• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Eagle/Phoenix

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
Not many tamers might put 30 stam regen on a pheonix now, but that is all gonna change if they go ahead with the proposed fix. The only logical solution to counter the nerf is to put 30 stam regen on it. That is what I would do. What exactly is going to stop a tamer from adding 30 stam regen to their phoenix?

Maybe a pvm tamer might not want 30 stam regen, but it is almost guaranteed a pvp tamer is going to use it for their phoenix.
When you get me the theory crafting on how much stamina 30 SR actually gives per time period, then we can see if it'll "break" anything. Until then, its moot to keep saying "30 SR!"

Then we can compare the regen given vs the amount drained per point of damage and have real facts to discuss.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
When you get me the theory crafting on how much stamina 30 SR actually gives per time period, then we can see if it'll "break" anything. Until then, its moot to keep saying "30 SR!"
with 30 stam regen, you gain 30 stam every 10 seconds

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great logic there, buddy! :thumbup:

And what does my char's name have to do with you dodging fights? Please do elaborate. Or not.
I fight everyone when I see them in game 1v1 and have a winning record over the few people that managed a kill on me. Same applies with group fights, so it doesn't really matter you you are it was just a question of how bad you are- which is why ya don't want to say your chars name. All good though, continue the troll. lol.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
It is 0.1 stamina per second per point of stamina regen. So it is actually 0.1x 30= 3 stamina per second. So it would be 30 stamina in 10 seconds
This is assuming that pets follow the same rules for players - and in a lot of cases they don't. They don't even have standard rules for creatues as some tames have a higher innate mana regen. This may be the case for stamina as well. It'd need to be tested.

Stamina per second with 30 SR, find out how much stamina is lost per point of damage, and then calculate whether or not 30 SR would negate the loss of stamina per damage taken. There are other factors as well, like what % of speed is dropped per point of stamina lost etc.

Really hard to prove your concern without testing and theory crafting. Although based on the devs making the decision they did - I imagine they did that testing internally and came to the conclusion that loss of stamina reducing movement speed was more than sufficient.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You folks also realize there are other ways to drop stamina... like stamina leech, stamina drain, and mace masteries? Like I said try to adapt instead of trying to make everyone adapt to you. Wow could I go into a rant about the parody to the current state of the world.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You folks also realize there are other ways to drop stamina... like stamina leech, stamina drain, and mace masteries? Like I said try to adapt instead of trying to make everyone adapt to you. Wow could I go into a rant about the parody to the current state of the world.
Leech doesn't take stamina, and mace mastery has no abilities that lowers stamina, only swing speed.

I do agree people SHOULD adapt, and I think the taming upgrades give tamers a big leg up in being competitive in pvp, but there should be reasonable balance. You can't add just anything and cry "adapt!" when something is grossly overpowered. Sometimes things need to be toned down.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Leech doesn't take stamina, and mace mastery has no abilities that lowers stamina, only swing speed.

I do agree people SHOULD adapt, and I think the taming upgrades give tamers a big leg up in being competitive in pvp, but there should be reasonable balance. You can't add just anything and cry "adapt!" when something is grossly overpowered. Sometimes things need to be toned down.
Your correct on leech sorry. I do believe the mace drops stamina as well (perhaps inherent? ). As I mentioned earlier I thought the current proposed nerf was not only acceptable but needed. Do you feel it needs more of a nerf than what's proposed?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your correct on leech sorry. I do believe the mace drops stamina as well (perhaps inherent? ). As I mentioned earlier I thought the current proposed nerf was not only acceptable but needed. Do you feel it needs more of a nerf than what's proposed?
If the proposed nerf doesn't fix the problem, yeah. Yes, maces do inherent stamina damage, but it's not a major increase to regular stamina loss, and with 30 stamina regen, it's impact is even further limited. I'm not sure on the numbers with stamina drain, but it's certainly not a consistent means of managing the stamina of something. Pierce from fencing mastery actually does lower stam, so does crushing blow on slow weapons, but I feel like being prepared via these methods just to hopefully slow a phoenix down is a pretty strong power limiter simply to deal with one tactic.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman

Crushing Blow removes 10 pts of stamina. Which is probably what Fidgester was thinking about. Phoenix are not grossly overpowered, they can be killed and despite what people have claimed they can also be out ran. It's not like they're zooming up to people and one-shotting them. If you're not adjusting to handling them with available counters, then that doesn't mean they're over powered. There is a system of checks and balances in place.

Also, tamers getting a big leg up means what? The template, played by anyone can actually kind of be competitive in PvP?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crushing Blow removes 10 pts of stamina. Which is probably what Fidgester was thinking about. Phoenix are not grossly overpowered, they can be killed and despite what people have claimed they can also be out ran. It's not like they're zooming up to people and one-shotting them. If you're not adjusting to handling them with available counters, then that doesn't mean they're over powered. There is a system of checks and balances in place.

Also, tamers getting a big leg up means what? The template, played by anyone can actually kind of be competitive in PvP?
Crushing blow only does stamina damage on 3+ second swing speed weapons, ones that are useless for pvp, but, yes, I did mention it in a previous post. I don't think anyone is claiming they are running up to people and 1 shotting them, or saying they cannot be killed, or outran on horseback. The "available counters" are very weak for any other purpose than slowing down phoenixes, I don;t think it's reasonable for people to drop their own power a significant level

As for "there is a system for checks and balances in place", thats true, and the system is dev oversight, as alerted by players. The game is not so well designed that it can prevent any imbalance that could potentially occur any more than the devs can foresee every imbalance in things they introduce. Sometimes things are too powerful, and they get adjusted. It's just a natural part of the development process.

By "tamers getting a big leg up" I mean compared to what they were before which was a group only or niche solo is now a much more functional and viable choice in pvp, and it still would be even if they slowed down phoenixes. Of course the vast majority (at least) of the people in this thread demanding that pvpers "adapt" don't pvp, and probably haven't even tamed a phoenix, and would be all but completely unaffected if devs even went so far as to simply delete the pet (which I do NOT advocate, just making a point) so... I doubt any of them care if pvpers are more functional with pets.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The template, played by anyone can actually kind of be competitive in PvP?
Kind of competitive? If you wanna know what the most powerful templates are in pvp, just watch yew gate for a couple days. You'll notice right now, its fully of tamers.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The other element of the phoenix, that really is all pets but the phoenix takes the most advantage of it, is the dismount ability.

If you are on foot with a nightmare, and it dismounts a player, you are now on mount timer. if you are mounted (like on an ethy) and your pet dismounts someone, you do not get dismounted. So Basically... you are able to run around dismounting people while never dismounting yourself. How is that not being addressed thus far?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pvm wise I would have no objection to the removal of dismount from the pet entirely. Honestly I'd encourage it since it's kinda worthless in pvm thus a waste of a proc/mana drain

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The other element of the phoenix, that really is all pets but the phoenix takes the most advantage of it, is the dismount ability.

If you are on foot with a nightmare, and it dismounts a player, you are now on mount timer. if you are mounted (like on an ethy) and your pet dismounts someone, you do not get dismounted. So Basically... you are able to run around dismounting people while never dismounting yourself. How is that not being addressed thus far?
Is this a high probability ie what is the pet dismount frequency?

Course if ya kill the pet owner the pet will probably stop and if you kill the pet it, it surely will.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pvm wise I would have no objection to the removal of dismount from the pet entirely. Honestly I'd encourage it since it's kinda worthless in pvm thus a waste of a proc/mana drain
This is probably the easiest way to deal with this. The effect on pvm would be zero, and super speed birds would still have pvp value.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Course if ya kill the pet owner the pet will probably stop and if you kill the pet it, it surely will.
High enough if the pets only melee ability is Dismount. Doesn't matter, this should not be a feature. I really doubt it was ever intended to have a way to allow to dismount while maintaining mount yourself. Why else would dismount timers exist?

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

This is very scenario based. I was dismounted 3 times in under a minute. (Bit me 8 times - dismounted 3 of the 8)
The only thing that saved me was placement (between houses and using walls). I ultimately couldn't get away... tamer was a gargoyle mage, flying and just cast weaken on me as the Phoenix took me out... you can get away mounted. You cannot get away dismounted.

Last night I had 4 Phoenix's from the same guild on me... I didn't get half a screen...

If you can kill the owner of a Phoenix and it's agro'ed on you - the Phoenix stays on you... after the death of the owner.

All the people who say adapt- either they don't pvp at all, or they have no real pvp time dealing with the topic at hand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is 0.1 stamina per second per point of stamina regen. So it is actually 0.1x 30= 3 stamina per second. So it would be 30 stamina in 10 seconds
Focus skill adds stamina regen as well, I don't remember how much you get though, I want to say it's ~20 at 100.0, may be incorrect with the exact numbers, but it does* in fact increase stamina regeneration.

I also haven't come across any pet that doesn't have Focus since this revamp went live.

I think the changes mentioned in this thread that make the most sense without screwing anyone over.

Cap all tamed pets at 150/150 Dex/stamina respectively.
Dismount should not have a chance to go off unless the controlling tamer is already on foot.

or maybe Dismount should be replaced on all new and existing pets with Double Strike*, which doesn't seem to be on the list of special abilities...
*it could just be the pets I've been leveling though, because some other npcs have this ability.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Focus skill adds stamina regen as well, I don't remember how much you get though, I want to say it's ~20 at 100.0, may be incorrect with the exact numbers, but it doesn't in fact increase stamina regeneration.

I also haven't come across any pet that doesn't have Focus since this revamp went live.

I think the changes mentioned in this thread that make the most sense without screwing anyone over.

Dismount should not have a chance to go off unless the controlling tamer is already on foot.

or maybe Dismount should be replaced on all new and existing pets with Double Strike*, which doesn't seem to be on the list of special abilities...
*it could just be the pets I've been leveling though, because some other npcs have this ability.
I disagree with the dex/stam nerf. It losing stamina when struck (as proposed in meet and greet) and the removal of dismount would be more than enough

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That honestly sounds like a win for pvmers.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That honestly sounds like a win for pvmers.
Right, it is, assuming NPC/Pet specials are fixed by that I mean, things like:

Crushing blow gaining 0% bonus damage.
Double strike seems to have a 100% chance to miss with the 2nd attack.
Armor Ignore goes off but does no damage sometimes.
Bleed hits the target when the user misses with the initial attack... just about every special has problems like this when pets or npcs perform them.

Double strike would be a very viable or even the best option on certain pets.
Armor Ignore is currently the best option for most pets though.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Focus skill adds stamina regen as well, I don't remember how much you get though, I want to say it's ~20 at 100.0, may be incorrect with the exact numbers, but it does* in fact increase stamina regeneration.

Some good points. So it seems the Phoenix can actually regenerate more than 30 stamina every 10 seconds. I can see some people scrolling their Phoenix to 120 Focus. This is why I'm doubting the effectiveness of the proposed fix by the devs when their plan depends on the Phoenix stamina loss. You can even put Chiv on it and it would cast Divine Fury, instantly replenishing its stamina.

Also agree about the dismount. Very important in my opinion, but this point seems to have been ignored by the devs. Pets should not be able to dismount if the owner is mounted.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
found the formula.

Focus – Ultima Online

Every 10 points in Focus gives you 1 stamina regen.
So 120 Focus=12 stam regen
120 Focus + 30 Stam regen = 42 stam regen total.

The phoenix is going to be difficult to slow down when it regenerates 42 points of stamina every 10 seconds.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
found the formula.

Focus – Ultima Online

Every 10 points in Focus gives you 1 stamina regen.
So 120 Focus=12 stam regen
120 Focus + 30 Stam regen = 42 stam regen total.

The phoenix is going to be difficult to slow down when it regenerates 42 points of stamina every 10 seconds.
Yea, most phoenixes would regen 40 stam/sec because 120 focus isn't worth the scroll usage for the stam/mana regen, especially when dismount & magery are the only things the phoenix would spend mana on.

It would be difficult to slow down even without stamina regen, because of the difference in Hp/Stamina

an NPC with 500 HP doesn't even lose stamina unless it's hit very hard (~40+ damage) or it's hit with something that specifically does stamina damage like Macing or Crushing blow or the obvious bird slayer talisman (Lol...) but hey, If you're playing a mage... you're absolutely screwed unless you just hang out in places you could easily teleport through obstructions, so the pet is unable to follow...

of course, most people wouldn't be into going through all that trouble and they'd just quit pvping. (like so many already have...)

NinjaSampire

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I do agree pets should not be able to dismount if the owner is mounted, with that; gargs shouldnt be able to fly during that time either.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
MR has diminishing returns....

Of course you don't get 30 mana every 10 seconds
Hehe, That sounds like a lot of mana regen but you can actually get around 3.6 mana/sec with 30 MR 120 med/focus which would give you ~36 mana every 10 seconds. (passively)

Most every pet would have at least ~3.2 mana regen per second, due to 100 med & focus + the 30 MR from the pet imbuing process.
Mana is only a problem on pets because they have no LMC. :D

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman

Where I can agree, and I agree dismount is useless in PVM, if you're mounting with a phoenix you're either getting a 3 slot (which is pretty weak to begin with) and taming it up to a 4 slot where it isn't anywhere near as powerful as a possible 5 slot. The tamer would need to make choices between HP or Str - as these will be relatively low, and when trained take up the majority of the pets points. You might be able to do something like boost str, HP and Sta regen. You definitely wouldn't be able to boost HP, Str, HPR, SR, MR, and add skills. Phoenix do not come naturally with dismount.

Where it is possible to get a 3 slot with high str, the majority of them I've tamed (about 7 - thats not including the ones I killed to cycle past) have had sub 600 str AND low HP (350ish).

Obviously doesn't apply to gargoyles - but since returning, I've not seen a lot of those around??

I do agree though - dismount should only be used on another player when said player is dismounted.

Hehe, That sounds like a lot of mana regen but you can actually get around 3.6 mana/sec with 30 MR 120 med/focus which would give you ~36 mana every 10 seconds. (passively)

Most every pet would have at least ~3.2 mana regen per second, due to 100 med & focus + the 30 MR from the pet imbuing process.
Mana is only a problem on pets because they have no LMC. :D
That and I'm pretty sure their skills cost more to use. Whirlwind on a player is max 15 mana, on my lesser hiryu, who loves to spam it against 1 opponent, its like 40 mana. lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The tamer would need to make choices between HP or Str - as these will be relatively low, and when trained take up the majority of the pets points. You might be able to do something like boost str, HP and Sta regen. You definitely wouldn't be able to boost HP, Str, HPR, SR, MR, and add skills. Phoenix do not come naturally with dismount.
Pvm training and pvp training aren't necessarily the same process. Str for example isn't that important, as it's primary focus is dismounting you. For pvp all it needs is dismount, maxed resists (fire physical energy anyway), some scrolled skills, and now SR. You can get all of that done in one upgrade. I mean it's not hypothetical, people are doing it.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
Pvm training and pvp training aren't necessarily the same process. Str for example isn't that important, as it's primary focus is dismounting you. For pvp all it needs is dismount, maxed resists (fire physical energy anyway), some scrolled skills, and now SR. You can get all of that done in one upgrade. I mean it's not hypothetical, people are doing it.
So the issues more with dismount than it is with the phoenix specifically?

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem is a combination of it's spells, speed, and ability to dismount while the owner remains on mount. Removing the dismount would just make it an annoying speeder pigeon.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think so. While phoenix will still probably spell doom for any mage on foot (which I think is imbalanced), at least if tamers would have to be dismounted themselves to dismount someone and so they could be dealt with more easily. It would be a better fix than the currently suggested one I would wager.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yes it would!

But you provide no evidence it will affect PvP but you want to nerf it, just in case it does. Who needs this :coco::coco:

It goes with the person who has not even seen a pet in Fel. But still is complaining.
I wish Stratics had an ignore option for people like this. Or at least some kind of title system that said things under their name like, "PvM'er," "Good PvP'er," "Bad PvP'er," "PvM'er & Bad PvP'er" (Maz lol), etc; and the amount that you could post on PvP matters was based on how good you were at PvP (or whether you pvp at all); instead of things like "stratics veteran."

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone remember when they improved the rune books? made them look nicely more detailed, completely within the classic uo style, and people complained and they ended up reverting them...
It will be a real shame if the SJWs win again.

Man i really loved those new runebooks...

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well so much for getting the old Phoenix back

Maybe they will change the color at least

She did say the artist can fix them looking like the rest at the spawns

I guess barneys next to appear in uo

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well so much for getting the old Phoenix back

Maybe they will change the color at least

She did say the artist can fix them looking like the rest at the spawns

I guess barneys next to appear in uo

Next vanity mount on the uo store next to the lasher.

Although credit where credit is due... Windrunner pretty awesome looking

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hey!! that option isn't there when i click your name!! :p

View attachment 68223
The ignore feature is set so that it's impossible to ignore moderators and administrators. We need to be able to send people infraction PM's, and if they ignored us it would make it impossible to give them infractions or suspensions/bans. A forum poster discovered and exploited that a year or two ago. Which is why it was changed to be the way it is now :)

That was certainly an interesting discovery though, it went from just another infraction to "um... why is it impossible for any of us to do anything to this person's account?" They were pretty clever figuring out that loophole.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wish Stratics had an ignore option for people like this. Or at least some kind of title system that said things under their name like, "PvM'er," "Good PvP'er," "Bad PvP'er," "PvM'er & Bad PvP'er" (Maz lol), etc; and the amount that you could post on PvP matters was based on how good you were at PvP (or whether you pvp at all); instead of things like "stratics veteran."
Or "Cheater" so their input could just be ignored on all matters.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Or "Cheater" so their input could just be ignored on all matters.
What do you consider a "cheater"? Who are your characters? What shard do you play? And how do you think you would fare in UO if players didn't "cheat"?