bugged items
5. Event item list that was created since season 1 and been kept up since then
6. Manticore's shard wide scavenger events done twice were by at least 5-6 billion worth of items were given out
7. Nails' gazillion rare's auctions for the past 2 years
8. The thousands of ICQs we've answered over the years on the origins of rares and price checks and brokerings by veteran collectors
9. The countless transfers we've done for players over the years without ever asking for anything in return
10. Guidelines for safer trading
11. Guide for exploiter items
12. Book of False Rares
13. And the countless of other things the veterans of this community have done for other players.

So my question to you is, who the hell do you think you are coming here making the type of remarks that you do? Have you done anything to help this community other than to purposely price your items so high so you don't have to deal with collectors and instead sell them to your "genuine good people" list? HOLY COW, I hope your "genuine good people" list are reading this. I guess we, the collectors, should say "thank you" for not selling them to us at those prices?

We've seen your type before. See what happens when you try to lower your items to 5 gp and see if they get sold. You are the quintessential definition of total greed to this game. You come in, get your items, then start selling here so you can get your money back. You may know something about getting items but you know nothing about this community.

Last edited:

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A person will sell their items for what they feel the item is worth to -them-. Personally, I find it refreshing when someone just posts a price rather than asking for offers. I experienced the annoyance of 'offers' as a buyer and a seller. When folks aren't willing to negotiate sometimes it is a matter of greed, sometimes its a matter of them wanting what they paid for it and ... sometimes it is a matter of the person enjoying the item so much that it would take quite a bit of gold to counter that.

I've been selling off my most of my collection. Not every 1/10 goes for 400m+. I had one sit at 40m before it sold. I had another 1/10 that sat at 35m before I finally pulled it off. It all depends on the graphic and if it fits into someone's collection or is super flashy. There are plenty of inexpensive rares for new collectors... they don't want them either.

Some of my items have remaining -meaning- to me and probably will not reach the auction block even if I leave this game as I don't realistically feel I would get enough gold to counter that.

Some examples...
My single malt whiskey. I've had numerous PMs/ICQs since I posted that I might be quitting about it. I've had offers of 200 to 400m. I think it is a 1/14 . That should be an appropriate price price with the drop rate/graphic. However, I don't see me selling it for that amount because it -means- a lot to me and has brought a smile to my face for years. I used to rp a bartender back the day with PTC events and my alcohol collection was what I had the ability to server rply, along with a fiery concoction called Titan's Piss that I used to serve with mad scientist gloves and goggles. Anyways, I'd have to find an item that I would find that I would enjoy looking at just as much and given the current market, I don't see that happening for the offers previously listed.

Another one I probably won't sell will be my "_______ of exceptional quality" collection. I would want to sell it to someone who would keep it together as I have been working on that collection for a very, very long time. I would want someone to enjoy it as I have. I've been mocked for that collection because the most expensive item in it on it's own is probably only worth 10m. Most collectors wouldn't enjoy it or probably even consider owning it because it isn't worth anything to them. It is worth WAY more to me because I've put my time and sweat into it and I believe it is one of the most extensive collections of those items in the game. However, most collectors wouldn't even pay 100m for it I suspect unless they could piece it out and sell it individually for profit and to me it is worth more than that.
Those two examples for the reasons listed will... if I leave the game... will most likely be banked rather than sold. Not all high prices are pure monetary greed. I would rather bank them and have them if I was to return rather than sell them for the amounts that most others would value them at. The mean more to -me- than that.

Now other items from my collection, I have a bottom line, usually close to what I paid for it. If they don't sell for that, than they will be simply be banked for start-up funds if I quit, or I'll keep trying to sell them as long as I'm playing. *shrugs* I'm not in any hurry. Perhaps I will reach a point in this process when I don't give a damn about getting about their value and sell them for whatever. I'm not at that point. *shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.