• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dragons Buffed on Test?

G

Excellent, just putting my munchkin down for a nap, then I'll be there.

W

Winder UO

Done a bit of testing with Nico. And im not as scared as i was anymore. Theres still a few things that needs to be adressed before these are published, but all in all i dont see this as a gamebreaker for PvP.

Im more concerned about the current state with rune beetles and bake kitsunes.

Needed fixes for these uber dragons are as follows:
<ul>
[*]Decrease damage done by firebreath (atleast from tamed dragons to other players)
[*]Lower their meelee attack damage
[*]Make spellcasting from monsters same as from players. No chaining flamestrikes like it was harms (this goes for all monsters)

All of those are of course subject to discussion, and i hope to do some further testing. As test center isnt really a good place to test out real field situations

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

Done a bit of testing with Nico. And im not as scared as i was anymore. Theres still a few things that needs to be adressed before these are published, but all in all i dont see this as a gamebreaker for PvP.

<ul>
[*]Decrease damage done by firebreath (atleast from tamed dragons to other players)
[*]Make spellcasting from monsters same as from players. No chaining flamestrikes like it was harms (this goes for all monsters)

All of those are of course subject to discussion, and i hope to do some further testing. As test center isnt really a good place to test out real field situations

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I expected, but I'm glad to hear confirmation.

If the devs find that they need to decrease firebreath damage, I suggest they do that by decreasing the max hp on this dragon by 100-150. 900+ hp is probably too high.

As for decreasing the damage per hit on this dragon. I suspect that the targets on TC have rather low physical resist. This dragon shouldn't hit a high physical resist target for more than 45 EVER, which I think is acceptable when you consider that it's a 5 control slot beast. Also, you can't train these dragons up enough in stamina to be able to swing anywhere near the swing cap. If their dmg is debuffed much, they would have to be renamed "paper dragon" because they are already not even close to the best choice for dmg output. Beetle/bake, bake/bake, Frenzie pack, hell hound pack and probably even hellcat kitten pack will all outdamage this dragon. Actually, any 3/2 combination will probably outdamage this dragon

Spellcasting on pets is fine... it's part of the balancing factor of them. Fact is, pets move slower than a player running on foot. It sounds to me like you want pets to be completely worthless in pvp; not balanced. I think the pets we already have are balanced (balanced with the pvm content), so the way to fix any balance issues in pvp is to adjust OTHER game mechanics that are abused to make pets more effective in pvp. Nerfing pets to make the pvp minority happy is effectively throwing the baby out with the bath water because there is a majority of pvm people who you are screwing up.

IMO, the game mechanics that are abused to make pets not look balanced are
* pet balls
* ninja forms
* dismount

All of these things can be tweaked in such a way to ONLY effect pvp rather than destroying pvm tamers.

G

Thanks, Winder, I really appreciate your stepping in to face the Super Dragon.

For the most part, your points echo my own.

<blockquote><hr>

Decrease damage done by firebreath (atleast from tamed dragons to other players)

[/ QUOTE ]Reducing the hps to a more reasonable max of, say 800, would probably achieve this, though Leurocian would be the man with the hard numbers.

You had 912hp worth of firebreath blowing at you and by the numbers coming off you, max damage to you was about 54hp. I think keeping that max hp/max firebreath dmg to something more like a max of 40's range would be more fair/balanced.

<blockquote><hr>

Lower their melee attack damage

[/ QUOTE ]I'd really have to be on the receiving end to have a better idea of that.

<blockquote><hr>

Make spellcasting from monsters same as from players. No chaining flamestrikes like it was harms (this goes for all monsters)

[/ QUOTE ]Little confession here, my heavy xbow had high percentage hit harm spell. The Super Dragon wasn't actually responsible for all the harms coming your way.

I agree with you that despite it's nickname, the Super Dragon is not even remotely an uber, one-shot killing machine.

I seriously doubt that it's going to see much pvp action purely because a beetle/mare combo will outdamage it, and with a mare Mr or Ms Tamer can make tracks mounted on the mare. Beetle/Mare and Beetle/Kitsune are much quicker &amp; more efficient than the Super Dragon.

If I were going to choose to be on foot, I'd still take a beetle/kitsune even with a Super Dragon in my stables.

On checking both Destards, the Super Dragons are either no longer spawning on TC1, or the RNG is taking some kind of vengeance on me.

I've passed one of my two Super Dragons ("Gramps") to Al Thorin for his own special brand of field testing and I have one more which requires further training. I know Llewen has one on TC1 as does a friend from Europa. Apart from those, I've not actually seen any other Super Dragons.

