• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Felucca only shard.

Who would be interested?

• Yes, this is only an expression of Interest for the Devs to see.

Votes: 35 92.1%
  • and Yes, not interested if there are any negative responses, this isn't for you.

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As we said before, we don't believe anyone is against PvP-ers having fun with their playstyle. So while such a shard would be absolutely not for us, we do hope it will materialise, as it seems great for all sides of the discussion. And precisely what you need. Good luck with your push!
But Tabby there are no more PvPer left in UO. Alls they want is to kill PvMers doing the spawn so they can take everything. Making them a shard of their own will take away all their sheep then they will come back to Prodo Shards and whine in gen chat because their new shard is dead and sucks.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pvpers need Pvmers and both need crafters. That's a known fact. Opening a non transferable shard would reset the economy for that shard and make each and every template valuable for years.
PKers need PvMers (sheep) true PvPers just need another person willing to pit their skills as a fighter against them to prove who is the better person and they can do that in NPC armor just like they did in the old days. Now it is all about the gear. Guess they should rename it to GvG

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol keep trying to convince people to play lake superior because 10 whole people logged on yesterday!!!! And why would I want to leave Atlantic for a new server that will have even less players .
You don't want to lose your customer base from killing PvMers and taking their PSs.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SP is to hard for the care bear Prodo shard PKers, sorry ment PvPers, LOL
Stop trolling.

I have already explained very clearly why Siege does not work for me.

The 1 character thing in itself, is extremely limiting.

Try and get some understanding into your head.

You seem very afraid of letting the PvPers chose their own shard and playstyle.

It would have zero impact on you or your playstyle, so again, you don't even need to be here.

The very fact you are suggests.... ?

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But Tabby there are no more PvPer left in UO. Alls they want is to kill PvMers doing the spawn so they can take everything. Making them a shard of their own will take away all their sheep then they will come back to Prodo Shards and whine in gen chat because their new shard is dead and sucks.

This is false.

You yourself play on a shard with a massive PvP base.

You are completely deluded, and it is this sense of delusion over the years, that has brought us where we are.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stop trolling.

I have already explained very clearly why Siege does not work for me.

The 1 character thing in itself, is extremely limiting.

Try and get some understanding into your head.

You seem very afraid of letting the PvPers chose their own shard and playstyle.

It would have zero impact on you or your playstyle, so again, you don't even need to be here.

The very fact you are suggests.... ?
We know it is to hard for care bear prodo shard PKers, but where are you going to find your sheep to kill on you dead shard.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Although I don't PvP and I have difficulty understanding the mind-set I would like to say something in @TB Cookie [W] 's defence. I know his guild and I consider some of them to be friends, I know that on the whole they are decent people and that when he says he protects PvM'ers at Spawns I know this to be true of his guild in general, he isn't the devil he just has some 'interesting' ideas!
Personally I have no objection to either the idea of a Fel-only-shard or an open world PvP 'toggle' (as long as that actually worked!) I just don't think the Devs will be working on either of these any time soon. Not enough Devs and too much of a backlog.
I think though some people would not want to 'PvP' on that kind of shard because they might find it too challenging with no easy prey, let's be honest and accept the fact that not everyone has honour or integrity.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although I don't PvP and I have difficulty understanding the mind-set I would like to say something in @TB Cookie [W] 's defence. I know his guild and I consider some of them to be friends, I know that on the whole they are decent people and that when he says he protects PvM'ers at Spawns I know this to be true of his guild in general, he isn't the devil he just has some 'interesting' ideas!
Personally I have no objection to either the idea of a Fel-only-shard or an open world PvP 'toggle' (as long as that actually worked!) I just don't think the Devs will be working on either of these any time soon. Not enough Devs and too much of a backlog.
I think though some people would not want to 'PvP' on that kind of shard because they might find it too challenging with no easy prey, let's be honest and accept the fact that not everyone has honour or integrity.
I consider you a friend as well, though I haven't worked out which character you are yet!

I'm Alea, Celestial, Moonstone to name my main characters in case you didn't know. :)
(I was one of the Wraiths, and I was Cookie of course - my character has had many name changes. :D ).

