• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Derragatory Comments

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
"Nice die", "You suck", "quit pvp", "nice dodge" (all of which I use, unless provoked) etc. is fine, IMO. When people go overboard on the sh*t-talking and get particularly nasty, it should be dealt with by the GM's...which isn't happening.
The problem is... where exactly is the line? Are they going to draw a hard red line or is this going to be another one of those lines in the sand that just doesn't get enforced? Does this include all sh*t-talking? Or what about just regular gen chat trolling and pointless arguments that take over the whole channel? Point being... where does it begin and where does it end and is it really worth the limited developer resources to start policing this?

We see accusations of corruption all the time around here (and almost always unfounded), but if we gave a non-paid GM person the power to put people in 'chat prison' or some other type of ban or punishment, we are going to then immediately see calls of favoritism and the like. I'm afraid it's a lose-lose situation to try and regulate in-game GenChat at this point.

Additionally, and I know you've all heard this before, but people have the option of changing Gen Chat channels if they don't like what they see. Or blocking people. I know some people don't like that this is their only option, but I'm afraid its what people will have to live with for now.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem is... where exactly is the line? Are they going to draw a hard red line or is this going to be another one of those lines in the sand that just doesn't get enforced? Does this include all sh*t-talking? Or what about just regular gen chat trolling and pointless arguments that take over the whole channel? Point being... where does it begin and where does it end and is it really worth the limited developer resources to start policing this?

We see accusations of corruption all the time around here (and almost always unfounded), but if we gave a non-paid GM person the power to put people in 'chat prison' or some other type of ban or punishment, we are going to then immediately see calls of favoritism and the like. I'm afraid it's a lose-lose situation to try and regulate in-game GenChat at this point.

Additionally, and I know you've all heard this before, but people have the option of changing Gen Chat channels if they don't like what they see. Or blocking people. I know some people don't like that this is their only option, but I'm afraid its what people will have to live with for now.

Or just not use chat at all. I NEVER have it on on ATL and I don't miss it one bit. Of course if anyone tries to call me out they are probably going to think I'm an arrogant jerk lol

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
One question I was tempted to ask during the recent Stratics buy-out campaign was how much Stratics was being paid each month by Broadsword given that, unlike EVERY MMO ON PLANET EARTH, they have no community site and no community managers.
To answer your question: Stratics does not receive any compensation whatsoever from Broadsword for hosting the site or any other service the staff performs -- and if they ever have, I am not aware of it. Every Stratics staff member works on a volunteer basis.)
In this era community management ranks on par with development. Even the most detached online game publisher - the ones that become simple game site aggregators shoveling Korean games onto western audiences - have community managers and these folks shave every dollar, every Euro, every Yen. But NOT COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT and not in a single language, but in every tongue spoken by customers.

Community managers - good ones - exist for even the third tier online games on Steam. And the last guy let go from a Ukrainian offering (a decent game that never gained traction) like Epic Arena was their community manager. This is the online game business RIGHT NOW and we have not a one. Stratics does that for us. We do that for us.

So I ask the question, always this question: how do I win from here? If Stratics is not getting monthly income from BS they need to demand it, along with very specific levels of developer participation. If they don't get it, go dark. Strike.
You have some interesting and valid points in the above, I think...but insofar as Stratics being paid for the service and support it provides for UO and Broadsword, it's worth examining the other side of the coin. Should we ever enter into such an arrangement, it would almost certainly come at the cost of our ability to make independent decisions and policy, with the community's needs as our primary motivator.

In other words: Compensation begets Obligation. We strongly believe that Stratics' independence offers the best scenario for our community in the long term.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree 100%, now come here you big trammie and lets hug it out.

Back on topic I think people being derogatory in chat and game makes it more interesting, there's too much PC bs irl already why drag this into a game.
I love how in most cases when I hear it mentioned, that being "PC" means "not being a ****", and that's frowned upon. :p

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
To answer your question: Stratics does not receive any compensation whatsoever from Broadsword for hosting the site or any other service the staff performs -- and if they ever have, I am not aware of it. Every Stratics staff member works on a volunteer basis.)