Just PM or q me if you or your guild would like to play with a Super Dragon on TC1 for however long it lasts.

Again, my thanks, Winder.

W

Winder UO

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<ul>

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I expected, but I'm glad to hear confirmation.

If the devs find that they need to decrease firebreath damage, I suggest they do that by decreasing the max hp on this dragon by 100-150. 900+ hp is probably too high.

As for decreasing the damage per hit on this dragon. I suspect that the targets on TC have rather low physical resist. This dragon shouldn't hit a high physical resist target for more than 45 EVER, which I think is acceptable when you consider that it's a 5 control slot beast. Also, you can't train these dragons up enough in stamina to be able to swing anywhere near the swing cap. If their dmg is debuffed much, they would have to be renamed "paper dragon" because they are already not even close to the best choice for dmg output. Beetle/bake, bake/bake, Frenzie pack, hell hound pack and probably even hellcat kitten pack will all outdamage this dragon. Actually, any 3/2 combination will probably outdamage this dragon

Spellcasting on pets is fine... it's part of the balancing factor of them. Fact is, pets move slower than a player running on foot. It sounds to me like you want pets to be completely worthless in pvp; not balanced. I think the pets we already have are balanced (balanced with the pvm content), so the way to fix any balance issues in pvp is to adjust OTHER game mechanics that are abused to make pets more effective in pvp. Nerfing pets to make the pvp minority happy is effectively throwing the baby out with the bath water because there is a majority of pvm people who you are screwing up.

IMO, the game mechanics that are abused to make pets not look balanced are
* pet balls
* ninja forms
* dismount

All of these things can be tweaked in such a way to ONLY effect pvp rather than destroying pvm tamers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree to some extent. Consider the dragon has 800-900 HP. Firebreath is scaled on that. I had a 70/70 fire phys suit. The dragons speed is based upon hitpoints. It has high resists, so taking it down to slowing its speed with other people around can be hard. The tamer has limited defence itself. So its really no problem that way around. I had 125 hp on the char i tested it with, with as i said 70/70 fire phys, and its safe to say if i didnt manage to heal around it i would die in one spell, one direct hit and a firebreath.

Its not THAT overpowered, infact its not overpowered at all bar the fact it does ****LOADS of damage with direct hits and firebreath. But i dont wanna break it for PVM either.

But casting on pets, runebeetles in particular is a bit to fast imo. On dragons it might be fine, but runebeetles, hell no. With their speed, their LP and their bleed attack, combined with fast spells and armor corrupt.

What i want is a balance with all pets. Obviously this dragon can be tougher due to the fact it takes 5 slots. But a rune beetle is more powerful and only takes 3. I'll get this adressed with the devs, but the testing i've done so far its not really anything gamebreaking bar the physical damage and the firebreath.

Oh, and i dont want tamers to be useless in PVP. I just need them to get rather balanced compared to other playstyles.

A

Al Thorin

Well my first test at yew gate ended prematurely.

Couple messups in my macro's and forgetting to turn auto renew insurance has paused that little experiment till I go make another suit.

I was able to redline a couple dexers several times, but so far I'm 0-1.
It'll take a bit more, but so far the limited speed of myself leads me to believe the dragon will be a prime choice for Dismount, Ninja/pell ball chase.

W

Winder UO

Thats got nothing to do with the dragon itself tho. The petballs is the ones that needs to be adressed. Aswell as any ninja form that grants you a movement boost needs to take up another pet slot.

G

Oops! And, hey, never mind the bloody suit, how's my Gramps?!

I've got some stuff to get done before I can get back in game, however, it might be fun to to let these bad boys rip while we can. I'm betting high Llewen would be up for it, too.

Hey, tamer-tag might be fun. I'll even be bait (makes note to set snoop 1000 &amp; stealing 1200 to snag one of your pet summoning balls...).

~Nico~

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
*snorezz* *wakes up* *rubs eyes*

Did someone say something?

The thing I'm curious about Nico is, did wresting and tactics (and one other) stop when they hit 100, or did they train past 100?

G

This was probably that surprise Wilki was talking about when he left. I guess it is spoiled now.

A

Al Thorin

Well, yes and no.
While bola/ninja form are not directly tied to the dragon, the dragon -will- probably be the superior pet to use while doing it.

On a purely tamer perspective, it seems far from over powered, but I think ninja needs to be adjusted for followers on forms anyways.

G

I transferred the 912hp drag to Al Thorin for further field testing at 107+ wrestling and the other skills were low to high 90's. Neither Magery nor Eval Int budged past the figure (Magery GM+) it had on taming.

I still have the 721hp drag and have been starting to go to work on his training. He's just reached GM+ wrestling but his Tactics is creeping up well past GM so where it'll stop is anyone's guess. Again, no movement in Magery (GM+) or Eval (below GM).

The bad news is, they do not appear to be spawning on TC1 anymore.

I lored and then provoked off the entirety of the dragon spawn in Destard in both Tram and Fel with no Super Dragon respawn whatsoever. Can only suggest you keep ahold of yours if you want to be testing it.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

This was probably that surprise Wilki was talking about when he left. I guess it is spoiled now.

[/ QUOTE ]

MORE likely that any "change" Wilki "left in" ... aka "had submitted" was ready for QA reveiw ...

Already known:
(^^ points up thread)
Turns out that there was some stuff on TC1 that was totally not supposed to be there - QA hasn't even looked at it yet. We're pulling it down and returning it to the build that's on Origin right now (same as live but with database tweakage.)

MORE likely that "Wilki's change" is bod/crafting related .... more LIKELY than ONE buffed mobile ...

just saying ...

G

<blockquote><hr>

MORE likely that "Wilki's change" is bod/crafting related .... more LIKELY than ONE buffed mobile ...

[/ QUOTE ]What leads you to this belief? I mean, I'd kinda like to believe it, ya know?

<blockquote><hr>

just saying ...

[/ QUOTE ]And I'm just curious...

F

Fayled Dhreams

Simple deduction,
Bods WERE the last known thing he was working on ...
'member?
then ... this(here)

...So, having submitted my last change to UO (it's a surprise, but I think you'll like it), it's time for me to sign off from this account and continue down the path I was on back in the summer of 2004 - I'm heading back to school to finish my degree. From there, who knows what the future holds in store?

bods ... last change ...
*spins dials on calculaterium* ~~ ten days ...

My GUESS would be ... a "better" trade interface window (repairs/enhancements)

*shrugs* we'll see ...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

Can only suggest you keep ahold of yours if you want to be testing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Training isn't something I do just for the fun of it. You've answered the questions I had, so I expect my wimpy big bad dragon will languish in Test stables until the next wipe. As for Fayled, I personally think this is definitely the kind of thing that Wilki might have been hinting at when he said a surprise was coming. I mean, this is the first new permanent tameable since Modain's Legacy, and the first five slot pet, and dragons are being returned to the top of the food chain where they belong, so I think this is much bigger than "one buffed mobile." I think this is a huge deal, and judging by the reactions to it, others think so as well.

A

Al Thorin

Well, Gramps is fairing very well.
I think he might be eating too much, as he's not only usually eating what I offer him, he's also eating alot of handouts.

So far, I've died a couple times, yes I'm being a gate hugging panzyboy.
But in those few death, I see potential for this beast. Mobility is definatly a major concern here, so unless ninja forms are examined at the same time, I simply see ninja forms and this dragon to by overly strong.

Seems mages might ctually be fairing better, since they tend to stay further back, and I've lost count of the number of people who seem quite thrown off by the beast. I died in one case, watched my target die a moment later, two blues a few more moments later, then the targets friend. All attacked the dragon, obviusly not expecting the danger.

I would have to say, this is far from a 'instant' kill pet. While he quite reliably eats people, it's usually a visible, trackable event. As in, it's not a teleport, bite, fire breath, FS blink.

A beetle/mare combo has much higher burst damage, plus two magic sources, plus more specials.

I supose the fire breath could be toned down a bit. I've watched it take 2/3 of a lifebar.
Ninja forms, my main concern right there.

G

Could just be me, of course, however...the last known thing he was working on, one he laid out right here in black &amp; white with bullet-points &amp; everything, well, it wouldn't be much of a <u>surprise</u>, now would it?

A

Al Thorin

Well, regardless of who did it, the dragons are clearly an intentional creation.
Accidental release, yes, but their creation is quite intentional.
Good sign in my books.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

Could just be me, of course, however...the last known thing he was working on, one he laid out right here in black &amp; white with bullet-points &amp; everything, well, it wouldn't be much of a <u>surprise</u>, now would it?

[/ QUOTE ]
heheh, duh... no it wouldn't. To think that the last KNOWN thing (bullet-points &amp; everything) [was] the surprise.

going to an entirely different SYSTEM ...(bods to tameables) would be ... indeed, perhaps even BEYOND surprising ...

We'll "see" .... MAYBE ...
kinda sorta depends on whether or not "the change" makes it IN ... neh?
THEN a confirmation from wilki (yep! that is it) ... eh?

