• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Greed and Elitism in Rares Community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think its the other way around. It is your attitude that no one wants to deal with you. Above all else we are a tight community. You can complain all you like, "no one is doing this", "no one is doing that", but in reality most people here have been doing things for years. The only thing you have done is to run your mouth off. You want to know what we've done so far? Wait for it....here it goes:

We've seen your type before. See what happens when you try to lower your items to 5 gp and see if they get sold. You are the quintessential definition of total greed to this game. You come in, get your items, then start selling here so you can get your money back. You may know something about getting items but you know nothing about this community.

If I had to lower my pricing to get rid of the drops I have and will eventually get would have you all over them...remember; buy low, sell high and get in with the new collectors before they know any better!

I'm not going anywhere, so go ahead and get your supposed tight nit community to huddle up and attempt to bully me and others that, "come and go" as you are implying.

Remember Promanthia's post in regards to getting rare fest on smaller servers and all of his other amazing points he made? Did it get locked, or deleted? I can't remember, but I guess it doesn't matter because what does matter is you all attacking him up until the point the thread was no longer around...I've made one post about it, Promanthia made a post about it, and now the OP of this thread has as well. That is 3 posts in less than 1 month and you are telling me there is nothing wrong?

Please re-read my post about the human ego, I think it would do wonders for everyone to get it under control.

Belittling, posting rude replies and hiding behind a wall of text that is some sort of supposed accomplishment does not make you a better person than I or anyone else for that matter.

:gun::grouphug: <---I couldn't resist

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Aiden, how is that not elitism itself? You want to sell the item yet at the same time control who might eventually own it. Either you sell it, or you don't. However, I fail to see how your prices and your argument are consistent. Manticore and I may not always agree, but I think we both agree here:

Personally, I have no plans to buy any of your items, even if you dropped the prices significantly - when you first posted your list, I and others tried to help you, with the assumption that you actually planned to sell the items, not keep listing them well above market prices. You pretty much spat in our faces.

You have a book that sells for 250k on vendors, and is quite common, yet you're asking 50m for it. I can go through pretty much every item you list, and your 'sale' prices, week after week, are at or above the highest price ever asked for that item. And you're not selective; you ask that price regardless of the buyer. That's your perogative. You can ask whatever price you want. To me, though, it looks like simple greed, regardless what rationale you wrap around it, or, as you put it, an attempt to "get in with the new collectors before they know any better".

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Aiden, how is that not elitism itself? You want to sell the item yet at the same time control who might eventually own it. Either you sell it, or you don't. However, I fail to see how your prices and your argument are consistent. Manticore and I may not always agree, but I think we both agree here:

To me, though, it looks like simple greed, regardless what rationale you wrap around it, or, as you put it, an attempt to "get in with the new collectors before they know any better".
I am guessing you are not getting the emphasis I am putting on the above quote about buying low and selling high. And since I have to tip toe around on these forums because you all can call me out but as soon as I mention any names my posts are reported and deleted I'll generalize it.

With the new drop system allowing everyone a "fair chance" has some of these Elite Collectors (a term I didn't even come up with btw) buddying up to new commers and offering them, no, more like bullying them into selling their drop at a price much lower than what it is worth, in order to either resell or add to their collection. It is not a practice I partake in....

If none of you can see the strategy I have behind my pricing, that is your own fault...but it is definitely working against the people I am speaking very generally about...

And did you try and help me? Or did you, and others mock me? LOL at me? or treat me like I am some uneducated child that needed his hand held? I wish that Thread still had all of the posts because it would show a side of many that wasn't very pleasant...

yardman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Buy low sell high HMMMMMMMM that reminds me of someone.........I need a hug too now :(

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
like him or not, i understand why Aiden sticks to high prices. Many complained because they didnt want to put in the effort to get event drops under the old system. Now those who Did put in the effort were forced to re-do their work to adapt to the new system to obtain a comparable number of drops. (still less of course)

ill admit i liked the old system because it was competitive and to me that was fun. getting an item under the old system was very rewarding because i knew my hard work and skilled gameplay paid off. im not very enthusiastic about the new system, and have been slow to adapt, but those who have taken the time to make many low-end event characters also deserve to have their effort rewarded.

Tho charm and politeness do not seem to be Aiden's fortitude, i get what hes saying. He had to do more work because many people did not want to do their own work to be competitive at events, so he feels he deserves the right to keep his prices at what he feels his effort is worth.

Myself, i agree with Assia. I'm a collector as well as an "eventer" Some items i may value more than "the going rate" but i may still post these items. If someone values something as much or more than me id like to give him or her the chance to buy it. Items that i have little interest in i try to sell quickly, so usually a lower price. If someone is interested in an item i have, but not for that price, ive often helped him or her find the item for what they are willing to pay.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Aiden, the thread was deleted, iirc, because of your personal attacks.

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, after reading this I feel I must chime in. In al truthfulness, it is a bit of everything. When I decided I was going to quit, it was because of players attitude, the elitism between many aspects of the game (not just rares), and greed that has taken over the general public. I too am not pointing fingers, but for the past 3-4 months, I have taken on a lot of heat regarding rares fest, my auction house, the general public, and from EM events.

This too is why so many at Toad Town are leaving. Now, I'm not saying that why most are leaving, but that is why I was going to. There comes a point when you just have had enough. A game isn't a game anymore if it is a job, and that's all it has been for the past year for me.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
My thread is still up and running and was in no way deleted due to "my personal attacks"...

Nice try though.
That's your replacement thread. I'm talking about your original "selling event items" thread, the one which doesn't show on Stratics anymore. ;) You know, the one in which you now claim that I and others mocked you?

Lt.Snuggles

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, after reading this I feel I must chime in. In al truthfulness, it is a bit of everything. When I decided I was going to quit, it was because of players attitude, the elitism between many aspects of the game (not just rares), and greed that has taken over the general public. I too am not pointing fingers, but for the past 3-4 months, I have taken on a lot of heat regarding rares fest, my auction house, the general public, and from EM events.

This too is why so many at Toad Town are leaving. Now, I'm not saying that why most are leaving, but that is why I was going to. There comes a point when you just have had enough. A game isn't a game anymore if it is a job, and that's all it has been for the past year for me.
You know what they say alex, if someone is hating on you, it means you're doing something right :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Alex sounds like you need a nice vacation shard :) your right, the atlantic scumbags can be tiresome. not to even mention the rares game.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
That's your replacement thread. I'm talking about your original "selling event items" thread, the one which doesn't show on Stratics anymore. ;) You know, the one in which you now claim that I and others mocked you?
If it was deleted, then wouldn't I have had to restart a new thread? I never had to do such a thing...Petra deleted all of the negativity from you and others on that thread and left the original post and pictures included. Oh, and the title...

So Brian, since you are still choosing to be rather belittling, care to explain how it would have been deleted and yet remain intact at the same time? Seeing as how I never had to restart it, and there was never a moment in time that it was off of the forums? Oh and the simple fact it kept its view count??

I can't wait to hear this...

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
More whining from the same people and no solutions....boring.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Petra is asleep. So that leaves me.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am pretty baffled by this community... That does not mean I will not enforce the RoC as I see it.

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Smoot who says all of the ppl that use to get drops regular is getting less now? Maybe it took a lil time to adjust but some that spent a lot of time is pulling more drops now than before. It is much easier to get looting rights on 5+ chars than being top damager on 2-3 chars. I'm sure they miss 1 here and there but the doubles and triples they get make up for it. I think its time to start another poll and see if we can vote against people that have several accounts and spent time churning out chars like a madman and is doing better than before :)

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Aiden, your replacement thread, iirc, began with something like "Only post if you want to buy". If I recall correctly, those you claim 'belittled' you in that original thread included such well known elite belittlers as myself, @4gregu, and @Assia Penryn.

We didn't belittle you in any way. We offerred friendly price checks, which you took quite badly. @Petra Fyde or @kelmo , if you still have access to that original deleted thread of Aiden's, would you mind giving some sort of access, so we can defend ourselves here from this silly claim? :)

EDIT: My mistake, it was Petra who posted that "Only post if you want to buy". Aiden, it's rather difficult to defend against your claims when every reply was deleted. Whether it was the same thread, or a replacement, you managed to get everything but the original post removed. Yet now you want to attack folks with misrepresentations of the contents of that thread?

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
The moderator of this forum has access to those posts. As do I. A few other admin types as well... I always thought you folks did OK policing your selves? This thread begs to be declared a troll thread.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am pretty baffled by this community... That does not mean I will not enforce the RoC as I see it.
seems pretty normal to me. (if i remember my last family reunion right) *smiles and nods*

Angel Dust

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am glad you chimed in Alex. Players such as yourself are the reason I posed this question. I have watched many players just fade away over the years with no explanation or reason. I have seen several players leave because of griefers, greed, and backstabbing. I myself almost left awhile back when a guild mate robbed me of a crap ton of rare items. As a well known player just stated recently, Raresfest is more of a Greed fest (I like many of you, but do not try to say it wasn't, you will only be lying to yourselves). This was proven by seeing the same crap at same prices on vendors the whole raresfest. The only stuff that was selling was off vendors who negotiated or dropped prices as time went on until items sold, and in silent auction houses where most items where at very reasonable reserves rather than in past where a lot of items sat because of insane reserves. At this point, watching everyone go back and forth, I think my question has been answered.

Did anyone even get this quote? "Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response."

Thank you all for the discussion. Thank you all for many years of UO. Thank you all for many great experiences. Farewell.

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
The moderator of this forum has access to those posts. As do I. A few other admin types as well... I always thought you folks did OK policing your selves? This thread begs to be declared a troll thread.
Thanks @kelmo :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Take it to private message. 24 hour cool down for any one getting confrontational in public.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I only know one or two of you rares folk... Just saying.

Dregg

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Now that i think of it maybe someone could start up a rent-a-rares-friend foundation. I'll let someone rent me for free :banana:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Look folks... I am passionate about the things I am... As are you folk.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
*Wants a "Greetings from Statics forum moderator kelmo" sash*

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do we really need you spamming in this thread Kelmo?

Maybe the reason the community has become toxic, is because we are never allowed to talk. The biggest forum we have to go and talk about things like this, get quickly looked at by the overzealous Stratics mods.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I could just lock it.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I could just lock it.
Sure would be on par for how Stratics treats these things.

We are people, not cattle. If everyone keeps this stupid stuff pent up, it will just get worse. Stratics is just getting worse and worse about it.

WE ARE PEOPLE. LET US TALK.

We dont need the overbearing Stratics police constantly reminding us they are watching.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
But hey? This is why we play right? I could not really care less about your rares and pixel. I tried.

The battle here has spilled out side if your forum. No forum is above the rules...

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But hey? This is why we play right? I could not really care less about your rares and pixel. I tried.

The battle here has spilled out side if your forum. No forum is above the rules...

Lol, you really add so much to the conversation at hand.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am likely over bearing...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I did not come here just to stir the pot.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Alex you and your friends have done more for the atlantic community than most people that play ATL
Hosting events (your auction rares fest etc) creat bands of friendship and that realy is all what a community is me and many others have notice that and for that you get a a big Thx you
There will always be people that focus on mistakes so if these people was giving you a hard time remember that the more you do the more mistakes you are going to make and we all make mistakes

So if Alex and others at the toad town are going to quit i just have one question for the people that gave them a hard time (if they even read this board)

Who is going to step up and do what they did for ATL because if no one does there is only one looser ATLANTIC

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Status
Not open for further replies.