You have some interesting and valid points in the above, I think...but insofar as Stratics being paid for the service and support it provides for UO and Broadsword, it's worth examining the other side of the coin. Should we ever enter into such an arrangement, it would almost certainly come at the cost of our ability to make independent decisions and policy, with the community's needs as our primary motivator.

In other words: Compensation begets Obligation. We strongly believe that Stratics' independence offers the best scenario for our community in the long term.
Sounds nice on the face of it, even noble. But I wonder if it's more obligation without compensation.

You get your independence, certainly. You also "get" to cover the primary community site for a for-profit online game developer and publisher 24/7.

You are responsible for it. You take the responsibility seriously and to professional lengths. The game supported here gets to avoid spending a farthing in online game and community support despite being a subscription based game. This is normally a cost of doing business as essential as electricity, bandwidth, servers and office space.

But that's a bit abstract and subjective. Adding coin to a volunteer effort can be ruinous too. They don't support you financially, fine. But they need to support you in my view. Helps them, helps the climate and tone here, helps the game.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This topic is exactly what I tried to warn about 3 years ago when some thought the boards should be more of a pissing match so to speak.

Funny that one doesn't post anymore on these boards and another hardly posts that much. They got their wish. I have watched the downward spiral in the past year be faster that the previous 2 years.

It's not about being PC. It's more about being more civil. If the new board feels that Stratics should be a free for all then it just hurts the site.

If the new board would take charge on instigators/trolls then they are deemed to harsh.

It's up to them how they may want to handle it. My advice is to grow some balls and take a stand on what direction they want Stratics to go. They should stand by that decision and live by it or you die by it.

Look back on the boards and see how much the current devs posted in the past and look at it today. The pattern speaks for itself. I don't blame the devs for it. Why should they be the target for not posting when its a flame fest very thread anymore. The minority of the player base only posts on game forums while the majority are actually enjoying and playing the game. The minority is what the boards cater to.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I feel the board had been ruled very well the last 2 years, there had been a fine balance. We had seen less locked threads and I believe less banned posters. The mods had taking the issues to PM's and solved them without other posters saw it.
I support the staff now, for the way they run the forum and keep it peaceful.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This topic is exactly what I tried to warn about 3 years ago when some thought the boards should be more of a pissing match so to speak.

Funny that one doesn't post anymore on these boards and another hardly posts that much. They got their wish. I have watched the downward spiral in the past year be faster that the previous 2 years.

It's not about being PC. It's more about being more civil. If the new board feels that Stratics should be a free for all then it just hurts the site.

If the new board would take charge on instigators/trolls then they are deemed to harsh.

It's up to them how they may want to handle it. My advice is to grow some balls and take a stand on what direction they want Stratics to go. They should stand by that decision and live by it or you die by it.

Look back on the boards and see how much the current devs posted in the past and look at it today. The pattern speaks for itself. I don't blame the devs for it. Why should they be the target for not posting when its a flame fest very thread anymore. The minority of the player base only posts on game forums while the majority are actually enjoying and playing the game. The minority is what the boards cater to.
I feel like the board is the same as its more or less always been, and it seems pretty good to me. Maybe that's just me.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel the board had been ruled very well the last 2 years, there had been a fine balance. We had seen less locked threads and I believe less banned posters. The mods had taking the issues to PM's and solved them without other posters saw it.
I support the staff now, for the way they run the forum and keep it peaceful.

As I stated in my post look at the devs posting less now then they did before. If I am wrong then why are there more topics and posts complaining about the lack of communication from the devs are becoming more common now days? Even less people are posting anymore but hey what do I know. The proof is in the fact why others have gone to other UO sites and BS is making their own wiki.

I feel like the board is the same as its more or less always been, and it seems pretty good to me. Maybe that's just me.
It could be just you :)

IMO I think the board currently has more open talks and the "problems" are handled internally instead of externally which I rather prefer. Hats off to the current team I think they are doing good.