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
At the bank meet I'm Kethalia, I did know you were Alea but not the others. Funnily enough I had a character named Cookie years ago, she was a bard. I've had a lot of name changes too, what seems like a good idea when you create a character sometimes doesn't seem so great years later.... I think we have all suffered from character-name-regret at some point! :oops: My son has had some very weird character names, his latest being Mrs Aykeelyu...I know... :eek:

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the bank meet I'm Kethalia, I did know you were Alea but not the others. Funnily enough I had a character named Cookie years ago, she was a bard. I've had a lot of name changes too, what seems like a good idea when you create a character sometimes doesn't seem so great years later.... I think we have all suffered from character-name-regret at some point! :oops: My son has had some very weird character names, his latest being Mrs Aykeelyu...I know... :eek:

Ahhhhhh ! :)

I've seen Kethalia, but I don't join in the bank meets, I usually *wave* as I grab my arcane focus and town sdi bonus as I sprint in and out to slay the evil ones.

I remember a bard Cookie, I always kept an eye out on the competition.

Lol, I'll keep an eye out for him. :rolleyes:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stop trolling.
It's not trolling, see my reply in the other thread and go give your honest opinion. Lets be real here, there's no way in UO's green earth that an all felucca shard is going to be implemented, not while Siege is still in existence. Any chance of getting what you want is going to be had on Siege in the form of changes which need to be made for the good of the shard, not for the well being of the largest guild there.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is that why my last Atl fight was against a group of pvp'ers? Oh, wait. It was. We all had a blast and said as much in gen chat after the fight. The ONLY thing I complained about: Barracoon never zapped back to the island because he wasn't far enough away (I had tried to lure him back but he didn't cooperate.) Oh, and that they killed my tamer (I don't have a finished Sampire or gear on Atl. Never got around to doing either), but that was joking.

PKers need PvMers (sheep) true PvPers just need another person willing to pit their skills as a fighter against them to prove who is the better person and they can do that in NPC armor just like they did in the old days. Now it is all about the gear. Guess they should rename it to GvG
Gear that we get IN THE TRAMMEL RULESET. From people who afk farm with multiple clients all day...which, as was stated before, is something they wouldn't be able to do on a Fel-only ruleset prodo shard. Shadowguard: I can currently take 3 clients there. Do you think I'd be able to do that if Cookie's idea was (edit: wow, where did esd come from?) implemented and I moved there? I mean, it's POSSIBLE, but I would have to queue for the rooms quickly to avoid dying.

Like @TB Cookie [W] I've protected PvM'ers at spawns in the past. I've also killed them...but I don't make a habit of that. If I kill them, it's because they attacked first (more likely) or I just felt like it.

I've been Red so often, I've lost track of how many times it's happened. Originally I was deep Red, with 144 murders, most of them from spawns back during SE. Did I kill some pvm'ers back then? Of course I did. Being Red had its drawbacks, to be sure *cough* Yew Gate *cough* but it was necessary back then, because not everyone played Factions.

There's one major difference between those people and you: They never complained about being in Felucca. They CHOSE to play there. You do not play there, you do not know what goes on, but you act like you're an authority on it and the mindset of pvp'ers.

Last edited:

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I propose a solution for everybody. Take a time machine back to the late 90s to that moment when somebody on the development team said "hey guys.. what about separate areas for pve & pvp?"

Smack him in the back of the head before he opens his big mouth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maby we are going around this, the wrong way.
Instead of a fel only shard, maby its time to get a trammel only shard, without fel, and no xfer to and from.
I would have no issues with this.

I did also suggest this could be an option.

Of course I would not transfer there. :)

Edit - I would still find it unfair that Trammel already has all the 95% of the content, and Felucca misses so much, and we are forced to go to Trammel rule-set land masses - that is part of my issue.