Just saying ... getting one change "finished" and slated (bods)
doesn't indicate, to me, that switching to an entirely unrelated SYSTEM(tameables)
in roughly 10 days time ....

not too likely from MY read on Wilki's "Style" to set hisself up for Failure ...

Besides... Leurocian is as far as I know, "the taming guru" ...
we'll see
got any quatloo to risk?

G

Oh lawdy, Llewen, training isn't something I do for fun either! And when I do train pets, I'll do just about anything but shadow ellie discord training if only because it bores me rigid and after all is said &amp; done, UO is what I do for, well, fun.

These Super Dragons may be a lucky, accidental preview. On the other hand, we may never ever get so much of a whiff of the glorious beasts on prodo shards. Either way, and especially given Jeremy's post about TC1 shard wipe, I wanted to see for myself the trained up capabilities of these critters for myself, test them in as many scenarios as possible in the time available to me, and that meant training them.

If your Super Dragon will really be languishing in the stables, I'd really love to take it off your hands and put it through some paces.

With enough of the critters, and with enough time on TC1 before a wipe, Winder &amp; I (and other helpful volunteers) might be able to replicate a choke-point scenario which would be helpful and (I believe) reassuring to the pvp community.

So I had fun taming the critters, and then I had to work a little to enjoy the benefits of as well as seeing the capabilities of a fairly well trained Super Dragon. I think it was a pretty good trade off, myself!

@ Fayled: I've come to the conclusion I'm probably happier not knowing for certain one way or t'other...No quatloo this round.

F

Fayled Dhreams

@ Fayled: I've come to the conclusion I'm probably happier not knowing for certain one way or t'other...No quatloo this round.

EXCELLENT choice ... 'tis a true tickle for the mind and soul, sometimes, to remain unaware of harsh realities ...

G

<blockquote><hr>

On checking both Destards, the Super Dragons are either no longer spawning on TC1, or the RNG is taking some kind of vengeance on me.

I've passed one of my two Super Dragons ("Gramps") to Al Thorin for his own special brand of field testing and I have one more which requires further training. I know Llewen has one on TC1 as does a friend from Europa. Apart from those, I've not actually seen any other Super Dragons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one (untrained) available for testing if the need arises, at 788 HP it aint the greatest example of this seemingly rare breed. Tamed it last week sometime.

G

Spudders, my dear! Thanks so much! If you dont think you'll be using it, you know all too well that I certainly will. At least now ya know where I've been, eh?

Trust me, it's still no slouch at 788hp, the one I have left is a paltry (!) 721hp and it's not in the habit of taking any prisoners.

Would love to see your drag's resists &amp; skills and, ya know, just check out all his majesty.

~Vix~

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Right now I'm finding it hard to get motivated to do anything in UO. I'm all worked up about the changes to runics, and now the new dragon, so it's hard to get motivated to do anything else while I wait for the next publish... I fear I shall never recover...

As for the new dragon, here is my take on it. It is not going to be as strong in pvp in normal situations as a beetle/bake or normal dragon/bake combination. Both of those have higher dps (damage per second), and in pvp dps is king.

However, it is going to be extremely useful in situation where you feel the need to kill some other tamer's pets, as there will be no other pet that will be able to stand up to it. I twill also be extremely useful in situations where you are outnumbered and you are worried about your baby getting ganked, because even with a reptile/dragon slayer, this beast is going to die very slowly.

The only combination that will likely be able to kill it with any speed will be a beetle combo with a discord tamer, and even at that it probably won't die before you can at least hit the much maligned emergency x. For me this survivability will be a very big deal as long as we have skill decay in pets. I would much rather die any die than have my pet(s) die, and I think any "real" tamer feels the same way.

However, in pvm, this new dragon may very well be the new top dog (so to speak). In pvm, in my opinion, survivability is king, and this new dragon will be the emperor. It still won't have the kill power of a beetle combo, or a pack, but it will make the perfect tank in group situations, and in solo situations against tough opponents, nothing will beat it. It won't be invincible, but it should make the tamer template much stronger in pvm than it currently is.

I really hope that it isn't weakened much, or at all, before it hits the production shards.

G

You see all the movies about fantasy Dragons.
The dragon there is the king and it shoud be in uo too.
So its the right direction that a Dragon in uo is stronger then a rhunebeetle or cu side.
1997 i went to destard at this time dragons were stronger and uo temlplates from the armor weaker and all player knights were dead in destard.
So on this way it shoud be the right direction.

W

Winder UO

Theres like 2 or 3 movies i know of only tho whos got these dragons tamed. So pls do not bring up movies etc.

G

In literature dragons have always been portrayed stronger and smarter than those in UO.. most lore show dragons as being a race that is older than the other races located in the fantasy world involved also...

Cant recall the name of one movie... Dennis Quaid (I think) is in it and Sean Connery does the voice of the dragon.. that is a good movie, least in dealing with the dragon as a race....

A

Al Thorin

Dragonheart
I enjoyed the movie quite a bit actually, but avoid the 2nd one.

G

yep thats the name of it... prolly the best of the dragon movies.. least in giving more life to them than just fire breathing monsters...

A

Al Thorin

Agreed, one of the few that didn't portray them as monsters, or used as weapons.

Plus, you can't go wrong with Sean Connery being a dragon.

G

It now seems that I was not crazy:

From http://update.uo.com/general.html :
<blockquote><hr>

Test Center 1 Status Feb 7 2008 5:15PM CST
As of February 7 2008 Test Center 1 has the following updates:
Certain Dragons have been buffed; they are now more powerful than Cu-Sidhe, Reptalons, or Hiryus but take 5 control slots

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool.

G

<blockquote><hr>

In literature dragons have always been portrayed stronger and smarter than those in UO.. most lore show dragons as being a race that is older than the other races located in the fantasy world involved also...

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that the dragons of UO, save for the few like Sudiva, seem unintelligent and less developed than fantasy legend, or even compared to the Ultima series itself, is I think lamentable.

Wilki has left us part of his legacy in reaffirming that Dragons are one of the ancient and great races. Thus you see new, more powerful dragons, and even greater ancient wyrms in this publish.

Dragons are important to UO - the Hildebrandt painting makes that pretty obvious! Hopefully there'll be time down the road to make it even more apparent.

G

Now that really IS exciting! =D I always wanted a real, proper dragon =D Of course, I most likely won't be able to tame one, but I can work towards it! =D

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could it be we can already have one of these greater Dragons tamed in our stable or will we have to go find us a new one?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Could it be we can already have one of these greater Dragons tamed in our stable or will we have to go find us a new one?

[/ QUOTE ]They're spawning as new dragons, still called "a dragon" though.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright! Some new toy for us tamers to find!

Will these new Dragons give more points when donating to the Zoo?

B

Babble

Have you checked if those superdragons can spawn as paragons and will they be 'limited'.

Can they still be killed then in a reasonable time/effort?

G

So I take it we who have Legacy Dragons and WW's might as well let them loose and tame these new dragons, wont happen with me thou I have had mine for over 8 years and I like them alot.So I will hunt with my lame old dragon or WW but if they take up 5 slots then I will be pissed

I

imported_NBG

Just did some taming in test and to be honest if you have a good healer it is not too hard to tame one of the super dragons. I found another random guy testing the new dragons and he healed me while I tamed. After about 5 deaths, it was tamed. the stats are pretty impressive it had 768 hp with magery already at 116+ and 100 wresting. Overall I think it would make a good tanking pet. The main trick to taming one I guess is to bring it down to 10% health then attempt the taming.

A

Al Thorin

They really arn't hard to solo lead tame either.
Tamed one no problem, died twice on the 2nd one (800 more hp on that one).

That was with only 110 taming.

Biggest killer is a fireball, followed by a teleport, melee hit, then parying yah before you can run and bitting you again

S

Sergul'zan_SP

While you're at it can you buff the Phoenix too? It used to be dreaded by players...

G

<blockquote><hr>

The fact that the dragons of UO, save for the few like Sudiva, seem unintelligent

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of intelligent...why is it that the best critter AI seems to be reserved for those incredibly dangerous (joke) spectral spellbinders in New Haven?

It's impossible to get those things stuck on anything...where everything else in the game seems to have incredible difficulty walking around a lamppost.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The fact that the dragons of UO, save for the few like Sudiva, seem unintelligent and less developed than fantasy legend, or even compared to the Ultima series itself, is I think lamentable.

Wilki has left us part of his legacy in reaffirming that Dragons are one of the ancient and great races. Thus you see new, more powerful dragons, and even greater ancient wyrms in this publish.

Dragons are important to UO - the Hildebrandt painting makes that pretty obvious! Hopefully there'll be time down the road to make it even more apparent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, THANK YOU, Wilki!

And thanks for the confirmation, too, Draconi!

@ Fayled: I so shoulda taken your quatloo and run...

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]They're spawning as new dragons, still called "a dragon" though.

[/ QUOTE ] If you Dev's followed true dragon lore,a tamer and others would be the ones that would be getting their brains washed by the dragon. The dragon would be the one that is getting new "pets".