Really? I am 100% sure that in that one topic, in basic terms, you were being called a cry baby, that would of been ended and posts removed. I mean you do QQ a lot if you don't like the topic or get your way at times but if you feel the boards are fine then great :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
perhaps it is because she isnt a cry baby...she is adult enough to accept criticism as being fair even if she doesnt agree with said opinion. Mal and I disagree on somethings...other things we agree on...we both are old enough and mature enough to know that the world isnt ending and one of us doesnt have to quit because we disagree.

If the devs dont want to come here...great we shouldnt have to kiss their collective asses! They arent babies and shouldnt need baby gloves.

They have a company willing to run a set of game forums at no cost to them...they should be jumping for joy! They should be bending over backwards to kiss Stratics's asses to thank them. Most companies actually have to hire and pay employees to moderate their forums...I know this because I have friends that do this for a living!

Every criticism leveled at broadsword is fair and just because it is being given by a paying customer. They are obligated to listen to this customer...even if they disagree, deescalate said customer and make changes necessary to reduce the issue going forward. It is called customer service.... broadsword either forgot it or dont give a crap.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
As I stated in my post look at the devs posting less now then they did before.
They are only 5 Devs, I don't want them to use all their time on the forum, I want them do work on making the game better and they had done great. The last years Expansion had been great to the game and all help heal the game after Ages of Shadows. It truly had been years of shadows since 2003 where we got that diaster of an expension.

Really? I am 100% sure that in that one topic, in basic terms, you were being called a cry baby, that would of been ended and posts removed. I mean you do QQ a lot if you don't like the topic or get your way at times but if you feel the boards are fine then great :)
I don't think a post should be removed just because someone do not agree and happen to say someone is crying. When people say the same over and over again, they must accept someone forget to be polite. Not all are wise enough to know, when it's time to stop replying.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Mal and I disagree on somethings...other things we agree on...we both are old enough and mature enough to know that the world isnt ending and one of us doesnt have to quit because we disagree.
Same here, MalegAste and I will never agree when it comes to PvP, Fel/Tram, VvV, but when it comes to other stuff we seem to agree a lot, also about the way this forum are ruled :p

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I do not agree the devs need to be communicating with us able every little thing they do. If they are about to release something, then go ahead and communicate that but otherwise, my hand life keeps going on. As stated previously, I works rather have then develop the game than have to start maintaining a forum or wiki.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't read the whole thread but it would be nice to keep pvp trash talk out of general chat...

I am not a big trash talker...the occasional smart assed quip maybe, but I look at it this way....Gen chat is kinda for for pvp. RP chat has their channel,
pvm has guild chat and party chat....

if you dont want to listen to gen chat....turn it off. I have friends who do that and dont miss anything

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
perhaps it is because she isnt a cry baby...she is adult enough to accept criticism as being fair even if she doesnt agree with said opinion. Mal and I disagree on somethings...other things we agree on...we both are old enough and mature enough to know that the world isnt ending and one of us doesnt have to quit because we disagree.

If the devs dont want to come here...great we shouldnt have to kiss their collective asses! They arent babies and shouldnt need baby gloves.

They have a company willing to run a set of game forums at no cost to them...they should be jumping for joy! They should be bending over backwards to kiss Stratics's asses to thank them. Most companies actually have to hire and pay employees to moderate their forums...I know this because I have friends that do this for a living!

Every criticism leveled at broadsword is fair and just because it is being given by a paying customer. They are obligated to listen to this customer...even if they disagree, deescalate said customer and make changes necessary to reduce the issue going forward. It is called customer service.... broadsword either forgot it or dont give a crap.
This is true if I don't like what you are saying I'll either call you out on it or continue to argue my point of view. I honestly don't care if you like it or not. Not crying over being called anything... Sticks and Stones babie...

I have a point of view and I'm not afraid to be the squeaky wheel either. You can't voice your opinion without making some noise. And I sometimes and very passionate about my opinion.. doesn't make it bad. It's mine.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just don't see what either of those things has to do with being an *******.
I didn't think you would. I was talking to someone that would understand. <= That was a derogatory statement against you. For you and those that doesn't understand the statement it would sound like I'm being an a** ****

A derogatory statement can be used for criticism in order to show a sign of disappointment with regard to a statement that was said. The more aggressive the statement usually the more disappointed that person.

Since I'm arguing a negative without any reason other then to defend the actions of that negative. This debate is not going to go anyplace.

I will say this. Derogatory statements does help improve communication by allow people to freely express themselves.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am not a big trash talker...the occasional smart assed quip maybe, but I look at it this way....Gen chat is kinda for for pvp. RP chat has their channel,
pvm has guild chat and party chat....

if you dont want to listen to gen chat....turn it off. I have friends who do that and dont miss anything
Wasn't pointing at you or anyone, though I would say, general chat isn't for pvp, #pvp would be for pvp, general chat for...general chat. :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasn't pointing at you or anyone, though I would say, general chat isn't for pvp, #pvp would be for pvp, general chat for...general chat. :)
Oh I know but no one uses the pvp channel.....and the only thing I hear in gen chat is people spaming items for sale and pvp trash talk

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't think you would. I was talking to someone that would understand. <= That was a derogatory statement against you. For you and those that doesn't understand the statement it would sound like I'm being an a** ****

A derogatory statement can be used for criticism in order to show a sign of disappointment with regard to a statement that was said. The more aggressive the statement usually the more disappointed that person.

Since I'm arguing a negative without any reason other then to defend the actions of that negative. This debate is not going to go anyplace.

I will say this. Derogatory statements does help improve communication by allow people to freely express themselves.
Right you are being disrespectful for no reason, we call that being an *******. I understand what you are saying, I just think it's stupid. There is that better? :D

You CAN talk any way you want to, but then you are needlessly rude to people crying "PC" when people don't like it is assinine. If you are respectful, and employ tact, you can accomplish the exact same results (and I would argue much better results) without being rude.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do you say it's needless? I completely disagree with your view of limiting our way of communication.
I believe I should say that in a strong way.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do you say it's needless? I completely disagree with your view of limiting our way of communication.
I believe I should say that in a strong way.
1) I'm not for limiting anything. I'm for people taking responsibility for the way they act. If you want to be rude, go ahead, but don't act like it's the fault of the audience when your tone gets criticized.

2) You can speak strongly with tact. When you use derogatory language rather than clear, honest, strong language, you will tend to end conversations, and start fights. It's simply not a good tool for conversation.

3) It's needless because you never NEED to be rude. Everyone is rude on occasion. I can be quite an ass, myself, but there's a difference between occasionally acting poorly to celebrating such actions. I really don't have much of an issue with people being rude, unless they do so habitually, with abandon and or pride. In that case they are indeed, imo, worthy of disdain.

In most instances when people cry "PC" are generally those who feel entitled to say whatever whenever and expect they should not be criticized, which of course is unreasonable.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Didn't read the whole thread but it would be nice to keep pvp trash talk out of general chat...
When it comes to in game gen chat, PvP trash talk is a part of PvP. If Devs just would allow us to be in more than one chat at the time, I believe you would see less PvP talk in gen chat if they could be in a PvP chat too.
Maybe make it so you could listen to several chats at the same time, Help, General, Trading, PvP, but only post in one at the time. Make you choose one as primary and that would be the one you would post in.
It would also help Trial accounts, who can only use help chat. If you choose to listen to it, it would be easy to make it to primary for a few mins to reply to a new player.
If you don't like PvP talk, don't listen to that chat.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When it comes to in game gen chat, PvP trash talk is a part of PvP. If Devs just would allow us to be in more than one chat at the time, I believe you would see less PvP talk in gen chat if they could be in a PvP chat too.
Maybe make it so you could listen to several chats at the same time, Help, General, Trading, PvP, but only post in one at the time. Make you choose one as primary and that would be the one you would post in.
It would also help Trial accounts, who can only use help chat. If you choose to listen to it, it would be easy to make it to primary for a few mins to reply to a new player.
If you don't like PvP talk, don't listen to that chat.

Ok I just got done doing some sPvP in GW2 with my 11 year daughter. We was in 10 matches (won 8) tonight with random pugs 4 on each team. My Guardian rocks like no other.

No trash talked happened at all and while we in the sPvP lobby the only debate that was heated was about Apple and how other companies tries copy it and not once did anybody cuss. Even if they tried its bleeped out automatically. Not one after any match ( there was other matches going on besides ours) losers or winners was not trash talking in the sPvP lobby. To be honest I have never ever seen any trash anytime I ever been in sPvP. In WvW we cant talk to the other side.

I really don't understand the need to say the things that are said in UO after killing somebody or was killed. Maybe its just UO version of geritol.

So maybe that's what UO should do is have different channel for PvP only so the general chat is not cluttered up with it. General chat should be just General chat. PvP chat should be PvP chat only.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I really don't understand the need to say the things that are said in UO after killing somebody or was killed. Maybe its just UO version of geritol.

So maybe that's what UO should do is have different channel for PvP only so the general chat is not cluttered up with it. General chat should be just General chat. PvP chat should be PvP chat only.
In UO, the PvP trash talk may be a bad effect of the split, we don't really see much of it on Siege and if we do, we can punish the ones who annoy us.

I do understand, if alot Trammel only players are annoying of listen to the PvP talk, and do believe it sounds really bad in their ears, even it for the PvP players just are a different way, to invite someone to a fight or tell they feel good about killing an enemy.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make up your mind
About what? Those two statements are not incongruous.

Being critical of someone isn't limiting their speech, neither is pointing out that they don't need to be derogatory to be critical or show your disapproval. I can't stop you from saying anything, and I don't have a desire to.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Here's the bottom line where I'm concerned. As I said earlier, when I decide to post something, I think of a tactful way to say what I have to say. I do so out of a sense of respect for the fellow players. Even during disagreements, I use tact to get my point across. Sometimes it takes a lot of patience, and sometimes I finally have to just give up, since there are people in the world that simply cannot see an opinion as valid unless it melds with their own. In the latter case, it's easier to just bow out gracefully than it is to go on a tirade and insult the other person (which I do in my head).

When I read, I look for the intelligent conversation. As I see it, if a discussion devolves to insults or anger, the point is lost at that point, and it's time to move on. I'm much more apt to join in if the conversation is heated but still tactful than I am if all I see is, "you're a(n) [insert derogatory comment here]!" If I do anything, it's attempt to curtail further insults to try and steer the conversation back to the topic at hand. If that fails, I move on.

If all you can do is insult, belittle or harass another player, I personally don't care if the moderators ignore you outright, delete your post, suspend you or ban you. In any event, I won't bother giving what you say much attention, and I'll probably eventually ignore you completely, even if your opinion is valid at some point. Call it one of my character traits or character flaws, whichever you prefer.

DISCLAIMER: This post was not targeted to any specific player/poster. It's merely how I see things.

NOTE: I do have a nasty habit of using disclaimers... a lot.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's the bottom line where I'm concerned. As I said earlier, when I decide to post something, I think of a tactful way to say what I have to say. I do so out of a sense of respect for the fellow players. Even during disagreements, I use tact to get my point across. Sometimes it takes a lot of patience, and sometimes I finally have to just give up, since there are people in the world that simply cannot see an opinion as valid unless it melds with their own. In the latter case, it's easier to just bow out gracefully than it is to go on a tirade and insult the other person (which I do in my head).

When I read, I look for the intelligent conversation. As I see it, if a discussion devolves to insults or anger, the point is lost at that point, and it's time to move on. I'm much more apt to join in if the conversation is heated but still tactful than I am if all I see is, "you're a(n) [insert derogatory comment here]!" If I do anything, it's attempt to curtail further insults to try and steer the conversation back to the topic at hand. If that fails, I move on.

If all you can do is insult, belittle or harass another player, I personally don't care if the moderators ignore you outright, delete your post, suspend you or ban you. In any event, I won't bother giving what you say much attention, and I'll probably eventually ignore you completely, even if your opinion is valid at some point. Call it one of my character traits or character flaws, whichever you prefer.

DISCLAIMER: This post was not targeted to any specific player/poster. It's merely how I see things.

NOTE: I do have a nasty habit of using disclaimers... a lot.
Good post! Another thing about being habitually rude, it inculcates an air of combat. I've been on forums where posts simply cannot fail to get personal. It usually happens within 5 posts. Why? Because the regular users have been calling each others idiots for so many years that they see each other as hated rivals, not members of the same community. It's not a good way to do things, unless your goal is simply to argue meaninglessly.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In UO, the PvP trash talk may be a bad effect of the split, we don't really see much of it on Siege and if we do, we can punish the ones who annoy us.

I do understand, if alot Trammel only players are annoying of listen to the PvP talk, and do believe it sounds really bad in their ears, even it for the PvP players just are a different way, to invite someone to a fight or tell they feel good about killing an enemy.

You have to see past the Siege shard. Seige can punish anyone for anything at anytime. We know your dedication and love for the shard.

I have no issue with a player smarting back to one who may have trashed talk him into a fight. I am suggesting they shouldn't have to use general chat to spew out cuss words with it. In truth why even do it. The best reaction is just to kill them and ignore the banter. That may infuriate the instigator more at first but once they don't get the reaction they crave they may curb their habits.

UO biggest flaw is the general chat. How could anybody try to interest a younger player in their early teens or child to play knowing they have to turn off a feature so the kid can play without seeing cuss words a flying on the screen. As adults we are the example that our children should look upon. I lose my temper from time to time with my employees or business partners but I also know not to talk in front of my daughter in those situations. I do not insult the person either but cuss words will drop. In UO I really don't want to hear the choice excuse. Yes they can choose to turn it off but in the end GC is to help new players and old.

The sad part of it is it's not kids talking this way. Its old adults acting like a young teenager being able to cuss with their friends without any parents around. There are more creative ways to insult anybody without using cuss words. Players have to be able to get past those one brain cell insults and be more creative.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Really, I doubt UO do draw many 10 years olds, there are so many games out there.
I really don't know how bad Gen Chat is on normal shards, but I don't believe it can be that bad.
I would not be so worried for the kids, there will always be someone in the chat, in their guild or their parent, who will help them understand, what is right and wrong.
I know that may sound hard, but you can't cover your kids in cotton for ever. Kid can be really nasty to each others in the real world.

If I had kids, I would try to find a more peaceful shard than Atlantic for them to play on, with a smaller community, that know each others and speak with them about what do happen in game.

I do believe being able to listen to more than one chat and having a PvP chat would help keeping Gen Chat more clean.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you are being disrespectful for no reason, we call that being an *******.
1) I'm not for limiting anything.

I said, "Make up your mind"

About what? Those two statements are not incongruous.

Being critical of someone isn't limiting their speech, neither is pointing out that they don't need to be derogatory to be critical or show your disapproval. I can't stop you from saying anything, and I don't have a desire to.
let me try again.

You're first post you said, "If you are unhappy, make your stance by leaving and not paying."
Which being disrespectful would fall under that category.

Then you said, "you are being disrespectful"

In essence you told me to "leave and not pay" or "get the hell out."
In other words your being disrespectful.

This is hypocrisy by definition.

I said, "make up your mind" which is a nice way of saying you're a hypocrite.

See how this works? Discipline can help people if they listen. Including myself.

Last edited:

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Really, I doubt UO do draw many 10 years olds, there are so many games out there.
I really don't know how bad Gen Chat is on normal shards, but I don't believe it can be that bad.
I would not be so worried for the kids, there will always be someone in the chat, in their guild or their parent, who will help them understand, what is right and wrong.
I know that may sound hard, but you can't cover your kids in cotton for ever. Kid can be really nasty to each others in the real world.

If I had kids, I would try to find a more peaceful shard than Atlantic for them to play on, with a smaller community, that know each others and speak with them about what do happen in game.

I do believe being able to listen to more than one chat and having a PvP chat would help keeping Gen Chat more clean.
I can tell you that the general chat on Lake Superior IS that bad. I'm not a prude by any means, but the stuff that was being talked about in general chat on Wednesday made me shut it down. It was that bad.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can tell you that the general chat on Lake Superior IS that bad. I'm not a prude by any means, but the stuff that was being talked about in general chat on Wednesday made me shut it down. It was that bad.
You should see Gen Chat on Great Lakes. Somedays it's like you might hear less cursing at a Sailors Convention... and the personal attacks that go to RL threats is just shocking... yet other times it's all about trade.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Can I suggest go to the help channel? The actual new players are defaulted to the help channel and believe no one is on. Who wants to play a Muliti player game with no one?

BTW - this thread was about discussions on stratics not general chat.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Looks like we need an easy way to report something said in Gen Chat, so the GM's easy could see the piece of the chat, where it happen and maybe easy see the last lines that said of the one reported and the reporter.
Then the GM should be able to kick the trouble makers account from the chats for x hours. If it happen several times, kick him from chats for xx days. A PvP chat should be excluded, he should still be able to post there.
I believe that would learn most to behave as no one like to be forced silent.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're first post you said, "If you are unhappy, make your stance by leaving and not paying."
Which being disrespectful would fall under that category.
First of all... I didn't say that. I don't even know what you could be referring to. Are you referring to my first post to you? My first post in this thread? Either way, I didn't say that or anything like it in either.

Secondly, even if I had said that, I don't see how that could be construed as a derogatory comment, unless it came with more text, because there's nothing rude about that statement at all.

Then you said, "you are being disrespectful"

In essence you told me to "leave and not pay" or "get the hell out."
In other words your being disrespectful.

It's true I was being rude by saying *******. Like I said, I am rude all the time, but it's because I am being thoughtless, not because I celebrate being rude, or feel that it's a necessity. Honestly, I was speaking more generally anyway because I don't think you have been that rude if at all.

The subtextual meaning you are drawing out of a supposed "you are being disrespectful" is, to be generous, a pretty big leap. Telling someone they are being disrespectful does not equate to telling someone to leave, nor is it disrespectful, let alone derogatory.

I said, "make up your mind" which is a nice way of saying you're a hypocrite.

See how this works? Discipline can help people if they listen. Including myself.
I understand what you were trying to say, I was just saying that I didn't agree with the accusation. You took my "your are being disrespectful" to mean "get out of here" which it didn't. Even if it did, I have no power to make you leave and have no control over what you do or say.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh, reminds me when I played Rocket Leauge. So many people told me to commit suicide or hoped that I would get cancer, or called me any number of slurs and epithets...over RC cars playing soccer. It was absurd.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't say that

I copied and pasted your statement.

Again you said, "If you are unhappy, make your stance by leaving and not paying."

Explain what it means then. Since you didn't say it.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, I will go back the topic too
I don't mind at all if the conversations moves to different issues. That is exactly what I want is for people to talk about issues openly without restraints. I'm trying to say in this case there are two forums we're talking about. That might get mixed up which one where talking about. Which form that is discussed should be made very clear.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I copied and pasted your statement.

Again you said, "If you are unhappy, make your stance by leaving and not paying."

Explain what it means then. Since you didn't say it.
I didn't say that. The OP Deep Ellum Dan did. :p

I still don't see how that could be classified as a derogatory statement, but I won't expand on that because I don't want to put words in his mouth.