Last edited:

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thread has been cleaned up. Please keep all comments on topic without any personal attacks or insults. All posts that do not follow will be removed and warnings will be issued. Thanks for your understanding

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thread has been cleaned up. Please keep all comments on topic without any personal attacks or insults. All posts that do not follow will be removed and warnings will be issued. Thanks for your understanding
I only lost 6 responses this time, I'll take that as an improvement. ;)

I firmly believe there would have been some mind numbing brilliance in those posts to be fair... :devil:

NN, I'm done on this topic for now. Points made. Take care all :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please PM me the deleted posts. I did not get to read them. :) Thanks

:postcount:

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only read about half the thread and I realize it's a bit dated.. I just wanted to say I'm all for making a thief playstyle viable again

Old UO was resource gathering vs our "new" uo being item gathering, yeah there were some items back then that were cool but it was almost all decorative not necessary for play. So a thief could be a viable play style because armor was just armor, everyone needed regs etc. You became an annoyance, and occasionally stole a house key, robbed a house etc.

However what does a thief do now? Steal artifacts from dungeons and maybe pick off an EM item here or there. It's more of scamming then thieving these days and while it is interesting and still requires dedication and skill, it feels wrong to me to scam. This class has been broken since insurance was put in and the game stopped being about resource gathering and more about insured item gathering. Anyway the point is the change in gameplay over the years has nerfed a playstyle into oblivion. A thief is a 'grief' character but it played a necessary role I think, besides adding excitement and anxiety to your hunt, he was able to keep people honest. Everyone was a target vs a thief. So how can a full fel facet make this playstyle come back?

I would be interested in a no LRC suit setup. A true classic shard, one that (sorry siege) is a real fel only old school server. In that regard.. maybe table walling your home and having a key is a good thing..assuming people understand that this is UO, fel and your **** will get taken or you will get murdered. But I am not a fan of house keys so this isn't something I am pushing. I am pushing a more classic feel, but with updated skills and abilities. Have you ever used a mysticism reg? I haven't... in fact I wasn't sure they were there until I remembered we still do have inscription. I'm sure someone has made a few scrolls.

I guess I feel that these days my character is a 'God' where it used to be a person in a world. I don't want to be a god, I want to be a person in a world where my actions have consequences. If I murder someone then let me get chased by some bounty hunters. If I steal let me get chased by people trying to get their mandrake root back. If I make armor and sell suits for 5k to local warriors then maybe I can make some cash and enjoy being a useful part of the world. Bring more personal interaction back. Bring back player skill. A sampire beating a boss for 200 a hit while never having to worry about healing is boring and breaking the game.

I guess I feel the game is stagnant and what made UO so awesome to me, and gave me that crack addiction was the idea that I part of a living breathing world full of possibility and excitement. Never knowing what this guy maybe up to and whether or not it was going to be bad for you. If the pks were camping your favorite hunting spot. If my house was still there and if my friends were on. There was less to do but way more to do..

Everytime I log in now it's more of you are missing these items, this item, this, and this, go grind this boss for 3 weeks and then we can see if anyone still plays to pvp with. Oh but you can only use a character that is OP and boring..If I wanted Diablo I would play that.. I want UO.

Just so we are aware, I really don't care and I really don't put much time into UO anymore. I just look at it from the "goldilocks" point of view and my 'just right' has come and passed. I'm dealing with the cold porridge but I don't know how much longer I want to.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Btw just to follow up here..

I have and do play free shards and I understand this playstyle exists there today. But I have a soft spot for necromancy, Bushido and some of the nicer user friendly aspects added to the gamer after Trammel housing. Bags of sending, special moves etc.

My idea is current UO skills, abilities etc put into the old world and older 'rules'.

There could be an issue of balance then, but I think it gives OSI an advantage vs let's say uoforever. Idk honestly at this stage of the game I don't see it helping much. But I can dream. Lol

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I just wish OSI had a felucca shard with insurance.

My situation in OSI is the following:
- Atl: is boring because of trammel, fel is dead there

- Siege: lack players and in my opinion wasnt design to the modern UO (spreadsheet UO). The constantly grind to keep up all the mods to build my gear isnt fun imo. But the funny thing is that I know, by talking to Siege players, that the shard was very active even after all the itemization brought by AoS...

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I have no objection to Fel only shard. But if you believe that Atl Fel is dead because of Tram, what do you think is going to happen with this shard? Do you think that all these people who are avoiding fel now will rush to transfer to Fel only shard?

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

- Siege: lack players and in my opinion wasnt design to the modern UO (spreadsheet UO). The constantly grind to keep up all the mods to build my gear isnt fun imo. But the funny thing is that I know, by talking to Siege players, that the shard was very active even after all the itemization brought by AoS...

Maybe pop over and visit us on Europa, we haven't given up on Felucca or PvP.

Last night we had 5 hours solid pvp around Yew gate (I even hate Yew Gate and prefer spawn/objectives based pvp), but we all had a blast.

Maybe around 50 oranges fighting in that time, so very good/large teams, very fluid movement.

God have put out a full team the last couple of days, and we have DiE, Pro W/TUK, good well organised teams having a good time.

Atlantic is the Trading Shard (and very cool for that), Europa is where sh*t goes down. :cool:

(I had 2 new guys trailing me around last night, wondering if they should come back and resubscribe, they seemed to be helping God by walling me up, so I PK'd them, but they both admired how busy and active it looked, I don't know if me PKing them helped their decision making process or not. :D )

Last edited:

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe they should add more character slots to Siege and acvtivate the transfers on for that shard

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enjoy many aspects of Siege, the community is unique. I started back long ago in a guild called CWS "Citizens of Wispwood Shire". I have had very interesting (positive) experiences on Siege. However, I really like my items, one of the things that always pulls me back to production is the numbers game I like to play when building suits. Having an item based game on a server where I can lose my items is disheartening. I like my pixels, unfortunately. The one character limit isn't a big deal, I have 27 soulstones on my main account (just logged in to check) though I do wish there were stat stones.

Now that the Siege portion is out of the way, I would enjoy seeing an idea like this tried out. A shard with PvP on all facets, a fresh start to the economy, no transfers on or off, no second house, need to give up your house on production to place one here. I could see a lot of cooperation needed, if enough people wanted to play here. I am by no means a very good PvPer, I enjoy cross healing, purging, cursing while the actual PvPers do their thing. I am a support player, not an alpha when it comes to PvP. I could see PvP guilds needing PvMers who want to feel a little bad ass by playing on a PvP flagged shard. I could see a need for crafters with a fresh economy. I could see guilds made up of a core team of PvPers with less than stellar PvPers added as support roles. I would certainly try this out.

I also see the other sides of the argument to try it, spreading players out more (biggest concern in my book), the value of having developer time dedicated to this. I get those things too. But honestly, lets try it out. Enough people have asked for it over the years, worse case its another empty shard on the list. Best case people who really enjoy risk vs reward and PvP have a home and the people who don't want their spawning interrupted on production will get raided less as a portion (perhaps a sizable portion) of those who used to raid them may focus elsewhere. Also, WoW got rid of or is getting rid of their PvP servers which is counter intuitive to this argument. Also, Pinco's idea to get better rewards if PvP flagged is pretty interesting as well. I think there are a lot of good ideas in this thread I hope it does not go unnoticed.

-Podo

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are only benefits to making a fel only shard, mainly to bring in a new player base, there are no negatives. It won't affect current players.

Learn Me

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There are only benefits to making a fel only shard, mainly to bring in a new player base, there are no negatives. It won't affect current players.
That's not true at all. If I was 14 again and had no responsibilities to start from scatch, sure. At the point where UO is now with the loot system, having an hour or two to play twice a week before the work season picks up again and that becomes more limited, in addition to a the limited desire to do any pvm anymore... a new fel only shard doesn't appeal to me at all. If it was dated back a few years to get rid of 830 skill point templates, 210stam archers, etc etc etc then maybe I could get into it. The idea of going to work spawns for weeks, then making crafters again, then doing whatever to get any other ridiculous items that are in this game now would be way too time consuming for myself and anyone I play with (considering they have kids to deal with now too).

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's not true at all. If I was 14 again and had no responsibilities to start from scatch, sure. At the point where UO is now with the loot system, having an hour or two to play twice a week before the work season picks up again and that becomes more limited, in addition to a the limited desire to do any pvm anymore... a new fel only shard doesn't appeal to me at all. If it was dated back a few years to get rid of 830 skill point templates, 210stam archers, etc etc etc then maybe I could get into it. The idea of going to work spawns for weeks, then making crafters again, then doing whatever to get any other ridiculous items that are in this game now would be way too time consuming for myself and anyone I play with (considering they have kids to deal with now too).
I'm a little confused, do you already play uo?
Then the shard may not be for you, it would be to attract a different player base.
You do not have to join a fel shard if a new fel shard opens.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why not , new income of fresh artifacts on Siege, to loot :D
With an answer like that it is obvious that SP is not your home shard. SP has fought very hard to keep the prodo shard corruption off the shard and the DEVs have listened to them so no you will never see Xfers to or from SP.

Learn Me

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm a little confused, do you already play uo?
Then the shard may not be for you, it would be to attract a different player base.
You do not have to join a fel shard if a new fel shard opens.
The stipulation placed was that every shard would now be 100% trammel ruleset with no open attacking in Fel. So yes, if a Fel only shard was introduced I would have to move there. One of the other requirements was that you couldn't transfer to or from that shard.

So yes, I'd have to start from scratch if I wanted Fel ruleset.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The stipulation placed was that every shard would now be 100% trammel ruleset with no open attacking in Fel. So yes, if a Fel only shard was introduced I would have to move there. One of the other requirements was that you couldn't transfer to or from that shard.

At this point stipulations wouldnt be much more than spitballing.

The race to the top would make it interesting. I don't have as much time to start over but at this point, even after downloading UO again, I've probably spent more time here than in game.

Not much to lose here, really.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm not sure that was one of the stipulations, we'll have to get the OP @TB Cookie [W] to clarify

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was not a stipulation.
There is another thread doing the rounds, suggesting this - and my response was, if players had a full Felucca shard ruleset, they may care a little less what happens on production shards - as the conflict between Trammel and Felucca rulesets may be a little less harsh if the 2 styles of players aren't all squeezed into the same shard. No-one would have to transfer, no-one would have to start again, although they could if they wanted to.

The main concept, was a non transferable, Feluccan ruleset with all landmasses, with current UO rules - it would be a middle way between Production and Siege/Mugen rulesets.

When I suggested it, I did not realise some Siege players may like such a ruleset, or that Siege could be tweaked to make it more inviting to more players.
I did not want to mess with Siege, I don't play it fully, I cannot speak for Siege players, or presume to know their minds. But I would welcome that if that were an outcome.
(Only if they did).

At this point stipulations wouldnt be much more than spitballing.
The race to the top would make it interesting. I don't have as much time to start over but at this point, even after downloading UO again, I've probably spent more time here than in game.
Not much to lose here, really.
I completely agree, this was really about a concept, not about fine tuning at this stage - as you say, it's all hypothetical, and would not be worth getting drawn into that type of debate at this point.

I'm not sure that was one of the stipulations, we'll have to get the OP @TB Cookie [W] to clarify
Correct, and sorted. :)

Last edited:

StarstrukK

Adventurer
This was not a stipulation.
There is another thread doing the rounds, suggesting this - and my response was, if players had a full Felucca shard ruleset, they may care a little less what happens on production shards - as the conflict between Trammel and Felucca rulesets may be a little less harsh if the 2 styles of players aren't all squeezed into the same shard. No-one would have to transfer, no-one would have to start again, although they could if they wanted to.

The main concept, was a non transferable, Feluccan ruleset with all landmasses, with current UO rules - it would be a middle way between Production and Siege/Mugen rulesets.

When I suggested it, I did not realise some Siege players may like such a ruleset, or that Siege could be tweaked to make it more inviting to more players.
I did not want to mess with Siege, I don't play it fully, I cannot speak for Siege players, or presume to know their minds. But I would welcome that if that were an outcome.
(Only if they did).

I completely agree, this was really about a concept, not about fine tuning at this stage - as you say, it's all hypothetical, and would not be worth getting drawn into that type of debate at this point.

Correct, and sorted. :)
uhm?

