• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Developer Meet And Greet Origin Shard March 20th, 2017

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You sir, are truely conflicted, and judging by post counts in that matter, I have been more active than you. Ever wonder about the banners under my username? Where's yours?
I quit playing the game for a number of years...2011 was the last time I posted until recently. I have been a part of the stratics community since 2000. Your banners mean little to me...noobie.

Oh and yes, again I don't care about arguing over the English language with the likes of you...thanks.

The rest...TLDR. But thanks for taking the time to respond...

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not possible to dupe powerscrolls unless they've changed them drastically. They are created differently than say a bank check. A bank check has a solid "Value" powerscrolls are created through a StringValue or something I can't really remember I could go through screenshots, and private message it. Think about them the same as items dropped off of Monsters. If you duped a non static i.e. "Artifact" item like a leather tunic with crazy mods and resists after duping it, it would just be it's plain static graphic a base leather tunic. Hope that helps..duping and being able to chain spawn after spawn on dead Shards then transferring are two different beasts. Both are extremely harmful to any economy..

I believe you have it wrong on the duping. Unless they did an entire re-code of the game since 2011, dupes still do exactly as they imply...turning 1 into 2. That is, when they work. This includes but is not limited to consumables, gear, rares, ect.

I don't see any issue with people farming dead shards. Some of those farmers set up shops there to offer goods to the locals who might otherwise have to transfer to get them...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I quit playing the game for a number of years...2011 was the last time I posted until recently. I have been a part of the stratics community since 2000. Your banners mean little to me...noobie.

Oh and yes, again I don't care about arguing over the English language with the likes of you...thanks.

The rest...TLDR. But thanks for taking the time to respond...
Of course you wouldn't, you have no idea what they're for.

It's funny, it says you're a member since 2008. Which means you'd have to had another username, meanwhile disregarding the possibility that this may not have been my only one. So either you're a liar bathroom boy, or you're an idiot. You decide.

Was that short enough for your comprehension?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Get a room...
You clearly have a limited scope about the whole house Kelmo...

It's clearly a space with four walls, a roof, and a floor. But it also can have a garage, a kitchen, a living room, some bedrooms, and a bathroom or two which everyone can use.

Don't worry, it's just semantics...

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe you have it wrong on the duping. Unless they did an entire re-code of the game since 2011, dupes still do exactly as they imply...turning 1 into 2. That is, when they work. This includes but is not limited to consumables, gear, rares, ect.

I don't see any issue with people farming dead shards. Some of those farmers set up shops there to offer goods to the locals who might otherwise have to transfer to get them...
Well around 2008-2010 there was a guy in guild with about 200 of every artifact(which I'm sure were legit) and explained it completely. But maybe

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course you wouldn't, you have no idea what they're for.

It's funny, it says you're a member since 2008. Which means you'd have to had another username, meanwhile disregarding the possibility that this may not have been my only one. So either you're a liar bathroom boy, or you're an idiot. You decide.

Was that short enough for your comprehension?
You realize Stratics was revamped in 2008 right? (oh wait, you don't considering you came here in 2014 right before it changed hands again) Unlike some others who did, I did not petition to have my post counts and born on date reverted.

Looks like you should do your homework before calling someone an idiot or a liar. I mean, one might get the understanding that you are trolling with personal attacks.

I digress, sometimes when people proclaim the world is flat you just have to pat them on the head and smile.

@kelmo, the least you could do is back me up friend...the two of us have had our back and forth's here since the open sign was put in the window. ;P

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You clearly have a limited scope about the whole house Kelmo...

It's clearly a space with four walls, a roof, and a floor. But it also can have a garage, a kitchen, a living room, some bedrooms, and a bathroom or two which everyone can use.

Don't worry, it's just semantics...
semantics: the language used to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings. I used this term broadly to define the nature of which you use language at an attempt to trick the other poster into a discussion you can control, just for the lol's.

For instance, referring to the tangibility of an item in a virtual world would be a good example of how a person might be forced into a discussion involving the semantics of the language used. While one could argue that inside the virtual world those items are real, you still leave the door open for the sake of trolling just in case you decide the conversation is not going the way you want.

So yeah, it is just semantics...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You realize Stratics was revamped in 2008 right? (oh wait, you don't considering you came here in 2014 right before it changed hands again) Unlike some others who did, I did not petition to have my post counts and born on date reverted.

Looks like you should do your homework before calling someone an idiot or a liar. I mean, one might get the understanding that you are trolling with personal attacks.

I digress, sometimes when people proclaim the world is flat you just have to pat them on the head and smile.

@kelmo, the least you could do is back me up friend...the two of us have had our back and forth's here since the open sign was put in the window. ;P
Again this was not my only username, and even knowing this you still didn't flinch. I can't help but laugh.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
semantics: the language used to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings. I used this term broadly to define the nature of which you use language at an attempt to trick the other poster into a discussion you can control, just for the lol's.

For instance, referring to the tangibility of an item in a virtual world would be a good example of how a person might be forced into a discussion involving the semantics of the language used. While one could argue that inside the virtual world those items are real, you still leave the door open for the sake of trolling just in case you decide the conversation is not going the way you want.

So yeah, it is just semantics...
We were never discussing the same matter let alone in different terms.

Your whole focus has been shifted towards the 14 vs 15 year vet correction, while my argument has been based on your entire response to me. More importantly, the correction was to point out the irony in your error as you insinuate my "limited scope" and then chalk it up as semantics along with the rest of your replies.

There was no semantics because you based your discussion on a false premise that I didn't make.

This isn't subterfuge or obfuscation or a "limited scope", you made an assumption and the mess is the last page or so was the result.

If you'd like to discuss something of substance from now on that's fine, but if you'd like to continue this disagreement I encourage you to PM so this is no longer at the expense of others.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
just noticed this so here:

tan·gi·ble
ˈtanjəb(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: tangible
  1. 1.
    perceptible by touch.
    "the atmosphere of neglect and abandonment was almost tangible"
    synonyms: touchable, palpable, material, physical, real, substantial, corporeal, solid, concrete; More
    visible, noticeable;
    actual, definite, clear, clear-cut, distinct, manifest, evident, unmistakable, perceptible, discernible
    "I'd prefer a reward more tangible than praise—say, cash"
    antonyms: abstract
noun
noun: tangible; plural noun: tangibles
  1. 1.
    a thing that is perceptible by touch.

Yes this would be a case of semantics, after the original declaration.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Gentlemen, please take this side conversation to PM. It has strayed far from the original topic of this thread.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gentlemen, please take this side conversation to PM. It has strayed far from the original topic of this thread.
1000 pardons...I would rather just put the turd on ignore...I just can't seem to find the darned function. ;)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
1000 pardons...I would rather just put the turd on ignore...I just can't seem to find the darned function. ;)
Listen, there are two points to take away from this:

You cannot hide your lack of comprehension behind a irrational semantics argument in either scenario.

You're trying to dismiss the importance of 14 vs 15 vet shields and the fact you got it wrong to begin with while referencing my understanding of the game. Which clearly you didn't, even having directly quoted me, as you've point out before.

Second, you cannot argue semantics for the rest, because they were not based in the same context.

It would be like this:

Garth: Apples
Me: Fuji
You: They're all grapefruit!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again this was not my only username, and even knowing this you still didn't flinch. I can't help but laugh.
The internet seems to filter out sarcasm, so what a person perceives is not always the same as what is implied.

Regarding usernames, I always felt one was enough. More honest that way...

If you consider how old a vet rewards is or if I recall that information as important, I feel sorry for you friend. I am not rainman, and I did just return to the game.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The internet seems to filter out sarcasm, so what a person perceives is not always the same as what is implied.

Regarding usernames, I always felt one was enough. More honest that way...

If you consider how old a vet rewards is or if I recall that information as important, I feel sorry for you friend. I am not rainman, and I did just return to the game.
Sure.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
So... We were discussing the potential ramifications of shard binding power scrolls and perhaps other items. Would this benefit some of the less populated shards? Is status quo preferable?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont like the concept of shard bound anything. If they didnt want stuff transferred shard to shard and a world economy created, they shouldnt have created transfers. Either shard bound it all, or shard bound nothing...

Just my .02

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
World economy? How is that working?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Working fine for me. I live on Legends, make a shopping trip a few times a year when I need to. When I get a surplus of something I can go sell it, too.

The devs really need to decide if they want world economy, or shard bound everything. Cant have it both ways. On anything. The need to make up their minds.

Grandaddy always said, "Straddling the fence will give you a sore crotch!"

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Problems with making a bunch of junk shard bound is what happens when you decide to move??? Try and sell all your junk... no one will buy it and you won't be able to get what you had on the new shard...

IMO they ought to shard bind the EM Event drops if anything.... otherwise stop the non-sense.

bmwtech

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Shard bound power scrolls are a poor idea. It is a cheap trick to appeal to the pvp'er/murders in the game. If they do then power scrolls should drop in tram spawns too. Why should people work a spawn to be robbed of the power scrolls. If they are shard bound make them blessed which would take away the motive for murdering players that worked the spawn. guys hide in the star chamber and kill players there. Just a bad idea that appeals to a small group that pvp's. What is the sense of cartering to a small group of players.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Shard bound power scrolls are a poor idea. It is a cheap trick to appeal to the pvp'er/murders in the game. If they do then power scrolls should drop in tram spawns too. Why should people work a spawn to be robbed of the power scrolls. If they are shard bound make them blessed which would take away the motive for murdering players that worked the spawn. guys hide in the star chamber and kill players there. Just a bad idea that appeals to a small group that pvp's. What is the sense of cartering to a small group of players.
Greed. That is the bottom line. Those who control the spice control the world. And those that control the PS's ...... force everyone else to pay their price. Funny how we are led to believe that we could just "get our own" and do a spawn.... I call Bull*****..... no not everyone can. If you don't PvP and don't like that playstyle you aren't going to get your own.... especially not on a shard with a healthy Fel PvP population.

Many folk feel like you... Shouldn't have to force the sheep to fel... Honestly if the sheep wanted to be slaughtered they would go to Fel Yew Gate... but they don't.

So often they go to the really unpopulated shards to do them in relative peace... though I won't say that you don't get the same BS on those shards... Personally I try not to ever take the star room... that's just advertising what you are doing... But if you aren't slaughtered in the Star Room it's a group that waits till you are down to 1/2 health or less and pop out of the shadows in pairs of 2 or 3 stealth archers and kill you take all your stuff.

Either way reminds me of old days spending hours on end mining only to have some schmuck come along kill you and take all your hard work. Either way how someone is supposed to find that "fun" .... I don't know. Sure if you are the "winner" and the one taking everything and you don't suffer loss time and time again I'm sure it was fun... but for the rest of the people losing everything again and again... Not really fun. Infact it's why my Brother always gave me crap about playing UO..... He called it a P.O.S. and wouldn't ever play it again... which is the experience of countless folk I've met in other games... Playing Landmark and such with a bunch of EQ players... I met dozens of former UO players... most of whom were amazed people still played the game and most of them shared the same sentiment as my brother.... it was a P.O.S. and they would never play it again... be it because of rampant Pk's, the cheating, losing everything they cared about because of some thing or another they felt they were wronged.. Sadly that seems to be a legacy that UO has left on quite a number of folk. From every online game I've played I've heard those same things... most that left didn't leave on a good note. They harbor some sort of resentment or disgust. Be it with EA Games or with the Game in general... how they were treated by other players... etc... the game left a bitter taste. Sometimes it was because of some publish they hated, some change that "ruined" the game for them... some harassment they endured and the powers that be wouldn't do anything about.

I think back to what endeared me to UO... and it was the community I played with. The years spent with the Yew Militia and the RP community of GLs... And even many other people playing on GLs... those in MOA, Outty of The UnRuled... and some of the other TUR, Orcs from the Bloodrock Clan... Members of the Guardians of Valhalla... many of whom I kept in touch with for a long time. But most of them are gone now. Moved on to other games. I enjoyed the Events, driving back Orcs and such out of towns like Moonglow, Britain... the Vanguard... Minax's forces with the lighthouses, the Generals and such that we fought... was fun... Didn't seem like a big grind... enjoyed the Treasures of Tokuno... all the global events... now it's reduced to 1 or 2 hours a week of a small something with the EMs where it's plagued by people acting like a bunch of jerks, foul language (though I will say I am guilty of cursing like a sailor though not in game)... and most of the hunting and such is a big grind that usually results in getting NOTHING... boring. Feels like hours wasted to have everything taken away like old days. I miss the RP PvP... though sometimes that brought so much drama... but much of it was enjoyable. But much of that has gone now... replaced with greed and soloism... now hard to get a group of more than 2 or 3 together... hard to find folk who want to do things as a group and hard to find somewhere to take a group that lasts more than 10 min.... and makes everyone happy..... most want to know what they can get from it and how much that's worth.... and they measure "fun" by profit.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think shard bound powerscrolls is a good idea. A better way to keep more scrolls on small shards would be to change the vendor system, so it doesnt cost money every day an item is in the vendor, but once when you put it in. So you wont make any loss in profit or even a loss at all when an item doesnt sell fast. This way you would see way more items on small shards including powerscrolls.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Simple! Remove shard transfer tokens, you want a transfer because your realm is dying then message a GM and get them to transfer you. They'll know if people are abusing it then, Either that or make a shard transfer 25 bucks alone then we'll see who the real cheap filthy duping cheats are because they'll vanish.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Simple! Remove shard transfer tokens, you want a transfer because your realm is dying then message a GM and get them to transfer you. They'll know if people are abusing it then, Either that or make a shard transfer 25 bucks alone then we'll see who the real cheap filthy duping cheats are because they'll vanish.
There are so many things wrong with this post. So many I'm not even going to bother listing them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Unfortunately there are enough of them to monitor the spawn points even on dead shards.
Aye... Hence my inability to do spawns anymore... I can't finish them by myself fast enough to avoid conflict. So I quit doing them. As with many things in the game... one by one I no longer do so many things in-game I once enjoyed... much of the "fun" is gone for me now.

I don't now nor have I really found PvP ever to be fun save when it was in RP... and had some sort of purpose... and the outcome actually mattered... since I can't PvP effectively and fight back against 2 or 4 invaders at the spawn... it lacks any fun... I'm moderate to OK at PvM... but again not fast enough to really do things on my own... i've tried using a sampire but I hate the templates and obviously lack the proficiency to use them effectively so often I die and get overwhelmed as it seems my character freezes up quite often and refuses to swing or do the WW to save itself and often dies... locked up frozen.... rather annoying and I just often hate it... I don't find sampires "fun".... mostly I enjoy two types of characters Tamers and Archers... mostly only use my ABC archer... and a wide variety of tamers... but none of them are effective at much of anything anymore..... especially solo...

If I cared to multi-box I'm sure I could field and army of tamers... but I refuse to exploit the game in that manner...

Instead I find myself playing UO less and less all the time... and the joy I once had for the game is waning... soon I imagine the candle I have long held for my beloved game will extinguish... and I'll be gone.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why? Would this mess you up in game or...?
That depends. Would you consider it messing up my game if the game no longer existed? Let me explain.

1. You take away transfer tokens
Result: You P.O a very large portion of your customers while at the same time cutting a large amount of revenue. Not a wise business move.

2. Having GMs handle transfers
Result: Seriously? You really think this is even remotely an idea that won't lead to complete and total chaos?