• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EC is a sad thing

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, its so awesome that other players can make things that gives advantages over other players who can't get it. :/

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Dermott of LS - I'm calling you out!

Everyone can get it.
Skin Packages
Have fun.
Sure, everyone can download it...I can download a WoW mod too. But neither one of them will work with UO:CC, which is the only UO there is and as such they are in the same gameworld as me and have advantages over me in the game through this.

O

Old Man of UO

Oh really? You found a way to make these mods work in UO:CC?
ANYONE can download the EC client and use any of the FREE mods. You are using half-truths to spread lies and somehow denigrate something good that the Modders have done for us. if YOU or anyone else chooses not to use the EC and these free mods, that is YOUR choice not the use this great client and has nothing to do with the CC.

If you don't have anything nice to say about the good work these people are doing, just walk away and TROLL somewhere else.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Sure, everyone can download it...I can download a WoW mod too. But neither one of them will work with UO:CC, which is the only UO there is and as such they are in the same gameworld as me and have advantages over me in the game through this.
Anyone can download and use the EC too. I don't see a problem. If you want to use the mods, you have to use the client they go to. I know for a fact that there are things the CC with UOA can do that the EC cannot. It's a trade off. Each client has its strengths and its weaknesses. Anyone is free to use either or both if they want. Therefore you're complaining about a non-issue.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

Not seeing Copper Enhanced in the downloads section of stratics. Must be talking about some 3rd party program.

Takes me back to the early days of UOA. How long did honest players not use it till they seen the words written in stone.
You and LC ought to buy a house together, I think you'd get along famously. There is no comparison between the mods available for the EC and what happened in the early years of UO.

The devs deliberately designed the EC so you could do this sort of thing. It's made to be moddable. You don't have to reverse engineer anything, or hack memory locations or the data stream.

This is perfectly legal, intended, and fully supported and endorsed by the dev team.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The EC is not an alternative to UO. It's the same game no matter what client you're using.

Bottom line is you just want to complain about something. You can download the EC and use any mod you want for it. But you're happier to sit and whine about a pretend problem.

We all get it, you hate the EC and think the mods for it give players an unfair advantage. Stop trolling a thread meant to thank someone for their hard work and move on.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Its an alternative to UO, it is not UO. The CC is what UO is. The EC is an abomination of another game that happens to connect to the same servers.
Now we're not having a real conversation.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

*shakes head*

*insert your favorite face/palm pic here*

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Its not something I think, it *DOES* give them an unfair advantage. It would be no different than if EA turned around and endorced a certain scripting program, then every EC user would complain that it gives CC users an advantage.
Well hey, at least it's a legal advantage you don't have to pay $15 for. =P

O

Old Man of UO

Re: EC is unfair!

LOL... THIS is a great way to clean up a way-word discussion! :lol:

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Re: EC is unfair!

The EC is crap.
Every now and again you surprise everyone by posting something that isn't a troll. This isn't one of those times...

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The EC is not an alternative to UO.
UO = UO:CC
Not UO = UO:EC

UO:EC is something entirely different. It is not the game we fell in love with. Its like having a girlfriend that goes and has Michael Jackson level surgery and bionic implants...just not good.

think the mods for it give players an unfair advantage.
Its not something I think, its something it is. There's no question that the advanced options of the mods give advantages only found in cheat tools in the real UO.

K

Kiminality

Its not something I think, its something it is. There's no question that the advanced options of the mods give advantages only found in cheat tools in the real UO.
And those advantages are more open to everyone than the advantages UOA gives over vanilla CC, since the EC's free.

I advise you against continuing this line of comparing EC users to cheaters.
As for everyone else, irresistible as it may be, let's play nice.

B

Beer_Cayse

And those advantages are more open to everyone than the advantages UOA gives over vanilla CC, since the EC's free. ...
This ... for sure. EC graphics and movement make me ill, macros are (IMO) a tad more difficult to setup than they really should be. Mainly movement and graphics are my reasons for not using it.

O

Old Man of UO

It sounds like some people are really unhappy that their favorite program won't work in the Enhanced Client, and are doing everything they can to get EA to drop it. Their one and only claim is the "graphics suxxor" and can't articulate any other useful argument. Well, the arbitrary "UO is CC" isn't an argument so much as a pout.

The truth is, the CC is hindering development, and will continue to hold back any other client. It's buggy and old and graphics can't be improved because of it's age. New Users just aren't going to play UO and use the old CC, because it doesn't measure up to modern game engines.

K

Kiminality

This ... for sure. EC graphics and movement make me ill, macros are (IMO) a tad more difficult to setup than they really should be. Mainly movement and graphics are my reasons for not using it.
If/when you next try it, try turning the frame rate down to 10.
You can get it to 20 in the options, but you need to edit the config file manually to get 10. That would make the movement more closely resemble the CC movement.
Not just aesthetically, the brain likely perceives the movement less literally if it's "broken up" by a low frame rate, which will probably serve to counter or reduce motion sickness (which comes inconsistencies in the perception of motion. So, if you're visually perceiving the motion, but your inner ear isn't then you got the ingredients right there).

B

Beer_Cayse

The truth is, the CC is hindering development, and will continue to hold back any other client. It's buggy and old and graphics can't be improved because of it's age. New Users just aren't going to play UO and use the old CC, because it doesn't measure up to modern game engines.
I beta-tested EC. Several persons in the Beta Forums mentioned the lousy graphics and even showed how just slight tweaks could improve them - without needing the CC graphics.

They were not listened to, nor did anyone even implement some of the stuff in the long-lost thread on graphics that Saphireena had going. EA either did not or would not even try things out.

I have a 4GB, dual-core system and the CC uses less resources than EC making it the more economical client for the lower end systems. When the EC can be easily handled by those machines I bet the EC population will grow.

Kimi - I will try your suggestion. I have no problem trying anything that will allow me to really enjoy the client. Macros can be re-learned.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've mentioned graphics as my primary drawback, as well. This is simply because the CC graphics are sharper and more familiar. Pretty much comes down to preference.

Nevertheless, I use the EC most of the time because it runs better on my laptop. Installing the Lucis Interface also really helped the transition. If I find the funds to upgrade my computer, it will be a tough choice: graphics or Lucis. Hmmm...

K

Kiminality

Kimi - I will try your suggestion. I have no problem trying anything that will allow me to really enjoy the client. Macros can be re-learned.
Brave man.
It's tough to get people to test something that, if it doesn't work, would make them ill :D

Requiem_baja

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My big problem with the EC (beside not yet figured out to make my char say "all stop, all follow me, wait 250ms and remount my war horse) is that when I run it looks like hes running on a treadmill...sorta like a old move where you can tell the background is moving but the actual people in the car are just sitting still...what it reminds me of.

K

Kiminality

Stuck record here, but... Try changing the framerate, too.
It could be the smooth movement which is giving the sense of "gliding"

Requiem_baja

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll give it a try but I really dont think thats it. Never got that feel with Diablo 2 or titans quest or any other games that have a similar perspective to UO. Now... any idea how to make that mount macro im after :)

K

Kiminality

To my knowledge, it can't be done.
But, that doesn't mean it really can't, I just don't know how ;)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Now... any idea how to make that mount macro im after :)
To my knowledge, it can't be done.
But, that doesn't mean it really can't, I just don't know how ;)
I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I posted a pet ball macro example to this thread. It can also be used to create a mount macro, you just target your mount instead of a pet ball when getting your object id. Right now it's the last post in the thread.

L

longshanks

i just started using the ec, first on the dexxer and now on my mage. all i can say is woah. the functionality of this client far surpasses that of the cc. than yesterday i downloaded the lucitus user interface and it took it to a whole other level. especially the mobile bar. gone are the days of hitting control shift to try to pull an invaders bar. now they pop right up and you can pull each in a gentlmanly fashion. the new target system works fine as well as you automatically let loose on your oppostion.

it just feels so much better, once you get acclimated to it.

O

Old Man of UO

I really like the Mobile health bars in the Lucis UI.

The targeting systems works okay, but really needs some refinement - it's much better than the generic CC client, not as good as UOA yet. Sometimes the "Nearest" target isn't the nearest, and a couple other refinements as others have posted would be nice.

O

Old Man of UO

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I posted a pet ball macro example to this thread. It can also be used to create a mount macro, you just target your mount instead of a pet ball when getting your object id. Right now it's the last post in the thread.
There is a # at the upper right of each post. If you copy that link, it takes you directly to a specific post, such as the one you referred to.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There is a # at the upper right of each post. If you copy that link, it takes you directly to a specific post, such as the one you referred to.
A cool, I didn't realize that. Learn something every day. Thanks.

The targeting systems works okay, but really needs some refinement - it's much better than the generic CC client, not as good as UOA yet. Sometimes the "Nearest" target isn't the nearest, and a couple other refinements as others have posted would be nice.
There are a couple of huge issues that I would like to see dealt with:

1. When a current target goes out of range or disappears in some way it should "grey out", not be deleted as the current target.

2. When you attempt to target something that is out of range you should get a message that the target is not valid, and a cursor. You shouldn't lose the action that you took.

L

longshanks

A cool, I didn't realize that. Learn something every day. Thanks.

There are a couple of huge issues that I would like to see dealt with:

1. When a current target goes out of range or disappears in some way it should "grey out", not be deleted as the current target.

2. When you attempt to target something that is out of range you should get a message that the target is not valid, and a cursor. You shouldn't lose the action that you took.

For no. 1.

using the lucifus interface i pulled the bar on the mobile drop down and that bar greyed out when i moved out of range.

For no. 2,

don't you lose the spell in the classic client as well? just asking for clarification.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
For no. 1.

using the lucifus interface i pulled the bar on the mobile drop down and that bar greyed out when i moved out of range.
Yes I do that as well, but a lot of my spells are on current target and I have to click on the bar to reacquire the target when it becomes visible again or moves back into range. It isn't a big deal, but when you are pvp'ing sometimes a split second can be the difference between success and phailure...

For no. 2,

don't you lose the spell in the classic client as well? just asking for clarification.
It's been a while but I believe there is a range check in the CC so that you don't lose the spell. But I could be wrong about that. Or perhaps that is a feature of UOA.

Requiem_baja

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
range checks a UOA feature but it never worked quite right for me anyway. I dont like the new targeting system where you autocast spells. In pvp battles you often have to change targets fast or hold your spell to sync a dump...that makes it hard.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
range checks a UOA feature but it never worked quite right for me anyway. I dont like the new targeting system where you autocast spells. In pvp battles you often have to change targets fast or hold your spell to sync a dump...that makes it hard.
I don't have much of a problem with either of those things, but I'm not a great mage. I'm much better than I used to be, but I'd still say I'm a below average pvp mage.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Catskills. I've had some help from some pretty good mage but what I need mostly right now is practice and experience. I just learned something pretty fundamental and it has changed the way I play as a mage. Now I need to practice and get better at it. You'd probably laugh if I told you what it was...

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The game I once loved died a very long time ago, the only thing that convinced me to give it a second chance after all those years was KR, when they scrapped that was it for me.

The people in this game who want to hold onto CC forever are the ones who are going to end up dragging the game down and preventing it from ever moving forward.

If I were a completely new mmorpg gamer being honest it would be hard to even know UO existed, but assuming that I did it would be harder still to find a reason to play it when compared to the AAA games that do everything UO does much better.

I was once told when trammel was introduced that I had to accept the evolution of the game and move on with it, I didn't agree with it but it happened regardless, I think CC fans are in the same boat now and that UO needs one client.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO needs one client. And the classic client is it.
Sure thing as long as the devs love the idea of never getting beyond the point they are now, by all means stick to the CC if you never want the game to be competitive again.

K

K_Sarai

It's a hard thing to adjust to... to have to completely change your play style from all the previous years to something else entirely, and it's the same game.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It's a hard thing to adjust to... to have to completely change your play style from all the previous years to something else entirely, and it's the same game.
You are right about that, but if you stick with it, it's worth the week or two of annoyance (actually it took me a good three months to become really comfortable with the EC, but I'm a slow learner...). :) But I know without a doubt that I am a better player now at least in part due to the EC.

K

K_Sarai

When I play on it, it feels like a large chunk of my pvp and pvm ability has been completely stripped. The "fluid" feeling is gone, if you know what I mean. And it makes one wonder "what does this appear like to the other 2d users?"

Perhaps it merely "appears" that way but for certain it definitely "feels" that way. Hard to explain, so I apologize if that makes little to no sense, lol