Developers, please give them everything they want - give them powerscrolls, remove PvP, make them safe, give them all free EM rewards - you have up to now anyway to be fair. Hence why we are in this mess.
you said this yourself your seriously dumb and should stop posting please.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
uhm?

That was more me being annoyed at how easy mode many players seem to want it right now, it was a direct response to the other thread.

You will notice how annoyed I sounded in the initial post. I mixed being annoyed, with a decent concept, sorry, couldn't be helped, I'm only human.

It was not a "stipulation" of the main concept - it was me hypothesizing the endless possibilities at how Trammies could ruin the game for themselves, without me having to care about being sucked in.

My posts are completely consistent with each other.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
uhm?

That was more sarcasm especially when he posted, "Give them all free EM rewards", or did you take that seriously too?

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Maybe pop over and visit us on Europa, we haven't given up on Felucca or PvP.

Last night we had 5 hours solid pvp around Yew gate (I even hate Yew Gate and prefer spawn/objectives based pvp), but we all had a blast.

Maybe around 50 oranges fighting in that time, so very good/large teams, very fluid movement.

God have put out a full team the last couple of days, and we have DiE, Pro W/TUK, good well organised teams having a good time.

Atlantic is the Trading Shard (and very cool for that), Europa is where sh*t goes down. :cool:

(I had 2 new guys trailing me around last night, wondering if they should come back and resubscribe, they seemed to be helping God by walling me up, so I PK'd them, but they both admired how busy and active it looked, I don't know if me PKing them helped their decision making process or not. :D )
thanks for this info!

unfortunately I have a complicated problem concerning wich shard to play to do pvp
See, I play from Brazil, so my ping isnt that good at all, normally I use battleping to reduce my ping and it's absolutely playable on east cost shards but the same doenst happen on Europa. Ive tried :( but my ping there is just too much =(

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks for this info!

unfortunately I have a complicated problem concerning wich shard to play to do pvp
See, I play from Brazil, so my ping isnt that good at all, normally I use battleping to reduce my ping and it's absolutely playable on east cost shards but the same doenst happen on Europa. Ive tried :( but my ping there is just too much =(

Ahh I understand.
One of our core guys plays from Brazil, really top guy.
He does have conn issues himself, sometimes he can get by, sometimes he can't.

What is ironic with him in Brazil, is he gets to see more live Premiership football games than I do in England, and he gets to see live results before I do!

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This "idea" consists largely of whining and insults, and asking for a shard that'd be deader than Siege. My post in the other thread along similar lines (the Ilshenar thread) contains the specifics, though I realize this can't compensate for.....Well, whatever it is that causes people to think this way.

Posts like these are highly negative in nature and do not help build a positive community here on Stratics.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This "idea" consists largely of whining and insults, and asking for a shard that'd be deader than Siege. My post in the other thread along similar lines (the Ilshenar thread) contains the specifics, though I realize this can't compensate for.....Well, whatever it is that causes people to think this way.
Posts like these are highly negative in nature and do not help build a positive community here on Stratics.
Let's deal with your main post as there is nothing useful here to discuss.
Only negative because some players see through the ******** and won't lie down for you.

Anonymous UOPlayer;

Most posts like this are predicated on an incorrect notion: That Fel and the Fel lifestyle attracts players. Therefore Ilshenar will thrive with such a change.

Not only does it attract them, it keeps them longer, as they are less likely to get bored.
People in an old people's home die fast from boredom.
People out and about facing the challenges, aspirations, highs and lows of the real world, get far more fulfilment from life.

If that premise were true, the following list of things also would be true.

Publish 16 never would have happened. Posts from the dev team at the time said that Publish happened because most people had left Felucca for Trammel and there was a need to balance out server loads for a greater degree. If Trammel hadn't been a success, most people never would've left, and Publish 16 never would have happened.

But it did happen.

If you give people a choice between having to work for a living or a free house, free ice cream, free chocolate, free fizzy drinks for the rest of their life, they'll take the latter.
They will end up fat, listless, lazy, no drive in life and die early, and they will whine and defend their right to free stuff on forums all day long with zero self awareness.
Of course they would take Trammel in droves, it was never an equal choice.
Most new landmasses and content in Trammel?
All new starters to start in Trammel?
I'm sure some people would prefer to start in Felucca - they are not even given a choice.
They are brainwashed before they are even aware.

Trammel never would have been created, because the discontent created by Fel never would have existed and thus there never would have been a need for it.

But it was. (Then see also above.)

Richard Garriott's Memorable Moment from UO would not have consisted of a realization, caused by an incident of one player harming another, that he had to think hard about the rules of the world he'd created.

But it was.
Link: Memorable Moment – Ultima Online

Starr Long would not have indicated that the creation of Trammel was necessary when he spoke at the UO anniversary party.

But he did. (There used to be a paraphrase up someplace of the talk he gave; others will remember it though not all will remember it.)

Siege and Mugen would be the most-populated shards in UO because people would like to play that way.

But they are not.

Siege/Mugan ruleset is not a pure Feluccan rulset - it is considered harsh by even Feluccan players, it is not strictly the original ruleset.
It is a very respectable ruleset - but was put in for the seriously hardcore players.
There are players who sit in the middle of extremely easy, and extremely hardcore.
UO never had only 1 character per account - for example.
Again, you are not using a fair comparison.

There never would have been a need to have the Siege housing gimmick as people would have played there without it, because they liked to play that way.

But there was.

The Fel Abyss spawns would be crowded with folks doing them. (The undead one in particular has a lot of cool content and good rewards.)
But they're not.

They are - we do them a lot. You wouldn't know I guess.

There wouldn't be posts on Stratics complaining that VvV was dead, because people would jump at the chance to PvP.

But there are those posts.

Give VvV the same loot tables as free and easy PvM - especially Shadowguard soloable by a tamer or Sampire for the last couple of years, and see what happens.
Antique equipment from VvV?
Again, you are speaking from zero knowledge, and using completely unrealistic comparisons.
Give us something to PvP over.

Games that came out post-UO that had more of a Fel type environment would be prospering, whereas games that came out post-UO that had more of a Tram type environment would be failing.

But that's not the case. Shadowbane is dead. Darkfall has around 3,400 likes on facebook;

Darkfall Online

Everquest has around 66,000;

EverQuest

UO has around 28,000.

Ultima Online

(Facebook likes aren't a perfect indicator of a game's popularity but it's a much better metric than individual posters.)

No likes for Shadowbane because it died.

I found a Facebook page for a free shard! Number or likes: around 3,800.

I found a Facebook page for another free shard, specifically dedicated to the Second Age era. Number of likes: around 1,700.

There wouldn't be very angry posts on Stratics calling for a Fel-only shard, because everyone would be playing in Fel to start with! But there are such posts.

Eve Online - I mentioned this in another post.
So you are only happy to provide failed examples - I can provide one more failed example - UO in Trammel period.

Felucca only shard.

Finally, Fel would be so popular on its own that threads like these wouldn't exist. Ilshenar would've been made Fel-only a long time ago, perhaps even at the time of its creation. It wasn't made so and it hasn't been made so since, and why? Because they knew they'd just be making a dead facet.

I could go on and on but that's enough for now. The upshot of all this is clear: A Fel rules Ilshenar would be a dead facet.

Now of course the poster could've just wanted Ilshenar to be Fel rules as a personal preference. I can't counter that save to say that in this instance, your personal preference would be bad policy for the game. I'd like to think good policy for the game trumps your wishes.

There was a time when most players would see posts like these and just let them pass by, but I'm glad that time is gone. In not responding to posts like these we run significant risks of letting intense opinion be mistaken for popular opinion.

It is popular opinion.
It's only intense to you, because it would mean giving up your free cookies and ice cream, and you cannot begin to comprehend life after that.

I don't expect to post in this thread again, however, because it'd be pointless.

I don't expect you to post again, because you have nothing useful to say.
But you will - the entire Trammel debate is only pushed by about 5 Stratics zealots onto the rest of us.
They have huge post-counts, they never stop trolling, and they never let fact or truth stop them.
They certainly do not know how to debate, or present a reasonable argument - at least you did try here, but it was easy to take down.

Last edited: