• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #11: Daemons, begone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elyssar

Daemons, one of man's oldest foes, are a big part of Ultima, especially for characters capable of bringing them down.

Daemons can be a formidable foe, especially if they take you by surprise. They have high intelligence and are capable of casting up to seventh circle spells. It is not uncommon for them to let lose with a few flamestrikes, an explode, and then follow up with poison.

They drop from about 400-850 gold, though you will sometimes find more if a daemon has looted other corpses. Often their loot will also include jewels, scrolls, and magic items. They drop virtue items that deal damage against elementals (flame dousing, blood drinking, elemental health, etc) and also scorpions (scorpion's bane). In addition, there is also the chance they carry a level 4 treasure map. When a bladed item is used on a daemon, it produces one raw rib and no hides.

Daemons spawn on Avatar Isle at the daemon temple, the halls of Wind, Fire dungeon level two, Hythloth levels 2-4, and as part of the guardian chest spawn for treasure maps that are level 4 or 5. Daemons also spawn in Ilshenar.

The daemons of UO have a long list of names: Eligor, Agalierept, Glassyalabolas, Vaelfar, El Chupacabra, Faraii, Aamon, Astaroth, Starr, a daemon, a cacodaemon, a beastly daemon, Clauneck, Bucon, Sargatans, Marbas, Bechard, Surgat, Hael, Aglasis, Ayperos, Azrael, Baal, Ba'al, Beelzebub, Be'elzebubba, Botis, Buer, Clitheret, Cthulu, Eleogap, Frucissiere, Fleurty, Fruitimiere, Gusoyn, Haristum, Heramael, Hiepacth, Huictiigara, Khil, Mephistopheles, Mersilde, Molech, Morail, Musisin, Naberrs, Nebiros, Nebirots, Nyarlahotep, Pentagnony, Proculo, Pruslas, Rofocale, Sirchade, Sustugriel, Tarchimache, Trimasel, Wormius, and Zoray. The stratics hunter's guide lists another daemon name, Tyriel, but I have never encountered this one so I don't believe this is an active name. I would be interested to know if anyone has encountered him, or has any additions to this name list. (Note: Do not include Balron names, they get their own feature. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif)

Now it's your turn to reflect on daemons. Perhaps you know about their spawn points in Ilshenar, have an anecdote to tell, or just a haiku to share. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

I

Ihsans_Shade

just a side note i belive they also spawn on destard Lvl 2 /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

soz but i suck at haikus

"Ihsan, the weak. Ihsan, the fallen. Ihsan, the betrayer.
He brought shame to the Serra Paladins where none existed before. May his suffering equal his betrayal."

G

<font color=000080> they shouldn't spawn in destard as that dungeon is the designated "dragon kin" land.

But then again, I haven't been there in about 2 years so I dunno anymore ;)

Gwenllian~~ Grandmaster Tamer of Great Lakes
X'antha ~~ Grandmaster Crafter of Great Lakes

<font color=000080>In memory of the ones who live on in the dream within a dream... and walk beside us, upon their silent feet...

E

Elyssar

That's right, they do indeed spawn in with the shadow wyrms...I've only been to that level once, as a ghost on test center. Any other spawn spots we're missing? *scratches her head*

P

Phoenix2000

yes that is correct....destard level 2 has em....cause i made the mistake of taking a dragon down there....he did ok against he daemons, drakes, and wyverns down there.....but Mr. Shadow Wyrm showed up and ...... well, bye bye dragon.

<center>

<font color=FF3030>Lord Jaster Mereel of Great Lakes, <a target="_blank" href=http://my.uo.com/cgi-bin/guilds.pl?g=da0ec5c2f2d7a2c2:3>Shadow Knights (S-K)</a></font color=FF3030> </center>

L

Lightice_av

Cthulhu? Nyarlathotep?!! This is blashpemy!! High pries of Great Old Ones and the Soul and Messager of the Other Gods are made fun by OSI! When the stars are right they shall be avenged!!

Don't take that part seriously, but I wish that they'd have invented names themselves or got them from somewhere else than Lovecrafts books. I'm a really big fan of his and hes inventions shouldn't be misunderstood of being Ultima stuff...I'm propably overreacting but I haven't slept in all night so I am a bit tired and can write stuff like this...

Hey! Aa-shanta 'Nygh!

M

Mishkin

After killing about 1000 of them I finally got an accurate, indestructable silver vanq Katana. Happened just yesterday.
:eek:)

W

WolfZbane

Whoopie! I'll give my list with explanations on the origin of the names tomorrow. I'm too tired now...

E

Elyssar

OSI did add some of their own inventions to the list of 60-odd names. Starr, for example, was a member of their staff. Many of the others come from ancient religions and their names for devils...El Chupacabra, the spanish goatsucker. But I'm sure WolfZBane will educate us all in the matter of daemon names tomorrow... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

C

Crickett

I got a nice surp. accurate silver broad of power from one.. that was cool. :)

&lt;Begin Signature Here&gt;

W

WolfZbane

Sure I will. I'll collect all my grimoires and I'll see what I can find.

