• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Global Loot and Antique Mod

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I farmed for four hours... started with hell hounds... moved to earth eles and stiff lvl 1 shame.. onto stone ele .. then to lich lords in fire... to barons in blackthorn ..

overall nothing really worth keeping... no greaters... i got an antique off a hello hound that was maybe worth 5m.. rest were so random they would only be worthy of an unravel.

i think your odds of landing a perfect modded piece is about the same. its all about the skilos resist and stats etc being that perfect combo... which i believe is still a roll of the dice... something that is still rare.

yes the middle of the road stuff seems to be a bit more present due to Tue one neg mod thing hit overall seems like its a good system.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh goodness, dont any of you remember anything?
Sense when has the dev ever NOT reduced the loot from a TC1 test of a patch??
They give more on test so you can get an idea of what can be done.
I do not doubt the patch will go live with a nominal cut back and then once its all go they will give us its final reduction to a more normal output.

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not doubt the patch will go live with a nominal cut back and then once its all go they will give us its final reduction to a more normal output.

If that's the case then. They made perfectly clean items even harder to get... from my testing so far. Its mainly Antique Items that people will be getting. As I tested on the balrons and unbounds. I did 200 Balrons and got I think it was 7 Major Antiques and 2 Legendary Antiques, and I did similar tests on Unbounds with the same results. But I have no complaints as long as Antiques break fairly quick but enough to enjoy for a while.. It won't be awful.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The matter of concern is the over all drops that are going to be dropping from the Global loot. Ettins was just an example they used of what they got off of them. I am showing the results of higher end drops. That's the point of this. To make sure it's not out of control through the entire system..

Well, while it might not be reasonable that ettins drop exceptional loot, I see it perfectly reasonable that Balrons drop good to exceptional loot though at a reduced chance then as often as a Boss could drop them...

The issue here, IMHO, is that new and returning players must receive the opportunity to gather good and exceptional loot even if they do not have uber suits worth hundreds of millions of gold to hunt top Boss game ....

Since new and returning players do not have suits and most likely skills maxed out to be able to solo Bosses and top tough monsters to have access to the top loot, they should still be able, by hunting reasonably tough monsters, for example Balrons and the like, to have also access to the top loot even if with a more reduced chance then if they were hunting Bosses. Reduced chance, in my opinion, should mean still a reasonable chance, not a minimal or impossible one....

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I said it many times in the past, when publishes hit commercial shards, they should be "conservative" at start, not "generous"...... then, over time, adjustments could be made where needed to shift from a more conservative approach to a more generous approach.

This is to avoid early birds position advantages, IMHO.

If a publish is released as a generous one, those players playing after the first few days, weeks, will take advantage of the more generous approach. Then, the Devs make changes and restrictions and the generous approach shifts to a more conservative one BUT, the early birds having players the first days or weeks after commercial release, benefit from that generous approach as compared to the players who come later on.

Not good, not fair, not positive for the game and for players joining in later on.....

So, I think that it should a rule of design, publishes should ALWAYS be released as conservative and AFTER be changed to more generous, wherever needed, NOT the other way around....

Unfortunately, over the years, as Lady Storm has pointed out, I have noticed that publishes are released more often as generous and then restricted towards conservative...... I hope that this one time it will be the other way around.........

That's at least as I see it.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Testing On Balron's

Only testing Antique/Clean Major & Legendary drops....

With 100 Balrons I received 4 Antique Majors, no clean majors or legendarys. All major antiques being jewelry and pretty nice. Going to continue testing different areas and keep everyone up to date that's interested.

137 Balrons First Legendary Antique aka Ephmeral

Who would have a char, where tis item fit?
A mage could use 3 mods, a warrior 3-4 mods. A mage/warrior 6 mods if thrower or mace fighter, so it's not that great.

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I

Unfortunately, over the years, as Lady Storm has pointed out, I have noticed that publishes are released more often as generous and then restricted towards conservative...... I hope that this one time it will be the other way around.........

That's at least as I see it.
Lady storm is talking about the loot being generous on Test Center.... so people have an over abundance of the new loot... to see what items are available.. i do no believe she was talking about early releases of a pub giving generous loot.

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who would have a char, where tis item fit?
A mage could use 3 mods, a warrior 3-4 mods. A mage/warrior 6 mods if thrower or mace fighter, so it's not that great.
The point was not about the mixture of properties... it was how strong and fast the majors dropped.

But as i said before they aren't clean. They are pushing antiques. As long as they break fairly fast but still allow players to enjoy them. I don't see a problem with how it is.

MatlocK

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe they are finally trying to appeal to the casual(lazy according zora)player. Not every can farm 24/7. I am excited for this new loot system. I will actually go hunt like old times even if it is for one hour a day at most.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The point was not about the mixture of properties... it was how strong and fast the majors dropped.

But as i said before they aren't clean. They are pushing antiques. As long as they break fairly fast but still allow players to enjoy them. I don't see a problem with how it is.
currently they dont break very fast tho. all but the most active pvpers could make them last for at least a year or two.

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
currently they dont break very fast tho. all but the most active pvpers could make them last for at least a year or two.
That's what does scare me. Is these items PvP wise... will last months upon months of battle. I did test one on TC I did a bracelet with Consistant fighting meaning wacking none stop.... for 1 hour. A bracelet went from 255 to about 200....

No one in PvP wack's for an hour consistently, some people may only PvP for an hour or two a day or every other day or once or twice a week but only actually fight for maybe 20 actual minutes of pure fighting.

So I think the durability decay rate for antiques needs a boost or they need to start them with lower durability.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's what does scare me. Is these items PvP wise... will last months upon months of battle. I did test one on TC I did a bracelet with Consistant fighting meaning wacking none stop.... for 1 hour. A bracelet went from 255 to about 200....

No one in PvP wack's for an hour consistently, some people may only PvP for an hour or two a day or every other day or once or twice a week but only actually fight for maybe 20 actual minutes of pure fighting.

So I think the durability decay rate for antiques needs a boost or they need to start them with lower durability.
Well, items are not flagged "for PvP" or "for PvM"......

Items are items and then it is players who decide whether to use them for PvP or for PvM.....

That pointed out, we all know that in PvM wacking with items can be non stop for hours upon hours.....

So, an item, any item, IMHO, should at least get a reasonable life also for PvM (non stop wacking for hours upon hours....). Now, if that would mean a longer life in PvP well, then sorry, but to "tailor" an items' life for PvP would mean making it totally useless in PvM (i.e. too short lived to make it even usable...).

If this would really be an issue, then the only solution would be, as I see it, to have items spawn for PvP or for PvM and the items flagged for PvP with a shorter life span would not be usable in PvM while the items for PvM with a longer lifespan would not be usable in PvP....

A headache ? Perhaps.... but if we do not want longer lifespan PvM items to be used in PvP and shorter lifespan PvP items to be used in PvM, I do not see any other possible way than to clearly separate PvP items from PvM items......

One has to consider that players often "custom" build their suit around a few "key" items.

Losing those "key" items due to breakage, means breaking up the entire suit and having to re make it from scratch. If this is done once a year or 2 then it is reasonable, if this needs be done every couple of weeks or even once a month it can become seriously annoying.......

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, items are not flagged "for PvP" or "for PvM"......

Items are items and then it is players who decide whether to use them for PvP or for PvM.....

That pointed out, we all know that in PvM wacking with items can be non stop for hours upon hours.....

So, an item, any item, IMHO, should at least get a reasonable life also for PvM (non stop wacking for hours upon hours....). Now, if that would mean a longer life in PvP well, then sorry, but to "tailor" an items' life for PvP would mean making it totally useless in PvM (i.e. too short lived to make it even usable...).

If this would really be an issue, then the only solution would be, as I see it, to have items spawn for PvP or for PvM and the items flagged for PvP with a shorter life span would not be usable in PvM while the items for PvM with a longer lifespan would not be usable in PvP....

A headache ? Perhaps.... but if we do not want longer lifespan PvM items to be used in PvP and shorter lifespan PvP items to be used in PvM, I do not see any other possible way than to clearly separate PvP items from PvM items......

One has to consider that players often "custom" build their suit around a few "key" items.

Losing those "key" items due to breakage, means breaking up the entire suit and having to re make it from scratch. If this is done once a year or 2 then it is reasonable, if this needs be done every couple of weeks or even once a month it can become seriously annoying.......
Replicas only have 150 durability and many still use them for pvm. they last for years. i dont think this was the intention tho for antique items, considering they are replacing ephemeral which lasted 10 hours (set rate) of combat. i think the devs do intend these to last longer than ephemeral, but currently they last for 300-400 hours of taking damage (not just in combat like before)

10hours ephemeral vrs 300 hours antique is a difference that isnt really even comparable.

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps its not an awful idea.... I'm not sure if the Dev's would have time to do it, Though for something like that they need to basically have the durability ticked when flagged in combat vs another player so the durability decays at say 5x or 10x the set rate that its at now while the player is flagged in combat. Which if they can code it up quick its not a bad idea at all. Just not sure if that's going to be doable real quick where the quick fix would be something they adjust that's already coded into the system.

But yes I understand people build around set pieces. That's the scary part in the PvP world its going to make PvP suits and even PvM suits just extremely godly. You'll just be able to build a Major or Legendary Antique suit. If your wanting it to last a year or two then clean items wont really matter at all. They need to break in order to make Clean items even worth getting... or else it will clean items really wont matter much and just people farming Antiques.

Which for continuous farming for global loot. They have to make these antique items break faster. They will flood too quickly. They still need to make clean items have a value that's worth spending the time to farm for them. If everyone just farms antiques and they flood into the worlds... no one will even try and use clean items knowing Antiques last so long their will be no point in using a totally Clean item.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The issue here, IMHO, is that new and returning players must receive the opportunity to gather good and exceptional loot even if they do not have uber suits worth hundreds of millions of gold to hunt top Boss game ....
They already do... You really don't need an uber suit to play, and I don't understand why everyone seems to think you do. You can do anything (pvm wise) in this game with a suit made of mediocre imbued pieces and/or loot dropped from level 1 of the upgraded dungeons, with the exception of soloing bosses/top tier monsters, which honestly is not something you were ever supposed to be able to do.

I'm all for the global loot because having good loot only in like 3-4 places make hunting anywhere else basically pointless, thus leaving 99% of the game empty, and I can even see there being an argument for an adjustment to the drops, but it needs to stay within reason.

People don't NEED uber gear. Uber gear should be a long term goal for new players, not something they feel they must have before they even start playing.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They already do... You really don't need an uber suit to play, and I don't understand why everyone seems to think you do. You can do anything (pvm wise) in this game with a suit made of mediocre imbued pieces and/or loot dropped from level 1 of the upgraded dungeons, with the exception of soloing bosses/top tier monsters, which honestly is not something you were ever supposed to be able to do.

I'm all for the global loot because having good loot only in like 3-4 places make hunting anywhere else basically pointless, thus leaving 99% of the game empty, and I can even see there being an argument for an adjustment to the drops, but it needs to stay within reason.

People don't NEED uber gear. Uber gear should be a long term goal for new players, not something they feel they must have before they even start playing.
To compete with other players who have suits like that. I understand that suits don't determine player skill, but if you're facing a guy wearing a suit with lots of mana inc, int bonuses, a crapload of MR, LRC, LMC, etc, a drawn-out fight will go to the other guy. He can just outlast you as you run out of mana, since he won't (I had such a fight many years ago, with the two of us deadlocked for at least 5 minutes, until my mana ran out. His MR was only a little higher than mine, which made all the difference.)

As far as the global loot, I like it. If I want moderately good items, I can now go anywhere, instead of specific dungeons. If I want to solo a boss/peerless for stuff, I will (not that I plan to do this. It takes too long - a solo Melisande I did a few days ago took me a half hour on my tamer), since they'll have the best loot (or volume of loot, at least)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To compete with other players who have suits like that. I understand that suits don't determine player skill, but if you're facing a guy wearing a suit with lots of mana inc, int bonuses, a crapload of MR, LRC, LMC, etc, a drawn-out fight will go to the other guy. He can just outlast you as you run out of mana, since he won't (I had such a fight many years ago, with the two of us deadlocked for at least 5 minutes, until my mana ran out. His MR was only a little higher than mine, which made all the difference.)

As far as the global loot, I like it. If I want moderately good items, I can now go anywhere, instead of specific dungeons. If I want to solo a boss/peerless for stuff, I will (not that I plan to do this. It takes too long - a solo Melisande I did a few days ago took me a half hour on my tamer), since they'll have the best loot (or volume of loot, at least)
Right, pvp is different, you DO need specialized gear to compete in pvp, not being a pvper I can only speculate how much you can make up for gear with skill.

Obviously you can't alter the loot system around the needs of pvpers, because most people (like or not) don't pvp.

I think that was the idea behind faction artifacts, helping pvpers skip over some of the item grinding, again, not being a pvper I really don't know how helpful faction arties are, but I have to imagine they are a help to newer peeps who wanna pvp. We shall see how VvV plays into that facet of it.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

mmorpgs of the style of UO are meant to take alot of time. Yes sometimes it comes down to one extra eater mod, or a couple extra regen points. thats why some gear is very sought after, and is the reason pvmers keep pvming. If everyone were meant to have top end gear, might as well sell it on NPCs.

PVM is UO is extremely easy. anything can be done, some bosses soloed in a simple imbued suit.

PVP is meant to be a challenge, no other mmorpg can you expect to play for only 10 hours or so and get a competitive character geared.

Keep in mind there is still cursed. Cursed greater arties / legendaries are a great option for a new player who wants top end stats right way. its easilly replaceable. Since shame loot will be global, it will be extremely easy to gear up a player in cursed armor. Compared to pre-dungeon revamps, mods are extremely easy to get now.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right, pvp is different, you DO need specialized gear to compete in pvp, not being a pvper I can only speculate how much you can make up for gear with skill.

Obviously you can't alter the loot system around the needs of pvpers, because most people (like or not) don't pvp.

I think that was the idea behind faction artifacts, helping pvpers skip over some of the item grinding, again, not being a pvper I really don't know how helpful faction arties are, but I have to imagine they are a help to newer peeps who wanna pvp. We shall see how VvV plays into that facet of it.
faction arties still make constructing a maxed out suit alot easier. you can do it with with normal gear but its alot harder / more expensive. that 10dci on a kasa, 3mr on an orny, 3fcr on crystalline. those little extra mods are huge bonuses.

overall, yes pvm does depend on the minority pvpers. because thats who buys most the high end gear and makes hunting for it worthwhile. I just dont see someone buying pieces to enable a maxed out stat suit for pvm when most those mods arent really needed. I have yet to see a pvm suit sell for anything more than a few hundred million, while some pvp suits have upwards of 5billion invested into them.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
faction arties still make constructing a maxed out suit alot easier. you can do it with with normal gear but its alot harder / more expensive. that 10dci on a kasa, 3mr on an orny, 3fcr on crystalline. those little extra mods are huge bonuses.

overall, yes pvm does depend on the minority pvpers. because thats who buys most the high end gear and makes hunting for it worthwhile. I just dont see someone buying pieces to enable a maxed out stat suit for pvm when most those mods arent really needed. I have yet to see a pvm suit sell for anything more than a few hundred million, while some pvp suits have upwards of 5billion invested into them.
Yup. My sampire uses some stam inc, some HP inc, and mana inc, plus some LRC if I end up dying. My slayer weaps (Radiant Scimitar for Champ Spawns, Bladed Staff for bosses & single monsters) have Mana Leech & Stam Leech. I will even pvp with those slayers if I have to, but my effectiveness is limited to 1v1 situations: I just dismount people, then spam Armor Ignore until they die. Or I do. It's actually worked pretty well (especially the AI spam, since I hit for 35 each time), though I do need a wider variety of weaps.

For my mages (PK & Tamer use the same suit, more or less. Jewelry is different on tamer since I've barely worked taming - 92 real after getting an Adv Char token about a decade ago), I have 32% SDI (Mana Phasing Orb & an Invasion Spellbook), 45% DCI (if I use Corgul's Sash, 44% otherwise) - the SDI & DCI is solely for the PK, while the rest of the suit gives me approximately 30 MR, max LMC/LRC, 150 int/177 mana, etc. I don't even want to know how much it would actually sell for.

Naxatilor Feluka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also it's really not about knowing how to attain clean legendaries right now, it's just about getting lucky.
This is why we have nice things.
Ender how can you actually say its about getting "lucky" when almost the entirety of clean legendaries have come from about 4 players? Dumbest thing I've ever seen you post, and that was no small feat.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is why we have nice things.
Ender how can you actually say its about getting "lucky" when almost the entirety of clean legendaries have come from about 4 players? Dumbest thing I've ever seen you post, and that was no small feat.
Are those 4 players just sitting in Shame all day or leaving a character, or several, in Shame with a loot script all day?

There is no trick, no secret method, it's the RNG and that's all there is to it.

Naxatilor Feluka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is about knowledge just like any aspect of this game. Knowing what to kill, knowing how to optimize your time items and templates. I average a legendary once a week at 1 hour a day using 1 char with no script. Of course you can just blame everything on scripts because that is easier is it not?

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is about knowledge just like any aspect of this game. Knowing what to kill, knowing how to optimize your time items and templates. I average a legendary once a week at 1 hour a day using 1 char with no script. Of course you can just blame everything on scripts because that is easier is it not?
Yes, I am sure you have averaged 52 clean legendary artifacts per year with a single hour per day invested.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well if everyone had an user suit inside six months... then would we be back at AOS but with suits...... interesting thought.

Naxatilor Feluka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I am sure you have averaged 52 clean legendary artifacts per year with a single hour per day invested.
1 The majority of legendaries are garbage
2 assuming I put 52 hours into ultima in a year, and that the entirety of that time was farming , yes easily 52 per year

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Methinks the farmers dont want change....

Laughs....''52 hours into ultima in a year'' ..ive talked to people that play 10-12 hours a day...thats not afk.. thats addiction....thats a lot of play/in front of screen time..

I dread to think what clean loot the scripting afk farmers pull in 24 hours...bound to be a few nice pieces every day...dont spoil it for them devs...dohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly I've gotten like 4 or 5 from the lizardmen, ogres, and trolls in wrong and I really only did it for maybe 2-3 weeks total and only as long as my luck statue bonus lasted or a little longer.

They were all garbage of course, (and one got stolen from my bag right after I got it) but not didn't seem that uncommon. Seemed like the key was just killing a lot of them quickly with good luck.

On the other hand I never got one from UEVs in a similar span.

Naxatilor Feluka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Methinks the farmers dont want change....

Laughs....''52 hours into ultima in a year'' ..ive talked to people that play 10-12 hours a day...thats not afk.. thats addiction....thats a lot of play/in front of screen time..

I dread to think what clean loot the scripting afk farmers pull in 24 hours...bound to be a few nice pieces every day...dont spoil it for them devs...dohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I don't mind change , I will learn the new ways and adapt and do just as well, maybe even play more, tbh I only use ultima as a backdrop for LOL queue times now

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1 The majority of legendaries are garbage
2 assuming I put 52 hours into ultima in a year, and that the entirety of that time was farming , yes easily 52 per year
I call BS... I kill Unbound EVs in 3 min or less with my Sampire and have 2000k + 15 yr luck statue + perfection (probably 500 luck on average) so well over 3k luck. I pull a clean legendary (aka -100 luck only) Every 2000 critters or so. I actually have a clicker counter sitting on my desk lol. I've pulled 5 or 6 so far which amounts to about 100 hrs farming per Legenday. It could just be sample size etc... put 3 min is about max for 1 account killing those....so unless you've got a better critter....

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I call BS... I kill Unbound EVs in 3 min or less with my Sampire and have 2000k + 15 yr luck statue + perfection (probably 500 luck on average) so well over 3k luck. I pull a clean legendary (aka -100 luck only) Every 2000 critters or so. I actually have a clicker counter sitting on my desk lol. I've pulled 5 or 6 so far which amounts to about 100 hrs farming per Legenday. It could just be sample size etc... put 3 min is about max for 1 account killing those....so unless you've got a better critter....
You just don't know the SECRET!