• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

First UO Newsletter!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
please drop the discussion of the wording thing, i asked a question, it was clarified, thats it. we all know broadsword doesnt have the luxury of 100 UO staff members with PR and all that fancy stuff, but we did get a free expansion. I'm grateful simply for that.

yes i did think this might have been a professional move to increase subs and move away from game time code payment, but i was wrong and it was quickly clarified. thats really all i can ask for.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Let's get back on track here, folks.

Personally I think the newsletter looks great... well-presented, informative, and interesting. I now feel a strange urge to go tame some raptors...

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow, that's an impressive gift. a free expansion for those who are activated, pretty sweet.

Is the release on Steam scheduled during August, September or October as well ?

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
"expanded stonecrafting" ... i hope these are the add-ons that allow us to customize our castles & keeps. i'd love to be able to paint my walls, delete doors or add doors.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"expanded stonecrafting" ... i hope these are the add-ons that allow us to customize our castles & keeps. i'd love to be able to paint my walls, delete doors or add doors.
Yeah.......Castles, i'm sure I heard something about castles and the new expansion......? :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah.......Castles, i'm sure I heard something about castles and the new expansion......? :)
As long as we DO NOT see 31x31 BORG CUBES. Allow us to move things around inside the walls and set our floors the way we want would be nice.

Reactions: Vor

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
And if one of my supervisors talked to people the way people talk to Mesanna I would kick their dumb ass out the door. With the way Smoot was going on she was totally right. You question people in public you get reprimanded in public.
its not acceptable for anyone to talk like that. Why would they be held to a different standard, supervisor or otherwise?

I don't know what you do but kicking someone's "dumb ass" isn't any better than public reprimand.

Besides he apologized. I have more respect for that than I do for someone unwilling to accept responsibility for their own actions.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hum, group please keep focused on the great news letter, the free gift and the sneak peek at the new website. Even if you disagree with Mesanna's post, appreciate that she took the time to answer so quickly. Nothing Good comes from attacking her response or each other

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wait so how much do we have to pay and when is it coming out? :devil:

Seriously though, I'm excited! For those of us who didn't sign up for the letter is the whole thing posted above or is there somewhere to look at it?

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Very happy camper. So glad I came back to UO. Was as surprised as Spock about the skill thing though. Was like... OMG Where am I going to fit 16 new skills? 16 MOAR SOULSTONES! Hehe. But thanks for clearing it up that it'll be masteries.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awesome that the expansion is free and I hope that this was the first in a string of public reveals. My only gripe is that uo.com has none of this on the current front page. I'd strongly suggest that the newsletter, at least in part, appear there in an effort to generate buzz beyond the current playerbase. Since this is good news, there is little reason to hide it.

Less/No News is not Good News when it comes to PR.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now, put rtb in that to drag some people in hook line and sinker.

Seelendolch

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Woohoo, free expansion! but that only leaves me a couple months to explore the current world, better get my skates on! :p

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Prattkeeping... Prattkeeping everywhere.
I will have to make use of my sabre.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Discussing Moderator Actions Does Not Contribute To The Conversation.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Excited for the new expansion. Just hoping there is a lot to explore in the new areas and some good loot! Give me the loot!

However I may be the only person on this thread that agrees with oreogl and felt that was kind of a harsh and condescending response from the producer. Smoot handled it like a champ but still a bit unsettling. I don't think he was trolling or anything.

One more thing, and as someone already mentioned, but why wasn't the newsletter posted on the front page of uo.com?? Figured they would try and use the new expansion to draw in more players so why aren't the new exciting details more accessible? I signed up for the newsletter after hearing about it and still haven't received an email.

Is there really any evidence of an upcoming expansion outside of a few old posts on uo.com, stratics threads or a newsletter that several like me didn't sign up for? I want some life back in this game broskis. Feel like this is an opportunity to bring in some new blood.

Happy it's free tho, so thanks for that devs!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No you are NOT the only one...I agree with Oreogl as well. Whether she likes it or not she is in the customer service industry. Whether smoot is offended or not isnt relevant either. She is posting as a representative of Broadsword....it wasnt appropriate...period.

I do think it was a wise business move to make the expansion free to existing accounts. First one I have seen in a while....good to see!

Last edited:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Are we supposed to be voting on whether we liked Messana's comment or not? Did I miss something?
Edit: *Sarcasm, in case you missed it there *

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Discussing Moderator Actions Does Not Contribute To The Conversation.
I"ve said less than has been said so far, and got a PM warning...just sayin. As for ToL..cool that is free....almost, but not quite makes up for the codes drama.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I realize that UO and Broadsword will benefit greatly from the free release of this new expansion. However discussing this among friends, we all can't help, but wonder if they could have monopolized on this new expansion just a tiny bit by encouraging players to buy an exclusive one year subscription fee or game time code that came with some free gift in addition to the expansion. Prior examples such as a shroud of shadows, shadow/crystal token set, or free mythic token, so on and so forth in order to make a little bit of money to pay for the development costs, future projects and gain a one year commit from the player base not unlike a cell phone contract. I know they will benefit regardless. I just want UO to benefit from its own success and continue to provide quality content for us all to enjoy.

MANSBETH

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WOW...sounds great and smart marketing on behalf of the creators!
This is the first free expansion is it not?
I'm excited!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I may event activate a few old accounts to get them upgraded

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sea based Champion Spawn?

Also.. I so want an Ankylosaurus mount!

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LMAO !!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that says. What part of yada yada did you not understand ????? but I usually add on douch bag, or dumbazz.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I know it's a free expansion and that's super great.
It's being released about the same time as the Anniversary and from what it reads like this is the 18th year "prezzie".
Any chance we can get a little something that says 18th Anniversary on it ingame thou? I'm re-building my collection and and i'd love a Key with 18th Anniversary on it, you know cos you always give a silver key to people when they turn 18 :D

ps, Castles?

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I know it's a free expansion and that's super great.
It's being released about the same time as the Anniversary and from what it reads like this is the 18th year "prezzie".
Any chance we can get a little something that says 18th Anniversary on it ingame thou? I'm re-building my collection and and i'd love a Key with 18th Anniversary on it, you know cos you always give a silver key to people when they turn 18 :D

ps, Castles?
I think the wording is key. It says "To help celebrate". Not "to celebrate". So I'm assuming it's only part of the celebrations. We'll likely get our normal bunch of pixel crack I'd expect :)

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Smoot what part of "If you have an active subscription" did you not understand? I am sorry this is confusing for you but let me try to clear this up. EVERYONE that has an active account, or re activates their account or even starts a new account during August, September and October will get the Time of Legends expansion. We are not leaving anyone out. If you have not opened your account by the end of October you will have to purchase the expansion at that time.

Hope this clears it up for you and anyone else.
Even I, Yes, I myself, have a hard time finding anything to quibble with here. ;) Good job team, I'll be looking forward to returning again.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we all can't help, but wonder if they could have monopolized on this new expansion just a tiny bit by encouraging players to buy an exclusive one year subscription fee or game time code that came with some free gift in addition to the expansion.
They could always have another sale at the Origin store to co inside with the launch of the expansion. The UO items all got pulled from the store during the last sale so it would maybe make up for that also.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Mesanna -

For those who don't get it free through subscribing, can you provide us what the expansion will cost? It might help those players who have inactive accounts decide whether it is worth subscribing an account for a month to get it free or holding off until later.

Also, will those who buy the expansion in the future get past expansions? What about those who get it free? If so, which ones are included.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you so much Mesanna and devs, this is wonderful! Have no idea how you folks had time to do this! Very much looking forward to the new lands and critters, I just have to hope they're not more monstrous, grinding hitpoint horrors.