• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Eagle/Phoenix

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Christ this forum is tedious, why must every thread devolve into Trammel v Felucca sniping. Can we please get some moderation?

Agreed. The fel whiners won. All pets will get nerfed.

Lock it up Danno.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What you're saying is - 5% of the population want a challenge whilst playing the game, but don't want it ruined, the other 95% want the most of their game time to be easily achievable with either a pet hitting something and keeping that alive, or pushing armour ignore every 1.25 seconds to stay alive on that char then for the tiny bit where they do want to feel challenged, they want it to be some gimp thing thats as close to their pvm as possible?

K just checking

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed. The fel whiners won. All pets will get nerfed.

Lock it up Danno.
All tameable pets that move at the speed of a mounted player should be nerfed.

They "nerfed" Cu's when they moved that fast and that was before they could cast spells and chain specials...

So why is this being debated now?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All tameable pets that move at the speed of a mounted player should be nerfed.

They "nerfed" Cu's when they moved that fast and that was before they could cast spells and chain specials...

So why is this being debated now?
Because us Trammies had a bet on who could rile up the pvpers into a tizzy the most. Personally I feel I'm winning so far.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PvPers represent Maybe 5% of the games population. Why do PvPers want to stop any other people from giving it a try. I don't don't hear a call for a competitive nerf. Most just don't want any pet to give them an owie. Sounds very counterproductive.
Um, we DON'T want to stop people from trying pvp. Where did you get that idea? Because Paith complained (and rightfully so) about something that's broken? I mean, there's VIDEO EVIDENCE of how fast the Phoenix can move when tamed - what more do you want?

*laughs*

Pheonix birds aren't the only one people are going to be complaining about! We are still very early into this change and lots of people are taming some very nasty and surprising creatures. Phoenix are going to be least of PvPers worries. Personally I like the idea of tamers being more viable in PvP . I suggest people get use to and find tactics to deal with more creatures in the PvP field and at spawns.
There were tamers in pvp prior to the pet revamp. Not a lot, and they were ALL dismounters, but they didn't have a game-breakingly overpowered pet. I'm not sure what shards you play on, but it doesn't matter since we can just char copy. I'll ask this question though: Do you have any pets that haven't been boosted yet? I'll be more than happy to kill the pets...and/or you.

Another question: In all of the pvp threads that have been made in the past...let's say 6 months, how many (prior to this thread) have complained about taming? I'll give you the answer: ZERO. Do you know why? Because tamers weren't broken because of one pet. Sure, dismount tamers did quite well in a group setting, but that's what they are: a group template. They lose a lot of effectiveness when it's 1v1; they're not unplayable in those situations by any stretch, but they're much easier to play against.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes the Phoenix is faster than intended and the Devs have made mention that they are looking into it. So it will be fixed, and I say fixed because they had made an effort while still on test center to address the speed of this pet. They capped stamina which did not fix the speed as intended, so now one can only assume they are going to adjust the dexterity cap as well. PvP holds little appeal to many of us, as many do move faster than this bird using various means we can not mention. If I am looking for pvp action I play other games but that is my choice. I respect that there are many who do pvp in the most legit way. The pets I have been training are a joy to play with their many abilities and advanced custom builds. As far as the power I could do most things with my sampire in half the time. The bird will be fixed and we can all continue to find Joy and Happiness in our gameplay.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
Um, we DON'T want to stop people from trying pvp. Where did you get that idea? Because Paith complained (and rightfully so) about something that's broken? I mean, there's VIDEO EVIDENCE of how fast the Phoenix can move when tamed - what more do you want?

There were tamers in pvp prior to the pet revamp. Not a lot, and they were ALL dismounters, but they didn't have a game-breakingly overpowered pet. I'm not sure what shards you play on, but it doesn't matter since we can just char copy. I'll ask this question though: Do you have any pets that haven't been boosted yet? I'll be more than happy to kill the pets...and/or you.

Another question: In all of the pvp threads that have been made in the past...let's say 6 months, how many (prior to this thread) have complained about taming? I'll give you the answer: ZERO. Do you know why? Because tamers weren't broken because of one pet. Sure, dismount tamers did quite well in a group setting, but that's what they are: a group template. They lose a lot of effectiveness when it's 1v1; they're not unplayable in those situations by any stretch, but they're much easier to play against.
So by your logic the phoenix shouldn't be nerfed because it allows a tamer to have an all-around useful template for PvP, both 1v1 and in group? It seems like someone attacked a tamer 1v1 who had a phoenix pet, couldn't /easymode the tamer and then died and is now upset because they lost 1v1 to a tamer.

Maybe the phoenix is the answer to tamers being merely team based pvp templates and opens up the possibility of a decent solo pvp template? Also - running away isn't the only way to avoid a tamed pet. You can usually get an invis off and mount up again, then slip off. Or with the 30% damage tamed pets do in PvP, just go for the throat of the tamer and ignore the pet. Also - what melee PvPer gets close to a tamer they even suspect may be prepared for PvP (bolas)?? Sounds like bad PvP imo. Nerfs shouldn't come from people being bad.

Pets aren't even an issue in group PvP usually. The person who gets targeted by "all kill" trains the pet away from the tamer while the team destroys the, usually, defenseless tamer.

I'll wait for cries against pvp built pets with Mage Mastery if they can teleport to targets like they do in PVM - I remember the outcries from PvPers when GD's did that... :rolleyes: Balance shouldn't (and has never been determined "cough sampire cough") by 1v1 content.

Also I saw your post with the phoenix chasing you. It took 12 seconds roughly for it to red line you? More than enough for heals, pots, invis and even recall.

I'll agree with one thing - pets shouldn't be able to dismount if their controller is mounted. Makes sense, and its how bolas work. But if you get dismounted, you should have to deal with the consequences. And if thats a bird following you and pecking you for a whopping 19 damage... and all you do is run. That's on you.

Last edited:

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really think all pets should be increased in damage in pvp - they are just too weak.

If a tamer has no chance against a non tamer pvp 1vs1 then something is radically wrong and unbalanced with the pets. I do not care at all about the speed of a bird, I am talking about increasing damage of all pets in pvp.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So by your logic the phoenix shouldn't be nerfed because it allows a tamer to have an all-around useful template for PvP, both 1v1 and in group? It seems like someone attacked a tamer 1v1 who had a phoenix pet, couldn't /easymode the tamer and then died and is now upset because they lost 1v1 to a tamer.

Maybe the phoenix is the answer to tamers being merely team based pvp templates and opens up the possibility of a decent solo pvp template? Also - running away isn't the only way to avoid a tamed pet. You can usually get an invis off and mount up again, then slip off. Or with the 30% damage tamed pets do in PvP, just go for the throat of the tamer and ignore the pet. Also - what melee PvPer gets close to a tamer they even suspect may be prepared for PvP (bolas)?? Sounds like bad PvP imo. Nerfs shouldn't come from people being bad.

Pets aren't even an issue in group PvP usually. The person who gets targeted by "all kill" trains the pet away from the tamer while the team destroys the, usually, defenseless tamer.

I'll wait for cries against pvp built pets with Mage Mastery if they can teleport to targets like they do in PVM - I remember the outcries from PvPers when GD's did that... :rolleyes: Balance shouldn't (and has never been determined "cough sampire cough") by 1v1 content.

Also I saw your post with the phoenix chasing you. It took 12 seconds roughly for it to red line you? More than enough for heals, pots, invis and even recall.

I'll agree with one thing - pets shouldn't be able to dismount if their controller is mounted. Makes sense, and its how bolas work. But if you get dismounted, you should have to deal with the consequences. And if thats a bird following you and pecking you for a whopping 19 damage... and all you do is run. That's on you.
I died inside a little bit reading your post due to how little you know. Tamers were very useful in PvP prior to the publish 1v1. You just had to know what you were doing. Just saying "all kill" was not the answer. The rest of your post was non sense that lets me know how bad you are at pvp without having to pvp vs you.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really think all pets should be increased in damage in pvp - they are just too weak.

If a tamer has no chance against a non tamer pvp 1vs1 then something is radically wrong and unbalanced with the pets. I do not care at all about the speed of a bird, I am talking about increasing damage of all pets in pvp.
What? why does a tamer not have a chance against a non tamer? Where did off the wall comment come from?

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Two posts in a row, Paithan. Where do you find the time?
I thought you were busy dodging fights eight days a week...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They capped stamina which did not fix the speed as intended, so now one can only assume they are going to adjust the dexterity cap as well.
Which is what they should have done in the first place. I don't even understand why stamina was capped. It would actually be nice to have a stamina buffer to keep pets swinging at max speed. :/

I feel like they just made a mistake and nerfed the wrong stat.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

First off, I'm going to address that COMPLETELY asinine bolded statement: why should pvp NOT be balanced around 1v1 fights? I forget what thread it was, but before the pvp fix publish, pretty much EVERYONE that answered the poll said "balance around 1v1." Would you like me to explain why that opinion was universally agreed upon?

Bird following you and hitting for 19 damage: If it was just that, it wouldn't be the problem. It's a bird you can't escape from that can hit for 19 damage, cast spells, and dismount, among other things. Do you really think players are going to complain about boosted White Wyrms, Nightmares, Rune Beetles, Dread Spiders, etc? We're not. Ok, sure, they might be hard to kill because of the HP and resist bump, but most of them will still be 4-slot (or 5-slot) pets you can't mount. No tamer is going to pvp like that unless they're a gargoyle...and you very RARELY see a gargoyle when you're pvp'ing.

Tamers dying easily in a group: Ok, I'll give you that one...but that doesn't apply just to tamers. Getting an invis off, mounting up again, and running? Um, no. First off, that only works with ethies (which can be interrupted if you try to re-mount) - if you do that, the other player will just toss a conflag and you'll get revealed. If you do it with an actual pet, a casting pet (i.e. a dread mare) will poison it, the tamer can para-blow, etc.

Can't "easymode" a tamer? Um, what? That depends purely on their skill. Some tamers are an easy kill because they aren't very good. Others will make you work for it. I've fought one of the latter multiple times, and as much as I hate to admit it (short version: really hate the guy), he knows how to play his tamer.

The pro-phoenix counterarguments are complete nonsense, and it's painfully obvious that the people saying it have probably never actually pvp'd in Fel.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Well, just read all 217 posts here and we must say we feel in the middle... We do feel sorry for and understand the concerns of the pvp-ers who enjoy the challenge of their battles, constantly trying to find ways to outdo each other's templates and no doubt you are most knowledgeable about the edges in combat and what is OP. Ironically, the problem here is not with the regular tamers trying to do an occasional Champ (PwnySlaystation even posted 2 non-pvp tamers with Phoenixes were no problem at all!), but with those PvP-ers always trying to maximise their win chances without even hoping for a challenge! THEY abuse an unbalanced system, and are probably the ones to brag about it on General Chat afterwards.

So while we acknowledge the concerns of the real PvP-ers, we feel Polaris had a very good point in one of his posts:

The phoenix seems to scream "hey, you're not gonna run from us," which is why I liked it. It gives a great defense at spawns.... and the power scrolls are more open to everybody. I mean... the reds got rich off of this expansion with the power scrolls.... the least they can do is give Trammies a nice means to defend themselves against getting ganked over and over by speed hackers every time they try to do a spawn? Does it hurt that bad that a few tamers and peeps might go do spawns with a little more assurance?
NinjaSampire echos the same sentiments as Polaris, and we feel that a lot of resentment against PvP-ers from Trammies comes from this: The fact that they always claim to be in for "the Challenge", but then go gank easy Trammy kills who are merely hoping to get a PS for themselves. Rare to last 3 seconds those fights, ooooh, what a challenge that was! Talk about looking for an easy button! :coco: We did not like to see the posts cheering on ruining another style of playing (ie pvp), but from this background we can see where they are coming from. What is the fun in ganking easy trammy kills with 5 well trained PvP-ers? Doesn't this make it seem this is all about the goodies after all? Is it so strange for Trammies to be happy with a pet that FINALLY has a remote change of nailing one of the attackers (if they don't work together well) in return or give a chance at getting away alive yourself while sacrificing your pet? Maybe a solution to these frustrations would be to introduce PS to trammel based champ Spawns? Even if only the 105 or 110's, then it gives those a reason to be done, other than that it is a fun system, champing. (At least we like it.) That way, the trammies that don't enjoy or even despise PvP (like us, HATE adrenaline rushes!) can still work towards improving their characters or pets, without having to endure the multiple ganks all the time. Or need billions of gold, quite hard to get on a once-per-week evening of UO. And PvP-ers can get to fight with their capable opponents who enjoy the challenge as well, although the exploiters will probably remain part of that too to brag.

In the end there is no solution that makes everyone happy, the playstyles differ too much and there will always be people abusing things for other purposes. We personally wouldn't mind giving up some of the Phoenix speed for the playing fun of others, but we also can't appreciate those posts wishing to nerf tamers back into mere sitting ducks waiting to die.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ironically, the problem here is not with the regular tamers trying to do an occasional Champ (PwnySlaystation even posted 2 non-pvp tamers with Phoenixes were no problem at all!), but with those PvP-ers always trying to maximise their win chances without even hoping for a challenge!
WTF are you talking about?

The problem is a single pet (the pheonix) that moves at the speed of a mounted player being used in PVP.

That's it.

The problem isn't that people use it, the problem is that it exists in game after it was mentioned as a red flag on test center numerous times.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
THEY abuse an unbalanced system, and are probably the ones to brag about it on General Chat afterwards.
Well, that's just human nature. You look for the tactic/strategy that will give you the best chance at accomplishing your set goals. Whether you act immature about it afterwards is up to the individual's character. It's on the devs to make sure there aren't any tactics that are dramatically out of whack power wise with any others, not the players.

In the end there is no solution that makes everyone happy, the playstyles differ too much and there will always be people abusing things for other purposes. We personally wouldn't mind giving up some of the Phoenix speed for the playing fun of others, but we also can't appreciate those posts wishing to nerf tamers back into mere sitting ducks waiting to die.
I too think they should just cap the bird's speed, because really the effect on pvm would be exceptionally tiny, if not completely forgotten a month after the change happens. I highly doubt phoenix will even be the pet de jour either way, as I hear pretty much no one talking about them outside of their pvp value. I mean even if they cap it at 150, thats STILL faster than any pet moved before this publish, so yeah... nothing to get worked up about.

As for people fearing tamers will be nerfed into uselessness, I really think that's simply dramatic hyperbole by people who have always been hypersensitive to any pvp related changes made that have any effect on pvm regardless of how small, then blow it all out of proportion and frame the situation as if that pvpers have ruined the game for pvmers, which is patently absurd. Of course most of the people against this change have 0 interest in pvping anyway, and if you removed pets from pvp completely they wouldn't even notice. Of course I don't think there is any danger of that happening, as they have made no indication that any changes would be made aside from adjusting this one specific monster, the only one capable of the speeds that cause this problem.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Everything I said is true... I am torn on the issue too however.... As I mentioned above, I love the phoenix's speed. I like that it "almost" keeps up with my horse when I'm running. But I do feel the pvp'ers also sadly. I like watching all of their 5v5 videos on Youtube and could see how a group of 5 tamers with phoenixes could wreck other groups atm.... ruining what they have long come to love as UO's current playstyle....

I do not think there will be a fix to make everyone happy in this instance, so I fully expect to lose pet speed. It's just sad... as that was the BEST thing to come from this patch. Everyone loves having pets run/walk fast. The greater dragon being so slow all of those years caused it..... Everyone taming said the same thing. "Dex!!!" Nobody pvp'ed..... but we still liked the Dex. Now what's left will be high HP and overcapped resists.... nerfing Dex will be taking away the 3rd leg of "the fun of this expansion."

They've already nerfed Goo... so now all of the rich people in UO who could afford 120 ps's to tee off with have Hiryu's with exploding Goo that nobody else can ever get..... and it's because of afk players farming powerscrolls on empty shards with pets I hear.... again, rich people abusing the system to get richer. IE... the cheaters, the scripters, the bots, ect.... So sad how people have to ruin something incredibly fun...

Fix: GMs and Mesanna actually banning scripters/botters/cheaters. Come to IDOCs or events and play the game with us and you'll see very fast who to ban..... and give us back our exploding Goo on Hiryus as mine just bonded!! Sad.... I waited instead of buying a bonding potion and got shafted, that's real fair GM team.... As for pets; I don't see why you guys don't just cap All Attack speed vs Players. I mean... they can control damage from pets vs players, as that was reduced 30% already..... *Sighs* But yes... I give in... there will be no pet defense at champion spawns and the fel pvp'ers will continue to get very rich from this expansion, because the nerf stick is coming. We can't have pets that are actually intelligent and fast to pvp with, after all.... just stupid dragons that reds will lure/run from..........

*Sorry this post is way off base possibly, complaining on a time limit as I have to jet.* Peace all.... I do hope the issue gets resolved.... as I need some powerscrolls (hear they will make them shard bound soon.... *sighs again*) and like the pet speed obviously.

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I do hope the issue gets resolved.... as I need some powerscrolls (hear they will make them shard bound soon.... *sighs again*) and like the pet speed obviously.
I know this is off topic, but I have to mention- I've not seen proof of shard based scrolls. If this does happen, expect your 120 mage to go from a current gut wrenching 100+m to a 300-500m scroll overnight. Complaining about bots, yet even with bots scrolls are way pricey... it's a catch-22... making them shard bound just forces everyone back to ATL for gold making and will cause pvp guilds to govern spawns way worse than we already do. That would be, by far, one of the worst ideas they could have; and make this Phoenix dex nerf look silly in comparison.

Other shards might get a boost in players for a few months, but as normal, wouldn't be able to sustain it due to supply overtaking demand - and scrolls being governed by already established guilds...

That would become the worst power-play in UO history... it would very quickly kill the game! It goes beyond pets... you wouldn't be able to create a new template unless that character already had the scrolls because scrolls alone- right now- to start a 120'ed out mage will cost you half a plat and they would be double if not triple that if shard bound...

The first thing I thought of when they said pets will be eating power scrolls was to go out and spend every dime I had on relevant powerscrolls. I thank UO for my wealth! 24m for Margery scrolls - I quadrupled my gold!!!

Back on topic- factions forced 1v1's out years ago (why do you think arenas exist?) The updates to factions only made that worse. Order and Chaos brought pvp to Luna - that was fun, but gone very quickly! One of the few times Trammies were complaining about their bank sitters!!! The perks to being in VvV now are too valuable not to join. Big guild fights are tough enough - cheats or not- a sync dump from 8 people on to 1- you won't live without help.

Really this topic has nothing to do with pvm or trammies at all... they just like to give their 2 (or 20) cents. This is specifically pvp complaints directed at other pvpers who are gaining a huge advantage from the pet publish right now. You can be a trammy with a Phoenix, step into fel yew- your odds are now better, but you will still die because you don't have a survival understanding. Give a PvPer that Phoenix who even remotely understands survival tactics in PvP (which is why this thread exists) and things get tough.

The natural progression in PvP has always been, if you can't beat them, join them. That is hard to do when their suits are 10p... that's very easy to do when all you have to do is tame and train a bird... so guess what's naturally happening? Until it's nerfed... go to Yew, I'll be you'll see many little red birdies!

Everyone likes to blame PvP for the nerfs... remember how UO came into existence? Go join a guild- it's a requirement these days to get scrolls. Don't blame us, blame the game play for getting us to where we are now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know this is off topic, but I have to mention- I've not seen proof of shard based scrolls. If this does happen, expect your 120 mage to go from a current gut wrenching 100+m to a 300-500m scroll overnight. Complaining about bots, yet even with bots scrolls are way pricey... it's a catch-22... making them shard bound just forces everyone back to ATL for gold making and will cause pvp guilds to govern spawns way worse than we already do. That would be, by far, one of the worst ideas they could have; and make this Phoenix dex nerf look silly in comparison.

Other shards might get a boost in players for a few months, but as normal, wouldn't be able to sustain it due to supply overtaking demand - and scrolls being governed by already established guilds...

That would become the worst power-play in UO history... it would very quickly kill the game! It goes beyond pets... you wouldn't be able to create a new template unless that character already had the scrolls because scrolls alone- right now- to start a 120'ed out mage will cost you half a plat and they would be double if not triple that if shard bound...

The first thing I thought of when they said pets will be eating power scrolls was to go out and spend every dime I had on relevant powerscrolls. I thank UO for my wealth! 24m for Margery scrolls - I quadrupled my gold!!!

Back on topic- factions forced 1v1's out years ago (why do you think arenas exist?) The updates to factions only made that worse. Order and Chaos brought pvp to Luna - that was fun, but gone very quickly! One of the few times Trammies were complaining about their bank sitters!!! The perks to being in VvV now are too valuable not to join. Big guild fights are tough enough - cheats or not- a sync dump from 8 people on to 1- you won't live without help.

Really this topic has nothing to do with pvm or trammies at all... they just like to give their 2 (or 20) cents. This is specifically pvp complaints directed at other pvpers who are gaining a huge advantage from the pet publish right now. You can be a trammy with a Phoenix, step into fel yew- your odds are now better, but you will still die because you don't have a survival understanding. Give a PvPer that Phoenix who even remotely understands survival tactics in PvP (which is why this thread exists) and things get tough.

The natural progression in PvP has always been, if you can't beat them, join them. That is hard to do when their suits are 10p... that's very easy to do when all you have to do is tame and train a bird... so guess what's naturally happening? Until it's nerfed... go to Yew, I'll be you'll see many little red birdies!

Everyone likes to blame PvP for the nerfs... remember how UO came into existence? Go join a guild- it's a requirement these days to get scrolls. Don't blame us, blame the game play for getting us to where we are now...

Aye... I'm praying that they don't make powerscrolls shard bound. I just like to mention stuff like that in hopes that the team look at it at some point. That would be horrible for powerscroll prices and availability both.

Sorry I just felt the need to complain this morning. Reading last night that some people now had super rare Hiryu's with Goo that nobody else can no longer have upset me a lot. Mesanna wanted to fix people sitting at champ spawns afk farming with Goo pets... but those people she saw doing that get to keep their pets and the rest of us don't? That's what led to me bickering this morning was what I read about that last night. :/ :/ I guess everyone else will be forced to use necro pets and wither..... sad.

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Aye... I'm praying that they don't make powerscrolls shard bound. I just like to mention stuff like that in hopes that the team look at it at some point. That would be horrible for powerscroll prices and availability both.

Sorry I just felt the need to complain this morning. Reading last night that some people now had super rare Hiryu's with Goo that nobody else can no longer have upset me a lot. Mesanna wanted to fix people sitting at champ spawns afk farming with Goo pets... but those people she saw doing that get to keep their pets and the rest of us don't? That's what led to me bickering this morning was what I read about that last night. :/ :/ I guess everyone else will be forced to use necro pets and wither..... sad.
So exploding goo is gone for all pets?

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Not all of them. From what I read it's just the ones with inherently high MR already like Hiryus (and I think beetles, but not sure.) Pretty much for the most useful pets though, yes... b/c it's such a mana intensive special move that it's practically worthless on animals with simply MR 30 and Med/Focus.... they will stay at 0 mana in a spawn with tons of monsters bashing them (ie champion spawns.) Hiryus have such a high mana regeneration naturally that they nerfed them so that they can no longer have the Goo. Hiryu's were special in that they could have armor ignore, Goo, and Bushido (get whirlwind for free and parrying.) Now the Goo is gone.... but the people who already made their pets get to keep theirs...... way to be fair Mesanna. Glad I was on the cutting edge with info... *sighs* It's my own fault for not buying up powerscrolls before the expansion hit and not having pet bonding potions.

Edit** @Scott I could be extremely wrong about all of that. I still see people talking about Goo on their Hiryus... but I'm not sure if that's old pets or not. Toooo much reading. Sorry all.... reading leads to me inevitably complaining I think. *Goes to play game and quits reading.* :p :p I think I did read that they nerfed the Goo though for MR inherent pets on one of these posts just last night though. But I'm gonna forget it and go play. :) :) Peace all.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not all of them. From what I read it's just the ones with inherently high MR already like Hiryus (and I think beetles, but not sure.) Pretty much for the most useful pets though, yes... b/c it's such a mana intensive special move that it's practically worthless on animals with simply MR 30 and Med/Focus.... they will stay at 0 mana in a spawn with tons of monsters bashing them (ie champion spawns.) Hiryus have such a high mana regeneration naturally that they nerfed them so that they can no longer have the Goo. Hiryu's were special in that they could have armor ignore, Goo, and Bushido (get whirlwind for free and parrying.) Now the Goo is gone.... but the people who already made their pets get to keep theirs...... way to be fair Mesanna. Glad I was on the cutting edge with info... *sighs* It's my own fault for not buying up powerscrolls before the expansion hit and not having pet bonding potions.

Edit** @Scott I could be extremely wrong about all of that. I still see people talking about Goo on their Hiryus... but I'm not sure if that's old pets or not. Toooo much reading. Sorry all.... reading leads to me inevitably complaining I think. *Goes to play game and quits reading.* :p :p I think I did read that they nerfed the Goo though for MR inherent pets on one of these posts just last night though. But I'm gonna forget it and go play. :) :) Peace all.
I agree nerfing it after the fact leaving several folk with seriously nice pets out there no one else can have a chance to have is WRONG... but to take it away from them when they already spent the points is also wrong... again this is why this should have had FAR more testing.

And really I thought the whole reason for the publish was to bring tamers back up to inline with other builds and such... since tamers have been lackluster for a long while... so nerfing them back to lack luster status seems like a waste IMO.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Still available for Hiryu Just put it on one today and one two days ago. With these you have to put on AoE before magical ability or it locks out special move or AoE choice. So you must pick Goo before Bushido etc..