W

WindKeeper4

i have yet to get anything good from those bat winged numbskulls, i'll start working on a haiku now

<center><font color=9A32CD>All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments of revelation</font color=9A32CD></center>

L

Lightice_av

*smiles*
I wasn't too serious. I just like Lovecraft, that's all.
My sigs text (I haven't quite gotten yet all parts of using photoshop. I already have picture to mess with) is from one of his books, the Dream Quest to Unknown Kadath. Those are the words of Nyarlathotep, the Cawling Chaos when he farewells Randolph Carter.
"Farewell Randolph Carter and pray from the great space that you will never meet me in my other thousand forms! Farewell Randolph Carter and look forth, as I am Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos!"

Hey! Aa-shanta 'Nygh!

W

WolfZbane

Hmm... that's one story I still have to read... So it has Nyarlathotep in it... Nice... I just finished "The Horror at Red Hook" Great story...

btw. mate, if you are such a Lovecraft reader, you must remember Wormius: he is the one that translated the Al Azif into the Latin Necronomicon!

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by WolfZbane on 07/14/01 05:51 PM.</FONT></P>

G

When on treasure maps, always provoke daemons onto the Ogre Lords. The OLs tear through them like wet paper. Otherwise, they're just a minor annoyance. They're not very strong at all.

<font color=006400>Thaqui, Grandmaster Tamer of Catskills</font color=006400>
<font color=00008B>Dreafor, Lvl 4 Treasure Hunter and recovering alcoholic</font color=00008B> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/pint.gif

W

WindKeeper4

darkest and most vile
you fly across the night sky
chaos in your wake

<center><font color=9A32CD>All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments of revelation</font color=9A32CD></center>

L

Lightice_av

Yes, I remember him, but he did exist also in real life and Lovecraft just took his name to his book. And names of Azathoth and Cthulhu he took from sumerian legends. They have "Kutulu" and "Azak-Thoth". For me knowing that was quite surprizing. Go to www.stormloader.com/sanctuary if you wish to know more. Don't get scared just becouse it tells how so summon the spirit of the Great Cthulhu and some other rituals. It holds also lots of interesting stuff about Lovecrafts literature...

Hey! Aa-shanta 'Nygh!

W

WolfZbane

No, there is no Sumerian Kutulu or Azak-Thoth. You took that from the Necronomicon of Simon. But that one is very incomplete and filled with lies.

*grins* Most of the grimoires mentioned there, are in my personal collection. The Goetia has always been a source of interest. Nice site, creator seems a Chaos Magician.

*checks the site again and starts to laugh about that cute "karmic disclaimer"*

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by WolfZbane on 07/14/01 07:28 PM.</FONT></P>

W

WindKeeper4

don't mock the karmic disclaimer, what you sow you returns to ye multiplied thrice. that applies to physical action as well as mental ones.

B

Blakhart

Both good and ill shall return to you seven times seven. Or so some people of higher thinking believe. Myself, in my own amalgam of the religions that I go with, believe that you reap what you sow. You do good, you get good. So there, karma wrapped up in a quick nutshell. Trust me, the only time you worry about something coming back to you three times is if it is good. One time of evil will keep your mind occupied for a long time.

On the subject of demons though, aren't you able to summon them in the hedge maze tower on the felluca side of the shards? Or did they 86 that notion. I know that on the trammel side of the atlantic shard, once you get in the tower and get to the top, there is a demon summoning scroll, but it wont let you use it.

I would not mind having demons in the hedge maze. It would be pretty cool.

No haiku this time,
Brain is fried, I can not rhyme.
Hmmm, this is haiku.

Don't look at me that way. It was the only haiku I could come up that fast. I did not want to be left out of the fun. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif Just noticed that I did rhyme. Oops.

W

WolfZbane

Do you actually think a disclaimer changes a karmic reaction? He may have used his magical name, but I still believe the karma hit would return back to him. Instead of a disclaimer, one should give an Oath.

B

Blakhart

It doesn't matter what other people believe when they read the disclaimer. All that matters is that in his mind, he did good, and kept order the best way he could from where he was. Something like that at least.

I always liked Crowley best for words of wisdom that I say every morning when I wake:

"Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law. Love is the Law. Love under will."

Just keeps me going in those times of need. Of course my nightmares are filled with things from Lovecraft. Like the time my friends painted in deep red paint, on my wall, for me to find in the middle of a nightmare, the words: "That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with stranger eons, even death may die." Not a good thing to wake up to words that look like blood, written in the phrase speaking of the great old one Cthulhu. I had just finished playing a really harsh game of Call of Cthulhu with my friends, and boy was I freaked, and incidentally, tripping like I had eaten two baskets of mushrooms. So all in all, acid makes me ramble about nothing in particular nowadays and I am sure that you good people are tired of hearing me just toodle on. You MUST slap me to get me to stop. Hit me. HIT ME! *SLAP* *SLAP* *SLAP* O K OK Stop, you just had to hit me once. Geez.

gone

G

Eek.. daemons are one of the best creatures in UO, they can provide generous amounts of wealth, give you lord on your warrior, and provide you with extra resist gains :). They are tuff, but ive found, like many mages, after their mana runs dry they aren't that hard to kill. I wouldn't want to see all of those monsters in that pic at the same time though :).

G.v.P

That's the last time I go to a UO BBQ...

W

WolfZbane

Anyways: the names of the deamons.

Eligor: According to the Goetia "A great duke, appearing as a goodly knight carrying a lance, pennon and sceptre. He discovers hidden things, causes war, marshals armies, kindles love and lust"
Agalierept: named "Agaliarept" in the Grimorium Verum and a servant of Lucifer. He resides in Europe and Asia. Agaliarept in mentioned in the Grand Grimoire as well, but is there a commander that "has the faculty of discovering arcane secrets in all the courts and council-chambers of the world; he also unveils the most sublime mysteries"
Glassyalabolas: Another spirit from the Goetia that's "a mighty president, who comes in the form of a dog, but winged like a griffin (suggests wings of gold or iron - W). He teaches all arts and sciences instantaneously, incites to bloodshed, is the leader of homicides, discerns past and future, and makes men invisible"
Vaelfar: Known as Valefar in both the Grand Grimoire and the Goetia. In the first desribed as inferior to Sargantanas. In the Goetia described as: "a powerful duke, appearing as a manyheaded lion. He leads those with whom he is familiar into theft."
El Chupacabra: a legendary entity from Puerto Rico. It's said to be a demon/alien/scientific experiment that eats humans and cattle by sucking their entrails and blood out of them. "El Chupacabra" means litterly: the Goatsucker.
Faraii: a demon mentioned in the Grand Grimoire. Subject to Sargantanas.
Aamon: Originally the God of Creation of the Egypts, Amon or Amoun, by the Christians demonized (as with many other deities). He appears in many grimoires. The Goetia gives this description: "a strong and powerful marquis, who appears like a wolf with a serpents head and vomiting flame. When so orders, he assumes a human shape, but with the teeth of a dog (another MS says as well "and a great head like a mighty raven"). He discerns past and future, procures love and reconciles friends and foes." The Grand Grimoire claims that he is a servant to Satanachia.
Astaroth: one of the other many deities demonized by the Christians. Originally the male demon is a female goddess, known as Astarte. Astarte was a fertility deity and Queen of the Heavens. Astaroth is derived from one of her titles (I think it was Astarteroth) that means "Queen of the Stars".
Astaroth is known in many grimoires. The Grand Grimoire says that Astaroth is the Grand Duke of Hell (being third in command). The Grimorium Verum claims that Astaroth is one of the 3 superior demons, along with Lucifer and Beelzebuth. The Goetia says that "a great and powerfull duke, appears like a beautiful angel (another version says "a foul angel" though - W) riding on an infernal dragon and carrying a viper in his right hand. He must not be permitted to approach on account of his stinking breath and the magician must defend his face with the magic ring (otherwise the stench, said to the odour of pure evil would kill the magician - W) . Astaroth answers truly concerning past, present and future, discovers all secrets and gives great skill in the liberal sciences. He will also discourse willingly concerning the fall of spirits ("but prentends that he himself was exampt from their lapse" according to Wierus - W).
The Grimoire of Honorius claims that he should be summoned on wednesday and to obtain "good graces from kings and others."
Starr: The name is Starr, Kenneth Starr. Ex-OSI employee that played Blackthorn. Once again joined forces with Garriot at Destination Games.
Claunek: a demon descibed in the Grimorium Verum. He "has power over goods and riches; he can discover hidden treasures to him that makes pact with him; he can bestow great wealth; for he is well loved by Lucifer. He brings money from a distance. Obey him and he will obey thee."
Bucon: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum. Subordinate to Hael and Sergulath. He has the ability to "excite hatred and jeaulousy between the two sexes."
Sargatens: demon mentioned in the Grand Grimoire. Is a Brigadier-Major and has the powers to "make a person invisible, to transport him anywhere, to open all locks, to reveal whatsoever is taking place in private houses, to teach all the arts of the shepherds (magic?)"
Marbas: Mentioned in both the Grand Grimoire and the Goetia. In the Grand Grimoire, he's a demon serving Lucifuge Rofocale. In the Goetia, he's descipted as "a president, who appears as a mighty lion, and then in human shape. He answers truly concerning all things hidden and secret, cuases and cures diseases, imparts skill in mechanics and changes men into various shapes.
Bechard: once again a demon from the Grimorium Verum. He "has power over winds and tempests, over lightning, hail and rain, by means of a charm with toads and other things of this nature, et cetera" Mentioned in the Grimoire of Honorius, who claims that Bechard must be evoked on a friday.
Surgat: again a demon from the Grimorium Verum, said to open all locks. Mentioned in the Grimoire of Honorius, who claims that Surgat must be evoked on a sunday.
Hael: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum. Subordinate to Nebirot and instructs "in the art of writing all kinds of letters, gives an immediate power of speaking all kinds of tongues and explains the most secret things."
Aglasis: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum. Subordinate to Hael and Sergulath. He's who "transports through the whole world".
Ayperos: a demon mentioned in the Grand Grimoire, subject to Nebiros.
Azrael: not exactly appropriate in this list, as Azrael is the angel of death.
Baal: A deity that's even mentioned in the Bible. He ain't exactly a God, but more of a title. Baal means "Lord" and is used in many ways. Also known as Bael or Ba'al, he is one of the more superior demons. Mentioned in the Grand Grimoire as servant of Lucifuge Rofocale, the Goetia depicts him as: "a king ruling in the east, who imparts invisibility and wisdom. He appears with a human head, or with that of a toad or cat, but sometimes all at once, with the body of a spider. He spreaks with a hoarse voice."
Ba'al: see Baal
Beelzebub: In the Bible mentioned as the Ruler of Demons. Originally a deity whose correct name is Baal ze Bul: Lord of the House. He was a God of the dead and the world of the dead. He was a psychopompus and guided the souls of the dead, who appeared as flies (Wierus mentions Beelzebub as the Councelor and Creator of the Order of the Fly! And in the Dictionaire Infernal, Beelzebub appears in the sickening shape of some kind of moth!). In both the Grand Grimoire and the Grimorium Verum, he is one of the three 'überdemons' and carries the title of Prince. The Grimorium Verum claims that he rules over the continent Africa.
Be'elzebubba: - see Beelzebub.
Botis: appearing in the Goetia as a "great president and earl, who appears like a horrid viper, but, when commanded, assumes the human shape, with large teeth and horns. He bears a sharp sword in his hand, discerns past, present and future and reconciles friends and foes" In the Grand Grimoire, he is subordinate to Agaliarept.
Buer: a spirit mentioned in the Goetia. "A great president, who appears when the sun is in Sagittarius (archer) and teaches philosophy, logic, the virtues of herbs et cetera. He heals all diseases anf gives good familiars." According to the Grand Grimoire, subject to Agaliarept.
Clitheret: originally Clistheret, a demon from the Grimorium Verum that "makes day or night about thee with pleasure"
Cthulu: a fictional demon created by H. P. Lovecraft. He is one of the Old Ones (sometimes mentioned as their High Priest). He appears as a large dragonlike creature, with slim wings and a tentacled head.
Eleogap: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum and named there as Elelogap. Subordinate to Agalierept and Tarihimal and "whose power is over water"
Frucissiere: a demon from the Grimorium Verum with the unique ability to bring the dead back to live (i.o.w. Necromancy).
Fleurty: known as Fleurity in the Grand Grimoire and the Grimorium Verum. In the latter, he is subject to Beelzebuth and inhabits Africa. In the former, a Lieutenant-General of Hell. He "has the power to perform any labour during the night and to cause hailstones in any required place. He controls a prodigious army."
Fruitimiere: a demon from the Grimorium Verum that "dights thee all kinds of festivals"
Gusoyn: a demon mentioned in the Grand Grimoire. Subordinate to Agaliarept. However, the Goetia gives another description: "a mighty duke, who appears like a cynocephalus (a dog-ape: baboon - W), discerns the past, present and future, answers all questions, reconciles enemies and gives honour and dignities"
Haristum: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum. Subject to both Sergulath and Hael and who "gives the power of passing unsinged through the fire"
Heramael: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum. Subordinate to Satanachia and "teaches the art of medicine, gives absolute knowledge of all diseases, with their full and radical cure, makes known all plants in general, the places where they grow, the times of their gathering, their virtues also and their composition for the attainment of a perfect cure."
Hiepacth: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum that "will bring thee a distant person in an instant"
Huictiigara: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum that "occasions sleep and waking in some, and inflicts others with insomnia"
Khil: a demon from the Grimorium Verum that causes great earthquakes.
Mephistopheles: a famous demon. He ain't mentioned in any of the big grimoires, but is reknown because of his pact with Faust. His name means "He who hates the light"
Mersilde: a demon from the Grimorium Verum that can "teleport thee instantly wheresoever may be desired"
Molech: the legendary deity also known as Moloch. Said to have children be worshipped to him by burning them alive (adult initation?). Wierus (an occultist that wrote a famous grimoire, though with a lot of fakery in it) claims that Moloch is the Prince of the Land of Tears and Grand Cross of the Order of the Fly.
Morail: Found nothing, and that annoys me...
Musisin: a demon mentioned in the Gimorium Verum. He has "power over great lords; he instructs them in all that passes in the Republics and the realms of the Allies"
Naberrs: a demon mentioned in the Grand Grimoire. Inferior to Nebiros.
Nebiros: According to the Grand Grimoire the Field-Marshal and Inspector-General of Hell. He "has the power to inflict evil on whomsoever he will; he discovers the Hand of Glory and reveals every virtue of metals, minerals, vegetables, as also of all animals, both pure and impure. He possesses the art of predicting things to come, being one of the greatest Necromancers in all the Infernal Hierarchies; he goes to and fro everywhere and inspects the hordes of perdition" In the Grimorium Verum, he is subordinate to Astaroth and dwells in America.
Nebirots: - see Nebiros
Nyarlahotep: Check out one of the posts above.
Pentagnony: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum. Subordinate to Hael and Sergulath, he "renders invisible and also beloved by great lords"
Proculo: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum. Subordinate to Hael and Sergulath he "gives sleep for twenty-four hours, with knowledge of the spheres of sleep"
Pruslas: a demon mentioned in the Grand Grimoire, a servant of Satanachia.
Rofocale: the incomplete title of the Prince of Darkness. The complete title is Lucifuge (note the "fuge" part! It's Latin for "to flee" instead of "to bear/carry" used in Lucifer - W) Rofocale. The Grand Grimoire claims him to be the Prime Minister, thus being the supreme ruler of hell. The Grimoire gives a long ritual for summoning him, after which the deal for the soul is made. Lucifuge Rofocale is specialzed in money and gold, though he can actually do everything, as long as he gets his price.
Sirchade: a demon from the Grimorium Verum that has the power to "shew thee all kinds of animals, of whatsoever nature they may be" Mentioned in the Grimoire of Honorius, who claims that Sirchade must be evoked on a thursday.
Sustugriel: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum. Is subordinate to Satanachia. "Teaches magical art; he gives familiar spirits for all things that can be desired and furnishes mandragores"
Tarchimache: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum. Inferior to Beelzebub.
Trimasel: a demon mentioned in the Grimorium Verum. Inferior to Satanchia. He "takes chemistry and allsleight in hand. He imparts the true secret for confecting the powder of projection which changes imperfect metals - lead, iron, pewter, copper and quicksilver - into true good silver and good gold, namely, Sun and Moon, according to the ferment thereof (metals can be attributed to the planets. Lead = Saturn, Iron = Mars, Pewter = Jupiter, Copper = Venus, Quicksilver = Mercury, Silver = Moon and Gold = Sun - W). Only he must be satisfied with the operator, if the operator would be satisfied with him."
Wormius: Wormius is a fictional character made by the famous writer H.P. Lovecraft. He was a human that translated the Al Azif of the Mad Arab Abdul Al Hazred to Latin, thus giving it it's reknown Greek name: the Necronomicon. Both Wormius as the Necronomicon are fictional characters, allthough some people actually believe in the existence of the Necronomicon. This created 3 Necronomicons, all 3 of them written in the last 30 years.
Zoray: a demon mentioned in the Grand Grimoire. Is inferior to Sargatanas.
Tyriel: Not found. Maybe Turiel?

Oh, this took me 3 hours, now my head hurts...

W

WolfZbane

"That which is not dead..." is a verse describing the Nameless City, not Chtulhu.

L

Lightice_av

No, it was also in one magazine of Lovecraftian fans. It was terminated a couple of years back, but well, I still belive in at least some parts of Necronomicon by Simon, if for nothing else, for that trouble of making so long online grimoire. Who would really just throw something like that up?

Hey! Aa-shanta 'Nygh!

L

Lightice_av

True, but Lovecraft also told in Call of Cthulhu that Cthulhu Cult had no real texts written of it, but from Necronomicon you could find something that could make you think about it. Like that "It's not dead which eteral may lie, through a strange eons even death may die".

Hey! Aa-shanta 'Nygh!

W

WolfZbane

It's not an online grimoire. It is an actual book, published by Avon Books. The guy is going to have copywrite problems when they find out.

L

Lightice_av

Heh.
It seems that many people want to talk either about lovecraftian things or names of daemons.
Nice chat indeed...

Hey! Aa-shanta 'Nygh!

W

WolfZbane

*thinks for a short while, takes "The Nameless City" and starts to write*
"It was for this place that Addul Alhazred the mad poet dreamed on the night before he sang his unexplainable couplet:

'That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons death may die'"

W

WolfZbane

Of course you can "Do what thou willt" but only when you follow your True Will. Oh, and about "Love is the Law. Love under Will" you do know that that is a sexual-magick formulae right?

B

blacktsun

Daemons are now also spawning in the hedge maze, at least in Chesapeake. Often two or three at a time, with a dozen or so imps, in the center of the maze. You can usually find one or two deamons and four or five imps wandering in the actual maze.

L

Lightice_av

I belive that Simon gave his promise to Azkinoz. That page has existed at least for three years and it's still there...

Hey! Aa-shanta 'Nygh!

L

Lightice_av

I belive that Azkinoz has Simon's permission about that thing. It has been there for ages and nobody has complaint.

Hey! Aa-shanta 'Nygh!

W

WolfZbane

Yeah, I read your post mate, don't you worry...

In that case Simon has lost his interest in cash, or the grimoire ain't complete.

E

Elyssar

Nice job Wolf

I personally think Morail's name came from Monorail, a sometimes annoying form of transit.

But then I also call Bucon Bacon. *shrug*

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Good info, you get a smiley. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

V

Volvarus

"Baal: A deity that's even mentioned in the Bible. He ain't exactly a God, but more of a title. Baal means "Lord" and is used in many ways. Also known as Bael or Ba'al, he is one of the more superior demons. Mentioned in the Grand Grimoire as servant of Lucifuge Rofocale, the Goetia depicts him as: "a king ruling in the east, who imparts invisibility and wisdom. He appears with a human head, or with that of a toad or cat, but sometimes all at once, with the body of a spider. He spreaks with a hoarse voice."

Cool! Just like Baal in the opening movie of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.

"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?" /php-bin/shared/images/icons/lick3.gif -Jack Handey

W

WindKeeper4

please no one mention crowley ever again. as for oaths and disclaimers they don't really count what does count is that no one can hide from karmic returns. and in that vein, those deamons are up for a way long invasion. i hope thats what the next scenario is, invasion of the deamon hordes, at least they won't be so annoying as orcs and savages.

W

WolfZbane

Why not to mention Crowley, TO MEGA THERION? He's the prophet of the new Aeon and the one that establishes an entirely new philosophy and Magick.

W

WolfZbane

Let me guess: he carried a large crown as well? There is a picture of Bael in the Dictionnaire Infernal drawn by Louis Breton. It's quite a famous picture among occultists. I'll see if I can fetch it from somewhere...

Bingo, found him. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.thestargoddess.net/bael.htm>www.thestargoddess.net/bael.htm</a>

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by WolfZbane on 07/16/01 03:22 AM.</FONT></P>

W

WindKeeper4

crowley is just ugh

V

Volvarus

No, he didn't have a crown on. The whole spider-body was on him though. He looked like a terrathan with arms coming out of his back as well.

"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?" /php-bin/shared/images/icons/lick3.gif -Jack Handey

E

euphrates

Never saw one with the name tyriel....i think this is becasue Tyriel is an archangel and not a deamon

I'am the light
I'am there when you are born
I'am there when you die
I'll always be there

Ko'i'nor Mountain of Light

B

Breathless

about their loot:
(i saw others posted the loot they got and thought i can do this too)
indestructable.... longsword of vanq
2 days ago i was down in wind to train my first selftamed mare. i killed lots of deamons (yep i was a bad camper, but only once a mage came around and we had a nice little decission and he joined for a few deamons) and got 24k gold, a broad of summer wind, a scim of elemtal ban and a few fortification armor pieces. i thought that was rather cool, b/c all the deamons i killed with my warrior and 2 mates only had crap loot.

Z

Zeon the mage

hey man i love that picture under your name. Is that from sincity? those cartoons rock hehe.

*Lights a Smoke* Thy Spirit Hath Recovered!

W

WolfZbane

*nods* Yep, it's Slick of Sinfest, the one and only! *grins*

G

Let's not talk about Crowley anymore- the Thelemites who might be hanging around on this board could start getting real angry, hearing the Law diminished to "sex magick". *sighs* It's always best to just stay away from a "religious" topic on a public board like this, one of those 3 things that are bound to lead to arguements- religion, politics, and food. People get extra angry about food for some reason. . .

Now, the Lovecraft thing. . .I was really disappointed upon meeting my first daemon, considering I saw "Nyarlathotep" coming at me off the edge of the screen, only to meet- a big, red, boring standard daemon. It still gets me every time I see the Lovecraftian names on the daemons, just not right somehow. I don't ever remember the Old Ones even being compared with daemons, but OSI apparently couldn't get their hands on a decent Grimoire to steal names from =P. They'll get theirs when the stars are right though.

Tekelili

"Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with peanut sauce."

W

WolfZbane

ACK! I totally forgot to give a decent background on deamons as a species! *hits head* Ok, time for some cut and paste.

<blockquote><hr>

In general, a demon may be defined as a malicious spirit who does harm to human beings. In this sense, demons have been recognized since the time of the ancient Sumerians and Babylonians.

The culture of the Mesopotamian valley was particularly rich in demon lore. Demons were usually the spirits of natural forces such as fire, plagues, droughts, infant crib death, and diseases, and often took the form of fantastically-shaped creatures made up of a conglomeration of parts from dangerous or dreaded living things such as scorpions, serpents, lions, hawks, and so on. For example, Pazuzu, the Sumerian demon who attained celebrity status after his cameo appearance in the horror film The Exorcist, is a demon of disease who has four wings, the clawed feet of a hawk, and a snarling lion-like face.

The Mesopotamians viewed themselves as under constant attack from demons on all sides. Their only recourse was to fight against them with magic. They placed special bowls inscribed with potent word charms upside down under the foundations of their houses to catch demons and prevent them from entering the houses through the ground. They also made amulets with avertive verses against specific demons, such as those that might threaten the life of women during childbirth.

During their period of Babylonian captivity, the ancient Hebrews absorbed many Sumerian demons into their own folklore, and over time these were transmuted into uniquely Jewish demons, such as Lilith, the demon who strangles children in their cribs and visits solitary men in their beds to provoke nocturnal emissions. Lilith began her life as a class of Babylonian demon known as the lilitu.

In addition to the direct personification of the forces of nature, demons were formed by the vilification of the gods and goddesses of other cultures. Many of the medieval demons mentioned in the Old Testament, such as Ashtaroth and Baal, are the gods of Middle Eastern peoples other than the Hebrews.

The modern concept of demons owes many of its key features to the influence of Christian folklore and theological doctrine, which were heavily influenced by Jewish beliefs through the Old Testament. In Christianity, a demon is not just a malicious spirit, but a spirit of hell sent to Earth by the Devil to enforce his authority or to carry out his purposes.

Just as angels are the agents of God who act with divine authority to do good works among men, so demons are the agents of Lucifer who act with infernal authority to do works of evil. Indeed, in Jewish, Islamic and Christian mythology, Lucifer was himself once an angel of heaven who defied God.

Seeking to overthrow God and rule heaven, Lucifer assembled an army of apostate angels and initiated a war in heaven. He and his angels were defeated by Michael and the angels who remained loyal to God, and were thrown down from heaven to hell. In their fallen state these angels of hell are supposed in Christian lore to be of hideous aspect, filthy, deformed and base.

Lucifer seeks to harass God by plaguing mankind with a multitude of troubles, and by inciting human beings to defy God. He uses his fallen angels as his agents, sending them abroad across the face of the world to incite and commit evil. Every time he succeeds in inducing a human to defy God, Lucifer gains another soldier in his rebellious army.

It is not always made clear how the demons of Lucifer can appear upon the earth when they have been cast down and bound in hell. Apparently, as we may gather from the Book of Job, Lucifer is able to walk upon the surface of the earth but is not permitted to directly injure human beings. He is even able to enter heaven!

It is written in the first chapter of Job that when the Sons of God, who are the good angels of heaven, present themselves before the Lord on some formal occasion, Lucifer gate-crashes the assembly. God asks him, "Whence commest thou?" Lucifer answers "From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."

God begins to boast to Lucifer about his servant Job, saying that there is no man like him, that he is a perfect and upright man. Lucifer cuts God off and asserts that Job is only a holy man because he enjoys God's blessings. He says he can make Job curse God to his face if God removes his protection. God takes the Devil up on this gentleman's wager, saying to Lucifer "Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thy hand." The events in the Book of Job are the result.

We may gather from this fable that Lucifer is not bound to hell exclusively, but is only bound not to injure those humans who are afforded the protection of God. A human being is protected by God for so long as he or she remains obedient. When a person defies the will and commandments of God, then he or she becomes prey for Lucifer.

Under ordinary circumstances Lucifer cannot directly hurt persons under God's protection, which is why he needed a special dispensation from God to injure Job's property and family. However, we are able to gather from other hints in the Bible and in Christian and Jewish folklore that Lucifer is free to suggest to human beings that they voluntarily defy God. Once a person does so, he or she forfeits the protection of God. Then Lucifer is permitted to commit injuries upon the person. What is true of Lucifer himself applies to his agents, the demons.

In a nutshell, this is the Christian demon myth. Demons are tempters of men because they are forbidden to injure human beings who obey God. But if through the temptation of a demon a person can be induced to disobey God, that person is demon fodder. Effectively, they join Lucifer's army of apostate fallen angels, although at a very subordinate rank.

From a Fundamentalist Christian point of view, all those who fail to worship Christ are disobedient to God, and therefore prey for the demons who walk and swim and fly upon the earth. Much the same belief concerning those of other religions is held by Fundamentalist Islamics and Jews.

In a broader inter-religious sense, anyone of any religion who strives to do good is afforded protection against the injuries of demons by God; but anyone who knowingly commits acts of evil loses that protection and becomes Beelzebub's chew-toy. This is more or less the modern view of demons held by those who believe that traditional demons actually exist.

We see this belief surfacing again and again in all sorts of folk forms. The Ouija board is thought by some to open a doorway to hell, allowing demons to possess those who unwittingly use the board. However, these unfortunate dabblers in the occult, who in films always seem to be teenagers guilty of drinking beer and necking in the back seat of cars, can save themselves from the talons of the demons if they burn the board and give themselves in the service of Christ through fervent prayers.

In Christian writings demons in the strictest sense -- those fallen angels who remained loyal to Lucifer in hell -- were continually being confused with pagan deities and with nature spirits. Thus we find mention of the demon Satyr who incites men and women to lust, and the demon Theutus, who induces the urge to gamble for money with cards or dice. The satyr is a nature spirit of Greek mythology, and Theutus is a degenerate variation on the name of the Egyptian god Thoth, who was associated by the Greeks with numbers, and by extension with money.

In the Dark Ages and Middle Ages, demons were thought able to travel on the earth invisibly, but to assume physical bodies at will. The same was understood concerning angels. This has a certain logic. In order to tempt human beings, demons need to remain invisible while they whisper seductive words or cause opportunities to commit sin to fall across the paths of their intended victims. But in order to murder their victims once their temptations succeed, demons need to have teeth and talons capable of ripping flesh.

The modern view of demons, among those who believe demons in the Christian sense to exist, is that demons are usually invisible but are capable of revealing their forms at their pleasure. It is not so widely accepted that demons can make their forms material. The modern demon is thought to punish those who give in to its temptations by possessing the victim's body and using it against the victim and the loved ones of the victim. Frequently the possessing demon causes the victim to commit a horrible crime, such as the mass murder of elementary school children, before committing suicide.

Some believe that the majority, and perhaps all, of the senseless crimes of violence, torture, perversion and hatred committed in the modern world can be attributed to the actions of possessing demons who have succeed in their efforts to tempt human beings to sins of evil, and having gained control over sinners by this means, are then free to use them as instruments to commit even greater works of evil. The karmic consequences for these greater crimes fall upon the soul of the damned human being possessed by the demon, not upon the demon itself.

In effect, once a person has acquiesced to the temptations whispered into his ear by an invisible demon that haunts his steps as he goes about his ordinary life, the demon is given a blank check by God to use that person to commit the most atrocious acts the demon can imagine.

Not all of those possessed by demons commit mass murder and kill themselves. More often they continue to live in spiritual torment and self-loathing, periodically committing little acts of spite and malice, while the demon that inhabits their body delights in their despair and hatred. According to this opinion, which seems to me to have considerable merit, the prisons are filled with those who have voluntarily given up control over their own souls and are hosts to demons.

The longer a demon holds residence within a person, the more difficult it is for that person to cast the demon out. Rituals of exorcise can aid an individual to expel a demon, but are only effective when the afflicted person sincerely wants to be helped.

A demon is expelled when its host simply refuses to obey its directives to commit criminal and hurtful actions. There is no advantage for a demon when a human being ignores its temptations, and ceases to surrender to its abuse and intimidations. The demon leaves.

The notion that the name of Jesus in itself has power over demons was disproved by the Biblical incident of the Jewish exorcists who attempted to use the names of Jesus and the apostle Paul as magical words of power to cast out a possessing demon from a man. The demon said through the voice of its human host "Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?" The demon then used its host body to beat the Jewish priests until they were compelled to flee for their lives.

This story is usually interpreted to mean that only a follower of Christ can cast out demons in his name, but it seems to me to indicate that a desire to be free from the demon is necessary on the part of the person possessed, and if this desire is absent, mere words and names are of little use. The Jewish priests were not offering the possessed man salvation for his soul, but were merely attempting to intimidate the demon into leaving.

Lists of demons occur in some of the darker grimoires, notable among them the Lemegeton or Lesser Key of Solomon. This is a collection of tracts about ritual evocation and spirit magic. The first tract is named The Goetia and consists of a descriptive list of the seventy-two demons which were bound by King Solomon with his magic seal ring in a vessel of brass or copper, and cast into a lake (or the sea -- accounts differ).

To modern eyes, medieval images of demons may appear comical and quaint. You should realize that these images, and the understanding that Christian demonologists had about them, were merely unsophisticated attempts to come to terms with real, perceived phenomena of daily life.

People suffer temptations, sometimes temptations of the most horrible and perverse nature, for no clear reason. They commit grotesque crimes of violence against animals, human beings, and even against themselves, with the foreknowledge that these acts are hurtful to their own self-interests. They sometimes become possessed by spiritual beings and lose the ability to control their words and actions, or even the awareness of what their bodies are doing.

Those who have committed unspeakable acts sometimes state that they felt themselves to be in a kind of trance, distantly aware of what they were doing, but unable to stop themselves. They say it was like watching the crime unfold on a television screen; as though it had been committed by someone else.

How many know persons who seem to have every advantage in life, yet who willfully and perversely set about destroying themselves through the use of drugs or alcohol, or by committing perverse and dangerous sexual acts, or by abusing their own bodies with unnecessary medical procedures, excessive dieting, over-eating or smoking? How many know persons who are unable to control their own anger or desires no matter how important it is to do so?

These unfortunate individuals seem to be driven to self-destructive actions by an evil will that is present within them, but is separate from their own will. Sometimes this self-destructive behavior is overt, as in the case of physical self-abuse and suicide attempts. Other times it takes the form of malicious or criminal actions directed outwardly against family, friends or strangers. Yet always its ultimate result is the destruction of the individual soul that voluntarily commits these actions.

If you dismiss the image of the medieval Christian demon arising from a hole in the ground with a puff of sulfurous smoke, do not make the error of assuming that you have also dismissed the reality that demon represents. Rather than assert that demons are unreal because your own preconception of them seems ridiculous, at least consider the possibility of changing your concept of what a demon is.

Demons in one form or another have been a constant fixture of folklore and myth in all cultures around the world since the dawn of history. While this is not proof that these folk beliefs are literally true, it suggests that a core of truth exists that has sustained and defined the myths of demons over the centuries. It is nothing short of intellectual arrogance to leave unexamined so universal an aspect of human experience.

<hr></blockquote>

With thanks to Donald Tyson who wrote this article.

Note: the original daemon was named a daimon, which meant more like a neutral spirit. A daimon could be friendly or evil, it purely depended on the way you treated them. If you made sacrifices (or the daimon was in a good mood), you could get gifts and the daimon would be benevolent, when in a bad mood, you had a problem.
The real good and evil thing was invented by the Babylonian Zarathustra, who created it to serve as a political weapon. The king was being threatened by the many priests of the many different gods, so Z. came up with a good god and an evil god. The good god had appointed the king to rule, so anyone who was against the king, was a servant of the evil god. The evil god was against humanity, so he should never be followed.
All in all a very easy way to stop the problems in your country...

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by WolfZbane on 07/26/01 11:59 AM.</FONT></P>

Status
Not open for further replies.