• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Event Moderators

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im surprised no one made a post saying wooooooooot im an EM !!! i mean if you're stratics name is mildly different than your uo characters, they'd never know who you are

S

sapphirediablo11

Okay... Wooooooooot I'm an EM!!! YEA!! ROCK ON!!! PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!
(well not really just wanted to say that :p) hehe

But there is no way to tell what shards will have the best until the EM's start showing up.. after the first 1 or 2 events I'd probly switch to the shard with the most events that are fun/successful!

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hopefully when EM events take place, there will be a message in the bottom left corner of the uo screen saying go to brit castle now!!! like when the shard is going down and u get the message to log out within 2 minutes

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hopefully when EM events take place, there will be a message in the bottom left corner of the uo screen saying go to brit castle now!!! like when the shard is going down and u get the message to log out within 2 minutes
there is / can be.

we had them on atlantic last time

S

sapphirediablo11

Nah i think there should be some sort of problem or puzzle that needs to be solved before anything, and if you can do that then you can learn of the location of the event :D

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The lag would be crippling. At least I hope they configure the town criers to spam there is an event in progress at least.

E

eccentricjules

The lag would be crippling. At least I hope they configure the town criers to spam there is an event in progress at least.
Why would that cause lag? It's just like getting random blackrock infection messages. It doesn't cause lag.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would that cause lag? It's just like getting random blackrock infection messages. It doesn't cause lag.

Not the messages. There is a reason they never did system messages on Atlantic. Having like 60-80+ people on screen at once makes the game unplayable for everyone as the lag is crippling then the client freezes. The client simply can't handle all that at once and it's not fun for anyone.

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i missed like 3 or 4 events on chessy because of there not being a message in the past, i was on uo at the time but had no idea one was going on

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity, how did people find out about them if there was no message?

D

Dragon Slave.

Well I got 96 new messages, and 24 spam. The only real message of importance, was that my credit card on file was declined from sideshowtoys for my Indiana Jones Doll. Lost my card over the summer, and had a new one sent to me, apparently they still have the old number, guess I should go fix that if I still want my $80 doll. Otherwise everything else was pretty much junk.

So in the rare event you lost my email addy, send me a pm, and I'll get it to you, so I can further my quest at finding a part time job that I would enjoy. Not that having a job was my motivation, I was willing to work for free, until it was posted on these forums otherwise. So I'll be waiting.... Ball is in your court now.

Wishful thinking...

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity, how did people find out about them if there was no message?
EM's left notifications in the throne room about 5 hours ahead of an event. Like a shield in the throne room "Event in 5 hours" and kept updating it at 3 hours to go, one hour to go, half hour to go etc. Until it began. So basically check throne room once every evening.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If events cannot handle the number of people attending the event, then steps should be taken so that everyone that wants to participate in the event get a chance participate in the event.

It should not be a situation like it was before where there were events where you had to know the right people to participate.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If events cannot handle the number of people attending the event, then steps should be taken so that everyone that wants to participate in the event get a chance participate in the event.

It should not be a situation like it was before where there were events where you had to know the right people to participate.
You never had to "know the right people" to participate. Anyone who watched for the event signal, which virtually every shard had one, could go to events.

The pre-announced event where the Moonglow rift formed brought out over 500 players on Atlantic shard. This is why on popular servers there can not be very much advanced noticed, otherwise the lag is crippling

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So in other words, everyone can participate so long as enough people don't know they can participate?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So in other words, everyone can participate so long as enough people don't know they can participate?
It was not difficult at all to participate. Usually the notice was put out 2 hours in advance on the most popular shards. So you just had to check around 7-8PM local time for the signal every day. Once you have an event, there was about a week until the next one.

It is just like timing artifact spawns in Doom.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You never had to "know the right people" to participate. Anyone who watched for the event signal, which virtually every shard had one, could go to events.

The pre-announced event where the Moonglow rift formed brought out over 500 players on Atlantic shard. This is why on popular servers there can not be very much advanced noticed, otherwise the lag is crippling
Actually, yeah you did. There are at least 3 specific times where the only notification of events was through ICQ 'because they didn't want anyone else to interfere'.

If you are going to have these kinds of events, then something has to be worked out so that everyone that WANTS to participate CAN participate. Be it through doing something instanced or running it 2, 3, 4 times. It should not be 'well, everyone can, we just don't want them too' type things.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are at least 3 specific times where the only notification of events was through ICQ 'because they didn't want anyone else to interfere'.
I would like to hear more details about this. It is the first time I have ever heard of an Event Moderator announcing an event through a mean other than in-game. Which shard and when did this happen?

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oceania used a system where they had a lantern in the castle and that meant there was no event on soon, when a shield was out it meant an event would take place within 24 hours (they would usually put the shield out the night before or the morning of the event and it'd take place around lunch time on a saturday). About 2 minutes before the event a global announcement would happen that it was starting... were a small shard so overcrowding didn't really happen.

F

Fink

Oceania..were a small shard so overcrowding didn't really happen.
True, true.. how many players do you think we ever had at once? 50 tops? Seemed like a manageable sized crowd, at least from a participant's viewpoint.

A

AustinRules

On the days of an event on our shard a shield would appear in the throne room. Word of the upcoming event would be posted on stratics by members of the community, our shard knows to check out stratics for updates, discuss tactics, etc. The event usually happened on the same day of the week and within the same couple hours. We rarely had a problem about knowing when an event was to happen. It brought our community together against a common foe and were well attended.

I think some are expecting too much from their EM. I don't think they will run 'independent' events. EM events will be in line(probably with all shards doing the same EM event) with the overall UO event. Such as UO will have their current invasion event and our EMs will lead a two hour battle to save Sherry the Mouse trapped in East Brit.

E

eccentricjules

On the days of an event on our shard a shield would appear in the throne room. Word of the upcoming event would be posted on stratics by members of the community, our shard knows to check out stratics for updates, discuss tactics, etc. The event usually happened on the same day of the week and within the same couple hours. We rarely had a problem about knowing when an event was to happen. It brought our community together against a common foe and were well attended.

I think some are expecting too much from their EM. I don't think they will run 'independent' events. EM events will be in line(probably with all shards doing the same EM event) with the overall UO event. Such as UO will have their current invasion event and our EMs will lead a two hour battle to save Sherry the Mouse trapped in East Brit.
Napa is really good about getting the word out. It's never a secret or about who knows who... if you FOLLOW events you know what to look for, but if you don't then I guess it's possible you wouldn't know there was an event... Napa would never get 500 people at one event, probably not even if they handed out free gameplay for a year.... we just flat out don't have the people. Sometimes events would start with 30 people in the throne room, sometimes more show up as the event is revealed. If we had some big bad awesome thing to kill we might get 150 people. I do remember one event we had to get up at like 4 AM for and about 15 people showed up.

Austin, I'm happy our shard is so small. Makes you feel so much more involved and the lagg isn't crippling!

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Napa is really good about getting the word out. It's never a secret or about who knows who... if you FOLLOW events you know what to look for, but if you don't then I guess it's possible you wouldn't know there was an event... Napa would never get 500 people at one event, probably not even if they handed out free gameplay for a year.... we just flat out don't have the people. Sometimes events would start with 30 people in the throne room, sometimes more show up as the event is revealed. If we had some big bad awesome thing to kill we might get 150 people. I do remember one event we had to get up at like 4 AM for and about 15 people showed up.

Austin, I'm happy our shard is so small. Makes you feel so much more involved and the lagg isn't crippling!
Yeah must be nice on smaller shards. In a sense I did feel sorry for the EM's on Atlantic, because they really DID try their best to do great events, but then you have the throne room filled with over a hundred people spamming and spamming and SPAMMING "give me sashes plz" "gib meh items!!!" "OMG OMG WHERES THE LOOT?!?"
The spam got so bad at times our EM's had to call in a GM to use the command to silence the whole room so he could play out the event storyline and explain what was going on.

Not to mention I had to deal with all these rude people standing on me so they could get "first dibs at loot"
Was so annoying, I am surprised I even managed to get a handful of sashes in the time the original EM program existed.

S

sapphirediablo11

If only EMs could black rock explode people :\ if only :(

C

Cal_Mythic

So everyone knows we are still waiting on a couple of EMs to send in their documentation, and still require final signatures in house before we can release the names. Sorry for the delay. As you know we are only a few miles from D.C. so I think the Red Tape has an amplified jurisdiction. :)

D

Dragon Slave.

So everyone knows we are still waiting on a couple of EMs to send in their documentation, and still require final signatures in house before we can release the names. Sorry for the delay. As you know we are only a few miles from D.C. so I think the Red Tape has an amplified jurisdiction. :)
If they didn't get it back to you by the very next day, they must not really be that interested. I'll happily fill out that required paperwork and fax it to you with in the next hour. Email me.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm all jittery with anticipation ahhhh!
*puts down the caffeine*
Maybe this will help... *Twitch*

S

sapphirediablo11

Aye i would have sent off the next day, although i live in Canada, and it takes 3-6 days for anything to really get to the states... and it is holiday season so add an extra few days :\ there also might be a person from Australia and that would make shipping take a few more days :| but i really really really really want to see the EMs... ooo ohh!!! i can't wait... plus i hope they fixxed the runes to brit so that they can be recalled to :|

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope the remaining documentations came in, but only EA themselves know. =]
Joanne said something about EM info in the other post so who knows...maybe this weeks FOF they will list the names if all goes well?

S

Shioni

Just like to comment on Cal's beautiful letter...

{{
About Event Moderators: there has been a lot of speculation on how we chose who we chose, why some were selected and others were passed over. I can tell you this: we read for content before we read names. There was no favoritism in any part of the team, and I can say there was a bit of common sense in selecting who went to which shards. We also selected a mixed team of experienced members, and not-so experienced members. We eliminated anyone who had legitimate marks on their accounts, or anyone who had “great intentions” but no event experience at all. In short we picked an initial team that would best serve the community, and whose applications seemed to have the community’s best interest in mind.

We will continue to grow, adjust, and evolve the EM program as we go. We have kept everyone’s applications on file, and have a backup list of Event Moderator contributors. Some EMs may not be able to fulfill their duties so we will be selecting from the initial batch for anyone who is not able to commit as they planned. Life happens.

}} http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=476

----------------------------

This bit thats says "We eliminated anyone who had legitimate marks on their accounts" Im not too sure what that means but Ive been playing the game almost 10 years.

This means I was a child when I started who is now and adult and as a child I did some stupid things. Is it really fair to hold people back because of things that happed years ago that we have already been punished for??

I'm not just saying this to defend my own reputation, but I'm sure its was a "convenient" way to "eliminate favoritism"

Im not so much disappointing that I didn't become an EM, Im just bitter that I wasnt told Id even have a chance just because of petty violations when I was 13 years old!

At this point I'm wishing for the best of the EM's that did get selected. You'll have the hardest job on earth, pleasing massive mobs of unruly virtual characters that will stop at nothing to rob you of both your sanity and self respect!!

God Speed, and Phat Lewt to US ALL!!!

PS - If anyone sees Cal in game and he has a snow pile in his bag... well you know what to do! >post it<

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We eliminated anyone who had legitimate marks on their accounts
Well, that rules me out. I once went into jail back in 1999 I guess, when me and a few pirate crew mates blocked the Vesper bridge (back then you had to push through people) and demanded 20 gold as a toll. It was roleplaying fun, but someone obviously reported me.
I think eliminating accounts with marks is a good idea. However, I regret nothing. :)

5% Luck

Remember that red you killed at the last champ spawn....

Yeaa...

Hes friends with an Em and the next event your going to have YOUR insurance turn offff

Its simply a bad idea!

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember that red you killed at the last champ spawn....

Yeaa...

Hes friends with an Em and the next event your going to have YOUR insurance turn offff

Its simply a bad idea!
In dutch we have a saying: Zoals de waard is, vertrouwd hij zijn gasten. Which translates to: The innkeeper trusts his guests like he would himself.

S

sapphirediablo11

Well, that rules me out. I once went into jail back in 1999 I guess, when me and a few pirate crew mates blocked the Vesper bridge (back then you had to push through people) and demanded 20 gold as a toll. It was roleplaying fun, but someone obviously reported me.
I think eliminating accounts with marks is a good idea. However, I regret nothing. :)

LOLOLOL i remeber being sent off to jail once... stole some items from it... got some soap, and all that fun stuff, then i was killed on my venture back out away :\ hrmmm

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are not a true UO player till you've been to jail at least once.
I've been there a few times over the years, not for anything bad, but because I paged GM's and they needed to take me somewhere private to chat.

I remember my first time though, which I did catch on Camera! :p
This was definately pre-AOS based on the style of clothing...I'd say 2002ish.

UO0131.jpg

S

Shioni

Yeah I ran into a newbie the other day who said he was from Atlantic transphering over to our shard. He kept asking me about the "History of this shard"

Well being a good sport I told him what I could while staying in character. anyway he asked me where the public moongate was and that i should remember his name because i might be seeing it more at future events???

If our new EMs are so newbish to not even know where the haven moongate is why the heck are they in charge of events when I know several other people that already run player events that this guy wont even hold a candle to.

(could be wrong about the whole thing but I'm 87% sure he was a new EM.. name Kasaven)
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=117000

Granted Mesanna did explain why they have chosses a mix of new and old players but I just wanted to say... *does a little dance, sings a little song*

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Anyway I hope the kid does alright but Im not about to toss my hands up in praise and support. Perhaps if the new EMs keep and open mind they will take the time to ask real questions. About the shards and their people. Not just blunt open ended "whats the meaning of life rabble" then they will find the job more rewarding