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just a further note on Hiryu. You must pick AoE first to have it because once you pick special move like AI it will lock you out of choice of AoE but still allow you to pick magical ability. Same goes for AI when you pick goo....so when building this pet it is either AI or Goo then pick Magical ability as that will lock you out of both if you pick it first. Hope this helps as I just wanted to make it better understood about how you have to build some pets. I take mine to test center first to make sure what order may be needed and I know not everyone else has the time too.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only "LOLz" we´ll be sharing is me reading your excuses... ;)
As predicted.. scared to say who ya are. Another victim of my dominance.

Back on topic..glad to see after over 5K views that bleak/messana/kyronix have not commented about the birds.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOLOL, people are dying to a bird!!! What ever happened to that word "adapt"? I mean nothing is wrong with Paith being able to play a healing mage with alchy and running at illegal speeds. But when a bird does it OMG game breaking. LOLOLOLOLOL. I think all he found out is hes a terrible pvper that a pre-preprogrammed pet can beat him. Learn to adapt already. PvP has been long dead since cheating is basically allowed non stop for players. God forbid the non cheaters get something to help against them and make the cheaters cry all day. I cant stop LOLing about this irl. I vote the phoenix as president!. When there is more then the same ol 20-25 pvpers to fight against Ill come back and play.

P.S. Nerf all the high end gear and bring back the real balance to UO pvp.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As predicted.. scared to say who ya are. Another victim of my dominance.

Back on topic..glad to see after over 5K views that bleak/messana/kyronix have not commented about the birds.
Actually if you read the meet and greet post you'll see that the problem was that when hit the Phoenix wouldn't slow down. That will no longer be the case.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
@Bleak

I'm not sure the proposed fix for the Phoenix is the right one. The max speed is still going to be the same. The speed will slow down after getting hit and having its stamina dropped, but you can put 30 stamina regen on the phoenix to counteract this slowing down process. So how exactly is this a nerf?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bleak

I'm not sure the proposed fix for the Phoenix is the right one. The max speed is still going to be the same. The speed will slow down after getting hit and having its stamina dropped, but you can put 30 stamina regen on the phoenix to counteract this slowing down process. So how exactly is this a nerf?
There's a shock. It's not enough of a nerf and it hasn't even been nerfed yet lol. Typical.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's a shock. It's not enough of a nerf and it hasn't even been nerfed yet lol. Typical.

I doubt if that poster has even seen a pet in PvP. Ive asked her countless time for a screen shot of one. But, there must be more nerfs even though Ive never seen one of the pets.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt if that poster has even seen a pet in PvP. Ive asked her countless time for a screen shot of one. But, there must be more nerfs even though Ive never seen one of the pets.
I'll admit I was wrong originally. If it wasn't losing speed after getting hit then yes it needed a nerf. That isn't kewl and should be fixed. With a bird talisman you should be able to do enough damage to slow it down and escape.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll admit I was wrong originally. If it wasn't losing speed after getting hit then yes it needed a nerf. That isn't kewl and should be fixed. With a bird talisman you should be able to do enough damage to slow it down and escape.

Stamina regen has not been needed on PvM pets so far. I hope people didn't use all their powerscrolls, now that their billion dollar pet needs rebuilt.

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
This coming from a dexxer only? Casting is narrowly impossible - please stop talking till you fight one on a mage...

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I would suggest maybe some diminishing returns on stamina regen, but that might piss off some pvm players

Personally I think a simple cap on movement speed would work.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would suggest maybe some diminishing returns on stamina regen, but that might piss off some pvm players

Dex capped at 180 works for me. Don't touch stamina loss in PvM.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman

The change they made makes the pet still a factor in PvP as you can't just ignore it because if you do it'll keep catching you. You can however slow it down by hitting it.

But correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying you don't like this because it remains a factor in the fight if you choose to ignore it and doesn't allow you to focus on the tamer? So it should be changed?

I think the change perfectly addressed the issue without ruining the pet and keeping it a factor in PvP.

This coming from a dexxer only? Casting is narrowly impossible - please stop talking till you fight one on a mage...

So are you saying all templates should be able to beat a tamer template using a phoenix? Also as a tamer who has tamed phoenixes solo, its possible to cast through their damage. You can also get away from them. And wild phoenix do full damage to players... not 30%.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The change they made makes the pet still a factor in PvP as you can't just ignore it because if you do it'll keep catching you. You can however slow it down by hitting it.

But correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying you don't like this because it remains a factor in the fight if you choose to ignore it and doesn't allow you to focus on the tamer? So it should be changed?

I think the change perfectly addressed the issue without ruining the pet and keeping it a factor in PvP.

So are you saying all templates should be able to beat a tamer template using a phoenix? Also as a tamer who has tamed phoenixes solo, its possible to cast through their damage. You can also get away from them. And wild phoenix do full damage to players... not 30%.
I'm saying the 30 stamina regen you can put on the phoenix would negate the stamina loss from getting hit. Since it can replenish its stamina quickly, it will stay at max speed most of the time.

Also it is hard to cast when both the phoenix and tamer are hitting you. It is not just the Phoenix that is attacking by itself.

Last edited:

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
I'm saying the 30 stamina regen you can put on the phoenix would negate the stamina loss from getting hit. Since it can replenish its stamina quickly, it will stay at max speed most of the time.

Also it is hard to cast when both the phoenix and tamer are hitting you. It is not just the Phoenix that is attacking by itself.
Not many tamers are putting 30 Stamina regen on pets - and tbh I would be of the opinion that it would be a waste on a phoenix, even with the changes, unless the phoenix is only going to be used in PvP. Even then it'd be questionable.

I'd like to see the theory crafting/math behind how much 30 SR returns in actual stamina regen'd. 30 MR from my understanding equates to 1.35 mana per second according to Stratic's calc. If SR is calculated with a similar formula, then I'm curious just how beneficial it is in combat and if it'd "replenish its stamina quickly." Without the math backing up your claim, you concern isn't really valid.

Is Protection not factored into a PvP mage suit? Or Casting Focus? How do PvP mages hold out against dexxers? It seems like you're arguing "Because my specific build/gear setup isn't effective against <other build>, then <other build> should be adjusted to my level."

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Is Protection not factored into a PvP mage suit? Or Casting Focus? How do PvP mages hold out against dexxers? It seems like you're arguing "Because my specific build/gear setup isn't effective against <other build>, then <other build> should be adjusted to my level."
You are missing the point...
you can have billions of gold locked up into a suit and die just as fast as an imbued suit...

Situational pvp, sure... you can't

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is Protection not factored into a PvP mage suit? Or Casting Focus? How do PvP mages hold out against dexxers?
In order:
No, since it completely removes any FC the player has. It has situational uses in field fights/grinders, but that's it*.
No, but a lot of pieces have it, so pretty much all mage suits have at least a small amount of it.
Timing.

*I do know there are people who play with Protection at all times, and I still haven't figured out why. Sure, it makes it impossible for someone to interrupt you, but it comes with too large a penalty.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
In order:
No, since it completely removes any FC the player has. It has situational uses in field fights/grinders, but that's it*.
No, but a lot of pieces have it, so pretty much all mage suits have at least a small amount of it.
Timing.

*I do know there are people who play with Protection at all times, and I still haven't figured out why. Sure, it makes it impossible for someone to interrupt you, but it comes with too large a penalty.
Protection only reduces your FC by 1? Not all of it. And you can over cap it to fix that issue. I don't know how "tight" it is when it comes to stats needed for PvP mages though. Also what about reactive paralyze on weapons for mages? *shrug* It just seems like there is more to it. I can understand being upset, spending billions on "the perfect suit" and then having trouble with a change in the game. But there are probably ways to adapt I would imagine.

You are missing the point...
you can have billions of gold locked up into a suit and die just as fast as an imbued suit...

Situational pvp, sure... you can't

What exactly is your point then? If you can have billions locked up into a suit and die anyway, what makes it different if you're killed by a tamer with a phoenix or a dexxer?

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Protection sets your FC to 0. Doesn't matter if you're overcapped. You can't cast faster than that if you have Protection on

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Not many tamers are putting 30 Stamina regen on pets - and tbh I would be of the opinion that it would be a waste on a phoenix, even with the changes, unless the phoenix is only going to be used in PvP. Even then it'd be questionable.

I'd like to see the theory crafting/math behind how much 30 SR returns in actual stamina regen'd. 30 MR from my understanding equates to 1.35 mana per second according to Stratic's calc. If SR is calculated with a similar formula, then I'm curious just how beneficial it is in combat and if it'd "replenish its stamina quickly." Without the math backing up your claim, you concern isn't really valid.

Not many tamers might put 30 stam regen on a pheonix now, but that is all gonna change if they go ahead with the proposed fix. The only logical solution to counter the nerf is to put 30 stam regen on it. That is what I would do. What exactly is going to stop a tamer from adding 30 stam regen to their phoenix?

Maybe a pvm tamer might not want 30 stam regen, but it is almost guaranteed a pvp tamer is going to use it for their phoenix.

Last edited: